Legion World
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester So, tell me about Golden Eagle... - 09/06/04 05:05 PM
He's like a Kid Hawkman, right? What's his story?
Posted By: MLLASH Re: So, tell me about Golden Eagle... - 09/06/04 06:01 PM
I wish they ALL could be California boys!

Charley Parker first appeared in JLofA as a sort-of Kid Hawkman.

He was brought back in the 70s run of Teen Titans as a little bit of a loser who couldn't hold a job.

Marf Wolfman later retconned in Charley's "surfer dude" personality (I approve) and then promptly killed the poor lad.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: So, tell me about Golden Eagle... - 09/06/04 06:02 PM
Of the prompt killing: I majorly disapprove.

Not much else to him, Eryk-- he's a virtual blank slate!
He uses the Nth-metal and stuff, though, right? How'd he get it?
Posted By: MLLASH Re: So, tell me about Golden Eagle... - 09/06/04 06:06 PM
Hmm... I'd have to dig out that ollllllld issue of JlofA (if I still even have it) but iirc, it was a gift from Hawkman. So I guess there was SOMEthing about Charley after all... something Hawkman saw in him.
Jillikers! I don't like the idea of Hawkman just going around giving out Nth-metal, so we may have to retcon that. So, how would a surfer dude end up with Nth-metal? Maybe a Thanagarian ship crashed in the ocean?
Posted By: Future Re: So, tell me about Golden Eagle... - 09/06/04 06:11 PM
Well, you never know what you can find on E-Bay.

Or, if we're in the 70s, make that a flea market. Someone had to have left some Nth-metal somewhere.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: So, tell me about Golden Eagle... - 09/06/04 06:14 PM
I'll have to check the issue-- I'm sure there was more to Charley's story than what I can vaguely recall...
Posted By: ActorLad Re: So, tell me about Golden Eagle... - 09/06/04 06:16 PM
You mean I wasn't the only one to find some after a wipe out on my boogie board?

Drat!
Posted By: Vee Re: So, tell me about Golden Eagle... - 09/06/04 08:11 PM
As I recall in the JLA issue, Charley was able to make his winged outfit appear and disappear by "flapping' his wings closed in front of himself. Don'recall him having Nth metal at that time.

[Linked Image]

And from Titan Towers:

Justice League of America #116 [1975]: Answering the Justice League mail, Green Arrow investigates a letter from an orphaned teenager, who claims to have powers like those of his idol, Hawkman, and to have become a crimefighter in Midway City. GA arrives in Midway City just in time to help young Charley Parker, alias Golden Eagle, escape a trap set by Hawkman's old enemy, the Matter Master, who has mistaken the youth for the real Winged Wonder. Batman, Elongated Man, Flash, and Aquaman join Green Arrow to battle a series of threats unleashed by the Matter Master's Mentachem wand, while Golden Eagle finds himself transported to the villain's hideway, where the Matter Master sits in a state like suspended animation while causing his wand to engage the Justice League heroes. Awakening to the realization that Golden Eagle is not the real Hawkman at all, and that his wand is reponsible for Charley's acquiring super-powers (in unconscious anticipation of the villain's wish to battle and defeat a hero resembling Hawkman), the Matter Master is about to destroy Golden Eagle when the JLA intervenes and defeats him. As the case is closed and Parker returned to normal, the real Hawkman unexpectedly returns. First appearance and origin of Golden Eagle (Charley Parker). The events of this issue have been negated by the Crisis on Infinite Earths.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: So, tell me about Golden Eagle... - 09/06/04 08:18 PM
THANKS, Vee-- awesome info!

So Charley's powers were actually a gift from MATTER MASTER-- hmmm, that's something that could be played with.

And look at his sissyfied stance-- looks like we might have a gay Titan, folks! Yay!
Posted By: MLLASH Re: So, tell me about Golden Eagle... - 09/06/04 08:25 PM
And a cute one, too!
Posted By: Loser Lad Re: So, tell me about Golden Eagle... - 09/07/04 12:35 AM
I'm not a huge Titans fan, so I might be wrong, but wasn't it retconned in at some point that Golden Eagle was pretty much just doing the hero thing to make money?
Posted By: Legion Lad Re: So, tell me about Golden Eagle... - 09/07/04 12:58 AM
I also disapprove of how he was killed off. They wanted to prove to the readers that Titans Hunt was a big, important storyline, and we all know the only way to do that is to kill someone off. :rolleyes:

They basically took the character that they thought was the least important Titan and served him up as cannon fodder. It's like how Blok was killed in the Legion, except without the indignity of pulling his name out of a hat. Talk about lazy writing.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: So, tell me about Golden Eagle... - 09/07/04 01:50 AM
Hmmm... I want to open our first issue of G70STT:TS with a Charley scene, I've got one in my mind that will be way cool in showing that this ain't your Daddy's Groovy 70s Teen Titans...
Posted By: Ultra Jorge Re: So, tell me about Golden Eagle... - 09/07/04 09:46 AM
Golden Eagle was cool

http://www.titanstower.com/assets/whos%20who/aapanels/early/goldeneagle.jpg

I think it would be neat to reintroduce a possible younger brother and this time have Carter Hall give him Nth metal for "some" good reason. wink I loved the costume.

I remember being all excited when he appeared in Titans Hunt. Grummet made him look so cool and then...he...he died.

Jorge
Posted By: MLLASH Re: So, tell me about Golden Eagle... - 03/28/05 04:38 PM
I strongly advise any fans of Charley Parker/Golden Eagle to pick up current issues of HAWKMAN, # 37 and # 38.

You SHANT be disappointed!
Posted By: armsfalloffboy Re: So, tell me about Golden Eagle... - 03/28/05 04:48 PM
Why did I get the impression from the Hawkman issues that Golden Eagle was involved somehow with Infinity, Inc.? Am I making that up?
Posted By: MLLASH Re: So, tell me about Golden Eagle... - 03/28/05 04:57 PM
The current Hawkman issue? I didn't notice any references to Inf Inc. But I might have been blinded by all that shiny blonde hair and those dazzling white teeth...
Posted By: Vee Re: So, tell me about Golden Eagle... - 03/28/05 06:43 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I would never have given Hawkman even a glance (never liked him ~ in any incarnation except for the Golden Age version) but if Charley is there, I'll be sure to pick up a copy this week.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: So, tell me about Golden Eagle... - 03/28/05 07:11 PM
Oh, you will LOVE the final page of 37, the cover and entire contents of # 38!
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: So, tell me about Golden Eagle... - 03/28/05 07:31 PM
Willikers!

Golden Eagle’s appearance is good for us Hawkman fans, if it’s drawing in stalwart comics fans like Vee!
Posted By: rtvu2 Re: So, tell me about Golden Eagle... - 03/28/05 07:40 PM
Can't wait to see what the real story of Charlie Parker is!
Posted By: Owl Lad Re: So, tell me about Golden Eagle... - 03/29/05 02:00 AM
I won't be collecting these issues. Could someone post the pics here?
Posted By: Vee Re: So, tell me about Golden Eagle... - 03/31/05 03:19 PM
Originally posted by MLLASH:
I strongly advise any fans of Charley Parker/Golden Eagle to pick up current issues of HAWKMAN, # 37 and # 38.

frown Went to the CBS last night only to discover that they have no copies of either left. *sigh*
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: So, tell me about Golden Eagle... - 03/31/05 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Vee:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
[b]I strongly advise any fans of Charley Parker/Golden Eagle to pick up current issues of HAWKMAN, # 37 and # 38.

frown Went to the CBS last night only to discover that they have no copies of either left. *sigh*[/b]
Vee, I can pick up an extra issue and mail it to you ASAP! PM me with your address if you want!
Posted By: Stargazer Re: So, tell me about Golden Eagle... - 04/02/05 02:02 AM
And so we continue to bring back the dead... Barry Allan will be back before Christmas.

I liked the Hawkman issue that has Golden Eagle back in action. Lame excuse about how he is not dead... still lots of explaining to do.
Posted By: Mystery Lad Re: So, tell me about Golden Eagle... - 02/03/08 05:15 AM
Fans of Golden Eagle might want to pick up COUNTDOWN TO ADVENTURE #6 (the Feb issue). He's prominently featured in the FORERUNNER back-up.

And by featured I mean used as a boytoy.

This is the Golden Eagle as changed in the pages of the most recent HAWKMAN series, and in the Rann/Thanagar war mini, by the way. *NOT* the pretty-boy surfer dude from the Teen Titans. (Still Charley, though. Sort of.)
© Legion World