Legion World
Posted By: Brain-Fall-Out Boy Selective Reading - 08/14/17 12:57 AM
Powering through my second round of Rebirth books has taught me an obvious but nonetheless amazing lesson: I don't have to read every issue of a series. I can check out of a story I don't like and come back when it's over. Like I said, obvious. But in the past I've thought in binary terms: do I want to keep going with this title? If I was in, I felt the need to force myself through comics I didn't like waiting for a better one. Now when there's one of those stories I hate so much that focus on continuity snarls, or there's a guest-written filler issue, I realize that I can just... not do those. If anything significant happens in them, I will be kept up to date with recap in future issues, or online discussion.

Of course, this will be put to the test soon and DC moves into the big event they're been building to throughout Rebirth. Skipping that will probably be like skipping the season finale, such a big part of the story I would question why I bother to stay with it at alll. But we'll see what happens.
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Selective Reading - 08/14/17 11:07 AM
I'm doing that with Batman. I've only read about half the Rebirth issues, as I find King really hit or miss on the title. Skipping "War of..." for instance, other than last issue to see how Deadshot was handled. I understand what King is doing with Bruce's slow motion nervous breakdown, but I've found I don't need to check in on it every two weeks.
© Legion World