Legion World
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 07/07/12 03:59 PM
A somewhat unhealthy food, but sinfully good.

What are your favorite toppings?

We like making our own homemade ones with Tostitos cheese dip, salsa, yogurt (as a healthier sub for sour cream), home-cooked ground beef (recipe I got from my mom!), and pickle relish.

I don't add olives cause few of my friends like it.
Okay, tried to upload an image from Facebook but it wouldn't show since my albums aren't public. Ah well...
Posted By: .. Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 07/07/12 04:16 PM
IB, upload the image to photobucket or some similiar site then link it...we should be able to see it then.

I love nachos! We usually make them once a month or so, with everything homemade if possible.
We like to top with extralean ground beef and/or chicken, green peppers, jalepeno, black olive, shredded cheddar and mozzarella, diced tomatoes (sorry Quis!!), and occassionally black beans. Served with salsa and sour cream on the side.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 07/07/12 06:56 PM
I haven't had em in ages!

ground beef, shredded cheddar (not the dip/liquid cheeses. blagh!), inion, tomato, pepper, olives, cilantro, hot peppers, black or refried beans...

salsa and guacamole on the side or poured on after roasting. (no sour cream. blagh!)
Posted By: the Hermit Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 07/07/12 07:32 PM
Personally I'm into the no-frills basic nachos. Some lime-touched chips with pepper jack melted over them.
Originally posted by Viridis Lament:
IB, upload the image to photobucket or some similiar site then link it...we should be able to see it then.

Thanks, Viridis. I'm a bit lazy to create a Photobucket account so maybe next time tongue

PS - all your nacho "recipes" sound really awesome.

Originally posted by the Hermit:
Some lime-touched chips with pepper jack melted over them.
You just mentioned the one thing I forgot in my description! I always use chips with a hint of lime - it makes a really big difference!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 07/08/12 06:46 PM
Chips, light or dark.

Beef, chicken, pork, bay shrimp, or whatever. So long as it's not greasy.

Beans, pinto or black.

Cheddar or jack.

Homemade salsa. Fruit salsas like mango or pineapple are best with shrimp or pork.

Maybe guacamole, if I'm industrious enough to make it, and a few drops of sour cream or yogurt.

Keep your damn olives to yourselves. tongue
Posted By: Rockhopper Lad Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 07/09/12 01:23 PM
Here in Texas, we're more likely to have tortilla chips with chili con queso (universally called "queso") than nachos. I can't remember the last time I had nachos, but it's not a party here without queso. laugh
drool

I am so, so hungry.

What I love most about nachos is that you can mix and match with them!

Cleome, I've tried mango salsa before but never pineapple. Never had nachos with shrimp, either. I so want to.

Rocky, mmmmmmmm. Chili con queso sounds awesome.

The nacho cheese is pretty expensive over here though,but so worth it.
I think I know what Blaze and I will make this weekend laugh

Man, am I craaaaaaaaaaaaaving!
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 08/20/12 01:11 AM
From nachos to Mobile...
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 08/20/12 03:47 AM
lol
Posted By: Pov Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 08/20/12 05:12 AM
<span style="font-size: 24px;">NACHO LIBRE'!! OLE'!!!</span>

...wait, those are Mexican wrestlers and not free nachos??? DOH! sigh
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 08/20/12 05:32 AM
back off, Povkins.

This is nacho thread to mess with!

wink
Posted By: lancesrealm Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 08/20/12 09:59 AM
How have I missed such a vital thread!?

My nachos are pretty simple. Sprinke the cheddar cheese over the chips, and microwave till the cheese is all melty. Then I dip each chip (as I eat it) in refried beans, sour cream, and i place a bit of black olive on it. Yummy, if not terrible healthy.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 08/21/12 01:31 AM
Know what ah like bout' dat food? They mine, nachos!
Originally posted by lancesrealm:
How have I missed such a vital thread!?

My nachos are pretty simple. Sprinke the cheddar cheese over the chips, and microwave till the cheese is all melty. Then I dip each chip (as I eat it) in refried beans, sour cream, and i place a bit of black olive on it. Yummy, if not terrible healthy.
I've only rarely tried nachos with refried beans, and the taste was AWESOME. I wish refried beans were more common here.

I usually sub the sour cream with plain yogurt. It doesn't taste exactly the same, but it's a good enough substitute and the yougrt gives it a certain sweetness.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 09/21/12 12:11 AM
Time to make the nachos! (Yes, it takes some elbow grease to do the chips from scratch, but it's okay. At the end I get margaritas from the spouse. I WILL persevere. Back in an hour or two!)
Posted By: Shining Son Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 09/21/12 08:30 AM
Microwaved nachos are great. It must have been what that machine was invented.

I avoided having a microwave for about 13 years partly because I tend to make nachos. Since then I realize I tend to just eat the chips and cheese separately anyway, so I go ahead and make them. Seems I eat a little less in nacho form, overall.
My friends and I microwaved Doritos with cheese on top a while back. It tasted pretty good, but still can't hold a candle to real nachos with beef and salsa.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 09/21/12 12:32 PM
Making some 'Chos tonight. Not sure what's going in them yet but I'm pumped.
So what did you end up putting on them, Cobie?
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 09/21/12 06:40 PM
Haven't decided totally yet. But so far, they shall include cheddar cheese (in that kind of a mood), roasted chicken (Lady Cobalt roasting a chicken as we speak), black olives, possibly a light sprinkle of green olives though that is up for a last minute deciz, and then on my wife's 1/3rd jalapeno peppers & banana peppers. I love peppers but can't eat them anymore, otherwise I'd throw them on.

Sour cream on the side. Possibly chilli but it might not be necessary. I think we've kind of hit the limit where any more than that violates the 'less is more' approach that I've become a believer in.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 09/21/12 06:41 PM
For the black olives, first I eat them with my son so we can put them on his fingers (getting the ones without the pits) which he thinks is funny. Then I save the rest for late for the 'chos.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 09/22/12 06:03 PM
Ingredients, in reverse order:
Sour Cream
Salsa
Guacamole
Cheddar/Pepper Jack Cheese
Black Beans
Ground dark meat turkey cooked with Herdez Chili Verde sauce
Home baked white corn chips (just brush on some olive oil and a sprinkle of Kosher salt before baking)

The salsa I made the other night contained two bright orange tomatoes from our backyard garden. They're actually called "Kellogg's Breakfast" of all things.

So we ended up with what looked like mango salsa, even though it was tomato. Really great.
^ Oh man, those are some gooooooooooooood nachos, cleome and Cobie!

Last batch I made included:

Salsa, homemade, with tomatoes, onions, lemon (lime would be better but is kinda rare here) and oregano
Olives
Ground beef using our secret family recipe
Yogurt (on a health kick and it tastes surprisingly good)
Melted cheddar cheese

Got some good ideas though... I've always used beef, but trying on some other meat sounds awesome.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 09/23/12 05:29 PM
Dark meat turkey has more fat in it than white, but also more nutrients like Zinc. Its flavor holds up better to the Verde sauce, too. (You can also drain off some of the fat post-browning. Or rinse it in a mesh strainer under warm water briefly before returning it to the fry pan. Then you add the sauce for a short simmer --maybe fifteen minutes or so, uncovered and getting an occasional stir-- but I never remove the fat because it takes the good cooking juices with it.)
I am so saving that tip. Thanks cleome smile
I miss eating nachos. Even though they make me fat, they're just so darned good.
Posted By: Shining Son Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 06/11/13 06:50 AM
Okay, it's almost 2AM here, but I have to go out for a walk or else I'll make nachos. Damn you.
Nachos. Sooo tempting.
Posted By: .. Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 06/11/13 03:49 PM
Went to a movie the other night and had nachos for my snack.
Movie nachos are pretty hard to screw up but they manage to do it on a regular basis here frown
What did they put, or fail to put, VL? frown
Tenzil makes some good nachos. Good thinking of Ayla to bring some home from the 20th century!

I just hope it's really synthesized beef that he's using...
Posted By: Shining Son Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 06/12/13 07:00 AM
Should we be questioning why you keep getting the nachos? Or is it like gambling, in that the few times they're good they're very very good?

That intermittent payoff is the most addictive I hear.
It is. This principle is also used in animal obedience training and theories of reward.
Posted By: lancesrealm Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 06/12/13 03:39 PM
I do so love nachos. Lots of refried beans and black olives and sour cream on them. Anybody want to start a "what's the best cheese for nachos" smackdown?
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 06/12/13 03:45 PM
Could use a plate of 'chos right now.
Posted By: .. Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 06/13/13 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac

The chips are often overdone
They rarely have salsa and nacho cheese at the same time
Never any other toppings, not even something as simple as jalapenos
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 06/13/13 06:33 AM
I love to say "nachos" with an accent I can't place. (Kind of a cross between California 'valley' talk and that dude from Napoleon Dynamite?!? shrug )
Originally Posted by lancesrealm
I do so love nachos. Lots of refried beans and black olives and sour cream on them. Anybody want to start a "what's the best cheese for nachos" smackdown?

Monterey Jack! But I can't resist adding sa little cheddar and parmesan into the mix.
Originally Posted by Viridis Lament
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac

The chips are often overdone
They rarely have salsa and nacho cheese at the same time
Never any other toppings, not even something as simple as jalapenos

frown

Let's have a make-your-own nachos party to make up for that!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 08/19/13 03:30 AM
Vegetarian tonight:

Yellow corn chips (round) w/pinto beans, Jack cheese, and salsa (green and yellow tomato + red chile' pepper).

w00t! Should be rockin'. (mr_cleome is also grilling zucchini and yellow squash to go on the side.)
Oh, that just sounds so heavenly. I should go buy some jack cheese and zucchini and try it out here!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 08/19/13 04:08 AM
I can't believe I actually had to purchase zucchini today. Normally, there's so much of it around this time of year that neighbors leave it on their front lawns with signs saying, "FREE!" Or "PLEASE TAKE!" The (until recently) super-cool summer in this area has obviously affected a lot of summer crops: including zucchini and tomatoes.

It was money well-spent, however.

[burrrrp!]

Now to go for a brisk walk and then have some fresh melon for dessert.
Maybe I should buy some dirt and start my own windowsill garden. I'll probably only be able to grow herbs, though. And my cooking schedule is so irregular, the last time I bought sweet potatoes they rotted before I could use them.
Ah, nachos. Blaze and I shared one with cheese sauce, sour cream, beef and olives alongside three pitchers of frozen cocktails. Our favorite - chocolate, coffee, milk and vodka.
Posted By: Power Boy Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 09/27/13 07:19 PM
I made Nachos last week. I bought a bunch of stuff at the store to make nachos tonight ... but I filled up on fish sticks.

I put refried beens, chips, tomatoes, onion and cheese. (and a bit of store bought salsa)

the tomatoes were great, store bought salsa not so much ... this time I got olives as well.

I used a mozarella chedder mix that melted great. I just threw it all in the oven but then i had to use a fork to eat it at the end.

i left some chips out of the mix so i could have some dipping chips but ... i ate them while it was baking ... so no dipping chips just gooey pan nachos!
Whenever Blaze and I go to our favorite watering hole, we get the special: 3 pitchers of cocktails and the nachos (sour cream, cheese, jalapenos, ground beef, salsa).

The nachos go great with the soco shake slammer (coffee, chocolate syrup, milk and vodka!)
Went out for dinner, and saw pizza topped with nachos, tomatoes, onions and beef. Wasn't able to order, but mmmmmm! It looked delicious!
One of my good friends celebrated his birthday recently. Flavored beer and nachos with lots of cheese and sour cream and beef and olives!

I recommend the hazelnut beer.
I had nachos with my beer the other day. So sinfully good.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 03/21/15 06:13 AM
Nachos with just cheese and jalapenos are my favorite.
I love it with cheese and jalapenos! and a dollop of yogurt, which gives creamy goodness without the guilt.

And salsa and beef, of course.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 03/21/15 11:18 AM
I like the guilt
I just had Mexican food for dinner, with Blaze. The nachos were great. As were the tacos, chili con Carne and burritos!

I like guilt occasionally too tongue
Posted By: cleome57 Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 01/16/17 12:53 PM
bump

Even though I have no chips in the house, only taco shells. I've decided to muddle through anyway.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 01/16/17 03:26 PM
Man, I could seriously go for some nachos right now! drool
Posted By: Emily Sivana Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 01/16/17 06:50 PM
I would love some nachos today. I had some chips with guacamole and dip, but it is not the same as a big pile of nachos. There is a restaurant/arcade called Level 257 near me that serves a huge pile of nachos.
Some of my classmates and I had a potluck a while back. One guy brought some delicious guacamole, and another girl brought excellent salsa. Too bad there was no cheese sauce or ground beef...

I don't have a kitchen where I stay. But when I do, nachos are one of the first things I will make.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 04/23/17 04:25 PM
sigh I need more fried food today like I need a hole in the head.

I dunno'. Maybe I could find some baked chips, or make some.
Mmm, baked nachos... I find baked chips to be quite good. And certainly far healthier than the fried ones.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 04/23/17 06:45 PM
Yeah, I've mentioned it in this thread before (I think), but even though baking your own is a pain (especially in this crappy kitchen), they're super-delicious. So nice and fresh! drool

(Okay, my dinner plans are made! Thank Heaven I've already done the dishes this morning. gasp )
Yay! enjoy the baked nachos, cleome

I love baking as well. especially pasta or nachos, where i don't have to worry too much about the exactness of measurements (unlike with cake or cookies)
Posted By: cleome57 Re: The Nachos Appreciation Thread! - 04/24/17 02:23 AM
I used whole wheat tortillas, since I'm trying to get more whole grains into my meals.

Not bad. Maybe a bit more "cracker"-y than corn. But I think they'll do.

Five minutes to go!

Everyone wash up for dinner!!

MatterEaterLad
I just had nachos with my friends while out tonight.

They were a bit too salty. But the jalapenos salvaged them.
It's been ages since I've had a good plate of nachos. A pub here in Paris offers some, but they're not very delicious...
I had some spicy nachos the other day. Heaven. Still, am looking forward ot making my own with plain chips, yogurt, melted cheese dip, homemade salsa and spicy ground beef and jalapenos.
© Legion World