Legion World
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 06/10/08 07:48 PM
In playing up that I have been abducted (and Fat Cramer thinking I am in France) I thought "why not make it a game?"

So, I have been abducted and will provide clues to my location. The person who correctly locates me can either get "abducted" themselves and provide similar clues to their location or I can get "abducted" again and provide clues to a new location.

OK First place:

I am tied up and blindfolded. I can hear the sound of waves on a beach. I heard one person call out "Bon Jour!" and another person responded in a different language. I was fed a chicken curry dish made with bananas, pineapple, and rum. At one point I heard some rumbling and a small explosion. Shortly after that people outside were complaining about all the ash.

If I come across any more clues, I'll let you know.
Posted By: Novelty Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 06/10/08 08:32 PM
Haiti?
Not Haiti, but you are warm.
Martinique?
That is indeed where I am. Mount Pelée was the rumbling and small explaosion.

Now do you want to be "Abducted" or shall I be again?
I'll go... but continue your 'abduction'! Hopefully future questioners can include you in the descriptions as well.

From Martinique, I have followed Quis' kidnappers back and forth over land and sea several times before crossing thousands of miles of ocean.

We are now on an almost uninhabited island in which Quis' kidnappers have taken refuge, hiding from the isle's sole caretaker, an environmental scientist from the looks of him; he seems moree concerned with checking the weater equipment than patrolling the island. I overheard one of the kidnappers say we are 112 miles from the mainland.

Several hundred wild horses run free on this cresent-shaped island; it is very sandy with mostly grasses and other short vegetation. It is often very foggy, helping me hide from the kidnappers.
Having looked around on a world map, my guess is Sable Island, Canada
Posted By: Novelty Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 06/13/08 03:43 PM
I am gonna guess Assateague, Maryland without looking at any maps...
Quis is correct!
I know Kent has a bit of a fetish for Canada. wink

Just as the Mounties were about to get their man and free me, my abductors whisked me away.

I am pretty sure that I am in a city. In the morning I can hear foghorns sounding. During the day, I hear a "clang, clang, clang" sound periodically. I also heard someone asking if this was the way to Telegraph Hill.
Clang, clang, clang goes the cable cars near Telegraph Hill, San Francisco.
That's correct.
Suddenly, my captors whisk me away on an airplane. In this new place, they dine on raw fish with rice. I guess that makes sense, since they speak of attending a "diet meeting", although from the context, it sounds more like politics than like Weight Watchers.
It is about an 11 hour flight from San Francisco to Tokyo.
Indeed it is.
From Toyko, we took a boat and came to an island. One of my abductors laughs everytime someone used a papertowel for some reason.
Posted By: Vee Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 06/16/08 08:25 PM
Are you on the Bounty Islands in the South Pacific?
And the name of the island?
Posted By: Vee Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 06/16/08 09:24 PM
Well, I have a one in thirteen chance of guessing! laugh

How about Depot Island shrug
No, not Depot Island.

Oh wait, are you saying there is a group of islands named the Bounty Islands? Not those islands.
Posted By: Vee Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 06/16/08 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
No, not Depot Island.

Oh wait, are you saying there is a group of islands named the Bouty Islands? Not those islands.
Yep, the Bounty Islands are a grouping of 13 islands south of New Zealand and they fall under NZ's jurisdiction. Discovered by Capt. Bligh and named after his ship the HMS Bounty shortly before the famous mutiny.

Bounty being a popular brand of paper towels they sounded like a good choice to answer your clue regarding paper towels.
You have the clue. You just haven't followed it far enough.
Is Pitcairn Island what you're thinking of?
It certainly is!
My, these kidnapers certainly like islands. Now they've taken me somewhere in the United States, east of Maine. When I ask them the name of the island, though, they never answer me - they seem instead to always be practicing for a performance of Julius Caesar.
East of Maine, eh? But still in the US?
Yup.
"Brr, it's cold here," said my captor. "I wish we were in Bora Bora instead of in a barabara."
Arcadia National Park?
Nope.
Little Diomede Island?
You're in the neighborhood. Just look over the clues again and maybe you can find the brutes that kidnapped me.
I chose Little Diomede for the Shakespeare connection.
the barabara and the cold had me looking at the Aleutian islands for a Shakespearish name, but I came up blank, and the larger Diomede island is in Russia.

I'll guess St. Lawrence Island for no reason at all as my parting guess on this one.
Don't think of a name associated with Shakespeare. It's just famous lines from Julius Caesar that concern these brutes.
OK, I'm on the verge of leaving for a two-week vacation, so I'll give Kent the next turn, since he at least got the Aleutians.

The correct answer was Attu. As in "Attu, Brute? Then Fall Caesar!"
I thought that was "Et tu, Brute." oh, well. Happy vacation, amigo!

I have been whisked away to a hot, humid tropical place where I am fed lots of curry dishes. I get limited sunlight, but the other day it sounded like a huge engine blasted, perhaps a rocket.
The Black Hole of Calcutta?
Posted By: Novelty Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 06/23/08 01:25 PM
Madras?
you're both in the right part of the world, but a little off.
Calling Dr. Bombay?
nope... it's a place that's less commonly well known.
it'll probably take a very little bit of googling.
Posted By: Novelty Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 06/24/08 10:40 AM
Shriharikota only because I was reading about it last week while researching the upcoming missions to the moon.
Novelty has it!
I would have accepted one of India's other launch sites too.
Posted By: Novelty Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 06/26/08 10:49 AM
Ack, I'm in the middle of a swamp and I think I'm back in the United States. I wasn't 100% concious when I was brought here, but I thought I caught a glimpse of Lady Liberty on the boat ride to the swamp. Those pesky kidnappers were whispering about meeting someone named Elizabeth to get supplies, or something like that...
Would that be New Jersey?
Posted By: Novelty Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 06/27/08 11:21 AM
I'm looking for the name of a swamp though, not a state smile
Would that be the Great Swamp?
Posted By: Novelty Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 06/28/08 02:35 AM
Yes, your go Quis.
Well, it is really cold out and the wind is constantly howling outside. When I fall asleep it is pitch dark outside and when I wake up it is still pitch dark outside. I heard one of my kidnappers worrying about being near another volcano and another one wondering what to do if Rockhopper Lad is spotted in the area.
Posted By: Novelty Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 06/30/08 02:19 PM
Mount Erebus? Or am I far too south?
Close to Mount Erebus
Posted By: lancesrealm Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 07/01/08 10:07 PM
Is it Mt. Terror?
Hmmm. where in the world is Mt. Terror?

Where I am at, there seems to be a bunch of scientific equipment in the room they have locked me in.
Posted By: Novelty Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 07/05/08 03:24 AM
McMurdo?
Yup, I just heard the kidnappers say we were at McMurdo Station when I got whisked into an airplane.

Your turn Novelty.
Posted By: Novelty Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 07/07/08 01:24 PM
The also mention something about bringing you to a LAKE (so name the lake). When you got there, the people there (you think they are European...) spoke no English but instead spoke a Slavic language (it helps when you have a Polish background...). It was a short flight to this new place. It is pitch dark outside and the sun still doesn't seem to shine... perhaps you are underground? The captors speak too fast and softly for you to make out any words you could understand. The only words you understood the captors saying are "Rockhopper Lad".
Lake Vostok?
Posted By: Novelty Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 07/08/08 11:14 AM
Lake Vostok it is. Your go BB.
I think someone's getting close, things were packed up rather quickly and after a very fast and long elevator ride I got glimpses of sunlight through my blindfold and the smell of salt air before being loaded on to a large plane. At least two more have been added to our little party. Why have we been kidnapped? Where is help?

We've landed after several hours.

These kidnappers have resources but they sure hire talkative help. One language I cannot understand but sometimes they are speaking spanish. We've been driving in a Jeep or SUV for hours yet I feel hardly a bump. Funny, I still smell the salt in the air but I hear no waves and I feel some sense of altitude sickness.
Are you on the Millau Bridge, in the South of France?
Posted By: Doctor One Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 07/09/08 06:00 PM
You're in the Salar de Uyuni, in Bolivia
That's it!

Your turn.
Posted By: Doctor One Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 07/11/08 02:25 AM
Two days in a car. Bumpy, horrible roads. The second day, it gets warmer. Stickier. At the end of the second day they put you in a boat. But the smell of salt is completely gone. Many hours later you finally get a glimpse of the outside. The sky is full of parrots, red, with long tails. They all want to eat mud from the side of a cliff.
Posted By: KryptonKid Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 07/11/08 06:45 AM
Coiba, Panama?
Posted By: Doctor One Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 07/11/08 12:17 PM
No.
Posted By: Doctor One Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 07/11/08 10:02 PM
Oh, oh
I hope I haven't killed the thread. I'll give it until tomorrow, if nothing happens the kidnappers are going to take Quis somewhere else.
My guess is that they took you a mountain route to the "world's most dangerous road," (good thing you were blindfolded) then to Rurrenabaque (stickier) where you got on the boat, probably the Beni River.

Then?

Parrots and mud...

If I'm right so far I can think of two places.

Has there been a change in language?
Posted By: Doctor One Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 07/12/08 02:05 AM
You're very warm. But in the wrong country.
No change in language.
I was thinking Pantanal in Brazil but if there's no language change,...., hmmm. Either still in Bolivia or must have gone north to Peru? I'll have to check with my Parrot experts and get back to you.
Manu National Park in Peru?
Posted By: Doctor One Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 07/12/08 03:09 PM
Yes! You're up.
(the cliff with the parrots is in Tambopata, close by. Image-Google it, it's quite impressive...)
Last night we were packed up quickly and put on a flight. I cannot tell, which direction. We're now in a shack with no way to see or hear out but Quis keeps saying he smells somethong in the air.
I think we need a few more clues. Like what do I think I smell.
"somethong."

laugh
Copacabana beach in Rio?
"somethong" heh, I was so proud of that.

Your turn.
Whisked away again. The kidnappers have strapped me into a wheelchair and bandage my whole head to hide the gag. I can tell that after we landed we were in a train. I could hear people on the train asking about me. The kidnappers said I was a burn victim. I heard an announcement on the train for L'Enfant Plaza.

Later, I heard one of the kidnappers say that we were in the building with the most stories in the world.
heh,

clever.
Library of Congress.
Yup, that's where I am. You're up Chaim
My captors elude the police by ducking through shelves of books, and put me into a vehicle which brings me to an airport, and an airplane flight that lasts about half a day. For some reason, they keep singing "Keep on Truckin'", though I certainly haven't been in a truck all this time. An interesting comment they made: one said "I'm glad I didn't need to change currencies for this place." and another responded, "True, but don't ask our neighbors to the west for change of a buck - they don't walk around with their money, they walk around their money."
Just the other day, one of my captors asked for some time off to go diving amongst the WW II shipwrecks.
Pearl Harbor?
Nope.
Posted By: Doctor One Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 07/16/08 11:49 PM
I can't play anymore, I'm leaving tomorrow...
Have fun.
Posted By: Novelty Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 07/17/08 10:14 AM
Guam.
Close, but a bit too far north.
Are these clues so tough that I should just chuck it and have Quis move to a new location? Maybe to a state in a country that is not so small it takes a microscope to notice it? (note: the above sentences contains two clues, but the question is also meant seriously)
I'll guess American Samoa.
You're all around the right area, but it's not an American state or American-controlled territory...at least not anymore, it isn't.
The Philippines?
Nope, you'd have to change currencies from the US to the Phillipines.

Recap of the clues:

- They sing "Keep on Truckin'"
- Place uses US Dollars
- Neighbors to west have coins that they can walk around
- Diving for WW II shipwrecks
- Territory formerly controlled by US
- A few punnish hints (to point them out would be to practically give away the answer) in the message where I ask if I should move on to a different location.
I'm stumped. However, give it the weekend to see if anyone else gets it.
OK, I'll give it the weekend. I move him Monday if no one can find him by then.
Posted By: Novelty Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 07/19/08 04:10 AM
Koror? or wait, I change that to Saipan.
I think you were closer with Koror, because we should be south of guam, Saipan is north.

Originally posted by Chaim Mattis Keller:
Are these clues so tough that I should just chuck it and have Quis move to a new location? Maybe to a state in a country that is not so small it takes a microscope to notice it? (note: the above sentences contains two clues, but the question is also meant seriously)
Truk is pronounced "chuck", which goes with your hint and your song. Truk is in Micronesia.

Currency to the west is "peso" so I'm not getting...

wait.

peso = "pace?"

That's bad. smile

I'm guessing Novelty's got the rightidea, wrong island.

Truk?
Truk, or Chuuk, is correct. Truk Lagoon was the location of the Japanese fleet's big base - their equivalent of Pearl Harbor - and diving amongst the wrecks of that battle remains a popular pasttime there.

The money to the west refers to huge stone money of Yap, which is the Micronesian state to the west of Chuuk.

Blockade Boy, the next location is yours.
After a long and torturous boat ride they hit the beach. The languages are english, spanish and a lot of "dude" and "knarley." People are dressed in many strange costumes and acting weirdly. This could be the end for Quis.
Are you in Rio for carnival?
I think we were just there though I can see the reasoning. Not so many thongs here but a lot of capes and even wild animals of all types. Someone named "Cobie???" mentioned heading south for a donkey show??? Must be an animal lover.
Ah - San Diego.
Where else would they go? smile

Your turn
Back in the boat headed west, landed on an island again. My captors are very disappointed. They expected to see a lot of beautiful girls in skimpy swimsuits, but all they got is deserted wasteland and a hyperactive Geiger counter.
No takers?? Sheesh, I'm gonna EXPLODE if no one gets this one.
patience. People at con and trying to give others a chance to play. If noone gets it in a day or two I'll take an itty bitty teeny weeny guess at it.
Good man.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 07/24/08 05:29 AM
Three Mile Island?
Nope, not Three Mile Island.
Posted By: Asteroid Al Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 07/24/08 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Chaim Mattis Keller:
Back in the boat headed west, landed on an island again. My captors are very disappointed. They expected to see a lot of beautiful girls in skimpy swimsuits, but all they got is deserted wasteland and a hyperactive Geiger counter.
Bikini Atoll.

[Have you no shame? 8-) ]
None atoll. wink

You're up, Al.
Posted By: Asteroid Al Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 07/25/08 10:57 AM
Not clever enough. Feel free to post another.
I'm taking over.

From Bikini Atoll we flew on into the dawn. The pilot kept complaining about the light being in his eyes. My captors have dressed me up as Hannibal Lector(so I can't talk and ask for help), but no one here has noticed. Although A few have taken my picture. There are a lot of people here and my guards have been complaining abot the cost of the food here.
Madame Tusseaud's wax museum?
Quis? You there?
Posted By: Stu Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 07/29/08 04:44 AM
You're at San Diego Comic-Con!
STU is correct. ($8 for a sandwich)

I don't know if STU will be back to post a new location, so, I'm just going to say that who ever wants to do the next one can.
Posted By: Stu Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 07/30/08 02:04 AM
From San Diego Comic-Con I was thrown in the back of a van and endured an uncomfortable ride. I'm taken out of the van and blindfolded, and marched for some distance. There seem to be a large number of people milling about.

I hear someone in a bad German (or is it French?) accent bark a series of instructions, and then I'm forcibly strapped into a vehicle, which briskly begins to move. When I manage to shrug my blindfold off, I realize that it's gotten dark, and snow is drifting in the background...
Swiss Alps?
Uncomfortable ride: PCHighway
marched for some distance: Burbank
bad accents and snow drifting? Snow is another word for Cocaine and bad accents happen in movies.

I say he's in Hollywood. laugh
My guess is he's at Disneyland riding the Matterhorn!
oh, that makes good sense. "Forcibly strapped into a vehicle."

Be honest, Chaim gave you the idea? smile
Posted By: Stu Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 07/31/08 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
My guess is he's at Disneyland riding the Matterhorn!
Yes, that is correct!

I love the rationale for "Hollywood," though... smile
Though I can't say Chaim didn't influence my answer, it was inspired at least as much by Scott and Caroline's visit to Disneyland during Comic Con.

After we left Disneyland, my captors dragged me off to a very flat place. I vaguely heard a place name that sounded rather salty. One of the kidnappers mentioned someone named Dorothy. My blindfold came off for a moment and I was surprised to see a neo-Gothic cathedral.
Salt Lake City?
Not Salt Lake City. It's not flat enough.

Flat, Dorothy and salty name are probably the things to focus on.
Salina, Kansas?
Posted By: lancesrealm Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 08/02/08 05:23 AM
The Bonneville salt flats?
Chaim has it. Salina, Kansas, is the answer.

One of the few things I know about that particular city is that it has a neo-Gothic cathedral of the type one rarely sees in this country outside of large cities.

Chaim's turn!
From Salina, we drive directly east for about half a day. I'm then taken aboard a ship which is floating in the water but not moving. My blindfold slips and I notice the decor seems to be about 500 years out of date, which I overhear my captors mentioning is also how long ago this city's namesake lived.
From what I overhear, Rutherford B. Hayes and William McKinley are amongst the chief executives whose headquarters were here.
Canton, Ohio?
You're close...
Columbus, Ohio?
You've discovered the correct answer!

(One tourist attraction in Columbus is a replica of Christopher Columbus's Santa Maria. That's what the first clue referred to.)
My captures fear that I'll soon be rescued from the replica of the Santa Maria in Columbus, Ohio. So, off I am whisked to the airport. We fly. We land. We fly. We land. We fly. We land. That took the better part of a day. Then we got on a boat for 6 days.

I've been eating a lot of curry as well as pumpkin stew and coconut fingers for dessert. The weather always seems a pleasant 70 degrees and there is a nice ocean breeze.

One of my captors said that no one will ever find us here. Another stuck his hand in his shirt before the leader told him to cut it out.
No one else has guesses here?

St. Helena.
"Darn it!" yelled the lead captor. "Quick get him to the boat or we are stuck here for another 30 days!"

Your turn Chaim.
The boat takes me east. When we hit land, my captors express a desire to hit the beach, though they argue over which ocean's shore they should do so at. The city we're in seems to be preparing for a major international sporting event, though the residents lament not being awarded the Olympics.
Posted By: Novelty Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 08/11/08 02:14 PM
Auckland?
Not quite that far.

Maybe one of the cliues threw you - it's debatable whether this city actually has beaches on two different oceans, but a number of places in this city are called the "Two Oceans (something)".
Capetown, South Africa?
Posted By: Novelty Re: Where in the world is Quislet, Esq.? - 08/12/08 03:55 PM
Perth, Australia?
Cape Town it is!
"Maybe we can get lost in a crowd" Said the leader. "But not a place that is crawling with reporters."

When we landed after the long flight, there was a torrential downpour. The driver almost hit a cow that was in the road. The leader bopped him on the head and said "Be more careful!" Still the streets are very wide and lined with trees.

Several young kids were flying kites. A mother yelled to them "Keep your strings loose. You want to have the kites fly very high on August 15th"
I've been eating a lot of curry again. And there was a small tremor the other day. This does seem to be a very crowded city. Lots of street noise.
I held out to give someone else a chance rather than continually bouncing between us, but if you're giving a second clue already, I'll just go ahead: you're in India.
That is correct, but I am looking for someplace more specific in India.
Bombay?
Nope. But I'll always remember Bernard Fox aka Dr. Bombay.

One of my captors keeps asking for a pastrami on rye, hold the onions, heavy on the mayo.
If he wanted pastrami, maybe he should have slaughtered that cow instead of dodging it.

He ain't going to find beef in an Indian Delhi.
Well it was a new Delhi. wink
My captors spot my would-be rescuers in the crowd. "Let's get out of here!" they yell, and we drive for hours - maybe a full day - over mountainous terrain. My ears pop. At the only border crossing we encounter, my captors have a little trouble with customs, as a new government had just taken over our destination country. They must be reading Gail Simone's Secret Six stories, because they seem to be discussing what one of the chatacters in that series would "Do."
"Maybe if we have a little time, we can see the highest mountain in the world," said one of my globe-trotting captors.
What would a Catman do if confronted by a dog eared book?

Kathmandu?
You got it, BB!
WWOOOOOOOooooooooo that had to be the longest tobaggan ride in history. We skipped across some sea and hit a jungle beach with a bunch of orange guys swearing about Oliver North?

I think I must have hit my head.
Nicaragua?
Olli made lot's of enemies some only a sea away from mainland asia. I guess he was just born to be a trouble maker.
Vietnam?
© Legion World