Legion World
Posted By: SoM Problems getting worse... - 01/11/08 06:58 PM
I tried to post this new error in "Clive"'s thread, and the thread disappeared and took my main account out too in the process:

Sorry, UBB has encountered an unexpected, fatal error. This error is extremely abnormal. Please contact the board administration. The error text is:

Could not perform buffered print to 'CachePath/pntf/now.cgi'.

The server has told me that the disk is out of space - I was prevented from writing to the file.

Please ask the administrator to contact the web hosting provider.

The exact error returned by the operating system is:
No space left on device

» Please use your browser's back button to return.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Problems getting worse... - 01/11/08 07:28 PM
A big chunk of the "Know Your Legion Worlders" thread is missing. From May 2007
Posted By: Pov Re: Problems getting worse... - 01/11/08 10:26 PM
I, of course, blame the Lardlad algorithm...
Posted By: Kalla Hrykos Re: Problems getting worse... - 01/11/08 11:27 PM
I warned you ALL! nod
Posted By: Reboot Re: Problems getting worse... - 01/15/08 01:37 AM
Has the site been working only on and off for the past half-hour or so for everyone else?
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Problems getting worse... - 01/15/08 01:50 AM
It was working fine for me. But, didn't about two hours ago.
Posted By: Tamper Lad Re: Problems getting worse... - 01/15/08 02:31 AM
Dare I ask: Did the ISP contract come with an availability/uptime guarantee?

And Yes, i've had intermittent problems this evening since mid-afternoon eastern North America Time.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Problems getting worse... - 01/15/08 07:36 PM
I think I may just transfer us during the 30 Day guarantee. Globat knows there's an issue with the site, but doesn't know how to fix it.

With my current schedule, I just don't have the time for this headache. This is just ridiculous.
Posted By: Pov Re: Problems getting worse... - 01/16/08 01:59 AM
Sorry, bud. frown hug
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Problems getting worse... - 01/18/08 10:28 PM
Granted I haven't had any real time to log on lately, but is the site working fine nowadays or am I just catching it at the right time?
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Problems getting worse... - 01/18/08 10:40 PM
I haven't been able to spend a lot of time around lately either but I've not had any trouble on the days where I have logged in. At least in the last week.
Posted By: Reboot Re: Problems getting worse... - 01/19/08 06:01 PM
Glitched there as I arrived (don't know how long for, it may have been a minute or two, or I might have come in at the end of a longer outage), and seems to be a bit sluggish in general, but not catastrophically slow.
Posted By: Reboot Re: Problems getting worse... - 01/24/08 10:33 PM
Internal Server Error

Invalid uid 80.
Posted By: Pov Re: Problems getting worse... - 01/24/08 10:38 PM
Yeah, that. sigh
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Problems getting worse... - 01/25/08 01:45 AM
Is the error site-wide (i.e. does it happen with "www.legionworld.net")? I think the answer is "yes," but just checking...

Unfortunately, I just don't have any spare moments for this in the near future. I really miss the days when you pay for a server and it works more often than not.
Posted By: Pov Re: Problems getting worse... - 01/25/08 02:30 AM
It was getting to the message board that gave me the error, G-- I was able to get to the LW.net home page.
Posted By: Arachne Re: Problems getting worse... - 01/25/08 02:54 AM
I hate to add to your worries, Gary, but I'm having problems, too. I can only view a couple of pages before I have to disconnect and reconnect to the internet. That sounds like a problem on my end, but it's only happening on this site.
Posted By: Reboot Re: Problems getting worse... - 01/25/08 09:02 AM
The threads board, however, was down too during the time. I didn't check the homepage.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Problems getting worse... - 01/25/08 07:26 PM
Thanks, guys. I was hoping for an easier answer than moving us. Apparently, I'll need to find the time to shop for a new server... frown
Posted By: Reboot Re: Problems getting worse... - 01/25/08 07:48 PM
I haven't had the problem Arachne's had here, but the site HAS been sluggish today a lot of the time.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Problems getting worse... - 01/27/08 08:27 PM
mad
Posted By: Tamper Lad Re: Problems getting worse... - 02/07/08 02:26 PM
I'd say that LW is generally very slow during the North American working day starting at around 8am Eastern Time. It gets progressively worse with many timeouts on page loads and graphic loads through noon eastern time as the rest of North America comes into their day. It gradually improves over the afternoon and is generally okay late in the evening on the east coast though there's timeouts on occasion. Generally the board is more or less useless to me from 10am to 4pm (and I mean more useless than the inanity of the members). Because of the regular cycles of this I believe its a traffic issue or one of load on the server the VWS is loaded on.
Posted By: Faraway Lad Re: Problems getting worse... - 02/07/08 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
I'd say that LW is generally very slow during the North American working day starting at around 8am Eastern Time. It gets progressively worse with many timeouts on page loads and graphic loads through noon eastern time as the rest of North America comes into their day. It gradually improves over the afternoon and is generally okay late in the evening on the east coast though there's timeouts on occasion. Generally the board is more or less useless to me from 10am to 4pm (and I mean more useless than the inanity of the members). Because of the regular cycles of this I believe its a traffic issue or one of load on the server the VWS is loaded on.
I have a similar problem over here. From 9.00 to around 16.00 I can get on from work ok. Back home from around 19.00 onwards it get very slow indeed.
Even worse from my laptop or from AOL. Although my desktop running firefox seems to be a bit faster.

Means I tend to give up posting from home and sneak it in from work.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Problems getting worse... - 02/07/08 08:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

I've had little to no time to check in, so this couldn't be happening at a worse time. It appears I will have to find another host. I just don't know when I'll find one and when I'll have time to move us. My schedule seems to be getting worse and not better, so I probably won't know when I have enough free time for it, until it happens.
Posted By: Faraway Lad Re: Problems getting worse... - 02/08/08 12:58 PM
S'OK Gary. I dont expect you to jump just coz i am a bit slow. (Nobody answer that) smile Real life jobs and partners need to take priority over all this.

On another note i hope all this moving us around is not leaving you out of pocket. Maybe we could club together to help out?
Posted By: Reboot Re: Problems getting worse... - 02/21/08 09:51 PM
Finally back up? There's been downtime recently, but this takes the cake...

[PS: LegionWiki.com was down for the same duration]
Posted By: ActorLad Re: Problems getting worse... - 02/21/08 10:59 PM
I've had a ton of trouble today, even just trying to look at threads.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Problems getting worse... - 02/21/08 11:25 PM
All of Globat's sites were off-line. I believe, though haven't heard back, that they were knocked off-line due to the earthquake in northern NV today. They had lines running through the area from what I understand.
Posted By: Tamper Lad Re: Problems getting worse... - 02/21/08 11:59 PM
Today? I couldnt get on since about 2200h (GMT -5) last night.

According to USGS the largest earthquake occurred at 0616h (GMT -8) this morning. Correcting for Time difference that would be 0916h (GMT -5). I accept the earthquake for today but not last night's problems.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Problems getting worse... - 02/22/08 01:25 AM
I was aware of no issues last night. At least not with my sites and Globat in particular. Unfortunately LW seems to suffer even more issues than my sites.
Posted By: Tamper Lad Re: Problems getting worse... - 02/22/08 01:59 AM
It was probably one of those where I could still ping the site but it didn't actually respond to my HTTP requests. Usually when the site has problems, I have good ping connectivity but very slow HTTP connectivity.
Posted By: Reboot Re: Problems getting worse... - 02/22/08 02:01 AM
And, like I said, this wasn't the only time the site's been down (or so-slow-it-might-as-well-be) recently. Just the most prolonged.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Problems getting worse... - 02/22/08 05:29 AM
I'd say the troubles have been fairly infrequent and usually brief. Certainly, the performance here has been quite superior to the last server.

I'd ask this...are the problems we've had here really such a big deal as to worry Gary and Scott with them? I mean, who's to say the next server might not be the worst yet?

Not trying to stir things up, but I thought I'd chime in with my perspective, at least.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Problems getting worse... - 02/22/08 11:37 PM
Here's the e-mail communication I finally got about Globat yesterday.

Today was NIGHTMARE-DAY! Globat.com just emerged from a major outage - the worst in company history and everybody - customers and staff alike - still feel extremely beaten up. Here's what happened:

At approximately 5:00am Pacific Time on Thursday, February 21, 2008 we suffered a major network outage, which effected nearly all Globat.com
customers, our own Web sites and service infrastructure as well as our phone systems.

Our primary network switch in our main datacenter in downtown Los Angeles failed completely and despite tremendous efforts by our technical emergency response team could not be brought back online. This switch is a major brand name piece of equipment and as such it contains internal redundancy. We were able to switch over to the back up circuitry and begin bringing the system
back online at which time, for yet unknown reasons, the entire devise, including backup system, failed completely.

After a short deliberation we decided to rush a new switch from our vendor's nearest warehouse to our data center. While waiting for the replacement we initiated a work around to at least get email service re-established. After
several attempts all email systems finally went live and back to normal at approximately 10:00am Pacific Time.

When the new switch arrived we went through the installation and testing process and as a result were able to bring all our services back online, but not before we had suffered a 5-hour outage for e-mail services and an 8-hour outage for Web related services. In Globat's entire 6 year history, we have never experienced anything even remotely like this! The outage was so severe
that it affected our own Web sites and all but one of our telephone lines so we were unable to communicate with our customers to update anybody about the status of the incident. We decided to ask some of our staff members to post updates on well known Internet forums, which helped a little in disseminating the information.

Now that everything is pretty much back to normal I would like to tell you that we ABSOLUTELY KNOW you count on Globat.com to maintain a high degree of uptime to host your Web sites and that we take this trust very seriously. Today, however, my team and I let you down and we all feel terrible because of that. This has never happened before and we will do whatever it takes to never let it happen again! I deeply and sincerely apologize for this outage and the inconvenience and problems it may have caused. We promise to learn
from the events of this dreadful day (today was also my wife's birthday, on top of everything).

We are now taking the following steps to prevent a recurrence of this type of failure. This switch is the only piece of equipment at Globat.com that
could possibly be a single point of failure. This equipment is usually highly stable and has built-in redundancy. In additional it is being vendor monitored 24/7. We will now keep a second switch, with its own built-in redundancy, in our data center to prevent a prolonged outage in the unlikely event of another switch failure. In addition, we are working with our phone vendor to create an automated failover system so calls will be routed directly to remote support sites in the case of a failure of our primary phone system.

While nobody can completely prevent any form of failures in the future, with these changes we can certainly minimize the effects of such failures and reduce the impact on you, our valued customers.

At the time of me writing this message all of our systems appear to be back up and running and I can assure you that our network operations team will continue to investigate this unfortunate event.

In closing I would like to thank the entire Globat.com team (especially Chris, Lou, Tim, Don and Rene) for working nonstop, without sleep or
interruption to resolve this issue and, of course, our customers for their many encouraging comments and especially their incredible patience. You are certainly very much appreciated!

Ben R. Neumann
Chief Executive Officer
www.Globat.com
Posted By: Pov Re: Problems getting worse... - 02/23/08 01:29 AM
Excuses, excuses... :rolleyes: wink

How 'bout a rebate, Benny? lol
Posted By: Tamper Lad Re: Problems getting worse... - 02/23/08 01:47 AM
Phones not working lol

Teach them not to use IP phones connected through a single switch to the very connection they use to provide all their other services as their only phone system.

Give me 48V DC copper loops connected to a mechanical switches. "Hello Operator, give me Don Mills 28752"
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Problems getting worse... - 02/23/08 08:29 AM
Just out of curiosity, what are the "well known internet forums" where they post outage information? Tech sites?

He probably just sent that out to explain to his wife why he forgot her birthday... wink
Posted By: Pov Re: Problems getting worse... - 02/23/08 04:42 PM
Now see, I thought it sounded like he was lumping her b-day in with the rest of his misery... wink lol
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Problems getting worse... - 02/25/08 12:37 AM
Someday I'll get us away from this downtime glut we're experiencing. Sorry everyone.
Posted By: rtvu2 Re: Problems getting worse... - 03/04/08 01:55 PM
Everything is working way quicker today. I can actually post from work and not have to bill it to a client. Did something happen - did you switch servers?
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Problems getting worse... - 03/04/08 02:10 PM
Nope. I haven't had time. But things have been good for me the last several days when I've checked in.
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: Problems getting worse... - 03/05/08 08:13 PM
It's been much better for me this week. To be honest, I've barely been coming here for the last several weeks because it was virtually impossible for me to log in from work. Hopefully things will stay good and maybe I can get back into the habit of dropping by more often smile
Posted By: Reboot Re: Problems getting worse... - 04/01/08 11:15 AM
The shoutbox and "Last posts" island are failing here for no obvious reasons.
Posted By: Tamper Lad Re: Problems getting worse... - 04/14/08 11:28 AM
After quite a few weeks of good performance, site seems to have had an extended period of downtime Sunday night.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Problems getting worse... - 04/15/08 12:02 AM
Thanks Peter. I noticed it too. "Globat" was down as well.

On the bright side, I back upped the site pretty quickly since no new posts were being made. urk
Posted By: Reboot Re: Problems getting worse... - 04/15/08 03:03 PM
And today, it's been down and/or timing out most of the day for me.
Posted By: Reboot Re: Problems getting worse... - 04/28/08 03:53 PM
Several key images (including the top-left image) and the JavaScript times are absent.
Posted By: Mediocre Boy Re: Problems getting worse... - 04/28/08 04:43 PM
Hi. FYI, I've intermittently been having trouble accessing this site for weeks. And now, today, even though I've been able to get on, none of the icons/buttons are loading. Just thought that I should share.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Problems getting worse... - 04/28/08 05:52 PM
Yeah. Sorry.

Our server last night went off line citing "Scheduled Maintenance" even though I was never informed of such and now most of the images are not showing.

I promise I'll move us to a new host as soon as I can. Until then, all I can say is that I'm sorry.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Problems getting worse... - 04/28/08 08:53 PM
On the bright side... the site hasn't loaded this fast in ages!
Posted By: Pov Re: Problems getting worse... - 04/28/08 09:18 PM
lol
Posted By: Reboot Re: Problems getting worse... - 04/28/08 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Eryk Dumaka Ester:
On the bright side... the site hasn't loaded this fast in ages!
That is, when it loads, since it's just been down for half an hour for me.

PS: Pov, when the smilies don't load, there's not much point in using image smilies :-þ
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Problems getting worse... - 04/28/08 10:47 PM
rotflmao
Posted By: Rockhopper Lad Re: Problems getting worse... - 04/29/08 03:28 AM
Despite the smilies not loading at the moment, Gary needs these right now:
hug hug hug
Posted By: Vee Re: Problems getting worse... - 04/29/08 04:39 PM
Oddly enough both Pov & Rocky's smilies are showing up for me. Most of the avatars are now showing up as well but were not as late as this morning. Most of the other graphics on the pages are not loading nor is anything with a date or time.

Since I'm at work and don't have the site bookmarked I always just do a search on Yahoo or Google and then follow the link here. Today when doing so, I got the following error message.

"We're Sorry!
Legion World has moved to a new server.

We hope to have everything up and running again soon.

In the meantime, you can still utilize the Message Board without the images and javascripts.

Apache Server at legionworld.net"

The words "Message Board" were a link which brought me directly to the site.

Don't know if that helps identify the problem at all or if it just confuses the matter but I thought I should report it to Gary just in case.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Problems getting worse... - 04/29/08 06:21 PM
Interesting. Since I didn't set up that message that means that globat did.

I appreciate them telling me that they've moved me. Sheesh! No wonder things aren't working.
Posted By: Reboot Re: Problems getting worse... - 04/29/08 07:40 PM
Shows how often you use your front page NC smile [Actually, are they allowed to do that?]

No images at all are working for me now, even the Online/Offline interlac and the Profile/Edit/Reply/etc icons that did show up before.
Posted By: Ram Boy Re: Problems getting worse... - 04/29/08 07:55 PM
Same here Nightcrawler. No images or dates. Also had the same message as Vee when I did a Google search.

Are these people moving you one byte at a time?
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Problems getting worse... - 04/30/08 12:06 AM
They must be punishing me for not buying their latest scam! I'll try to do something about this this weekend. This is so ridiculous.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Problems getting worse... - 04/30/08 09:31 PM
Hi!

Sorry about this mess. Since globat's only response to me thus far is -

Dear VAlued Customer

Thank you for contacting the Globat Signature Support.

Upon checking the link you provided:

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

i cant find any internal server error.

Thank you for your inquiry,

Jay
Globat Signature Support
www.Globat.com Web Hosting Made Easy®
- I've decided to take my business elsewhere. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do the actual move and DNS changes until probably this weekend.

I'll just have to see how my schedule goes. The last few days I've been training people, so I haven't even had a chance to do my real work yet this week.
Posted By: Reboot Re: Problems getting worse... - 04/30/08 11:44 PM
*rolls eyes and snorts derisively*

So they've no plans to actually fix anything? [You should have sent them to http://www.legionworld.net/ - or indeed, http://www.legionworld.net/asbfwsbfvijasbfjbewsjifvnesw/ as any non-MB page, whether it should exist or not gives the same error]
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Problems getting worse... - 05/01/08 12:37 AM
I did. But, that was the only e-mail they bothered to send to me regarding the situation. Despite me asking several times for them to fix whatever they did.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Problems getting worse... - 05/01/08 06:50 PM
Again sorry about the last several days.

globat found and resolved the issue for us.
Posted By: Vee Re: Problems getting worse... - 05/01/08 11:54 PM
Yay!

And thanks Gary for doing everything you did/do to make this place so terrific.

cheers
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Problems getting worse... - 05/02/08 01:04 PM
Here's what I just wrote at the Yahoo! group to get everyone up to speed about last night/this morning -

After finally getting Legion World's images and javascripts, etc. back
up, globat did something catastrophic with our server (and or some of
the files - erasing all data in most of them).

Ordinarily, this would be no big deal as I would just replace what's
missing. Unfortunately, I was backing up some of the critical files
when this occurred (overwriting my last back up - never doing that
again) and now I don't have replacements. This was in preparation for
our move to a new server already purchased.

I've asked Scott for the ones I no longer have, but his last back up
of those files is in February (on his home computer) due to globat's
FTP program time-outs and such making it difficult to back up the site
regularly.

What's effected now is post counts and some other behind-the-scenes
files as well as several Member files.

- Hopefully, everything is back to normal. If you notice anything please post it here and I'll try to fix it.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Problems getting worse... - 05/02/08 01:07 PM
Er...topic "DC Universe/ LSH 3 Worlds (spoilers)" in the Legion forum no longer exists. I do not have a recent back up, nor do I have one here at work. Once I get home tonight...I'll restore what I can.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Problems getting worse... - 05/02/08 01:21 PM
Gary I may have it at home but I won't be there until after 7:00 tonight. Just let me know if you still need it. Last night I was able to back up the forums (at least I hope I was) while I was looking for the other files.
Posted By: CJ Taylor Re: Problems getting worse... - 05/02/08 01:36 PM
Ummm yeah... ditto? laugh
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Problems getting worse... - 05/02/08 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Gary I may have it at home but I won't be there until after 7:00 tonight. Just let me know if you still need it. Last night I was able to back up the forums (at least I hope I was) while I was looking for the other files.
Yeah. If you can check it. If I did back it up last night I guarantee it was the corrupted version. frown
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Problems getting worse... - 05/02/08 10:15 PM
Sorry Gary. By the time it got around to that thread it must have been your corrupted version. I have an empty .cgi file (#5108) that must be the thread in question.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Problems getting worse... - 05/02/08 10:27 PM
Yeah. frown I'll see what I have when I get home in about an hour.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Problems getting worse... - 05/02/08 11:37 PM
Looks like it's gone for good. Does anyone remember who started the thread? I'd like to give credit where credit is due.
Posted By: Tamper Lad Re: Problems getting worse... - 05/03/08 12:01 AM
It was one of mine. tease
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Problems getting worse... - 05/03/08 11:43 PM
I'm ready to move us to a new host! I've tested things out at the place and it's actually more compatible with the Classic software than this server ever was (and moving here was one of the reasons I bought the UBB.Threads software last year).

Anyway, as soon as we stop new posts and PMs here and I move the rest of the files over...

I then will initiate the DNS transfer to the new server(s) which usually takes about 24 hours to populate throughout the world (it means that when you type in "www.legionworld.net" it shows the new server version and not this one anymore).

I hate to take things away just as they begin to work again, so I'll check in periodically to see if things slow down. Either way, around 11ish Pacific time tonight...the board will be visible, but blocked for new content until we are moved (no new posts, replies, or PMs after 11pm Pacific).

The board will resume after the servers switchover.
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Problems getting worse... - 05/04/08 08:32 AM
And done.
© Legion World