Legion World
Welcome to......

Kill This Thread XLIX

The following rules were established by Kent Shakespeare at the start of the first 24-hour version, adapted from the original rules by EDE:

The rules:

1. The Basic Idea: Post to this thread, if no one posts after you for 24 hours, you win!

2. Posts that are not direct responses to one of the five preceding posts are ineligible to win. The topic can drift, but no complete non-sequitors. Posts that are responses to non-sequitors are also ineligible to win. Posts that are responses to responses to non-sequitors, and response nses to those posts, etc., become eligible, however.

3. In the event that this thread is locked, there shall be no winner unless a new thread is started for the contest. Furthermore, any post that results in the banning of the poster shall also be ineligible to win.

4. So, more precisely, one wins if one makes a post, and then no one makes another post that's eligible to win for 24 hours.

Here's a history of our various felons, along with a few missed opportunities.....

I - walkwithcrowds (7-day version)
II - none
III - none
IV - Quislet, Esq
V - Rockhopper Lad (the first 24-hour version)
VI - Rockhopper Lad
VII - cleome
VIII - Rockhopper Lad
IX - Rockhopper Lad
X - none
XI - none
XII - none
XIII - Invisible Brainiac
XIV - Invisible Brainiac
XV - Invisible Brainiac
XVI - Invisible Brainiac
XVII - Invisible Brainiac
XVIII - cleome
XIX - cleome
XX - cleome
XXI - Jfposey
XXII - Invisible Brainiac
XXIII - jfposey
XIV - Invisible Brainiac
XV - PALADIN (eff YEAH!!!)
XVI- Quislet, Esq.
XVII - Invisible Brainiac
XVIII - none
XIX - none
XX - Quislet, Esq.
XXI - thoth lad
XXII - Ann Hebistand
XXIII - Quislet, Esq.
XXIV - Invisible Brainiac
XXV - Invisible Brainiac
XXVI - Quislet, Esq.
XXVII - thoth lad
XXVIII - Quislet, Esq.
XXIX - Eryk Davis Ester
XXX - Invisible Brainiac
XXXI - Invisible Brainiac
XXXII - Ann Hebistand
XXXIII - Invisible Brainiac
XXXIV - Invisible Brainiac
XXXV - none
XXXVI - thoth lad
XXXVII - Ann Hebistand
XXXVIII - Invisible Brainiac
XXXIX - thoth Lad
XL - Invisible Brainiac
XLI - thoth lad
XLII - Ann Hebistand
XLIII - thoth lad
XLIV - thoth lad
XLV - Ann Hebistand
XLVI - Invisible Brainiac
XLVII - Invisible Brainiac
XLVIII - Invisible Brainiac
49 threads, counting this current one. Wow!

Let's kill this one quick, so we can get to the special 50th one!

EmeraldEmpress Caress Flare Persuader Mentalla
It's gonna be a mega-thread-killing!!
Will the 50th have:-

Foil Cover
25 slightly different themed editions that you ahve to kill all of
Poly Bagged
Be the last one, before we return for a collector's edition #1
And ONE panel advancing Gold Lantern's awesome origin!
In golden day, in brownish night,
No origin shall Bendis write
Let those who thought maybe he might
Finally see the *#*^$$(^$ light
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
And ONE panel advancing Gold Lantern's awesome origin!
More than one panel, would be too much for our minds to take!

Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
In golden day, in brownish night,
No origin shall Bendis write
Let those who thought maybe he might
Finally see the *#*^$$(^$ light

smile
That's hilarious Ann! Well done!
hahahaha I love it, Annfie, what a great rhyme!
I skip all the captions where Etrigan speaks in rhyme.
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

I skip all the captions where Azrael sobs.
LOL

Yeah it just gets me that people were all in on him because he did ONE good run of something YEARS ago and don't critique anything else he does.
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Ugh, he was sooooo annoying. I'm kinda glad his story went nowhere, but how I wish he had been the one to die in COIE instead of Kole!
Originally Posted by Gaseous Lad
LOL

Yeah it just gets me that people were all in on him because he did ONE good run of something YEARS ago and don't critique anything else he does.

I hear ya, GL. Bendis's writing has been insipid and complacent for the better part of 20 years.
the Gold Lantern hyping up also violated the "show, don't tell" rule

That's at least a year's worth of Titans issues.

Wolfman can't recall what the origin was going to be. However, that didn't stop there being a Perez-drawn panel in the History of the DC Universe, relating to his origin.

LOL

I hear ya, GL. Bendis's writing has been insipid and complacent for the better part of 20 years.

I tripped across something of his the other week. Needless to say it was a page with 20 panels, each with a character head, all continuing the same thought/sentence. Surely, an editor at some point, somewhere along the way would have had a word.

the Gold Lantern hyping up also violated the "show, don't tell" rule
I think we had to be told, as being shown would just be *too* awesome for us to cope with.
The comic book would have spontaneously combusted due to Gold Lantern's amazing, uncanny, fantastic, super-awesomeness!
It would. It would take a near endless succession of character heads, revealing some of that origin to us word by word to build us up for such awesomeness. Fortunately, such a writer exists! Step forward Bendis Boy! Your power of decompression, will make the awesomeness bearable! (unlike the rest of the plot)
You will be blinded by mindless dialogue!
Is that worse than being blinded by science?
It's worse than aliens eating your Buick.
I wonder if anyone has ever attempted to explain the Bendis each-character=says-one-word-of-a-sentence phenomenon

is there always a telepath mind-linking them?

are their personalities just that interchangeable?
What
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
It's worse than aliens eating your Buick.

He gave up eating Buicks. Cadillacs and Lincoln's too.
Mercurys and Subarus

'Cause the man from Mars is through with cars
He's joined the JLA, and fights Sea stars.

He'll fight Desperos, Kanjar Ros, Amazos
And when there's no more foes
The man from Mars eats Oreos

Crate by Crate
Pack by Pack
He's gonna eat 'em all
Rapture
Be Pure
I wonder if anyone has ever attempted to explain the Bendis each-character=says-one-word-of-a-sentence phenomenon

is there always a telepath mind-linking them?

are their personalities just that interchangeable?
I remember reading a quote from him that when he was given the Ultimate Spider-Man gig he hung around a high school corridor (with the school's permission) and listened to teens excitedly talking to one another. That was what he used as the basis of his Spider-man stuff - and then I guess he never stopped.

In my own opinion what he heard wasn't kids finishing each others sentences so much as rudely interrupting each other to grab the attention. I was a teen once and yeah when excited you can forget to let someone finish, but is that a good thing? And all the time?
very insightful explanation, stile. The "interrupting each other" makes much more sense.

And yes, I agree it is realistic...

... but I also find it hampering.

I mean, I don't read comic books for pure realism, you know? super powers, time travel, colorful costumes... yeah, MY typical high school experience!
I've come to despise psuedo-realism in superhero comics.

Nothing against people who like it, but it's one of the main reasons I don't read many of them anymore.
In the end, I just want my comics to be fun!
A bad time for me to launch All-Fun Pseudorealism Monthly.
Hyper realism and dark angst ARE my ideas of fun.

laugh
I can definitely see the hyper realism in your fic wink tongue
Hyper realism turns me into a hyper reader, so I'm too fidgety to finish any of it.
I can definitely see the hyper realism in your fic wink tongue

Emphasis on the Hyper. laugh
stop running around like that!!! tongue
I was a fan of Hypertime, even though Morrison & Waid temporarily left DC before it could be fully implemented.
Too much sugar in my diet! laugh
Sugary drinks were one of the first things I cut out of mine, when I first started getting fitter
Sugary drinks were a treat for me growing up, so no real hardship in giving them up.
My family was very unhealthy. Sugary drinks multiple times a week at dinner... frown
I need to get back on that healthy train, like seriously.
COVID did a number on me for that. no gym, no pools, I hate running, lots of time with nothing to do...
Yep, I theoretically have everything I need to get back into it - a home gym area, enough space outside to do yard work and walk around.

The problem is I have a kitchen and a bar laugh
You could bar yourself from the bar.
But how would he practice law if he's barred from the bar?
Eh, what's one less lawyer?

(That was a joke.)
And the answer is the difference between the Atom set in Ivy Town and the Atom set in a South American jungle.
The problem is I'm barred TO the bar. (LOL just kidding!)
Wow, that was a high bar to clear
The old William Shakespeare joke expresses surprise at him dying following a drinking session, as he was known to be bard.
Siobhan Fahey was my least favorite member of Bananarama, so I shed no tears when Shakespeare's Sister self-destructed.
Shakespeare was a hack anyways.
"Somebody, please, get us a hack!"

- Attributed to Groucho Marx
A hack writer?
Hacking cough?
An axe to hack through the bushes?
A hack writer.

Most likely he was being sarcastic. Like many comedians, he and his brothers hated working with writers.
It could be all three as one!
Like a Carggite!

Triad
If you find yourself alone and bored, it's fun to do childish things, like saying "CARGG-G-G-G-GUH" in a silly voice.
I like doing some of these silly things with my husband smile
I'm basically 12 mentally, so I annoy everyone around me with stupid noises
GL, are you familiar with the TV show "The Young Ones?"

And if so, do you remember Alexei Sayle's song "Just Make Stupid Noises?"
I am, but I couldn't tell you anything about it. I know I watched it back in college, but have only vague remembrances of it laugh
One memory refresher, coming right up:

Well remembered Fickles. Sayle has done 4 series of Alexei Sayle's Imaginary Sandwich Bar, on the radio. It's pretty good and probably available on some BBC podcast thing.

He's also done a thing where he goes on trains and...talks to people. While no doubt an interesting snapshot into the lives the editor thinks are interesting, it's considered treason in Britain to talk to people on public transport. It's only a matter of time before he's caught and rightly punished.
Thoth, thanks for telling me about Imaginary Sandwich Bar.

And it'd be much more pleasant taking public transport if the rest of the world adopted Britain's approach.
There's an article floating around about "how people can tell you're an American" and that kind of behavior is on that list.
Small talk is indeed very American, at least based on my work experience.

Colleagues from other cultures tend to keep it to "how are you", with a short answer about their day. My American colleagues tend to take much more time with the small talk.

there are exceptions, of course.

and I can say that there are other cultures that also like to make small talk.
One of my funnest memories from train commuting is one morning where I was reading a comic and gradually became aware of spoken sounds in the background like "Wham", "Bang", "Boom". Coming out of my comic induced alternative reality I saw a teenage high school student in uniform grinning at me. I grinned back and promptly went back to my reading. If I had it over again the only thing I would do different is offer to let him read the comic. No new readers without sharing the love.
That was wholesome!
Originally Posted by stile86
One of my funnest memories from train commuting is one morning where I was reading a comic and gradually became aware of spoken sounds in the background like "Wham", "Bang", "Boom". Coming out of my comic induced alternative reality I saw a teenage high school student in uniform grinning at me. I grinned back and promptly went back to my reading. If I had it over again the only thing I would do different is offer to let him read the comic. No new readers without sharing the love.

Let him read it?! And potentially diminish the value?! He can look at it when it's slabbed and not a moment before! smile
stile could have held the comic in front of the teen's face and turned the pages VERY carefully

far enough away that no exhalation or spit could accidentally soil that fine comic book's pages
WHILE WEARING GLOVES!
And using tweezers to turn the pages!
The way I look after my comics he could do pretty much whatever as long as he didn't rip it apart.
Eat pepperoni pizza without napkins while reading?
Pepperoni pizza is my favorite.

Yum.
I'm more of a ground beef and sausage guy myself

and bell peppers, onions and mushrooms too, please!
I love mushrooms. drool
we're making chicken in mushroom sauce tonight smile
Mushrooms= Ewwwwwwww
None for you!
More for me! CalorieQueen
thoth Lad escapes the results of the Legion World mushroom plague....

[Linked Image from d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net]
I like a little bit of mushrooms at any given time. I tried to make those Shiitake mushroom burgers, and it was just too much for me.

Sauteed mushrooms as part of a protein dish or on a pizza? Yes please!
they go exceptionally well with meat!
They certainly do! It's like double the pleasure!
A delightful synthesis!
I eat mushrooms, then I play Super Mario Brothers.

Where I eat mushrooms.
I love the character designs in Super Mario Brothers. Some of them are very cute.
Playing Mario Bros helped me with my hand-eye coordination!
I know so little about Mario, I struggled with a crossword clue on it last week.
But thoth, it's-a-Mario!
If-a-you say so, but means little to me.
Viva Italia, even if-a our fake accents are-a cheesy. It's-a all in fun.
I find SA Green Lantern comics are 30% funnier if you imagine Sinestro speaking with a cheesy Italian accent!
and the hand gestures!
And-a the oregano!
The secret of the Sinestro power ring revealed! Twist it left and it's an oregano dispenser. It's also made of a lovely after dinner cheese that replenishes from it's central battery. A battery that also bakes lovely bread.
The advanced version has three settings: Oregano, garlic and Parmesan. If you're a true master, you can dispense all at once in just the right amounts.
getting to the next level adds basil to the mix
The advanced version has three settings: Oregano, garlic and Parmesan. If you're a true master, you can dispense all at once in just the right amounts.

I remember the multi page tribute to Geoff Johns in a DC comic, for thinking along those lines.
The problem was, he ended up being late, so in haste, a bunch of anchovies were dumped out, in the end satisfying nobody.
Anchovies, not a fan. too salty.
Always good to keep an eye on salt intake in the world of fast, processed food.
so much excess salt in most packaged foods
Also in the sea!
but not in the icebergs!
Although salt added to iceberg lettuce is quite nice.
Along with some vinegar
There's an old British folk song that goes, "Fish and chips and vinegar, vinegar, vinegar, vinegar..."
My local fish and chip shop is getting a refurb. I was passing the other day, and fancied some chips. The swing doors were open and the counter was gone. I can only hope this doesn't mean they're changing the oil. That's been there since I was a kid.
Originally Posted by thoth lad
My local fish and chip shop is getting a refurb. I was passing the other day, and fancied some chips. The swing doors were open and the counter was gone. I can only hope this doesn't mean they're changing the oil. That's been there since I was a kid.

Yeah... sigh

I read an article about this a few months ago, in the Guardian. What Thoth just described is happening all over Britain.

Traditionally made fish & chips should never go out of style!
I know a person who has his entire outlook shaped by what the Grauniad (open uk joke based on their terrible spelling) tells him. Anything out with that view is automatically wrong. A bit sad. Also an indicator that people were polarised by newsprint before social media was a thing.
My outlook is informed by a variety of views, of which the Guardian is only one. But, yes, I do know people like the one you just described. I'll even admit to having been dogmatic myself in my misspent youth, almost like a female version of Rik from The Young Ones.
Close-minded people make me angry. although I should pity them instead.
Close-minded people make me angry. although I should pity them instead.

And no matter which political extreme they favor, they are all equally harmful to society. It's so absurd, it would be funny if it wasn't for the very real damage they cause.
sad but true.
sad but true.

A phrase which is also the title of a song by Metallica, whom I consider the most overrated of all the heavy metal bands. That they've achieved such levels of critical and commercial success makes me...well...sad.
I'm not familiar enough with them to comment - all I know is their name smile and maybe I've heard a song or two of theirs, without knowing it is theirs
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if you've heard "Enter Sandman" at least a hundred times, just like billions of people around the world.
"Wherever I May Roam" was my high school class song.

I suppose it could be a lot worse, but it could be a lot better as well.
My first personal anthem was Savage Garden's "Hold Me". (and also Affirmation)

Then I added The Calling's "Our Lives".

Now I also have Walk the Moon's "Timebomb". and Carly Rae Jepsen's "Cut to the Feeling".

also a shout out to the Glee cast's "Don't Stop Believin' " (Regionals version).
"Don't Stop Believin'".

Hee hee hee hee hee ha ha ha ha ha

EmeraldEmpress

https://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=920911#Post920911
LOL
Lol Creme was a member of 10cc, Godley & Creme and The Art of Noise.
^^Also most recently in The Producers/The Trevor Horn Band with Trevor Horn and Chris Braide!
"Creme de la creme" is one of my favorite expressions.
Sometimes, it's good to see a phrase in context. For example, Legion World is the creme de la crème of message boards (and more).
Very much agree!
And I'll third that sentiment!
Its like creme fresh!
And not cream sour!
Agreed, although sour cream donuts can be delicious when made right (FTR, the donut isn't filled with sour cream -- instead, the sour cream is folded into the dough mixture.)
ooh yummy. and better than just slathering them with sour cream for sure
A donut van is now a regular in our town centre, with the poorest selection, and amongst the worst tasting donuts I can recall having. All for supporting local business, but I have found a limit.
This is true - a well made sour cream donut is a GOOD THING
An excellent thing
I remember hearing that The Thing was getting a title and for a moment thinking it would be the one from the horror movie, before I remembered the Fantastic,Four.
The Thing horror movie has become so iconic that it's hard to imagine today how out of step with the times it was in 1982, and how it was looked at like a complete failure. The special effects arguably look better today than the digital crap that replaced them.
Don't know if anyone watched the last season of True Detective, but they had an amazing homage to the iconic poster from The Thing (the one with the man in parka with a light beaming out of the hood)
I haven't, but i might just Google it!
I think you can see it here:

https://blogger.googleusercontent.c...Q4ewJRqBBpTk-0AmH6WLH/s1800/IMG_3397.JPG
oooh thanks for sharing! nice art
Detective: All right! Who done it?
Suspect 1:I did!
Suspect 2: I did!
Suspect 3: I did!
Detective: You can't all have done it!
Suspects: Well, we are an alien hive mind...

The Thing meets True Detective.
Does this mean we all have killed this thread together?
Did we? Let's see...comics hive-minds... not to be confused with H.I.V.E. ...

Madrox, the Multiple Man - Ugly early costume , that no number of quippy X-Facotr early issues will quite banish.
Multiplex - Gave up being a Firestorm villain to open up a chain of cinemas. Not the best costume either.
Big cirttter fought by the JL in their first annual. Made up of lots of human bodies. Icky, especially if you were on on the heel and got squished.
The Schizoid Man - Opponent of the Ultimates, with a name ripped off from The Prisoner. Fodder for the Ultimates.

Nope, I'm still holding out to be a drone of Zazalla, The Queen Bee.
Thoth likes getting stung!
By Beyonce?
only once can be fatal for the bees.
The Bee Suicide Squad
Ford Beebe.
Bee Movie
Having a bee hive hair do, is asking for trouble.
Unless you're Night Girl...and it's dark.
maybe the source of her powers wasn't the absence of light... it was that bee hive do!
It beehoved her to bring back the beehive.
The Behooved Beehive: A Biron/ Night Girl team up issue of Brave and the Bold.
The Brilliant Behooved Behive: Biron and Night Girl convince Lazon to turn good!
Critics stated that the Legion were taking a Lazon-faire approach to rehabilitation.
Now I have it in my head-canon that when Lydda arrived on Earth she settled in Baltimore and became a hon. laugh
I was thinking of Cindy Wilson of the B52's.
Tourin' new wave crime fightin'

Only a matter of time before The Mad Mod shows up.
A honey bun!
Cindy Wilson would also be a great take on this!

"Tin Roof! Rustin!"
That's no Love Shack! Oh, Fortress Lad, you perv!
Oh, so that's why the tiles kept falling off the walls!
Piles of tiles.
Miles of smiles
"A smile makes a lousy umbrella!"

- Linus Van Pelt
First Man
I think, I think I am
Therefore I am, I think

The Establishment
Of course you are my bright little star
I've miles and miles of files
Pretty files of your forefather's fruit
And now to suit our great computer
You're magnetic ink

First Man
I'm more than that
I know I am
At least, I think I must be

Inner Man
There you go man
Keep as cool as you can
Face piles of trials with smiles
It riles them to believe
That you perceive the web they weave
And keep on thinking free

--The Moody Blues
That was a nice read, EDE
Also, a nice listen:

Moody Blues, In the Beginning/Lovely to See You
Ooh nice! thanks again, EDE!
Nice is also a city in France, but it's pronounced "neese."
That's the plural of nice
"I hate meese's to pieces." quote from some animated character
I had a work meeting with a Tom and a Jerry recently... My boss thought I was making fun of them, until I reminded him of their names
Although offering them cheese or a bowl of milk might have been an issue.
Bringing a bulldog in would have been divisive, too
What would help is intervention from the noblest dog in the world, Krypto. Krypto
There's a guy at the local butcher who is nicknamed Bulldog.
The local barbershop that I go to is called Bulldog!
Bulldogs have jowls.
And cute they are
And cute they are

That eccentric grammar would seem to confirm my theory that Ibby is, in fact, Yoda the Jedi Master. wink
Confirm, I do not!
There's only one force round these parts... The Lard Force!
Extremely powerful, that!
It is. A student of the Lard Force must be ever aware of its ebbs and flows. It is a difficult path, fraught with danger and missteps. That was my reasoning as I nommed on some crisps last week, a yeah.
Midichlorians.
I wonder what Yoda thinks of that theory
I think anyone with them, should just keep applying the ointment, until they go away.
Midichlorians is what you get when you stick your lightsaber in unknown places when its not protected.
This one time, they should have been OK with certain attachments
"Attache" is a word I've always found classy.
I have someone to carry my bag into work. My attache attache.
Attached to your hip, perhaps
The person is a massive Groucho Marx fan and wears fake facial hair in tribute. That's an attached, attache attache moustache.
That just requires too much wax.
That just requires too much wax.

Enthusiasm for it tends to wax and wane.
They certainly wax lyrically about their moustache.
They certainly wax lyrically about their moustache.

How narcissistic of them!
Their face does twitch when they go on about themselves. They have a narcissis-tic.
if only all of them had that. Great way to spot them from a distance.
One day our personal AIs will flag people we see based on their personality. It will steer us through interactions, by warning us about topics they are likely to bring up, and how to avoid it happening.
Hopefully that won't be in my lifetime. I have no intention of ever getting a personal AI.

Famous last words...
Not quite the quote that the upcoming launches of Faux Fickles, Holo Hebistand and Artificial Annfie were looking for. But I'm sure one of those can just come up with quotes of their own.
How about "Art Official Annfie," who cranks out the fan art at a steady pace, instead of dribs and drabs several months apart?
Whichever version of Annfie this is, I love them all!
So in all seriousness - I use it all the time to get a "jump start" on a draft of something, as it really helps especially for things like formal messaging, email or otherwise. I tend to hack the output to death with what I want rather than do revision after revision via the LLM, but for getting something started? It's a good tool.
Editing is tough. but sometimes writing the first draft is tougher!
Whichever version of Annfie this is, I love them all!

Thank you! hug love CalorieQueen
smile love
Kinetix love

Umbra love
XS
Nothing says (creative) success like XS. smile
She is a standout of the Reboot!
Standout? She didn't do much standing still. More like Front Runner.
Loving that clever pun!
A lot of these Kill threads have puns in them.
"Kill, Baby, Kill" is an alternate title of a Mario Bava horror movie. "Operazione: Paura" is the original Italian title, which translates to "Operation: Fear." None of these titles accurately describes the movie, which is probably why it's one of Bava's more obscure works. I quite like it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_la_Kill
That was a *killer* reply! smile
The Killers have sold over 28 million records.
The Killers have sold over 28 million records.

When their first album was released, it seemed like such a breath of fresh air -- a young, current band emulating the Cars and other childhood favorites of mine, and doing it well.

Then the lead singer drank too much diet soda and started admiring Bruce Springsteen. I hate Bruce Springsteen. Ergo, I hated the Killers second album. Then I started feeling maybe the first album wasn't as good as I thought it was, and that the lyrics were terrible. I gave both albums away, and I've never looked back.
I've never had an album, and I only like a few of the songs that I've heard on the radio
I've never had an album, and I only like a few of the songs that I've heard on the radio

Trust me, that handful of catchy radio songs is the only half-decent thing about them!
Least there was something good!
Least there was something good!

Yeah, but it's like digging for gold expecting lots of big nuggets, only to end up with just a few little ones.
I'm not digging or searching anyway smile
Gold nugget found recently in the UK

The rather good Detectorists programme probably sparked some additional interest in recent years.
GOLD RUSH!
Grabs shovel....grabs basin to filter the river...races half way down the street...
Darn that Gaseous Lad! That's the 10th time this week I've fallen for that.
Whew! I thought the shovel was for something else!

*Ibby, after coming back from cleaning out the neighbors' cats' kitty litter
We're in the middle of Cat Wars at the moment.

Poor innocent bystander cats don't want to come out their cat flaps in case they get caught up in the cross hissing.

Basically, it's my Ted, Alpha Paws of a very large territory, and a succession of others trying to take advantage when he's elsewhere.

A while ago I lifted Ted away from a conflict. That didn't scare off the other cat. Yesterday, I let him get on with it. Sure enough, the other cat fled rather than face his power paws. Natural order restored (I was keeping an eye out in case of real bother).
I made a video of our neighbor's cats "fighting". The younger one leaped on the older cat, possibly as a challenge. Older cat wriggled free, gave him the stink-eye, and waited until he was relaxed to jump on him and show him who's boss
There's a complex set of combat maneuvers going on whenever two get together. Everything is worked out to gain maximum advantage.
Grabs shovel....grabs basin to filter the river...races half way down the street...
Darn that Gaseous Lad! That's the 10th time this week I've fallen for that.

It's a gift.... It's a ... curse...
I made a video of our neighbor's cats "fighting". The younger one leaped on the older cat, possibly as a challenge. Older cat wriggled free, gave him the stink-eye, and waited until he was relaxed to jump on him and show him who's boss

Our squirrels in the back yard were doing that the other day.

Then one started trying to jump over the other one. But he (?) never quite made it.

Then they kind of laid on the lawn smoking cigarettes.

That was weird.
and then you have my parents' five fluffy little dogs all in a pile, whenever someone brings out the doggie treats

Our squirrels in the back yard were doing that the other day.

Then one started trying to jump over the other one. But he (?) never quite made it.

Then they kind of laid on the lawn smoking cigarettes.

That was weird.

Mental note: Stop wearing squirrel suit when visiting Gaseous Lad.
Death by dogpile
And slobbery saliva everywhere
Disgust at doggie drool is definitely understandable.
I love dogs, but the droolers - well, I'm definitely not a fan of those, even if they are sweet.
Especially the ones who also eat poop
Doggies who think they're piggies.
from an evolutionary perspective, it seems that dogs actually may eat poop to keep their dens clean!

https://www.petmd.com/dog/behavior/why-do-dogs-eat-poop
Cleanliness is next to doggyness.
God knows as your dog knows.
Dogs are a good judge of character, I believe
They are. Just ask Snoopy.
He's a very good one
"Very" is a very, very good album by Pet Shop Boys.

But don't take my word for it! Here's the full album:

I still remember thinking that Introspective was an utter rip off. 6 tracks?! Extended versions of things?! What a con!

Yet, Left to my own devices makes it onto my playlists. And I like longer tracks. More of a good thing to enjoy. So, what did I know? smile

pretty colors!
Thoth, do you like PSB's "Behaviour" album? I love it almost as much as "Very."

Ibby, a splash of colour makes the world better.
I remember Being Boring getting a lot of airplay.

They'd been huge here with Please, Disco and Actually. Back in the days of limited programming, and music order catalogues. smile

PSB were developing an electronic sound from that. It moved towards certain markets, at a time I was listening to, and more interested in, other things.

Looking back you see the craft, the nods and the knowledge as their sound took shape. At the time, there were fresher, newer, rawer to explore.
Fair enough, Thoth. I feel "Behaviour" was a beautiful eulogy to their more ironic and experimental early selves, and to the 80s overall. The explosion of colour and melody that was "Very" felt quite refreshing to me in the dour days of gangsta rap and grunge. It suggested a brighter alternative to what the 90s had been shaping up to be. That didn't happen until almost 20 years later, during the EDM era, which was the last time I cared about current pop music.
Our late '80s was a bright burst of acid house, psychedelic trance loads of remixes and indy dance. PSB worked with some of the same people. But it seemed that by the time they'd done that, things had already moved on. Not quite the stage that you'd get some groups mining EDM in their songs regardless of how unsuitable (see also rap).

I've a cheek to almost type, possibly with guest vocals from Liza Minnelli, when KLF had Tammy Wynette. But things at the time, aren't often as they seemed.
I was a baby then smile
So were we. Raves were so inclusive, we got taken by our folks.
My uncle has a story, he was at a club... and grandma came in, forced the DJ to stop playing, and had the DJ announce: "(uncle's name), your mom says you have to come home now!"
Those kinds of clubs always heightened my anxiety and I could never get comfortable in places like those, so I stood out like a sore thumb.
My uncle has a story, he was at a club... and grandma came in, forced the DJ to stop playing, and had the DJ announce: "(uncle's name), your mom says you have to come home now!"

Oh, the shame. My first Saturday haunts were all a couple of minutes walking distance from where I lived. So, could have happened. My folks trusted me to not fall on my face too much, so I got left in peace.

Those kinds of clubs always heightened my anxiety and I could never get comfortable in places like those, so I stood out like a sore thumb.

I met a lot of relaxed, welcoming folks, which took the edge off of any social anxiety. There was quite a range of things people were interested in, lots of different dress senses and people who didn't bother. Not the same in some of my other social circles at the time, which were a bit more constrained and snooty.
I think the clubs that friends dragged me to at the time were more in line with that last category.

Mainly just snooty and judgy.

It also didn't help that I've never had any understanding of how to move my body through space without looking like a dork. laugh
I have a few fave haunts in the neighborhood now, too

one is just around the corner. I'd always pick that for a first meet-up; then if the other person was a no-show, I'd block them and head back home
I think the clubs that friends dragged me to at the time were more in line with that last category.

Mainly just snooty and judgy.

It also didn't help that I've never had any understanding of how to move my body through space without looking like a dork. laugh

Fortunately, most of the music at the time didn't require anyone to be able to dance. Actually (not just a PSB album), depending on the venue, people did what they liked.
for some, nodding their heads and tapping their feet counts as dancing
That was basically my fallback in those situations. laugh
it's safe, and allows one to drink while dancing tongue
It's important to have safe dancing. Here's a video about it...

Dance safe folks! don't drink and dance...
Yes that was the other problem. If I ever did cut loose, people would legitimately be at risk of personal harm. laugh
Yes that was the other problem. If I ever did cut loose, people would legitimately be at risk of personal harm. laugh

There's always punk, where "dancing" could end up with some minor bloodshed.
I never connected with punk until I was in my 40s smile
Things like Punk, Ska, 2 Tone were had a bad reputation, and seemed to be really aggressive to li'l thoth. Before the press had heavy metal and rap to kick about. It was later on, at festivals, I got to enjoy some of it. A couple of clubs had a very mixed bag, something for everyone which was good too.
I prefer songs with meaningful (to me) lyrics that I can sing along to
With a few exceptions, the lyrics are secondary to me. I have to be able to at least tolerate the singer's voice.
If they're not screaming, they're not singing. smile
There was an American Idol contestant a while back, who was nicknamed Constant-scream for all the screaming
Constantine Maroulis? I thought he was okay. The AI screamer who really annoys me is Smelly Clarkson.
Didn't watch Season 1 smile
I think that may have been the only season I watched
If there's ever a tell-all documentary about AI, it should be titled "False Idols."
Can also be used for some politicians
I don't expect anything than self serving stupidity and corruption from politicians.
Self-serving stupidity, as easy to come by as self-serve frozen yogurt!
Let's add self-absorbed, selfish and emotionally immature videos who humiliate or even hurt other people for social media fame
I'm really glad I didn't have social media, when I was younger. I'm also glad things like X aren't things I use actively now.
Social media is a boil on the buttocks of society!
I used to use it to remember birthdays. but meh, birthday calendar is better

I also come from a culture where big groups - and preserving "harmony" within them - is important. how toxic! why should I have to hang out with a group of 30, where I only really like 5, am ok with 20, and despise the last 5
The ironic thing is that based on the link on the left of the main page, the FB LW page looks like it gets more engagement than this ol' UBB site... frown
The ironic thing is that based on the link on the left of the main page, the FB LW page looks like it gets more engagement than this ol' UBB site... frown

A new ongoing Legion series would bring a lot of people back over here.
I'd hope so. I mean Twitter and FB have a (particularly bad) function in today's society in connecting people, but you can't have any lengthy conversation without it becoming quickly unreadable. And its a shame that those sites have become the "easy button" for online interaction, given the amount of bots on the sites.
Anyone new here gets a treasure trove of topics to delve through. FB and others are far more immediate. I would either feel I had to keep up or not bother. So, I've not bothered.
Not to mention its searchable. Not the best search, to be sure, but it gets the job done for 20 years worth of posts or whatever it is.
We have Steve Aries and Saucy Jones, immortalized forever!
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
We have Steve Aries and Saucy Jones, immortalized forever!

Not to mention Harmonia Li's Eastern-European half-sister, Sonia Spektor.
Did Sonia also get a planet blown up?
No, but she did have a romantic affair with Tellus!
I killed this thread!
I call it, it's very dead! well done Fanfie!
© Legion World