Legion World
Posted By: Fat Cramer Comic Book Chemistry - 09/06/05 09:45 AM
Watching an old Superman/Batman cartoon, there was a scene in which hydrochloric acid was poured on kryptonite, turning it into a harmless gas. This got me wondering what the chemical formula of that reaction would look like... probably only feasible under the laws of comic book chemistry...?

However, it led to a search for the molecular formula of kryptonite - which turns out to be an element (not a mineral as I had thought).

Obviously, we need a comic book periodic table. A few interesting accumulations of information to date:

Fictional chemical substances
Elements from the LSH series
Posted By: Somebody Re: Comic Book Chemistry - 09/06/05 11:09 AM
If Kryptonite is, as presented, radioactive, no chemical reaction could render it harmless (you could, perhaps, create a gaseous kryptonite chloride or somesuch, but that would still be radioactive).

But -ite is specifically reserved for oxygenated negative ions, so...
Posted By: Tamper Lad Re: Comic Book Chemistry - 09/06/05 11:36 AM
-ite is a chemical suffix reserved fore ions. For Chlorine the hierarchy of oxygenated ions is.

(Cl O)- Hypochlorite
(Cl O2)- Chlorite
(Cl 03)- Chorate
(Cl 04)- PerChlorate

What about all the multicoloured Kryptonite? Why do they have all sorts of different effects if the effect is only elemental? To get a a different colour those forms must have a different chemical/crystal structure. (Think diamonds versus charcoal both elemental forms of carbon)

Different radioactive isotopes have identical chemical properties, differing only in radioactive half-life and type of radioactive decay (alpha, beta or gamma).

There's some very bad comic-pseudoscience on Kryptonite. Kryp has even been depicted in many different ways, as amorphous rocks, crystals, even as a gas. So who knows. It has never been consistent by any sort of real world chemistry over the years. So whatever Kryptonite is, it isn't defined well enough to prevent it's use as a plot device. Conversely this allows Superman/girl to get out of any hairy situation. Unlike those Daxamites who suffer from "theres no way you not die from my shotgun blast."
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Comic Book Chemistry - 09/06/05 12:15 PM
At least some of the different forms of Kryptonite originated from different substances to begin with. Jewel Kryptonite, for example, was formed from the remnants of the Jewel Mountains.

I've always suspected Red Kryptonite actually had magical properties.
Posted By: Reboot Re: Comic Book Chemistry - 09/06/05 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
Different radioactive isotopes have identical chemical properties, differing only in radioactive half-life and type of radioactive decay (alpha, beta or gamma).
Well, of course, since it's the radioactive properties that are important, that makes a difference.

There's no reason for the isotopes and their effects to be linked to colour if it was a badly-named element though.
Posted By: Thriftshop Debutante Re: Comic Book Chemistry - 09/06/05 07:37 PM
For the elements we already know: The Periodic Table of Comic Books

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tamper Lad Re: Comic Book Chemistry - 09/06/05 07:51 PM
Well if Kryptonite is 126 it should have chemical (not nuclear) properties/reactivities comparable to Plutonium which it would be under on the table.

Physical Properties of Plutonium

Standard state: solid at 298 K
Colour: silvery white
Classification: Metallic

Not enough adequate pseudoscience to explain anything. I'll go with the pseudoscience that post-crisis it's an element that emits deadly radiation (deadly to all people) but that it exists in a unique green crystalline structure that renders Superman's invulnerability inert making him succeptable to the radiation.

Done science reconciled with comic book plot devices.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Comic Book Chemistry - 09/06/05 08:07 PM
It's interesting that both in the case of suns and kryptonite, different colors affect Superman differently. Could there be a connection?
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Comic Book Chemistry - 09/06/05 08:45 PM
Remind me not to inhale too much pure oxygen!

So why can't kryptonite be Krypton + Oxygen = KrO2?
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Comic Book Chemistry - 09/06/05 08:52 PM
Well, the most obvious reason is that Krypton is inert, and thus doesn't form compounds (usually).
Posted By: Tamper Lad Re: Comic Book Chemistry - 09/06/05 08:53 PM
Noble gases, yep

In current continuity it's element 126. On the next row of the table under plutonium.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Comic Book Chemistry - 09/06/05 11:38 PM
What an educational forum! I might have aced chemistry if they'd used comic books.
Posted By: Stargazer Re: Comic Book Chemistry - 09/07/05 02:31 AM
Who said you could never learn anything new on a message board?
I found this very interesting. Really I did!!
Posted By: legionadventureman Re: Comic Book Chemistry - 09/07/05 07:12 AM
And now, can someone solve the mystery of technobabble in relation to the time-space continuum?
Posted By: Calybos Re: Comic Book Chemistry - 09/07/05 10:38 PM
The -ite suffix is not just for ions... it's also a common suffix for minerals. This, of course, would mean that kryptonite is a mineral ore, rather than an element... but it would be easier to explain why it exists in various forms, each with different properties.
© Legion World