Legion World
Posted By: matlock Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/02/08 12:28 AM
Because it's just about time...

Seriously, after all this time waiting and waiting I'm ready to go.
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/04/08 12:55 PM
Woohoo! Can't wait!!!! We're having friends over to watch the premiere. I've avoided spoilerish images and promos, but I imagine revelations to shock and amaze!
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/04/08 07:56 PM
It's only hours away!!!! love
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/05/08 01:43 AM
I'm bad. I didn't see one episode of season three (not that I can remember). But Comcast just added Sci-Fi in HD so I taped the two part season finale and the season 4 premier. Onto the iPhone they go!
Posted By: Suddenly Seymour Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/05/08 02:27 AM
You recorded it in HD, but you're gonna watch it on that tiny little screen? What's the point? We have a 36-inch, and it still wasn't big enough for all the season premiere goodness.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/05/08 02:30 AM
It is so I can watch at work to catch what I miss after watching it on my 50" plasma. BSG always takes me two showings to take it all in.
Posted By: doublechinner Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/05/08 02:38 AM
Well, it's off with a bang. Not that we would expect anything less. I'm most captivated (as I often am) by Baltar's story. Here, we see a take on the Christ figure that could never have occured to me -- what if you had done something so bad, so unforgivable, that you just completely surrender your volition to god(s), but that surrender is viewed as divine inspiration and presence? Having avoided conviction by humans, Baltar has now "convicted" himself. In so doing, he is ready to die, and therefore brings life. It's a fascinating conceit. What if the teachings of Jesus, of Mohammed, of Buddha, sprang from their own seemingly unforgivable sins? Having said all that, I thought James Callis's performance was strangely off; too wide-eyed and incoherent.

The other moment that made the episode was Lee's question to Adama: What if Zak had climbed out of Starbuck's viper, alive again? What if he were a Cylon, had been one from the very beginning? Would you not love him with all your heart? It was such an amazing moment of insight for Lee, and Adama didn't really have a reply.

All of this suggests that, at the heart of the matter, I think it's about...forgiveness. (Sorry, Don Henley). This is about Human and Cylon both forgiving each other their transgressions and finding a common ground on which to go forward.
Posted By: doublechinner Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/05/08 02:50 AM
On more practical points:

1) Last I recall, the Cylons had decided to head to earth too. At that point, wouldn't they have ceased overt hostilities towards the humans? If anything, don't they want to know what the humans know about earth.

2) Given 1), why did the Cylons attack in the first place at the Ionian nebula? Was it self-defense on their part, a pre-emptive strike since they expected the humans to attack? Or, does part of the new plan for earth include killing the neighbors before you move in?

3) The Anders/Centurion stare down (which was just one of many ubercool moments of acting, directing and editing) means that the Cylons now know that Final 5 are in the fleet. That certainly means that the Cylons won't attack again, right? To maintain tension, the humans can't find out very soon. They have to think that the threat of attack is always an imminent one.
Posted By: wamu2 Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/05/08 03:42 AM
Originally posted by doublechinner:
On more practical points:

1) Last I recall, the Cylons had decided to head to earth too. At that point, wouldn't they have ceased overt hostilities towards the humans? If anything, don't they want to know what the humans know about earth.

2) Given 1), why did the Cylons attack in the first place at the Ionian nebula? Was it self-defense on their part, a pre-emptive strike since they expected the humans to attack? Or, does part of the new plan for earth include killing the neighbors before you move in?

3) The Anders/Centurion stare down (which was just one of many ubercool moments of acting, directing and editing) means that the Cylons now know that Final 5 are in the fleet. That certainly means that the Cylons won't attack again, right? To maintain tension, the humans can't find out very soon. They have to think that the threat of attack is always an imminent one.
1) Perhaps the group of six(the lawless series has been put in stasis right) is divided on what to do?

2) Why share the pie when you can have the whole thing

3) here's what I really liked about that scene:

even though the final five are unknown to the rest of the group(except the lawless series), the Raiders and I presume the Centurions, are programmed to recognize them anyway. which implies to me that one of the final five is the ultimate boss of the other series, or at least was first. after all, somebody had to program in the recognition code. or could their be someone above the final five?

also I don't Starbuck is the final one. my money is on the president. I think her visions and connection to the captured six are a big clue.

by the way, the first 8 minutes were so good I didn't sit down until the commercial break. smile
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/05/08 02:56 PM
Starbuck would be a too-easy choice for the 5th. So might Roslin, too... I'm expecvting something waay out of left field for #5.

I'm assuming Kara was saved/guided by this series' version of the City of Light beings: the shiney-white viper, the 'call' into the gas giant, the star following the fleet... it seems like them.

The cylon attack was a necessary all-out one so the humans would have to feild everyone they had - otherwise Anders might not have made contact. Clearly almost all of the humans were and are expendible towards that end. With contact, we have... what? They were already activated with the song, so this was most likely merely a massive decoy effort to confirm activation.
Posted By: Set Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/07/08 02:23 PM
So how about Baltar's visit to the hooker-deck?

'Cause when I saw the red-curtained, candle-lit, many-beds and no-other-furniture-decorated room full of hotties, and some random dude hurriedly putting his shirt back on, I sure didn't think 'temple.' I thought, 'Hey, this must be where Cassiopiea has been hiding!'
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/07/08 06:51 PM
maybe that sort of temple could catch on!
Posted By: THE LABRADORIAN Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/08/08 01:53 AM
so what about the Chief's child, half cylon, that hasnt been addressed yet and should be interesting.
Posted By: matlock Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/08/08 02:00 AM
I do like how there's a whole empty room on Galactica ready for Baltar's hottie cult when they had overcrowed refugee camps on board only recently. And random civilians wandering around the ship like it was Next Generation. I guess Joe's Bar is going to be hiring now. Maybe that'll be Lee's new position.
Posted By: wamu2 Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/12/08 02:19 PM
another good episode. but something I was struck about something by last night's episode.

is it possible that the development/rebellion going on among the Cylons is mirroring what happened among the 12 colonies? did the colonies turn the Centurions on each and the Centurions decided neither side was worthy?

now that the Centurions have 'free will' will they once again rebel against their masters. after all, relatively speaking they are more powerful than the human looking Cylons.

and given this episodes revalations, why don't the human Cyclons recognize the lost ones, but the dumber raiders can. interesting.

lastly, has anyone ever gone to a poetry slam? because I tell ya, the baseship A.I. could win one easily, they just need a jazzy back beat while they riff. smile
Posted By: doublechinner Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/12/08 02:46 PM
There are episodes where BSG is captivating, others where it goes over the edge with loud histrionics. I think last night sorta crossed the line for me. Starbuck is just too over the top for too much of the time.

Set's point about the "temple" is totally cool and I totally missed it! Of course, "harlotry" was an integral part of many pre-Christian religions, especially goddess worship like Isis/Astarte/Ishtar.

The one thing I appreciated most about this episode was the fact that we really don't know WHO is right -- Adama or Roslyn, and that makes for good drama. I started thinking last night that Starbuck would be the downfall of the humans because they WON'T listen to her, that is, she becomes an agent of dissension and mistrust even though she's right. But I really don't know.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/12/08 07:25 PM
I found the Cylon civil war potential to be very exciting... maybe that was Boomer's intent in switching votes?

Kara was over the top... but it it more or less fit. Kara's a passionate person anyway, and always acts on emotion... so for her to really feel something so intently, it kinda had to be even more than usual. And she was brilliantly balanced by Adama, who grounded her, grounded the situation, and really made it come together (not just in his solution).
Posted By: matlock Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/19/08 02:05 AM
Oh, damn, damn, damn. I'm all wrung out after that one. I can't believe it. I watched the last 20 minutes with my hands over my mouth so I wouldn't, I don't know, shout at the screen and wake the family up. That was the most gut-wrenching episode since the Circle was offing Cylon collaborators.
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
s
seriously
spoilers

Not Cally!!! RRRR. Tory is a bad cylon/person/thing. But that's not exactly news is it?
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/19/08 02:54 AM
Yeah, Callie's fate was pretty much sealed.

But the biggest shock for me was Boomer kissing whatsisname old cylon dude. I mean, he was all gooey and everything too -- eewwwww.....
Posted By: matlock Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/19/08 03:11 AM
Yes, that was pretty unnerving as well. Ew.

Manipulation and betrayal seemed to be a big theme tonight. The Cavils turning on the Sixes, Zarek and Roslin both trying to make Lee a pawn.

Still, seeing ol' Doc Cottle lighting up an bantering with poor Cally was pretty funny. And I love that Gaeta, who I think still hates Kara, is stuck on her crazy go-nowhere loony trip.
Posted By: wamu2 Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/19/08 01:59 PM
Doc Cottle is awesome. he speaks truth, and will smoke when and where he pleases.

Tory is starting to be a lot less conflicted than the others. I wonder if that is just her, or will the others show the same negative development.

it was a quick moment, but one of my favorite parts was the Centurion waiting to be asked please before caring out a request. which makes sense, other than not looking human, and I guess not having verbal speech, they have the same programming don't they? so why should he feel inferior to one of the 12?

and lastly, my hats off to the production crew. I could almost smell the stuffy air and bad odors on that garbage barge. smile
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/21/08 03:47 AM
So far BSGS4 has been a bit slow out of the gates for me for the most part. The developments with the Four nad the Cylon civil war in episode 3 were a little more like it though. I always liked Callie, so it was sad to see her go. I wonder if Tory will tell the other skinjobs how it really went down?

All in all, we just haven't had that 'Final Season' vibe as much as I'd like. It feels like the plots are either going at normal speed, or possibly even a hair slower in some ways. We've only got seven more frakkin' eps to wrap it all up, dammit! laugh

Anyhow, I don't mean to apply that BSGS4 is crap or anything, but I guess I was expecting a little more "pep" or something after waiting a year for it to return, y'know?
Posted By: wamu2 Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/21/08 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
So far BSGS4 has been a bit slow out of the gates for me for the most part. The developments with the Four nad the Cylon civil war in episode 3 were a little more like it though. I always liked Callie, so it was sad to see her go. I wonder if Tory will tell the other skinjobs how it really went down?

All in all, we just haven't had that 'Final Season' vibe as much as I'd like. It feels like the plots are either going at normal speed, or possibly even a hair slower in some ways. We've only got seven more frakkin' eps to wrap it all up, dammit! laugh

Anyhow, I don't mean to apply that BSGS4 is crap or anything, but I guess I was expecting a little more "pep" or something after waiting a year for it to return, y'know?
I like to think the final season is like a swing-wing jet fighter. they have taken off, they are at cruising altitude, and now they are moving the wings back to hit super sonic.
Posted By: matlock Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/22/08 09:55 AM
Lardy - there's another 10 eps in the pipeline that have yet to be scheduled, so things aren't quite so dire. I was actually worried things would be too rushed this year trying to cram it all in, so I've been happy to have a little breathing room in these first few shows.
Posted By: Bubble Wrap Boy Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/22/08 01:31 PM
I actually always hated Callie, so I was happy to see her go... but damn... that was pretty cold-hearted.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/22/08 04:26 PM
Originally posted by matlock:
Lardy - there's another 10 eps in the pipeline that have yet to be scheduled, so things aren't quite so dire. I was actually worried things would be too rushed this year trying to cram it all in, so I've been happy to have a little breathing room in these first few shows.
Actually, I typo'd in that post. I meant to say "seventeen" not seven. I'm aware that we're in the midst of a ten-episode stretch and that the back ten may not be shown 'til 2009! FRAK!!!

Still, there's a lot to wrap up in seventeen episodes. I wonder if this half season will end with the final Cylon reveal?
Posted By: doublechinner Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/26/08 02:39 AM
Well, tonight certainly didn't let up on the intensity! Tigh gettin' it on with Caprica 6 was, well, something else. I didn't really see that coming.

I REALLY liked the scene in the bar between Tyrol and Adama. All these "hidden four" are really on their own journeys of self-discovery now. It was good to hear him say what he did about Callie--clearly he was unhappy, even before he found out he was a Cylon. It was good to see him confront that.

I remain absolutely transfixed by the transformation of Gaius Baltar into Jesus Christ. Notice how it really looked like someone picking him up after being knocked down -- it looked that way even to the characters who couldn't see number 6? Maybe she is the holy spirit or something? The mention of Mithraists was fun, too. Moore and Eicke have done their axial age homework here, and it shows.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/26/08 04:23 AM
I'd rate this the best of the four episodes of this season so far. Very intense character work surrounding Tigh and Tyrol!

Looks like the next one will focus primarily on Starbuck's mission. I kinda hope we still see some more of Tyrol and Tigh next week, though.
Posted By: wamu2 Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/26/08 01:20 PM
excellent work by the acting crew. wow, Tyrol's rant about his marriage and life in general. excellent performance.

the President needs to be impeached! on the other hand would they really be better off with Zarek running things?

and the Baltar plot is coming along nicely. nothing like religion to have people at one another's throats.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 05/17/08 07:08 AM
SPOILER-FREE!!!!

Galactica is rocketing into the stratosphere as we get deeper into this final season! After an initial slow start with its return, I feel like I'm watching some of the best television I've ever seen. Awesome, awesome episode tonight!

It's an absolute pleasure to watch two brilliantly-crafted series, Galactica and Lost, on back-to-back nights!
Posted By: doublechinner Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 05/18/08 03:20 PM
Watched the TIVO of Friday's episode yesterday. Man, what a show! It's like descending into a fully absorbing, engrossing world of despair and horror...of space! The characters really are spiralling together into the center of some maelstrom of revelation that I really can't guess at, though I continue to try. The Final 5 came from Earth!?!?! Even though that was from last week, it only sank in this week. That's just freaky, and the implications are stunning. Is Earth the secret architect behind the entire conflict of this series? Has it secretly manipulated both the colonials and the Cylons from their very inception?

The killings this week and last week, too, have a biblical quality to them. On the surface, they look like the tit-for-tat murders of rival gangs, but there's a deeper undercurrent to them, of two races (clans, groups) coming together and learning the hard way the rules of co-existence. Again, it has an Old Testament feel to it. And Hera's book of "6" doodles was one of the creepier things I've seen before. It only dawned on me then, the connection between the sixes and "666," the mark of the beast. And little Hera ends up out-Omening little Damien.
Posted By: lancesrealm Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 05/21/08 11:36 AM
Anybody know how many episodes of BatGal are left?
Posted By: doublechinner Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 06/14/08 03:43 AM
Wow. What an episode tonight. What a denouement (sic?) this series will have next year. I suppose, given the imminent fulfillment of everyone's hopes, tonight's twist was the only way to end the episode and continue the series. I had some premonition from last week's preview that something was very wrong with the earth they found. Still, this ending had the weight the best surprise endings, say Planet of the Apes. Wow. I was already feeling a little devastated tonight for a number of reasons. Now, after watching BSG, I feel...the dashing of all hope, everywhere, for all time. You blew it up, damn you! You had to go and do it! Damn you all!
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 06/14/08 03:48 AM
Yeah, it was absolutely devastating! Makes me wonder, though...where the hell do they go from here?!?! We've still got 11 hours of show to go next year!!!!

(Can't wait! smile )
Posted By: doublechinner Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 06/14/08 04:29 AM
Well, now that they know where earth is, they could go anywhere -- back to Kobol, back to the 12 colonies, whatever. Heck, they could go to Disneyland!

Of all the burning questions I have, the most powerful is the thing about Kara being the harbinger of destruction. The hybrid never specified WHOSE destruction.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 06/14/08 04:55 AM
I guess Earth not being the end was the ultimate reversal of our expectations by the creators! Our expectation was always that finding Earth would be the shows conclusion; now we know it's not.

There are still hostile Cylons out there, I'd imagine. I assume they're still occupying the colonies?

And of what significance is that final Cylon model still unrevealed? D'Anna said that only four of them were in the fleet. Was the fifth on the basestar at the time? Baltar or Roslin?

Was Kara the harbinger of Earth's destruction? At some point I'm betting we'll have full disclosure of what happened to her when she 'died'. When that is shown, I'm sure we'll know a lot more.

Finally, what role has Hera to play in all this? Her significance has been played up for a long time and was touched on again a couple episodes ago to remind us. What can this little girl possibly do?

For now, it seems we're left with a further deepening of the Jewish analogy as the colonists seem cursed to roam the desert a long, long time.
Posted By: THE LABRADORIAN Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 06/14/08 12:58 PM
i was very satisfied with the show last night, i was wondering if Tigh would give himself up and when he did i was just WOW!
Its what i wanted to happen but didnt think it would, at least not til later. I thought they were going to end the episode with them just arriving at Earth and not going down, and now that they are down on Earth, i still dont know the answer to my question. When are they? the future? the past? are there reigions based on oures or vice versa?
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 06/14/08 03:26 PM
I knida expected Earth wouldn't be everything it was cracked up to be; I could see it being unpopulated and the fleet and Cylon remnants repopulating it. Anything else mightveer close to G:1980 turf (contact or avoidance/etc).

Options:
1. This isn't really earth; it's an updated version of the red herring the original BSg encountered with the City of Lights story; the world with the West and East poised to destroy each other. Here, maybe they did; maybe Kara's last visit was the catalyst.

2. This is Earth in our distant past; Colonial earth met a grizzly end and the Earth we know will be setled and peopled by the fleet.

3. This is Earth in our future that either wiped iutself out, the 'evil' Cylons recently found it on their own and wiped it out, or Kara's visit likewise served as a catalyst. (maybe they'll travel back to WWII to change the outcome a la G:1980! nah. Don't think so)

Either way:
A. There could be survivors, even sub-surface ones.
B. Starbuck's voyage/ship haven't been explained' still seems like City of Lights to me (Earth survivors who advanced or ascended?)

I suspect the last Cylon is on Earth, or was, before the fleet's arrival. Otherwise, it's Starbuck, if it's a known cast member.
Posted By: doublechinner Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 06/14/08 05:57 PM
I'm still flashing on the overpowering emotion of less than 50,000 people surviving the annihilation of 12 planets, struggling desperately across space for years pursued by an implacable enemy, the hope of earth providing the only impetus to keep going, and when they get there, it's...the same blasted mess they all barely survived 4 years ago. It seems the only logicval choice, like any good plot in retrospect.

The more I reflected on this overnight, the more I realized that an outside force (the angels?) are manipulating this. I was convinced for the longest time that everything I didn't know the answer too (especially Starbuck) was the result of a hidden Cylon plot. But the signal from earth to Kara's viper confirms some other agency at work. And we "know" from the oracle that the final 5 have been to earth, and then there's the temple of the 5 and the eye of jupiter and all that.

Did the same entity that brought the humans and cylons to earth engineer manipulate the events that led to the destruction of the 12 colonies? Or are there competing agents at work here?

One scientific constraint: the appearance of the constellations. Stars move around at different speeds, so the shapes of constellations changes over time, depending on how far the major stars are from earth and how fast they move relative to our solar system (their "proper" motion). My cursory research hasn't turned up the "lifespan" of the zodiacal constellations, but I did see lots of examples of how the big dipper is only a dipper for a few tens of 1,000s of years to the past and future of us now. So if Moore and Eicke want to be accurate about it, the "earth" found at the end of last night's episode has to be 21C +/- say 20,000 years or so.
Posted By: Mystery Lad Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 06/15/08 09:28 PM
I'm a latecomer to this party. I watched an episode here and there in earlier years, but this season's the first one I've watched from beginning to end.

And I've been riveted. Guess I've finally partially forgiven Sc-Fi Channel for canceling FARSCAPE?

Anyway, I thought the last 10-12 minutes was among the best TV I've seen in years. The music worked, the crowd reactions were believable (I wonder if all the supporting players knew what the announcement they were going to hear was?) which is often lacking in these sort of plot events.

The twist of Earth (or at least the part of Earth they're standing on) being desolate and radioactive was heart-wrenching. The color went out of the actor's faces; their collective hope's death scene was one I'll never forget.

I find the underpinning of the worship of Greek gods fascinating. Has anyone plugged in the 12 Cylon 'prototypes' into the roles of the Olympian Pantheon? I can see possible analogs for Hephasteus (the engineer), Ares (the Dean Stockwell character), Hades (Tigh) who's in love with Six(?- the sexy blonde), who would then be Persephone.

The fact that other characters on the shown might be bearing the same names as gods who they *aren't* similar to, makes this a somewhat complex exercise. For instance, Apollo wouldn't be an analog to the god, Apollo- but the tall, handsome guy who's one of the Final Five would be.

Who's Athena? Dionysious? Aphropdite? Zeus? Hermes? Hera? Artemis?
Posted By: THE LABRADORIAN Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 06/15/08 09:31 PM
we have athena and hera, right?
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 06/16/08 03:50 AM
Athena is Sharon's call sign, and Hera is Sharon's and Helo's daughter. I found it odd that the mother has a daughter's name and the child has a mother's name in Greek mythology. I wonder how important that is?
Posted By: lancesrealm Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 07/03/08 06:34 AM
Anybody know when this returns?
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 07/03/08 06:46 AM
Sadly, apparently not 'til 2009. frown
Posted By: lancesrealm Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 07/04/08 12:52 PM
2009? What is this - a way to get a 4-year series to last 8 years?
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 07/05/08 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Lance's realm:
2009? What is this - a way to get a 4-year series to last 8 years?
Yeah, apparently. shake

Really shitty, especially when you know they've already wrapped up production on all the remaining episodes! I mean, damn, why not air them this fall during sweeps? mad
Posted By: Kid Prime Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 07/05/08 06:19 AM
[b]2009? What is this - a way to get a 4-year series to last 8 years?
Yeah, apparently. shake

Really shitty, especially when you know they've already wrapped up production on all the remaining episodes! I mean, damn, why not air them this fall during sweeps? mad [/b]
DVD sales.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 07/05/08 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Kid Prime:
[b]
[b]2009? What is this - a way to get a 4-year series to last 8 years?
Yeah, apparently. shake

Really shitty, especially when you know they've already wrapped up production on all the remaining episodes! I mean, damn, why not air them this fall during sweeps? mad [/b]
DVD sales.[/b]
Yeah, that occurred to me as well. They split Season 2 sets into 2.0 and 2.5, and each costs about the same as a FULL SEASON!!! mad I didn't get those for a long time...until I found a decent deal on eBay.

So I'm sure gouging on DVDs is part of the plan for Sci-Fi, but milking what is unquestionably their best show for all it's worth is obviously the larger motivation.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 07/07/08 05:57 PM
I plan on renting all the seasons and watching them in order before the final half-season... but I'm not looking to buy just yet, as I'll probably be moving around a bit for a few years and need to downsize anyway.
Posted By: matlock Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 12/05/08 03:13 PM
Ok, so we're nearing the the end now; season 4.5 premieres in a little more than a month. In the meanwhile we're getting a little new material soon in the form of some webisodes, starting on 12/12/08 (and supposedly featuring Lt. Gaeta, one of my favorite 2nd tier characters.) New promos are popping up, which I'm actually avoiding since Sci-Fi tends to give a way a little bit too much for my tastes. And Sci-Fi announced that they are going ahead with the prequel series "Caprica" featuring the earlier generation of the Adama family.

But if you are really getting antsy like me, check this out: a downloadable pdf of the catalogue for the auction of BSG wardrobe, production art, set decorations and yes, a full scale Viper, Raptor and Cylon Raider!

http://www.battlestarprops.com/battlestar-galactica-auction-catalog-available-for-download/

Be warned - a few spoilers can be found in the text, but nothing extreme. Personally, I don't know what would be more awesome, the large painting from Admiral Adama's quarters or a pack of Doc Cottle's smokes. This catalogue gives a great peek at all the work that went into making this show look so real on the screen (even when the stories have gone a bit off course.)

On to 4.5!
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 01/16/09 08:46 PM
Set Condition One throughout the Fleet! BSG Starts up again tonight (In Canada anyway, don't know about the rest of you).
Posted By: doublechinner Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 01/17/09 04:50 AM
Well, that was an amazing 1 hr 4 min of TV. This show never fails to surprise, but as much by its characters as its plot twists. One thing I don't buy, though:

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">The inhabitants of Earth being Cylons</span></span>

What I don't buy is that those <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Cylons</span></span> are us, present-day Earthers. The timeline stated in the show doesn't work out. If Kobol was evacuated 3,600 years previously and the 12 colonies founded and Earth populated the 13th tribe of <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Cylons</span></span>, who are then nuked 2,000 years prior to Galactica's time, that means the 13th tribe populates Earth 400 CE or later. Doesn't work for the long record of sapient habitation on Earth prior to 400 CE. Until the show proves me wrong, I continue to believe that humanity's path goes 1) Earth -> 2) Kobol -> 3) 12 Colonies and Earth. I think the <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Cylons</span></span> found nuked on Earth emulated the society their builders/ancestors had left.

And while the developments with Kara were pretty much what I expected somehow, it didn't detract one iota from the creepiness. Speaking of which, the whole look of Earth is an amazing piece of location selection, cinematography and color manipulation. It's powerfully effective.

But I've spent too much time dwelling on the plot and mythology (which IS really fun), to the detriment of the character work, which is as good any the show has delivered. Adama, Tigh, Dee (poor Dee!), Lee. My gods, Tigh and Adama are a pair. My favorite scene was the final one, Tigh wading into the water, seeing if he was ready to give up, and instead he receives a baptism of fire and revelation that tells us the identity of the 5th Cylon and gives him a glimpse of his "last life" on Earth. What a piece of work!
Posted By: THE LABRADORIAN Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 01/17/09 04:51 AM
Great episode!!
I didnt like who was revealed to be the fifth
and I love who the 13th tribe was!!
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 01/17/09 06:52 PM
As mind-blowing as the revelations were in the first ep, I wouldn't take them all at face value just yet. I feel like we're just scratching the surface of what's really going on.

Dee's scene definitely posessed the most shock value for me. And Starbuck's discovery was creepy as all get out - nicely played. She finally found a way to get Leoben to leave her alone at least wink

Did anyone else watch the webisodes? I wonder where all that will lead with Geyda's upcoming actions.
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 01/18/09 01:51 AM
: (

watching it now....

bleh! so much despair and melodrama...blah blah.

i feel like it's just written for effect now, writing masturbation, some thing's don't even make sense.....looks like it's going the way of lost.

who cares about every one's deep dark doubts!!

they found a big blue planet, which was nuked 1000 years ago!! remediation anyone? chernobyl is already inhabitable!!! are they looking for club med?

and they got a new truce with the cyclons!

set up shop whiners or find a better planet. and get to breading...that would solve the population problem and everyone's depression!! or go back to caprica. the resistance were not suffering from radiation poisoning.

and i don't even like dee. and i'm still confused about the fifth......and i really didn't like seeing the president's "soft side". she's been my favorite from the start.

grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

but it looks like they put all the superstition and metaphysical "god" weirdness to rest.
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 01/18/09 01:52 AM
hey does anyone know if 20,000 is enough to create a viable population? methinks so...with some organization.
Posted By: Set Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 01/18/09 07:16 PM
20,000 should be plenty. If they were down to a dozen or so, genetics would become an issue, but they seem to have plenty. They do need to, in the words of Roslin from season one, 'start making babies.' The only two infants in the fleet are half-cylon, and the only people having regular sex are either cylons, or part of Baltar's Bimbo Emporium, Sex Cult and Traveling Circus (and given how many dozens of people he's shacked up with, he seems to be shooting blanks, if ya know what I mean).
Posted By: armsfalloffboy Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 01/20/09 10:00 PM
There is a minimum number to be considered genetically viable. I'm not smart enough to know what the number is, but 20,000 should be plenty.

DEE! WTF! It's not terribly often my jaw literally drops. Completely unexpected. I really want an explanation. I don't think for a minute that she would do that just because of the Earth discovery.

I'm not sure about the fifth Cylon. It seems like it might actually be a case of wish fulfillment for Tigh. The death and rebirth of Starbuck seem to indicate that she is the fifth Cylon, but again, I'm not sure I'm buying easy explanations at this point.

There are certainly more babies than the half Cylon babies. We just haven't seen much of them.

Chernobyl is not habitable.

Roslin isn't exactly hugs and kisses anymore, is she? It's too bad we're not going to get a picture of a BSG Obama presidency...Kinda funny that the definitive picture of America in the Oughts is fading to black just as the government that inspired so many of the plotlines is mercifully going away....
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 01/21/09 08:43 AM
Originally posted by armsfalloffboy:
DEE! WTF! It's not terribly often my jaw literally drops. Completely unexpected. I really want an explanation. I don't think for a minute that she would do that just because of the Earth discovery.
As I recall, Dee was from one of the more religiously devout colonies; so this discovery would have shaken everything she believed in very much. Couple that with the failure of her and Lee's relationship, and I can see she may have felt she had nothing left to live for. Faith, Hope & Love--all gone.

Yes, you can argue that things were looking up with Lee, but deep down, she knew she was Lee's second choice. She chose to end it on her terms after having a nice night out.

So, yeah, I can see it. As much as we get to know characters, there's a whole lot that's left to the imagination. We saw other characters struggling with the same choice. Dee was the one who went through with it.

Nonetheless, it was shocking and damned heartbreaking. Just another reason I love this show and will miss it when it's done.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 01/22/09 07:32 PM
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
As mind-blowing as the revelations were in the first ep, I wouldn't take them all at face value just yet. I feel like we're just scratching the surface of what's really going on.

Dee's scene definitely posessed the most shock value for me. And Starbuck's discovery was creepy as all get out - nicely played. She finally found a way to get Leoben to leave her alone at least wink

Did anyone else watch the webisodes? I wonder where all that will lead with Geyda's upcoming actions.
I'm watching the webisodes right now, actually.

Agreed about the 'scratching the surface.'

I still thikn there have been enough signs hinting of the 'City of Lights' and the Orig-Series faux-Earth with its own Cold War. The dead Kara suggests to me that there were Earth survivors who ascended into non-corporeal life, and Kara's forgotten journey mirrors theirs.

Dee was a shocker, but on re-watching it, all of Dee's scenes lead into it with amazing precision and craft. Good point, Lardy, about Dee's religion. It does meake sense, sadly. They did it well.

20K is enough, from what I've read. A near-ELE once reduced global human levels to 5-20K a long long time ago.
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 01/22/09 07:43 PM
Don't know how many of you are Canadian, but Space (The Network BSG plays on here), ran an... interesting choice for the commercial island after Dee's suicide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW2_2ihIuzI
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 01/22/09 08:06 PM
LOL!

both the song and imagery!

I am glad I did not see that with the ep, and that I did see it with warning.
Posted By: THE LABRADORIAN Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 01/22/09 08:27 PM
bah
thats funny, its only a tv show.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 01/22/09 08:35 PM
lol That was pretty funny!

The episode itself was great, though. I'm glad they went to a dark place after all their hopes and dreams were dashed. I never expected it, but it made a lot of sense.

As for Ellen, it works. I mean, it explains why she didn't appear with the other four. And, somehow, it would've really hurt the show to make it Adama or Roslin. I think the remaining episodes will pay it off in ways we can barely guess.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 01/22/09 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
I still thikn there have been enough signs hinting of the 'City of Lights' and the Orig-Series faux-Earth with its own Cold War. The dead Kara suggests to me that there were Earth survivors who ascended into non-corporeal life, and Kara's forgotten journey mirrors theirs.
My memories of the Original Series aren't perfect, but "faux-Earth"? I remember them discovering Korbal and a planet called Terra with some friendlies on it, but not a fake Earth. Refresh?
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 01/22/09 09:25 PM
Terra may have been it.

what I meant by "faux" was that it was a 2-parter introing the City of Lights angelic types, Starebuck's viper and uniform go all white, and the planet mistaken for earth was on the verge of an East-West nuke war of some sort. At the end, the angelic beings tell them it isn't eart, and the fleet goes merrily on its way, presumably leaving the Terrans as fodder for the Cylon fleet pursuing them.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 01/22/09 09:44 PM
Okay, here is a summary of the episode I think you are referring to. It certainly could be an explanation for this ruined Earth they found. Frankly, I'm hoping for another, more unexpected resolution.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 01/23/09 05:28 PM
I'm sure they have something unexpected in mind, but I still think this will all tie into the Terra/Ship of Lights (not City of Lights. my bad), just as other key elements of the series have touched upon orig-series elements: the visit to Korbol, the Pegasus, human-looking Cylons (from G:1980), for instance.

We have the white viper, the harmonic song, and at the tail end of one ep, something resembling the Ship of Lights seemed to be following them.

Kara's visit to Earth (and her presumed death) was clearly not just a simple case of amnesia, nor her sense of when the fleet was moving in the wrong direction. The changes made to the white viper likewise suggest something guiding them to this Earth yet remaining out of sight. In TOS, we as viewers saw John, but this time around his equivalent remains deliberately out of sight from both Kara and us.

My predictions:

1. Earthers/Terrans did survive in an ascended form, a nearby colony, or some other alt-form of existence.
2. Alternately, this Earth is a red herring placed where star patterns now align; the real Earth and its solar system have since revolved away and still exist under different star patterns than were recorded on Korbol. Rather than being ascended, the Ship of Lights/man-behind-the-curtain merely have a higher form of tech to remain unseen.

But that five were reincarnated still defies my guesswork. There are too many possibilities, and I'll wait for more clues before hypothesizing.
Posted By: Set Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 01/24/09 03:19 AM
There was a scandalous rumor that Dirk Benedict would show up in the final episode as 'the One' that the Cylons worship, complete with the 'Ship of Lights.'

But I think it's been debunked, and, frankly, I wouldn't want to see that storyline touched if Count Iblis wasn't involved. 'Cause he was cool!
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 01/25/09 02:17 AM
hmmm. just watched "a disquiet follows my soul"

gaida is a dumb**S

and i can't wait for roslin to stop being such a quitter and throw zerak out an airlock. and why are these quorum fools such sheep.

im glad at least starbuck still has her stones.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 01/26/09 05:14 PM
Did anyone else watch the webisodes? I wonder where all that will lead with Geyda's upcoming actions.[/QB]
I think this ep began to answer that Q.

And of course his and even Tom Zarek's frustrations do make sense. No matter how practical an alliance with the rebel Cylons may be, there are still the same beings who committed genocide.
Posted By: matlock Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 01/31/09 04:19 AM
This week's ep. was pretty tense. Gaeta's attempt to relieve the Admiral is having mixed results. I was a bit sad to see some of the other 2nd tier characters going along, seemingly just to put some "faces" to the mutineers especially Racetrack, Skulls and Seelix. I suppose it's not looking well for them when this all ends. I hope the show doesn't spiral down into a few gratuitous deaths every week just because it's ending. We lost poor ol' Chief Laird this week. Hopefully Conners and Gage will get it though. I can't believe Adama would even give Cain's pet torturer/rapist Gage a uniform and permanent latrine duty. Well, onward and downward. At least Starbuck was enjoying herself.
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/05/09 12:07 AM
this weeks episode was awesome!! i cheered. and i watched it by myself!! but ditto on gage.

i saw anders at target today!
Posted By: matlock Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/05/09 01:08 AM
I didn't realize, but both the guys that tried to beat up Helo and Chief were in the mutineers, Gage and Vereen (or something like that) and apparently Captain Kelly, who was last seen being led off after trying to assasinate Romo Lampkin during Baltar's trial. Kelly first appeared in the miniseries as the Landing Signal Officer, which put him pretty high in the org chart. Gaeta and Kelly were among the first characters in the mini to appear with the Admiral, both telling him what an honor it had been to serve with him...

Looking at comments around the net, I'm sort of surprised by how hateful people are towards Gaeta.
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/05/09 08:44 PM
i hate gaeta. he seems like a lot of people you meet in real life, spineless powerhungry sycophants with enormous egos....

i'm worried for athena. (i think boomer didn't have a baby) and six.

it's a bit vague as too whether the skin jobs have super strength or not. sometimes they seem to and other times not.
Posted By: matlock Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/05/09 09:44 PM
I see Gaeta much differently, more that he's sort of a chronic hero-worshipper and a bit of an idealist who's finally come down to earth hard (literally and figuratively.) He's sort of an overly earnest outsider that wanted to sit at the cool kids' table and got rejected and now that he's boiled over he's lashing out stupidly and making bad decisions. He's saved the Galactica at least once (when he networked the computers) and was the mole for the resistance.

Well, actually I think we agree on certain points, DB. He did get his ego bruised, but that's compounded by the fact that whenever he's raised valid points he gets shut down by the hierarchy. Just because Adama and Tigh are BFF's doesn't mean the rest of the fleet, most of whose families and homes were destroyed by the Cylons, are going to want to have anything to do with them. Adama's just steamrolling ahead, and Roslin was just totally checked out.

I actually thought it would have been kind of a cool twist if Athena had gone in with the mutineers. It's not really in character, but it would have been a little meatier if someone besides Gaeta and a bunch of 2nd and 3rd stringers and it's not like Athena is up for Cylon Employee of the Month. It would have meant not using the Yeehaw Boys though (Ron Moore's nickname for Gage and Vireem which sums them up nicely.)
Posted By: matlock Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/07/09 04:23 AM
What a huge letdown. This episode was disappointing to me on so many levels.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Why the heck would two Marines assasinate the entire Quorum on Zarek's say-so? Zarek went from shady political operator to bone-headed villain in two quick episodes. Gaeta folding under pressure seemed to stem less from his character than from story mechanics. Clearly the Admiral was going to come out on top, even though it was through mostly swagger and brute force than persuading anyone that his was the correct path. It was also pretty convienient that despite sporadic firefights throughout the ship, Gaeta and Zarek didn't have guards outside CIC. And WTF happened with Starbuck, Anders and Lampkin? They just totally dropped that thread mid episode! I'm also disappointed that they took the obvious path of executing Gaeta. I really thought the Admiral might have understood that he bore some responsibility for the situation, especially after Narcho threw a little cold water in his face. This episode had about two enjoyable moments: Lee faking out Starbuck with the grenade, and Tyrol and Kelly's moment of lucidity in the weapons locker. This was a story that should have been spread out over at least another episode or two, or better yet have been done somewhat earlier in the series when they didn't have to squeeze "the mutiny story" in at the last minute just because they always thought about doing one (which was mentioned in some of the interviews after last weeks episode.) I wonder if we'll even get any followup next week concerning the other mutineers like Racetrack or if it'll be willy-nilly on to the next thing. Unfortunately I was too stunned to skip the preview for next week, which was basically a giant spoiler. Thanks Sci-Fi!!!</span></span>

Sorry for the longish rant but I expected better and wasn't in a great mood to begin with...
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/07/09 04:31 AM
can't wait to see it. ha!! i hope six gets to snap someone's neck tho...
Posted By: THE LABRADORIAN Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/07/09 04:49 AM
matlock
sorry u didnt enjoy the episode, but i dont see the problem with Gaeta folding under pressure, the representitives of the 12 colonies has been killed by the VP and Gaeta is next if he wants to back down. Admiral doesnt have to take responsibility for a bad judgement call by Gaeta that resulted in a coup and deaths of many innocents. And yes they dropped the story of anders and starbuck with lawyer, but in Canada if you saw preview for next weeks show
warning spoinler for next week....

Anders lives and tells starbuck to get the rest(?) he has remembered everything including why they are on earth.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/07/09 04:55 AM
I enjoyed it and found it very taut. This story needed to happen particularly to pay off Zarek's story, and to show there would be considerable resistance to cooperating with the Cylons. I'm glad it was wrapped up this episode, so that we can get down to the end game. I think next episode is us getting there.

By the way, does anyone know if D'Anna went ahead and stayed on Earth? I expected to see her aboard the base ship, actually. Does anyone know for sure that Lucy Lawless will appear in the remaining episodes?
Posted By: matlock Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/07/09 04:58 AM
Huh, the Sci-Fi preview was totally Ellen-centric.

As an aside, I listened to Jane Espensen's commentary track to the Gaeta webisodes and she mentioned that if the actor that played Narcho had been available he'd have been Gaeta's squeeze and they wouldn't have broken up at the end of them. I can see how that would have slotted in to tonight's episode since the webisodes had to work around the mutiny episodes which were already written. Instead Gaeta had to dump Hoshi to account for Hoshi being led off halfway thru last weeks episode.
Posted By: matlock Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/07/09 05:01 AM
Originally posted by LardLad:
By the way, does anyone know if D'Anna went ahead and stayed on Earth? I expected to see her aboard the base ship, actually. Does anyone know for sure that Lucy Lawless will appear in the remaining episodes?
Unless they're saving it for a big surprise all indications are that D'Anna stayed on Earth. It was in an interview with Ron Moore I think and he said that essentially she was tired of running and they thought it was a suitable ending for her.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/07/09 05:06 AM
I'd be surprised if we've actually seen the last of her, despite that. With Ellen coming back, it would seem wrong for her not to be involved at all given D'Anna's reverance of the Final Five.
Posted By: matlock Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/07/09 05:24 AM
Yeah, but given that this is the season of everybody dies, I'm not expecting it.

Maureen Ryan from the Chicago Tribune has posted a post-episode interview with writer Michael Angeli here:

Spoiler filled interview ahoy

I was right about one thing: the episode had to be trimmed way down. I guess they had to make time for the endless sequences of Tyrol crawling down tunnels.
Posted By: THE LABRADORIAN Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/07/09 05:25 AM
Originally posted by matlock:
Huh, the Sci-Fi preview was totally Ellen-centric.
I'm sure it was, but i said IN CANADA, we have SPACE and it showed a more detailed (imo) preview, more of everything and not just ellen.
Posted By: doublechinner Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/07/09 06:03 PM
To me, Zarek's always been ambiguous. Was he really a terrorist, or a freedom fighter. The last 2 episodes, we found out. I'm not disappointed; in fact, I'm delighted, because his poor choices highlight again how easy it would be for Adama and Roslyn to have followed a similar path. They haven't, and that's what makes them heroes.

Poor Gaeta. I was crying in the last scene with him hanging out with Baltar. I've never thought much about Felix, but it's clear from that final scene that he's always been the hero in his own mind, but his reality could never match up. He's always stepped up to do the right thing at the wrong moment. He never realized the satisfaction from supporting the hero, and wanted the story to be about him instead. It's the kind of realization that most of us have to go through at least once, and it's really tough -- that you aren't the best at something, and won't be, and your childhood aspirations won't become reality. And the fact that it was Baltar there, at the end, to comfort him. Wow. Baltar may turn out to be the hero of BSG--the man who almost gets humanity destroyed, but redeems it in the end.
Posted By: matlock Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/07/09 06:52 PM
Even after a 2nd viewing I'm still just not happy with this. It seems like fans are giving Roslin free pass just because she yelled a lot and intimidated the Cylon rebels with her crazy antics. Frankly, Adama's objections or not, Zarek should have been made President (or at least acting President) well before the mutiny happened. She essentially vacated her post and left a power vacuum so she could nest with the Old Man. And Adama, after a poorly executed attempt at suicide by XO, decides the best course of action is a further embrace of the butchers of mankind. Essentially this is another in a long string of incidents of the kind that Lee Adama pointed out in his defense of Baltar.

I'm not defending the mutiny per se, because at this point everyone in the fleet needs to realize that each human life is valuable above and beyond all other concerns. Gaeta and the rest should have refused to do their duties in protest. I think Narcho made the point the best, the Cylons are the enemy and if it were me I'd never trust them as a group. I suppose it's all well and good that Kelly was able to see Tyrol as the man he used to serve with, but the Sixes, Eights and the Leobens (can't remember his number?) I wouldn't trust them any more than Cavil and his side.

I guess I'll have to see how things play out next week. I just want to see some kind of fallout from this, not only go into more Cylon mythology.
Posted By: THE LABRADORIAN Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/09/09 08:53 PM
the show ends in like 6 episondes, why have fallout after fallout and why dwell on that. End the show, tie up the loose ends, and sure more CYLON mythology, why not?
Posted By: matlock Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/09/09 09:02 PM
Eh, I just think they may as well have not bothered with it. It was a heavy story to have to be rushed through and probably not followed up on.

Anyway, I saw that Canadian promo. I've done a lot of things over the years that have put me in the doghouse with my wife, but I think Tigh's really going to have some 'splaining to do.
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/09/09 09:15 PM
well, matlock i agree with you on most things ...but i loved the episode!

i'm glad zarek was actually turned into a villain...i was over the devils advocate thing. i was ready for them to go one way or the other. i'm even glad they wiped out the sheep that are the quorum.

i'm so over gaeta too. "i just want people to know me" what a crazy ego trip he was on!?! in the first few episodes of the series i thought we'd see the kid who calculated jump coordinates in his head to save humanity turn into a self assured stalwart. yet, hes gone crazy bouncing from cause to cause...in the hopes of being somebody big.

the writers went alot with "black and white" "good and evil" writing but after the past like 2 seasons of character development i loved the action! and it seems like they just need to wrap things the frakk up.

the president had some great speeches from the kick butt "i'm coming for all of you" to my favorite when she convinced the cylons to aid her "who do you want to be"

i was really hoping for and think the episode needed a "peace with the cylons is our only hope for survival" speech but we didn't get it...

and this coup has been caused by flaky leadership and non inclusion or explanation of decisions.

hmm i almost feel like this is the final episode because for a long time this show has been about infighting. so wrapping up the in fighting is the end....

but i wonder what's next, since this show has never been about scientific solutions to their problems. its led by action characters, that i love but...are they just going to wander the galxy willy nilly until they find a perfect planet or are they going to create something. or wait for some cylon messiah to open up his arms and carry them off to paradise. ha!

anyways, i think baltar's character still needs to be punished for all his deviousness and yes, destroying civilization. hes gotten off pretty easy so far.

and i want to see six snap some peoples necks.
Posted By: THE LABRADORIAN Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/10/09 01:18 AM
I just want to know what Baltar is, i mean i find it hard to believe he survived a nuclear explosion aftershock by hiding behind 6, that needs to be addressed.
Posted By: matlock Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/10/09 01:41 AM
It was a little odd looking, especially since the next time we saw him he was running through a field with a lot of other refugees. But I don't think there's much there although I wonder if they're planning on any clarification about his imaginary Six. Or Caprica Six's imaginary Baltar.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/10/09 03:14 AM
I kept waiting for imaginary Six to pop up during the scene where the other Six was hitting on Baltar. Was there an episode from the first half of Season Four where she "left" Baltar? I remember her watching him preach but can't recall if they "split".
Posted By: matlock Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/14/09 04:17 AM
Well, tonight's episode was pretty much talking heads throughout but I'm glad. The post-Earth arc that culminated last week left me worn out. Tonight was all big chunks of mythology with a few tidbits of plot on the side. I wouldn't have picked Anders to become Captain Exposition but they set it up well.

I'm not going to go through all the BIG spoilery stuff yet but I will mention that after you watch it if you are wondering about all the other mutineers it seems that there weren't any other executions/reprisals per Ron Moore's commentary on "Blood On The Scales." Essentially what he said was that Galactica couldn't function without reintegrating the mutineers. I don't think this will be explicitly shown though.
Posted By: THE LABRADORIAN Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/14/09 04:59 AM
i say daniel is reborn as the child of tigh and 6
Posted By: matlock Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/14/09 03:15 PM
My guess is that a Daniel might have been Starbuck's father. Daniel was supposed to have been artistic, and Starbuck's father is known to have been a musician. I guess it depends on how much time it took for the 5 to develop skinjobs 2.0, and whether they infiltrated the 12 Colonies far enough back for a Daniel to have been the father before the Cavil's killed them. It would go a way towards explaining her "special destiny" and maybe provide a clue about her own resurrection.
Posted By: THE LABRADORIAN Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/14/09 04:01 PM
but if she if she half cylon, is their ressurrection for hybrids?
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/16/09 03:36 PM
So if Cavil was aware of the identities of the Final Five this whole time, that adds a whole other level of complexity to the mind games he played with Tyrol when he was "Counseling" him after hsi breakdown.
Posted By: matlock Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/16/09 03:47 PM
I loved Dean Stockwell in that episode! I am not sure that I want John/Cavil to turn out to be behind most of the Cylon plotting, but he sure can pull it off. It seems like the Five must have given him special access to the inner workings of Cylon programming. Not only did he manipulate the Five, but managed to supress the knowledge of the Five in the other Six surviving models. What a naughty boy.
Posted By: doublechinner Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/18/09 10:34 PM
Rouge -- not to mention having relations with Ellen and torturing Tigh on New Caprica! That John is baaaaddd!
Posted By: Candlelight Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/23/09 11:18 PM
So, I fell asleep before Battlestar and woke up as Tigh was crying on Adama and said 'His name was . . . .'
Then 6 put up a picture on a wall.

What happened?

Did the baby die?
Anders was just lying on a bed.
Did he die?

Is that nurse killing them?

Where's Ellen?
Where's that John/Cavil guy?

I'm so upset with myself!
Posted By: THE LABRADORIAN Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/24/09 03:42 AM
Baby Liam died
Anders has brain activity
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/25/09 08:43 PM
Was it just me, or did I miss something? How do you make the leap in logic from "Humans will have a hard time accepting a blended fleet while they're starving" to "Let's arm Baltar's cult to the teeth!"

confused
Posted By: Suddenly Seymour Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/26/09 01:21 PM
Yeah, definitely questioning that decision.

On a lighter note, we're thinking of having some friends over for the finale (sorry we can't fit Legion World in our living room), and I'm trying to come up with a themed menu. So far, all I've got are Frakfurters, Pad Tighe and Starbucks coffee (or just something from there).

Any other punny suggestions?
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 02/28/09 01:06 PM
Great episode.

So presumably Starbuck's father was Daniel, so she's a hybrid. The question is, where the heck did she resurrect after she crashed on Earth and where did her Viper come from?

I dig evil Boomer. Well played on her part. I want an Athena-Boomer throw down new, no matter how hard it will be effects wise.
Posted By: THE LABRADORIAN Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 03/01/09 05:56 AM
i was kinda bored withe the episode
Posted By: Candlelight Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 03/05/09 01:04 AM
I'm sorry.

I've tried with Battlestar.

I got put off by the constant referals to God and stuff in the beginning.
Then, there was the hopelessness.

I tried again when I realized Lucy Lawless was in the series.
But Galactica's still confusing, overwrought and rather pointless, to me.

So far, the only thing that's made any sense or 'completion' to me, has been John's anger at Ellen for designing him to have such limited human eyes, when he could have 'seen' so much more.

I've never been into tragedies very much, I guess. (Someone here said that EVERYONE was going to die.)
But they all seem kind of dead already, including Starbuck.
frown
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 03/05/09 01:38 AM
hmmm. i liked the episode.....and evil boomer. i think they are wrapping things up while keeping up the action....but everyone is kinda dead...there is no joy lately in the characters. which is understandable but still...kinda depressing...
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 03/05/09 02:18 PM
I think it's an "Always Darkest before the Dawn" kind of thing. Although it's pretty obvious now that Galactica herself won't survive the last episode, I expect when they get Hera back, she'll lead them to a new promised land.
Posted By: THE LABRADORIAN Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 03/10/09 07:28 PM
well i guess no one is impressed with how its unfolding, we're on the last 2 episodes. Though the last episode was kinda dull, some parts were interesting, but not enough for me to say wow that show rocked.
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 03/10/09 08:01 PM
Originally posted by THE LABRADORIAN:
well i guess no one is impressed with how its unfolding, we're on the last 2 episodes. Though the last episode was kinda dull, some parts were interesting, but not enough for me to say wow that show rocked.
The last episode was definitely all set-up (and depressing set-up at that). It's going to take a pretty big finale to turn it all around.
Posted By: THE LABRADORIAN Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 03/10/09 10:04 PM
i guess thats why the finale is called
Daybreak
Posted By: THE LABRADORIAN Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 03/14/09 11:19 AM
i enjoyed last nights episode even though there wasnt really what i would say a lot going on. Even if the final episodes werent what everyone was thinking, i still think its a fantastic story and this is probably the best way a story could end. Not the way the fans want it to end but how it should end.
I thought Baltar was going to join the search for hera, who knows he still may.
Posted By: doublechinner Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 03/14/09 02:24 PM
What got me were the opening moments -- the galaxy, the blindingly beautiful Caprica from space, before the fall. Those scenes had a visual, non-verbal impact like the best moments from 2001. Mary McDonnel's acting, and the Roslyn character, are just extraordinary.
Posted By: superboymddjr Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 03/17/09 02:27 AM
http://www.toplessrobot.com/2009/03/tragically_the_scifi_channel_is_now_syfy.php

Syfy????????????? sounds like a virus to me! so Sci-Fi channel will change the name in July. geez. frown
Posted By: Director Lad Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 03/20/09 08:06 AM
I'm so excited for tomorrow night's finale that I can't contain myself. I'll be jumpy all day tomorrow.

The whole "SyFy" thing is ridiculous. If you read the press release announcing the change, it's obvious that some lawyer told them "if you change the name to something you can trademark, you can do licensing and merchandising!" Never mind that no-one with a brain (like, say, nerdy sci fi fans?) is going to fall for that trap.
Posted By: THE LABRADORIAN Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 03/21/09 03:22 AM
so the Starbuck that returned was an angel that what??? had to learn a song that would lead to anew home, but was taught to her as a child by who??? daniel??? never revealed, i enjoyed the finale but c'mon what the hell was the deal. Is it just me?
Posted By: doublechinner Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 03/21/09 03:58 AM
Well, the Starbuck thing was a bit of a mystery, still, wasn't it? I imagine we'll figure it out over the next hours, days and weeks. For myself, it's a bit of the 4th wall being broken, perhaps. By that I mean the divine interventions throughout the series and the finale, that "God" (who doesn't like that name) had a plan to keep life going, and Starbuck was part of it, conventionally alive or not. Beyond that, you got me, mate. It was beautiful, though, the whole damn thing. The finest scifi action sequences EVER, followed by something sincere and sweet and elegaic enough to make me weep. And, I think the 4th wall breach is really essential here, because Moore is too smart not to be aware of the factual impossibility of independent human evolution. SO, God (who hates that name) must be involved, SOMEHOW, for the remains of the humans and the Cylons to find their new and final home how they find it.
Posted By: doublechinner Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 03/21/09 05:13 AM
So, what qualities do we get from our Cylon heritage? I'm guessing it's a watered down version of their projection -- the ability to live almost fully in a reality of our mind. It's called delusion. Anyone got anything else?
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 03/21/09 03:13 PM
Originally posted by THE LABRADORIAN:
so the Starbuck that returned was an angel that what??? had to learn a song that would lead to anew home, but was taught to her as a child by who??? daniel??? never revealed, i enjoyed the finale but c'mon what the hell was the deal. Is it just me?
I think the implication is pretty strong that Daniel was her father, making her the first real union of Cylon and human. I like that they didn't spell it out or really explain her appearance or disappearance. Leaves some element of the "higher power" unexplained.
Posted By: THE LABRADORIAN Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 03/21/09 08:09 PM
to be honest, if they didnt actually say she was the daughter of daniel, i highly doubt she is his daughter. Maybe the implication is that it was the angel of her father i would guess. The show gave really no indicatation to me that starbuck was daniels daughter.
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 03/21/09 11:33 PM
I think the evidence strongly points to it. Daniel was the artistic one, and Kara's father plays piano (and is where Kara got her penchant for painting). The song is central to the Cylons make-up and he taught it to her as a child (well before the others "remembered it"). His disappearance seems to fall in line with Cavil poisoning the line. If he didn't know he couldn't resurrect he may have been a little too careless one day. There's too much there to imply he's Daniel, coupled with the lack of any other plausible explanation, I think it's the most likely case.
Posted By: THE LABRADORIAN Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 03/22/09 03:52 AM
werent the daniels models destroyed, its going on the assumption that one model survived, which at this point i dont believe.
and this is just me but, IMO the song is the signal that "God" has sent to lead them to their new home, Starbuck found earth but it was a wasteland, the song led them to new earth, no one was there before, neither cylon nor colonials, so i cant see how "Daniel"would have known the way there. But of course that leaves the question why would her father know the song?
Its all God.

[
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 03/22/09 04:31 AM
Actually, the creators say Daniel was never meant to be a part of Kara's story and that they've been surprised that he's been linked to being her pop. They say we're meant to draw our own conclusions about exactly what she is. Read the article here for their insights into that and other questions left unanswered.
Posted By: THE LABRADORIAN Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 03/22/09 04:44 AM
that was an interesting read.
Posted By: Candlelight Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 03/22/09 05:44 AM
There's a problem with bringing in a character like Daniel and then, doing nothing with him! It's a bit rediculus, I think, or a purposeful misdirection.
And for the writers to be surprised that people see a connection between Starbuck, the song and Daniel is a bit farfetched, too, I think, no matter what they're saying now.
sigh

Be that as it may, I thought many parts of the ending were beautiful.

Starbucks goodbye to Sam made me cry, as did his final, unheard words to her.

The presidents death and the admirals words on the cliff were also gorgeous as was all of that incredible scenery.

How Starbuck disappeared and her peace and smile at the end were wonderful.

Ummm, I do wish they'd given just a little more information on Baltasar and the cylon, though.
Was/is he one of the very 'angels' that he was wondering about?
Was he a more lasting version of Starbuck?
A hundred and fifty thousand years later, there they were/are, with the idea that sooner or later, repeating history with have enough of a change that the human-cylon conflict won't happen.
But, how do we learn from history if we can't remember it?

God is obviiously very much involved ~ I don't see how the Galactica humans could fit so closely, genetically, to the new planet and its life, without help on a pretty grand scale.
Heras cylon gene additions, especially.

Anyway, I thought it was a pretty good ending to a show that was undoubtedly groundbreaking, but perhaps, not so engaging.
Posted By: THE LABRADORIAN Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 03/22/09 12:19 PM
again i didnt like the lack of explanation for baltaar, so the only explanation is that God protected him. Baltaar and Caprica 6 were seeing "angels" or God;s little helpers, lol, whether they are tempting or helping.
Posted By: Mystery Lad Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 03/24/09 12:11 AM
The final episode was moving, but, y'know, I think the ending when they first discovered Earth had more of an impact.
Posted By: doublechinner Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 03/30/09 02:44 PM
I left on vacation the morning after the finale, and I've been processing it ever since. My initial reaction was an overwhelming feeling of renewal that has stuck with me for the 10 days since. The rescue of Hera was probably the best sci-fi action sequence filmed to date, and the second hour? It reminded me of how important, special rare our Earth is and our responsibility to not eff it up. It reminded me of humanity's ability to connect to it's past ("real" and "imagined") and to reach for the eternal, and the eternal's occasional appearance to meet us halfway. At first I was astounded by Starbuck's "ascension," but why not? It's worked for other important human stories. It's not really any more mysterious than the Monolith of 2001. And Baltar. What can you say about a a character who is both the destroyer and savior of humanity, spokesman for the transcendent power of god's love, and finally the first farmer on the new earth?
Posted By: armsfalloffboy Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 03/31/09 02:10 PM
I'm just simultaneously interested that my man Dylan was channeling a song that was millenia old when he wrote "All Along the Watchtower." Hmmm, with all the speculation why wasn't it "Daniel?" Too many chord changes...
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/01/09 04:32 AM
My theory/hope was that it would be revealed that Starbuck *was* Daniel resurrected - just in a female body. It would've been a great play on the fact that Starbuck was a man in the previous series.
Posted By: doublechinner Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/01/09 03:01 PM
I like that idea, Drake! It's funny how the whole "Daniel" thing was backstory for Cavil and a CYA for the writers for skipping Cylon #7, but it's achieved a life of its own among the fans. Shows how good the show is to inspire that much creativity.

As for "All Along the Watchtower", it hits at the central dilemma of the show:

"There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke
But you and I, we've been through that, and this is not our fate
So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late".

Namely, is humanity worthy of survival? Adama poses that question at the start. The answer to me seems "just barely" -- Galactica's humanity "survives" only in the genes passed on by Hera.

An AR thought I've had -- back in the Kobol episodes, the tomb of Athena contained the (2nd) Earth zodiacal constellations, which were also on the colonial flags. Now, there is probably NO way that the 1st, "real" earth could have had those same constellations unless it was REALLY close to our earth. So, I think the long-run "god/gods" plan was for humanity to end up on our earth.
Posted By: armsfalloffboy Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/01/09 03:34 PM
As always when I finish a movie or TV series or book, now I want to go back and rewatch the whole thing with the context of the ending. Maybe SciFi ("seefee" is how I read the new name) will rerun over the summer. SO not looking forward to the end of Lost--there's a lot of that show I don't want to rewatch!
Posted By: THE LABRADORIAN Re: Battlestar Galactica - Season 4 - 04/01/09 06:35 PM
See i like lost, and i watch the reruns the next week when they have the Pop Up Info along the bottom. But they havent been playing the Pop Up episodes the past 2 weeks
© Legion World