Legion World
Posted By: mechana The Totally Selfish thread - 12/16/07 08:01 PM
I have created this thread dedicated to trying to persuade people to come out and play with me.

A brief back story: as many of you know, I was colorist for The Legion a few years ago, and though my stint on the book is long over, I stayed because I made friends here, and it is one of those few precious places on the internet where virtually everybody is great, and no jackass-ery is tolerated.

Even though I am not a prolific poster, I am here everyday, usually many, many times a day, looking for a little amusement or distraction.

You see, I spend a lot of time alone. A LOT. My significant other travels for work and is away as much as he's here. I work from home. I don't have a car. I have no family in the community where I live, and few friends. It can feel like my whole world comes to me via the internet and the mailbox. Sometimes I just go stick my head out the front door to make sure the world's still there!

My life is rather lonely. There, I've said it! Pride be damned!

So this is my thread where I will come to play and I hope you'll join me. Ask me questions. Tell me a story. I'll make up silly games. Whatever. I just want to have a place where I can interact with you folks, even when other threads aren't luring me in.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/16/07 08:02 PM
Random question #1:

Do you collect things (besides comics). What? And why?

I've never been a big collector. I'm passionate about books, so I have a ton of them. I guess I collect Tim Burton stuff, but I'm not a completist (ie. I don't feel compelled to have everything). I just get whatever intrigues me. So far I have all the Tragic Toys, a few action figures from Nightmare before Christmas and Corpse bride, a book of poems, stationery, book ends, books, pins, and a set of nesting dolls. Why? Well it just makes me smile. I love cartoons; I love Tim Burton's twisted sensibilities; I love it when they come together.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/16/07 08:26 PM
Besides the comics Caroline and I both collect vampire books; novels, short story collections, non-fiction, ect. Have numerous books shelves full of them and even more in storage. We even collect art to go with them or other trinkets like plates or clocks (bought her one from Romania last year that has Vlad on the face and is a piece of petrified wood from the Carpathian mountains). Our passion for vampires is how we met.

My latest obsession is the Classic Marvel Figurine Magazines. You might say they are comics but they really are magazines, each about a different hero, and come with a fully painted, heavy lead figure. Produced in the UK. Get them through Diamond via DCBS but I've also had to order some from Forbidden Planet just because they weren't released in the US. Now I need to figure out how to display them and get them off my closet floor!

What else. Computer gear all over the house. Literally in every room. Anything techie. I'm a tech geek and usually have to be the first to own the latest and greatest. Although I have tried to tone that down lately. Been able to resist the iPhone so far. But don't know how long that will last. smile

If you were closer Ronda we'd take you out to see Sweeney Todd for Christmas!
Posted By: Pov Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/16/07 09:40 PM
(Because nothing says X-Mas like a serial killer... wink )

Dragons.

I love them. I have a curio cabinet 1/2 full of pewter figures... some whimsical pieces, but most not. There are several painted porcelain dragons to give all that pewter some variety.

The bottom of my curio is filled with plush dragons, particularly the Dakin "Duncan Dragon"s released in 1983. I think I have them all, except my "Holy Grail"-- a Valentine's dragon released in '85. It's white with red wings,spikes and nails, and wears a banner that proclaims "I would slay a dragon for thee"... sigh I've seen a couple on eBay recently, but they haven't gone for under $60... and one went well over $100! :gulp:

The top of my case holds other plushes and toys I've amassed over the years.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/16/07 10:17 PM
Hey, Burton and Christmas. Always dark. smile

So Bri. Have you ever gotten those dragons that McFarlane makes? Been thinking about getting some for a friend who is a dragon collector (always get him something dragon related for birthdays and Christmas).
Posted By: Rockhopper Lad Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/16/07 10:57 PM
I collect penguins. Not real ones, of course, but figurines, stuffed animals, sculpture, cookie jars, candy dishes, origami, pictures, what have you. I almost never buy penguin things. Most people know I collect them and give them to me. This, of course, led to my using variations of "rockhopper" for my online identities and, ultimately, to Rockhopper Lad.

I also collect "Peanuts" paraphernalia, particularly things with Charlie Brown (I have some Snoopy, Linus, Lucy, etc., but CB is my fave!).

I also have a fairly good collection of hymnals. I am a total choir nerd! smile
Posted By: Blue Battler Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/16/07 11:44 PM
I collect dragons too. laugh

I also have some ... geez.. don't know what to call it... glass cubes with 3D figures in them. Laser cubes, I believe is the term.

I buy lots of DVDs, particularly Japanese Giant Monster movies.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/17/07 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:

Computer gear all over the house. Literally in every room. Anything techie. I'm a tech geek and usually have to be the first to own the latest and greatest. Although I have tried to tone that down lately. Been able to resist the iPhone so far. But don't know how long that will last. smile
Oh I totally get the computer gear all over the house. Shawn leaves his stuff everywhere! It makes me CRAZY! Our basement is stacked floor to ceiling with computers, monitors, printers, parts, cables, hundreds of computer books, etc. It looks like a warehouse. A really messy warehouse.

And he has a rented storage room full of computers! And an office!

In our living room now: 4 internal hard drives, 3 external drives, assorted cables and cords, memory sticks, software, discs, and countless other bits and pieces and gadgets that I just toss in a basket. And Shawn isn't even in town!

Sounds like you two would get along famously!
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/17/07 02:16 AM
Man, when I'm busy with work, I wish for some free time. When I finally get some, I don't know what to do with myself!

What does everyone look forward to doing with their free time?

I sure miss my car. I have total cabin fever!
Posted By: CJ Taylor Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/17/07 05:01 AM
How does one get into the colouring of comics anyways? Does a colourist have to have skill with pencil and inks? What's the future of a colourist look like?

Hey- you said to ask...
Posted By: Faraway Lad Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/17/07 11:21 AM
Free Time what’s that?

When I’m not collecting legion stuff, it usually things for my other hobby of re enacting, at the moment I’m looking for some repro coins and a period shaving kit. Later in 08 I’m planning on getting a gun cabinet so I can finally get my musket home to look after it.

So is Canada as bad as the USA for needing a car to live? I’m lucky in that I can always get a bus or train to get almost anywhere.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/17/07 11:49 AM
I have lots of free time now, in theory, but I guess I squander it. It depends on what you think the purpose of life is. In summer, I garden, snorkel and sail. With the usual life maintenance chores, that doesn't leave much free time. But winter is a lot slower. "Sometimes I sits and thinks but mostly I just sits" - who said that? Could have been me.

Ronda, have you always lived in Winnipeg? Sorry to say I've never been to Manitoba. Years ago, I heard about some incredible restaurant in Winnipeg which only served about 20 people at a time - forget the name - but since then I've always imagined Winnipeg as a city of hidden gems.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/17/07 07:58 PM
I don't have a specific type of thing I collect, but rather collect things in 'themes'. Basically anything that has to do with certain themes. Here are a few things I do that with:

- Comic books (of course), but specifically the Legion, Spider-Man, Silver Age Marvel and Silver Age DC, also Silver Age Ditko Charleton and EC Comics (I wrote a grad school paper on EC)
- Roman History & Ancient History in General (I have a Masters Degree in Roman History)
- The Middle Ages, and now the Knights Templar (thanks Da Vinci Code!)
- History of the Habsburg Empire (Austria-Hungary and the Holy Roman Empire)
- Irish History and Irish Poetry
- Film History, specifically l939 - 1960
- Audrey Hepburn (my first love)
- 'Noir', film, but also books, etc.
- Tolkein-related things
- The Russian Romantic movement of the 1840's - 1860's. I reread Lermantov's 'Princess Mary' every other year.
- seriel-killer related material (I minored in Criminal Justice and at one time considered a career as an FBI profiler, but of course, that didn't take off laugh ).
- Organized crime of all types
- Salvador Dali - probably my favorite painter of all time

And other odd assorted things that I like to make my own. Generally the only time I find people interested in this besides my brothers, my Dad or old classmates from college or Grad school, its online laugh .
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/17/07 08:54 PM
Thanks to everyone who's playing along! I'm trying to answer the questions, but having technical difficulties! Will respond as I am able.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/17/07 08:55 PM
QUOTE]Originally posted by Faraway Lad:

So is Canada as bad as the USA for needing a car to live? I’m lucky in that I can always get a bus or train to get almost anywhere.
[/QUOTE]

Well I guess if you live in a large urban center, you're fine. My city has buses, but no trains or rapid transit. In the summer it's no big deal, but in the winter, who wants to get all bundled up and trudge through the snow to a bus stop. It's easier to stay home and complain. ;-) Going to my local mall would take 5 minutes in a car, 20+ minutes on the bus. A car is just easier. Especially if you need groceries, or to transport stuff, etc. Like today I have to schlep my Christmas parcels to the post office on the bus. Fun.

I've had a car since I was sixteen, up until it died three years ago. The car wasn't worth the money it would cost to fix it, and I've never been able to afford to replace it. When you're used to always having one, it's like losing a limb!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/17/07 09:04 PM
I haven't had a car for, I'd say, close to 10 years now. Of course I do live in the city, so I have not really missed it. The biggest change in my life without a car is in how I shop for groceries. I don't take a carriage. I use the baskets provided at the entrance. That way I only get what I know I can carry home.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/17/07 09:13 PM
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
How does one get into the colouring of comics anyways? Does a colourist have to have skill with pencil and inks? What's the future of a colourist look like?
Well I'm not sure how "one" becomes a colorist, but I can tell you how I did.

My town used to have a large color studio that was founded by a few individual colorists. Sort of a comic coloring assembly line, if you will. The "painters" took paper color guides, and recreated them in Photoshop. I got the job because I had an art background (I have a BFA). They primarily were looking for people with an understanding of anatomy, color matching ability, and computer skills.

I did that for years before I finally got promoted to being an actual colorist, responsible for both design and execution. I did it in that studio for less than a year before it folded, about three years at another before it folded, and the last 2 years on my own.

If one was looking to break in, I'd say create a portfolio (color over professional pencils and inks!) that includes sequential pages that show off a range of moods, styles, etc. Then start applying for jobs, and be prepared to work for very little until you have a bit of a rep, or the big publishers want you.

I don't think you have to be a skilled penciller, but basic art skills are necessary: an understanding of color theory, light and shadow, anatomy. You have to know how to set a mood, tell a story, direct the readers attention, all without being intrusive or detracting from the pencils. It comes with practice. And Photoshop skills are a must.

As for the future, I couldn't say. I certainly think you'll see colorists fighting for more credit for their role. There are few coloring "stars"; mostly we go unnoticed. The penciller will always be the star, and I accept that, but I think a lot of people are unaware of the power of color. I can make your work look that much better, or I can can really detract from it too.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/17/07 09:22 PM
Originally posted by mechana:
I don't think you have to be a skilled penciller, but basic art skills are necessary: an understanding of color theory, light and shadow, anatomy. You have to know how to set a mood, tell a story, direct the readers attention, all without being intrusive or detracting from the pencils. It comes with practice. And Photoshop skills are a must.
Would you recommend coloring Spiderman's costume neon pink with eggshell blue?
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/18/07 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:]Would you recommend coloring Spiderman's costume neon pink with eggshell blue?
I don't think I'd recommend coloring anything neon pink and eggshell blue.
wink
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/18/07 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:

Ronda, have you always lived in Winnipeg? Sorry to say I've never been to Manitoba. Years ago, I heard about some incredible restaurant in Winnipeg which only served about 20 people at a time - forget the name - but since then I've always imagined Winnipeg as a city of hidden gems.
No, I haven't always lived here, but I've been here since 1991, and that's the longest I've ever been in one place! I was born in Victoria, BC, then moved to Winnipeg (where my Mom is from), then to the NWT, then back to Winnipeg, then to a tiny northern Alberta town, all before I was school age. We stayed there until I was 12, then moved to a slightly larger small Alberta town, where I lived until I left for University in Saskatoon. When I was finished school my parents were living here (after a brief stint in Regina), so I came home to mooch until I got on my feet. They have since moved 3 more times, but by then I had found love, so I stayed.

It's not a bad place. Big enough so that it has everything one needs; not so big as to be intimidating. We have a nice zoo, and the Forks Market is pretty cool. We have a huge museum and an observatory, and an art gallery, ballet, opera, several theatre companies. Lots to do. No Ikea though, dammit. ;-)

As far as restaurants go, I'm guessing the one your thinking of is a little Italian place. I can't remember the name either, but I've heard people talk about it. To get in on a Saturday you have to book about a month in advance. There is also a little Ukrainian place called Alicia's that's kind of famous.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/18/07 04:28 AM
Shawn is not coming home until Christmas eve, and probably leaving again the day after Christmas. I can't tell you how much that sucks. Not even the Grinch can cheer me up tonight.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/18/07 11:26 AM
Way too short a time! But big celebration planned? Do you do the turkey thing and decorate?
Posted By: CJ Taylor Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/18/07 03:35 PM
That's because the Grinch doesn't juggle potato salad.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/18/07 04:30 PM
Way too short a time! But big celebration planned? Do you do the turkey thing and decorate?
It will be pretty low key. Normally we go to my Mom's place in Alberta, and she's Mrs. Christmas!
Lights and decorations everywhere, big feast, every kind of baked goods and candies you can imagine. Honestly, I don't know how she does it.

I will have a tree. In fact I already do, had it delivered yesterday. Still trying to get it up properly; it's at a rather jaunty angle right now. It's a gorgeous Fraser fir that's almost as wide as it is tall (and it's 7' tall!) and it weighs a ton. I do not recommend trying to put up a Christmas tree by yourself!

No turkey as Shawn is a vegetarian. Actually Christmas dinner will be a potluck at his grandparents nursing home, so I just have to take care of desert.

I've just never been alone during the holidays before, so I guess I'm feeling rather sorry for myself. I suppose it's normal for lots of folks, but I've been really lucky so far.

How about you FC? Big family gathering?
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/18/07 04:31 PM
That's because the Grinch doesn't juggle potato salad.
laugh
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/18/07 05:36 PM
I'm jealous of your tree Rhonda! Growing up we always had large real trees (I live in Connecticut), but the last two years we've had the fake ones (last year with my roomates, this year with my fiance). I mean, it still looks nice...but its just not the same.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/18/07 07:02 PM
It is a beauty. It's almost a shame to decorate it!
I've never had an artificial tree, though my folks went that way a few years back. I'm sure it's easier!

But I'd miss that divine smell!
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/19/07 12:00 AM
That's exactly the part I miss the most. My parents still have a great one, and I've been over more than usual to smell it smile
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/19/07 12:03 AM
My family and I are not exactly on speaking terms, so it's just me and Mr. Cramer and whoever drops in. We do the tree thing and have a big feed but I don't know what I'll make this year. I did get a turkey today for the cats & dog.

I always liked to work over the holidays. People (especially those with kids) wanted the time off and the office was almost empty. It was really low key but I got a whole lot done and those of us who were there went out for really long lunches.

Maybe you and Shawn could celebrate when he comes back. Just make up a holiday. In the meantime, hang out with us here!
Posted By: Ultra Jorge Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/19/07 12:19 AM
mechana, your post totally depressed me. I will be your best friend if you want.

Cobalt, Audrey Hepburn? I thought you were straight?

Things I collect? Tough one. Microheroes. My wife and I "collect" empty wine bottles and corks. (from our trips) Any cool art. I try to hit the stores for framed paintings that are on sale. We just rotate the pictures on the walls. smile
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/19/07 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
Cobalt, Audrey Hepburn? I thought you were straight?
She's been my crush since I was like 11 years old laugh . I can't help myself. My other crushes include Donna Reed, Lauren Becall and a few other classic starlets.

I have modern ones too, so no worries there! Don't forget, we've already agreed on you having Giselle and me having Adrianna Lima laugh

Mechana - any movie star crushes you've had for awhile?
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/19/07 12:55 AM
Mechana,

At least you get Christmas Day with Shawn.

I'm pretty much off the holidays. They don't bring me the joy they once did. I don't have anyone to shop for. With my dad, about 5-6 years ago, being low on cash and ideas, I got him nothing. For years he had been saying "Don't get me anything". And he actually thanked me for getting him nothing, so I continue to do so. And a couple of years ago he sytarted saying "Your weekly visits are like Christmas gifts for me".

As for the rest of my family, about 8-9 years ago we started exchanging names at Thanksgiving. But I think the subset of families still got gifts for each other. About two years ago we started doing a yankee swap* Which isn't quite so personal as getting a gift for a specific person (or getting one either) And we meet up for that on New Years day. On Christmas itself, I usually go to my dad's and then we go to my brother's for dinner.

But I don't decorate seeing as no one visits my place. I do send out a few crhistmas cards. But that's it.

* for those who want to know what a yankee swap is Yankee Swap rules
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/19/07 02:47 AM
Hey, sorry to bring everybody down!

As I said, I know the world is probably full of people far lonelier than I this Christmas. I shouldn't complain. I've always been lucky enough to be surrounded by the people I love. My Mom always makes such a big fuss at Christmas, I get pretty sentimental this time of year. Even my too cool brother loves going home. I'm 38 years old, and would you believe this is only the 3rd or 4th Christmas I'll have celebrated without my parents? Plus Shawn being away so much is really tough. Combine the two, and I'm just a big baby right now.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/19/07 02:50 AM
I just finished watching Hairspray(2007). Now that's a feel good movie! I had a big stupid smile on my face through almost the entire movie.

Who would've thought John Travolta could be a role model for fat chicks, but he can shake that padded butt!
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/19/07 03:20 AM
QUOTE]Originally posted by Cobalt Kid

Mechana - any movie star crushes you've had for awhile?[/QB][/QUOTE]

Oh that's tough one. I'm very fickle and my celebrity crushes never last for long.

Past crushes include James Marsters as Spike, David Boreanaz, Adam Baldwin, Michael Rosenbaum as Lex Luthor.

I think my only eternal love is Keanu Reeves. And I also have a serious thing for Alan Rickman, despite the fact that he's older than my father!
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/19/07 11:46 AM
If you've got a family you're close to, it must be very difficult to be separated from them for a big family holiday like Xmas. Hopefully, next year will be different for you and you'll get out to see them.

You recommended a book last year or the year before - A Winter's Tale (?) - I forget the exact title but it was a very strange story about New York. Beautiful, enchanting book. Have you reread it lately?

Do you ever think about getting another cat?
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/19/07 11:48 AM
Oh, and Audrey Hepburn - I sometimes wish I was Audrey Hepburn or at least look and sound like her.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/19/07 07:46 PM
Until Shawn gets back....
(((((((((((((((((((Ronda))))))))))))))))

Don't worry about bringing people down... it's an excellent opportunity - for all of us - to bond with friends!
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/19/07 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
[qb]Cobalt, Audrey Hepburn? I thought you were straight?
I will second the motion that straight guys can and do appreciate Audrey Hepburn!
Posted By: CJ Taylor Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/19/07 08:13 PM
how often do you get to teh States? Do you get jobs through the mail or do you have to interview for books?
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/19/07 08:45 PM
how often do you get to teh States? Do you get jobs through the mail or do you have to interview for books?
I don't have to travel for work; all my business is conducted via email, files are transfered by FTP, I get paid by mail.

I don't have to interview for books, though sometimes I have to "try out" by doing a sample page to see if they like my approach.

When I worked for a studio, work came in based on the studio's reputation; I worked anonymously with another colorist.

I guess I got my first big freelance break by "ghosting" for a fairly well known colorist who was behind schedule on an important project.
When the editor found out and saw how my pages were pretty much indistinguishable from the other guys, he was impressed enough to give me a book of my own. I also picked up jobs that this colorist passed on, but recommended me for. I guess it's all about who you know, and I've been lucky enough to know some generous people.

I've gotten jobs by randomly sending out submissions to editors and having them offer me something based on my resume/portfolio. But the coolest of the cool is when people just contact you out of the blue and say: hey, I saw your work on book X and loved it; do you want to work for me? And that is just starting to happen to me now.

I still gotta hustle though. Even when you're busy, you never know what the next month will bring, so I always have my eyes and ears open.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/19/07 09:52 PM

Do you ever think about getting another cat?
Only every day! Just two things holding me back now:1) my lack of car makes me nervous about being prepared for emergencies. When Leroy was sick I had to take her to the vet a few times in a cab, and it was nightmarishly stressful for us both!
2) In theory, I'd like to be able to start travelling with Shawn more, and I'd have no one to care for the cat, unless I hired a service. I'd feel so guilty leaving them.
Posted By: minesurfer Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/19/07 10:36 PM
I have a general question for this time of the season...

What are your family holiday traditions?

The big one in my Dad's side of the family is the making of homemade cinnamon yeast roles. If they are made right, there is no defense. We also make "Christmas Candy" which is basically a log of dried fruits (figs, dates, and such) and coconut that's held together with a corn syrup/water/sugar mixture and then fermented for a month in a cool, dry, dark closet. It's fairly yummy. Both of those are handed down through my Dad's mom's (Grandma RIP) recipe book.

My wife and I are trying to come up with our own little Christmas thing now that our first child was born earlier this year, but so far we are not really coming up with anything.

So lets hear it... What are your families' holiday traditions?
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/20/07 06:07 PM
We would tape the Christmas cards we got around the door frame to the living room and dining room.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/20/07 06:22 PM
Well the Christmas traditions have evolved as I've grown up and gotten older. I have no children of my own to pass them along too, but maybe some of them will be of interest to your young family!

The tree: when I was young we lived in a very remote area, and it was our tradition to cut down our own tree! My Dad always made us get up insanely early (it was always dark!), and it was inevitably the coldest day of the year. So we'd bundle up like crazy and drive out to the woods and wade through snow up to our waists and pick out a tree. And because they were wild they were never the perfect specimens you can buy. I know this isn't a practical tradition for many people, but what memories!
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/20/07 06:23 PM
The cookies: every year my Mom would make sugar cookies in holiday shapes and buy us tubes of colored icing and sprinkles etc., then turn us loose to decorate the cookies. My brother lost interest in this one pretty young, but I kept it up as long as I lived at home, and would sometimes invite friends to help. The funny thing is I never ate the cookies! I decorated them and my brother would eat them. My Mom still makes a few every year for him and his son.
The stocking: we always had gifts under the tree, but the stocking was the most fun. They would be stuffed with small things, little gadgets, silly toys, candy. My Mom always did a great job of finding imaginative little inexpensive gifts, and we always had a blast opening them. Still do.
Ornaments: one year when I was quite young, I gave my Mom a Christmas tree ornament as a gift. She loved it so much, it became a tradition, and every year I put an ornament in her stocking. Since I've been old enough to live on my own, she has done the same in return. When Shawn moved in, she began sending him one too. And then he started getting me one every year too. And since my brother has settled down with his family, I send them ornaments every year too. So each ornament on the tree is memorable and personal and the tree itself is like a time capsule. Every year I hunt to find the most unique and original ornaments that I can! My Mom's collection also includes ornaments that belonged to her mother. Her collection is very precious to her, and someday it will be passed on to me.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/20/07 06:24 PM
The Grinch: other holiday classics come and go, but every year I must watch The Grinch! And A Christmas Carol from 1941, starring Alistair Sim. Best version ever! And if I can watch it with my Dad, so much the better.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/20/07 06:37 PM
The baking: my Mom goes crazy with the baking! Last year I counted a dozen different kinds of dainties, not to mention the four kinds of pie! Every year she tries a couple of new recipes, but there are always classics that she makes year after year: butter tarts, mincemeat tarts, shortbread, date cake, nanaimo bars, turtle squares (my favorite), some kind of fudge with marshmallows in it, so many I can't remember them all!

I myself make the turtle squares (so named for their similarity to Turtles chocolates), shortbread for Shawn, and I used to make rum balls to take to work when I had a "real" job. Everybody loves rum balls!
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/20/07 09:12 PM
Elvis! It ain't Christmas until I've danced to Santa Claus is Back In Town. He also does the best Blue Christmas. I'm downloading it from iTunes right now...

We only had two Christmas albums when I was a kid: Elvis, and a compilation (by K-Tel!) of classics like Bing Crosby, Doris Day, Frank Sinatra, etc.
Posted By: Pov Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/20/07 09:26 PM
Elvis... with The Jordannaires singing "Woo-ooh WOOoooh..." in the background... sigh

Good pick, Ms. Colourful! smile
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/21/07 11:31 AM
The fresh tree - after all us kids left home, my mother got an artificial tree. I was horrified, even though I could see it made sense to her. Now I cut my own scrawny fir in the woods, which I prefer to the perfectly balanced, overly full commercial trees.

I think holiday traditions just emerge over time and become important to kids, whether it's a certain food, decoration, practice.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/27/07 10:28 PM
Well the cab just left to take Shawn to the airport. We had 2 & 1/2 days together for Christmas and now he's on his way back to LA. frown
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/27/07 10:36 PM
How long will he be in LA?

Mmmmm....L.A. ... proved too much for the man, (too much for the man) So he's leavin' the life he's come to know...
Posted By: Pov Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/27/07 10:40 PM
hug Ronda!
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/28/07 02:32 AM
Well the good news (for me) is that Shawn's flight has been cancelled and he's on his way back! The bad news is that he just spent 4 hours in an airport, and now has to fly out at 5am tomorrow morning. He is NOT in a good mood. Sigh.
Posted By: Rockhopper Lad Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/28/07 03:30 AM
Ronda,

You need hug hug hug

And an extra one from Momma and Poppa Rockhopper with whom I'm spending a few days. hug
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/28/07 10:01 AM
Thank you boys; hugs are always appreciated.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/28/07 11:35 PM
What? You didn't like my Gladys Knight impersonation????? wink
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/29/07 01:56 AM
My sincerest apologies Quis, but I don't know the song so I didn't get it!
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/29/07 03:08 AM
Midnight Train to Georgia - woo woo!
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/29/07 05:38 AM
Beach Boys would have seemed more appropriate?

Help, help me...
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/29/07 09:34 PM
See, the problem is that I don't think he minds going back to LA at all!

Would you rather be stuck in cold, snowy Canada with your boring old girlfriend of 13 years, OR

be in warm sunny LA, driving a convertible (Audi TT), going to fancy clubs with your boss after work where the girls are all silicone enhanced "actresses" and the bar tabs run in the thousands!
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/29/07 10:13 PM
My first ever attempt at including a photo in a post...

click to enlarge
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/29/07 10:14 PM
Well that wasn't quite what I intended, but there's my Christmas tree.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/29/07 10:46 PM
Trying again...

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/22301541@N06/2146433925/[/img]

well obviously that didn't work. Oh well.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 12/30/07 02:10 AM
Ronda its probably because you are using Flicker. Try uploading the pic using the upload function here. Let me know if you need help with it.

======
Posted from my iPhone
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 01/01/08 03:41 AM
Happy New Year everyone. I hope you are all enjoying yourselves.

I'm anaesthetizing myself with a marathon of old Fred and Ginger movies, while the other half parties it up in Las Vegas. Do I sound bitter? wink Well probably a little; and certainly feeling blue.

I really want to apologize for being such a downer lately, but I find myself in a terrible funk that only seems to be getting worse. I hope you'll all bear with me.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 01/01/08 03:52 AM
We'll always be here for you Ronda. You're family. I hope you had as an enjoyable New Year's as possible. hug
Posted By: Faraway Lad Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 01/02/08 09:51 AM

Would you rather be stuck in cold, snowy Canada with your boring old girlfriend of 13 years, OR

be in warm sunny LA, driving a convertible (Audi TT), going to fancy clubs with your boss after work where the girls are all silicone enhanced "actresses" and the bar tabs run in the thousands!
Ermmm thats a toughy wink

Actually to be honest, at Christmas I think I'd rather be in Canada. Sitting in front of a nice warm fire, glass in hand, music playing, watching the snow fall, sounds like a perfect Christmas.

Oh and by the by you aint boring, nor are you old my dear. Thats my job lol
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 01/02/08 07:49 PM

Well seeing as I don't like girls (that way)... wink

I'd take warm and sunny over cold, but I'd also take the person I choose to be with for 13 years over a bunch of phonies. And seeing as I don't drink (never did, never had the desire to) a bar tab that runs into the thousands would not impress me.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 01/04/08 08:16 AM
Say, Ronda, are the mosquitoes still biting in Winnipeg? wink

I'd take Winnipeg over gridlocked, smoggy, sprawling L.A. any day, any temperature. Given the population differences, that's obviously a minority opinion.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 01/04/08 07:24 PM
Say, Ronda, are the mosquitoes still biting in Winnipeg? wink

My dad's dog likes the cold because there are no bugs. Dad says this because once the cold weather hit, she asked to go out more than before. She really really hates bugs.
Posted By: Owl Lad Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 01/05/08 05:10 AM
The isolation of the Canadian is a common theme in our country, one compounded by our unrelenting winters and our vast countryside (which makes requiring a vehicle an understandable necessity. It is not at all surprising you're swept up in holiday jeers.

Family is obviously important to you. Your memories of your parents and brother bring you great comfort. Reading about them certainly brought a smile to my cold, Canadian lips. I hope the new year will bring you out of your funk soon. Sometimes, being stuck in one is what's needed to appreciate what it's like when you've pulled yourself out of one.

Speaking of family and traditions (I know I'm tuning into this late), with my young kids learning to read now, I've started writing riddle poems on the outside of their gifts from me to see if they can guess from my clues what's inside. I've passed this idea on to my sister and brother and their partners when we do the gift exchange every year where we each draw one person's name to buy for. With the adults, we'll each throw a toonie (a 2 dollar coin for you Yanks) in the pot and if the person can solve the riddle of their gift, he/she can collect.

I better hit the hay. My nightowl ways will catch up to me when my 2 year old busts in to wake me up at 6 am.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 01/08/08 03:00 PM
oops! double post.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 01/08/08 03:00 PM
I had rather quiet holidays myself, far from home. Other than Christmas dinner at my landlord's house and going out drinking with Dedman a couple days afterward, I lied low, watching TV, sketching and doing puzzles.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 01/19/08 10:23 PM
Hi everyone: well I've been absent from my own thread for quite a while. You all know I was feeling down (obviously), and I finally hit a place where felt compelled to seek medical attention and medication. And I'm feeling much better now. A little nervous about being medicated and afraid of losing some of myself. But I'd simply hit a point where my anxiety levels were overwhelming and unbearable. I'm still feeling pretty "blah" and lethargic (and blowing off work at an alarming rate!!), but calm, so that's something. And hopefully getting back here among friends will help stimulate me and make me feel normal.

So, how y'all been?
Posted By: Pov Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 01/20/08 01:16 AM
Housebound. tongue wink

But I had company today-- Mom "borrowed" my nephew Damien and brought him by for a visit. He's getting so big! And he's so bubbly and smiley. Kicked me out of the doldrums for a bit.

I'm glad to hear you're giving the medication a chance... it is unnerving at first, taking meds, but anxiety can be awful. BEEN there. wink hug

Scott's been posting about working on the next ATOMIC ROBO mini. Are you still on board?
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 01/20/08 11:54 PM
It sucks to be housebound! Obviously, my situation isn't the same as yours, but I don't get out much, especially in the winter, so I can sympathize! It really brightens my day to get phone calls from friends and family, or even just run out for a quick cup of coffee.

It's really cold here this past week; extreme windchill warnings in the -40's! And wouldn't you know it, I needed to go the pharmacy! But I bundled up and it wasn't so bad.

Definitely on board for the next Atomic Robo. Working on a story for FCBD right now.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 01/21/08 12:43 AM
How about if we all get transported to a villa overlooking the Mediterranean for the rest of winter?

Ronda, I hope that medication helps! It's good you took the step to actually call a doctor - too easy to just keep doing nothing otherwise.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 01/21/08 04:58 PM
Ronda,

Good for you that you got yourself help when you needed it.

I know about feeling lethargic. (I still need to update my resume)

I have to make this short. A cousin passed away and the wake is tonight. I have to go get ready.

I second Fat Cramer's suggestion about a transport to a villa on the Mediterranean.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 01/21/08 06:02 PM
Ronda-

Bravo for you, for taking steps to address your needs. I go through blue/unproductive periods, too. I'm reminded of the old saying, "it's better to light a candle than curse the darkness."

I know what you mean about fear of medication/losing myself. There were times and places in life where I probably should have sough help but didn't (of course being a Yank I had the added avoidance factor of not being able to afford such care at the time I needed it).

As In understand it, medication can be a valuable step toward stability, as long as it's not treated as a permanent band-aid. I was skeptical for a long time, but I've seen short-term use work wonders for friends of mine, who have since moved off of it.

You are truly a gifted and creative person, and a wonderful human being. Never forget that. And if you start to, come back here and let us remind you.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 01/21/08 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
Ronda

You are truly a gifted and creative person, and a wonderful human being. Never forget that. And if you start to, come back here and let us remind you.
That has got to be one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me. I have tears in my eyes (the good kind) Thank you.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 01/24/08 05:32 PM
Ronda,

We will be getting an Arctic Blast from your way, so I just wanted to thank you for it. wink Maybe we can return the favor and send a blast of warm air your way.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 01/25/08 11:47 PM
Socks: where do they go?

Now I know it's considered a joke that dryers eat socks, but my socks have genuinely been disappearing for years. And my dryer has been broken for months, so it's not responsible. So where do they go?

I have a drawer filled with great socks, patterned with stripes, snowflakes, bears, cats, cows, penguins, Tiggers, giraffes, frogs, moose and more. Except that I only have one of each.

About two months ago I bought 6 pairs of black socks. On my last laundry day, I had two and half pairs left!

Where do they go!!!!!!????????
Posted By: Pov Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 01/26/08 01:38 AM
Time to call in the RCMP's. Comet wink
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 01/26/08 09:16 AM
They always get their socks.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lad Boy Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 01/26/08 10:33 AM
And hopefully getting back here among friends will help stimulate me and make me feel normal.
clearly, this is a place for all sorts of stimulation.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 01/26/08 04:04 PM
I have GOT to get me a pair of those! smile
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 01/27/08 06:09 PM
these last few posts remind me of Ambush Bug... remember Arggh!Yle? The sock with a Dr. Doom mask? He was secretly amasing an army of animated, evil lost socks.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 02/13/08 07:53 PM
A plug for my newest project: Indiana Jones Adventures!

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Dark_Horse_Comics_For_May_2008_112244.asp

Scroll way down to the bottom!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 02/13/08 10:03 PM
It looks good, Ronda.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 02/19/08 07:39 AM
I've had insomnia for 4 months. I finally thought it was getting better; for the last few days I've fallen asleep fairly quickly. But tonight it's back. I've been tossing and turning for 2 hours. Sigh. I guess I'll go try again...
Posted By: armsfalloffboy Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 02/19/08 06:17 PM
Insomnia sucks. My insomnia prevention checklist (I am capable of stressing myself out for the entire night, if I get the chance):

--Benadryl. It's the same drug they put in Tylenol PM, but without the liverbusting acetominophen. One usually does the trick, two knocks me out, three if it's two and I still can't get to sleep. There are other ways to get to sleep using a certain decriminalized (in Canada) substance, but that's illegal here...

--No tv. Too much blinky lights.

--Reset. If you're laying there and not sleeping, get up. Make a list. Watch tv in another room. Read a book. Then go back to bed.

--Remember, if you're an insomniac, sleep just isn't that important. Your day tomorrow will be more sucky without sleep, but it won't really be all that bad. Although it's really hard to remember that when you're looking at the clock at 3:30am.

--I also never go to bed unless I'm actually tired. My worst insomnia happens when I try to go to bed "early." I stay up until I can't keep my eyes open.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 02/20/08 06:43 PM
Thanks for the advice. The weird thing is, I have no trouble falling asleep during the day, when I "shouldn't". I've thought about trying to reverse my schedule, but I like daylight. And after a certain time of night I kind of just psychologically shut dowm and want to go to bed. Maybe I just need to be more active during the day. Also, I'm afraid of sleep aids! I have sleep apnea, and worry that if I medicate myself to sleep I'll asphyxiate!

I'm on waiting list to be tested and treated for the sleep apnea at a hospital, but I think I'm just going to pony up the dough and go to a private clinic so I don't have to wait anymore.
Posted By: armsfalloffboy Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 02/24/08 03:25 AM
Falling asleep during the day is easy--no pressure. It's only at night you feel that pressure to get to sleep. Ah, the things our brains do to us because it doesn't have to worry about where the next meal comes from or how to avoid being something else's next meal....

I roomed with a guy with sleep apnea on a Teaching American History grant trip to Williamsburg last summer. It seems like about the worst thing that could happen to a person.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 02/24/08 05:46 PM
A plug for my newest project: Indiana Jones Adventures!

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Dark_Horse_Comics_For_May_2008_112244.asp

Scroll way down to the bottom!
It belongs in a museum!

smile
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 02/24/08 05:49 PM
I'm on waiting list to be tested and treated for the sleep apnea at a hospital, but I think I'm just going to pony up the dough and go to a private clinic so I don't have to wait anymore.
Good luck with that.

My old buddy JD had similar problems at one time. He dealt with it by getting a night job.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 02/25/08 07:23 PM
So I noticed that my local movie theatre was showing a couple of matinees today (they don't normally have afternoon show on weekdays) so I figured I'd go. Turns out they were special "mommy and me" screenings where you can bring your kids and babies in big ass strollers and let them go nuts while you watch the movie without all the other patrons wishing you were dead. I decided to pass.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 02/25/08 07:32 PM
Sounds like last night for me. I was coming home from Dad's and when I arrived in North Station, High School Musical, the Ice Show was letting out. Tons of talking very loudly kids. In the commuter rail station, in the subway station, on the Green Line train. Luckily it ended when I switched to the Red line.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 02/25/08 08:18 PM
I'm pigging out on basketball.

Our girl's team (which has the number one rated (give or take) high school sophomore in the country what the hell is she doing here?) had a four point lead with less than a minute to go and, sigh... starting two sophmores and a freshman... took them out of the play-offs.

The boys play thursday against a team they haven't beaten in.... the 21st century.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 02/26/08 05:00 AM
Ok, time to generate some posts. Ronda needs playmates! How about 10 questions? (In case you don't have time for 20!) wink

1. What's the strangest thing on your desk/computer area right now?

2. What color are your bed sheets today?

3. What was the last thing you ate?

4. What was your worst subject in high school?

5. Do you have a business card?

6. What is your dream tourist destination?

7. How many DVD's do you own (ballpark)?

8. As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?

9. Do you hate your middle name?

10. Do you have a phobia or irrational fear?
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 02/26/08 05:04 AM
1. an antique wedding band. (I'm not married and it doesn't belong to anyone in my family)

2. n/a. They fell off from my constant tossing and turning and I haven't put fresh ones on yet.

3. potato chips

4. Physical Education. Really.

5. Yes

6. Italy

7. 400+

8. First a teacher, then a fashion designer, then a graphic artist. And I still want to be an astronaut.

9. Nope, it's pretty generic

10. Spiders. They freak me out.
Posted By: Rockhopper Lad Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 02/26/08 05:22 AM
1. A bottle of bitter apple spray which is used to keep dogs from biting or chewing on things.

2. Sage green

3. A Weight Watchers chocolate cake

4. Chemistry

5. I don't know how many times I've requested them, but I don't have any at the moment.

6. A month-long trip around Britain.

7. About 125.

8. A doctor, a priest, an architect, a cartoonist and a writer. I think librarian didn't come to me till adulthood.

9. I don't know that I hate it any more, but I used to. It's my father's name and one that is stereotypically associated with his ethnicity.

10. Sharp knives, but it's totally rational! wink
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 02/26/08 08:23 AM
1. A large wooden box of screws, bolts and assorted hardware.

2. Blue. Always blue.

3. Peanut butter cookies. Home made, too good!

4. French.

5. No.

6. Right where I live now.

7. 5 - 3 cartoons, 1 gardening, 1 cooking

8. Astronomer. Differential Equations dealt me out! It was an irrational choice anyways since I'm definitely not a night person.

9. Indifferent. Don't even know why it was chosen.

10. Telephones. Most of my other fears have some rational basis (I think), like driving in snowstorms or sailing in bad weather.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 02/26/08 10:25 AM
1. I'm using a laptop so we uh, might be best not to answer this one.

2. Kind of purplish.

3. Oatmeal-raison cookie.

4. Didn't have one, even got an 'A' in gym.

5. Not anymore.

6. Narnia

7. 2

8. Factory worker.

9. Nope

10. Being caught.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 02/26/08 03:28 PM
1) A book about the Dred Scott case

2) white

3) sugar-free chocolate covered mint cookies

4) Science I did good, but I hated it.

5) Yes

6) it's a tie between going to the UK, Australia, and a tropical South Seas Island.

7) about 50

8) A history teacher or a historian

9) Nope. But I don't like it either. Like rockhopper Lad, it is my dad's name.

10) No phobia or irrational fears
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 02/26/08 11:41 PM
1. My printer; I don't have space for it on any other surface in the room.

2. White (background), yellow (flower blossoms), and green (stems).

3. Fish and rice.

4. Recess.

5. No.

6. Italy, the land that produced my favorite foods, favorite pop songs, and favorite movies.

7. 90.

8. A paleontologist, then an animator.

9. Actually, I love my middle name. It's my first name that I hate -- most women with that name are twice my age.

10. Insects.
Posted By: Jerry Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 02/27/08 03:47 AM
1. a long wooden back scratcher

2. brown

3. a tuna melt

4. chemistry

5. yes

6. Ireland and Germany

7. 8

8. a popsicle saleman

9. My whole name is a mess, middle name Gerald with a G, but I go by Jerry with a J.

10. Getting killed in my sleep by a home intruder
Posted By: Faraway Lad Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 02/27/08 07:54 PM
1 An atlas and a book on Uniforms
2 White with a blue check throw
3 Mince with roast potatoes, vegetables and Yorkshire puddings followed by a fruit cake and custard
4 French
5 I do. Has my qualifications and everything on.
6 New Zealand
7 40
8 A musician
9 Not at all, two names one for each granddad
10 I have a fear of being smothered.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 02/28/08 03:59 PM
Ugh! It's one of those mornings where I wonder why I got out of bed at all!

My alarm went off 45 minutes after I finally managed to fall asleep. After hitting the snooze button too many times, I realized I had 25 minutes to get to get up, get ready, and get to the bus stop if I wanted to make my doctors appointment on time. I made it five minutes late, only to find the office locked. I waited around an knocked a few times before someone let me in. Then the small but scary receptionist informed that my appointment was 4 days ago!! I was sure my appointment card said Feb.28, unless her 5's look exactly like 8's!

So I grab a coffee and head home, only to miss the bus by seconds. I wait 20 minutes for the next one, and get off at the comic store. The comic store is closed! So I wait another 20 minutes for the bus. Then as I'm walking home I fall on some ice and hurt both my knees. I tried over and over to get up but between the ice and my hurt knees and general out of shape-ness, I could not get back up! I sat there on the ground until a pedestrian came along and helped me up. And it was a little old man! I should have been helping him! Talk about humiliating! What a morning!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 02/28/08 04:13 PM
OK, I won't complain about scrambling around last night getting my place ready for the painters that came today.

Sorry to hear about your fall. Was the ice on a sidewalk? I smell a lawsuit wink
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 03/01/08 02:58 AM
Probably made that little old man's day. He's back at the home talking about the hot young babe he picked up.

Sorry about your fall. Hopefully your spring will be better.

ba da bum bump.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 03/01/08 07:13 PM
I have spent all morning, and most of yesterday evening reading the archives of The Devil's Panties. If you're not reading this web comic, you should be! It's freakin' hilarious, with tons of comic references. For those of you not familiar, it's about a the life of a comic artist and her life on the convention circuit, etc.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 03/01/08 08:34 PM
1. a fake bird house (not mine - I'm staying at a B&B).

2. white-ish with plum designs.

3. a French pastry.

4. gym.

5. not a current card. I have small boxes in storage; it was a sort of kiss-of-death, as soon as I got cards I would soon be leaving that job.

6. Australia/New Zealand.

7. 10-15.

8. cop, astronaut, comic book artist.

9. no.

10. plenty.
Posted By: Ram Boy Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 03/01/08 09:36 PM
1. What's the strangest thing on your desk/computer area right now? An Elvis Presley doll.

2. What color are your bed sheets today? two-tone, striped green.

3. What was the last thing you ate? A handful of pretzels

4. What was your worst subject in high school? Economic theory (what the hell was that about?)

5. Do you have a business card? Yes

6. What is your dream tourist destination? Somewhere where there are no tourists.

7. How many DVD's do you own (ballpark)? A couple hundred?

8. As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? a spy or a superhero

9. Do you hate your middle name? No, it's adorable.

10. Do you have a phobia or irrational fear? Well, if I don't hang on to the armrest really, really hard, the wings will fall off the plane.
Posted By: rokk steady Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 03/03/08 11:50 PM
1. What's the strangest thing on your desk/computer area right now?

A Dr. Fate mini-bust which I use as a paperweight. My boss makes fun of me.

2. What color are your bed sheets today?

Light green.

3. What was the last thing you ate?

A Thin Mint girl scout cookie.

4. What was your worst subject in high school?

Social studies. Just found it incredibly boring.

5. Do you have a business card?

Yes. But I refuse to carry them around.

6. What is your dream tourist destination?

I've already been: Tahiti. As for places I haven't been yet: the Forbidden City, the Moon and Tuscany.

7. How many DVD's do you own (ballpark)?

A few hundred?

8. As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?

A superhero, of course! So I ended up being a lawyer who dreams about opening his own comic shop.

9. Do you hate your middle name?

I did when I was little, growing up in Arkansas. My middle name is Wayne. I had the same first name as my dad ("Michael") so everyone called me "Michael-Wayne" to differentiate. B/c we all had thick southern accents, it came out as "Mah-kul-Way-n."

10. Do you have a phobia or irrational fear? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Heights.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 03/06/08 04:46 AM
I had an ultrasound yesterday. No, I'm not pregnant! It was an abdominal ultrasound to look at my gallbladder and liver. It was surprisingly uncomfortable at times; they press down really hard with that little wand!

The technician was learning how to use a new machine, so I laid there for 45 minutes while they tested out it's various settings and took about 500 pictures of all my various organs.

Here's hoping to a clean bill of health! Results in 7 to 10 business days...
Posted By: Pov Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 03/06/08 12:57 PM
Here's hoping to a clean bill of health!
hug
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 03/06/08 01:43 PM
I'll ditto Pov:

Originally posted by Pov:
hug
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 03/06/08 03:38 PM
Dittoing Kent dittoing Pov.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 03/06/08 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
Dittoing Kent dittoing Pov.
That just sounds dirty. wink
Posted By: Pov Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 03/06/08 08:27 PM
lol

At least we're old enough to be mimeographed... eek :rolleyes: wink
Posted By: Faraway Lad Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 03/06/08 08:29 PM
Yup thats what dittoing Kent dittoing Pov will do to ya alright!

wink
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 03/06/08 09:08 PM
lol

At least we're old enough to be mimeographed... eek :rolleyes: wink
Pov! Get yer butt off the photocopier!
Posted By: Pov Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 03/06/08 10:08 PM
Finally, somebody noticed!

I broke through the glass at this year's X-mas party, and have been stuck here ever since...! shocked
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 03/07/08 05:08 AM
Finally, somebody noticed!

I broke through the glass at this year's X-mas party, and have been stuck here ever since...! shocked
rotflmao

Thanks, I needed that.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 03/07/08 05:42 PM
Has anyone ever actually photocopied their butt?
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 03/08/08 09:09 AM
A guy where I worked did, during the Xmas party. It seems like a real late-in-the-party sort of thing. "Les fesses de François" was pinned to the wall for about a day, then everybody sobered up and decided it wasn't that hilarious after all.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 03/08/08 10:06 PM
I'm cleaning house! The sense of accomplishment I'm feeling is absurdly out of proportion with what I'm actually achieving, but I've been putting it off for so long that any progress is a good thing!

Would you believe I haven't put away the Christmas decorations yet!?! They are conveniently piled on my treadmill, so I can't do that either. wink If only there was a prize for procrastination.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 03/08/08 10:15 PM
Well, you know you'll just have to get them out again in another 9 months wink

And I think I could give you a run for your money in procrastination.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 03/10/08 08:17 PM
Hmmmmm...so I got my ultrasound test results back today, which my doctor described as "nebulous". Meaning everything looks normal, except for some weirdness where my gallbladder connects to my kidney. It could be a sign of a blockage, or could be just the way I'm made. So back for more blood tests today, and if there are any anomalies, then I have to get a CT scan, or worse, they shove a tube down my throat and go for a look around. Fun!
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 03/31/08 08:10 AM
Ronda? Are you around? Or maybe your doctor prescribed a month on a tropical island?
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 03/31/08 09:49 PM
Hi FC. I'm still around. Alas, no tropical island, just laying low for a while as I deal with some pretty devastating personal issues. My boyfriend and I are separating after 13+ years together. frown
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 03/31/08 11:12 PM
That's awful, Ronda. frown Very hard. Stay in touch with us. hug
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 03/31/08 11:26 PM
What she said. hug
Posted By: Saturn Girl Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 04/01/08 04:21 AM
Please know that Scott and I will be wishing good things for you in this awful time. I'm so sorry that in the midst of your health crisis you are having to deal with the end of a relationship that was longer then some marriages. Please, please do everything you can to keep your spirits up and to believe that the future will be better. You need your physical strength right now, as well as emotional strength. I don't know why things seem to happen all at once, and you deserve so much better. Much love and positive energy going out to you from all of us!
Posted By: Rockhopper Lad Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 04/01/08 04:47 AM
More hugs can't hurt.

hug hug hug
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 04/01/08 01:05 PM
I'm tempted to ditto Rocky, but we all know where that'll lead.

(((((((((((((((((((Ronda!))))))))))))))))))
Posted By: Abin Quank Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 04/01/08 03:22 PM
hug hug hug
Posted By: Faraway Lad Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 04/01/08 08:34 PM
Ronda,

After 13 years, breaking up must be awful for you. I think Caroline is right, things seem to happen all together, and sometimes it can feel just too much. But the folks here on Legion World are a great bunch and if you need them they will be there for you. I spent a lot of late nights talking to some of the guys here when i was going through my divorce and its probably not too much to say that they kept me sane when things seemed pretty rough. So much so that when i met Jennifer she realised how close we had become and encouraged me to fly out to see them.

Big hugs and if you want to let off steam you know where we are.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 04/01/08 10:45 PM
Ronda, you are truly a beautiful, wonderful and creative, talented person.

Never forget that. We don't.

You have the strength to get through this, and you will find the better days that you deserve.
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 04/06/08 10:41 PM
Thank you everyone for your friendship and support; it means so much!

For now, I'm hanging in there and doing my best to just stay busy and distracted. My Mom has come to stay with me, and she's making sure I take care of myself and don't neglect my responsibilities.

In reality, not much has changed, as S. is still working out of town. I'm fairly accustomed to being alone. I don't like it, but I'm used to it. The hardest part right now is dealing with the loss of the future I though I would have. I thought we would be together forever.

And eventually he'll have to come back and get all his stuff and move out. Not looking forward to dealing with that.
Posted By: Pov Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 04/07/08 12:59 AM
hug
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 07/04/08 10:34 PM
Hey everyone! Well it's been a while since I selfishly demanded your attention! That means I'm long overdue. laugh

On the personal front, I'm hanging in there and I'll be okay. I'm still having a great deal of trouble of concentrating on my work, but I think that might just be due to chronic sleep deprivation (sleep apnea).

I'm SO looking forward to San Diego, meeting you all/seeing you again, and blowing off some steam!

So, what's new with all of you? Come out and play!
Posted By: KryptonKid Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 07/04/08 11:04 PM
Gimme
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 07/05/08 02:42 PM
Hey Ronda. Sorry i haven't posted to this thread before, and i haven't read of your troubles til just now. But, as a former true legionaire, and a highly respected, liked, and well thought of poster here on legion world (just as, if not more important than the whole legion thing), add my well wishes in too. This is one of the greatest boards on the internet, and when i am not stirring up trouble on the firestorm boards for dc, i come here to get on with the best people around. And lets face it, you've been pretty cool here.

I hope everything is going better for you. If not, let us know, we'll be here for ya.
Posted By: Rockhopper Lad Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 07/05/08 02:52 PM
I'm looking forward to getting to meet you and the other Legion Worlders, too, Ronda. We'll have a great time--and it's a vacation, so all diets are off! laugh
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 08/08/08 11:55 PM
So, I found out yesterday that the ex is finally coming back to pack up his stuff and move to LA permanently. He gets in tonight!

He'll be staying here for a week or two (on the couch!) while he settles his business.

We haven't seen each other since Christmas, and haven't even spoken, except for the odd email, since the break up in March. I have no idea how awkward and weird this is going to be.

Anyway, I may be hanging around a lot, looking for moral support and virtual hand holding!
Posted By: Outdoor Miner Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 08/09/08 04:32 PM
....and you'll get it too. So there.

Stay strong, Ronda.
Posted By: Pov Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 08/09/08 06:28 PM
Couldn't you just put up a tent for him on the lawn and toss all his stuff out the window? Betcha he wouldn't need two weeks to clear out then...

hug s!
Posted By: Stu Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 08/09/08 06:41 PM
hug hug hug
Posted By: mechana Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 08/09/08 09:50 PM
Thanks guys. So far, we're getting along just fine. I guess it's easier to let things go when you no longer have an investment in your future. It's hard to see how happy he is without me though. Nobody wants to be forgettable.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 08/10/08 05:34 PM
Ronda,

I could never forget you. I suspect that part of the "I'm so happy without you" is a false front. No matter how bad the relationship is, the breakup stirs up emotions and requires adjustment.

You could always show him CJ's picture and tell him about how this guy was falling all over you in San Diego.
Posted By: Pov Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 08/11/08 09:52 PM
And tell him Ceej is better in the sack than he ever was... evil laugh
Posted By: Faraway Lad Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 08/14/08 09:03 PM
hug Rhonda
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: The Totally Selfish thread - 08/15/08 10:45 AM
Sheesh! I hope he at least paid for a pizza or something while he's crashing at YOUR place. Still, it's good that the situation has resolved to amicable. And he wasn't nominated for an Eisner, was he?

BTW, I recommend a book, Blue Jelly, by Debby Bull. She was a writer for Rolling Stone and when her boyfriend left her, she decided to occupy some time by making jam with some huckleberries he left in the freezer. She discovers that jam, unlike relationships, really turns out well - and goes on to try other recipes, with comments on how they relate to her life.

From her Dilly Beans recipe: "Make sure the beans are really packed in. If they're not tightly packed in, when you're done, the beans float around, adrift, in the finished jars. It's a horrible thing to look at if you think it somehow resembles the way your life is going."

From Apple Butter: "Near the end you have to stir frequently to be sure the apple butter doesn't burn on the bottom of the pan. At this point, it starts hitting the ceiling. At least this is a mess you can clean up without therapy."

Anyways, at the end, she's worked it out and she has a whole pantry full of great food.
© Legion World