Legion World
Welcome to......

Kill This Thread XXXVI

The following rules were established by Kent Shakespeare at the start of the first 24-hour version, adapted from the original rules by EDE:

The rules:

1. The Basic Idea: Post to this thread, if no one posts after you for 24 hours, you win!

2. Posts that are not direct responses to one of the five preceding posts are ineligible to win. The topic can drift, but no complete non-sequitors. Posts that are responses to non-sequitors are also ineligible to win. Posts that are responses to responses to non-sequitors, and response nses to those posts, etc., become eligible, however.

3. In the event that this thread is locked, there shall be no winner unless a new thread is started for the contest. Furthermore, any post that results in the banning of the poster shall also be ineligible to win.

4. So, more precisely, one wins if one makes a post, and then no one makes another post that's eligible to win for 24 hours.

Here's a history of our various felons, along with a few missed opportunities.....

I - walkwithcrowds (7-day version)
II - none
III - none
IV - Quislet, Esq
V - Rockhopper Lad (the first 24-hour version)
VI - Rockhopper Lad
VII - cleome
VIII - Rockhopper Lad
IX - Rockhopper Lad
X - none
XI - none
XII - none
XIII - Invisible Brainiac
XIV - Invisible Brainiac
XV - Invisible Brainiac
XVI - Invisible Brainiac
XVII - Invisible Brainiac
XVIII - cleome
XIX - cleome
XX - cleome
XXI - Jfposey
XXII - Invisible Brainiac
XXIII - jfposey
XIV - Invisible Brainiac
XV - PALADIN (eff YEAH!!!)
XVI- Quislet, Esq.
XVII - Invisible Brainiac
XVIII - none
XIX - none
XX - Quislet, Esq.
XXI - thoth lad
XXII - Ann Hebistand
XXIII - Quislet, Esq.
XXIV - Invisible Brainiac
XXV - Invisible Brainiac
XXVI - Quislet, Esq.
XXVII - thoth lad
XXVIII - Quislet, Esq.
XXIX - Eryk Davis Ester
XXX - Invisible Brainiac
XXXI - Invisible Brainiac
XXXII - Ann Hebistand
XXXIII - Invisible Brainiac
XXXIV - Invisible Brainiac
XXXV - none
XXXVI - thoth lad
Numbers is my favorite member of Excalibur's enemies, the Technet.
Numbers is a Bible book from the Old Testament
Moore's version of the Technet offered some interesting personalities and ideas, that didn't quite come across in the more fun Claremont version. Whichever version was on safe ground when drawn by Alan Davis.
Technet always makes me think of the IT resource that I would use back in the day when we had to handle all kinds of IT issues.
I just got a new backup disc for my computer. But it's only causing me more frustration as I now have to figure out what to delete off the main computer to free up more space.

Of course, the items which hog the most space are things I've never used and which can't be safely removed.

The people who designed this system need to be slapped hard. I mean. I'm an artist and a music-lover. As far as I can tell, the only outcome is that I can't have any of that on the main computer anymore, even though I use it all the time. No. The computer is the place to house a bunch of gluttonous, arcane junk which I never wanted, understood, or used but am forced to host for the remaining life of this thing. The things I actually want are basically humored and forced to live exclusively as backup.

And the next computer will probably be worse in that regard. Not to mention more expensive.

scream
My phone before last had most of its memory taken up by its operating system and apps I couldn't easily move to expansion card. I ended up getting another one about a year later.
I made the mistake of changing my old phone too late - it died in the middle of me trying to sync my data to my new phone. ah well! I lost very little at least
It's good policy to back up your backup.
The only good policy I need right now is someone to do a custom computer-build for me.

And they should like being paid in plastic bread ties, instead of money.
Bread ties are useful for tidying up all those PC cables. Handy payment for a computer person.
That's a great reuse of bread ties! A while ago I bought a big pack of zip ties for a few projects and that was one of the uses for those.
I was using a couple of them to secure garden lights last week.
I think I have been missing out on bread ties
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
I think I have been missing out on bread ties

That means you're fit to be tied. smile
I am tied to my man tongue
I was trying to figure which of the thing holding together my bread or the thing holding my cables together was better. But it ended up being a tie.
A tie of ties
Just like that time when we couldn't decide which of two local pencillers was the better artist. It ended up a draw.
We certainly checked that none of the votes were erased
It would have been back to the drawing board for the loser.
Thoth has been on a tear lately!

Not that he's tearing things. I mean he might be, but that's honestly none of my business...
Can't he just pop bubble wrap ? it's so much more calm
Pink bubble wrap is, as all sentients know, a Legion World tradition

http://www.legionworld.net/forums/u...;Words=bubble&Search=true#Post141499
Alas poor Kole... *sob*
Too soon of me to post that?
Too soon doesn't exist for this thread.
How soon is now

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh2zp
If you ask my Peruvian friend, "now" could mean anything from "literally right now" to "I've thought about doing it and will do it some day when I am in the mood and not busy with other stuff"
Yup. My timetable may not be the same as everyone else's.
If you ask my Peruvian friend, "now" could mean anything from "literally right now" to "I've thought about doing it and will do it some day when I am in the mood and not busy with other stuff"

Yes, the definition of "on time" DEFINITELY varies by culture! laugh
I find that those who demand things, are the ones that somehow slip down my priority list.
For me its when you tell someone to be ready by x:00 to go somewhere and they are late, as it shows they don't value anyone else's time but their own.
I blame comics. They transition from scene to scene seamlessly. So I don't have a proper grasp of the time taken to travel between the two. smile
The boring stuff tends to pass by pretty fast in comic book world wink
Although I've read a lot of boring books from the Big 2 over recent decades.
There have been a few issues I just could not finish.
I gave all of the books in new 52 a shot. A number of them didn't make it more than a dozen pages in the shop. Some terrible quality in that relaunch. That would be the last time I bothered much with DC. The umpteen relaunches since, sort of confirms my thoughts on the quality then and since.
I also find the large number of Crises (including ones that tried to pass themselves off as not-Crises by using other names: see: Dark Nights Metal and Death Metal) mind-boggling. every big event is a Crisis again it seems
Crisis of Infinite Crises.
How long before we see that as the actual event title? Not long I expect.
It will happen one day, considering how many Crisis-related stories there are
Crisis of Plummeting Sales seems to be more DC's line.
I haven’t ever looked at the sales figures myself smile might be more distressing than watching beloved characters die (again)
Apart from a little golden period of promise under Kahn and Levitz, with Wein involved in a lot of good things, I don't think they progressed from trying to figure out why putting a gorilla on thre cover boosted sales.
Gorillas make everything better.

ok, most things.

um... some things.
Gorillas and go-go checks is a sure fire winner.
Originally Posted by thoth lad
Apart from a little golden period of promise under Kahn and Levitz, with Wein involved in a lot of good things, I don't think they progressed from trying to figure out why putting a gorilla on thre cover boosted sales.

Then they should put a gorilla on every cover! smile
DCNuZoo presents.... Grodd Monthly, Tales from Gorilla City, Angel and the Ape, Detective Comics starring Detective Chimp, Monkey Prince, Action Comics featuring Congorilla, Flash Comics starring Go-Go Gorilla, The Fury of Titano, DC Revolution with Monsieur Che Mallah and Ultra Humanite Vs the JSA.
Magilla Gorilla, or I'm walking.
I read the Nightwing / Magilla crossover. Nice murder mystery!
A lot the appeal of Magilla and the rest of the classic 1950s and 1960s Hanna Barbera characters had to do with the work of the studio's chief designer, Iwao Takamoto. The basic look of the characters is Takamoto's own style.

Unlike a lot of unsung heroes of animation, Takamoto was well compensated. He eventually became a Hanna Barbera executive and stayed there for the rest of his life.
Good for him, glad his value was recognized!
That makes a nice change from the stories of lots of other creators.
Indeed - Its sounds like one of the few happy endings for creators of that era that doesn't involve massive amounts of backstabbing and abuse.
Megillah is Yiddish slang for a long and convoluted story.
That is an extremely useful word these days. not just in comics, but for my boring acquaintances who think I am their personal journal
Just the facts ma'am, I want to say to some people. Oddly, the ones with little time for others, are amongst the worst for yakking on.
My man has a colleague who always complains about how busy she is... but she spends more time complaining than actually doing anything
Of course, it's important to avoid the trap of spending ages complaining about complainers.
I'm gonna screenshot this and post it on the other forums I am on wink the debate usually leads to this point anyway, and after that we usually have at least 2 people dramatically announcing they will leave forever!
Members of the Fantastic Four used to consider quitting, or actually did so, on a regular basis.
The Avengers, too!

One thing I loved about the Legion was its relative stability, few members left and we generally kept adding more. (well, until late V3 and basically whole of V4...)
I should get a special badge for people who've left forever the most number of times. angel
Maybe one of those Starbucks-type stamp cards. "Ah, this is your 12th public tantrum - here, have a free goodbye cupcake on us!"
The Avengers, too!

One thing I loved about the Legion was its relative stability, few members left and we generally kept adding more. (well, until late V3 and basically whole of V4...)

The Legion generally expelled members and made them take the walk of shame, rather than allow them to quit.

Originally Posted by cleome55
I should get a special badge for people who've left forever the most number of times. angel

There must be 50 ways to leave at least...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ABXtWqmArUU
Maybe one of those Starbucks-type stamp cards. "Ah, this is your 12th public tantrum - here, have a free goodbye cupcake on us!"

HAH! You beat me to this - I was thinking of something similar! laugh

I have it on good confidence that slipping out the back is the first option.
Originally Posted by Gaseous Lad

I have it on good confidence that slipping out the back is the first option.

From the rejected threads, thread...

The "50 Ways To Leave Legion World" thread

band

Get on your bike, Myke
You just run a mile, Lyle
Some partners are just too broken to keep, Reep
Just get yourself free

Just drive off in your hover car, Lar
Don't put on that brake, Drake
Split at the Interplanetary zoo, Lu
And get yourself free
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSBFehvLJDc
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YWLG7OQCuFo
I *almost* got those high notes when I karaoke'd "Leaving Las Vegas."

It was genius to make the karaoke rooms smaller. Sure, you have to stumble over people's feet, but projecting sound in a space the size of one's own room at home is *super* easy!
It's like that in my building. 6 of the apartments share a small corner... we are well-protected from noise coming from elsewhere, but if one of us makes a racket we all 6 hear it double
I live close to a river. Loud noises can reverberate down it. There are hills too, so you get some odd acoustics.
I *almost* got those high notes when I karaoke'd "Leaving Las Vegas."

I'm sure you came closer than Sheryl Crow ever has. tongue angel
The sad part was that I couldn't get Eminem's "Shake Dat Ass" because someone else had already called dibs on it. Stiletta
People sure get territorial over karaoke songs

no %()#()#@, a lot of Filipinos have died because they dared sing "My Way"

https://www.esquiremag.ph/culture/m...no-karaoke-killings-a00304-20191017-lfrm
I can easily imagine a lot of deaths from poorly sung Karaoke songs. But then, I just go out for the beer and the chat.
lol

I was just having a bit of fun. Most of our karaoke partners that day were 10-15 years younger than mr_cleome and me. Which means I was hearing plenty of them for the first time, including that particular Eminem, uh... masterwork.
Karaoke is best with a small group of close friends, with whom you have enough history that they would think thrice about pulling a gun on you smile
Although a Karaoke night at the local gun club is asking for trouble.
Maybe they can have karaoke night at the axe-throwing club instead
Medieval Karaoke!

Put away your troubles about pestilence, war and money and.... hmmm...could be Karaoke now...
I really like a lot of the "Bardcore" Medieval-style covers of 20th and 21st century songs which pop up on YouTube. Of course, a lot of the originals from after, say, 1005 aren't well-known to me. I should set aside a day to learn about those.
I've only come across it in passing. I'll need to take a closer look too.
Thanks for introducing this concept to me, I think I will take a look too!
There's a rich history of folk music, and stories that should get more exposure. They are often clearer windows into the past than whatever official line is trotted out in the history books. At the very least, they offer insights to challenge views and appreciate previous generations.
Hee hee!

https://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1001967&page=1
The trouble with us all appearing on this board from different timelines, is never knowing whether we've already discussed something in my past, or whether I'm going to be contributing from my future, but get to read it before I've made the post.
Some of us might be from other universes too...
Some of them better than this one, I'd hope. But there are plenty of worse ones too.
That's a comforting thought for when I can't sleep wink
I realized a long time ago I live in a world of my own devising.
Not necessarily a bad thing to do.
Trapped in a world he never made was the cover text on Howard the Duck.
Poor Howard, none of it is his fault!
Why did the duck cross the road?
Because continuity demanded it!
-Trapped in a comic he didn't make either.
He also tried to get to the other side of the comic
Had you heard how Howard's creator "may" have stolen him from Marvel and dumped him in another universe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVmDhC6lP7E
I feel like Destroyer Duck happened over at Eclipse or another independent label many years before Image existed. My attention started to stray about thirty seconds into this video because it bugs me when people call themselves students of history but get something that basic wrong almost immediately.
Thanks Cleome. I'll pass on student of history.
I'll have at least some issues of Destroyer Duck. One of them had the first appearance of Groo.
DD

Donald Duck
Darkwing Duck
Destroyer Duck
Not being a big cartoon follower, I took the destroyer bit to be some sort of nod to its fight against a Marvel stand in company. I think there's a cover with a heavily armed Destroyer Duck. At the time, I doubt I even made that connection. My dad would have got this one, and only for the Groo. Never crossed my mind about it reflecting the initials of Donald.
In their prime, the Muppets did a wicked satirical sketch involving one-shot characters "Ronald Duck" and "Mickey Moose." But much later, in a horrible irony, Disney ended up owning the Muppets. sigh
Ronald Duck. First republican mallard to win the presidency.
Hé had quite a beak on him. Always making a squawk
Speaking of squwaking birds in politics...

https://thegabber.com/chicken-enters-race-for-gulfports-pet-mayor/
Destroyer Duck did first appear in Eclipse comics in 1982 and was created by Steve Gerber to help fund his lawsuit against Marvel to try to get the rights to Howard the Duck. Several other comic creators contributed to the comic in support including Sergio with the first appearance of Groo.

This is indeed a slipup by Scott in the video (he even shows an pic of the Eclipse comic immediately after mentioning Image). This is unusual for Scott who is generally careful with his sources and he has improved over the years since 2014 when this video was first posted. What he goes on with from there fits with the rest of what others have reported, moving the story on "years pass" to when Gerber was working for Image. He was creating a crossover comic between Destroyer Duck and Savage Dragon at the same time he had been invited to write a crossover for Marvel between Spider-Man and Howard the Duck. The idea came up to make it an even bigger unofficial crossover with both the Image team and the Marvel team meeting up in the same adventure. The characters from the other company appear as shadowy figures in the other comic and the fight (with other villains) proceeds in both the same way just from different perspectives.

In the fight Destroyer and Howard bump into each other surprised to see another duck, which inspires the villain to create hundreds of ducks and in the chaos that ensues, in the Marvel comic Spider-Man runs off with Howard under his arm. In the Image comic Destroyer Duck grabs one of the multitude saying he has the REAL one and that the other was just a clone. The duck accompanying Savage Dragon and Destroyer Duck is placed in witness protection, dies his feather green and takes the name of Leonard the Duck. The strong implication is that Leonard is the real Howard and every appearance of Howard the Duck in Marvel since that time has been a clone. The story has been reported by various sources. In 2015 one of the Marvel writers actually stated that the Howard he was writing was a clone.
thanks for the write-up, stile! fascinating, and super cool that Howard and Destroyer actually met
Marvel sure does love its cloned superheroes. wink
And its telepaths

And especially its cloned telepaths
I picked up an issue of a series called Telepaths. Not read it yet though. A sort of what would happen if there was an event that left a number of people with psychic powers.
Everyone hears everybody else's nasty thoughts, and big brawls happen all the time!

or everyone starts dressing up like Emma Frost, that could happen too
I was surprised that Emma Frost's secondary mutation ( >cough< over powered Mary Sue) was a diamond form ( ripping off Diamondeth). I thought it would be telekinesis, used to keep her unlikely costume in place.
I could never understand why Psyche needed to be a Norse guide to Valhalla or whatever that whole extra layer of stuff was. She was already cool and interesting with just the projection powers and archery.
Ah Dani, what could have (not) been
I love Dani, but, yeah, the Valkyrie thing was a bit much. Typical Claremont, really, never knowing when to leave well enough alone.
Sometimes understated is key wink

I'm also someone who tends to start disliking a character if they get pushed too much. not always enough to hate them, but to feel all blah about them
Except Gold Lantern who has this exceptional origin you just won't believe, offsetting the panel hogging.
I'd love to hear it one day. wink
I’ve set my calendar for 100 years from now, so I can read the last panel of his amazing origin!
Crumbs! You're optimistic about how quickly it's going to be revealed. There's a lot of decompressed Bendis conversations, splash pages with the whole group and scheduling delays to get in.
He does keep his artists busy. Nearly every panel contains crammed shots of the whole Legion after all!
The only one will who ever know Gold Lantern's origin will be the Time Trapper.

And Justice League vs Legion #6 still won't have been published by then!
But we will have been teased about the issue for millenia by that time!
I heard Professor Ivo, General Immortus, Vandal Savage and the Immortal Man all got their powers as a way of getting to read the whole saga as it was published.
Oh, now we just have to do the same, and we too will achieve immortality!
I was listening to a podcast, wher the central character's life turns out to be a construct following his release from cryogenic suspension.
If you just change construct to contest, you get a good description of these threads.
The Kill This Thread Century Edition, where we all set the timers on our pods and hope for the best.
The "Guess Which Earth Gets Killed First", which the Monitors and Anti-Monitors and all those big bad universe-breaking characters DC creates every Crisis, place bets on which of the 520000 universes will be consumed by anti-matter / eternal darkness first!
If I use the random number generator online it tells me Earth 447435 is next to go.
gasp! that's the Earth where Batman got a Blue Lantern ring, and Robin is a talking giant anthropomorphic Robin!
If I use the random number generator online it tells me Earth 447435 is next to go.

Typical. There goes my holiday in a cloud of anti matter.
We should try to be more positive. Think, for example, of how the Legion movie could've been handed off to the creative team which gave us *Cats*. But it wasn't!!
Catspaw meets...

[Linked Image from supermanica.superman.nu]
Those look like incredibly sinister kitties! even though they are supposed to be the good guys
I think that must be the Earth where Fat Cramer ran the Suicide Squad instead of Amanda Waller!! ElasticLad
Only suicide for anyone who went up against them.
Fat Cramer alone could squash most of the opposition!
...And now I'm reminded how this house just ain't no home without El Sid. We have to board him at a cat hotel for several days while our roof gets its long-overdue replacement. shake
aww. El Sid (hopefully) gets enough pampering that he won't miss you too much!
Poor El Sid. If only there was a way to tell them that it was only for a week, and that they were just as loved.
It's very luxurious. There's even air conditioning, which is more than we've got at home. lol
It's not a good look, when your cat has their claws digging into each side of the cattery door, wanting to stay there. smile
It's tough competing with air-conditioning!
Lucky for us, the temperature is dropping back to normal now, after about four days. Most of June was very cool and rainy. A throwback to the early summers of 20-30 years ago.
Rained here all week. Typical summer.
I don't mind some nice cooling rain smile
I'm happy to be out away from a desk. Rain's fine by me. Although I did realise yesterday that my shoe was letting in water.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3gasxv
Poor little shoe. Least it had a bath
I ordered new orthopedic shoes at the beginning of the month. I hope the new ones get here before year's end.

Friday evening, El Sid will return. Gonna' be a long two days.
Almost there, almost there smile Streaky
I'm giving some leftovers from my cat to a possible stray. Sadly, the two have met, and despise each other. Just once, it would be nice if two of them could get along.
My couple friend here had that. They had a house cat, and were also feeding a stray. The house cat would chase the stray away.

Their house cat died (after a ripe old age) recently... the very next day the stray came over, and they adopted it.
That sounds like situations in life where you have really good friends in separate circles, and when you try to bring everyone together for a fun time, they all hate each other. laugh
My Legion World pals must never meet my Avengers World pals, or the multiverse will collapse! But mainly, the squabbling...
Maybe if the multiverse had enough annual inspections for a structure its size... shake
Some kind of Monitor-ing system would seem wise. Crisis was basically a squabble between two space janitors over how the place should look.
They also need to do some quality control re some of those awful universes that keep popping up
I'm not sure quality control has been a strong suit for a while. I might be reading some of their books if it was.
"Quality Control" by Jurassic 5 is still always a great listen, though.

Never gets old.

band Tyroc
thanks for the recommendation smile

I have a playlist of about 20 songs which I consider my personal classics. Never get old
I generally trip across music, rather than have playlists. But then music's very much an ad hoc thing for me. I'll have a news station on more often than not.
variety and all that
There must be loads of genres, never mind songs, that have passed me by.
What I do every few weeks via Apple Music is to listen to one of the Apple curated channels and I'll snag stuff I like and put it on my generic playlist. Some weeks are better than others.
I should get into the habit of something like that, GL. I used to like HWW's top 40s on here. A good excuse to dig out all the ones I'd never heard of.
We had a number of good music links here long ago. Too bad they got munched, and now they can't be reconstructed because the song and/or artist names were *only* on the videos themselves.

Such is the way of all internet flesh, or something. : /
we're going through an IT migration now at work... it left my calendar about two weeks outdated...
We're losing Skype and WebEx for teams, which is disappointingly clunky.
I fought against the Teams migration tooth and nail about 5 years ago. Now I can't live without it, but it took me a bit to understand how to do sharing and some other things. A lot depends on how the IT staff gets trained on how to light up certain features (or if you're org will allow them), so I'm sure that will get better over time.
Indeed, it's a learning process, and if IT is supportive and responsive it will help a lot
We have an unhelpful desk, to deal with all IT requests.
I imagine the Desk is a bit Wooden in its replies.
We're tabling a motion to have it changed.
Hope someone sits them down and tells them like it is
Yes... if they want something to play with, they should go and buy themselves a toy
Your time is too expensive, and you are not their little boy...

Tyroc band
No, I am a grown man!
Are we not men?
No! We are Devo!
We are fabulous!
Like Pinky and the Brain's shopping channel-- Fantastically Amazing!!
I remember liking Absolutely Fabulous with Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley.
AbFab was a great show!
Some abs look fabulous! But I still prefer my wine and beer
I'm up for an online AbFab viewing party!!

Athramites
June Whitfield appears in old radio repeats, and she was in big shows all the back to the early'50s.
Big Show is a WWE wrestler
Mike McAvennie, former Legion editor, went to work for the WWE after DC fired him.

Not as a wrestler, obviously. smile
Professional wrestling is kind of halfway between comics and soap operas. I admit that at one time I watched it for the beefcake.
It was popular with some of my friends, back when we were kids. It seemed to have cycles of popularity, like martial arts.
Originally Posted by Rockhopper Lad
Professional wrestling is kind of halfway between comics and soap operas..

This is exactly right. So it makes sense that it would attract folks from the comic industry
There’s the whole good guy / bad guy dichotomy smile
For reasons too long and boring to go into here, I once had neutral feelings about pro wrestling, but those turned very negative a couple of years ago. shake
Oh, I've been very negative about it for quite a while, but it wasn't until I started watching "Dark Side of the Ring" on the Vice channel that those reasons kind of solidified.

I know that Dwayne Johnson tells fun stories of his start in the business, but the whole thing just doesn't sit well with me.
Ive never liked it, even though my sister and cousins did
It's never been something that appealed to me. I must have watched some at friends though, as I do recognise some of the names when they'd appear years later in other news items. Over here, wrestling used to be part of early Saturday afternoon sports scheduling. A bargain basement version of the glitzy US one, with wrestlers like Giant Haystacks and Big Daddy. I can't say I ever watched any of that. Probably on just after the football previews.
Watching sport in general never appealed to me smile
I'm watching a fair bit of the Euros that are being played in England. International tournaments can be pretty dull sometimes. But every match has offered something different.
I find watching sports is more exciting live
Me too. I genuinely enjoy watching pretty much any sport, due to an understanding of the sheer physicality of what the athletes are doing.

Pro wrestling, while it does require a certain degree of athleticism (obviously), seems more about getting jacked up muscles and doing silly stunts, all in the wrapper of a comic book fantasy.
Sports like fencing and tennis, I find more exciting, because indeed tactical ability is more highlighted.
Sports like fencing and tennis, I find more exciting, because indeed tactical ability is more highlighted.

Yep - I'm not as much into Tennis, but fencing is fun to watch in the Olympics, and the same combination of tactics and ability is why I like to watch pro golf - the amazing shots they are able to do is fantastic to watch, and when they mess up big, it makes me feel better about my own game. laugh

But the team sports I also watch for the tactics at a team level, and this goes for pretty much any sport, but I do tend to watch during the championships to guarantee I'll be watching some good stuff. I'll watch my fan teams as well, but it tends to be self punishing more often than not. laugh
Both of my fan football teams came closer to going out of buisness than anyone would have liked. So, there's a bit of perspective in watching them. things really could be worse. smile generally, it just nice to get soem fresh air, watch some football, get some unhealthy food and drink and catch up with a few people, or at least nod to the fellow sufferers.
Misery loves company, and all that wink
There's the old gag about a guy being led to the gallows and saying, "Well, at least I don't have to watch Albion on Saturday."
Misery loves company, and all that wink

This is Baltimore sports in a nutshell laugh
They're terrible, but they're ours, dang it!
Hope spring eternal for better days, despite all the historical evidence to the contrary.
There once were a couple of friends who were both extremely keen on their football. They played it, they watched it, and they discussed and debated it at every opportunity. There was one thing that concerned them however. Would there be football in the afterlife? So they made a pact. Which ever one of them died first, they would somehow get a message back to the other about this crucial question. Eventually one of them did "pass over" and did manage to get a message back to their friend. The message was:

"I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that they do have football here.

The bad news is your scheduled to play next Saturday."
In the end I prefer watching comedy . Real life can be tough, let me escape smile
Or escape into newly bought comics when I was a kid.
Ah, the smell and feel of fresh new comic books
In the end I prefer watching comedy . Real life can be tough, let me escape smile

Or adventure movies. I've been all about that over the last two years.

Except for Shawshank Redemption. That's a good drama to watch because it's LITERALLY about escape.

Or old ones!
[quote=Invisible Brainiac]

Or old ones!

My favorite old comics smell is Marvel from between Autumn 1991 and Summer 1994. It was a similar paper stock to Baxter at DC in the 80s, and it had a similar aroma. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. love
Ah, autumn, I love autumn smile
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
[quote=Invisible Brainiac]

Or old ones!

My favorite old comics smell is Marvel from between Autumn 1991 and Summer 1994. It was a similar paper stock to Baxter at DC in the 80s, and it had a similar aroma. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. love

There must be a market for bottled comic book aromas.

"Ah Sir! You have wisely selected a broome/infantino '61. Note how the paper stock darts with super speed into your mind leaving hints of scientific marvel."

"My humblest apologies Madam. The shop has been closed for the day. A patron opened the Image '93 bottle, and we await the air to clear."
I hear Rob Liefeld scents are used by gym buffs as an alternative to steroids
I think you'll have suffered multiple organ failure, if you come out of a gym looking like anything Liefeld would draw.
I would be excited to draw anything at this point. OK, maybe not a stranger's organs. That seems a bit too forward.
How about the skin? smile that's an organ too
I recall reading an article about the skin walkers of Navajo culture. It looked at the uses of legends/folklore, and considered cultural appropriation concerns.
I have done a Google search on skin walkers now.
All this talk is making my skin crawl....
The roses which came with my house are referred to in an old gardening book as a type of "crawler" or "creeper." In that they don't form a bush or shrub shape. Nor are they vines though they could theoretically be tied to a trellis if we had one. Instead, they lie loosely on the ground in a jumbled way if not disturbed. In fact, when I first saw them, I thought that they were raspberry or blackberry canes. Because they were dried out and without leaves or blooms.

Now they bloom early every summer, in a two-toned variety called "Rosa Mundi." You'll find better looking plants out there, but fancier hybrids don't have the incredible smell that these *super* old-timers do. (Supposedly, they were first cultivated in the 14th Century.) I forgive them everything because of that. Also, there's now a big clump of Solomon's Seal in that same spot, which holds the canes up and also disguises them when they're out of bloom.

PlantLad
The Creeper: A very slow moving Steve Ditko series, that required watering threatening it's grade in the Comic Book Price Guide.
Creepers are an enemy in the suikoden video game series
I'd like to have made my roses climbers, but they are planted too far away from where I'd put trellises. I've let them grow for a few years, and the blooms are lovely, and like Cleome's have an amazing fragrance.
We have a cactus and a nice big tropical plant. Relatively easy to take care of
My garden is easy to maintain. Mainly because I leave it alone, and have lots of shrubs.
At my old house, we had all kinds of plants to maintain (including the yard itself).

Now in my in-between space, all the maintenance in the community is handled by a landscaping company!
I enjoy doing some gardening. I don't do it too often, so it's more relaxation than a chore.
Me too - I enjoyed mowing the grass and associated activities. I found it relaxing.

I hadn't realized how much it helped me keep active until I moved to a house where I didn't have to maintain a yard! laugh
I had a nice walk down to the harbour today, to keep me active.
We also had a nice walk across Amsterdam yesterday, by following one of the big canals
I went out for a lunchtime walk today. Lovely and warm here as we just about miss out on the more extreme weather elsewhere in the UK.
Lucky you smile
Fixed a French lentil salad tonight so I can have it for lunch tomorrow. The most planning I've done for meals in months.
We also try to make enough to last a couple of days, though my man was at first against the idea of eating the same meal two days in a row tongue
Lots of things taste much better on the second day and juices have had s chance to soak in.
I think a lot of cats would agree, after comparing fresh caught mice to mice stored in the litter box for a couple days
Exactly. Second day mice taste better. Yums!
The former neighbor's cat would bring us mice from time to time. But when we didn't pick them up he'd take them back for his own snacking pleasure.
I tend to find them already dead. Except for a couple times when they nested in the outdoor furniture or in the grill.

That was gross.
Our sausage dog was also amazing at catching rats
I tend to find them already dead. Except for a couple times when they nested in the outdoor furniture or in the grill.

That was gross.

Were you cooking on the grill when you noticed them?
Lean protein!
Although you'd want to take the grilled fur off first.

That was gross.

Were you cooking on the grill when you noticed them?

So how it went down was I went out to prep the grill for cooking, took off the cover and as soon as I lifted the lid, the mice all went scattering, leaving the remains of their nest. Come to think of it, that happed on two grills - my main outdoor as well as my portable...

Needless to say, there was some cleanup afterwards with about an hour with the burners on HIGH. laugh
Burn it! burn it to oblivion!
Burn it! burn it to oblivion!

Cleanse with fire!! laugh
Wildflame
It could be a brave gaseous lad to go near an open flame.
Kaboom boom!
I still have a photo from the pre-internet days, of my parents' cat Harry licking a grill next to the fireplace that my dad used to cook steaks in the wintertime. Harry was renowned for his cleaning skills. Streaky

Nothing remains of all those days but the photo. Dad and Harry are long gone. The house was torn down.

I'm glad I didn't accidentally toss the photo.
what a lovely memory smile
You know, you could always post Harry's pic somewhere. Then he would live on in the memories of us all, and those we show it to and who come after us.

Well after you lot. I've got an Ivo Inc Cryo Pod.
I should scan those pictures someday soon. I was waiting because my computer drive was so full. But I have an exterior hard drive now.
My man uses Google Drive to store pics. I just use Facebook - upload into private albums only I can see. Oh, and the spybots, and the CIA...
I'm so paranoid, I duplicate my photos between Google, Microsoft and Apple. laugh
always wise to have multiple redundancies smile
I never really look back at photos so 1) don't take many and 2) have them scattered over some drives. I did back them up though.
I don't take any *current* photos. Because I only have a flip phone. We have two broken digital cameras and I need to find out if there's anyone still alive in town who might repair them for me.
My first digital camera had some sort of setting issue. So I have lovely pictures with a purple tinge. It was a known issue, so not just me, which is what I thought it would be.
I occasionally find the old digital camera or video recorder when I'm moving stuff or searching for other things.

My youngest daughter is interested in photography and so my brother in law loaned one of his older cameras to her. It's digital but its a pretty sophisticated deal. Way more than I'm used to dealing with!
Tragically, none of us realized that thoth lad was slowly being possessed by the Eggplant Eye
We all thought it was a variant of the crimson plague that impacted some of the legion.
Better than the Pain Plague
A bit of a pain looking at them. I know a couple of folk very into their photography. One has the pennies to get a very good standard of kit. The other has to be creative with what they have. Both good at it. Both incapable of not going on about it, until you lapse into a coma. smile
I have my photos set as the changing background on my computer. Gives me the chance to reminisce on the locations and events involved.
that's a great one stile, maybe I should do that too!
A parade of purple pics on my 'puter.
Perplexing purple pustules on his... putter
I can get ointment for that, but it won't fix my pics.
The pics will be a reminder of that one time
...at bandcamp? ElasticLad
Well, it was about Thoth’s instrument
What happened at bandcamp, stays at bandcamp.
Except for the STDs
'tis true. My photographic mishaps continued into bandcamp, resulting in Strangely Tinted Daguerreotypes.
And what about the Shockingly Twisted Dungarees that you wore as a teen?
My Stylish Trendy Denims were considered to be quite cool at the time.
So were the Superfluous Dangling Ties.
Spray-on Trouser Designs sadly never caught on.
Neither did Splendiferous Trailing Dolmans. People kept tripping over them
The House of Dolmann was a British comic series. In it, a man who runs a repair shop, uses remote controlled puppets to fight crime.
Dolmens are a type of megalithic tomb
That's what I thought this guy's name had come from. I hadn't read the strips. I thought it was odd that he would have puppets. Quite a bit later the penny dropped that it was a play on doll man. My first impression had thrown me.
Maybe Doll Men used to live in the dolmens!
Arent those the rice-stuffed grape leaves?
I think those are dolmas, not dolmen
I could go for some dolmas right now. Too bad I'm having crackers and cheese, because that's what's in the house and it's way too hot to go out.
I joined a Facebook Group called "I Hate Summer". I thought I hated the heat, some of the people there... but I get it! the heat waves lately have just been way too intense!
I worked on for a couple of hours yesterday. As usual, ten seconds after I go out to get some of that lovely sunshine I'd watched through a window all day...it rains.
I joined a Facebook Group called "I Hate Summer". I thought I hated the heat, some of the people there... but I get it! the heat waves lately have just been way too intense!

Hopefully no one in that group is named Summer! laugh
I'm not making that mistake again, after my I Hate Wednesday group turned out to just despise one of the Addams Family.

Hopefully no one in that group is named Summer! laugh

Cree and Donna would definitely like a word.
Gasp! Have I been duped into joining an anti- Donna Summer group!
It's hard to get through all that tiny-print boilerplate when you sign up for a new service. shake
Gasp! Have I been duped into joining an anti- Donna Summer group!

This time I *DON'T* know its real!
Now how do I get out if this predicament, and return to merely being indifferent to Donna Summer?!
I think it's too late. You've set off a chain reaction.
*sobs because I don't get what must certainly be a reference to one of Donna Summer's songs*
Probably me getting that one mixed up with Diana Ross again. A case of Mistaken Identity (back on track now).
Don't be chained by your faulty memory
Thanks. It's All Systems Go, now.
System Reboot time?
As long as I can still Be Myself Again after the reboot.
Me, myself and I
Me, myself and I
A very popular saying on Cargg.
I need to find a quote of Luornu saying that
No, no, no. That song was by either Joan Armatrading or Billie Holiday. Depending on which half of the 20th Century you're visiting.
I was thinking De La Soul.
Ah, French

Je mange de la confiture!
De La Soul did reference "3 Is A Magic Number." Which was also seen on the cover of Lluornu's Threeboot origin story.
It is magic and lucky! In some cultures
Two's Company. Three's a Crowd: Why two of Lu's bodies, plotted the death of the third.

We begin in Brainy's Lab: Why Querl! That looks like a fascinating project! A Computo, you say?
And if you look closely, you can see one of the surviving Lu's tripping the third Lu oh-so=-subtly while running away from COMPUTO
Dang, that's cold...
Dang, that's cold...

Polar Boy was in on it?!
He was still mad that he got rejected! Forming the Subs was just a cover story...
Crumbs! Cosmic Boy better watch out for Night Girl.
She's a real Mata Hari, that one
Matter Hari: Deceptive survivor of Trom.
Mata Harry: unknown, less successful brother of Mata Hari
"Go ahead. Make my Tarnium!"
The Mess in Dirty Meyer:

"You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?’
"Well, yes. I'm from Ventura."
... although I did eventually leave because I kept losing at the casinos
I like to say that I don't gamble anymore. But then I remember that I'll open all the comments in a Twitter thread, hoping against hope that the whole thing will be decent and not turn grim. But of course, it always does at some point. I never have the sense to just close the thread when it's still all right. : / So... the gambler's instinct is apparently undying. shake
I've stopped reading the comments just for this reason. It shocks me sometimes how many judgmental, close-minded people there are out there.

or maybe they are just trolls, which is sadder - they enjoy making other people upset.
Yep. I was talking to somebody elsewhere about this yesterday. They lamented the fact that people will say things to each other online which they'd never dare to say to a person right in front of them. Experience tells me that even that isn't quite right. I've met serial abusers and "wreckers" online who are clearly practiced at and very confident of their "art." I have no doubt at all that offline they're also abusers, manipulators, conmen, and/or terrible bullies. Sometimes they even brag about it, saying things like, "I hit my kids just like my parents hit me and we all turned out fine!!" Yecchhh!!
I've read similar, that (some) people online depersonalize those they interact with, which allows them to be meaner. but I agree with you, most people I know are still quite empathetic online, they know there are real people out there.
I've watched a couple of YouTube channels about how Narcissists (and some other difficult types) routinely operate. They've given me a framework which I wish I'd had decades ago. Still, better late than never.

I don't run around trying to diagnose people. I don't know for sure that some of the walking nightmares I met online and off would truly be diagnosed with these disorders. I can only speculate. But those channels at least give the possibility that behaviors I saw, which didn't seem to make sense, actually do make sense. At least for the people engaging in them.
Understanding is half the battle. I operate on an x-strike principle, once something seems to be a pattern of behavior I just stop engaging. With most reasonable people, things can be resolved in a couple of attempts to engage, after all.
X-Strike: Xavier's school launches missions against meanies. Coming soon from Marvel.
X-pelled: mean students sent away. But what about mean teachers? Battle lines are drawn as Wolverine and Emma Frost kicked out!
X-tortionate: Fewer Pages, Multiple Covers, Tangential Event Tie In, Higher Price!
X-treme: the growing number of books, legacy characters, and recycled plots!
X-Acto: The offspring of Rule 63! Wolverine when she hooked up with our reality's Magneto. Their kid has an arsenal of thin, sharp metal blades which can shoot from their hands in battle. But the weaponry can also be called back and reabsorbed due to the kid's magnetic powers.
X-cessive: the sheer number of clones and offspring of the most famous and "popular" characters introduced
Has there been a clone story that's been popular?
I thought the movie "Moon" was kind of a neat take on clones.
There was a nice half moon last night
Whenever there's anything remotely interesting to see in the heavens, you can bet it will be cloudy here.
Thankfully, most days there isn’t that much interesting to see, I think
Alignments, meteor showers, invasions being launched from Mars. That sort of thing.
In the DcU, they get invaded weekly so that’s very meh
Strike Force DC: Earth's superheroes are conscripted to go and destroy the source of all the weekly invasions.
Crisis of the Week DC: what it says on the tin! A new crisis every week! but don't worry, you won't get confused as each Crisis will summarize all the other Crises that came before, all the way up to the original Crisis on Infinite Earths!
Crisis of the Week DC: Poor writing, delayed art, turned into a relocated byproduct of films/TV that themselves get canned losing millions, decisions by committee, endless poorly thought out events that even game hyperbole websites struggle with, and editorial messes going back beyond the days of gorilla covers and go go checks.
Crisis of the week DC:vague threat, gratuitous deaths and injuries, artificial conflict, hyped up group of starring heroes who end up standing around and not really doing anything…
I guess its better being hyped up than hopped up!
*hic* depends what you’re hopped up on *hic*
I think of a hophead more as a drug addict than a beer liker.
Can also be a rabbit liker

Hoppity hop hop
Or someone who likes rap: A hip hophead
Someone addicted to top hats: a tip-the-top head
Bakery addict: breadhead
Cheese addict: kaaskop (a real Dutch word)
I thought that said catsup
When they were young and filling in a Q&A for a pop magazine, one of Blur seemed very keen on cheese. Many years later he bought a farm and is a cheese maker.
Cheese is yummy

Cheese is life - ok that’s going a stop too much I think
No. No it's not.

This coming from a guy who spent way too much time picking out the cheeses served for a Brazilian BBQ party smile
Cheese is the Life would have been the tagline for Francis Ford Coppola's Dairy Dracula.
Gasp! Are you here for … for…

*Dairy Dracula bursts dramatically through window*

I am here… to raid your fridge!
My fridge broke down yesterday. Just in time for a heat wave.
Sorry, thought. Polar Boy is (hopefully) on his way! PolarBoy
Thanks Ibby. The glacier is proving to be very popular with the locals.
I can imagine. He can make snowballs too, for portable coldness!
Sadly, the giant snowball has left a trail of destruction after I rolled it down the hill. Still, one person's devastating loss is another's redevelopment opportunity.
It's a nice way to upgrade the old cheese rolling contests

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtvG9XDtjv4
Brie-liant fun
Whoever survives is the biggest cheese... except there seem to be holes in the game rules
Rules, rules and edamn rules....
Edamame rules! (make of that what you will - is it rules for eating edamame? or are we all under the control of this normal-seeming, innocuous plant that most peopole in the world have never heard of?)
We'll be fine if it's a plant, as we've got Cleome
I thought the rules for edamame was the person who's able to shoot the bean from the bean pod the furthest was the winner.
Actually, the rules for edamame are to eat a mammy…
Legion of Cannibals: A Kappa/Lenzi/Fickles' production for Legion World.
Legion of Cannabis?
Ah, they must be the people I see buying weed at the coffee shop across the street, and smoking across the canal all night
There's the Legion of Conifers that sway gently in the breeze in their bid to prevent crime.
Wasn't that a big crossover with Swamp Thing? hmmm
And the Thyme Trapper!
It was the Thyme Trapper who made sure Rose &Thorn made it into the 31st century.
I do enjoy a nice cup of rose-petal tea. But not in this weather.
Unless it's iced tea!
And thanks to Polar Boy's glacier from a few posts up, I have the ice!
See, if global warming had been an issue during the Legion's time, Brek for sure would have gotten in first try!
Wasn't it Sun Boy who rejected him in cruel inhuman Legion tradition?
Sun Boy...the villain behind global warming?!
He’s been under our noses all this time!

Under our seats too..: giving everyone a hot foot and making even sitting very uncomfortable
If you can't stand the heat, get out of Sun Boy's kitchen.
Eh, that's no problem. He was never my type.

Saving the list of heroes who can come on in my kitchen --Robert Johnson-style-- for my memoirs. Which will only be published posthumously. Because I embarrass easily.
Embarrassment is the title of a song by Madness, the Very English band that combines Ska with music hall. English people tend to be easily embarrassed. Ergo, how fitting that Madness would do a song about it.
Shame is a very major concept in many cultures...

How many times I was told growing up - this is shame on your parents! grandparents! uncles and aunties! ancestors!!!
Tasmia Mallor is always invoking her ancestors.
She does have some famous, accomplished ones!
I was reading a story with some early Barry (L.E.G.I.O.N.) Kitson art, just the other day. Before drawing Tasmia's ancestor in that book, he worked on Judge Anderson with the late Alan Grant. The strip I was reading was earlier than that, back in his Marvel UK days.
I was very disappointed in the lack of posts and views of the Gym'lls thread about Alan Grant's death. He deserved much better.
I had been toying with a Best of British thread only a little while ago. Grant/Wagner's Apocalypse War was going to be the first entry.
I, for one, would love it if you started that thread, Thoth.
I support that
Support your local Egyptian diety.
Buy local!
My child of local Egyptian deity preferred to have a nap in the garden today, rather than go for a walk around the church yard.
Our Neighbor’s child of Egyptian deity was amazingly aloof yesterday… until we brought the laser pointer out
Linus Van Pelt once declared he wanted to be a great doctor when he grew up, a regular M. Deity.
Linus has a bright future ahead of him
Train drivers have bright futures ahead of them, every time they leave a tunnel.
Unless they're drivin' that train high on cocaine
Tyroc band

"From iceberg refrain
Gimme' romaine..."

PlantLad
Lettuce think of a few other green veggies.
Another Legion World thread with puns. There's a turnip for the books.
One good pun deserves another
Due to the current economic crisis, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Could be worse. The light might have been an oncoming train.
You mean, that's not tomato juice on the tracks?!
Some of it will be tomato juice, as the buffet car got hit too.
Heads (of cabbage) were rolling
In one classic Uncle Scrooge story, the only thing in his yacht's pantry is cabbage, because it's cheap.
I have an uncle who is also very cheap. But unlike Uncle Scrooge, I would not call him wealthy.

This cheap uncle is the kind who will try and take home bedding, towels, blankets provided by the hotel he stays in...
You'd think the hotel would spot the removal men taking everything out of the room.
Ah if only that professor from the Uncle Scrooge story had perfected his device to remove the stink of cooking cabbage instead of a device to turn people in to stone. (You can see how someone would get those two mixed up.)
I guess turning things to stone removes the smell…?
Turn to Stone was a rack on ELO's Out of the Blue album.
Stone Boy did a cover of Turn to Stone once. StoneBoy

Accompanied by Reboot villain Stheno. Sadly, the audience did not get to listen to it... :Stheno:
Was Stheno an Evil Woman?
Could turning people to stone be a good thing"?
She might have been a Sweet Talkin' Woman.
I heard she was dating Mr. Blue Sky.
I would not mind some grey skies today...
"You want my reply?

What was the question?

I was lookin' at the big sky..."

(This song always makes me think of Rene Magritte and his love for painting cloudy skies onto everything: even easels and wine bottles.)
And, once again, Cleome and I disagree on the merits of a pop star, in this case Kate Bush. smile
I didn't really maintain interest after that LP and *The Dreaming* before it. But I'd consider her a great contributor to pop music even if those were all she'd done.
Fair enough.

Vive la differance.
I killed this thread!

CalorieQueen
It is an ex thread, it is a thread no more, this thread has snuffed it....
Wow, well done Fanfie!
© Legion World