Legion World
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Name that Horror Scene - 08/27/04 09:46 PM
Ok, here's another fun game for all the horror fans on this board. Someone names a famous/classic/ultra-gross horror scene from a movie, and the next person guesses what movie it's from and the characters that were involved. Anything that you consider horror is game, although if it gets obscure, try to give hints.

Here's hoping this thread doesn't drift into nothingness...

I'll start with a relatively easy one:

An annoying guy in a wheel chair is sawed completely in half by a chainsaw.

What movie is that classically from, and who did it?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/27/04 10:16 PM
ShrinkingViolet I'm guessing but I'll say it's Leatherface from Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I've never seen the original just the remake and that was scarey enough for me!

Assuming I'm right, this scene is from the first horror movie I ever saw:

A man moves back to his aunt's home with his young son and, ultimately, goes on a killing spree with a Nazi hunting old man! What movie and what are they killing? ShrinkingViolet
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/27/04 11:05 PM
Yup, you're right LV, it was Leatherface from the original. I'll have to think about your one though before I answer...
Posted By: OpalWitch Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/28/04 05:06 AM
I'm thinking Apt Pupil, it has a Nazi (I think, I never saw it)
Posted By: Obsidian Lass Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/28/04 05:29 AM
Umbra I haven't seen Apt Pupil - I'll look for it.

Hint #1: Dr. Fate and Days of Our Lives share this locale with the movie. Umbra
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/28/04 12:26 PM
Alt ID confusion... I'll guess 'House' with William Katt. I haven't seen it since I was like 9 but I know it has something to do with a man and his son moving into an old house. I'd guess that what he and the old man are killing is goblins or something.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/28/04 04:26 PM
SaturnGirl If you realize it's me (the original poster), then where's the confusion? - not trying to be snotty in asking this

Hint #2: Jack Kirby may be the King of Comics but this Maine-born writer is the King of horror! SaturnGirl
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/28/04 05:58 PM
Ok, I'm totally stumped. I've thought of every Steven King movie I remember, but none really fit! I may have never seen this...

PS- Zoe, Apt Pupil is a GREAT movie. I just got it on DVD. It has one of the most heart-wrenching scenes I've ever seen in a movie, when the Holocaust survivor recognizes Ian McKellan and realizes it's him.
Posted By: OpalWitch Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/28/04 06:30 PM
Oh, but had something to do with the Nazis right, at least I got that right.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/28/04 08:07 PM
SaturnGirl Well it is the first horror movie I can remember seeing - so maybe I remembered it wrong.

But what I remember is that in Salem's Lot a father and son move back to his aunt's house and eventually team up with an old man/Nazi hunter to kill the vampires of the town. Maybe I misremembered it as Stephen King? Sorry guys.

I just saw this on Sci-Fi today so I know I'm right with this one:

The angels were borne of the light, the men were borne of the earth, and the djinn were born of the fire comes from what horror film franchise? SaturnGirl
Posted By: Loser Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/28/04 08:11 PM
Salem's Lot was Stephen King, and they did hunt vampires, but I'm not sure if there was a Nazi hunter in it or not.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/28/04 08:21 PM
SaturnGirl Do you remember the old man who helped the dad & son, Lou? He didn't survive the film but I remember his character as being a Jewish Nazi hunter. Heck, I'm going to need to remember to rent it now. tongue SaturnGirl
Posted By: Loser Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/28/04 08:46 PM
I really don't remember. I saw Salem's Lot probably 15 years ago. TNT just aired a remake of it a month or two ago, but I didn't watch it.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/28/04 09:44 PM
The TnT remake was good but not great. You know, I've never seen the original Salem's Lot, even though I know the plot pretty well. I was going to guess it too, but it just didn't seem right! There could have been a Jewish Nazi Hunter in it, it seems like something Stephen King might throw in.

Do you want to add another one Miss T? Any classic horror scene will suffice!

(I'm hoping more people stop by this thread before I start getting obscure with them...)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/28/04 09:51 PM
SaturnGirl1 I posted this earlier ~

The angels were borne of the light, the men were borne of the earth, and the djinn were born of the fire comes from what horror film franchise?

It's not a specific scene from a horror movie, though.

So I'll also post: A young brother and sister are on a road trip to their parents' house, but instead find their path intertwined with a strange pickup truck and a driver with major road rage. The licese plate on the truck is memorable too.

Answer one or both - I hope I chose better this round. SaturnGirl1
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/28/04 10:14 PM
Oops, sorry Miss T!

At the risk of exposing my B-Movie fan knowledge, is the first one from "Wishmaster"?

I'll have to think about the second...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/28/04 10:21 PM
SaturnGirl correctamundo and take your time SaturnGirl
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/28/04 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Sister Saturn:
[QB]

So I'll also post: A young brother and sister are on a road trip to their parents' house, but instead find their path intertwined with a strange pickup truck and a driver with major road rage. The licese plate on the truck is memorable too.[QB]
I'll leave that up too, in case someone wants to go for it.

Here's mine:

After wondering all film why the title of the movie is what it is, we see the main character, a police officer, led to his final fate: he's about to be burnt alive and sacrificed to the Sun Diety.

And in case that one is too easy:

A clutch of man-eating pigs go to work in a scene that makes 'Hannibal' look like Candyland, while the main character/baddie starts decapitating heads with a sword.

*HINT*- this second one is from a film that was banned in Britain and other places for two decades and may still be banned there. It is pretty obscure.
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/28/04 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
After wondering all film why the title of the movie is what it is, we see the main character, a police officer, led to his final fate: he's about to be burnt alive and sacrificed to the Sun Diety.
"The Wicker Man" - great film, eerie soundtrack.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/28/04 11:33 PM
Correct! Great movie indeed (and one I'm hoping to add to my DVD collection soon)!
Posted By: Myriad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/28/04 11:35 PM
A clutch of man-eating pigs go to work in a scene that makes 'Hannibal' look like Candyland, while the main character/baddie starts decapitating heads with a sword.
Dreamer Sounds like Manhunter to me, which was later made into Red Dragon.

Hint for my movie: The license plate reads BTNG U (i hope i got that right) Dreamer
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/29/04 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Miss Terious:
[QB]
Dreamer Sounds like Manhunter to me, which was later made into Red Dragon.
The man-eating pigs were in "Hannibal", not "Manhunter" or "Red Dragon" but that's not the movie being asked about.
Posted By: Magnetic Boy Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/29/04 01:33 AM
CosmicBoy d'oh! CosmicBoy
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/29/04 12:17 PM
The road movie is 'Jeepers Creepers'.

I have no idea what the pigs movie is but since I live in Britain there's probably a good reason for it. I'll guess something out there like 'Cannibal Apocalypse'.
Posted By: Penetrable Girl Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/29/04 06:06 PM
PhantomGirl Exactamundo, Blacula! Cobie has stumped me, as well! (and I'm not in UK) PhantomGirl
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/29/04 06:43 PM
Well, Blacula and Outdoor Miner can post there own now!

As for the movie that has people stumped, it really is pretty obscure, but I'll give it a day or two more to see if someone knows it. It isn't 'Cannibal Apocolypse', but you're on the right track! It's similar to it in that it's been banned for twenty-five years in the UK and is extremely brutal...
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/29/04 10:27 PM
Hmmm, I'm sure I read an article some time ago about most of the films that were banned in the UK but I'm totally drawing a blank on what they were now. I know 'Driller Killer' and 'Last House on the Left' were on the list at one point but I don't think the scene's from either of them. I'm stumped CK.

But here's an easy scene to keep the game rolling...

A girl is at home making popcorn when she gets a phone call from a movie-fan who isn't impressed with her knowledge of 80's slasher flicks.
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/29/04 10:39 PM
Forgot I had to respond. Oops.

A character responds to the villain's pleas for mercy with the line "This is the end, friend" just before setting said villain on fire.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/29/04 10:39 PM
Note- this is to Blacula's

Scream! Which was actually a good movie IMO, although not very scary.

Here's another one that isn't too hard:

When the lead character and her beau prepare to walk down an aisle together, her beau is beaten up by a jerk who takes his place. Too bad for him he gets his head cut off, and it rolls down the aisle onto the stage for everyone to see!
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/29/04 10:41 PM
OM, here's a guess: I Spit on Your Grave?
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/29/04 10:43 PM
Nope. That's not it.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/30/04 02:07 PM
The only film I can think of that ends with the villain being set on fire by the hero is Jaws 2! I know I'm right OM! wink

CK - is your new one from that film with Cameron Diaz and Christian Slater about that bucks-party gone wrong in Las Vegas? Was it called 'Horrible Things' or something?
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/30/04 08:28 PM
No Blacula, it's not, but that's a great movie that I forgot all about! Christian Slater is crazy in it! Good guess, but your about twenty years ahead of the one I have in mind...
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/30/04 10:06 PM
That scene sounds so familiar to me CK! I'm so going to kick myself when I found out.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/31/04 01:03 PM
"This is the end, friend" Spoken to Chucky by Andy at the end of Child's Play.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/31/04 01:09 PM
As for Cobie's movie (the head rolling onto the stage) it has to be the original Prom Night. Can't think of another movie that I've seen that scene in.

And how the HELL did I miss a Horror scene game?
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/31/04 01:27 PM
Cobie, would the one with man-eating pigs be Evilspeak with Clint Howard?

And I think that answers all the unanswered questions. Can't wait to ask one of my own. laugh
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/31/04 03:20 PM
Holy Moley! You come in Scooter and dominate! Actually, I knew you'd get the Evilspeak one, which is why I left it up for so long laugh I've been waiting for you to see this thread!

Yup, it's Evilspeak, one of the legendary 'video nasties' banned in the UK. Of course, the fact that it's banned makes it more fun to watch!

And the other one is from Prom Night! Right again, Scott! I'm anxiously awaiting Blacula to start kicking himself tongue

Ok, you're up Scott! You can ask one or two questions, or even more to keep the thread moving!
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/31/04 04:58 PM
I'll post a couple of scenes later today. Off to take Caroline's mom to another doctor appointment right now.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/31/04 07:01 PM
Actually I've never seen Prom Night so I have no idea why I would've thought that scene sounded familiar. Oh well, I'll go ahead and kick myself anyway. wink
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/01/04 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
"This is the end, friend" Spoken to Chucky by Andy at the end of Child's Play.
That's the one. Never liked the film, but I figured it would be a distinctive scene.

You da man, Scott!
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/01/04 12:20 PM
My Mom raised my little brother and I on horror movies. Phoenix (where I grew up until my father passed) had a drive-in not too far from where we lived that held triple-feature horror movies on Friday nights during the summer. And they didn't start the shows until Midnight. So we'd get home on Saturday morning in time for cartoons. laugh

Here's a scene from one of those Midnight showings.

Our hero (a very familiar one) breaks an Egg. This is followed by a loud explosion and the skies open up. What falls isn't a real rain and it melts the bad guys. The scene last for about 10 minutes.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/01/04 12:32 PM
I already knew that Scott was the king of horror trivia around here, and now I know why! Very cool, Scooter!

Now I'm worried that I'm getting my movies mixed up. Here's a guess: Army of Darkness?

(Five years ago, I would know immediately what was in or wasn't in AoD, when I was convinced it was the greatest movie ever made).
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/01/04 12:36 PM
Nope, it wasn't Ash. This movie predates him by a good decade (from the original Evil Dead). The hero of this movie is familiar for other reasons, not usually horror.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/01/04 12:43 PM
I'll let others throw some guesses in, although I won't be able to help myself if I think of another possibility... tongue
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/01/04 08:06 PM
SaturnGirl I'm scared! Cobie will you let me hide my face on your lap? Thanks, Big Daddy! *wink, wink* SaturnGirl
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/01/04 09:26 PM
*wink* back at you, although it's your mother who I'd like to have on my lap laugh

Scott, I'm stumped, but it sounds like such a familiar scene! OM, Miss T and Blacula, do you have any idea?
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/01/04 10:08 PM
I'll let the others have at it before giving more details.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/02/04 11:45 AM
I'm sorry - I've got no idea. But LL's clue about the hero makes me think it might be a character from a completely different genre who's been transplanted to a horror movie - for example 'Sherlock Holmes meets Dracula' (or whatever that film was called). Am I on the right track LL?
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/02/04 12:43 PM
Not quite. I mean the actor playing our hero usually appears in a different genre of film.

Another clue.

Our hero is searching for his father, at the insistance of his mother, who fears something bad will happen. The hero finds his father but his face is horribly disfigured. The father tells the family they must give Corbis the book and then he collapses into a puddle of foul smelling liquid.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/03/04 06:26 PM
Guess I came along and killed another trivia thread.

Okay, here's another hint, not a quote.

The technical advisor on this film was Anton Szandor Lavey.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/03/04 06:37 PM
Give it a few days Scott and maybe someone can grab it! We'll have to keep up with the master of horror trivia smile

I'm going to have to start doing research to get that answer! In the meantime, you can add another question if you like! We can do it so two questions are always being asked, and try to balance the easy ones with the harder...
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/04/04 11:29 AM
I'm sorry - I have no idea.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/04/04 04:44 PM
Ok, I have to make the guess now, although I've cheated a little. The funny thing about this is that my parents were actually discussing this movie the other day and how much they hated it. It had William Shatner, Ernest Borgnine, John Travolta and a whole bunch of others, but it was so different from everything they'd done before. I assume Shatner is the one you are talking about Scott.

Anton Lavey is of course the founder of the Church of Satan and the writer of the Satanic Bible. I'm sure his involvement in the film makes this horror movie even more 'creepy' tongue

The movie: "Devil's Rain", circa 1975, although I've never seen it. Now my curiousity is peaked! My parents are NOT horror fans at all, so they're hating the movie doesn't tell me much...

I'm pretty sure I'm right, what do you say, Scott?
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/04/04 07:30 PM
That's the one Cobie! People who aren't horror fans will not like it. That simple. But those of us who do like horror and real cheesy 70's horror (the kind I was raised on laugh ) will enjoy it. I've only caught it maybe twice since I saw it at the drive-in (which I had to have been no older than 7) but it is one that I still can remember vividly.

Next scene is yours Cobie.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/04/04 08:09 PM
Now that I'm interested, I'm going to have to rent it! Sept-Oct is my favorite season to watch horror anyway, although my horror-addicated roomates from college are no longer close enough to watch our favorites.

Here's two, one being from a cheesy movie that I've expressed my love for before:

-A small silver orb with two spikes and knives flies down the hall and impales the head of one of two guys. A huge arc of blood sprays forth.

-The underwater battle between a zombie and a shark in one of the most gory Zombie movies of all time. I'm pretty sure no other movie has a zombie shark in it. *note- this one is also pretty obscure and was banned in Europe and the UK or some time!
Posted By: Ghost of Numf El Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/04/04 08:37 PM
No 1's gotta be Phantasm, or one of its sequels.

No 2 - banned over here, so I've got no idea. Sorry. But Zombies and sharks - sounds right up my tree.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/04/04 08:43 PM
You're right on the first one, Numf! It's the first Phantasm I was thinking about, although I guess any of the three sequels could have counted. I love those movies, especially b/c of their cheesiness.

And Zombies and Sharks does sound right up your ally laugh
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/04/04 08:44 PM
Oh, and that means you get to ask a question too.
Posted By: Ghost of Numf El Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/04/04 08:57 PM
Easy one for you lot:-

Dogs face peels open like a banana.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/05/04 02:34 AM
Numf, I believe yours is the John Carpenter remake of "The Thing". Cobie, your zombie/shark movie is "Zombie", one of the best zombie movies around. One of the guys I play poker with has an original theater poster from Zombie hanging in his office. And he won't let me have it.
Posted By: Ghost of Numf El Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/06/04 10:41 AM
Absolutely DL - your go.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/06/04 01:32 PM
Same here Scooter. "Zombie" is definately it, and is worth the price of admission alone for that scene IMO.

You're up for two questions!
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/06/04 08:30 PM
Okay the first one:

One of the strangers is allowed to participate in the barrel roll during the town's anniversary celebrations. But the townsfolk seal him in the barrel with nails before rolling him down the hill to a bloody end.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/06/04 08:38 PM
The second one:

We see a guy looking at a wedding picture of his wife. Then the scene cuts to a shot of a semi-conscious girl chained to a wall. She has red stuff trailing from her nose and mouth. A transparent tube runs along her leg, showing bits of red fluid slurping down the tube. A motor is running in the background. She passes out. A fellow in a pointy hood and overalls checks her out. He removes the tube from her arm. Cut to a shot of pigeon in a coop.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/07/04 06:15 PM
I would think the first one is easy, the second one not so much. Do you just need more time or another hint?
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/07/04 09:40 PM
I don't know about anyone else but I need a hint. I used to think I had a good knowledge of horror films but I see I've really met the masters here...
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/08/04 02:42 AM
The first movie begins with a car full of young people, three couples, being diverted to a small, Southern town. They are eventually made the guests of honor at a Confederate centennial celebration.

I'll have to think on the second movie to come up with a good scene.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/08/04 09:16 PM
Scott, is the first one "Two Thousand Maniacs"?

I saw that about three years ago, and I remember a specific bloody barrel role sequence in it.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/08/04 10:33 PM
Yep, the first one is Two Thousand Maniacs. The first time we saw it my mom would make us hide our eyes when the bad stuff happened. Lot of good it did. laugh

Been racking my brain for another scene for the second one. This is the best I could come up with.

There is a ring at the door (I seem to remember it being a motorhome but it could have been a trailer) and when a woman answers the door she finds the family dog hanging from the porch, drained of blood.
Posted By: Kid Neuro Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/08/04 10:51 PM
Is it Forever Evil?
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/09/04 03:09 AM
That's not it Dr.

This movie came out in the mid 60's but was a big hit at the drive ins during the early 70's. There was a narrator at the beginning who sounded like James Mason (though it wasn't).
Posted By: Astrid Seahorse Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/09/04 06:48 AM
WonderGirlII I have no idea, Scooter. Perhaps you horrorphiles will enjoy this link: http://www.brian-oshaughnessy.com/horror_history.html

It certainly should give you a spectrum of titles to choose trivia from and the intro, alone, is worth a read. WonderGirlII
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/09/04 04:38 PM
Dang. The site is blocked from work because of 'nudity'. Now I really have to see it. laugh

One last hint on the second movie.

The baddies were supposedly Druids and they were doing what they did because of their Queen. I can't tell you want it was because that would give the movie title away.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/09/04 05:11 PM
Here's mine:

A Classic Horror Movie monster ripping off someone's fake arm out of the socket, after really doing it to him many years earlier.

This is probably an easy one, but in case you're not sure, this movie features at least three classic horror actors.
Posted By: Astrid Seahorse Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/10/04 05:37 AM
WonderGirlII Scott, is it The Dunwich Horror? WonderGirlII
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/10/04 04:31 PM
Sorry Miss T, that's not it, although that is a good movie.

The movie I was talking about was called Invasion of the Blood Farmers. This site will give you a breakdown of the DVD version (I didn't know it had been released on DVD).

I recall this movie vividly from a drive-in showing in Gardendale, AL when I was six or seven. My mom and one of her girlfriends took us kids in the station wagon and we had pepperoni pizza to eat. I was the only one who didn't vomit up their pizza. I've had a strong stomach for horror movies ever since.

I'll have to think of a new one to come back with.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/12/04 10:33 PM
Next movie:

A motorcross race is interrupted by an unusual entry with multiple riders. They are being chased by a bunch of cop cars.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/13/04 04:10 PM
Here's mine:

A Classic Horror Movie monster ripping off someone's fake arm out of the socket, after really doing it to him many years earlier.

This is probably an easy one, but in case you're not sure, this movie features at least three classic horror actors.
I'll give this one another day or two before I answer it myself. Here's one more hint: this movie is from the 30's/40's and features a classic movie monster played by the actor most associated with the role. If that doesn't do it, nothing will wink
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/13/04 10:23 PM
OK I'll take a wild guess at 'Bride of Frankenstein'. I've never seen it but always wanted to. Especially after reading a wonderful book about its director James Whale called 'Father of Frankenstein'. It later became the movie 'Gods and Monsters' with Ian Mckellen and Brendan Frazer.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/14/04 02:59 PM
Good guess Blacula, but that's not it. The movie I'm thinking of is "Son of Frankenstein", which might be Boris Karloff's final movie as the Monster. The movie also starred Bela Lugosi and Basil Rawthbone, too other horror greats (well, I'd but Rawthbone in too). Another character is introduced as having his arm ripped off as a child by the monster, only to have his fake one ripped off again at the end of the movie.

And "Bride of Frankenstein" is commonly accepted as being the best Frankenstein movie of all, the best of the Universal 30's/40's horror movies, and one of the best horror movies of all time. I agree with this--it's still eerie and creepy today.

I'll think of another one to post later!
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/21/04 04:26 PM
Willikers! I've got to keep this thread moving in Scott's absence!

Here's one from a sequel, although I won't tell you which sequel:

-After helping a mother escape with her baby out a secret tunnel, the nurse looks on, realizing that she's probably going to die for it. Camera focuses on the backround. Our killer makes his entrance. Picking her up by the throat, he smashes her head into a spike on the wall! Cue music! On to get the mother and baby!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/22/04 05:29 PM
ShrinkingViolet Halloween 4? ShrinkingViolet
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/22/04 07:03 PM
Nice call, Miss T, but not quite it. You are *very* close though!

I have a soft spot for the Halloween movies, my favorite 'franchise' horror series, even though a lot of sequels aren't too good.
Posted By: Penetrable Girl Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/22/04 09:04 PM
PhantomGirl I'm not sure how many are in the series and I don't want to just keep guessing the numbers.

H20 was pretty good. PhantomGirl
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/24/04 06:00 PM
It's the opening scene of Halloween 6, the first movie I ever snuck into! That scene still gives me that cool creepy feeling.

You're up Miss T!
Posted By: Penetrable Girl Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/25/04 10:39 AM
PhantomGirl I never saw this movie but it sounds very interesting. In the film, Grandma tells her granddaughter strange stories of handsome yet heavily eyebrowed strange men, spouses who disappear during the full moon, and storks and eggs. PhantomGirl
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/25/04 11:26 AM
Is it 'The Company of Wolves'?

I saw that film years ago but I seem to remember it having something about "never trust a man whose eyebrows meet in the middle" and of course since its about werewolves (in a figurative sense, its actually all about awakening young female sexuality - thank you first-year university Film Studies) there's also a fair amount of full moon references.

I really need to see that film again actually. I remember it as being quite good but I'm sure there was still a lot I missed when I saw it as a young teenager that I could pick up more clearly as an adult.
Posted By: Penetrable Girl Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/25/04 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Blacula:
Is it 'The Company of Wolves'?

I saw that film years ago but I seem to remember it having something about "never trust a man whose eyebrows meet in the middle" and of course since its about werewolves (in a figurative sense, its actually all about awakening young female sexuality - thank you first-year university Film Studies) there's also a fair amount of full moon references.

I really need to see that film again actually. I remember it as being quite good but I'm sure there was still a lot I missed when I saw it as a young teenager that I could pick up more clearly as an adult.
PhantomGirl Correct, Blacula. You're up next!

Wolves was the second directorial effort of Irish director Neil Jordan (THE CRYING GAME) and was a psychologically themed retelling of the Red Riding Hood fairy tale from a Freudian and slightly feminist angle. Angela Lansbury played Grandma, too! I really need to rent this! PhantomGirl
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/25/04 11:46 PM
Good choice of film Elusion Girl!

OK here're my 2 scenes. One is from possibly my favourite cult disco-horror film of all time but its quite obscure so I'll give an easier scene as well -

1. Our "heroine", who has fled to New York City with her hunky Australian boyfriend, is 'WOW'ing all the infinitely better dancers in the disco with her abysmally awful 'dying swan' dance moves in order to reclaim her humanity when her grandfather, who is a famous classic horror character, bursts in only to be dispatched by the worst special effects you've EVER seen when said hunky Australian flashes a crucifix at him.

2. We see a hitch-hiking girl get into a car from the POV of the driver who picks her up. After listening to this girl jabber away for a while the driver stops the car and then chases the girl through the woods before stabbing her to death with some type of sharp implement - all still from the POV of the driver/killer.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/26/04 04:08 PM
Is the second one from "the Hitcher", Blacula? That was one of the first horror films I watched when I got into a MAJOR horror kick in college with my roomates, and I think I recall that scene.

I have no idea on the first, although it sounds like it's right up my ally laugh . Nowadays, I make my siblings watch horror movies with me, and the more B level it is, the more I love it and they hate it laugh
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/27/04 11:01 PM
Its the type of generic horror scene that probably popped up in a few films CK, but that's not the one I'm thinking of.

I'll give a further clue - when I first saw this film (quite a few years after it was made) I kept saying to my friends (thinking I knew who the killer was from what I'd seen of its sequels) "What a ridiculous scene! As if anyone would get into a car with a driver who's wearing that on their face!" Well colour me surprised when I got to the end and the killer turned out to be his ________! Quite a cool twist I thought.

As for the first scene, CK - this film is so bad that calling it a B-movie would be an insult to B-movies everywhere. There probably isn't a grade to properly ascribe to this film... but that's why I love it! Its about a vampire in Transylvania who discovers that through the joy of disco-dancing she can become human again! So of course she hot-foots it to funky 70's New York with her "hunky" (read "dorky") Australian boyfriend in tow to dance the night away at all the coolest clubs. Unfortunately her freaky henchman and some poncey local vampires don't take kindly to this idea and conspire to prevent her from doing what she does worst - DANCE! It has to be seen to be believed but I won't give the name of it just yet in case some other poster out there has been lucky enough to see it.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/28/04 06:03 PM
Blacula, would that first scene be from Nocturna? With Yvonne De Carlo?
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/28/04 06:07 PM
Oh, and your other one, with the hitch-hiker, is from the original Friday the 13th isn't it?

I see that no one got my last one, prior to my getting sick. I'll save it for another time. laugh
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/28/04 11:29 PM
My God! Someone actually got it! Well done DL! It is indeed 'Nocturna : Granddaughter of Dracula' with Yvonne De Carlo, John Carradine and a bunch of others who probably went on to do porn or infomercials.

How did you get the answer? Did you look it up or have you actually seen this slice of celluloid heaven?

And you got the second one right too. The original 'Friday the 13th' it was. Next question's to you.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/28/04 11:36 PM
Didn't have to look it up. A Carradine vampire flick from the 70's was on the must see list growing up. I haven't seen it in over 20 years though. I wonder if its ever made its way to DVD?

I'll have to think a bit and post a couple of new scenes in a bit.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/04/04 12:03 PM
Okay first scene will be easy and most of you should know why I'm posting it.

A married woman, desperate to be with her lover, embezzles money from her boss. She is trying to buy a used car to get out of town and the salesman, taking advantage of her nervousness, takes her for more money.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/04/04 12:14 PM
The next one starts with an actor famous for his voice telling ghost stories to a bunch of kids on a beach. The story he is relating tells of a terrible mistake made by the community they live in a hundred year ago. In particular he talks about the town's lighthouse and how it led a ship to its doom.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/04/04 03:35 PM
Is the first one from 'Psycho' DL?

RIP Janet Leigh.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/04/04 03:55 PM
The first one is from Psycho Blacula. frown

One scene to you.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/07/04 12:36 PM
OK - A group of characters are fleeing from their pursuers through some tunnels. When one of the characters drops behind another one goes back to help her, only to discover that they have become cut off from the rest of their team and are hedged in on both sides by their pursuers. Realising that they have no hope of surviving the two characters hold each other close, wait for their pursuers to get as close as possible and then grimly set off an explosive charge in their hands - killing themselves and all the pursuers around them.

Man - I love this scene!
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/11/04 11:24 AM
Think sci-fi/horror people!
Posted By: Bevis Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/11/04 11:58 AM
OK, the one missing from Lighting Lad's is 'The Fog' (again, RIP Janet Leigh) and Blacula's one is from Aliens.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/11/04 12:19 PM
Sorry I've been neglecting this thread, a big fave of mine lately! It sounds like Bevis may have both though cool

BTW- nice tribute to Janet Leigh, Scooter!
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/11/04 12:27 PM
Thanks Cobbie. Her passing saddened me but Christopher Reeve's passing last night was even worse. You know, for people you really don't know they can have an impact on your life. frown

Bevis you did get the other one of mine. I loved The Fog. Carpenter movies are some of my favorites. Sounds like you owe us two scenes.
Posted By: THE LABRADORIAN Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/11/04 04:14 PM
aliens?
or is it aliens ressurection?
Posted By: Bevis Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/12/04 10:29 AM
Okily, dokily, two scenes then. Neither of these are techincally hooror films, but they're both quite scary.

The first scene has a room full of women being addressed by an attractive middle aged lady. The doors are locked and the lady at the front of the hall proceeds to peel off her face.

The second scene has an out of control super-computer plating a female character in wires and electronics, turning her into part of the computer itself.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/12/04 08:05 PM
Brother Labradorian - Bevis got it. It was Aliens.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/17/04 06:03 AM
Bevis, both sound familiar. Any more scenes for hints?
Posted By: Bevis Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/17/04 12:14 PM
Ermm... ok, first one a boy is given chocolate which then causes him to emit green smoke from his ears before undergoing a transformation.

The second one has the same out of control computer attempting to grab the hero of said ilm and do the same to him as it did to the lady.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/17/04 12:56 PM
Is the first one 'The Witches'? I think I might kinda recognise the scene from the book by Roald Dahl but I've never seen the film.
Posted By: Bevis Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/17/04 04:10 PM
It is indeed The Witches. It's actually a very creepy film, largely because of Angelica Huston, and I went to see it with my little brother when it first came out. He must have been about seven or eight at the time and that scene where the head witch peels off his face scared him so much that he hid under the seat.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/17/04 10:44 PM
Oh coolio! That was a lucky guess!

OK next scene -

A guy is driving past the beach when he sees something floating in the water a few yards from shore. He wades out to see what it is... and gets more than he bargained for!
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/17/04 10:46 PM
P.S. Bevis - is your second one a manga film?
Posted By: Stargazer Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/18/04 02:30 AM
Blacula-- I am gonna say Jaws.
Posted By: Bevis Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/18/04 06:36 AM
Nope, second one isn't a manga film. It's a film very pertinent to last week.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/18/04 07:01 AM
That would make the second one Superman III. The 'Brainiac' computer turned one of the women (Vera?) into a robot.
Posted By: Bevis Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/18/04 08:38 AM
Indeedy, that's the one. That scene absolutely scared the crap out of me when I saw it for the first time. It's still pretty bloody creepy now.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/18/04 09:46 AM
Stargazer - It was Jaws II but you're close enough.

The floor is yours (and Lightning Lad's).
Posted By: Stargazer Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/19/04 02:11 AM
Yahoo!!

OK..
A guy is shooting a gun in hopes of hitting something and suddenly his chest expoldes from the inside out.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/19/04 10:55 PM
Here's mine.

A drug has been found that can control a group of people. During a press conference to show how well the drug works one of the group being controlled calls someone out of the audience to show an example of his powers. Unknown to him the person he calls upon is actually one of his own kind, and an assassin.
Posted By: Stargazer Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/20/04 01:11 AM
LL-
I am gonna take a wild shot in the dark.
This is totally a guess..is it Scanners?
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/20/04 04:33 AM
Pretty good shot you have their Stargazer. Hate to see how you'd do in the light. smile

Scanners is indeed the movie I was describing.
Posted By: Stargazer Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/21/04 01:34 AM
I am pretty good in the dark and light..just cant prove it...LOL

No one has guessed at mine so here is hint #1

It jumps from tree to tree.
Posted By: Bevis Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/21/04 06:24 AM
ooh, is it Predator?
Posted By: Stargazer Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/22/04 02:41 AM
Bevis..you got it. Too easy right?
Posted By: Bevis Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/22/04 06:30 AM
I dunno, it was something about the trees that just clicked. The original clue left me... well, clueless. wink

Hmm, gonna have to try and think of an easy one since I'm not going to be around after today for a week.

OK, a woman hears footsteps upsatirs but it is apparent that everyone who is in the house is elsewhere, apart from the woman's daughter who is sat on the stairs.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/26/04 12:53 PM
Pretty good shot you have their Stargazer. Hate to see how you'd do in the light. smile

Scanners is indeed the movie I was describing.
Great scene! Best head-exploding scene EVER in a movie!

I've been away from this thread too long! And now that I show back up, I'm stumped... laugh
Posted By: Stargazer Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/27/04 04:38 AM
That one sounds familiar..I can't place the title..something like Are You Alone?

I know its not Home Alone. LOL
Posted By: Bevis Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/31/04 12:40 PM
OK, later in the same scene said woman goes into a room filled with furniture covered in dust sheets. She can hear someone, or something, whispering just on the edge of her hearing. Trying to find where the sound is coming from she frantically starts tearing off the dust sheets to reveal what lies under them.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/31/04 02:39 PM
The Others?
Posted By: Bevis Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/31/04 06:26 PM
That's the one Blacula, you're up.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 11/01/04 12:28 AM
Great choice of film Bevis. I've really gotta see that again.

OK - this next scene is from a film I have always wanted to see and finally got the chance to a couple of nights ago.

A woman goes into an old fortune-teller's tent to have her future read. When he sees grim tidings in her cards (or is it tea? - I can't remember) he asks to see her palm. To his sadness he sees the outline of a pentagram flash up on it and knows what her grim fate is to be. Warning her to quickly flee from the tent she does so, but is quickly caught and killed by... something.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 11/04/04 02:43 PM
Think oooold school.
Posted By: Bevis Re: Name that Horror Scene - 11/04/04 03:19 PM
It's not The Werewolf or whatever it's called with Oliver Reed as the werewolf is it? It sort of sounds vaguely familiar in a Hammer Horror kind of way.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 11/04/04 11:32 PM
*Very* close Bevis. Think even older though.
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: Name that Horror Scene - 11/05/04 01:55 AM
"The Wolf Man" with Lon Cheney?
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 11/05/04 01:20 PM
You got it Drake. One of the "Classic" horror films. Quite good too.
Posted By: Bevis Re: Name that Horror Scene - 11/05/04 02:05 PM
Ack so close. I knew it sounded familiar though. I think I'd seen the Oli Reed one recently though which is why it came to mind.
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: Name that Horror Scene - 11/05/04 09:07 PM
Ok, new scene:
shaky video camera footage shows a church entrance ... a dark, cloaked figure emerges ... can't quite tell who it is...(this scene is repeated several times until the end of the movie when the figure is revealed)
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: Name that Horror Scene - 11/07/04 12:29 PM
hint: stepping through the looking glass...
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: Name that Horror Scene - 11/10/04 12:38 AM
hint: the director of this film has been mentioned in this thread already.
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: Name that Horror Scene - 11/11/04 12:52 PM
hint: Donald Pleasence
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 11/13/04 06:36 PM
confused

I'm tempted to do 'online research', but I feel like that's cheating when I do that! I must have *some* idea...
Posted By: King of Snake Re: Name that Horror Scene - 11/13/04 07:26 PM
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
Ok, new scene:
shaky video camera footage shows a church entrance ... a dark, cloaked figure emerges ... can't quite tell who it is...(this scene is repeated several times until the end of the movie when the figure is revealed)
I'm new to this, but is it Prince of Darkness?
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: Name that Horror Scene - 11/14/04 01:40 AM
And E. gets it! "Prince of Darkness" it is - and I was beginning to think I had killed this thread. Your turn to offer up a scene, E. smile
Posted By: Bevis Re: Name that Horror Scene - 11/22/04 03:23 PM
Bump.
Posted By: Brainiac 5 Re: Name that Horror Scene - 12/02/04 05:48 AM
re-bump
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 12/02/04 12:00 PM
Maybe someone else should just go ahead and ask a question?
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 12/29/04 02:45 PM
Here's an easy one to get us back on track:

Its bedtime, and little Robbie looks at his chair where his clown was sitting, only to see it missing. He looks about the room and with great hesitation, peeks under his bed. But nothing's there! When he gets up the clown is behind him with an evil grin and starts choking the poor kid.
Posted By: .. Re: Name that Horror Scene - 12/29/04 10:44 PM
isn't that poltergiest?
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 12/30/04 12:58 AM
It sure is. One of the final scenes. You get the next one deddy.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 01/19/05 05:31 PM
Jeepers Deddy, you're up!
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: Name that Horror Scene - 01/19/05 11:54 PM
AFAIK, Ded's still on a break.

Someone may just want to jump in with one if folks want to keep this going.
Posted By: .. Re: Name that Horror Scene - 01/20/05 12:40 PM
umm...not sure when i'll be able to confirm the winner of this, so i pm'd the answer to cobie.

The salvage man followed the beauful woman down the hallway. as she walked, she undressed. The man...thinking he's going to get lucky pursues her. Finally she stops at the elevator. The man moves to embrace her, only to have her vanish, as he falls to his death down the elevator shaft.
Posted By: Bevis Re: Name that Horror Scene - 01/20/05 01:22 PM
That's from Ghost Ship, which I only saw for the first time a couple of weeks back. Not the greatest film ever, but I sort of liked it. It didn't quite know if it wanted to be a gore-fest or a creepy ghost story and I think it might have worked better ebing more stright up creepy, but there we go.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 01/20/05 02:47 PM
Bevis is right, and quick too! (Dedman PMed me the answer, as he's not sure when he'll be able to check in next).

I've never seen Ghost Ship...might have to check it out.

You're up, Lucien Lad!
Posted By: Bevis Re: Name that Horror Scene - 01/20/05 02:50 PM
heh, right place, right time I guess. laugh

OK, the mad inventor (already brought back from the dead himself) is chased by a re-animated mummy into one vat and then another, at which point he utters a very famous line.
Posted By: Bevis Re: Name that Horror Scene - 01/25/05 07:34 AM
Bumping this up with another scene.

The sister of the mad scientist at one point asks if the hero minds her smoking. He doesn't, so she smokes. Lots and lots.
Posted By: lancesrealm Re: Name that Horror Scene - 01/25/05 01:37 PM
Sounds like a line from The Addams Family...
Posted By: Bevis Re: Name that Horror Scene - 01/25/05 01:46 PM
Nope, much earlier than that. Sort of similar type of film though.
Posted By: lancesrealm Re: Name that Horror Scene - 01/25/05 03:10 PM
hmm...Abbot and Costello Meet the Mummy?
Posted By: Bevis Re: Name that Horror Scene - 01/25/05 07:26 PM
Nope.

Possibly I'm being a little too British in my choice of this film. Think Hammer Horror, only not.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 03/06/05 07:16 AM
Ok, I have to make the guess now, although I've cheated a little. The funny thing about this is that my parents were actually discussing this movie the other day and how much they hated it. It had William Shatner, Ernest Borgnine, John Travolta and a whole bunch of others, but it was so different from everything they'd done before. I assume Shatner is the one you are talking about Scott.

Anton Lavey is of course the founder of the Church of Satan and the writer of the Satanic Bible. I'm sure his involvement in the film makes this horror movie even more 'creepy' tongue

The movie: "Devil's Rain", circa 1975, although I've never seen it. Now my curiousity is peaked! My parents are NOT horror fans at all, so they're hating the movie doesn't tell me much...

I'm pretty sure I'm right, what do you say, Scott?
I know you probably have passed out by now Cobie but Devil's Rain is showing in 45 minutes on AMC. I'm going to TiVo it and then tranfer it to my laptop and try to make a DVD out of it. If you haven't caught it yet, let me know and I'll attempt to make you a DVD of it.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 03/06/05 07:18 AM
And while I'm at it, any more clues Bevis? I know this one sounds familiar but I just can't put a name to it.
Posted By: Bevis Re: Name that Horror Scene - 03/07/05 07:32 AM
Ok, it's one of a long series of films (30 in total I think) that had many fo the same actors appearing in each film. The one I'm looking for is the only one in the horror genre though.
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: Name that Horror Scene - 03/08/05 02:07 AM
Wouldn't be one of the "Carry On" films, would it?
Posted By: Bevis Re: Name that Horror Scene - 03/08/05 07:32 AM
It would indeed. The famous line is 'Frying Tonight', uttered by the fabulous Kenneth Williams.
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: Name that Horror Scene - 03/10/05 04:55 AM
I'll take that to mean that it's my turn at bat.

I'll have to go thru the thread to make sure I'm not duplicating a question. Then I'll need to make up a question. Be back soon.
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: Name that Horror Scene - 03/12/05 04:42 AM
Right, this one shouldn't long to figure out.

Three words: "Choke on 'em".
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 03/12/05 04:23 PM
Scooter, I just saw this today, so I missed the initial post, but thanks a ton! If you made a DVD for yourself, I'd love to see the movie! laugh It actually sounds right up my alley (some nights it just has to be the more gruesome B-horror the better laugh ). BTW, was this the first time you watched it in a long time? And if so, how was it again?

I really need to stay on top of this thread...

And OM (as I'm rushing to type this before someone else gets it), "Choke on 'em" is the classic ending to "Day of the Dead" by George Romero! Classic Zombie Horror!
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 03/12/05 04:30 PM
I should have mentioned that "Bub the Zombie" is just one of those horror characters that, how should I say, "broke new ground" wink

I'm pretty positive I'm right, so I'll do the next question, and I'll do two, one very easy, to keep the thread moving along (whoever gets either can do a question, so we two going at the same time):

1. To copy OM, all you need is this one word..."groovy" (I know, waaaaaaaay easy, but that scene *had* to be added to this eventually wink )

2. In a classic horror movie (not the original), the protagnists attempt to figure out how to defeat this strange monster, and eventually it is the female that comes up with the sensible plan "why don't we cook it?"
Posted By: Semi Transparent Fellow Re: Name that Horror Scene - 03/12/05 04:31 PM
I'll defer to Cobie when it comes to knowledge of re-animated dead flesh. However, I was going to guess "Tremors."
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: Name that Horror Scene - 03/12/05 11:32 PM
And OM (as I'm rushing to type this before someone else gets it), "Choke on 'em" is the classic ending to "Day of the Dead" by George Romero! Classic Zombie Horror!
Bingo.

I once read that the actor improvised the line. Initially Romero wasn't going to let him, because the stuff the guy was coming up with on his own wasn't working. But that bit did.

Is #2 "The Blob", Cobie?
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 03/14/05 05:46 PM
No, but good guess though, OM! You're on the right track for a few reasons...
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: Name that Horror Scene - 03/16/05 02:46 AM
No, I'm a dope. They froze "The Blob" if memory serves.

I'll say "The Thing".
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 03/16/05 02:48 AM
Scooter, I just saw this today, so I missed the initial post, but thanks a ton! If you made a DVD for yourself, I'd love to see the movie! laugh It actually sounds right up my alley (some nights it just has to be the more gruesome B-horror the better laugh ). BTW, was this the first time you watched it in a long time? And if so, how was it again?
Haven't had time to watch it yet but I'm going to start the process of transfering it from my TiVo to my laptop tonight. If I can get the software to finally work I'll make up a DVD this weekend.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 03/16/05 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
No, I'm a dope. They froze "The Blob" if memory serves.

I'll say "The Thing".
And you are right on, my friend! "The Thing from Outer Space", correct? (Wasn't the remake only called 'The Thing'?)

It was one of the films to inspire John Carpenter to do horror (I think the first ever movie with an actor to be doused in flames in a suit) and one of the first horror movies I ever saw. It absolutely terrified a young Cobie, and I used to have to watch it only with my Dad...

You're up OM!
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 03/16/05 02:56 AM
[b]Scooter, I just saw this today, so I missed the initial post, but thanks a ton! If you made a DVD for yourself, I'd love to see the movie! laugh It actually sounds right up my alley (some nights it just has to be the more gruesome B-horror the better laugh ). BTW, was this the first time you watched it in a long time? And if so, how was it again?
Haven't had time to watch it yet but I'm going to start the process of transfering it from my TiVo to my laptop tonight. If I can get the software to finally work I'll make up a DVD this weekend.[/b]
Awesome! Scooter, as always you rawk too much for words smile
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 03/16/05 03:13 AM
Wasn't "Groovy" Ash from Evil Dead 2?
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 03/16/05 03:26 AM
Oh yeah wink
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 01/26/14 07:43 PM
It's never to late to bring a thread about horror movies back from the dead.

Here's a scene:-

Our desperate protagonist spots someone who was a close friend during the film across a town square. He goes to her, hoping she will still be on his side, only to find that she isn't.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 02/09/14 10:55 PM
Hint: This is a remake of a 1950s film.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 03/19/14 04:18 PM
<--- Points at thothkins and let's out an eerie open-mouthed screech.

I'm thinking this is the Invasion of the Body Snatchers remake (great film by the way!), but don't you have the characters reversed?

And thanks for bumping this thread too! What a blast from the past!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 03/19/14 07:32 PM
smile Ha! You're so right. The movie in my head has always done that for this film. I think it's possibly to do the much more famous actor not getting to be the hero that does it. I didn't even notice as I typed it.

Thanks for answering. I thought I was the only zombie in a shambling horde for a minute there.

You're up Blacula!
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 03/21/14 05:11 PM
We used to name two scenes back in the old days which kept this thread moving so I'll name two in case other people want to join in.

1: A rather large lady is eating popcorn in front of the television when she gets a nasty surprise from inside the bucket.

2: A young lawyer realises there is more to his new client than he thought when the client visits him in his bedroom one night.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 03/24/14 12:53 AM
The first scene is from a movie about creepy-crawlies.

The second is from one of the most famous horror stories of all time.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 03/24/14 01:57 AM
Duh! Missed this one as the board went in for maintenance yesterday.

Something else else like Tarantula (Tarantulas) for the first? I seem to recall a cereal box with a spider in it that has haunted me to this day smile

The second is possibly Dracula?
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 03/24/14 10:44 PM
Is no. 1 "Arachnophobia"? Not sure about this, but thothkins' guess made me think of that one. It certainly feels like I've seen that scene somewhere.... hmmm
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 03/25/14 02:38 AM
Is number 2 Cape Fear?
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 03/25/14 01:01 PM
#1 is 'Arachnophobia'. A fun little, scary movie that one was.

And #2 is Dracula (close enough). I was specifically thinking of this famous scene from 'Nosferatu' -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1djGyCj1vCk

Over to Paladin and thothkins.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 03/25/14 04:55 PM
#1 Three family members (+1 spouse) await the arrival of a fourth family member for their regular marking of an important family event.

#2 Following a trek through the NYC sewers a photographer is shown exactly why one of the homeless people living there needs a gun and why he was too injured to get it himself.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/24/18 05:00 PM
Bump since horror movies have made a return to some other threads.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/24/18 06:59 PM
Gosh! I have no memory of this thread whatsoever and yet I was an active participant in it?!
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/24/18 08:27 PM
Guesses:

1. The Last House on the Left?
2. Alligator?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/24/18 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by Blacula
Gosh! I have no memory of this thread whatsoever and yet I was an active participant in it?!

That's okay. I have no memory of asking the question. I hope I can remember the answers.

1. The Last House on the Left?

Nope. The antagonist following my scene is going to be someone they know

2. Alligator?[/quote]
Good guess. But it's not a film with a giant single creature in it.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/25/18 04:11 AM
1. The Hills Have Eyes
2. Mimic

?
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/25/18 05:26 AM
1. You're Next
2. Tremors ?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/25/18 08:35 AM
No correct answers yet.

1. Three family members (+1 spouse) await the arrival of a fourth family member for their regular marking of an important family event.

This film is after Last House on the Left and the Hills have Eyes and well before You're next. The story this scene is form is not the only story in the film. The antagonist introduced following my scene is going to be someone they know

2. This film is after Alligator but before Mimic and Tremors. Following a trek through the NYC sewers a photographer is shown exactly why one of the homeless people living there needs a gun and why he was too injured to get it himself.

A lot of the action takes place in the city sewers, and it's not only the homeless but anyone going near underground that's at risk from a group of creatures.

Not:-
The Last House on the Left
The Hills Have Eyes
You're Next

2. Alligator
Mimic
Tremors
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/25/18 12:45 PM
1. Creepshow
2. CHUD
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/25/18 02:40 PM
^ I was about to say CHUD too. For the first one I'll guess Trilogy of Terror?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/26/18 01:55 PM
Kappa gets both!

Creepshow is a favourite: This particular story is about a family who get back together to celebrate the birthday of their deceased relative...

CHUD is a deceptively good film. It's actually an ensemble piece with a could of parallel main plots. Well worth a watch. Following this question, the photographer sees the chunck that's been bitten out of the guy's leg. It's why they all feel the need for more protection.

Over to you Kappa!
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/26/18 02:19 PM
1. The descendant of a notable aid to Dracula gets more than he bargained for when he and his hippie friends spend their night enjoying some good old fashioned black magic.

2. A woman thinks she's going to have a relaxing bathtub soak, but a certain parasitic slug decides it has other plans for her.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/26/18 02:22 PM
The second one might be Slither I think?
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/26/18 02:51 PM
Nope, not Slither!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/26/18 04:23 PM
1. Taste the Blood of Dracula?

2. I wanted to just say Slugs, but I'm going with Cronenberg's Shivers.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/26/18 08:02 PM
1. Nope, not TTBoD. Getting closer.

2. Yep, Shiver it is! Otherwise, known as They Come From Within smile
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/26/18 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Kappa Kid
1. Nope, not TTBoD. Getting closer.

If not that, then what about Dracula 1972. Caroline Munro was in that.

2. Yep, Shiver it is! Otherwise, known as They Come From Within smile [/quote]

known during shooting as "Orgy of the Blood Parasites." smile
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/26/18 08:40 PM
Yep, AD 1972 it is! One of the more underrated Hammer flicks IMO.

Back to you, thoth
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 08/27/18 04:51 PM
There was an updated Dracula one that had a sort of thriller-type plot to it. But I can't remember if it was this one with Stephanie Beacham. I had thought it was Scars, but a quick peek tells me it's The Satanic Rites of Dracula. Tapping into the vein (tee hee) of the Dennis Wheatley films they'd made and just at the time of folk horror to produce a film title that made me roll my eyes. But it's a much better film than the title suggests.

New Q shortly...
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/03/18 12:52 PM
Paging Mr. thoth for the next round. wink
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/08/18 11:44 PM
1. A sideshow man's assistant predicts death for one of the crowd.

2. A man is searching for a cat. Along the way, he pauses to allow the water falling from a cooling pipe wash his head.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/10/18 03:22 AM
#2 is definitely Alien.

#1 is... Freaks?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/10/18 07:32 PM
2 is indeed Alien.

1. A sideshow man's assistant predicts death for one of the crowd. That night the death comes to pass as the member of the crowd is murdered.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/14/18 09:41 PM
It sounds like it should be a familiar/common trope/scene but I have a feeling this is going to be from a movie I haven't watched.

It's got a Stephen King sort of feeling to it too but I can't think of any of his stories set in circuses.

I'll guess... Creepshow?
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/14/18 09:55 PM
Torture Garden?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/14/18 10:44 PM
It's not Creepshow or Torture Garden.

1. A sideshow man's assistant predicts death for one of the crowd. That night the death comes to pass as the member of the crowd is murdered. The murder is actually committed by the sideshow man's assistant.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/15/18 01:49 AM
The Funhouse?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/15/18 10:51 AM
Not The Funhouse

1. A sideshow man's assistant predicts death for one of the crowd. That night the death comes to pass as the member of the crowd is murdered. The murder is actually committed by the sideshow man's assistant. The assistant is unaware that he's committing the murders, because he's being controlled by the sideshow man.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/15/18 07:58 PM
confused

Howling VI: The Freaks
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/16/18 09:29 AM
Not Howling. Big hints to come.

1. A sideshow man's assistant predicts death for one of the crowd. That night the death comes to pass as the member of the crowd is murdered. The murder is actually committed by the sideshow man's assistant. The assistant is unaware that he's committing the murders, because he's being controlled by the sideshow man. The assistant is unaware of the control because he's a somnambulist, and the crimes are committed while he's in this state.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/17/18 09:40 PM
I'm totally bamboozled. shrug
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/17/18 10:28 PM
More hints!

1. A sideshow man's assistant predicts death for one of the crowd. That night the death comes to pass as the member of the crowd is murdered. The murder is actually committed by the sideshow man's assistant. The assistant is unaware that he's committing the murders, because he's being controlled by the sideshow man. The assistant is unaware of the control because he's a somnambulist, and the crimes are committed while he's in this state.

The somnambulist assistant turns out to actually have been an inmate at an asylum. And the sideshow man is really a Doctor at the asylum.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/18/18 01:20 AM
I have no idea but I will guess... Doctor Sleep? (I think that's a Stephen King book. Not sure if it's been turned into a movie yet.)
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/18/18 07:14 PM

The somnambulist assistant turns out to actually have been an inmate at an asylum. And the sideshow man is really a Doctor at the asylum.

The Doctor keeps the somnambulist assistant in a coffin like Cabinet.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/19/18 04:54 AM
haha Well haven't we all been exposed for our lack of knowledge about foundational movies in horror cinema!

Might this be... The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari?

I really need to see that one day.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/19/18 08:16 AM
Yay! It is The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

I saw a pic of it recently, and rotten tomatoes has it has one of it's highest scoring films of all time. Admittedly that will be based on it's usual 2 reviewers and a dog that still gets it prominence on wiki.

I got too focussed on the plot instead of trying to get in things like "German" "expressionist" and "1920s"

It is well worth a watch.

Over to you Blacula.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/19/18 07:57 PM
(Question: Do we want to continue with the two movie scenes thing? This is the only game thread that does it and it kinda feels weird asking a new question while someone else's is still waiting to be solved. It can also be a little confusing I think.)

I'll ask one question for now and then add another one if the crowd implores me to. smile

Scene: A sexy, nubile teenager has just found her very 80s boyfriend lying next to a cigarette machine with his throat slit. She runs back to tell her friends but, just as she gets to them, her head is blown up by a lazer beam.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/19/18 10:05 PM
I'll ask one question for now and then add another one if the crowd implores me to. smile

"The spirit of Christ compels you! The Spirit of Christ compels you!" smile

I'm fine with the one. I think that came about in case the single question was a bit tough and interest started to flag. I don't mind either way in the slightest.

Scene: A sexy, nubile teenager has just found her very 80s boyfriend lying next to a cigarette machine with his throat slit. She runs back to tell her friends but, just as she gets to them, her head is blown up by a lazer beam.[/quote]

Laserblast?
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/20/18 12:51 AM
Chopping Mall?
Posted By: Blacula Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/20/18 01:04 AM
That's the one KK. I'd heard about it ages ago but finally got around to watching it last weekend. It was quite fun but I wish they'd mixed it up a bit with the threats. It got a bit old after a while watching the robots just roll around firing laser beams at people. Some good scenes though.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/21/18 02:01 AM
A milkman going about his delivery routine is killed when he finds a vicious stowaway aboard his van.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/22/18 09:11 PM
Hmmm. Something else else's at the back of my mind, but is determined to stay there. And I'm not going into the dark to get it. Basket Case?
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/24/18 07:31 PM
Nope!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/24/18 07:35 PM
Bah...not even a "that's really close thoth" smile

The Brood?
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/26/18 06:38 PM
No pudgy Oliver Reed in this one unfortunately. smile
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/26/18 10:01 PM
Am I along the right lines in thinking it's some sort of child-thing? I seem to have that stuck in my head.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/26/18 11:27 PM
Yes you are smile
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/26/18 11:48 PM
Rosemary's Foetus...no that won't work...

It's Alive?
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/28/18 03:26 AM
It's Alive it is! smile
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/29/18 09:19 PM
A space shuttle is researching the scheduled arrival of a comet, when they spot something unusual...
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/30/18 06:07 PM
Lifeforce?
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 09/30/18 08:01 PM
Got it in one Kappa! Over to you.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Name that Horror Scene - 10/01/18 07:18 PM
A visit to a sex shop results in a traumatizing encounter between a reporter and a criminal.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Name that Horror Scene - 01/17/21 06:37 PM
Even after all this time, I'm still going to need a clue on this one.
© Legion World