Legion World
Posted By: cleome57 Art For Art's Sake Thread - 06/29/09 03:54 AM
Because in my capacity as LMB Deputy, I've decided that we've gotta' have one. Whether or not other administrations decide to continue my legacy of funding the visual arts is, of course, up to them.

We'll start with a little something for one of the LMB stalwarts. I'm sure you can guess which one. Here's the fabulous Paper Toy Penguin by the amazing Makiko Azakami .

I only own one of her books, but someday I'll own more.

cool

Add your own at will.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 06/30/09 11:26 PM
Out Chorus (1979/80), an aquatint etching by Romare Bearden (1911-1988).

More info here .
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 07/02/09 12:24 AM
[removed because the artist went all TERF-y, and what a huge letdown]

sigh
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 07/17/09 01:55 AM
Above the Gravel Pit (1937), oil on canvas by Emily Carr (1871-1945).

More info here .
Posted By: Arachne Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 07/17/09 02:34 AM
Love Emily Carr.
Posted By: Candlelight Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 07/17/09 02:35 AM
Makiko's 'turnips in the pot'(my title for them), look like Pokemon and the 'kimono mouse' looks like a sweet version on the ninja rat sensai(sp) in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
Not meaning to bring the artist down into the manga media but . . .
smile

I wanted to download the Japanese that went with the paper toys book, but I was too afraid to.
Someone at the old DC Comics site once mailed all of his buddies from that site an email address to click on.
Which I blithely did.
And my whole computer crashed from a virus that turned all of the programing to Chinese.
sigh

And I know an older gal (early 50s) who buzz cuts her hair quite often, but she never looks like a guy!
She's a Buddhist.
smile

I love this thread and hope to contribute sometime.
Thanks
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 07/17/09 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Arachne:
Love Emily Carr.
I'd never heard of Carr, The Group of Seven, or any of that stuff before moving to the West Coast, Arachne. Even though I started out with art school back East. I think her imagery just resonates better with people from this part of the world than it did with those wacky New Yorkers. tongue
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 07/17/09 02:54 PM
(snip)

Originally posted by Candle:
Makiko's 'turnips in the pot'(my title for them), look like Pokemon and the 'kimono mouse' looks like a sweet version on the ninja rat sensai(sp) in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
Not meaning to bring the artist down into the manga media but . . .
I have this recurring dream where we commission her to make us flight rings and clubhouses out of paper. Oh, and Proteans, too. (Wouldn't paper Proty be awesome?) I'm thinking of asking permission to set up a tip jar in the Monitor thread for this purpose.

laugh

I love this thread and hope to contribute sometime.
Thanks
Good. That's what it's here for.

nod
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 07/17/09 03:34 PM
Originally posted by cleome:
[b] Love Emily Carr.
I'd never heard of Carr, The Group of Seven, or any of that stuff before moving to the West Coast, Arachne. Even though I started out with art school back East. I think her imagery just resonates better with people from this part of the world than it did with those wacky New Yorkers. tongue [/b]
actually, she is reasonably well known in the east, too. perhaps more so in recent years... but even in the 70s she had some quite successful shows in NYC.

but yes, her stuff is very Pacific NW, and magnificently so.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 07/17/09 09:43 PM
Well, you know NYC in the early Eighties, Kent. Navel-gazing was the big thing, along with Frankie Goes To Hollywood, and Marc Singer shooting guns at big incognito lizards on the television.

tongue
Posted By: Arachne Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 07/18/09 02:07 AM
I got to see her work at the Canadian National Art Gallery. It really impressed me.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 07/18/09 02:10 AM
Interesting stuff Cleome. I've never really been moved by art but I have to say that one painting my wife and I found in Georgetown, SC really worked for me. It was kinda like Ms. O'keefe's work, but not...if that makes sense. It was a blood red flower, like a calla lilly. It was passionate and lush and a little obscene almost, and completely and totally beautiful.

But I am enjoying the complete randomness and eclectic taste you are showing.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 07/18/09 06:59 PM
I got to see her work at the Canadian National Art Gallery. It really impressed me.
No such luck for me, yet. But I am going to PAM tomorrow for their Free Day. They're unveiling a new acquisition: a statue of the Indian god Ganesh. I can't wait!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 07/18/09 08:14 PM
(snip)

Originally posted by rickshaw1:
...if that makes sense. It was a blood red flower, like a calla lilly. It was passionate and lush and a little obscene almost, and completely and totally beautiful.
Well, if you're in the plant business, that would kinda' make sense.

ChameleonBoy

But I am enjoying the complete randomness and eclectic taste you are showing.
These are all folks that I've been crazy about for years. It only feels random to those who don't live inside my head.

wink
Posted By: Tamper Lad Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 07/19/09 03:08 AM
When did they start charging admission? I'm shocked, I used to go a few times a year when I lived up there. The permanent collection was free. And that was when the country was bankrupt. Damn the art-hating Harper Tories.

I need to go to the Art Gallery of Ontario this summer. I haven't seen the place since they renovated and transferred Ken Thomson's donated collection. Just thinking of how much he paid for Reuben's Massacre of the Innocents blows my mind. I want to see all the Group of Seven stuff but being fan of Naval History, I really I want to see his collection of model ships.

[b] Love Emily Carr.
I'd never heard of Carr, The Group of Seven, or any of that stuff before moving to the West Coast, Arachne. Even though I started out with art school back East. I think her imagery just resonates better with people from this part of the world than it did with those wacky New Yorkers. tongue [/b]
Ah The Group of Seven. Something else else about the bleakness, drearyness and emptiness of their landscapes just says Canada.
Posted By: Arachne Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 07/19/09 03:28 AM
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
[b] I got to see her work at the Canadian National Art Gallery. It really impressed me.
When did they start charging admission? I'm shocked, I used to go a few times a year when I lived up there. The permanent collection was free. [/b]
I didn't say I paid anything, but I probably did. It wasn't the permanent collection, it was a special retrospective on her life.
Posted By: Candlelight Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 07/19/09 06:38 AM
Above the Gravel Pit (1937), oil on canvas by Emily Carr (1871-1945).

More info here .
I wish I could enlarge the image so I could study the small parts a little better, but the landscape looks a lot like a number of US states that I've seen.
Admittedly, they usually border Canada, as well.
Michigan, where I was born and raised, for one, looks similar in some parts.
Oregon and Washington look like that on the coast, too.
As do a few others.
smile

I love her sky treatment.
I have a fascination with skies as/and backgrounds.
Hers looks a little like the inside of a paint can.
I tried for a sort of comparable effect in one of my silkscreens, once, with debateable success.

I hadn't heard of Emily before.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 07/19/09 08:39 AM
Bruno Coté , not Group of Seven but you can see their influence. Some of his colours get very bright , which I like.

Who would be the quintessential American landscape artists? First one I think of is Ansel Adams.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 07/19/09 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
[b]
[b] I got to see her work at the Canadian National Art Gallery. It really impressed me.
When did they start charging admission? I'm shocked, I used to go a few times a year when I lived up there. The permanent collection was free. [/b]
I didn't say I paid anything, but I probably did. It wasn't the permanent collection, it was a special retrospective on her life.[/b]
I love the National Gallery in Ottawa! a lot of great works. I think Daphne Odjig, a great Native artist, has a retrospective coming up there, too (and one in New Mexico soon, too).
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 07/19/09 03:34 PM
(snip)

FC wrote:

Who would be the quintessential American landscape artists? First one I think of is Ansel Adams.
I'd have to give it to George Inness .

[sulks] I can't paint my way out of a paper bag.

That Bruno Cote' is great stuff, FC. (Canadian Fauvism? Who knew? wink )
Posted By: Candlelight Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 07/19/09 06:04 PM
Who is in the 'Group of Seven'?

I've studied art all of my life, but there is so much I don't know or remember.
sigh

On the bright side, I looked up 'fauvism' and got an incredible site at www.artyfactory.com

The Inness site was wonderful, too.
I could see in his work 'Niagra', areas that might have influenced Cote's landscape.
Of course, similarities might just arise from topography.
Posted By: Candlelight Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 07/19/09 06:10 PM
Also ~ fauvism on the yahoo toolbar, click images and go from there.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 07/20/09 08:45 AM
The Group of Seven at the McMichael Museum. Essentially a bunch of guys back in the 20s who decided to paint Canadian scenes, heavy emphasis on wild (as opposed to urban) landscapes. Seven of them got together for a group exhibit, hence the name.

I didn't know this until I looked it up, but Tom Thomson, one of the Group, was dead by the time the group formed, yet he's always associated with it.

If you're ever in Toronto, the McMichael Museum is definitely worth a visit. The building itself is beautiful.

That artyfactory site is very interesting - they even have lessons!
Posted By: Tamper Lad Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 07/21/09 01:21 AM
The McMichael Gallery is nice. A bit hard to get to without a rental car if fly into the city though. Probably an an hour's drive from downtown.

Many of the Group of Seven are actually buried on the grounds of the Museum.
Posted By: Candlelight Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 07/21/09 02:59 AM
I enjoyed Harris' 'Pit Island'!
My eyes like simple, bold lines and colors now.
sigh

I read all of the short biographies and I'll try to find more of their work.
I liked the 2 portraits, too, the 'Girl in Red' and the one of the celloist.

Thanks FC.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 07/21/09 04:01 AM
Thanks for posting that link, FC.

Here\'s the Ganesha statue I saw with mr_cleome yesterday. They had a number of smaller carvings, too. Along with textiles and photographs of Indian temple architecture.

cool
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 07/21/09 08:41 AM
Lovely sculpture.

Museums restore paintings to their original condition, or as close as possible/probable, but don't seem to do the same for sculpture. They fixed the Pieta after somebody attacked it, but usually sculpture is "as is". Would Winged Victory have the same impact if her head was restored? Or does having parts missing in a sculpture add to the perception of age and agelessness? Whereas an old and dirty painting just looks muddy....
Posted By: Candlelight Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 07/22/09 07:31 AM
Probably.

Now-a-days, when they restore paintings they usually don't try to fill in lost pigment colors, though.
Work on the 'Last Supper' by DaVinci cleaned off atmospheric grim and old paints added to repair damage over the centuries.

The restorer filled gaps with a neutral cream colored paint.

There wasn't a lot of lost pigment in the Sistine Chapel where Michaelangelo's work was restored a few years ago because he didn't experiment with pigments like DaVinci and he used a wet plaster method that holds up better against time.
But old 'restoring' paints were removed there, too.

Sculptures are usually kept how they're found unless a broken piece(s) are found with the statue or relief. Those are sometimes replaced but usually so that the breaks can be seen or broken parts may be on display beside the sculpture.

They DO clean them and try to keep them from deteriorating, though.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 09/05/09 05:31 AM
I was lucky enough to see a show called "The Artist At Sea" earlier this evening. (Most of the crowd had dispersed by 7-ish, so it was easy to get close to the small pics and stand the proper distance from the large ones.)

Here's one of the pics, by a painter named Mimi Fox . I did a double take when I saw her name, because there's a killer jazz guitarist with the same name, but they're definitely not the same person.

Here\'s the gallery link. Don't know how long it'll stay up.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 09/05/09 09:34 AM
Beautiful! I really like that Wagner at Midnight one.

There's a similar type of painting of waves crashing on shore in a gallery near here, which I admire through the window. I've thought of inquiring, but then I wonder why put a picture of waves on the wall, when I can just walk down to the shore and see them....
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 09/06/09 03:49 AM
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
I've thought of inquiring, but then I wonder why put a picture of waves on the wall, when I can just walk down to the shore and see them....
Look, if anyone thinks it's too extravagant or too strange, just put on a superior look and huff, "Those are from a different part of the ocean, you plebian!"

You can't see it in the images, but several of the larger paintings had mixed-in gloss polymer/gesso or some kind of varnish/sealant that kept the surfaces very shiny: creating the illusion that the paint hadn't actually dried.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 09/11/09 08:08 PM
Graham Chaffee used to be a cartoonist, and a damn fine one , too. His work for Drawn and Quarterly and Fantagraphics is what I think of when I try and explain to doubters just how fantastic "alternative" comics can be.

Nowadays, he's working as a tattoo artist , and he's every bit as amazing at doing that. (Note: main page NSFW.) I especially love the jellyfish (man o'war?) and the Tenniel Alice.
Posted By: Ram Boy Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 09/12/09 04:05 AM
If ever I were going to buy an original work of art, it would have to be from Francoise Nielly[/color] . Her portraits (especially some of the earlier ones) seem almost sculptural. [color:Orange] This one and this one are two of my favorites.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 09/18/09 07:48 PM
Ram Boy, these are really vibrant and, yeah, almost 3-D in the way they fill up space.

Really loving this one the best.
Posted By: Fat Cramer Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 09/19/09 09:40 AM
Those tattoos are beautiful! Lots of maritime/pirate themes. I like the typewriter with wings, but can't help but think, what if she gains weight? Maybe it's an incentive to stay slim.

Very striking portraits, as well. The single-color ones are very sculptural, a bit sombre; the multi-colors have a lot of energy.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 10/11/09 01:58 AM
A cool "costume" image from Sonia Delaunay (1885-1979) . (Since it's almost Halloween and all.)

Borrowed from here .

A bio and several other striking works are available here .
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 11/28/09 10:20 PM
I was over at the Grand Central Bakery coffee shop (local chain. good pie.) a few days before Thanksgiving. They're currently displaying work by a local art collective that specializes in art by artists from Zimbabwe who now live and work in this part of the U.S.

Some samples and a link back to the main page here . Most of the paintings are on slighly curved surfaces similar to a "display" plate. They're about 1' X 1', or a little smaller. The detail that the artists can pack into such a small space is pretty damn amazing.

There were some tapestries and other kinds of cloth works as well, but the paintings were my favorite.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 03/14/10 04:40 PM
Three surviving portraits by 19th Century painter Marie Bashkirtseff (Russia, 1858-1884).

Lots more images and a detailed bio here .
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 03/21/10 08:28 PM
Dark Angel (1996), Egg Tempera on Gesso Panel, by George Tooker (b. 1920), USA
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 04/02/10 01:27 PM
bump

...at Candle's request.
Posted By: Candlelight Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 04/02/10 06:11 PM
Let me try this as a link, first:
(I have to figure out how to do it with the title of the picture, it's so elegant that way.)

This is a version of Gustov Klimt's 'the Kiss' (I'm pretty sure.)
http://gi105.photobucket.com/groups/m228/CV1ARFWWH1/Klimtmorph.gif
Posted By: Candlelight Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 04/02/10 06:18 PM
Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh:

http://gi105.photobucket.com/groups/m228/CV1ARFWWH1/starrynight2morph.gif
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 04/03/10 05:02 PM
Oh, my. [boggles] That first one makes me think of "sand art," and the second reminds me of those "Fidgit" toys we had as kids. There was a flat surface the size and shape of a coaster. Two panes of clear plastic with multi-colored oils in the middle. When we moved our fingers over the lower pane, the oil would shift and change colors on the top!

Starry Night seems to have influenced a lot of cartoonists. Gilbert Hernandez, for one, likes to ink a lot of his landscape backgrounds "Starry Night" style.

cool
Posted By: Ram Boy Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 04/04/10 12:11 AM
Loving the Starry Night gif, Candle. I'm wondering if I've seen a similar effect in a movie or maybe a TV spot.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 06/13/10 03:22 AM
A glorious assortment of sculptures by Diego Giacometti (1902-1985), Switzerland. Third from the bottom is my favorite, simply called "Ostrich."

I honestly think that if I could afford to acquire one piece of "great art," it would be that one. So solid and yet so mysterious, too!

love
Posted By: Arachne Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 06/13/10 11:47 PM
Lovely. I like the Cat Butler. smile
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 06/15/10 04:16 AM
Me, too, Arachne. nod

I've seen this statue reproduced in museum gift shops before. The fantasy of the obedient cat servant must be strong in a great many of us cat lovers. laugh
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 06/20/10 03:45 PM
Okay. Joan Miro (1893-1983, Spain)... what to say? You either "get" his vibe or you don't. Personally, I love it.

"Toward the Rainbow" (from the series "Constellations." )

The jazz drummer and composer Bobby Previte wrote a whole series of pieces based on this series of paintings. One of the interesting things he said about it is that modern painters (and curators and viewers) expect paintings to be huge. It's almost shocking how much Miro could pack into these relatively small spaces. (Previte made a point of having all his musical interpretations also stay small: they clocked in at around two minutes apiece.)

(One of Miro\'s own poster promos...)
Posted By: Arachne Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 06/21/10 12:27 AM
Nice. That's my kind of abstract.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 09/26/10 03:16 PM
Mine, too A!

I always feel kind of sad when people look at work like Miro's and say, "Yeah, well my eight-year-old could paint better than that!" I think they miss the whole idea that Miro wanted his stuff to have a feeling of youthful intensity to it. (Despite some of the dirty imagery! tongue )

Anyway, moving along:

"Les Deux Chats" (1918) by Susanne Valadon (1865-1938, France).

A bio, and other images here .
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 02/27/16 03:51 PM
bump

Because there's always room for art, Baby!
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 02/09/21 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by cleome54
bump

Because there's always room for art, Baby!

What she said!
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 02/10/21 05:27 AM
Well, it IS Black History month, so how about some Romare Bearden (1911-1988) again :

https://jjacoblawrence.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/romare-bearden-three-folk-musicians.jpg
Posted By: Legion Tracker Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 02/12/21 02:36 AM
Love some Romare Bearden. I think I see why you would too, cleome.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 02/12/21 07:32 AM
nod

That pic almost convinced me that I had synesthesia. I can hear music when I look at it.

A couple of random obscurities from an old art theory book which once belonged to my Dad (R.I.P.) :

Mario Carreno (1913-1999) "The Promenade"

Louis Gugliemi (1906-1956) "Solitudes"
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 02/12/21 11:46 AM
All three are great. Thanks, Cleome.

I especially like Gugliemi's eye for color.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 02/14/21 02:51 AM
Yeah, as nice as the black-and-white book is, it's a revelation to see the paintings in color. (And to see if they match up with the color schemes you originally imagined.)
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 02/16/21 01:29 AM
I've been web-browsing other Gugliemi paintings. I particularly like "Women of Peterboro" (Hope this link works.)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_0n9IExEpm...8dKYm8/s1600/Women+of+Peterboro+1932.jpg
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 05/17/21 11:37 PM
Oh, yeah. I like this. The diagonal of the street is what keeps the rest of it from seeming overly static and flat.

Now thinking a lot about Kurt Schwitters.

hmmm

I don't usually see his commercial work and his personal work side by side like this, so that's cool.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 05/26/21 07:50 PM
Jeez, how did I forget that I actually have a couple of photos of Louise Nevelson's (1899-1988) incredible sculptures? (I've been a fan for ages, but that's what happens when you own more books and magazines than anyone in the world needs. Heh.)

https://louisenevelsonfoundation.org/gallery.html

I read a critic from the Sixties who praised her work as "severe." I don't know. Despite her fondness for single-colored structures, I've always found them very welcoming and even whimsical at times. To each their own.
Posted By: Legion Tracker Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 05/27/21 01:13 AM
I LOVE... I'm captivated by Louise Nevelson's work. Have been for years.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 05/28/21 05:32 AM
But... do you find it... severe, LT?

hmmm
Posted By: Legion Tracker Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 05/29/21 01:04 AM
Heck no. Like you said, "welcoming and even whimsical at times." I like geometric designs (among many other things), and her work often seems like geometry becoming organic...or the other way around. They make me feel both amazed and comforted.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 08/23/21 08:57 PM
Months later, I finally get my personal Nevelsons uploaded:

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/330399/album/1304956

Just scroll to the end of the page.

Enjoy!

(The best part of virtual sculpture ownership is that the cat can't climb in it, and you don't have to hire specialized staff to dust for you.)
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 08/23/21 09:50 PM
oooh great collection, cleome!!!!
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 08/23/21 11:50 PM
Wow! She was a visionary! Thanks, Cleome.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 08/24/21 07:17 PM
[bows] I was so excited to finally get those into the album.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 10/27/21 07:16 PM
Since I was just thinking about my last visit to the Seattle Art Museum, here's a link to one of the most memorable artists I saw there:

https://samblog.seattleartmuseum.org/2017/10/breakfast-series-sonny-assu
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 10/28/21 03:40 PM
Thanks, Cleome. Brilliant satire that cuts deep, as the best satire always does.
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 12/25/21 02:20 PM
This year for Christmas, my parents gave me a book about Fauvism.

I love the bright colors, and the way that the sensuousness of the brushstrokes themselves is often the whole point of these works.

Anyone else have thoughts on Fauvism?
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 12/25/21 09:07 PM
I have a tough time keeping up with who's a Fauve and who's not. My mind tends to throw in anyone from the first half of the 20th Century who adored large fields of brilliant color. Like either Delaunay, or Franz Marc. love

https://www.franzmarc.org

There's a scene in one episode of Columbo where the murder is over a priceless collection of fine art. There's a cheesy-looking horse painting in one scene which was clearly a slap at Marc. But whatever... shrug
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 12/26/21 11:52 AM
That's beautiful! Thanks, Cleome!

That book on Fauvism clarifies a lot about who is and who isn't. The authoress, Sarah Whitfield, posits Matisse as the movement's leader of sorts.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 12/31/21 10:45 AM
FAR on the other end of the spectrum, an installation about being "ghosted" by a platform provider:

https://silviolorusso.com/work/platform-ghosts

"In the context of personal relationships, ghosting is considered hurtful, rude and dehumanizing. In the context of platforms, ghosting makes digitally mediated labor even more precarious and atomized. When the threshold between work and life is very thin, the termination of a YouTube account can mean very different things: it can be a trifle for a casual user, but it can become a tragedy for a professional vlogger. This is equally true for those performing what academics Mary L. Gray and Siddharth Suri call ghost work: the hidden human labor powering apps and artificial intelligence systems."

The writing doesn't say it, but in a way the divided panels, which cause a "hiccup" effect because you have to read a sentence broken in half by a gap in space, bring to mind the panels and gutters of comics. Except in this case the "illustration" is the viewer silently regarding the writing and the bright-colored panels.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 02/16/22 09:45 PM
I got a sweet deal last weekend on a book of works by the painter and sculptor Audrey Flack (b.1931). I was so fond of her photo-realist still life paintings when I was just starting college. At book size, they have an intimate feel. But in real life, they're monumentally large works.

http://www.audreyflack.com/photorealism
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 02/17/22 01:12 AM
Oh, my good gods, that's astonishing! Her eye for color! The pristine hyper-realism!

Thanks, Cleome.

Meanwhile, I found out the other day that Francoise Gilot turned 100 last November. Joyeux centieme anniversaire, Madame! I've been planning to borrow her first book, "Interface: The Painter and the Mask," from my library.
Posted By: cleome57 Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 02/17/22 02:01 PM
That's a new name for me.

Another of my favorite Realists, Wayne Thiebaud, made it all the way to 101.

https://poulwebb.blogspot.com/2010/11/wayne-thiebaud-cityscapes.html
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: Art For Art's Sake Thread - 02/17/22 03:03 PM
Magnificent!
© Legion World