Legion World
And this time, it's not an April Fool: http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=102650 (see also http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=102647 )
oh no....... frown frown
This officially sucks.

[EDIT: Barry, I'm going to miss your art more on the Legion than I did when Giffen started experimenting. I'll definitely be buying Champions, if only for the beautiful artwork.

Thanks for all of your time here and for your generosity most of all. It's made this incarnation of the Legion very special to me personally.]
Ouch. Just when things started to look up. Guess I gotta read the Champions now. smile

Barry has always been the star of this series. It's a shame cause I've seen so many ppl just buying this book cause of the art.
wow, this is not good. scream

I realize there are other good artists out there. but if I don't like the art it really takes me out of the story.
That officially ruined my weekend.

But I am grateful for Barry's (and Mark's) time on the book. Barry is one of the kindest creators I've met, even if it wound up only being online.
Oh, and Barry. This doesn't let you off the hook. We want pencils and inks for the new Champions stuff. We'll just have to take you out of the Legion forum and place you in Gym'll's. smile
CBR also has some more info.
It'll be a shame to lose Barry, but his place in Legion lore is secured - he did great work and has been a pleasure to deal with here on LW.

From Barry's interview at newsarama:
BK: A HUGE “Thank you!” The LSH readers have been incredibly supportive and enthusiastic throughout the run and been an absolute pleasure to deal with. I’ve been lucky enough to meet quite a few at conventions and correspond with even more via the Internet. They’ve certainly made me feel part of the community and been great fun to talk to. I hope as a body they’ll look back on our tenure on the LSH fondly and feel we honored the book’s great legacy…. and I hope also that they might take a look at what I’m doing at Marvel because it’d be great to keep in touch. I’ve always thought one of the best things about drawing a comic book regularly is getting to know the readers and feeling we all have a share in the title– I think the LSH guys are probably as good at that as any readers can be – so again, I’d like to say thanks for all the support and enthusiasm and I hope to be enjoying the stories of whichever creators follow us on the LSH along with you!
Hmm... while Barry's art and his consistent participation in these forums will certainly be missed, I'd rather see creators leave once they feel like they've told the story they had to tell. So I respect Mark and Barry for that.
Ouch! This really hurts. I had hoped that Barry would be a part of the Legionverse for a long long time. I really believe he has developed into one of the top Legion artists and that he has carried the book in many ways for countless fans. When the story dragged, it was Barry's art that made me stick with it even though I'm still not enamoured with this version of the Legion.

On a more personal note, I've found Barry to be a true gentleman and kind, generous person. He has gone out of his way to stay in contact with us and goes above and beyond in sharing his sketches and pencils and inks for each issue. That will be sorely missed.

Barry I wish you well. You may actually succeed in getting me to buy a new Marvel title because I know I will miss your artwork too much. I'm just very sorry your lines won't be gracing the pages of my favorite comic of all times any longer. And thank you so much for everything you have given of yourself to the title and to us here on Legion World.

You will be greatly missed.
Honestly I am that not broken up about this. Kitson was about the only really good thing about this whole run of LSH, and even then I think alot of his characters looked too much alike at times. I just wonder who is coming on as the new writer and artist.

I just hope that whoever it is has a better aproach than Waid did.
Barry's art will be missed, but I'm honestly excited to find out who the new writer will be.

Jumping fishooks, let it be someone who space-rawks!
I'm sorry to hear this. This hasn't been a perfect run of Legion comics by any means, but it's been well above average and I'm going to miss Barry Kitson's art in particular.

Edited to add: I'm also intrigued by the possibilities. There are lots of talented people out there, with good ideas, and I'm looking forward to see what other kinds of good stories can be told with my favourite characters.
Yes now maybe DC will DE-BOOT THE LEGION and bring back the ORIGINAL PRE-CRISIS VERSION or at least bring back some of the history that made me fall in love with the characters in the first place way back in 1973
I'll certainly miss Barry's art and really hope he'll still find time to check in. He's really spoiled us, and I wish him luck. And Mark Waid too of course.
I don't know what to make of this. I knew it had to happen but somehow I never believed it would any time soon. I was enjoying the series and I'll miss them, but I like seeing other peoples take on the LSH, too. I don't think I'll know how to feel about this until I know who the replacements are.
Creative team changes have always seemed hard for the Legion in the past. I guess because there have always been so few writers & artists who WANTED to work on it, the result was long runs by teams, and the book jumped/ended/rebooted when they left. I really hope that doesn't happen this time. I will take DiDio on his word (?!?!?!?) that DC wants to further bring the Legion into DCU and build on what Mark and Barry have accomplished.
Originally posted by Lone Wolf Legionnaire:
Yes now maybe DC will DE-BOOT THE LEGION and bring back the ORIGINAL PRE-CRISIS VERSION or at least bring back some of the history that made me fall in love with the characters in the first place way back in 1973
de-boot. wasn't that a fine World War II thriller about a German sub. lol

but seriously folks... I don't know a de-boot. there is a cross-over with Action comics soon. perhaps they will address if this is the true future or not.

Also Thom Kallor(sp?) is now with the JSA wouldn't you rather see that character grow and develop in that title, rather than somehow get thrown back into the current book?

I realize a lot of long-term fans aren't happy with the title. but whatever a future writer does( including bring back this or that history or character) with the book will it ever truly be like what you first read?
Here\'s Marvel's announcement, along with some comments from Mr. Wacker.
I realize a lot of long-term fans aren't happy with the title. but whatever a future writer does( including bring back this or that history or character) with the book will it ever truly be like what you first read?
This is an excellent point and one that I think is not sufficiently considered by deboot advocates.
Congrats on the gig Barry, much as we hate to lose you. Is it too much to hope you'll still hang around LW when time allows? smile
God damn it. This was exactly the Legion I've always wanted to see. It was my favorite comic book. No one else could possibly be as good.
Not happy that Barry is leaving, but happy for him getting the new gig.

I hope whoever takes over is as good as Waid and Kitson were.
Wow guys - I can't thank you enough!
I will admit I was really worried about switching on my PC this morning and seeing how the news was received. You really have been one of the best things about the last two-and-a-half years! If you'll have me I'll absolutely still be around on the boards - just because I'm not going tobe drawing the book doesn't mean I won't be just as passionate about the LSH!

The thing was that Mark and I were scheduled to finish on LSH whatever happened so when Marvel offered me such a fun project and the chance to work with Matt I couldn't really say no. Luckily for us, Marvel were happy to let us finish up our run and DC were kind enough to want us to as well. I hope we set a good stage for the creators who will follow us.... I'll certainly still be reading the book to see what happens next.

I'm very very happy to hear some of you will be reading Champions - I'd like to stay in touch as much as possible ...and if there's a Champions site even half as good as Legion World one day I'll be a happy man!

Thanks again - for all the kind words ever since I first came to LW and for being so generous and understanding about the move.

You guys really are the best! hug
Wow! Barry Kitson is so cool. But we already knew that. I wish only the best of success!

I also have a bit of fear of change, but some excitement about it. Maybe some awesome new stuff will happen.
Well! That's a surprise, although nobody stays on a book forever. We certainly have been spoiled with Barry's art and he's going to be a very tough act to follow. Not only the characters, but the cities and worlds he has depicted have been fascinating.

I've also greatly enjoyed Mark's stories, which have offered so many possibilities for expansion and have provoked a lot of discussion - especially about what we as readers expect from our heroes and villains.

Congratulations Barry on your new adventures and thank you for all the time you've give us here at Legion World. I'm quite interested to see what you do with "cutting-edge" art on the Champions series. Marvel is very lucky to have you!
Thanks very much both of you! smile

I hope Marvel will agree with you FC wink
Barry, congratulations on the exclusive!

I'll miss you on Legion, and after I see your Fables pages I'm sure I'll miss you on that as well. But best of luck with the Marvel gig, and I hope you get a shot at drawing your favorites there.
I was shocked when I read newsarama this morning! Barry, your art is going to be missed alot. Wish you could have stayied thru issue 50. smile I just hope that the powers that be bring in someone that is at least 1/2 the artist you are.

I wish you the best on the Marvel gig, but alas I won't be picking up Champions. After Civil War, I have decided to drop ALL Marvel titles. It feels to me that they have lost respect for their characters now. frown
Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
Wow guys - I can't thank you enough!
I will admit I was really worried about switching on my PC this morning and seeing how the news was received. You really have been one of the best things about the last two-and-a-half years! If you'll have me I'll absolutely still be around on the boards - just because I'm not going tobe drawing the book doesn't mean I won't be just as passionate about the LSH!
It's nice to hear that you've enjoyed being here because we've loved having you. As Scott said in an earlier post, we would all love to have you remain an active part of Legion World. And we would love to keep getting glimpses of how you craft your pages (even if it isn't Legion art! laugh )

The thing was that Mark and I were scheduled to finish on LSH whatever happened so when Marvel offered me such a fun project and the chance to work with Matt I couldn't really say no.
I know you can't spill the beans but do you know if the new creative team is in place? And will they be picking up where you guys leave off or are there major changes coming? Teases as always are more than welcome! smile

I'm very very happy to hear some of you will be reading Champions - I'd like to stay in touch as much as possible ...and if there's a Champions site even half as good as Legion World one day I'll be a happy man!
I for one will be checking it out so I can get my monthly Kitson art fix. Sounds like an interesting premise at least. laugh

Thanks again - for all the kind words ever since I first came to LW and for being so generous and understanding about the move.

You guys really are the best! hug
You've been more than generous with your time and participation so the thanks should really go to you. Your love of the Legion has been shining through in all your artwork and that's what's made you so special to Legion fans. While we'd love to keep you to ourselves, there is a whole wide world out there for you to conquer with your magnificent art and we really wish you the very best. But we would love to get you back again eventually! smile

PS: I still want a Kitson Mon-El. I'll be in touch to see if we can make it work!
Thanks guys!

Sorry to hear of your decision Healex, but I hope we'll still meet up on the LSH boards!

It was a real treat to work on Fables Outdoor Miner - I hope you'll like the bit I did. I hope I get a chance to do something more work with Bill sometime!
Barry,

It's been such a treat having you draw the Legion AND join the community on this board. I can't express how much fun it's been to see your character development sketches, your covers, and read the book itself. This has been a real treat, the sort of interactive experience most fans still only dream of. Thank you.

I really believe you and Mark have laid an amazing groundwork for the Legion. I really hope DC finds a new creative team that can live up to the start you and Mark have given the new Legion.

Because you've been such a mensch, I will absolutely take a look at Champions, although my feelings about Marvel these days are pretty close to Healex's. However, much good can come even from bad, so I will check it out. Take care.
You know I spent a good ten minutes wondering what this "Slosh" thing was? "Slosh? What the hell is a Slosh?"...
Amyway I feel stupid now.
But yes, sad to see you both go frown
Now that Waid and Kitson are off the slosh and have sobered up... er... wait... wink
It made me pause to read that Mark & Waid's time on LSH is almost up. It's good that TPTB at DC are allowing them to wrap up their stint.

Having said that, I feel it's time to have a new creative team to produce the Legion. I think Mark & Barry started well but it's time for new blood. While I agree that creative shuffles normally hurt a book, I'm eager to see who'll be picking up the reins once they leave.

Best of luck to Mark & Barry...and bring on the new creative team!!!
Barry, thank you for all your contributions to the Legion and best of luck in your future projects. I've genuinely enjoyed your and Mark's run and look forward to your final issues. The changing of the guard is always tough on us fans but your presence here makes it easier to cope.

Is there any Legion character you regret not having a chance to draw?
Congratulations Barry. I hope you get some plum assignments over at Marvel.

I've loved Matt Fraction's non-superhero stuff so I'll probably take a look at Champions as a TPB at least.

So I take since your final cover has every superpowered character that's appeared over the last 29 issues that the next creative team will be free to remix the LSH.

Also is that the reason for all visual easter eggs in your backgrounds? We know you've put Wildfire-looking lke guy, girl with wings etc into those crowded panels.
Two and a half years? My but it's flown by too too fast for me.
Wow.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Barry. Your presence and generosity has been such a boost for us fans here at LW. It's been so much fun interacting with you and Mark here at LW and at conventions. You've been kind enough to listen to our input and occasionally even use our ideas in the book. (love the Shadow Lass for Leader bit- thanks[!])

The Legion is unique and it shows in the work that you and Waid both realize that. I'm going to miss those series of thumbnails and those cover concept sketches. Pure fannish pleasure.

Thanks man. You're the best...and now that you're Legion...all you have to do is ask. We're here for each other all the time.

LLL
I'll really miss your Phantom Girl, Karate Kid and Light Lass renditions, Barry- among many other things. Those three stand out for me the most. That and your great attitude and willingness to spend time with fans here at LW and elsewhere. The cover sketches you always post have been a great chance to see creativity at work. Thanks for that, as well.

You're definitely a class act.

Good luck with CHAMPIONS-- if you promise to bring back DARKSTAR somehow, I'll buy it. Ah, who am I kidding- I'm sure I'll pick it up! (Though I'm a tad turned off by the names- what will the reaction be of the 'real' bearers of those names? Will that factor into the title?)

I hope in a few months, you'll spill the beans about all the behind-the-scenes stuff regarding storylines, etc. that we *didn't* get to hear about while you were on the title...

Good luck and thanks!
Thanks again guys!

Characters I would have liked to have drawn? Well I wish I had gotten to draw Andromeda - and I would have liked to have shown our version of Dawnstar (she was going to be in the Wanderers but we were told we couldn't include her at the last minute because she was turning up elsewhere in the DCU).

I've honestly had a real blast on the title... maybe next time I'll get to do a 50 issue run and cover all the things we never got to do this time round! wink

I am doing the cover to #31 though (this very weekend) so there will be one more set of scans for you! I'm glad you enjoyed seeing them smile Maybe I can convince Nightcrawler to add a Champions wing to LW? laugh

Good to hesr some of you will be picking up the Champions - I really think you might like it laugh

Thanks again for all the kind words, I'm not sure they're at all deserved - and definitely the thanks have to go both ways! laugh
Now this was a surprise. I had no idea that Mark and Barry had a finite commitment to the title.
I will really miss your're art Barry. Best of luck with the Champions.
Barry,

On one hand, I feel sad that you and Mark are leaving LSH just as it's getting really good. On the other hand, I feel glad that you guys are going out on top. And I wanna thank you guys for the great work you did with Light Lass, proving that she's way cooler with the gravity powers.

And I most certainly will be reading Champions. I've been a fan of yours for a long time, but I'm sure you already knew that from the L.E.G.I.O.N. retrospective I did when I first arrived at Legion World.

Oh, and I'll second Mystery Lad's request to please bring back Darkstar.
Thanks Barry for a wild ride. No doubt your artwork helped make this run more enjoyable! I will most likely be picking up any comic you're working on in the future, so looking forward to seeing what you've got lined up next!

The Legion, of course, will survive with the next creators, but there is no doubt you've left your mark on them and will have fans itching for your return for many years to come.
I am doing the cover to #31 though (this very weekend) so there will be one more set of scans for you!
Good news. Knock it out of the ballpark one last time, Barry! smile
Thanks yet again! Sorry to be repetitive, but I do mean it and all these comments really do mean a lot to me!

I'll look forward to discussing both the LSH and Champions with you in the months to come! smile
*clears throat*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

*cough*

Thank you.

Dear Mr. Kitson,

Thank you for the beautiful work you have done on the LoSH. I would never have given this series a try if not for your and Mark Waid's involvement. Furthermore, Thank you for the signed poster at Wizardworld Dallas '04 and the signed FREE issue of Teen Titans/Legion that you gave me and my friend Robbie (who also hadn't read the Legion until then). You are a saint and a prince of a man. Furthermore, to Marvel: You bastiches! Now I have to buy a Marvel book. Because you had the brains to put Mr Kitson with the wild crazy mind of Matt Fraction Man of Action. I cannot believe I will be buying a Marvel book called "The Champions."
In closing, Mr. Kitson you and Mark Waid have made a life long LoSH fan out of me. May you have many happy days ahead of you in the comic field. And for at least one monthly (the Champions) Make Mine Marvel.

-Nicholaus Vinson
Thanks - I hope next time we meet I can supply some free Champions stuff too! Definitely a sketch for free after a compliment like that! smile
Well, that's probably his last post, he's gone now, we can write what we REALLY think.

It's about time these two went on to get real jobs. We get these artist teams on occasion that think "real-life" is hacking around on Legion as if life is meant to be all fun-and-games. Wait until these two get a load of Marvel fans.

Can Marvel fans rhyme, tell a story or answer questions with questions? Can they?

Do they have forty year long fans that live in their mom's basement... uh,...eh, I mean,... whose Ma lives in their attic...no... heh

How bout them Dominators?

Even though they're not here to read it, good luck to Barry and Mark on your next gig and life.
Wow. I can't believe it's over. This book-- the "WaK LoSH" if you will-- was what made me read the Legion in the first place. I'd never had any interest in the team at all but the TT/Legion crossover piqued my interest. I came for Waid and stayed for the beautiful package you both made. I'm really sad to see it end, since Waid/Kitson team-ups have made some of my favorite comics (even if I didn't always realize it at the time).

Barry, your work has always astounded me. I can't believe how long it took for me to realize that all these books I liked were by the same guy. (JLA: Year One is one of my absolute favorite DC limited series, for instance, and you were a huge part of that. And the Flash/Green Lantern: B&B limited? Man... favorite TPB ever.) But once I did, I even went out and checked out books I'd never have thought to read like L.E.G.I.O.N.

Anyway, my point is-- you're doing it again. I definitely wouldn't have even considered picking up the Champions if not for you. (I read the original run once out of curiosity... once was far more than enough.) But I just don't want to give up the great art I've become spoiled by! So, best of luck at Marvel (I'm an equal opportunist when it comes to the Marvel vs. DC debate) and I can't wait to see your work there! smile

So, congratulations on your exclusive and good luck with all your work from here on out! I'm glad to hear you'll still be dropping by and, because we can never say it enough, thank you for all your contributions over the last two and a half years. You've been great and I, for one, am thrilled we're not losing you completely. (Just to the competition. wink ) I'm sure I can cope as long as we get the occasional Champion sketch.
Barry-

I'll ditto what many have said already: Thank you for your wonderful artwork, for your dedication to msking a quality LSH book, and for your interaction and posting of artwork here. I'm honored to have been a part of our Dallas delegation, meeting you back in 2004.

I may have had a few grumbles about the writing here and there, but you've never let us down once. You join a hallowed pantheon of greats who have made LSH your own, and left a visual legacy that will be cherished for decades to come.

I wish you well on all your future projects.

-Sean
barry kitson has done right by the ranzzes; let it be known that he is a friend of the family.

barry, let us know if you would like anyone zapped, degravitized, or giggled at.

MektRanzz3
Adding my voice to the choir. Barry, your work on the Legion has been wonderful and it will be sad to see you go. And we here at Legion World wish you the very best at Marvel. You definitely can still come to Legion World and let us know how you are doing. (you only have 9447 posts til Time Trapper)
It's just a real shame we won't get to see Kitson's version of a rebooted WILDFIRE (or will we...???)

No really - that wasn't rhetorical - I wanna know...!
Last post, Blockade Boy? Not by a long way! laugh But thanks for the good wishes!

Thanks everyone! You really are too kind! smile

It's especially nice to know I'm a friend of the Ranzz family - that could come in very handy! smile

As to Wildfire - if the next creators don't use him...I'll try to return as writer/artist in a few years...then we'll definitely see him! wink
As to Wildfire - if the next creators don't use him...I'll try to return as writer/artist in a few years...then we'll definitely see him! wink
Barry, Barry, Barry...

Don't tease us like this. You know, we Legion diehards will start counting the day for your return to the 31st Century...

Forgive me if it has been said, but what exactly is your (and Mark's) last issue of SLOSH? Is it 30 or 31?

Again, best of luck at Marvel. I hope your brilliant career at DC forced the competition throw boatloads of money your way!! You didn't even give us (not DC, us here at LW) a chance to counter offer! smile
It was basically just time for a change, the move from LSH was already decided and the fresh horizons were most tempting ...BUT if I'd known you guys had bucketloads of money... laugh

Well I'm definitely drawing #30, if we can squeeze an extra issue in I will, but with scheduling the way it is I can't make any promises beyond #30.

Thanks for the good wishes!
Wow go of line for a weekend and the bottom falls out of my (comic) world. I will really miss Barry’s artwork on the legion. It has been one of the most attractive parts of the whole three boot for me. Even when the writing has been slow or not that enthralling Barry’s pencils have always been spectacular and constantly draw me back to the comic for a second even a third read.

I may even break with tradition and take a look at Marvel for the first time since I was 13 years old.

Well all the best Barry and Mark, I do in all honesty wish you all the best for the future. And remember to drop into Legion World for a chat now and then.
Hey Darden. You live closer to Barry than most of us. Maybe you can stop by his place and exert some gentle persuasion on him to drop his Marvel contract and sign an exclusive with DC, say for the next 50 years. That way he can see the Legion through their 50th and 100th anniversaries. smile
Bring on Mr. Perez...and the Cockrum era costumes of the late, great Mr. Dave Cockrum...we need to restore the Legion to the Shooter/Levitz history
I had been away from the Legion for several years and came back with the first issue of the current series. Thank you, Barry, for your work on the series that brought me back to the Legion fold and, ultimately, to Legion World.
I really like Mark Waid's writing and really enjoyed Ktson on Justice Society...but I have to say I'm really happy to hear that the creative team is changing. It just didn't fit. It didn't feel like the Legion. It wasn't just the characters or the change in continuity. It was, simply put, a new series about a new team with a premise I didn't care for at all. I don't just miss the old Legion, I miss the idea of it. The previous reboot had come awefully close. This was just something else entirely. I miss the fun, bright future I knew and loved. Please DC...bring it back. Nows your chance.
Hey Barry! Not to ask you to play favorites among your co workers and definitely not asking you to criticize others but... which artist would YOU like to see do the Legion for the next year or two?

Just curious.
What I'm really curious about is how this effects the hoped for follow-up to Empire. Since Mark and Barry with both with DC and DC did the collection I had thought the two of them would do another Empire story. With Barry now a Marvel exclusive, did they give him an out for Empire or is it dead for the length of his Marvel contract?
Aweeeeeeee man! Not our Kitson!?! Maybe it's a different Kitson? Larry Kitson? Jerry perhaps? Mary? Is this why Legionworld was down for a bit? frown
Originally posted by Monkey Eater Lad:
Aweeeeeeee man! Not our Kitson!?! Maybe it's a different Kitson? Larry Kitson? Jerry perhaps? Mary? Is this why Legionworld was down for a bit? frown
Yeah, the board went into a premature mourning period. wink
Kerry Kitson would be a cool name.
Kit Kitson?
Quick question if it's OK:

Will this affect your plans to attend Baltimore this year?
Barry,

I've been a fan of your work since LEGION (my first time seeing it) and I'm sad to see you leaving SLoSH. Thanks for all the great art you've given us over the past 2 1/2 years. Hope you still drop by from time to time. (BTW if the sad excuse of a comic shop near my apt. carries it, I will definitely be getting Champions)
Hi Guys
Thanks yet again!

I'm still planning on being at Baltimore! Hope to see as many of you there as possible! smile

Thanks Dedman - well if Marvel put as much backing behind the Champions as they've promised, with luck your local comic shop will have some copies. If they don't I'll put you in touch with some very nice mail order people wink
I'll definitely still be a regular on LW!
Who the heck is going to follow Barry? I mean honestly while I like some of the back up artists they do not have much of a distinct style like Barry. It has to be George Perez.

I wasn't the biggest fan of this Legion. But I know Waid loves the Legion and he is a great writer. I knew the quality would be there despite not caring for the direction (early on atleast).

With new a creative team I worry. WaK created such a rich complex unique Legion...will a new writer focus too much on one thing (the teeny thing?) or will the artist make the large number of characters (Legion, Wanderers, etc) seem generic???
Originally posted by Lone Wolf Legionnaire:
Though I hardly think it's possible, I can totally second your feelings - though I fell in love with the LSH half a decade later but hey, who's counting cool

I consider the Waid/Kitson era to be one of the more boring ones in Legion history. I really did not know what Waid was thinking with TERRA FIRMA (was that the name?), I did not know why they had to mix Supergirl in the fold and though I thought the recent return to a Space Opera SciFi approach was an "okay move", I am hardly crying to hear about Waid leaving. Kitsons art was really good, but somehow I could not loose the feeling that this new incarnation of the legion was nothing more but a modern L.E.G.I.O.N. clone. And I really have to say that the first L.E.G.I.O.N. storylines back then were way much better than the inconsistent, aimless writing Waid provided for the last three years.

So the question is: Who's next? Are there rumours about Giffens return yet? hmmm
Originally posted by Yellow Kid:
Hey Barry! Not to ask you to play favorites among your co workers and definitely not asking you to criticize others but... which artist would YOU like to see do the Legion for the next year or two?

Just curious.
If I had a wish...

GEORGE PEREZ!!!!!

He is the best out there. I just bought the "George Perez: Storyteller" Hardcover, and it is spectacular. And: He says the Legion was his favorite childhood book, and it is quite strange that of all the big team books out there, the Legion is the only one he never drew on a regular basis.

I hardly think he's available, but he would be a dream come true - and if he would draw it, they could even bring back crappy characters like XS or Kinetix, I would no longer care.

So, Wolfman/Perez on Legion anyone? nod
Chemical King how about Geoff Johns/George Perez? smile
Jorge: Anyone with George Perez would be okay. Really anyone. Just yesterday I took his Avengers run from the 90s out and scrolled through the issues. Fantastic.

To top my former post, hey, they could even bring back the CRAPPIEST characters like MONSTRESS I would still love to buy it as long as George Perez does it.

Geoff Johns is quite okay though I did not really like his Titans stuff.
I hear ya CK. Have you ever seen the Legionnaire sketches Perez did for Who's Who? They're Silver Age and they're fabulous!

...and Gail Simone did the last story arc for the DnA reboot. I didn't love it but I liked it. I'm not sure how she'd be on the book as a regular but she really did have a way with new villians and (seriously) a popular villian is something the new Legion needs desperately.
Yes the Who is Who sketches are great, and there was a two page spread in "History of the DC Universe" #2 after Crisis which is just spectacular.

Gail Simone I'm not so sure about - but anybody who bring back the old contiunuity or something similar to it is welcome in my book...
I thought Gail Simone's Legion story was awful. And I can't believe Marvel has poached another Legion artist, dammit! DC must not pay as well as Marvel, that's all I can say. Come on, DC! If you want to keep the geat artists, you have to cough up the space cabbage!

I'm afraid this is the beginning of a downward spiral on a book that was only limping along on the merits of its fantastic art to begin with.
Bollocks!

I haven't had time to read through all of this thread but I can only hope that the artist who takes over is as gifted as Barry.
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
I thought Gail Simone's Legion story was awful. And I can't believe Marvel has poached another Legion artist, dammit! DC must not pay as well as Marvel, that's all I can say. Come on, DC! If you want to keep the geat artists, you have to cough up the space cabbage!
Well, DC started it when they poached Kitson from Marvel, in the middle of a project... I'm sorry to see Barry go, and I'll be checking Champions, as Civil War really got me excited in Marvel again.

I'm not too fussed about Waid leaving though. His run has been more miss than hit, and directionless... and addind Supergirl didn't help.
OMG, a Pariscub sighting?!

I forgot about Barry in the T-Bolts. Good one pc.
Barry--you done good!
Thanks and take care.
A few Legion tidbits at Wondercon DCU Nation Panel

http://www.newsarama.com/WonderCon/2007/DCNation.html

“World War III” Didio said in answer to a question if Supergirl will be returning to the present day from the Legion’s time. There will be a change in the title, he added.

Is Legion of Super Heroes going to end at #30? Didio: No.

Hopefully there'll be more info at tomorrow's panel with Waid but it sounds to me like it's going forward with a title change.
Originally posted by Tromium:
A few Legion tidbits at Wondercon DCU Nation Panel

http://www.newsarama.com/WonderCon/2007/DCNation.html

[b]“World War III” Didio said in answer to a question if Supergirl will be returning to the present day from the Legion’s time. There will be a change in the title, he added.

Is Legion of Super Heroes going to end at #30? Didio: No.

Hopefully there'll be more info at tomorrow's panel with Waid but it sounds to me like it's going forward with a title change.[/b]
Yeah, from Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes back to The Legion of Super-Heroes. We all knew that Kara would be gone with the end of 52.
Alas, I was at the panel for a coupla minutes but it was too packed and way too warm and musky so I had to get out of there.
Oops...I meant to post this here and not on the other thread:

No question I will miss Barry's art...back when I was reading L.E.G.I.O.N., I always wished that he was on the "real" legion book so I could see how he might draw my fave characters.

I'll miss Mark's humorous dialogue but not so much his plotting.

Does anyone know why DC decided to end the Waid/Kitson run?
I think Waid and Kitson ended their own run. smile I remember from the start that they said something about it being a 2 and a half year run or something.
Wimps. I want a Legion lifer of Barry's qualilty on the art, dammit.
So we still don't know who's going to be on the title?
I think it's a safe bet it's Tony Bedard as writer.
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Yeah, from Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes back to The Legion of Super-Heroes. We all knew that Kara would be gone with the end of 52.
Actually, to draw in a more diverse readership, they are going to rename the book "Gloria Estefan and the Legion of Super-Heroes."

What? It worked great for Miami Sound Machine! smile
Oh, and 'Nuff Said: smile

click to enlarge
Click it, Baby!
^ the above post reminds me of an Ellen DeGeneres routine.

[Er...EDIT! The Post above the above post...Thanks Cru! tongue ]
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
I think it's a safe bet it's Tony Bedard as writer.
I am not so sure. I mean, maybe you're right, but as well as it fits I haven't read anything that would lead me to believe that it's anything like confirmed.
First look at Barry's cover to The Champions #1 is up .
Originally posted by Spellbinder:
Oh, and 'Nuff Said: smile

click to enlarge
Click it, Baby!
I love that picture - I would like to have it as a giant size poster but the format of "History" prevents me from doing a decent copy, you can get the middle part straight. It is a wonderful picture of the Levitz Legion.
CAN'T get it straight. Oh my.
© Legion World