Legion World
Welcome to......

Kill This Thread XXI !!!

The following rules were established by Kent at the start of the first 24-hour version, adapted from the original rules by EDE:

The rules:

1. The Basic Idea: Post to this thread, if no one posts after you for 24 hours, you win!

2. Posts that are not direct responses to one of the five preceding posts are ineligible to win. The topic can drift, but no complete non-sequitors. Posts that are responses to non-sequitors are also ineligible to win. Posts that are responses to responses to non-sequitors, and response nses to those posts, etc., become eligible, however.

3. In the event that this thread is locked, there shall be no winner unless a new thread is started for the contest. Furthermore, any post that results in the banning of the poster shall also be ineligible to win.

4. So, more precisely, one wins if one makes a post, and then no one makes another post that's eligible to win for 24 hours.

Here's a history of our various felons, along with a few missed opportunities.....

I - walkwithcrowds (7-day version)
II - none
III - none
IV - Quislet, Esq
V - Rockhopper Lad (the first 24-hour version)
VI - Rockhopper Lad
VII - cleome
VIII - Rockhopper Lad
IX - Rockhopper Lad
X - none
XI - none
XII - none
XIII - Invisible Brainiac
XIV - Invisible Brainiac
XV - Invisible Brainiac
XVI - Invisible Brainiac
XVII - Invisible Brainiac
XVIII - cleome
XIX - cleome
XX - cleome
XXI - Jfposey
XXII - Invisible Brainiac
XXIII - jfposey
XIV - Invisible Brainiac
XV - PALADIN (eff YEAH!!!)
XVI- Quislet, Esq.
XVII - Invisible Brainiac
XVIII - none
XIX - none
XX - Quislet, Esq.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 02/22/19 04:26 PM
You all might as well give up now!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 02/22/19 07:49 PM
So when you indicated that I might get to win the last round... well something went a bit wrong.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 02/22/19 08:38 PM
You had your chance. Didn’t you have a reminder to post to the thread? What happened?
thoth must have forgotten!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 02/22/19 09:41 PM
Not a reminder to post to the thread. Just to that post a while ago. I thought Ibby wouldcrespond to your post.
I have to admit, I'm pretty surprised that a post about gay adult movies would kill a thread...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 02/22/19 11:15 PM
Gay adult movies are just that powerful
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 02/23/19 03:59 AM
And yet I don't recall any of these powerful films winning an Oscar. Is this more discrimination?
Originally Posted by thoth lad
Not a reminder to post to the thread. Just to that post a while ago. I thought Ibby wouldcrespond to your post.

it certainly is the type of topic I would respond to, adult gay movies wink

I had a very busy day at work then, though.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 02/23/19 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by thoth lad
And yet I don't recall any of these powerful films winning an Oscar. Is this more discrimination?

You should see the Celluloid Closet
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 02/23/19 06:26 PM
I did look at the list of films that it contains footage of.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 02/23/19 07:52 PM
I am trying to borrow Dracula's Daughter from the library. The catalog says that it is in and that I am first in line, but it has been that way for weeks. I think it might be lost.
One of my friends almost lost 6 of my Legion Lost issues. It took half a year to get them back.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 02/23/19 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by Quislet, Esq
I am trying to borrow Dracula's Daughter from the library. The catalog says that it is in and that I am first in line, but it has been that way for weeks. I think it might be lost.

Ah, Countess Zaleska. I remember it more for the camera work than for the plot.
Camera work is one of those things that is best judged by the standards of its time.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 02/24/19 08:18 PM
Oh, I don't know. I watch older films with my brother. Quite often the cinematography still stands out. You can see where later people have tried to imitate it. Quite often they've not succeeded, even with the technological advances.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 02/25/19 02:56 AM
Funny, I was just watching yesterday a yout tube entitled "Why RAY HARRYHAUSEN is AWESOME".
Never knew the guys name before but he is obviously someone we owe much of our special effects to.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 02/25/19 07:44 AM
I made sure to see Jason and the Argonauts on the big screen the last time it played, just to see his effects.
Ah, Jason and the Argonauts. The greatest gathering of heroes in Greek mythology. The Justice League of their time.

And the ancient Greeks would bristle at the comparison. "We did it first! The Justice League copied us!"
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 02/25/19 06:05 PM
I think the ancient Greeks would be more like "Why are there women? And why aren't the men nude?"
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 02/25/19 08:57 PM
Surely the Ancient Greeks could be distracted by the adult male films that killed the last thread while Jason & the Argonauts got made.
Many versions of the Argonauts include Atalanta as the only female member.

Showing that the "token female character" has really ancient roots...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 02/26/19 12:37 AM
I wonder if she was the Argonauts secretary like Diana was for her super teams.
Quite an honor for her, to be secretary,no? Most women just served wine and meat! *sarcasm*
I suppose you could count Medea as an Argonaut as well, since she travels with them on the way back at least.
Medea was arguably the most important, without her they never would have succeeded
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 02/26/19 11:57 AM
The Golden Fleece was a ram, so ewe can't count that as another female presence on the ship.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 02/26/19 01:26 PM
Actually the Golden Fleece was not a ram. It was the skin of a ram.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 02/26/19 05:18 PM
I sacrificed that point for the pun. So that went well smile
Extremely well smile

A point or a pun: Scylla and Charybdis.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 02/26/19 08:02 PM
Charybdis was also the name of a biological horror in the Rogue Trooper comic. It was drawn by the late Steve Dillon at the time when I thought he was doing his best work.
Biological horrors. Shudder. I just saw a clip of the movie Akira. Lots of that there.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 02/27/19 07:26 AM
The battle at the end of Dark City is a homage to Akira.
Akira was a vanguard.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 02/27/19 05:16 PM
Bumpers can also guard vans from impacts.
They also make great locations for stickers
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 02/27/19 06:44 PM
In real estate it is location, location, location.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 02/27/19 10:18 PM
location, location, location was the name of a TV show here, where two really annoying presenters would try and find properties for prospective buyers. One of them had a habit of telling people to demolish load bearing structures to make their new homes more open plan. She ended up doing a twee program niche craft designers got paid little or nothing for the opportunity to present their wares on TV. It was also clear that her researchers did all the work.
Some presenters are just there to look pretty.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 02/28/19 11:39 AM
This is more the case that she's the daughter of a baron with connections, connections, connections.
Up the wazoo.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 02/28/19 07:52 PM
I didn't think it polite to ask if that was the case.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 02/28/19 07:57 PM
Where is Emily Post when you need her?
Wouldn't you rather have Emily Sivana instead?
I suspect Magnificus Sivana is more Quis's type.
With a name like that, I have high expectations
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/01/19 02:16 PM
Charles Dickens had Great Expectations
It’s great to have high expectations
Great Expectations is a sad story, though.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/01/19 05:22 PM
Dooming generations of young men to fall for heartless, cruel women. smile
*Sigh*... Estella... love... wink
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/01/19 07:01 PM
The legend (book and films) of Alraune also concern a woman who is apparently unable to love.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/01/19 07:59 PM
Catch-22 was the first book I stopped reading. It was making me feel depressed.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/01/19 11:39 PM
The sequel to it was worse in so many ways, mainly quality.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/02/19 12:26 AM
I had to study Catch-22 for English at High School. We had an excursion to see the film at a theatre. I had seen it before and I warned my friends that it was a lot more graphic than the TV version. They didn't believe me. Boy were they shocked.
There are still scenes from movies or TV that stick with me.

Like that scene in Jury Duty, where Pauly Shore tries (and fails) to be a male stripper.

Seeing men's butts in jockstraps and thongs was... interesting smile
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/02/19 10:55 AM
Seeing Pauly Shore in a jockstrap. I am surprised that it didn’t turn you straight.
There was another actor who did a much better stripper routine before Pauly did his.

Plus, Pauly was still young and slim then...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/02/19 09:17 PM
I recently bought a box set of the Comic Strip Presents: A collection of alternative comedy from the 1980s.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/03/19 12:07 AM
I don’t see the connection between comedy and Pauly Shore.
It's labeled comedy. Whether it really is...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/03/19 06:06 PM
Comedy can be a very subjective thing. A recent programme showed that three comedians all had varying lines on what they thought was acceptable comedy, when it came to "sensitive" subjects.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/03/19 07:36 PM
I've used the scent-free and dye-free laundry detergent. However I am sensitive to that and it causes my skin to really itch. The laundry detergent that has dye and scent does not do that to me.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/03/19 09:19 PM
I find the scents in detergents to be too strong and prefer towards scent free, or lighter scents, myself. I don't get rashes or itches though.
I’ve sometimes used too much detergent with my laundry. The smell could be quite overpowering.

I’ve also had problems with not drying my clothes properly.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/04/19 12:05 AM
I know I've let my chores slip if I'm ironing a not fully dry shirt in the morning.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/04/19 02:37 AM
“The Morning After” was the theme song to the movie “The Poseidon Adventure”.
Disaster movies make me sad. Especially when nice people die in terrible ways.

There was a movie set in a sinking ship, where one of the characters (a female crew member) was the last to climb up a ladder to a higher floor. She got delayed because she stopped to pick up something someone else had dropped. Unfortunately, water came flooding in while she was still on the ladder. One of the other characters grabbed her arm but could not pull her up.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/04/19 05:15 PM
Used by Levitz to similar effect when Thom Kallor died.
Sun Boy too frown
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/04/19 07:36 PM
At least Thom and Poseidon Lass didn't get eaten afterwards. Actually, that could have happened to Poseidon Lass.
One of the villains in the Captain Marvel movie is named Mister Atlas, whose real name is Att-Lass, which actually seems like it would be a really good name for a Legion character!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/05/19 03:55 PM
I would think that Att Lass’ power would be teleportation.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/05/19 05:19 PM
Does Mister Atlas help others become the Hero of the Beach?
By what definition? Muslce size?
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/05/19 11:14 PM
I know what “muscle” you are most interested in.
Now, now, there are two muscles I'm equally interested in!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/06/19 07:21 AM
Because why would you favour one bicep over the other.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/06/19 02:44 PM
You spelt “favor” incorrectly
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/06/19 05:19 PM
I just add such mistakes to add colour to my posts.
Suuuuure, you do.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/07/19 05:55 AM
So Thoth is not American (or possibly a time traveller? https://grammarist.com/spelling/favor-favour/)
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/07/19 08:54 AM
Possibly and rather than or.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/07/19 02:47 PM
I say Ra-ther!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/07/19 05:34 PM
I should coco.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/07/19 05:37 PM
I am coo-coo for Cocoa Puffs.
Coco loco
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/07/19 09:50 PM
Coco loco in Acapulco
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/07/19 11:34 PM
Aha! Thoth obviously comes from Acapulco! Gave it away there.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/08/19 04:24 AM
Or perhaps Loco, Oklahoma
Hmmmm...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/08/19 07:59 AM
Is that the name of a town too?
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/08/19 09:33 AM
Well try google maps on this location:
Hmmmm, Kemiri Muka, Depok City, West Java, Indonesia
Not sure what it is but Google thinks it exists
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/08/19 12:31 PM
Massachusetts has the following towns: Florida, Peru, Wales, and Holland
Paris has a metro station called Argentine
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/08/19 05:35 PM
Don’t cry for me Argentina
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/08/19 10:25 PM
Just as well. Getting the whole country to do something at the same time would have posed some logistical issues.
They can schedule shifts.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/08/19 11:50 PM
Someone I once knew came from a town in Victoria called Speed. Everyone called him Slow.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/09/19 06:33 AM
Sloe gin seems to be drunk just as quickly as anything else.
You know how we humans are. We know it's bad for us, but it feels good, so gosh darn it...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/09/19 08:30 AM
That's what I was thinking as I scoffed crisps yesterday.
One more won't add THAT many calories, right?

And before long, that one more piece becomes one more bag...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/09/19 12:47 PM
All in all you’re just another brick in the wall
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/09/19 02:58 PM
All in all you're just another wrapper in the giant junk pile covering our oceans.
This applies to all humans.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/10/19 12:44 PM
I am human and I need to be loved
Just like everybody else does
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/10/19 04:55 PM
Nice try Quisbot.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/10/19 07:23 PM
That does not compute.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/10/19 08:38 PM
I hope Quisbot isn't about to Short Circuit, as I'd rather not have to watch that again.
I just hope Quisbot isn't really COMPUTO in disguise.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/11/19 05:32 AM
Unless it's the butler version.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/11/19 11:58 AM
Is it the future that all butlers are turned into computers like Jarvis.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/11/19 05:30 PM
Surely there would be the demand for JEEVES.
Ask Jeeves was the very first search engine I used
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/11/19 09:46 PM
It was a more successful engine than its predecessor, Ask Wooster.
Ask Smithers was the earliest example of them all.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/12/19 06:35 AM
A very early search engine was Ask Ug. You'd have to go to his cave to access it, and all the answers were "ug" but the basics were there.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/12/19 10:11 AM
I am Groot
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/12/19 05:19 PM
Pleased to meet you Groot.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/12/19 06:45 PM
The pleasure is all mine. er.... I mean I am Groot.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/12/19 07:50 PM
Gentleman Groot. You can't deny breeding. I wonder if Grootiest was ever a contender for one of those hip '60s Titans covers...
"Grooty to the max!" -- comics writer getting 80s slang wrong.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/12/19 08:47 PM
"Titanic Teens! They're Groovy, Gear, Grooty and Ginchy" - Teen Titans blurb written by a guy in his '50s suffering concussion from falling Go-Go Checks.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/13/19 12:51 PM
Hey man just because I’m 50 doesn’t mean that I am not hip to how all the rad kids rap. Don’t make me lol.
Okay, what does lol mean then?
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/13/19 10:25 PM
rofl is even worse. I mean who actually does that? (Although truth be told I have actually done it - once - and I did get a worried look from my friend.)
It does also depend on how funny the stimulus was.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/13/19 10:58 PM
iirc was the one I could never remember properly.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/13/19 11:14 PM
My earliest memory is of my sister sing me to sleep with the song “Chim Chim Cher-ee”
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/13/19 11:17 PM
I saw a couple of politicians on the news tonight who have fond feelings towards the return of chimney sweeping waifs. That whole era really.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/13/19 11:26 PM
Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?
Per Wonder Twins #2, there are no prisons on Exxor.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/14/19 06:59 AM
I can think of some gloomy reasons why, but they wouldn't fit what I'd think of as the tone of the book.
In LSH v4 119, the 20th century LEGION visited a planet where being poor was a crime. The rich killed and ate the poor...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/14/19 08:18 PM
Eat the Rich was a UK comedy film in the late 1980s. The plot was to kill rich people and serve them to other rich people at a swanky restaurant.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/14/19 08:19 PM
Sounds like Jonathan Swift’s modest proposal
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/14/19 10:29 PM
Why wait for Soylent Green?
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/14/19 11:51 PM
I like my cannibalism old school.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/15/19 12:03 AM
Although if swift is the model you're going by, not so much of the old in old school.
Young and tender.

Would appeal to my ex boyfriend, who replaced me for a runway model 8 years younger than I am.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/15/19 04:00 PM
No one can replace you Ibby! The very thought is nonsense!

I did read it as run away model at first, and was about to ask if the authorities had been contacted. smile
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/15/19 06:52 PM
Respect my Authoritah!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/15/19 07:38 PM
Only if you have a clipboard.
I can imagine a lot of runway models saying that wink
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/15/19 10:11 PM
I used to watch Project Runway.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/15/19 10:58 PM
The show where aspiring models are flattened by landing planes?
No, no, they made them BUILD the runway first (in the skimpiest underwear possible - one guy looked like he was only wearing a postage stamp, which says more about his lack of anatomy than anything else)...

Then they separated out the obnoxious contestants and had THOSE flattened by the planes.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/16/19 07:39 AM
There doesn't seem to be any shortage of obnoxious people in the world.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/16/19 12:00 PM
At 7 billion and growing I don’t think that we are going to have a shortage of any type of people.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/16/19 01:15 PM
And if you got them all to form a giant human pyramid you'd have something to take your mind off things like sustainable/optimum population numbers.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/16/19 01:50 PM
A Ponzi scheme is also known as a pyramid scheme.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/16/19 06:14 PM
I've not seen an ad for one of those ion emitting pyramids for a while.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/17/19 04:17 AM
Nor for restless leg syndrome
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/17/19 05:16 AM
Not to be confused with Happy Feet.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/17/19 03:10 PM
I have not seen that movie
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/17/19 07:01 PM
Nor I. I am seeing a lot of older movies for the first time though.
I'm not terribly fond of movies. I prefer activities where my mind is more active, such as video games.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/18/19 11:12 AM
There's a certain amount of activity in learning and appreciating the craft that went into making a lot of these movies. I've read quite a bit about certain subjects as a result of seeing some of them too.
There definitely is, but my mind simply prefers the other kinds of stimuli.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/18/19 04:57 PM
As long as you are not salivating at the sound of a bell.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/18/19 08:58 PM
I'm hardwired to react to cats. I once read that there's a parasite that comes from cats and actually gets prey to come towards them. I might have that. Or it's mind control.
That explains a lot.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/19/19 12:45 AM
The human body is a host to all kinds of microbial cells, yet none of them seem to grant the powers you see from the ones in Star Wars.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/19/19 02:03 AM
I have the power to change red stop lights into green ones. The time it takes my power to work can vary.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/19/19 10:56 AM
When I was inducted into the Amber Butane Corps, I didn't realise that my magic lighter meant that I could freeze traffic lights at amber. I fought crime for three years before someone else from the corps arrived with a replacement lighter for my defective one.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/19/19 12:45 PM
There was that Green Lantern whose species had no visual abilities. He became the F-sharp Bell
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/19/19 02:00 PM
That story could have been combined with John Byrne's snowstorm issue of Alpha Flight, but in green.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/19/19 02:45 PM
I survived the Blizzard of 78
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/19/19 08:47 PM
I survived the Blizzard of '78s when that shelf of old records fell in the shop.
I survived the Summer of '69.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/19/19 10:37 PM
Yeah, I couldn't stand that Bryan Adams song either. smile
But everything he does he does it for you!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/20/19 12:41 AM
I wish he would Run To You instead.
You can't escape his love.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/20/19 03:22 PM
Sooner or later he'll be Back To You.
And he will Always Be My Baby.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/20/19 05:23 PM
That's why I like being an uncle. You can always give a fussy baby back to its parents.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/20/19 10:37 PM
It's a fine line between that and being an eccentric uncle who gives a fussy baby to anyone who passes by.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/21/19 12:56 AM
I hope that I never need a bypass operation
Removal of the Bread Basket is the most valuable operation in the game Operation.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/21/19 08:01 AM
But due to staff shortages, if you can manage the bread basket op, then you're fully qualified.
Ukraine used to be known as the bread basket of the Soviet Union.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/21/19 03:36 PM
Unfortunately, Moscow had counted on the grain production rather than the basket weaving when it was making the next five year plan.
Was that before or after Chernobyl?
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/21/19 04:25 PM
Before and After is a category on Wheel of Fortune
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/21/19 06:28 PM
Pictures of celebrity cosmetic surgery rarely look as good after as before.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/21/19 07:02 PM
Even more so for celebrity autopsies.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/21/19 08:03 PM
With all the plastic, it should save the funeral directors a bit of work.
Add the plastic from their personalities too.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/21/19 08:52 PM
Mr. McGuire: I just want to say one word to you. Just one word.

Benjamin: Yes, sir.

Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?

Benjamin: Yes, I am.

Mr. McGuire: Plastics.

Benjamin: Exactly how do you mean?

Mr. McGuire: There's a great future in plastics. Think about it. Will you think about it?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/21/19 08:55 PM
Plastic Man has had a long career in comics and other media.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/21/19 09:29 PM
Jack Cole, the creator of Plastic Man, committed suicide.
I have a friend who suffers from depression and anxiety. She is a very good friend and I check in with her often.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/22/19 04:28 PM
So many people do not understand depression and anxiety.

Depression: No, you can't just think about good things

Anxiety: No, you can't just relax
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/23/19 12:27 AM
We Will All Go Together When We Go by Tom Lehrer puts a brighter, satirical slant on the depressing thought of the nukes falling.
As long as we're together... taking you with me...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/23/19 10:45 AM
I got that creepy My Little Pony "Friends...Forever" vibe there smile
So many phrases can be interpreted in two very different ways... wink
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/23/19 11:59 AM
Without which we'd have to go without... double entendre.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/23/19 03:29 PM
Doesn’t a double entendre have to have a sexual component?
Sex sells, after all.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/23/19 08:42 PM
It should have a suggestive quality to which the listener's/ viewer's mind connects up the dots.

Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Sex sells, after all.

That reminds me of that old line...

She sells sex on the sea...oh no she doesn't ...the vice squad have picked her up. And the mayor should have known better.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/23/19 11:28 PM
Robert Kraft should have known better.
Many people should know better, but don’t
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/23/19 11:49 PM
Yeah, bringing processed cheese into... no...wait...
Cheez-Whiz is not real cheese
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/24/19 02:19 AM
Common sense is not that common.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/24/19 06:51 AM
The Wombles of Wimbledon would forage on the common.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/24/19 12:51 PM
I have never competed at Wimbledon
Would you like to?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/24/19 01:03 PM
Tennis is one of the many televised sports that bore me senseless.
Baseball and lacrosse are some of the worst offenders for me
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/24/19 01:19 PM
Handball is big in France, but I can't think if I've seen any of it here.
Apparently, lawn hockey is decently popular in the Netherlands.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/24/19 06:59 PM
There were a lot of call off for an international football game this weekend, with the suggestion that a lot of the players don't want to risk injury on the artificial pitch used at that venue.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/24/19 07:20 PM
Once some friends who were big into football invited a bunch of us over to watch the game. It was good and I got into it while watching. Afterwards, they asked me if I'd be watching the game next week. I said "nope."
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/24/19 07:52 PM
A bit of give and take is a good thing between friends. If you watch their football match, then they can watch the darts with you.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/24/19 09:44 PM
I wouldn’t make anyone watch the darts. I may bore them with stories of my banking days.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/24/19 09:50 PM
I've no idea why Astounding Accountancy and Banking Tales to Baffle never took off as comic series.
The mystery of the Unbalanced Ledger always sends chills down my spine.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/25/19 12:04 AM
The good thing about ebooks is that you don't have to worry about damaging the spine of the book.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/25/19 12:54 PM
I've told you again and again that I did not damage your book.
Oh thoth, stop hounding Quis.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/25/19 02:26 PM
It's just that the book in question was the Hound of the Baskervilles.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/25/19 04:34 PM
The first Sherlock Holmes story featured Mormons from Utah.

Dracula is killed by a cowboy from America.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/25/19 07:23 PM
The UK had no knife crime before fictional Americans brought it here in the likes of Dracula.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/25/19 08:00 PM
Obviously you Brits can’t handle one measly vampire.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/25/19 08:17 PM
With our politicians and businessmen, there's only so many we could support. smile
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/25/19 11:27 PM
Playtex 18 hour bra gives you the support that lifts and separates.
But only for 18 hours.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/26/19 09:56 AM
18 hours is not enough time to kill this thread.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/26/19 02:15 PM
Spare bras for all Legion Worlders!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/27/19 01:34 PM
We don't need your socialism here. Next you will be proposing universal healthcare for all.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/27/19 04:05 PM
Crumbs! How am I going to explain to The Man that I only got into communism for the bras?
Well, in Soviet Russia, the boobs support the bras!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/27/19 10:30 PM
Brasnost!
She's got a nice pair o' stroika if you know what I mean!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/28/19 01:26 AM
I like Dick. Dick Grayson I mean
That reminds me of a joke:

Dr. Phil was conducting a group therapy session with four young mothers and their small children.

"You all have obsessions," he observed.

To the first mother, he said, "you are obsessed with eating. You've even named your daughter Candy."

He turned to the second mom. "Your obsession is with money. Again, it manifests itself in your child's name, Penny."

He turns to the third mom. "Your obsession is alcohol. This, too, manifests itself in your child's name, Brandy."

At this point, the fourth mother gets up takes her little boy by the hand and whispers, "Come on Dick! We're leaving."
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/28/19 12:46 PM
I’m leaving on a jet plane. Don’t know when I‘ll be back again. Oh babe I hate to go.
My heart is so jet-lagged.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/28/19 10:51 PM
Isn't your heart with the rest of you...unless...you left your heart in San Fransisco.
I wonder if the Tin Man thought of looking there.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/29/19 12:17 AM
In the book The Wizard of Oz, the scarecrow isn’t given a diploma by the wizard. He is given a bunch of pins to put in his head. That way he would be sharp.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/29/19 02:25 PM
The Scarecrow thought about arguing, but feared being told to "get stuffed"
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/30/19 09:41 AM
The Tinman was worried about getting bent.
The Cowardly Lion was afraid of... um... being... uh... attacked... by... catty people?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/30/19 12:30 PM
I thought the poster for Wicked was a good one, but that's where my interest in it ended.
I did enjoy Defying Gravity. But yes, normally I don't like prequels.
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/30/19 04:06 PM
I would not enjoy defying gravity. I don't want to float off the coastline and drown in the ocean.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/30/19 06:27 PM
I read the book "Wicked" I did not like it at all.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/30/19 11:02 PM
There have been a few books that I've disliked enough to just give up on.
There have been many books like that for me as well.

Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
I would not enjoy defying gravity. I don't want to float off the coastline and drown in the ocean.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

ah, but you would still float over the ocean! Higher, and higher, and into outer space... tongue
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/31/19 09:30 AM
LOL lol

"Space, the final frontier..."
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/31/19 01:49 PM
Bringing Federation peace and prosperity to worlds that were quite happy until "encouraged" to change.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/31/19 04:18 PM
I don’t mind people asking for spare change and I sometimes give some. However the ones who just shake a cup at me annoy me. I never give them any change.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/31/19 07:20 PM
A change is as good as a rest.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/31/19 08:37 PM
All generalizations are false, including this one.
My mind has exploded from that.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/31/19 09:38 PM
Please refer to the film review of Scanners on Kappa's thread for more information on that subject.
My mind exploded again.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 03/31/19 09:55 PM
… and we'd just finished cleaning up the first mess. So, that's another fine mess you've got us into*!

*channelling recent Laurel and Hardy movie.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/01/19 12:43 AM
Laurel and Hardy were in the documentary “The Celluloid Closet”.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/01/19 11:57 AM
I'll need to look that up.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/01/19 12:58 PM
The documentary is very good. The book it is based on is also very good.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/01/19 06:27 PM
I think we talked about the documentary in previous posts. I'm not sure if that was deja vu I experienced, as that would mean checking to see how Brexit went today.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/01/19 07:00 PM
Brexit sounds like a fiberous breakfast cereal.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/01/19 08:13 PM
That's exactly what it is. We had a vote to drop Breakfast entirely and embrace our traditions by having Tiffin instead. Some people are just having difficulty giving up their cornflakes.

Legion World: Keeping an eye on events from orbit. Because you wouldn't want to be down there. smile
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/02/19 12:52 AM
Beam me up Scotty. There is no intelligent life down here.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/02/19 07:19 AM

Whenever life gets you down, Mrs. Brown,
And things seem hard or tough,
And people are stupid, obnoxious or daft,

And you feel that you've had quite eno-o-o-o-o-ough,

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at 900 miles an hour.
It's orbiting at 19 miles a second, so it's reckoned,
The sun that is the source of all our power.
Now the sun, and you and me, and all the stars that we can see,
Are moving at a million miles a day,
In the outer spiral arm, at 40,000 miles an hour,
Of a galaxy we call the Milky Way.

Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars;
It's a hundred thousand light-years side to side;
It bulges in the middle sixteen thousand light-years thick,
But out by us it's just three thousand light-years wide.
We're thirty thousand light-years from Galactic Central Point,
We go 'round every two hundred million years;
And our galaxy itself is one of millions of billions
In this amazing and expanding universe.

(waltz)

Our universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding,
In all of the directions it can whiz;
As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know,
Twelve million miles a minute and that's the fastest speed there is.
So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth;
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!
Although, people on Earth were intelligent enough to come up with that song!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/02/19 12:31 PM
Or the cast and writers of Monty Python are from another world.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/02/19 12:43 PM
Or enough people hit enough keys and that was the result.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/02/19 05:21 PM
Or an infinite number of monkeys
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/02/19 09:11 PM
The infinite monkey cage is a science radio programme. It's interesting at first but either never gets beneath the surface of anything or becomes a bit self indulgent with its success.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/03/19 03:09 AM
On YouTube I have been watching 8 out of 10 cats does Countdown. It is funny but I also like the anagrams and number puzzles.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/03/19 07:05 AM
The host of that show did a stand up routine to determine what subjects the audience found to be offensive. By framing the routine in this way he neatly avoided anyone being "outraged"
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/03/19 10:36 AM
I like Jimmy Carr but he has an odd and annoying laugh. Watching some of the clips made me aware that he had some tax problems.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/03/19 04:45 PM
Tax avoidance schemes that have to be announced by newspapers with owners of varying domicile statuses for just that reason.

Denounced by politicians who frequently have rather shady business and accountancy practices to their names, again to reduce tax. The PM who criticed Carr has tax haven links. Not to mention taxpayer funded troughs such as MP expenses.

All enforced by authorities that are woefully slow on the uptake, and have their hands tied by the very same people who denounce people like Carr for using the legal loopholes.

What do we want?: Change!
When do we want it?: When we've navigated the deliberately obscure legislation and found people to elect that won't line their own pockets!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/03/19 08:58 PM
Tell us how you really feel.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/03/19 10:13 PM
I'm all for changing the system to eliminate such loopholes. There's no reason at all why it can't be done and why it hasn't already. Except greed. And that's where the species falls flat on its butt. Hypocrisy along with it...grrrrrr...

Joke:-
What do you get...
Nothing. Blame the government.

Always makes me laugh anyway.

So yeah, Jimmy Carr's laugh is annoying. Like a hyena all the other hyenas are about to kill for being really irritating. And for over scavenging in the finely balanced hyena scavenging economy.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/04/19 01:21 AM
I have never been on a scavenger hunt. They used to have some for teams of two. I will have to check to see if they still have them.
A mudlark is someone who scavenges for items in river mud, and is particularly associated with persons who did so in London during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/04/19 04:31 PM
That is old school.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/04/19 07:36 PM
I learned that a very old school, where I am, once entertained students from an old university due to problems with their buildings.
One of our prestigious residents also had strong links with the university, as he was implicated in supplying bodies to them, taken from the graveyard.
It's handy if the big, walled property you rent is adjacent to the graveyard. See also Herbert West.
Mudlarkers and resurrection men! We're assembling a regular nineteenth century career fair in this thread!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/04/19 10:02 PM
'Cor Blimey! It's a rum do 'an no mistake Gov!

'An through the peasouper a faint glow appears! Let's hope it's not the glint from a ripper's blade! Why it's Young Annie the Match Girl!
Is that her candle giving us safe passage in these dark times? No Sir! It's the faint glow from her phosphorous plagued bones, porous and deformed from her long hours in the match factory!

Legion World 1888 Roll Call:-
Mudlark
The Resurrectionist
Match Girl
Trapper Boy is only an honorary member, since spending twelve hours a day in the coal mine doesn't leave him a lot of time for adventuring.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/05/19 09:52 PM
Coal mining was, as faithful readers of Boy's Own Legion World Adventures know, also in the blood of the Entwhistle family. Generations of their menfolk had worked themselves to death in the pits*.

But there was an escape from such back breaking, lung crippling, eye damaging labours! That was to be treated as an indentured servant by your betters as a professional cricketer! A life of fresh air, if not riches, awaited in a sport that despised the move from amateur, and gentlemanly, status.

Blessed with the near preternatural speed that could only be gained by escaping numerous tunnel collapses, Bert Entwhistle was talent spotted by mine foreman Phlegmy McGee.

While his seam bowling won him many accolades, his lower class was his inevitable undoing. He was dropped from the team for speaking out of turn to a drunken selector.

Out of work, with a family of five to feed and fearful of The Black Lung disease that would claim him as surely as all his ancestors, Entwhistle struggled to make ends meet in a game that now shunned him. He found employment as a professional crimefighter in an era of basic policing as... Bouncer Boy! His Beamers and Leg Cutters are the scourge of the ne'er do well of the place well to do people call...The North!

*See volume 23 issue11: "Entwhistle's End"; volume 34 issue 30: "The Creature From The Pit"; volume 37 issue 42: "Cave In!"

Legion World 1888 Roll Call:-
Mudlark
The Resurrectionist
Match Girl
Trapper Boy
Bouncer Boy
Canaries were used to test for poisonous gases in coal mines.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/06/19 04:12 PM
The Canaries is the nickname for Norwich football club.
Black Canary ironically wore a blonde wig to hide her black hair
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/06/19 05:04 PM
Beyond my first read as a kid, I've seen her as much too good a character to be so attached to Green Arrow's arm.

Her husband had to die to get her onto Earth-1 as a Wonder Woman replacement in JLA. Her very occasional involvement in a back up in Detective took her out of the JL Detroit.
Her appearance in Longbow Hunters was really to be assaulted as some sort of motivation for Oliver. The planning of that was enough to take her out of JLI.
Even later, I think she was included in a story just to have an affair with Ted Knight in a Starman flashback.
I've not read Birds of Prey, so that could only have been better.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/06/19 05:51 PM
Black Canary, at one point, could summon a flock of black canaries to assist her. She and Larry Lance were thrown from a tall building. Black Canary recited a poem and the birds came and saved them.
I've wondered, though I've never taken the time to investigate, whether Black Canary was at least in part inspired by Harvey's Black Cat.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/07/19 01:41 AM
Bad Luck Blackie is a Tex Avery cartoon from 1949. It is about a black cat providing a bad luck service. In 1994 it was voted the 15th greatest cartoon.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/07/19 08:43 AM
The Cooler is a film about a man providing a bad luck service to a casino to which he is indebted. Things begin to go wrong, when things start going right for his personal life.
Some Chinese traditions believe that luck comes in cycles. If you have plenty of good luck now, watch out as it might run out.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/07/19 10:12 PM
It's not just luck that travels around china on a cycle. There are over 500 million bikes there.
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/08/19 12:57 AM
Was Queen's song "Bicycle Race" a hit in China?
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/08/19 01:06 AM
Queen For A Day was a show in which women competed to see who had the worst life.
I'm guessing the prize was to be treated as a queen for the day.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/08/19 12:53 PM
Stan Lee would give out No Prizes to readers that pointed out mistakes.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/08/19 03:19 PM
I've read some quite different obituaries to Stan Lee over the months.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/08/19 04:10 PM
I am currently reading the diary of a young man living in Georgia during the American Civil War. He had a crushed leg and tuberculosis. He died just after the war ended.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/08/19 04:26 PM
There just aren't many historical comedies around.
I wonder why? I mean, things like communicable diseases, slavery, war and torture are so hilarious!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/08/19 08:22 PM
Perhaps because they are all still with us, despite us pretending we've advanced so much, they're not considered to be historical to be put into a historical comedy.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/08/19 11:44 PM
Monty Python had a go at it although I suppose they were more parodies than historical comedies.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/09/19 01:22 AM
The palindrome of Bolton would be Notlob.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/09/19 06:15 AM
In lower case, dollop reads the same when it's upside down.
A palindromic palindrome!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/09/19 07:06 AM
The radio told me they're called ambigrams. pod is another one.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/09/19 01:06 PM
A word that is another word when spelled backwards is called a emordnilap. That is palindrome spelled backwards.

An example is the words stressed and desserts.
Well, that makes sense.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/09/19 04:49 PM
Stop Making Sense was the name of a good Talking Heads album.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/09/19 04:55 PM
The Talking Heads met while attending the Rhode Island School of Design
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/09/19 06:23 PM
Rhode Island Reds are popular Amerucan chickens with origins from both Asia and Europe.
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/09/19 06:50 PM
Walt Kelly, writer and artist of the classic funny-animals comic Pogo, had a feline villain based on the notoriously anti-communist politician Joseph McCarthy. Said character was deathly afraid of a radical female chicken...a Rhode Island Red.
Posted By: Reboot Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/09/19 11:02 PM
Rhode Island Reds were represented by Rocky in the 2000 Aardman film, Chicken Run, an American con-cock.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/10/19 02:11 AM
Rocky was voiced by infamous bigot Mel Gibson.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/10/19 07:02 AM
This is still chicken run and not someone dubbing Stallone?
The chickens are running! The chickens are running!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/10/19 10:39 AM
Like a chicken with its head cut off.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/10/19 08:12 PM
Once you could harmlessly say that the headless chicken would still make more correct decisions than most politicians. These days, you'd cause "outrage" at the mere allusion of a politician being headless. In the near future it will be outrage at the suggestion of the innocent chicken being headless. Not long after that, the outrage of the headless chicken would still be there, but also because it was President McClucky.
Headless chickens are less likely to steal taxes for their own use smile
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/11/19 08:25 AM
Apart from requests involving seed money there's lots of positives in choosing the chicken over the human.
The chicken only really needs grain. but it might want the best quality grain out there
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/11/19 09:45 AM
Which raises the question, is the chicken a gourmet or a gourmand?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/11/19 10:20 AM
Is it lunch or is it dinner?
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/11/19 01:06 PM
I have a peanut butter sandwich for lunch today
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/11/19 02:58 PM
That's something i've not had.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/11/19 11:49 PM
Then you have not lived.
Hope that you fall in love, and it hurts so bad
Yeah
Only way you can know, you gave it all you had
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/12/19 07:26 AM
Or made a decent attempt at faking it, at least.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/12/19 09:55 AM
Piltdown man and the Fiji mermaid are two infamous fakes.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/12/19 12:01 PM
If fake news is fake, does that make it true?
in this case, two negatives don’t make a positive
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/12/19 04:11 PM
Considering the long history of propaganda perpetuated by governments, there's more than an element of hipocrisy when they moan at other people joining in.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/12/19 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
in this case, two negatives don’t make a positive

Two positives can’t make a negative.

Yeah,right!
That’s another case, not the one I was thinking of wink
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/12/19 08:39 PM
Were you thinking of Richard Case, the artist on an old run of Doom Patrol?
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/13/19 01:35 AM
Crazy Jane is my favorite Doom Patrol character.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/13/19 09:01 AM
I quite like the visuals on the original Negative Man. Once a year I randomly tell someone it will end in tears in tribute to being Negative.
That's the spirit! The Negative Spirit, that is.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/14/19 02:10 PM
Did I actually win one of these?

Me Post: Yesterday @10:01am MY TIME
Ibb Post: Just before 3:00pm today.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/14/19 02:32 PM
It is possible. We will know for sure when IB’s post gets a date and time stamp rather than a X minutes/hours.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/14/19 05:00 PM
Gosh! The suspense...
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/15/19 12:16 AM
It is official. Congrats thoth lad!!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXI - Fully Legal - 04/15/19 07:04 AM
Woot!

I'd like to thank everyone...for not posting.
Great going!
© Legion World