Legion World
Posted By: Spellbinder Marvel Comics or T&A Comics? - 07/31/03 06:56 PM
What in the heck is going on with Marvel nowadays? I was just looking at the "First Looks" over on the Comics Continuum website, and I was reminded once again how incredibly graphic that company has become. In their Phoenix book, the women (who I assume are meant to be slave girls of some sort) are running around with huge boobs barely covered by their outfits, and thongs pulled so far up their asses that I'm surprised they don't get sawed in half. Not to mention the shots of them sitting on the ground, knees in their chest and crotches on display.

And I remember seeing a bunch of X-Title covers recently that looked like something you'd see in Maxim: Rogue in a sexy pose with her ass pushed out (I think), which I'm sure had little to do with the story inside; Emma Frost on the cover of another, sitting in a chair, I think, with HER legs spread for the camera; not to mention the Marville book, which I seem to recall having some fairly suggestive covers.

Now, I hate to come across as some kinda prude, but what is with this new trend? Is it to lure young readers in by dangling knockers and kitties in front of them? Or has Marvel just gotten a little out of control since they started rating their own books?

I dunno... I just think that with the companies looking to draw in the new, young readers in hopes of boosting the industry, they might want to tone down their content just a little. I have very little faith in the notion that parents are going to closely monitor what "funny books" their kids are picking up (I lost faith in that when I went to see the South Park movie and stood in line behind this couple and their 8 year olds, who thought it was "just a cartoon").
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: Marvel Comics or T&A Comics? - 07/31/03 08:14 PM
Considering that the cover of LEGION # 22 has a fairly nice shot of Dreamer's crotch and cleavage, Marvel doesn't seem to be alone in this.

I share your disdain for the practice, though, Princess. T&A is often a substitute for substance in stories and art, and always has been.
Posted By: Kid Prime Re: Marvel Comics or T&A Comics? - 07/31/03 08:44 PM
Sorta On-topic:

If you want to see a nice crotch shot, check out the cover to Ultimates #11! I mean, Cap is BULGING! It's HUGE, at least in comic book proportions (usually, they're nonexistent).

My eyes almost popped outta my head like Roger Rabbit!
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: Marvel Comics or T&A Comics? - 07/31/03 10:26 PM
And then there were those "Thunderbolts" covers that were made to resemble Maxim covers.

It appears that we've gone from scantily clad "bad girls" who were dangerous and kicked butt to more girly-girl T&A where there isn't as much a concern to seem exploitative by making the scantily clad women strong as well as sexy. Now sexy is just for sex's sake.
Posted By: rokk steady Re: Marvel Comics or T&A Comics? - 08/01/03 12:14 AM
Without reading any posts, I'll say:

T&A Comics!

Wotta rotten run of craptacular covers! I wanted to check out the Emma Frost (despite the reviews) and was embarrassed to buy it!
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: Marvel Comics or T&A Comics? - 08/01/03 12:34 AM
Just to give examples, we have:

The Phoenix Cover

The Phoenix Interior Page

NYX, A new mutant title

Uncanny X-Men

X-Treme X-Men

Emma Frost
Posted By: Kid Prime Re: Marvel Comics or T&A Comics? - 08/01/03 03:08 AM
I actually like the Emma cover. The rest are gratuitous crap. Is that supposed to be Kitty in the Uncanny cover?

I don't LIKE Marvel right now!

mad
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Marvel Comics or T&A Comics? - 08/01/03 04:05 AM
Jeffey-- just saw this thread after posting my ULTIMATES 11 cover comments... I can still hardly believe that cover...!
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: Marvel Comics or T&A Comics? - 08/01/03 04:07 AM
Evidently the Big Two feel a pressing need to compete with Avatar...
Posted By: Arachne Re: Marvel Comics or T&A Comics? - 08/01/03 04:41 AM
That Emma Frost cover is a lot better than the other one I've seen.

The worst part is that Marvel has been going on about attracting young women to comics with the Tsunami line. How well is that really going to work when they see these covers right beside them form the same company?

Even the Tsunami covers aren't completely immune. There's one with Dani Moonstar naked on the cover. I did think it was in much better taste than some of the ones where the character is fully dressed, however.
Posted By: Estimate Lad Re: Marvel Comics or T&A Comics? - 08/01/03 09:23 AM
Sorta on-topic...

One of the many critisisms of Morrison's New X-Men I've seen while online was that he'd filled Xaviers' Mansion with too many ugly mutants. There seemed to be quite a bit of agreement on that one. I didn't realise up until that point that the X-gene mutation thingy was only supposed to affect pretty people!
© Legion World