Legion World
Posted By: Emily Sivana Errors on Main Forum Page - 04/28/17 12:37 AM
When I came into the forum tonight, it said my name was Reboot. When I clicked around, it said my name was Fanfic Lady. However, once I tried to make a post it told me I was not logged in. So I logged in and now it seems okay. Maybe user numbers are getting mixed up?
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 04/28/17 01:07 AM
There's definitely something buggy going on.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 04/28/17 01:20 AM
Test
Posted By: Emily Sivana Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 04/28/17 10:53 PM
I wonder if it has something to do with the fact my screen name is not my user name. Should I set it to defaults?
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 04/28/17 11:01 PM
Please don't log in until everything is back to normal. I've been at work all day unable to fix these issues.

Everyone can see the world as the last person that logged in.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 04/28/17 11:02 PM
The problem is a cache issue. The board is holding onto old data. I'll get this fixed as soon as I can when I get home.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 05/04/17 07:24 PM
Ok. I don't know if this appears to be working for anyone else, so please let me know otherwise.

I don't know what happened last Thursday that caused the board to cache everything on the server and show others logged in to various areas. Nor do I know what it appears to be working correctly now.

I had reached out to our hosting company and the makers of this forum software. Perhaps one of them fixed the issues, but everything I tried was failing.

My apologies for the inconvenience.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 05/04/17 07:50 PM
Yeah, everything seems cool, at least on my phone.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 05/04/17 07:52 PM
Except my name is showing up multiple times in the "Who's online" list.
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 05/04/17 08:03 PM
I saw lots of EDE's when I connected, but now they've all vanished (hiding, waiting, biding their time untill.....)
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 05/04/17 08:35 PM
Yeah, sorry. That will probably happen for a few hours. It's a known glitch to one of the things that were tried to fix the caching issues.*

It should go away eventually. I'll start to panic when I see it happen tomorrow.

*Who's Online was one of the things I obliterated and rebuilt in order to try and fix "who was shown online." As a result, the database will need some time to readjust and rebuild that table.
Posted By: Reboot Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 05/04/17 09:00 PM
Nice to be back smile
Posted By: Myg - Andy S Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 05/04/17 09:13 PM
I think I'm back. A few times apparently. Am I from Cargg?
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 05/04/17 09:41 PM
Thanks for fixing this, Nighty! it's good to be back
Posted By: Reboot Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 05/04/17 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac

iB's symptoms included shakes, sweats and a tourette-like need to throw inane one-word posts out in conversation elsewhere since the thread wasn't available to direct his symptoms wink
Posted By: Pov Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 05/04/17 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
Test

EASE grin
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 05/04/17 10:01 PM
Legion World restoration checklist item 69...Smut levels... restored!
Item 70... Funyuns...
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 05/05/17 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by Reboot
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac

iB's symptoms included shakes, sweats and a tourette-like need to throw inane one-word posts out in conversation elsewhere since the thread wasn't available to direct his symptoms wink

You forgot the dreams...

Apparently, I type in my sleep now wink
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 05/05/17 12:13 PM
Thanks for all your work to bring LW back! It must have been causing you a few headaches. But it was kinda cool to be Emily Savana for a few minutes!
Posted By: Harbinger Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 05/05/17 12:47 PM
Hey Gary, thanks for fixing whatever the problem was, as FC said above it must have given you a headache. Hope it's solved now and you catch up on your sleep. Thank you.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 05/05/17 12:56 PM
Glad that Legion World is back.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 05/05/17 03:50 PM
Are we really back? I couldn't get in for about 2 weeks! sob
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 05/05/17 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler
Yeah, sorry. That will probably happen for a few hours. It's a known glitch to one of the things that were tried to fix the caching issues.*

It should go away eventually. I'll start to panic when I see it happen tomorrow.

*Who's Online was one of the things I obliterated and rebuilt in order to try and fix "who was shown online." As a result, the database will need some time to readjust and rebuild that table.

Hmmm...looks like it's still here. Will try to figure this one out and fix as soon as I can.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 05/05/17 07:49 PM
I knew I should never have posted that link to that Catherine the Great art school "film' Pov sent me.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 05/05/17 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by cleome50
Are we really back? I couldn't get in for about 2 weeks! sob

Sorry Cleome. You're not actually back. Some of the many EDE's appearing in Who's Who have formed distinct personalities and have modelled themselves as Legion Worlders & Legionnaires. Sorry to have to tell you, EDE Nam 'Lor.

Read Crisis on Infinite EDEs - Only on Legion World!

Posted By: Harbinger Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 05/05/17 11:24 PM
Gary, hi, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but while I can reach here on my phone and laptop, my iPad still shows the error message.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 05/06/17 12:00 AM
What error message? And did you try refreshing the page? Sounds like a browser cache issue.
Posted By: Harbinger Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 05/06/17 12:43 AM
Gary, hi, I've typed the address in, rather than using my bookmark but it still shows the 'we are having some major technical issues' and shows me as jfposey. Ive refreshed the page a few times but it's stayed the same. That said my iPad is one of the first and struggles with a lot of sites, can't do YouTube, shopping sites make it freeze and won't stream so it may be that it is just too old to play?
Posted By: Reboot Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 05/06/17 02:01 AM
Try visiting a barely-visited thread, like this one on it. And make sure you clear out ALL the cache/cookies/etc.
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 05/06/17 02:20 AM
I had a similar caching issue on my tablet. Try logging out, and then in, that clears it for me.
Posted By: Harbinger Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 05/06/17 10:48 AM
Sorry, still not doing it. I put it down to having a first generation iPad that is too old and stubborn. I'll keep trying and let you know. Thanks guys.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 05/06/17 04:13 PM
I may have fixed the multiple who's online, so maybe that will help you.

Darn, got cocky. Nevermind.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 05/09/17 02:37 AM
Looks normal to me right now.

(Darn. I didn't think I'd beaten the cloned-poster jokes into the ground yet.)

OK, it looked normal for almost 3-4 minutes, I swear!
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 02/15/24 05:25 AM
Testing...just want to make sure this works, since no one's posted since we came back.
Posted By: Reboot Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 02/15/24 05:34 AM
Yeah, it works.

Also, this is what NC said in the shoutbox for anyone who missed what "came back" means:
Sorry! The host upgraded our PHP version and wrecked the boards. I've upgraded us (so things may look weird for awhile) and finally successfully downgraded our PHP. W'll see how long this lasts. I'll go through and fix the designs when I have time this weekend.
Are UBB even still developing this, if modern PHP versions are verboten? Looking at Wikipedia, everything pre-PHP 8.1 is now out of support, and https://www.ubbcentral.com/doc_install.php only mentions PHP 7...
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 02/15/24 06:15 AM
Thanks Nighty, Reboot. Was wondering what happened, but it seems we only lost access for a few hours total at least
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 02/15/24 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Reboot
Yeah, it works.

Also, this is what NC said in the shoutbox for anyone who missed what "came back" means:
Sorry! The host upgraded our PHP version and wrecked the boards. I've upgraded us (so things may look weird for awhile) and finally successfully downgraded our PHP. W'll see how long this lasts. I'll go through and fix the designs when I have time this weekend.
Are UBB even still developing this, if modern PHP versions are verboten? Looking at Wikipedia, everything pre-PHP 8.1 is now out of support, and https://www.ubbcentral.com/doc_install.php only mentions PHP 7...

The UBB developers have a version UBB.Threads 8 already in operation which should work with PHP 8 (hopefully, the latest build), but are working on the upgrading scripts, but they do this in their spare time (are not really paid by the owner of the software fulltime). Unfortunately, Hostmonster keeps changing it back to 8 now as I had to fix this again this morning...so I'll probably need to move to a new host or not have forums until UBB gets their acts together.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 02/15/24 05:53 PM
I only upgraded us to 7.7.5 since I wasn't sure exactly what the problem was at first. I really hope I don't have to move us and we can just upgrade to 8.0. The amount of work to move all of my websites and their software and databases makes me sick to my stomach.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 02/15/24 06:34 PM
that sounds like a lot of work indeed! here's hoping!
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 02/15/24 08:06 PM
Normally the board tuns so smoothly that it's easy to forget just how much goes on in the background to keep it running.

I don't really understand much of this, but thanks for everything you do, Nighty.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 02/15/24 08:25 PM
hear, hear!! thank you for all that you do, Nighty!
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: Errors on Main Forum Page - 02/15/24 08:27 PM
Thirded!

Thank you, Nightcrawler!
© Legion World