Legion World
Posted By: Mattropolis Can you tell when... - 08/10/03 02:23 PM
A creator loves their work? Especially in the case of the Legion. I mean, an example from tv would be Buffy, as Joss Whedon had an obvious love for the characters and the directions their lives were taking them.

For example, I could tell that Paul Levitz really loved writing the Legionnaires.

The same could be said for the Bierbaums, even though it wasn't everyone's cup of tea, they put their heart into it.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Can you tell when... - 08/10/03 03:37 PM
I would think there's also a distinction between loving your work and wanting to produce the very best story or artwork, and loving the Legion. Or any other particular character. Some creators have stated that they don't want Legion assignments, usually because of the large cast of characters.

You wonder if likes and dislikes do play a part in individual characters - how often they're used for sure, but also how they're written or drawn. I'm not that keen on Tinya, for example; I'd draw her with a zit on her chin or something. If it would get past the editors.
Posted By: Mattropolis Re: Can you tell when... - 08/10/03 03:40 PM
LOL.

I wonder if I could draw the words shameless hussy in the background anytime Saturn Girl hogs the spotlight...
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: Can you tell when... - 08/11/03 07:55 AM
I don't know how much you can tell by the reading of the story, but when I read about upcoming titles I'll definitely take a look at something if it seems to be a story the writer really wanted to tell and has passion about.

I started reading "Red Star" because of this and I'll definitely pick up "New Frontier" because of Cooke's obvious passion and years of work / research for this story (that and I'm a big Hal Jordan fan).
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Can you tell when... - 08/11/03 08:10 AM
That's true - you do get a good sense from the interviews. I get the impression that DnA like the Legion, but they really love the concept more than the specific legionnaires. They have admitted to a few favorite characters, however.

Was there an interview with Coipel on the Legion? I haven't seen one - nor one with Batista.
Posted By: Omni Craig Re: Can you tell when... - 08/11/03 08:17 AM
I believe CBR had an article about Copiel which was definitely revolving around Legion because it was the only mainstream book he had really done at the time.
Posted By: Anita Cocktail Re: Can you tell when... - 03/31/12 11:01 PM
I think it's commendable when an artist puts their all into an assignment they're not terribly fond of.

I am thinking, of course, of Mr. Curt Swan on the Legion.

He has publicly stated, on more than one occasion, how much he disliked drawing the Legion. Yet, you would never know from judging on his exquisite work on the series.
© Legion World