Legion World
Posted By: Bevis Argh, epileptic attack! - 02/10/04 07:52 AM
Urk.

The new flashing background looks very cool on my work computer but I logged on last night on my web TV and... eek. Because it's web TV the flashing background doesn't just flash. it means that the entire boards strobe. On, off, on, off. It's a bit scary. It also makes it nigh on impossible to read the boards since they disappear and reappear every couple of seconds.

Basicaly, is there anyway i can turn off the flashing? I don't know if anyone else uses web TV and has the same problem (and since I'm moving at the end of the month and will have regular web access it's not something that i need to put up with for long) but it does mean that of an evening and at the weekend I can't come to Legion World. frown
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Argh, epileptic attack! - 02/10/04 08:23 AM
frown It was fun while it lasted. frown
Posted By: Bevis Re: Argh, epileptic attack! - 02/10/04 09:35 AM
Aww, I don't wanna spoil any fun (and I *like* the flashing background). There isn't any way I can just set it so that it doesn't flash when I'm using web TV is there?
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Argh, epileptic attack! - 02/10/04 09:42 AM
It's okay. Things seem speedier now.
Posted By: Bevis Re: Argh, epileptic attack! - 02/10/04 10:01 AM
Ah well, that's alright then. And the games are back too, yay! I've got quite addicted to a couple of those over the last week or two. laugh
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Argh, epileptic attack! - 02/10/04 10:25 AM
Cool! smile
Posted By: Vee Re: Argh, epileptic attack! - 02/10/04 10:30 AM
The flashing background was definitely cool but speed has certainly improved with it gone. Too bad, I did like it! laugh
Posted By: Pov Re: Argh, epileptic attack! - 02/10/04 12:29 PM
Heh... I could imagine Bevis having "Pokemon seizures" like the Simpsons in Japan episode... lol
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Argh, epileptic attack! - 02/10/04 01:00 PM
Hmm. Much quicker on my end too. I wonder if this will end Grey's problems as well.
Posted By: Stu Re: Argh, epileptic attack! - 02/10/04 01:07 PM
Just think of the flashes as a "special effect"...
Posted By: Bevis Re: Argh, epileptic attack! - 02/10/04 01:12 PM
It wasn't that far off you know. Really hard to read a message board when you can't actually look at the screen. I tried, didn't work though. It was like being in a club with a really bzarre strobe light. Especially bizarre since i was listening to Mary Chapin Carpenter at the time.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Argh, epileptic attack! - 02/10/04 01:23 PM
Sounds like a bad acid trip Bevis. I wonder if Lash had the same problem or doesn't he use webtv anymore?
Posted By: Greybird Re: Argh, epileptic attack! - 02/10/04 02:21 PM
It does appear to have ended my problem, as well. Scrolling, typing-input, and animated smilies are back to normal, or at least normal for UBB boards. (A bit slower than other sites with fewer graphics, but not two-thirds slower.)

Animated graphics seem to demand more of the program's attention in Netscape. Only closing all LW.net windows/tabs had helped, even with other sites' windows/tabs open.

I'm sorry I didn't think of that possibility sooner ... but whatever the background was, it didn't even "move" for me. Except for Scott's "flashes" in IE, which I also got.

And as to the thread title, it's literally appropriate. "Strobing" displays on TV and computer screens have been known to trigger seizures. They'd have to be far stronger than this one was, though.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Argh, epileptic attack! - 02/22/04 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Sounds like a bad acid trip Bevis. I wonder if Lash had the same problem or doesn't he use webtv anymore?
Still on webTV here, loving it still after 4-plus years.

I never noticed any flashing... I must not have been online that day...?
© Legion World