Legion World
Welcome to......

Kill This Thread XXX

The following rules were established by Kent Shakespeare at the start of the first 24-hour version, adapted from the original rules by EDE:

The rules:

1. The Basic Idea: Post to this thread, if no one posts after you for 24 hours, you win!

2. Posts that are not direct responses to one of the five preceding posts are ineligible to win. The topic can drift, but no complete non-sequitors. Posts that are responses to non-sequitors are also ineligible to win. Posts that are responses to responses to non-sequitors, and response nses to those posts, etc., become eligible, however.

3. In the event that this thread is locked, there shall be no winner unless a new thread is started for the contest. Furthermore, any post that results in the banning of the poster shall also be ineligible to win.

4. So, more precisely, one wins if one makes a post, and then no one makes another post that's eligible to win for 24 hours.

Here's a history of our various felons, along with a few missed opportunities.....

I - walkwithcrowds (7-day version)
II - none
III - none
IV - Quislet, Esq
V - Rockhopper Lad (the first 24-hour version)
VI - Rockhopper Lad
VII - cleome
VIII - Rockhopper Lad
IX - Rockhopper Lad
X - none
XI - none
XII - none
XIII - Invisible Brainiac
XIV - Invisible Brainiac
XV - Invisible Brainiac
XVI - Invisible Brainiac
XVII - Invisible Brainiac
XVIII - cleome
XIX - cleome
XX - cleome
XXI - Jfposey
XXII - Invisible Brainiac
XXIII - jfposey
XIV - Invisible Brainiac
XV - PALADIN (eff YEAH!!!)
XVI- Quislet, Esq.
XVII - Invisible Brainiac
XVIII - none
XIX - none
XX - Quislet, Esq.
XXI - thoth lad
XXII - Ann Hebistand
XXIII - Quislet, Esq.
XXIV - Invisible Brainiac
XXV - Invisible Brainiac
XXVI - Quislet, Esq.
XXVII - thoth lad
XXVIII - Quislet, Esq.
XXIX - Eryk Davis Ester
I like the subtitle of this one, "Luornu's Thing." Preboot Lu is a brunette, like me. And Bendisboot Lu is adorable:

TriplicateGirl4
New Lu is my favorite redesign!
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 08/25/20 12:11 AM
She does look quite interesting although I imagine the espionage side of her powers (splitting to make people think she is somewhere else) won't work so well if the three all look so distinctive. Also I really want to know if she still can merge and split or is she just some sort of three-body person now.
She said that the three bodies share knowledge and experience whenever they integrate, so it seems that she does still merge. I suspect Bendis is wanting to emphasize that aspect of her rather than the usefulness for espionage.
I hope Bendis comes up with some creative, cool uses of Lu's power. Most of Lu's greatest moments came from her creativity and relatability.
Writing her power is a challenge. Even the great Adventure Era Legion writer Edmund Hamilton admitted that he struggled.
But when done well, it's beautiful.

PS glad you like the subtitle, Fanfie. It seemed fitting!
Chemical King?s power really stumped a lot of writers.
Even harder to write than Element Lad's powers.
DnA turning Element Lad into an insane pseudo-god in Legion Lost v.1 was very controversial, but I have never had a problem with it. LLv1 is my favorite Legion multi-parter of all time.
I feel the same, Fanfie. I was sad for Element Lad, but it was done in a realistic way. And DnA were careful to explain why it happened, and showed that it could have happened to anyone basically (after all that Jan went through).
I didn?t like it. First they get trapped light years from home and they put their greatest thinker Brainiac 5 in stasis. Next, IIRC, Element Lad was also made immortal. I don?t see anything that would make me think of him as immortal.
To be fair, Quis, there was a good reason for putting Brainy and company in stasis. Element Lad had to do it, because they were falling into the rift. Element Lad only survived because he had transmuted himself into tarnium, the one element that could survive in there. And he couldn't be sure that doing the same to the others would let them survive.

That was also the explanation for how he became immortal. Entering the rift changed his physiology.
True but once through the rift why not take Brainy out of stasis
Because the rift had thrown them outside of the universe, and Jan couldn't be sure that they would survive.

First, the Legion went through the rift, and were thrown outside the universe. Then, they re-entered the universe, ending up in the Kwai-verse. It was only at that point when it became safe to take everyone out of stasis.
Eh, I can tolerate plot holes if the story has plenty of good qualities to compensate, which I feel Legion Lost does.
There's also that smile If the pacing and narrative work, I can forgive a few plot holes too!
And the story beats, too! That's something that I don't see enough of in modern comic books. There's that certain extra spice lacking in the scripts.
A lot of them do seem terribly by-the-numbers. Not very satisfying.
N3V3R US3 NUMB3RS AS L3TT3RS
Never utilize a lengthy word when a diminutive one will suffice
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 08/28/20 10:34 PM
Or know your Elastic Lads from your Shrinking Violets.
I think Elastica's second (and final) album, "The Menace," is an unappreciated gem. And I don't even like their self-titled debut that much.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 08/29/20 01:13 AM
"Numb3rs" was an TV crime drama where an FBI agent and his Mathematician brother used mathematics to solve crime, a bit like "Bones". Quite fun if you are a geeky nerd like me. I gave a DVD of it to my daughter for Christmas one year because she has been doing her Bachelor of Science Honours in Mathematics.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 08/29/20 05:11 AM
The FBI agent was played by Rob Morrow. He also played Dr. Joel Fleischman in the excellent series Northern Exposure. I didn't see a lot of that show, but I liked what I saw very much. I wish it was being shown on a cable channel or Netflix.
my new man and I get bored easily, so movies and long running series don?t work for us. we prefer bite sized videos... or reading
Originally Posted by Paladin
The FBI agent was played by Rob Morrow. He also played Dr. Joel Fleischman in the excellent series Northern Exposure. I didn't see a lot of that show, but I liked what I saw very much. I wish it was being shown on a cable channel or Netflix.

That's my mom's favorite show of all time, and she told me she found a few full episodes at YouTube and Dailymotion.
You can find a lot on Dailymotion. I've seen quite a few Scooby-Doo episodes there.
The Scooby Doo comic books of the 70s were written by Groo co-creator Mark Evanier.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 08/30/20 02:44 AM
I used to love Groo. I have numerous collections of his runs but not recent years.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 08/30/20 02:49 AM
New Groos are few and far between in recent years. There aren't many creators these days whose work I'd pick up on the name alone as I would have with Sergio.
I haven't really gotten into many new things recently. I don't feel like I have the time or capacity.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 08/30/20 01:49 PM
Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.
- Douglas Adams
Maybe that's why my stomach keeps asking for more food.
Originally Posted by thoth lad
Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.
- Douglas Adams

Snoopy might disagree. wink
Sometimes, lunch time is everything wink
When an astronaut aboard a rocket lost his grip on his food tube, and the tube floated away out of his reach due to zero gravity, it was...*a failure to lunch.*
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 08/31/20 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
When an astronaut aboard a rocket lost his grip on his food tube, and the tube floated away out of his reach due to zero gravity, it was...*a failure to lunch.*
LOL! Love that one Ann.

Douglas Adams had a lot of great sayings. One of my favourites is "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
I love work. I could look at it for hours.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 08/31/20 03:42 AM
Time to go to work, work all day
Search for underpants hey!
We won't stop until we have underpants
Yum tum yummy tum tay.
Time to go to work, work all night
Search for underpants hey!
We won't stop until we have underpants
Yum tum yummy tum tay
Do we need underpants if we are working from home?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 08/31/20 12:05 PM
What else would you wear on your head during meetings?
An Adventure-Era Dream Girl barrette?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 08/31/20 04:20 PM
Surely not the one you get with Legion World membership?! Your co-workers will become space meanies through sheer jealousy!
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 08/31/20 05:02 PM
Jealous meanies are STUPID! And don't call me "Shirley"!
LesterSpiffany
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 08/31/20 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by Paladin
Jealous meanies are STUPID! And don't call me "Shirley"!

Sorry Doris.
Doris Ziffle was a character on the TV show Green Acres. She was the mother of Arnold the pig. She was played by Barbara Pepper.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 08/31/20 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Quislet, Esq
... She was the mother of Arnold the pig. She was played by Barbara Pepper.

Is that where they got the idea for Peppa Pig from? smile
Are Peppermint Patty and Pepper Jack related?
Peppermint Patty first appeared in Peanuts in 1966. She lives in a different neighborhood from Charlie Brown and, in the original strips, attends a different school. There was a girl in Charlie Brown's own neighborhood named Patty, who goes back to the earliest days of Peanuts, in fact, appearing in the very first comic strip in 1950. As I child, I referred to her as Plain Patty to differentiate her from the Peppermint variety.
According to Charles Schulz, the reason Marcie started calling Peppermint Patty "Sir" had nothing to do with gender. Instead, it was because when they first met at summer camp, Patty was Marcie's counselor and, thus, an authority figure. Schulz's called it "misguided respect" on Marcie's part. (Not that it irritated Patty any less.)
Some people confuse Peppermint Patty for the earlier, less prominent character Patty.
That would be Plain Patty. grin
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/01/20 03:22 AM
"Plain Patty" reminds me of how my son used to like his burgers...the patty and the bun only. He's coming around some, now!
I used to always eat burgers plain as a kid until I realized you could actually top them with things other than the lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise trio that are standard at American fast food joints.
I've eaten burgers with mushrooms, swiss cheese, onions, pineapple, bacon...
I love burgers with mushrooms. drool
I only get pickles on my burgers. Occasionally I will have cheese on it but that is only because they got the order wrong. I always say no cheese. I think some people cannot imagine a hamburger without cheese. It is a good thing that I am not lactose intolerant.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/01/20 02:09 PM
I assumed you'd always order extra tomatoes. grin
And drown it in tomato ketchup!
And all while listening to noughties international novelty hit "The Ketchup Song (Asereje)" by Las Catsup.
My man and I danced to that a couple weekends ago!
It's a very cute song. One of the few novelty hits I never got tired of.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/02/20 01:39 AM
And here I thought Fick just made it up! lol
Lardy, you're missing half your life! lol
How could I have made it up when it had no references to poo? lol
That's a tell-tale sign!
My hero Stephen R. Bissette once wrote and drew a short story called "The Tell-Tale Fart."
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/03/20 04:13 AM
Well, if it was a "tell-tale" fart, it probably wasn't an SBD,,,, wink lol
Silence is golden, unless it's an SBD -- then it's pollution. lol
Noise pollution is a real thing!
"The Real Thing" is Faith No More's most commercially successful album.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Real_Thing_(Faith_No_More_album)
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/03/20 04:53 PM
"It's The Real Thing" was a long-running Coca-Cola ad campaign/slogan. It seems inauthentic because the original "real thing" had cocaine in it! grin
Before cocaine was declared illegal, its use in the late 19th Century was widespread and upfront.
Hilarity ensues because the abbreviation for cocaine is Coke, and so is the abbreviation for Coca-Cola
While drinking a bottle of Coke I will rub under my nose and say ?I do not have a problem. I can quit anytime.?
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/04/20 12:38 AM
In Mel Brook's "Silent Movie" one of the charcters attempts to get a can of coke from vending machine. When he first outs a coin in, instead of coming out the front a can shoots out of the left side. On his next attempt it shoots out the right side. On his third attempt he tries to cover both side slots by wrapping himself around the machine, and so predictably we suddenly see his butt jerk backward as it comes out right in his crotch. Then the words come up (because it was a silent movie all lines came up as text screens) "They're right. It is the Real Thing."
Famed mime Marcel Marceau spoke the only word in Silent Movie.
Marcel Marceau began miming as a way to entertain the hundreds of Jewish children he saved as part of the French Resistance during World War 2.
Mr. Mime is a miming Pokemon
I was too old for Pokemon, but I thought the designs were very imaginative.
I played the first 4 generations of games.
A game I loved as a kid was Relievio. It was team hide and go seek. As the hiding team was caught they would be put in jail. If a free teammate then tagged them they could escape.

A ploy I used was to hide near the jail. As the seekers went in search I would go sit in the jail. When most of my team was caught and the seekers looking for the last guy, I would say that I was never caught and free my teammates.
My favorite neighborhood game was TV Tag. The person who was it couldn't tag you if you squatted down, touched the ground, and said the title of a TV show.
We had one called "ice Water". Whomever was it could touch you and say Ice, and you'd be frozen in place. But someone could save you by touching you and saying "water".

we often played it with more than one "it" to make it more balanced.
Have an ice day.
[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCg2BoKiuOM[/video]
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
We had one called "ice Water". Whomever was it could touch you and say Ice, and you'd be frozen in place. But someone could save you by touching you and saying "water".

we often played it with more than one "it" to make it more balanced.

We called it Freeze Tag. I don?t remember if we had an unfreeze part to it.
We go to the playground
In the wintertime
The sun is fading fast
Upon the slides into the past
Upon the swings of indecision
In the wintertime

In the dimming diamonds
Scattering in the park
In the tickling
And the trembling
Of freeze tag
In the dark

We play that we're actors
On a movie screen
I will be Dietrich
And you can be Dean

You stand
With your hand
In your pocket
And lean against the wall
You will be Bogart
And I will be
Bacall

And we can only say yes now
To the sky, to the street, to the night

Slow fade now to black
Play me one more game
Of chivalry
You and me
Do you see
Where I've been hiding
In this hide-and-seek?

We go to the playground
In the wintertime
The sun is fading fast
Upon the slides into the past
Upon the swings of indecision
In the wintertime
Wintertime
Wintertime

We can only say yes now
We can only say yes now

- "Freeze Tag," Suzanne Vega (1985)
Beautiful lyrics, Fanfie! Now THAT is a song lyric.
Thanks, Ibby. She's one of my favorite recording artists to come along in the last 40 years.
Definitely going to check out some of her songs smile I love good lyrics
Yay! And I love it when my spreading the word about good artists gets people curious. smile
It's definitely a compliment to your good taste smile
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/07/20 05:32 PM
So many people here have good taste. Joining LW in the first place is but one example of this.
One of the best marks of good taste here, is that we all can appreciate different eras of the Legion. And we can critique each on its own merits.
The classic Star-Kist tuna commercials featured an animated tuna named Charlie (originally voiced by character actor Herschel Bernardi) who would go to great lengths to demonstrate his good taste so (rather morbidly) Start-Kist would be interested in catching him. The catchprase was: "Sorry, Charlie, Star-Kist doesn't want tunas with good taste; Star-Kist wants tunas that taste good."
In the Suikoden video game series, one has to recruit 108 Stars of Destiny to get the good endings.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/07/20 10:31 PM
I'd have thought recruiting 2 or 3 would have been a good ending, with anything over 12 bits of recruiting going down the path of tedious ending. There's an endless churn in a lot of games, where it's endless repetition to keep levelling up.
Try going for 100% completion in Final Fantasy X-2...
For whatever reason, I have never gotten into video games. I play word games and trivia games, but I have never been a fan of video games.
I can't do the ones that require good hand-eye coordination. Fighting games, I'm so bad at.

Or, I played against friends and cousins who were much better, so I never got the chance to learn cause they would kill me before I even made a move.
In Final Crisis, Superman saved the multiverse by cobbling together a copy of the Miracle Machine and wishing for a happy ending.

And also, for reasons to do with cosmic vibrations or somesuch, Superman *sang* Darkseid out of existence. Maybe I'm misremembering, but either way, that is still one of the goofiest things ever shown in a DCU event.
Final Crisis was a bit incomprehensible for me, but I did like many of those amazing moments. That pretty much sums up my feelings towards most Morrison stories.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/08/20 03:54 PM
You could really embrace Morrison's attempts at jump cuts throughout the story, and just look at the cover of #1 and the last page of the final issue. smile

Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
And also, for reasons to do with cosmic vibrations or somesuch, Superman *sang* Darkseid out of existence.

Do be do be doo
No more anti life for you
Do be do be dee
The multiverse is the place to be
Truth to tell, I remember almost nothing about Final Crisis anyway smile
Armageddon 2001 was better than Final Crisis, last-minute rewrites and all. smile
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/09/20 02:24 AM
I have reread Final Crisis two or three times and I still have to look up someone else's summary to try to remember what happened in it. I understand the appeal by some fans to Morrison's 4th wall breaking and interpretations of the multiverse more as tales and songs etc but it never really worked for me.

I too enjoyed most of Armageddon 2001 although I think the main story is overshadowed by all the alternate future tales we were given by so many different writers. Lots of fun to read. Great overall concept which worked better as a springboard for the other stories than the central plot.
I agree with Stile for the most part on both events, although being as I am (and being that it has sentimental value as my gateway to the DCU,) I've done a lot of theorizing about ways in which the main plot of Armageddon might have worked better in the follow-through. In recent re-reads of the bookend-special issues, I noticed hints that perhaps at one point Monarch was originally intended to be not Captain Atom alone, but rather a gestalt of Captain Atom and Waverider -- meaning that Waverider's meddling with time-space really did create Monarch!
Ditto, I liked the alternate futures in Armageddon as well.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/10/20 12:06 AM
Interesting idea of Monarch being a gestalt of Captain Atom and Waverider. Having Waverider being even more intimately involved in the creation of Monarch due to his time-travelling would have been a great twist.
It's been so long since I've read any of those that I can't remember any more. Sadly, the New 52 took a lot of the fun out of it for me. I almost never read old comics any more.
I haven't reread old comics in a while too. Part of it is the lack of time.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/11/20 05:57 AM
I'm struggling to find the enthusiasm to read new comics.
Back issues and fanfic are love for me smile
I did read the Wonder Twins series on Hulu. It was a great use of two characters who were so important in my childhood. I wish the Super Friends could have traveled to Earth-Two and teamed up with the JSA and Infinity, Inc. Zan and Jayna meet Jade and Obsidian would be so awesome. I so ship Obsidizan!
Obsidian and boyfriend Damon were adorable.
When Mike Evans left the cast of The Jeffersons after its first season, the role of George and Louise's son Lionel was recast with Damon Evans. The surname is a coincidence. The two actors are not related. Eventually, Mike Evans returned to the cast, but then left again. Lionel was seldom seen in the final years of the show.
Chris Evans is dreamy.
With a capital D! drool
Siiiigh
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/12/20 10:00 AM
I'd turn bi for him! grin
And you'd also turn bi for Rocky! smile (in LMB character terms!)
He did, grin
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/13/20 03:27 AM
Quote: "That is America's butt."
Butts can be very nice things!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/13/20 08:36 PM
Butt others put them at the bottom of their nice things list.
That sets them a bit behind in their thinking.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/13/20 10:00 PM
They're certainly bringing up the rear in conventional thinking on the subject.
Indeed, they're liable to make asses of them.
When you assume you make an ass out of u & me
That's hitting rock bottom.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/15/20 05:31 PM
When Blok gets spanked: Hitting rock bottom
Oh dear, I've taken a chip off the old Blok.
When Blok gets spanked: Hitting rock bottom

We really don't need to know about his and Mysa's kinks!
What about their Led Zepplin?
Blok is more of a Rolling Stone.
No moss on him.
I bet he knows how it feels to be without a home like a complete unknown.
I hope that doesn't erode his sense of self-worth.
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
I bet he knows how it feels to be without a home like a complete unknown.

The thought of Blok dancing the bump-and-grind once upon a time makes me laugh.
I hope he doesn't step on anybody's foot.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/17/20 04:57 PM
They could always join the science police. They are always looking for a flat foot.
If Tenzil's mouth were on his foot, would he need a gumshoe?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/17/20 09:28 PM
As Argh-yll!, the villainous sock, will tell you, the footwear of super characters is often, well, stepped upon. But a simple error in horseshoes could seriously affect Comet the Super Horse's ability to fight crime.
Perhaps the super--pets have to take stockinga of their weaknesses.
Time for a crossover with this thread!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/18/20 12:02 PM
Just the thread for me to post in... oh, I have....
Post-it Notes are very useful.
Liquid Paper, an office supply like Post-it notes, was invented by Bette Nesmith Graham. She is also the mother of Mike Nesmith of the Monkees.
Mike Nesmith was one of the first American enthusiasts of the music video form.
I know a Mike who lives in a village near Amsterdam. He likes having house parties. Well, liked; then he got a boyfriend and stopped, making gay men everywhere sad.
Mike Nesmith and Micky Dolenz are the two surviving Monkees. Peter Tork passed away last year. Davy Jones died back in 2012.
The Monkey King in Chinese legend was said to have a magical staff.
Old King Kong had a mighty big...bong. DoctorMayavale

angel
Ding dong, said King Kong!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/20/20 08:05 PM
The Monkey King in Chinese legend was said to have a magical staff.

Journey to the West was the basis for the Japanese TV show Monkey, which had a big following here.

A sci-fi anime version of it was called Starzinger. The toys from it eventually made their way to these shores. Not cheap, but I got one as a Christmas gift. They were demonstrating them, and I got to pick which one I wanted.
Nice! Always good to try it out before buying.
The joy of a toy!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/20/20 08:51 PM
I probably got to watch the lady fire the missiles out of it. The I got to point at it. If memory serves, I had seen it, and got taken off to look at other things. Then foolishly I was asked if I'd seen something I liked. Careless parental lapse in front of a child with no concept of currency. It can't have been stupidly expensive. But, then it *was* on display... (mental note to ask parents). There was that time I was asked what I wanted from a menu for lunch, and I ordered a steak, the most expensive thing on it...
Mmmmm...steak... drool
I haven't eaten beef since the '90s. I just don't like it. Eating a steak would not be pleasant for me, especially afterwards.
Well, I guess Rocky's post is my cosmic payback for the time Thoth said he was having potato waffles and I replied: puke
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/20/20 09:06 PM
I stopped eating red meat a couple of decades ago. I do still eat chicken. I defend this by saying that as birds are descended from the dinosaurs, I'm helping to prevent them ruling the Earth once again.
Mmmmm...chicken... drool
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/20/20 09:20 PM
Kid Carnivore stalks Legion World once again!
Mmm... chicken. With gravy. Or breaded. With ketchup. Grilled, with lemon and basil. In cream sauce. In soup. With pasta. With rice. With bulgur. Curried. In Adobo. Wrapped in pandan leaves. Fillets. Wings. In BBQ sauce.

So many great ways to cook chicken...
Kid Carnivore stalks Legion World once again!

LOL

I do have a reputation to live up to. CalorieQueen
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/20/20 11:31 PM
I make it easy on myself by having a reputation to live down to.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/21/20 12:51 AM
I learnt the other day that chickens were the most populous bird species in the world. Apparently as of 2018 there were 23.7 BILLION, up from "only" 14.38 billion in 2000. That's a lot of chickens!
Finger licking good! Good heavens!
Delicious *and* plentiful!
Chickens have been elevated to become one of the most important animal species to human society as we know it.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/21/20 11:46 AM
We'd have a better chance voting for them too.
Make fried chicken tasty again
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/21/20 08:47 PM
A concern with upcoming UK/US trade talks is an influx of chloronated chicken into our domestic market.
The comic book character Hothead Paisan has a cat named Chicken. Hothead is a homicidal lesbian terrorist.
Almost as intriguing as a Giant Robotic Lesbian.
I wonder which way Giganta swings?
Giganta being able to grow into a giant originated in Challenge of the Superfriends. Before that, she was a gorilla who was turned into a human.
Much as I love that animated version of Giganta, it's the iteration of Cheetah from the same show who's my favorite.

It didn't hurt that Cheetah's voice actress was Marlene Aragon, who went on to play Synergy on "Jem and the Holograms."
Originally Posted by Rockhopper Lad
Giganta being able to grow into a giant originated in Challenge of the Superfriends. Before that, she was a gorilla who was turned into a human.

And, to answer Fickles' question, kidnapping Steve Trevor for her mate was kind of her main thing back in the day.
hit Steve on the head and drag him over.
Probably my favorite post-Crisis retcon was Miss America taking Wonder Woman's place in the JSA. It was about as natural a fit as they could find. Having her marry an admiral named Derek Trevor gave Lyta Trevor her surname. It wasn't perfect, but it was a workable solution.
You know... if it hadn't been for All-Star Squadron making her prominent in a much different role, Liberty Belle would've made for a natural replacement.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/22/20 09:27 PM
I was hoping Madame Fatal would get the gig.
In Rocky & Bullwinkle, Natasha?s last name is Fatale.
The E after Fatal likely comes from French, which has gendered nouns - and therefore gendered adjectives as well.
My husband and I are studying Latin for fun. I have a basic knowledge of French and Spanish, which helps with vocabulary and, to an extent, gender. Having sung choral music for decades help also.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/24/20 01:56 AM
French kisses, I find, are appropriate for foreplay or for, uh, during the actual thing that foreplay is generally supposed to lead into (durplay?). I just don't see giving one's significant other one of those as a greeting or a typical parting gesture. But I could be wrong.... hmmm
Um... uh... yeah.

My man and I are both working long crazy hours now, so we French kiss during breaks to keep our spirits up.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/24/20 07:25 PM
Keeping spirits up was often a problem for Victorian spiritualists. Fortunately, with the use of wires and lots of starch on cloth, they managed to impress a lot of people with ghostly manifestations.
Tinya's flight ring also made it easy to keep her spirits up
Victor/Victoria starred Julie Andrews
Victor/Victoria starred Julie Andrews

My favorite character in that movie was Julie Andrews's rival for James Garner's affections. She was played in a delightfully over-the-top manner by Lesley Ann Warren.
I know a few over-the-top people who always do things to the max. One (admittedly, rich) friend always has a theme for his hosted birthdays... we did cabaret last year...
I did not do so this year, but most often I celebrate my birthday by renting a room at a karaoke bar. It's great fun. Last year for my fiftieth birthday, I asked guests to sing duets with me.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/25/20 07:27 PM
No one's made a big deal out of my birthday, really, since I've been an adult. I secretly wish my family had done something special for my 50th this year, though. shrug
I hope you at least got some durplay! wink
My aunt?s birthday is the day before mine. My brother?s is the day after mine. They wondered whose birthday I would be born on. I picked my own day. I also did not play favorites. I pick the day between their birthdays so I was equidistant from them both.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/26/20 01:57 AM
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
I hope you at least got some durplay! wink

Um, maybe? That was over six months ago, and my memory is also at least 50 years old... lol
Some rock music experts claim heavy metal was invented 50 years ago, with Black Sabbath's self-titled debut, Uriah Heep's "Very 'Eavy, Very 'Umble," and Deep Purple's "In Rock" all having been released that same year.
We should celebrate! 50 years is quite a milestone.
What about the Legion Worlders who don't like heavy metal?
they don't have to celebrate wink those who like it can celebrate in a soundproof building to keep from disturbing the rest.
Sounds like a plan. smile
I'll be in the Rookery listening to Ralph Vaughan Williams during that, thanks.
I'm going to be having a beer! Seems appropriate.
"Roll Over Vaughn Williams" is the first track on the first solo album of British folk rocker Richard Thompson.
Well, gonna write a little letter
Gonna mail it to my local DJ
It's a rockin' little record
I want my jockey to play
Roll over Beethoven
Gotta hear it again today
You know my temperature's risin'
And the jukebox's blows a fuse
My heart's beatin' rhythm
And my soul keeps singing the blues
Roll over Beethoven
And tell Tchaikovsky the news
I got a rockin' pneumonia
I need a shot of rhythm and blues (woo)
I think I got it off the writer
Sittin' down by the rhythm revue
Roll over Beethoven
We're rockin' in two by two
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/27/20 01:32 AM
^I like ELO's version of that song!
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/27/20 08:32 AM
ELO was a great fun band with a different sound I really liked.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/27/20 09:25 AM
The charge of the Electric Light Orchestra went about as well as the charge of the Light Brigade.
They kind of had to keep charging to keep working though.
In his first appearance Porky Pig recites the Midnight Ride of Paul Revere and switches to the Charge of the Light Brigade.
Bugs Bunny starred in an opera once. That was hilarious.
I really like the cartoon where Bugs Bunny performs "The Barber of Seville" onstage with Elmer Fudd.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/28/20 01:14 AM
It certainly paved the way for the even-more-classic "What's Opera, Doc?"
Mel Blanc loved to sing, especially opera. One doctor told him the only other person with such strong vocal chords was the legendary opera singer Enrico Caruso.
Goodness, what a legend Mel Blanc was. But his voice work was indeed amazing.

Reminds me of a video I saw by a guy who - despite not actually speaking languages - was able to give a convincing mimicry of how native speakers would say things in those languages. He did nearly a dozen. A few native speakers commented that it was very convincing too
In the original French movie that inspired the "Nikita" franchise, there's an early scene where some authority figures are speaking in French very softly, and then the main character -- who is borderline feral at this stage -- yells, "Nee-kee-TAH"

I used to parody that scene all the time, sometimes even in the company of people who had no idea what I was on about.
French is indeed a very soft-spoken-sounding language!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/28/20 10:28 PM
We can add Nee-Kee-Tah to the likes of Klordny and Nosferatu as things to say at Legion World parties.

I always liked Cor-Nee-Li-Yuss being pronounced in 5th Element for similar reasons.
I have told people to chant the phrase O Wah Tafu Li Am
And you need to say it loudly and faster each time.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/29/20 03:29 AM
STELLAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! lol
Kim Hunter won an Academy Award for her role in A Streetcar Named Desire. It was well-deserved, as she gave a Stella performance!
I had a boss named Stella once.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/29/20 02:10 PM
I had a co-worker named Stella. She's never seen or heard about Streetcar, so my reference fell flat. frown
Stella = stellar = star. I really appreciated this when I started learning other languages.

Dutch - ster
Spanish - estrella
Originally the Roman calendar had 10 months. The months of July & August were added to honor Julius Caesar & Augustus Caesar respectively. This is why September is the 9th month and not the 7th. October is the 10th month and not the 8th. November the 11 th month and not the 9th. And December is the 12 th month and not the 10th. Septem is Latin for 7, Octo is Latin for 8, novem is Latin for nine, and decem is Latin for 10.

Octopus- 8 arms, octagon - 8 sides, decimal - base 10, decade-10 years.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/30/20 12:48 AM
I think my favourite shape name is "dodecahedron" with do meaning 2 and deca meaning 10 referring to its 12 faces. The name just sort of rolls along. "Dodecahedron". Great name.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 09/30/20 03:30 AM
There's a song by System of a Down that has a refrain of, "we will fight the heathens!" It amuses me to alter it to "we're dodecahedrons!" (I purposely alter lyrics strictly for my own amusement all the time.)
Sometimes I do that too, usually when my new man and I are being funny with each other. We have the same sense of humor smile a big part of the reason for our success. Granted, we've only been a couple for 6 months and dating for 8 in total...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 10/01/20 04:15 AM
The Shining Trapezohedron was an artefact in both a Lovecraft story and in a sequel by Robert Bloch.
The dodecahedron is the only one of the five Platonic solids not associated with one of the four classical elements.
"Water. Earth. Fire. Air. My grandmother used to tell me stories about the old days, a time of peace when the Avatar kept balance between the Water Tribes, Earth Kingdom, Fire Nation, and Air Nomads. But that all changed when the Fire Nation attacked. Only the Avatar mastered all four elements. Only he could stop the ruthless firebenders. But when the world needed him most, he vanished. A hundred years have passed and the Fire Nation is nearing victory in the War. Two years ago, my father and the men of my tribe journeyed to the Earth Kingdom to help fight against the Fire Nation, leaving me and my brother to look after our tribe. Some people believe that the Avatar was never reborn into the Air Nomads, and that the cycle is broken. But I haven't lost hope. I still believe that somehow, the Avatar will return to save the world."
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 10/01/20 05:22 PM
Love that show and Legend of Korra!
me too! they were so good I almost skipped college final exams for them.
I am about to watch Korra. It is waiting for me at the library.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 10/02/20 02:44 AM
The Fantastic Four of course are based on the Four Elements, rocky Thing, firey Human Torch, Invisible Girl as transparent as air and Mr Fantastic who can "flow" like water.
Invisible Woman sure got a massive power upgrade, though!
I am about to watch Korra. It is waiting for me at the library.

Korra Blimey
Corazon means heart in Spanish
Heart means heart in English
"Heart:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUwod4oJZuY
How di I get you Aloooooooooone
Hearing Ann Wilson over-emote makes me wanna be alone, in peace and quiet.

The only Heart song I like is "These Dreams"...and that's because Ann's sister Nancy does the lead vocal.
I like that one too.

Coming from the Philippines, we are used to over-emoting during karaoke...
I bought a karaoke microphone for use at home. I miss karaoke.
Sometimes I will sing aloud by myself. I have maybe 20 songs that I really love. My friend has us over for dinner last month, we got nicely drunk and passed the iPad around, each choosing 2-3 songs at a time. It was great!
I have never been drunk. I don?t drink alcohol. I had a sip of beer once.

I never had the desire to drink.
I used to use it to cope with negative emotions.

Now I do it for fun and social purposes smile
I can't handle drinking alcohol.

One glass of wine and my legs turn to rubber.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 10/04/20 01:09 AM
Never been much of a drinker myself, these days not at all. I remember well years ago when I had and enjoyed a large cider and my wife (then girlfriend) warned me that although I felt fine and unaffected now I might feel different when I got outside. She was right. Still I enjoy being around others when they are enjoying a drink.
When I worked at the bank I would go out with the others after work. Friday?s the office closed at 8. I would just have sodas.
In Japan and in South Korea, there is more pressure to do that with your co-workers.

A Taiwanese working in Japan told me that she would excuse herself by pretending she lived an hour away from the office... in reality she lived one block away. She just got exhausted at having to go drinking and karaoke singing with her co-workers night after night after night.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 10/05/20 03:43 AM
When I met up with Exnihil, Legion Tracker, Rickshaw & Mrs. Rickshaw, I drank Diet Coke while they all partook of beverages with alcohol.
When I met up with Quis and jasposey, we had Boston Clam Chowder and tons of other goodies!
The secret to getting canned clam chowder done right is to constantly stir it over low heat.
I buy liquid soups in plastic bags.
The only soup I eat is chicken noodle. Well also the turkey noodle soup my mom made after Thanksgiving.
my man and I are easy. But he has a weakness for Dutch-style tomato soup with meatballs.

I love those too. And chicken soup. And mushroom soup.
I adore mushrooms!

(Ahem. The cooked sort, not the ones that give people hallucinations.)
I made a mushroom / bell pepper omelet for lunch smile
Mmmm...bell peppers... drool
When I was in Perth I rang some old church bells
Did you wake up Frere Jacques?
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 10/07/20 05:21 AM
Love capsicums (what we call bell peppers over here) and put them in lots of different meals.
My man and I put them in almost everything we make too!
I am not a cook.
I am not a cook.

Whatever you say, Mr. Nixon. grin
I am imagining Quislet imitating Richard Nixon when he says that.
In MAD Magazine's parody of the TV show "Dallas," J.R. Ewing morphs into Richard Nixon.
Ahhhh no no no!
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 10/08/20 11:43 PM
In the Doctor Who episode "Day of the Moon" President Richard Nixon asks the Doctor:

"Doctor ... will I be remembered?"

"Oh Tricky Dicky, they never forget you!"
Nixon is no longer the worst US president.
Roger Stone, close ally of Donald Trump and convicted felon, has Nixon's face tattooed on his back.
I loathe 45. I am totally ridin' with Biden.
Originally Posted by Rockhopper Lad
I loathe 45. I am totally ridin' with Biden.

Me, too, Rocky!

Biden for 46. Everything he will fix!
I don't even live in the USA, and I'm also rooting for Biden!
Ibby, I expect most non-US residents are.
I am not that impressed with Biden but I will be voting for him. Heck I would vote for Nixon over Trump even though Nixon is dead.
I completely agree.
Agree is the brand name of an American-made deodorant.
The last deodorant I bought made my underarms itchy. So I stopped using it.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 10/11/20 04:20 AM
....ummmmmm....that could be read two ways....... gasp
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 10/11/20 08:44 AM
People underestimate the Power of Polecat!
"Beeeeeee-Oh."
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 10/11/20 01:44 PM
Oh what a beeeeeee-oh-you-tih-full morning, oh what a beeeeeee-oh-you-tih-full day...
"No, no, no, I asked what's the ORDER of the day, not the ODOR of the day!"
That reminds me of the Pepe Le Pew cartoons. When I started to learn French, I was very upset by the pseudo-French used in them. Of course, the best use ever of faux French was by Flight of the Conchords.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 10/11/20 11:03 PM
Gerard Depardieu would have been the ideal person to play Groo.
Gerard Depardieu would have been the ideal person to play Groo.

It would have complimented his many performances as Obelix in the movies based on the Asterix albums; Obelix and Groo are kind of like the light and dark halves of the same archetype.
Yin and yang is the Chinese concept of opposite forces, such as light and darkness, being complementary.
Don't get me started on feng shui.
Don't get me started on feng shui.

I think there's some value to it. Architecture and interior decoration do have a degree of cosmic significance, in my opinion at least. shrug
I'm surprised there wasn't a Yellow Peril villain named "Fang Shui".
Fang Shui would have cracked Egg Fu like an... egg
Maybe the older Egg Fu, but not Egg Fu Young.
Speaking of racist Asian stereotypes, I read the first 2 Buck Rogers novelettes. The racism is so obvious.
There was a comic strip by Tak Toyoshima that cleverly satirized Asian stereotypes and the pressure to assimilate. It was titled "Secret Asian Man."
I?ve seen it I love his drawing style.
i like his comics! He had one poking fun at how Asian men have trouble growing beards smile
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 10/14/20 08:42 PM
As I'm not seeing too many new comics of interest, this could be one to look into.
I'm spending quite a bit of time doing Buzzfeed quizzes these days. mindless, helps rest my brain from all the overtime.
I relax my mind by doing cross-sum puzzles before going to sleep
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 10/14/20 11:18 PM
I enjoy puzzles so regularly visit brainbashers.com which has quite an assortment.
I sometimes play quizzes on sporcle.com
Quizmaster
I remembered the Sportsmaster and the Cluemaster all of a sudden.
I remembered the Sportsmaster and the Cluemaster all of a sudden.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 10/15/20 08:17 PM
there was the Riddler too, to keep Bats entertained before there were online quiz sites.
No threat of cyber-attacks if the Riddler gives you the riddles face to face!
The riddle of the Sphinx is what creature walks on four legs in the morning, two legs at noon, and three legs in the evening?

The answer is man.
It was Oedipus who guessed it, if I am right.
Clothes of brass and hair of brown
Seldom need to breathe
Don't need no wings to fly
And a heart of stone
A fear of fire and water
Who am I?

is the Lurker Riddle from "Dodo/Lurker" by Genesis.

Officially, it has no answer, but conventional wisdom is that the answer is
a submarine
Makes sense! except for the hair is brown part, don't quite get it
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 10/16/20 09:16 AM
We all live in a aquaphobic submarine.
Maybe that's why the hair is like that.
Hair toss
Check my nails
Baby how you feelin'?
Feeling good as hell
Makes sense! except for the hair is brown part, don't quite get it

It's seaweed hanging off the sub.
ah! nice, thanks EDE!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 10/17/20 11:03 AM
It's often thought that the myths of mermaids have their origins in sailors thinking they saw beautiful maidens on the rocks, when in fact they were wrecked time travelling submarines.
Such soft brown hair they have.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 10/17/20 02:40 PM
Who can forget the eerie comedy of 1956's I Married An Atomic Submarine?
Sure! You could marry an atomic submarine before you could marry a same sex partner.
In 1966, you could buy a war surplus pre-atomic submarine from the Navy without even leaving your full address. Or so I heard from a chap named P. N. Guin.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 10/18/20 09:21 AM
My mate does submarine tours around Ireland in the one they sold cheaply to him. Look for Mr. T O'Rpedo Tours if you're visiting.
I don't think I've ever ridden in a submarine. I did explore one at a museum, though.
I used to crack up at the old ads for the National Geographic Channel -- "EXPLORE. YOUR. WORLD."
I had a very romanticized view of explorers when I was younger.
A lot of us did. Columbus was particularly held up as a hero. It's only been the last few decades that most people in the United States were confronted with what a monster he was.
Sally Brown thought Columbus Day was the explorer's actual name! LOL lol
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 10/18/20 11:36 PM
No to mention how Columbus "succeeded" only because he was wrong. (Contemporary wisdom was that the world was round and about the size we know it today. Columbus was convinced it was much smaller so sailing west he would find a shortcut to Asia and the Indies. Whoops.)
One of the more interesting historical speculations is the Ferdinand and Isabella actually knew that Columbus was wrong, but also knew about the existence of the Americas from various pre-Columbian travelers, so funded Columbus on that basis.
Behind his back, Columbus's crew called him "Wrongway Chris."

Fun fact: In one of the classic Bugs Bunny cartoons, his nemesis du jour is none other than Columbus, whom Bugs, true to form, insists on calling "Chris." lol
Both Tommy Tomorrow and Chris KL-99 were known as "the Columbus of Space" back in the day.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 10/19/20 06:03 PM
Everyone else already knew their way around the galaxy when those two discoverers showed up.
The more you have 20th century Earth heroes running around the galaxy, the less sense those two make.
Heck, anyone who could pay could do that by hiring Space Cabbie
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 10/19/20 09:10 PM
Space Cabbie's eyes light up when Tommy Tomorrow appears with a ragged map full of places Cabbie already knows. Of course, his cabbie nature ensures that, even on a pan galactic expedition, he adds plenty of extra distance between locations to hike up his fare.
Nowadays Tommy Tomorrow uses Space Uber rather than Space Cabbie
Uber is blocked in some parsecs / space sectors though, so he has to use GrabeSpaceShuttle there
When I were a lass living in Quito, you could get to just about any important place on foot, especially if you lived near Avenida Amazonas.

I feel so nostalgic right now... sigh
that's one thing i love about my new life here in Europe. it's so easy to get around. Back home in Manila, i would need 90 minutes to travel 7 kilometers...
When I visited my cousins in Poland we got caught in some traffic coming from Warsaw to Ł?dź. The people in this town were protesting that their town was being made part of Ł?dź. So a mass of them were crossing the road and thus blocking cars from going. Periodically they would let some cars pass through.

It made our trip a little longer but I thought it was cool.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 10/21/20 05:02 AM
When I was a child and we were holidaying in Queensland, we were driving past sugarcane fields for ages. Mum and Dad stopped the car and told me to hop out and pick up a piece off the ground to show my friends at school. Then we came to a quarantine checkpoint. It seemed there was a pest/disease in the sugarcane that they were trying to isolate so we had to hand over the piece. A bit further down the road we stopped to get another piece only to come to another checkpoint. We did this a few times until we gave up. Of course after that point we never saw another checkpoint and the sugarcane fields ended so we could have succeeded.
In some countries you could have just paid a bribe... smile
When I was little, I thought "bribery" was pronounced like "shrubbery."

First place I saw the word, btw, was in the comic strip "Peanuts."
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 10/21/20 07:21 PM
Thanks to a typo in a RPG book, I didn't spell business correctly for a while, when I was a kid.
For a second I though you said RBG (Ruth Bader Ginsburg) had a typo.
Posted By: stile86 Re: Kill This Thread XXX - Luornu's Thing - 10/21/20 11:53 PM
Annie either you pronounce bribery different to me or shrubbery different to me. I pronounce them as "bry - ber - ree" and "shrub - ber - ree".
Perhaps the Knights who say "Ni" just wanted a bribe to pass through their forest...
A little flask of ale or mead never hurt anyone.

Unless it falls on their pinky toe.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
"Bottle" is slang for "Courage" in certain parts of England.

The Pretenders' "Brass in Pocket" uses "bottle" in that sense -- "Got bottle, I'm gonna use it."

'Course, it's hard to tell what Chrissie Hynde's singing, because she hated the song so much that she deliberately did a bad vocal on it.
Kind of like how Mike Grell purposely made Tyroc's costume ridiculous, in protest of the terribly bad character origin written for him!
LOL Yeah, not to mention how Tyroc seemingly had every power in the universe at his disposal, with no firm boundaries or limitations or weaknesses. And people wonder why creators tended to neglect him?
Characters that can do everything are super hard to write.

I always admired how White Witch got some realistic limitations that made her a better team player / easier to write.
I adore Mysa.

Especially when our fellow Legion Worlder, Harbinger, writes her.
I like Mysa too. But even with the limitations put on her (She could only memorize a set number of spells) she still had a deus ex machina power
I also love Harbi writing Mysa. Heck, Harbi can write any character well.

Quis, I do agree - she had limitations, but the limitations were such they could easily be twisted to fit any story. "Oh well I just happened to prepare this sort of spell for a situation like this!" "Oh dear, we're in trouble because I did not prepare properly."

I do think Levitz did it very well, though.
I think the real advantage is that you have a convenient excuse for Mysa not immediately solving every problem. And she could still be used to solve a problem when needed, often in a more creative way since you have to explain why she happened to have the necessary spell ready.
Yes, exactly. A very clever bit of writing there.
I believe Ibby is the winner this go-round.
Goodness! I have actually killed something again!
© Legion World