Legion World
Welcome to......

Kill This Thread XL

The following rules were established by Kent Shakespeare at the start of the first 24-hour version, adapted from the original rules by EDE:

The rules:

1. The Basic Idea: Post to this thread, if no one posts after you for 24 hours, you win!

2. Posts that are not direct responses to one of the five preceding posts are ineligible to win. The topic can drift, but no complete non-sequitors. Posts that are responses to non-sequitors are also ineligible to win. Posts that are responses to responses to non-sequitors, and response nses to those posts, etc., become eligible, however.

3. In the event that this thread is locked, there shall be no winner unless a new thread is started for the contest. Furthermore, any post that results in the banning of the poster shall also be ineligible to win.

4. So, more precisely, one wins if one makes a post, and then no one makes another post that's eligible to win for 24 hours.

Here's a history of our various felons, along with a few missed opportunities.....

I - walkwithcrowds (7-day version)
II - none
III - none
IV - Quislet, Esq
V - Rockhopper Lad (the first 24-hour version)
VI - Rockhopper Lad
VII - cleome
VIII - Rockhopper Lad
IX - Rockhopper Lad
X - none
XI - none
XII - none
XIII - Invisible Brainiac
XIV - Invisible Brainiac
XV - Invisible Brainiac
XVI - Invisible Brainiac
XVII - Invisible Brainiac
XVIII - cleome
XIX - cleome
XX - cleome
XXI - Jfposey
XXII - Invisible Brainiac
XXIII - jfposey
XIV - Invisible Brainiac
XV - PALADIN (eff YEAH!!!)
XVI- Quislet, Esq.
XVII - Invisible Brainiac
XVIII - none
XIX - none
XX - Quislet, Esq.
XXI - thoth lad
XXII - Ann Hebistand
XXIII - Quislet, Esq.
XXIV - Invisible Brainiac
XXV - Invisible Brainiac
XXVI - Quislet, Esq.
XXVII - thoth lad
XXVIII - Quislet, Esq.
XXIX - Eryk Davis Ester
XXX - Invisible Brainiac
XXXI - Invisible Brainiac
XXXII - Ann Hebistand
XXXIII - Invisible Brainiac
XXXIV - Invisible Brainiac
XXXV - none
XXXVI - thoth lad
XXXVII - Ann Hebistand
XXXVIII - Invisible Brainiac
XXXIX - Thoth Lad
Hopefully, I'll ded this thread asquickly as the last.
Not if I have anything to do about it.

CalorieQueen
Curses! Foiled again!
Perhaps you do have 24/7 watch
Ever watchful, ever vigilanzzzzzzzzzzz....snore......
Quick thread get away now!
I think Peter David writes Quicksilver better than anyone else.
He just gets him!
I came across what I think is his first x-factor issue a few weeks back, and it still holds up well.
Classics never die, though they may get retconned away
X-Factor by Peter David might be the last of the classic long-form superhero runs totaling more than 100 issues.
They just don’t last as long as they used to
And it's a shame that they don't. Everything by the Big Two these days is so rigidly planned out, it allows no room for spontaneity or wild tangents. For that, we need to read indie series. Somehow, though, it's just not the same.

Or maybe it's just that I'm old.

sigh
It’s really not the same smile
Glad I'm not alone in feeling that way. smile
smile

I mean, if I compare COIE to Dark Crisis… though zero hour also came earlier and wasn’t my cup of tea

Talking only about plotting and dialogue
Not just you guys. Writing by committee around poorly executed events has removed a lot of the creative spark from books. The last time I looked they were one note, interchangeable efforts where you could move the cast from one to the other, without it making much difference.

There's something wonderful about entering these worlds when you're younger. Perhaps kids still do that in picking up 1 of the 20 bat books that month. The ones that recapture some of it tend to have a nostalgic hint to them like Astro City or Black Hammer.
Yup, most of the cast are kinda just there. Full of big battles where everyone is just kinda in a big group scene…
Bendis' Legion just following that trend then?

Dialogue that looked added onto panels with endless group shots. Interchangeable characters getting part of a sentence in any of those panels. A jumble of action that goes almost nowhere and a plot point filling in as a cliffhanger at the end.
You could omit half the cast and nothing would change

I did just read the Dark Crisis: Dark Army tie in. Now THIS is a comic that’s worth it, each Character has their own personality, no interchangeable dialogue, references the original COIE and Infinite Crisis in a meaningful, easy to understand and on-point way unique to Kimiyo and to Power Girl. At the end, something tangible is accomplished and I can see how it fits into the bigger story. Also explains how Darkseid, Neron, Doomsday and others are fighting the heroes yet nobody has died yet (they’re not at full power)

A+

And even the cameos are meaningful
I'd fancy that on close to zero power, any of those villains could kill swathes of capes.
It’s a very handwave-y explanation indeed smile Darkseid just needs to stand there, and most heroes would break all their bones punching him
Darkseid had an awesome voice in the old Super Friends cartoon. He sounded like a rumbling volcano.
Full of gravitas, and prone to spewing out hot stuff
Ewww. I'd not like to be out with Darkseid when he's drunk. It's only going to end up with you apologising for everyone he's omega beamed for not serving him drinks in a millisecond, not letting him hog the karaoke...
Could be worse. Imagine Black Bolt on Karaoke.
Or a duet between Black Bolt and Superman, written by Grant Morrison.
Which dimension are we now… oh and there’s that throwaway object that Morrison introduced ten issues ago in another series… and… is that an appearance of Superman from 100000 years in the future?
The, bandage wrapped Unknown Superman from the future, who turns out to be Alan Moore appearing to say "Will you stop ripping off my stuff?"
To his credit, Alan Moore never had Superman sing Darkseid out of existence. Grant Morrison did, to eternal shame.
When people sing musical numbers in front of me, vanishing out of existence until the next reboot doesn't seem so bad.
I've never liked Warren Ellis, but the retcons he did in Next Wave are what really make me hate him.
If only all writers knew how to properly respect the characters they write
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
I've never liked Warren Ellis, but the retcons he did in Next Wave are what really make me hate him.

I remember reading one issue and he managed to wreck Monica Rambeau. The rest must have been dreadful. I've always wondered what the reaction of regular Stormwatch readers was when he killed off their team, so he could use the title and sales as a platform for what would become The Authority.

I remember seeing one of his internet groups, realising it wasn't a parody and marked in my mind with a sign saying "Here Be Tools" What was disclosed about him later, didn't appear as a massive surprise.
I, too, was unsurprised. If anything, I felt vindicated for having been one of his most steadfast detractors even when he was considered the coolest dude in the funnybook industry.
Cool = edgy for some. Me, I prefer my heroes good and representing the best of humanity
Same here. No matter how many times Real Life leaves me feeling gutted in regards to other people, I still believe that those of us who really try to be our best selves can succeed. But having more fictional role models would certainly help.
I'll third that. I've never been comfortable with the anti-hero trend.
Thanks, GL.

I think the whole antihero thing is a case of arrested adolescence -- en masse, which is a very scary thought.
A lot of common tropes are annoying. Fighting before talking, the hothead, driven by disproportionate revenge, not communicating with allies but maintaining stupid secrets…
psychopathic rampages at your teammates for the most innocuous things, female characters being used as trophies having to fall for emotionally stunted male characters, or being killed off to give male charatcers something to angst about...
Wow, I really feel like you're describing Guy Gardner. smile
For a time, he was. Still remember when he broke Beetle's ribs...
I was thinking Wolverine for a lot of it, but there's no shortage of characters to fit the bill.
Jean-Paul Valley, Punisher, Eradicator...
I give Jean Paul Valley a pass, because at least Denny O'Neil tried to give him a definite character arc and some moral ambiguity.
I think I read Azrael's first appearance, and didn't dislike it. He seemed to quite different when I saw him next. O'Neill being involved in early ones would explain that.
In the comments on a recent Youtube about the dearth of sub-plots in comics of the past decade, someone referenced the book DC Comics Guide to Writing Comics by Dennis O'Neil. According to the commenter "There's a part in the book that specifically discussed and encourages the use of subplots to explore different facets of the hero's life and cast, as well as a system used for graduating background subplots into the foreground plots- called the Levitz Paradigm. Plot A takes up the majority of the issue, while Plot B becomes the focus of the next issue, and Plot C is a minor point that becomes Plot B of the next, and so forth." I thought it was interesting the O'Neill called it the Levitz Paradigm which to me is an obvious reference to his Legion work where sub-plots abounded.
There was definitely a method to how Levitz brought in and developed sub-plots!
It wasn't entirely Levitz's invention, but he certainly refined it to a science.
That's fascinating. O'Neil certainly used that (or rather made sure that the method was used by his writers) when he ran the Batman titles (case in point w/Azrael)
I seem to recall it actually being mentioned in the lettercols in the Baxter era.
I'll have to have a look at the Baxter letter columns. Thanks, EDE.

(Good to see you here, by the way)
Always good to see more posters posting smile
I'll have to have a look at the Baxter letter columns. Thanks, EDE.

(Good to see you here, by the way)

I wish I could recall the context, but right now it's just a vague recollection that that's where I first encountered the idea.

It's always good to be here. smile
always good having you here smile
Its a good place to be! laugh
Originally Posted by Gaseous Lad
Its a good place to be! laugh

(Ann does her best Belinda Carlisle voice)

"Ooh, baby, do you know what that's worth?
Ooh, heaven is a place at Legion World"

lol
I remember when Romy and Michelle danced to that song!
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
I remember when Romy and Michelle danced to that song!

Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion is a favorite movie of transgender icon Kate Bornstein. And Doom Patrol writer Rachel Pollack, who is also trans, named Kate Godwin (Coagula) after her.
how lovely that all these are connected!
I believe everything is connected.
in this world, for sure. butterfly effects everywhere, he says as he drops an egg, and next second the whole building shakes
in this world, for sure. butterfly effects everywhere, he says as he drops an egg, and next second the whole building shakes

Butterfly was the codename of Layla Miller, a key character from Peter David's aforementioned X-Factor run, which brings this thread full circle. smile
Synchronicity is not just an album by The Police.
Originally Posted by thoth lad
Synchronicity is not just an album by The Police.

smile

"Revry reth roo rake..."

Andy Summers hates that song, don't you know.
I hate summer, or more appropriately I hate the heat and humidity!
You've never truly experienced summer unless its been in the US Mid-Atlantic. The heat and humidity is an oppressive hive of scum and villainy.
You've never truly experienced summer unless its been in the US Mid-Atlantic. The heat and humidity is an oppressive hive of scum and villainy.

It's not widely known that Jabba the Hutt hails from there.
It was surely much better for his skin, but he definitely needed to make sure he headed towards Florida for... well, for reasons...
Political reasons, maybe
I remember a Cthulhu For President sticker. "Why vote for a lesser evil," it said.
just go alllll the way!
If we're going with fictional characters for president, and we've already brought up C'thulu, why not just make Reep president? He has the pedigree AND the tentacles...

It's simple logic, people...
And the experience, as (hereditary) Spiritual Leader of Durla
Vote Reep! Why vote for just a two faced politician!
The more faces, the merrier!
Something for Everybody was an album title for both Devo and Elvis.
There is something for everybody in the biggest shopping malls, or so they say
One day the local council where I am will own the local mall and find a way to ruin it.
Local councils tend to do that
Just reading that the local arts centre / theatre is under closure threat from the council too.
This reminds me of a scene from The Young Ones.

VYVYAN: The council's gonna tear the house down!

NEIL: That's no reason to hassle me on the toilet, maaaaan!

In all seriousness, though, I'm sorry to hear that, Thoth.
The arts centre is at the harbour, where the same council deliberately ran down a sports centre, so they could demolish it and sell the land for property development. Grrr.
and they've been taking candies from babies, too!
If they could build a mobile flat in a pram, they'd sell off the babies. The decline in coal mining means that small children weren't bringing in as much money as before anyway.
Especially with the economy going digital, can't quite have small children ruining the tech businesses. though some of them seem to be led by large-sized children anyway (glances in the direction of a certain rich tech man whose tweets sound like a constant temper tantrum)
Boss Baby: The Next Generation
I swear some babies and kids are manipulative
Well, they can be manipulative from the corner, where they have been sent as punishment.
They can try to manipulate those nasty cockroaches behind the wall. Ewwww
Rumour has it that Lana Lang's Insect Queen career started off in the punishment corner, after failing to prove Clark was Superboy yet again.
This explains why Lana wasn't so distraught when her dad was about to spank her that one time. "Eh, I've had worse", thought Lana
I like the scene in the first Mordru story where Lana says to the disguised Tasmia, "It'll be nice to have a sister for a while."
Lana acquitted herself well in that story. I remember Mordru commenting that Lana had fire.

And of course, poor Lu's heartbreak over Kal
Was that the one where Shady in "disguise" was her in whiteface? eek
Was that the one where Shady in "disguise" was her in whiteface? eek

Yep.

But I forgive that instance because desperate times call for desperate measures.

The Whiteface in LSH 299-300, that's unforgivable. Pure fanwank.
Yeah, I tend to agree.

The earlier story was bad given that editorial had forced Shady from being black to blue, because DC Editorial.

The 300 situation did even need to happen at all.
TBH, I personally think that just because she was originally supposed to be black shouldn't mean she should somehow be considered a coded black character. Maybe it's because I'm a person of color who's not black.

I mean, in the decades since we've gotten Jacques, Danielle, April, Jazmin, and the biracial Jenni. No such luck for overt Latinx representation.
Definitely, although I find it hard to think of Shady, and even Andrew, as other than that, but it's more a problem on my end about being too familiar with (and unhappy about) DC's stance at the time about non-white characters.
Fair enough, GL. Any kind of counter-stance in favor of diversity is a good one.

BTW, your favorite Legionnaire might be considered a coded South Asian character, with a name like Salu.
Funnily enough, I always considered her Spanish, although south Asian would definitely work for her.

I don't know if they ever went down that path of ethnicities too much in the Threeboot after changing Thom to be black instead of caucasian, but I wondered about Salu, as they seemed to make her ethnically a bit more ambiguous, and they gave Tinya a bit more color in her skin than they had in the past.
Tagalog (language in one of the regions of Philippines) has a vocabulary with many loan words from Spanish. That helped me get to the Spanish basics really fast
I can see that - I remember being confused as a child about the fact that a lot of the Filipinos that I knew were pretty fluent in Spanish until I was educated about the history.
Some of the central region languages are very, very, very similar to Spanish smile

As for me, Tagalog has different grammatical rules, but the similar vocabulary helped a lot
While Germanic languages are considered easier to learn from English, a lot of language courses insist theirs are easy as part of their marketing.
And some swear by immersion. Here, spend a week in this monastery or nunnery where they speak ONLY your target language…
Or language tapes while you sleep. Learn Mandarin while you snooze!
And have dreams of cranky old Chinese grandmas screaming at you!
Those are some funky dreams. laugh
That was my reality growing up!
No surprise we've a poor sleepers thread on here.
That deserves to be bumped up
I really should. I'll look back on some of that lack of sleep as a golden age. Although not all. It's good we have threads like that to support each other. Places we can drop in and out of with no pressure to keep it going. Just somewhere to share on some topics, which can be a big help by itself.
Kinda like the trouble alert wink it rings when someone needs it, otherwise no pressure
Rings quietly, so as not to wake others up. smile
Peace and quiet are conducive to a feeling of serenity. Even temporary serenity is a nectar to be savored.
Serenity Now!
Is that a demand for another Firefly related film?
Fireflies is the name of a song too
That song is terrible, in my humble opinion.
Both can be true.

It is a demand for the Firefly series and that song is, indeed, terrible, smile
I agree, both are true wink
Surely some people like it?
I'm sure, based on the likes on the Youtube video
Can bots like YouTube vids? Perhaps we can ask the ones that show up here. It might improve relations after that Robotica thing.
Robotica would be pleased
But isn't pleasure an emotion experienced by inferior living organisms and not a facet of superior mechanical beings?
Surrender and be converted!
Honestly, I think Robotica may be behind all the BS we've been dealing with in our own universe here!
Speaking of, I've been mentioning Robotica in my fic recently wink
Hmmm... so GL noticed that Robotica are behind events here. The source of this is then found to be Robotica in Ibby's fiction, bleeding into our universe. Quick Ibby! write "and Bill Gates V decided to upgrade robotica's software to make them caring, fun robots."
IB continues to write: "And Elon Musk decides to retire from business and donate his fortune to NGOs. Oh, and Donald Trump, Kanye West, Vladimir Putin, Xi Jinping and Kim Jong-Un all voluntarily enter a mental institution..."
Be careful not to write yourself into the narrative, as Mr Morrison did. Unlike those jolly trips to DC Comics offices in Superman and the Justice League, Morrison, or The Writer, was brutally killed in an issue of Suicide Squad.
Hmmm... so GL noticed that Robotica are behind events here. The source of this is then found to be Robotica in Ibby's fiction, bleeding into our universe. Quick Ibby! write "and Bill Gates V decided to upgrade robotica's software to make them caring, fun robots."

"Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!"
Be careful not to write yourself into the narrative, as Mr Morrison did. Unlike those jolly trips to DC Comics offices in Superman and the Justice League, Morrison, or The Writer, was brutally killed in an issue of Suicide Squad.

I thought it was the Nasty Genie’s job to kill off posters
I'm....I mean, Nasty Genie... is broadening it's horizons.
Thoth… I mean Nasty Genie… is trying to diversify channels for torturing people
He tortures people by forcing them to listen to the fireflies song. smile
Listening to it long enough will kill ya!
"All this stuff will kill ya, it's all loaded with fun
Bikini girls with machine guns." - The Cramps
Butt cramps! - SpongeBob and Patrick
And here's the Supremes comment on the topic: Dr Goldfoot and his Bikini Machine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAwAqLAdt2E
I suppose a golden foot is not quite as painful as a golden member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_Powers_in_Goldmember
The man with the golden gun must feel as though he had a lucky escape.
Better losing a hand than that other one
And here I made do with flippers. Or wings, if you want to call them that. They have fingers, but still.
Flipping your fins you don’t get too far
Flip the grasshopper was Maya the bee's friend.
Flik was an ant
Whose aunt was Flik?
My friend, her name is Nina
Is Nina a ballerina?
With her friend Karenina
And Anna, too?
We could write volumes about their adventures
Why bother with volumes? Let's just write one big book, like War & Peace.
and if it is thick enough, we can use it to bludgeon bad people!
LOL. Starting with the AT&T execs who are slowly killing DC.

Like the 5YL omnis...

Like the 5YL omnis...

I'm saving those for the bonfire. wink angel
When I graduated high school, I burned many of my old notebooks. Specifically the ones involving Chinese literature. One lesson was: read a piece, memorize 200 vocabulary words for the piece (!!) and memorize 8-10 questions & answers about the piece.

MEMORIZE. try to answer in your "own words", you'd invariably miss part of the definition and get docked a ton of points

I was so exhausted by graduation... and I barely remember anything I studied in the last 4 years anyway. Most of the Chinese I retained was from the first 6 years out of 13
Cramming things into your mind over a short period, is counter produtive. From it all simply being dumped out of shrot term memory, thtrough burn out, to being reluctant to engage with teh subject in future.
wait, who are you again?

tongue

but indeed, and it also made me re;luctant to engage with anything regarding that school of mine too
I'm the person you agreed to give all your Venturian walking money to.

Yups. Not healthy education. Such things can impact years later in seemingly unrelated topics. Just the thought of having to take onboard lots of information, can be intimidating as memories of doing it on shorter timescales bubble away.
Yes, I’m a poor broken bird, though I’ve pushed past most of that early trauma smile
That's the spirit! Nothing a few life affirming experiences can't help with. Or electro shock therapy. Either way!
Or a few tortures devised by nasty genies smile
Life affirming for the nasty genie; life ending for the nasty genie's victims.
but hey, if it makes the genie happy...
... then they're less likely to end up as malevolent beings unleashed by Chuck 'n Lu.
No, though one could argue that bumbling genie types are even more dangerous

“No, I asked you to make me a pancake, not turn me into one!”
With his face-lifts and his receding hairline, Billy Crystal looks like a talking pancake.
He can join the talking parrot initialed A.L.
In the Hall of Has-Been Entertainers.

On second thought, I can't remember ever being entertained by Adam Levine.
Yes, shrieking isn't very entertaining
But shrieking is a cool superpower for heroes and villains alike.
It hurts the ears!
Although a decent costume is a must, as Tyroc will be the first to tell you.
That's why he disappeared for so long wink
It wasn't much worse than Rokk's bustier or Imra's bikini really.
Or Gim's shorty shorts
So I've never really believed that they designed Tyroc to look as daft as possible as a protest to his back story or that it was a key reason why he was dropped.
Nah, that’s more believable of some 90s characters tongue
I've blotted out a lot of the 90s comics.
A lot of 90s comics are better than they seemed at the time.
Zero Hour had nice art
If nothing else. smile
I'm trying not to say anything bad today wink
My working day was such a shambles, I don't think I had a kind thought about anyone.
Sympathies and empathy, thoth. what's annoying about work is that we can't just up and leave when it gets awful.
Everyone else had no problem bunking off early, while I stayed on to fix a few things.
Tell me about it. I had an out of office saying I was sick with the flu, and still got 70 emails a day

hope your weekend is better, thothy. Merry Christmas!
I think some people think one of the Is in OOO stands for optional, and send it anyway. Others think that sending things 5 mins before holidays means they've cleared their bit, never mind the impact on others.
Yup. I mean there’s “delay delivery” for a reason…
I don't think anyone I work with knows that's even there. Besides, it's important they can clean their desk, rather than bothering about when you see it. Just spent another couple of hours clearing the thing that got sent to me yesterday.
"Why do they not delay? Oy vey!"
Yup. I mean there’s “delay delivery” for a reason…

I call it my rage delay smile
I've also been asked to work on a holiday, I replied pointing out the "ask" was not clear at all and sent 3 conjectures for what I was being asked to do...

well, that's all the work I did on the holiday, as it was not clear what had to be done wink
I hope we all got at least today off, and that all of Legion World is enjoying [insert name of whatever you prefer to call this day]
I second that. Happy holidays all!
Thirded! Happy Holidays, Legion Worlders. CalorieQueen
Happy holidays all smile
Happy Klordny!
Happy “get drunk with no consequences” day
There are always consequences.
Said the biting hangover that afflicted our YOLOer
Remember kids. Never Yoyo while drunk...oh wait, Yoloer...
Eh, yoyo, YOLOer, often interchangeable considering how some of them act
Book, comfy chair, tea, relaxed, cat...perfect...YOLO.
Kitty has sharp claws
Speaking of kitties, I haven't seen Cramey for a while. I miss her.
FatCramer
Meow
Teddy cat happily nommed turkey on the day. A day later, not interested. Mr fickle paws.
If Teddy is fickle, he might get on well with me. After all, I am affectionately known as Fickles.
Our neighbors' cat is standoffish when there's a big crowd, but when it's just us she really lets us pet her
If Teddy is fickle, he might get on well with me. After all, I am affectionately known as Fickles.

I'm sure you would be fast friends. Once you've agreed to being ruled by your feline overlord, and pander to his every whim. Standard cat agreement really.
A very satisfactory arrangement.
My family went to South Carolina for a couple days to visit family, and apparently the Air BnB they rented was near a forest full of cats.

Which would mate outside the house in the morning.
ROTFLMAO

"Get a room, you stupid cats!"

"Oh, wait, then they'd be even louder!"

"Never mind! And sorry I called you stupid"
Lock in a room for a year, come back to even more cats

Orkater a room full of dead cats
Ghosts of cats are even more terrifying.
BOO

Whizzy
Yay!
"Yay?"

confused
What, this was not inane one word posts thread?
No, it was not.
Oopsie poopsie
Not the inane rhyming thread either.
Whoopsie daisy
In high school I had an unrequited sapphic crush on a classmate whose first name was Daisy, although she preferred to go by her middle name, Alejandra.
There is an Alejandra living in my building
Where's she originally from?
Mexico
Okay, definitely not the same Alejandra I went to high school with.
nah smile
nah smile

Hopefully not TMK Jo Nah. smile
oh, that Gary Stu

https://www.alittlebithuman.com/who-is-gary-stu/
I recall the exposure got Mr Nah a spot in the Final Night event.
Hey, at least it's not the Mr. Nah from the Threeboot.... yeesh!
ugh, that one was hot garbage
I don't think I've read a lot of the three lot more than once. Was he more of a jerk than previous versions?
Oh, we cover that alot in the Threeboot reread thread... Yeah he was literally the worst version of that character. Maybe ANY character.
He absolutely was, highlights include telling Saturn Girl she was "hot for a fat chick", racing to punch Cos at super speed after Cos calls him a jerkwit, getting together with Imra and making Garth really mad, punching Cham when Cham shapeshifts as Jo to apologize... and generally being an arrogant fratboy

He also starts losing his mojo and powers when Supergirl shows up, and Supergirl has to feign weakness so Jo gets back to normal and Jo gloats about it...

a lot of this doesn't sound THAT bad, but he could totally have knocked Cos' head off when using his powers... and I prefer my heroes to be, eh, more respectable. have dealt with enough awful fratboys in my life, I don't want to read about them being on my favorite super team tongue
All of that does sound that bad. You'd think they would have just ultra-punted him from the team. But in the world of comics where emotionally stunted psychos are considered to be cool, the writers probably thought he was great.
I prefer my heroes to be, eh, more respectable. have dealt with enough awful fratboys in my life, I don't want to read about them being on my favorite super team tongue

Exactly right.

All of that does sound that bad. You'd think they would have just ultra-punted him from the team. But in the world of comics where emotionally stunted psychos are considered to be cool, the writers probably thought he was great.

I think where Waid was going here was "teenagers are emotional even without super powers. Let's see how they are when you add powers to the mix." I think the point with Jo was that he already had an attitude, superpowers that can do anything would amp that to 11, and to your point thoth, they wanted a "bad boy" on the team cause that was the style at the time. And all the characters were like that to a degree. The only thing that worked was the plotting and storytelling.

It was horrible to read then, and it still is 20 years later.
yup, there were few if any redeeming qualities to that version of Jo
The parallels with school bullies breaks down a bit when your class mate from Saturn can make him walk out into traffic or that exchange student can teleport him into the nearest mine.
The parallels with school bullies breaks down a bit when your class mate from Saturn can make him walk out into traffic or that exchange student can teleport him into the nearest mine.

Which is funny because early in the threeboot, Imra basically shuts Jo down mentally for trying to attack Garth, which is exactly what she DOESN'T do in Legion Lost.

:nonono:

I've fantasized about doing just that tongue my revenge now though, is that my life is perfectly happy and I am arguably in a better place than they are
I've felt for a long time that there are parallels with school bullies in Keith Giffen's attitude towards superheroes and superhero fans.
I wonder if he got bullied by someone who resembled Karate Kid.
No, he got bullied by Karate Kid's creator: Jim Shooter.
That's some revenge there!
"Revenge is a dish best served cold."

- Quote attributed to Eugene Sue
ooof - Is that actually true? I know Shooter is a dick to the people he works with from all accounts. I didn't know if those two ever worked together.

It really explains his bloodlust for Val.
ooof - Is that actually true? I know Shooter is a dick to the people he works with from all accounts. I didn't know if those two ever worked together.

It really explains his bloodlust for Val.

Yes, Giffen worked on Defenders, Micronauts, Jack of Hearts, and other odds and sods for Marvel while Shooter was there, initially as associate editor and later as EiC.
Man, so much back office drama, even in comics.

Given what we know of all the weirdess about Zero Hour and what came after, it would be interesting for someone to write a chronicle of all that happened from then until now. But I'm sure most of the people involved wouldn't talk about it - I think they'd avoid throwing folks under the bus who are still alive or in the industry today, if they even remember any of the details at all.
I'd love to see a behind-the-scenes tell-all about DC during the Jennette Kahn Era. Sean Howe wrote a pretty good one about Marvel, with lots of choice bits about Jim Shooter.
Gossip can be fun!
I'd love to see a behind-the-scenes tell-all about DC during the Jennette Kahn Era. Sean Howe wrote a pretty good one about Marvel, with lots of choice bits about Jim Shooter.

I'm surprised - I guess some folks don't give a f* about Shooter's reach, but some do. I know that after Perez' death, an essay about the infamous JL/Avengers crossover written by KC Carlson was finally released, and I think the timing of when it was released was no coincidence. I think the same is true for some who have been involved in the Legion over the last 25 years, and folks, even those who are not actively involved in the craft, are sensitive to people's opinions who still are.
25 years is a long time!
I just read the KC Carlson article that GL mentioned (it's at the Comics Beat website.) And...I don't know, it seems unfairly biased against Shooter. I'm not saying that Shooter should not shoulder a large part of the blame, but so should Giordano. I have suspected in recent years that his teddy-bear demeanor hid a passive-aggressive streak that caused a lot of problems. That's part of the reason I'd be interested in a tell-all book about that era.
25 years is a long time!

I just read the KC Carlson article that GL mentioned (it's at the Comics Beat website.) And...I don't know, it seems unfairly biased against Shooter. I'm not saying that Shooter should not shoulder a large part of the blame, but so should Giordano. I have suspected in recent years that his teddy-bear demeanor hid a passive-aggressive streak that caused a lot of problems. That's part of the reason I'd be interested in a tell-all book about that era.

Indeed. But those feelings and attitudes are still there. I once asked for a commission from an artist that had a certain character addressing a certain creator and was politely declined due to (essentially) interpersonal/industry politics. I think a lot of folks still aren't willing to talk, so whomever is up to this task needs to be able to get accurate dirt and not care about the daggers that will be thrown at them.
memories last forever!
Unless you are forgetful
or get amnesia
In an old Huey, Dewey, and Louie Junior Woodchucks story, the boys actually cheer when the villain becomes an amnesiac, and they leave him in that state. Very compassionate, those ducklings.

No wonder my generation turned out so messed up, reading stories like that.
Louie was a scam artist type in the Reboot, while Huey was super uptight, and Dewey wanted fame
I picked up a special edition of Silent Running a few months ago, where the robots are Huey, Louie, and Dewey. As it's a bit of a sad film, I've yet to watch it.
I love the song Silent Running by Mike and the Mechanics. Paul Carrack's lead vocals are outstanding.

https://youtu.be/Ddi2TBnzdPo
I work with a guy named Mike
Mike Grell drew the Legion issue with the death of the Preboot Lyle Norg.
Alas poor Lyle...

SW6 helped Lyle become prominent again, and the Reboot really helped him take off
Yeah, I like Postboot Lyle very much. Love the rivalry between him and Brainiac 5.
There were times in the early Reboot, I worried he'd become too much like TMK Jo. But the writers gave him some hang-ups, without making him too capable, so he managed to avoid that
Good point well taken. There are few things in comics that annoy me more than a Gary Stu. It's amazing in retrospect how many pitfalls the Postboot avoided. At least in its early years.
Postboot writer Dan Abnett still pops up in 2000AD.
Dan Abnett's ex-collaborator Andy Lanning is also a talented inker. No one makes Phil Jimenez's pencil art look better than Lanning. He also did a great job inking the pencil art of Postboot Legion artist Olivier Coipel.
I found that quite a treat, that Andy both writes and inks
I'm sure I mentioned this in my re-read last year (or was it two years ago at this point?), I was never a fan of the Coipel/Lanning pairing, as the inks were much MUCH to heavy for my tastes. Granted that LotD was his initial foray into comics, it REALLY turned me off, and unfortunately I don't think Coipel was drawing to my taste until the end of his run.
LoTD was a bit heavy for me too. I like how they got a bit less heavy during Legion Lost. and by the team the Legion rolled around, I think the art had evolved very nicely
It totally did evolve for the better. I guess for me personally, it became more smooth and less scratchy, to the point where I became enthusiastic about Coipel's art, at the end of his run. Which is too bad, as I'd really have liked to see him do the Legion in his refined style.
While I think you guys make perfectly valid criticisms, I also think the art's rough edges and looseness were well-suited to LOTD and LLost. And the battle in LLost 10 between the Progeny fleet and the most powerful heroes is, in my opinion, breathtaking in its grandiosity.
I agree that Damned was meant to be very bleak, and Lost was too.
Like Fickles, I found the rough, scratchy look worked well for the story. It gave the cast a certain nervous energy adding to scenes such as Cham hiding out to the dynamism of the blighty's attacks. It also added a certain grittiness to a UP fallen on tough times.

I think it took a scene or so to get used to it though.

Had they relaunched with that storyline, I'd have kept reading DnA's run. As it was, I wasn't hooked on the #1 when it did come around to pick it up.
While I think you guys make perfectly valid criticisms, I also think the art's rough edges and looseness were well-suited to LOTD and LLost. And the battle in LLost 10 between the Progeny fleet and the most powerful heroes is, in my opinion, breathtaking in its grandiosity.

Like Fickles, I found the rough, scratchy look worked well for the story. It gave the cast a certain nervous energy adding to scenes such as Cham hiding out to the dynamism of the blighty's attacks. It also added a certain grittiness to a UP fallen on tough times.

I think it took a scene or so to get used to it though.

Had they relaunched with that storyline, I'd have kept reading DnA's run. As it was, I wasn't hooked on the #1 when it did come around to pick it up.

I totally understand the approach of the art depicting the mood of the story. But to me it was borderline incomprehensible - but that was just my own taste, of course. I much preferred what came before, as well as the artist that drew the Widening Rifts story.

I agree that Damned was meant to be very bleak, and Lost was too.

This is my other problem. The tone of the team's story stayed bleak for two+ years, as I've said before.

But people apparently dug it. what the F* do I know, I'm just a fan. smirk laugh
Well, I only liked it up to a point. Like I said in my DnA poll thread, the wheels were already coming off by the time of Legion Worlds. The relaunch looked great, but I agree with Thoth that the scripting was not engaging enough to sustain interest. I forget whether I said DnA should have left after LLost or after Legion Worlds.

EDIT: I just checked. I said after LLost. That's how I still feel today.
I think if I could go back and adjust my vote, I'd probably change it to that as well, or to after Legion Worlds.
I think Dream Crime was around the time I felt the series was losing its luster. Not because of the art, Batista’s art was gorgeous. I think it was more the lack of any real emotional payoff to the stories
Yes, I was always curious about the timing there - yet another thing to discuss in a post-crisis behind-the-scenes tale of the Legion.

McAvennie sacked the OG Reboot team in favor of Abnett, Lanning and Coipel. Then McAvennie gets fired himself around issue 14-15 of The Legion, and Coipel leaves at around the same time. And you're right, Ibby - the book kind of goes listless. Dream Crime was OK. Same with Foundations.

It may have been a contract thing, as DnA probably should have gone out with McAvennie, but writers are typically on contract while McAvennie was definitely let go from DC.
GL, I think you should write a behind-the-scenes tell-all about the Legion from 1989 to 2004. It doesn't necessarily have to be a published book. You could do the whole thing in a single Legion Forum thread.
I'd love to do that, even do something self published. I just need time and motivation. smile

The other thing I've found is that some of these creators are rather prickly when challenged (which I get). I asked a question to a writer recently and received a lengthy answer to what I thought was a basic question that was a bit on the terse side. smile

So between that and people not willing to throw others under the bus, I need to bone up on investigative journalism techniques. My youngest is working for her HS newspaper and is in journalism class. Maybe I should ask her. laugh
I can relate, sometimes I find myself getting prickly at what, to the asker, seems like an innocent question
Yep, I was asking someone with a much broader industry perspective a more fannish question and I can see how that could be annoying. And its one that he probably has fielded dozens of times.

I get the same way when I hear certain comments about my industry from folks who aren't on the inside.
My annoyance comes mainly from nosey friends and relatives tongue
My annoyance at the minute comes from having wiped the wordle score on this device while trying to help with someone else's problem. Esp. as I knew clearing some device data would make zero difference.
That happened to me today - my streak reset for no reason.
frown that is indeed annoying.
Back at work this morning since Festivus Day. That was my full first week off since March, and boy did I need that. But having been away for a little while, I was more aware of the place settling back round me. And not in an altogether good way. Some old annoyances tried to trigger, but I ignored them.
I've also become less enchanted with work since coming back from the holidays
And the longer you take off the more it sucks coming back. tongue
I think if I'd been away for more than a week, I'd have forgotten what it is I do. Fortunately I'm not a surgeon, so my settling back in period doesn't come with a body count. smile
That's also what my old team used to joke about. "At least if we get it wrong, nobody will die or be horribly maimed" smile
Sadly said on a team night out, driving the worng way on a one way street... smile
but at least it wasn't because of our job function!

oh wait, I forgot I was speaking with a team of Uber drivers...
It's important to take a step back for a breath, to help prevent something going wrong. For example, the umpteen things that have just landed with me, are being offset with me boiling the kettle and typing this.
Tea is great for getting oneself centered, and firing one up to tackle on all the annoying extra work one is given!
We typically make the iced variety with a very specific recipe in my household.
It's important to take a step back for a breath, to help prevent something going wrong. For example, the umpteen things that have just landed with me, are being offset with me boiling the kettle and typing this.

Thoth speaks the truth!

Fickles speaks Marvel Universe Pseudo-Shakespeare!
Verily, thou dothest!
We typically make the iced variety with a very specific recipe in my household.

mmm iced tea

I grew up with very sweet iced tea
My wife is from the Carolinas, so the tea is always sweet. laugh
Verily, thou dothest!

Ay, tis becoming a lost art. I must do all in my power to preserve the sublime essence of purple prose.
Purple was the main color of a company I used to work for
Tough gig, working for the Emperor of Rome.
Or being Prince
Or being responsible for the upkeep of Hendrix's Purple Haze.
Haze is a character in Harbinger’s Legion Worlds fic
I had a Haze in one of my old RPG games. Catching up on Harbi's cool stuff is on my LW to do list.
I don't care what anyone says, Little Wing is Jimi Hendrix's best song.
The duckling has little wings
I don't care what anyone says, Little Wing is Jimi Hendrix's best song.

Hmmm...if it's strictly songs that he wrote himself, then I'd agree. But his cover of Bob Dylan's All Along the Watchtower is my personal favorite Jimi Hendrix recording.
The Watchtower is a feature in one of the games I play
The Watchtower is a feature in one of the games I play

Watchtower Magazine Distributer Sim is a very niche game, but immersive.smile
Sim is a surname of some people I knew back in the Philippines
I'll share that with my neighbours, Mr and Mrs Gaming-Console. smile
They're lovely, tough Mr. and Mrs. Computer don't like them a lot for some reason!
I don't like to gossip, but the Computers' operating system could do with an update.
They need a reboot
They aren't getting our Reboot!
No, our Reboot is only ours!
Despite repeated escape attempts.
This is a job for Scott Free, Mister Miracle
I'd like to be able to get away with things scott free.
If a criminal from Aberdeen is released from prison, does that make him Scot Free?
Can Queen Bee capture Mr. Miracle, and turn him into Scott Bee?

Does Mr. miracle charge a Scott Fee for his appearances?
Mr Miracle's endless talking confrontation with Secular Sal, may have been a sales disaster sparking the DC Implosion. But it did provide inspiration to a young Mr Bendis.
That was quite the debate... stretching across 678 issues... but Gold Lantern's origin story still took longer!
It did. But no one can argue that it wasn't simply the most amazing origin that we couldn't believe, when it finally got here.
And it was confusing at first, but it all made perfect sense once we reread it from beginning to end!
It took so long to read, that I started reading, then instructed my descendants to keep reading. I then invented a time machine and went forward 1000 years. They were still reading. But the solar powered insect race that followed humanity a million years from now managed to tell me how it worked out. They had still being reading Bendis' issues, but had got lucky with their own time travel.
Reading Gold Lantern’s origin is what keeps the Time Trapper from being bored at the end of time
At the end of time, when Death collects the Time Trapper, the last words before the final darkness are "Maybe Bendis will finish it in the next universe. We could do a Galactus and find out."
And at the dawn of time, when the big cosmic hand extends itself to create the universe, it will say: come forth, my dear Bendis, and continue your Gold Lantern origin story!
I'm quickly checking if the hand at the dawn of creation is wearing a Lantern ring!
A Gold Lantern ring, specifically? smile
In brightest day, in darkest night, all that glitters shall play tricks on your sight. Let those who give you fool's gold (BENDIS) beware the Wrath of Fandom alight.
Gold Lantern is still the greatest ever! :rolleyes:
Yes, but the greatest what? The greatest failure of Bendis's long and checkered career? wink angel
"And the Golden Globe for Most overhyped character with little payoff goes to...."

"GOLD LANTERN"

<Jamm moves up and steals the microphone from a stunned Gold Lantern>
"And the Golden Globe for Most overhyped character with little payoff goes to...."

"GOLD LANTERN"

<Jamm moves up and steals the microphone from a stunned Gold Lantern>

LOL

Jamm is so misunderstood. NOT.
Jamm: now Gold Lantern, you good but imma be real, TMK Ultra Boy was the best!
Jamm: now Gold Lantern, you good but imma be real, TMK Ultra Boy was the best!

No, the best was Kono!
Koko disagrees!
Koko! Koko! Koko! Koko!
Well yes Koko. That plan will enable us to dig an escape tunnel. But where will we put the displaced earth?
Tenzil will eat it
Where does all the mass Tenzil eats actually go?
Tenzil will eat Koko? Well he is a chef in the reboot, I'm sure he has a good recipe...
Some say the best cocoa is processed with alkali. Aka "Dutch process." I think that depends on what you're using it for, though.
Where does all the mass Tenzil eats actually go?
Into an other dimension which is also the source of the energy that some other members such as the lightning twins exhibit. A little known "fact" is that if the Bismolites ever went extinct all the other powered individuals would soon run dry.
Every time a Bismollian farts, one less heroic deed can be done.
Wait I thought we were discussing monkey cuisine?
There might be monkeys on Bismoll.
I bet the Bismollian monkeys were poisonous to the Bismollians
I thought Bismollians only ate inanimate matter?
Yes, which is why they couldn't eat the Bismollian monkeys smile

disclaimer: am just being silly and having fun on this thread, as far as I know we've never seen any of the wildlife on Bismoll
Well, certainly we aren't saying that Tenzil would eat LIVE monkeys.

Right?

RIGHT?
I'm not SAYING that...
This thread is more fun than a barrel of monkeys!
Unless those monkeys are Gorilla Grodds
Well I can definitely see him eating the toy barrel of monkeys.

But I'm sure the larger variety would work also.
I still remember him biting Mekt's finger off in the Threeboot...
Although he didn't swallow it...
I wouldn't swallow that vile thing either smile
Gives a whole new approach to giving the finger.
Bonus points if it's still zapping electricity
Did he get the finger back?
In a little box,. yes
It's not commonly known, but Quislet was in fact piloted by Mekt Ranzz's finger, as it escaped it's own universe in search of adventure.
Quislet's voice was the finger quickly typing from within the ship onto a keyboard connected to a voice synthesiser.
That;s also why anything Quislet possessed was disintegrated. That was just Mekt being mean
Mekt is a complicated sentient.
Mekt's finger must have gone into the same universe as the retractable pens from Hitchhiker's Guide.
Not so sure about that GL. After all, Mekt's finger reappeared as Quislet. None of the pens, or odd socks, have been seen again.

Mind you, your theory does match legends that link this universe with the emergence of Argh!Yle!, the arch nemesis of Ambush Bug.
I believe that is the universe where 1/2 of all sock pairs go to die
Spare a thought for the socks left behind. Their partners and purpose have been taken from them. They are reduced to spending their remaining days at the bottom of the drawer, alone, and in the dark. They know their end is but a matter of time. Yet, when light shines into their drawer, there is that moment of hope. A remembrance of better, happier days. For a second, they are seen. A hand reaches out. But eyes, and hand move past to other socks. Socks with lives ahead of them. Socks as pairs. The darkness returns, with the fresh pain of being unwanted, overlooked and forgotten, joining so many sad memories.
- Excerpt from Forever Ambush
Several years ago while traveling I was at a Laundromat and while waiting looked up at the ceiling - to see it covered with socks (and a few other unmentionables) nailed to the ceiling. Obviously the Laundromat where Socks go to Die.
I'm more intrigued by the unmentionables. So, the upstairs neighbor flirted with me once. He offered to buy my unmentionables from me... apparently he and his husband had a thing for that.
And we've forgotten about the poor pens that have been forgotten. cry
My laptop bag is a refuge for forgotten pens
The pen is mightier than the sword. So you can just remind anyone who bothers you about the contents of your laptop bag.
"Have at thee, gossipy busybody!" and whack them on the head with a pen!
Ninja throwing pens with their even sharper nibs.
Deadly poison ink cartridges for rocket propelled fountain pens.
Colour based energy powers with the multi pen
All part of the arsenal of... The Stationer!
One could throw a laptop like a frisbee and cause a lot of damage. To the target and the laptop!
And have a whole bunch of people ducking too
Sadly Stationary Man ran into Howard the Duck, and tehre's no one better at ducking than Howard.
Howard the Duck's human partner, Beverly Switzer, was based on Mary Skrenes, a writer whom Steve Gerber -- Howard's creator -- was dating at the time.
There are some ducks outside our window now
Perhaps they'd quack up for some crackers.
Perhaps they'd quack up for some crackers.

I'll send you my bill for my treatment to get over your pun. smile
LOL.

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers, Thoth. smile
All water off a duck's back, Fickles. smile
Don’t egg her on!
You're right Ibby. I keep falling down when trying to discourage her.
oh no, don't go all to pieces when you fall, thothy!
I shall hold it together, as sure as my name is Humpty.
I like eggs. Especially poached eggs. I have the mostly perfect way of making them.
nice, it's not easy to poach eggs!

especially not from under nasty ostriches. friend of mine got kicked in the chest once'

also: happy birthday, thothy!

https://www.legionworld.net/forums/...p;Words=thoth&Search=true#Post798963
I like eggs, too. I find a well-made scramble to be just heavenly!
My daughter tells me that I beat the eggs too much when I scramble them. smile
I've been experimenting with adding milk to them while cooking
"Don't shoot until you see the whites of their eggs!"
- battlecry from the Dairy wars fought in rural England in the 1700s.
Not the eggs between their legs, I hope
Not to worry. It was conflict fought entirely by feuding milk maids who, as is widely recognised by leading historians, kept their eggs tucked under their bonnets.
I've been experimenting with adding milk to them while cooking

I do this as well, or heavy cream.
A little milk and a PInch of salt for me. Nothing fancy.
*sadly puts oregano and chives away*
Breakfast is usually something I do as quickly as possible so I get on with things. As few things involved as possible.
Breakfast for me is usually leftovers tongue
Nothing wrong with either approach.

I typically do a cooked breakfast for the family either Saturday or Sunday. And usually the eggs are poached. smile
The local landowner threatened to set the dogs on me, if I was caught trying to poach eggs on his land again.
My husband's idea of breakfast is usually two slices of bread and a piece of cheese tongue
The local landowner threatened to set the dogs on me, if I was caught trying to poach eggs on his land again.

That seems like a lot of effort to set up the stove & everything.
My husband's idea of breakfast is usually two slices of bread and a piece of cheese tongue

For a while, my kids would make cheese toast as breakfast or a snack. Basically nothing more than cheese on bread run through the toaster oven laugh
Sounds like it would be yummy with some ham

That seems like a lot of effort to set up the stove & everything.

They were hot dogs, and went nicely with the eggs.
Sounds like spam!
Don't spam this thread
Don't spam this thread

Wouldn't dream of it.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hwqlw
Don't spam my sushi
Don't sushi my spam!
Don't sashimi my sushi!
Well, I could go either way on that one, honestly. tongue laugh
Don't spaghetti my meatballs!
If all this food chat continues, you'll all get your just desserts.
Dark chocolate, I hope
Well, it's white chocolate. But if you eat it with the lights off, it will be dark.
Chocolate mousse
Chocolate moose
A very endangered species.
Very vulnerable to climate change
Or a sweet tooth
A Bismollian with a sweet tooth!
A Bismollian with a sweet tooth!

Did someone just mention me?

CalorieQueen
Hello!
Hello, Again!
I love the Cars, and the album with Hello Again -- Heartbeat City -- is my favorite.
I knew Ann would get it. smile
yay for shared pop culture references!
Sharing is caring.
Caring is cool!
Would a caring Polar Boy be too cool? Would being too cool interrupt his powers? Does he therefore have to be a bit of a git to compensate for this?
Cool can also mean dispassionate and emotionless tongue
Too cool for school!
Say the kids who got kicked out of school tongue
We don't need no education.
We don't need no thought control.
No dark sarcasm in the classroom.
Teacher, leave those kids alone.
Hey, Teacher, leave those kids alone!
All in all it's just another brick in the wall.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall.
I’m standing on some bricks now
Brix Smith was a major creative influence in The Fall.

The Brix Era is my favorite iteration of The Fall.

Brix's memoir is a good read.
I wish it were the fall again. Autumn is my favorite season.
I'm happy with winter and autumn. Spring is OK. I loathe summer.

The Brix Era is my favorite iteration of The Fall.

Brix's memoir is a good read.

Thanks for the recommendation Fickles. It is now on it's way to my abode.

While there are standouts in other eras of The Fall, the Brix era is when I first heard them, and the one I think is consistently the better too.
My abode is not made of adobe
I needed adobe to build my adobe abode, because the manual was a pdf.
Do you have an adobo recipe in adobe to cook in your adobe's kitchen?
Pretty much every Filipino has their own adobo recipe tongue
Burns night here on Wednesday. Fortunately veggie haggis is available.
Exxxxcellent....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XRJwJc6Yppo

A popular xxxx beer commercial.
There are three X's on the flag of Amsterdam
Dos Equis only registers two....
Only one X is needed to mark the spot on a treasure map.
But sometimes multiple exes need to be turned to find the map
When I lived in Brisbane I often drove right past the XXXX brewery by the river. you Could smell the yeast from a long way off.
ah that tempting smell of yeast...
Depending on the wind, the smell of a fast food place is present when getting off the train here.
I smell weed outside my window
Is there a doctor around?

DoctorMayavale
Have two, from the Thompson Twins

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=APyl6Cnbfzw
Doctor Demento
Mister Roboto
Kilroy was here!

Not to be confused with Houseroy. He was also here, and tidied up some golden age continuity.
Also not to be confused with Liferoy, who was rehearsing for the next comic book resurrection
Has Peter Parker's uncle came back from the dead yet?
Along with Martha and Thomas Wayne
WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?
MARTHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So I had this idea for a parody featuring Superman almost being defeated by Icycle until he says something about "Ma(h) Kent."
Icycle....Icycle
I want to ride my Icycle
But it's painful, weird and a bit melty
oh, not "muh granbabies"? tongue
I suppose one could ride on the big ones
You could. But how far are you likely to get in summer?
Not very, I would probably melt from the sun by then
Who was that masked puddle?
It was licked up by a masked poodle.
Our border collie lacks the usual white stripe between his eyes so he looks a bit like he is wearing a black mask. The people who raised him as a pup nicknamed him Zorro.
Young Bruce Wayne raced over to pet Zorro. He turned his head back only to find a crowd of artists around his suddenly dead parents, pencilling secret origin retcons.

From that day, Bruce dedicated himself to become... The Critic! Assisted by Zorro in his new secret ID as.... Savage Review!
LesterSpiffany
That time Spiffany found online forums.
And called everyone stupid
Sadly Spiffany saw vids of Dirk cruelly rejecting applicants, and thought that was the persoanlity to go with.
It was a twisted downfall. Dirk could not resist being wined and dined by Spiffany... the combination of drugs and drink was disastrous, and in the morning two burned out bodies (literally and figuratively) were found...
The pressures of being a hero. Or a Spiffany.
It's not easy to be disgustingly, insanely rich.
Not easy, no. I'd definitely like more practice being that.
Maybe some rich old couple could help us practice
I have this as an Ibby win!
Egads, so it is! thanks for calling it, thothy!
© Legion World