Legion World
Posted By: Crymsun Kid Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 04/21/10 07:18 PM
Check this out..!

http://www.comicvine.com/news/cartoon-network-announces-young-justice-firebreather-more/140957/

This looks great..!
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 04/21/10 07:30 PM
This does look very cool.

My daughter is going to absolutely love this, and so will I.
Wait. Aqualad is black? Why not make the new character, Artemis black? And why not Wonder Girl and/or Speedy?

And why not add Static or Empress (this is "Young Justice" after all)? Or have Aquagirl & Blue Beetle (they're Hispanic) if you want diversity?

The artwork looks more palatable to me than the Teen Titans series. That one is hard to watch for me.
My guess is that Wonder Girl is probably unavailable for legal reasons, and Artemis is a Wonder Girl stand in.

That gives them the sidekicks for all of the original JLA, except Green Lantern.
I don't understand why they didn't use the Arrowette name instead of Artemis. I agree with you Nightcrawler.. they should have used Static or Empress.

Hmm.. hope they use Fite n Maad in it. Maybe the Super-Cycle?
Posted By: Set Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 04/21/10 08:26 PM
I wonder if Artemis is supposed to be the same character as Arrowette? If so, I wholly support the change in name, 'cause Arrowette just never rolled off the tongue...

I guess if both Conner and Miss Martian are gonna be on the team, Wonder Girl (either version) would be overkill, having pretty much the same power set (flight, super-strong, tough).

I wonder if the new Aqualad is supposed to be an Atlantean or a Sub Diegan? Given Plato's stories, it would have made sense, way back in the day, if all of the Atlanteans had either Middle Eastern or African coloration, but that ship has long since sailed...

I grew to love the Teen Titans (I'm a total pushover for superhero stuff. I even liked Misfits of Science!), so I'm sure I'll learn to love this one.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 04/21/10 08:36 PM
I do believe that is either Cissie or Mia under the Artemis mask.

I'm glad Miss Martian is there. LOVE her.

I'm confounded as to why they chose to race-switch Aqualad instead of using Empress or Static or Joto or Mal or (insert already existing character here). Unless this may be a hint of things to come in the Aquaverse.
Empress. I liked that character very much.
Originally posted by Set:
I wonder if the new Aqualad is supposed to be an Atlantean or a Sub Diegan? Given Plato's stories, it would have made sense, way back in the day, if all of the Atlanteans had either Middle Eastern or African coloration, but that ship has long since sailed...
I don't think there's enough in Plato to base any racial profile of the Atlanteans, but I'd actually guess Celtic would make more sense than anything else, and that would fit fairly well with existing portrayals.

Has it ever been suggested that there is an historic animosity between the Atlanteans and the Amazons? That would kind of make sense, in that Poseidon was tradionally the patron of Atlantis, and Athena is one of the central goddesses for the Amazons.
Nice to see that the Brave and the Bold is returning. The Planetary Chance Machine might even bless us with a Legion guest-shot.
Maybe the creators got confused by Garth's status as a black lantern in BLACKEST NIGHT?

I wonder if Artemis will have an origin similar to Cassie's? Meaning, she's an American girl, not an Amazon? Maybe she'll have a brother named Apollo...

If they can get the humor from the original title into this, it'll be worth watching- for all that I think a black Aqualad is a bizarre choice and Artemis makes me inclined to roll my eyes. Are the rights around the Wonder characters that much of a labyrinth?
I LOVE YOUNG JUSTICE! i want this so much. i've know this have been in the works for a while. but i am assuming its not going to make me happy that way i wont be hurt if i don't like it. and pleasantly surprised if it rocks my socks

i don't care if they make people black. just as long as they are not just the token 'im just here to say damn, shit, that is wack.' stereotype

i cant believe they are going with the super boy in jeans look..i have such hated for that look i want to stab every one who thought a t-shirt and jean was the awe inspiring look to the sky see that a god damn teenager in freaking jeans to save the day and inspire the masses was the look the super boy needed. ALSO the can anyone not tell that Kon/conner is the same guy the god damn glass are not that creative of a cover when all you do is just take them off and change your shirt.
Looks like fun!!
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 04/23/10 11:55 AM
I gave up a long time ago hoping for direct adaptations of characters from comic to screen. I just take things for what they are and try my best to enjoy them.
The first two episodes were pretty good. Your basic setup story.

Aqualad is a subject of Orin, not his adopted kid.
Superboy is indeed a clone.
Robin is kind of a meld of Dick and Tim.
Miss Martian only showed up for about a minute, and the guys went gagga, guess she fills the Donna role.

the animation was great, good voices except for Robin, kinda thin, but then he's supposed to be more of a kid, so it fits.
Oh, and since this is an alternate earth, not earth one or the combined earth, they get to play around and have a free run, which works.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 11/27/10 05:21 PM
I DVRed it and will watch sometime today.
Saw the pilot this weekend, and it was a blast!!
Posted By: ActorLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 11/30/10 03:03 AM
Watched the premiere, thought while it was stunningly animated some of the voices could use a little work. Thought the plot was a little thin too but I think there's a lot of potential. Was really disappointed how Megan was just tacked on the end there, in fact I didn't even recall that she had even made an appearance as I kind of zoned out by it's conclusion.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 12/09/10 05:06 PM
I finally watched this, this morning!

I thought Speedy getting all pissed off and leaving like that was tres' lame. I mean, who does that? Whatevs, dude.

I really enjoyed Robin and Kid Flash, but found Aqualad about as exciting as plain oatmeal.

Miss Martian looked super-adorable in her brief appearance.

I enjoyed the Cadmus action.

I'll give it a B- It was a lot of set-up and that's fine for a first episode, the team was established and the action moved along; I think if they had left out Speedy alltogether it would have ranked a B+ for me.
Well it seems they are setting up future stories with the Speedy incident. I'm curious about where it's going.

I liked the interaction between the characters, but was disappointed that Aqualad was a little blah.

I liked Guardian and Dubbilex being a part of the Cadmus action. Miss Martian was adorable as always.

Overall, it was entertaining, and it's kinda cool that this is actually set in the DC Universe (Earth-16).

Two Thumbs up!
argh missed it twice already!!! grrr....grrr....
Its on youtube if you look for it. Eps 1 and 2.
Sorry guys, but I've been lacking any interest in this series since they announced it.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 12/12/10 12:05 AM
I'm curious why that is, Sarc. In this 'tooniverse' version we can be about 100% sure there will be no ridionkulous needless Titans (or 'Young Justice' if you will) deaths and that they will be treated with more respect than in the comics.

I figured that would interest you.
Because when they announced that the Aqualad in the show would be appearing in the comics, and the show hadn't even aired yet, it just felt like the only reason they bothered to introduce Jackson Hyde was just to hype the show. I don't prefer promotions like that.
From an interview (though I don't remember where I read it) Geoff Johns really liked the idea of the new Aqualad, so decided to bring him in to use in Brightest Day.

So.. I'm okay with that.
I quite liked the YOUNG JUSTICE premiere- though I hate that it's such a long wait till the next episode. Will casual TV viewers even remember they saw the premiere by then?

I like the new Aqualad pretty well (though an African-American aquatic hero who doesn't like swimming just boggles my mind...), but think killing Tempest to get him is just deplorable. That's in the comics only, as I think I've read that Garth's actually going to be a character in the cartoon.

The Speedy stuff actually seemed in character enough to me-- I'm more puzzled about why Donna Troy always gets bypassed in 'toon versions of the Teen Titans. Are there rights tied up in the old WW Lynda Carter TV show or something? I don't really get it.

For a few minutes there, I thought a Superboy/Aqualad love story was in the offing...
Posted By: Future Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 12/13/10 09:54 PM
On the pass on Donna Troy and Wonder Girl in general: Producer Greg Weisman said in interviews that the rights to Wonder Girl and other Wonder characters were tied up when they started working on the show. Back in September though Weisman posted that the legal stuff had been all cleared up so 'Wonder Girl' (they never said if it would be Cassie or Donna) would be free to appear in the future.

So that's good news! I'm just not sure which Wonder Girl I'd prefer to see. Donna for BFFery with Dick and Wally or Cassie for Conner? I'm a sucker for the original Titans more, but I also recognize the show is called "Young Justice" and some more characters from that title would be good for it.
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:

For a few minutes there, I thought a Superboy/Aqualad love story was in the offing...
They did have a moment there, didn't they.
Originally posted by rickshaw1:
Its on youtube if you look for it. Eps 1 and 2.
won't work for me because i need the close captioned in order to be able to understand what s going on there. No CC = I have to wait til on the TV. groan. two episodes already?!?
Originally posted by Crymsun Kid:
From an interview (though I don't remember where I read it) Geoff Johns really liked the idea of the new Aqualad, so decided to bring him in to use in Brightest Day.

So.. I'm okay with that.
I'm gonna try to make this sound as rational and intelligent as possible.

Let's examine the fact that, as I mentioned previously, around the same time they revealed the new Aqualad, they announced he was going to be in Brightest Day.

A: BD is currently DC's big banner/event series.

B: All information regarding the new Aqualad was released first in Brightest Day so if anyone was to understand what was going on with him they would have to read Brightest Day, or they would get so interested in him they would want to read Brightest Day.

Now let's compare the original Aqualad to the new Aqualad.

Garth: White, curly black hair, a red shirt and a scaly blue speedo. And he started out being afraid of fish.
[Linked Image]

Jackson:
[Linked Image]

So, yeah. It seems to me that DC would've been too embarrassed to include the original Garth as Aqualad in a starring rule, so they created a cooler, new version.

Let's also examine that Garth, as Tempest, was killed in Blackest Night. So why bother using a character who they just killed, knowing that any popularity would probably lead to an outcry of wanting him back. Why bother to all that trouble when they could just make a new Aqualad.

And to go for points they make him the minority character of the group, next to Miss Martian. I'm not trying to sound racist, far from it, I'm just making a point since there've been a lot of accusations of racial insensitivity with DC.
Posted By: ActorLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 01/07/11 10:39 PM
The 1st part reruns tonight & there's a game based on it on the CN website now.
So.. was anyone else disappointed the offical premiere episode was just a re-run?
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 01/08/11 04:30 PM
I watched the first part of "Independence Day" this morning, and I'm eagerly looking forward to the next episode. It wasn't perfect by any means, but the animation was excellent. I'll own up to getting more than a little excited when I saw the Hall of Justice. Aqualad seemed a little stiff, but I'm willing to go with the "fish out of water" angle for a while.
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 01/08/11 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
I'm gonna try to make this sound as rational and intelligent as possible.
Thank you for trying.
Did it work?
Miss Martian is voiced by the beautiful and super-intelligent Danika McKellar.

Here is hoping Miss Martian will be super-intelligent.
Crymsun, I was too. My kid and I sat down to watch it together and he was bummed out because it was a rerun. Next week will be to apparently.
Yep. It was. Oh well.. it's still a good show. Let's hope we get a new one next week!
It'll be about time, too. three months betweent he first and third eps. Not cool.
Posted By: ActorLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 01/22/11 12:15 AM
Reminder for everyone, a new episode airs tonight!
Watched it with Sam. He thought Mr. Twister was red tornado too, but I figured it was a second bot by Morrow. still, it was pretty fun. Miss Martian gives the team a way to travel with the ship thats like a takeoff of WW's invisible plane. He loved it.

I thought it was pretty good. But they need to back off the gravley voice for S-kid.
I had to take Bite Girl (my daughter) to meet her friends at the movies, so I missed it.

Yay for DVR's! I'll catch it later. smile
Posted By: ActorLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 01/22/11 10:16 AM
I missed the 1st five minutes but enjoyed this episode a lot better then the premiere. The main reason being Megan really adds a much needed presence to the team.
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 01/22/11 11:50 AM
Hit or miss for me... annoying that the guys were all kind of d*cks to Miss Martian, especially Superboy... plus they made Wally really one-note with his constant hitting on her and "Dude!" to Robin every time he c-blocked her...
Crymsun, if you have time warner cable, check out kids on demand.
I got to see it. I had it DVR'd. It was amusing, but Wally got on my nerves.. I don't understand why they all became jerks to M'gann when she screwed up..? Must be a teenage thing..
They're still kids, group herd mentality!
Here's a clip for the upcoming Young Justice episode on Comic Vine..

http://www.comicvine.com/news/young-justice-ep-4-drop-zone-clips-images/142758/
Posted By: ActorLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 01/26/11 06:16 AM
Interesting set of clips, I like the team's "Stealth" uniforms.
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 01/29/11 03:36 AM
So when do we see Artemis?
Well on the Cartoon Network site, they list the Feb 4th episode as "Schooled" and the Feb 11th episode is titled "Infiltrator".

Also the site doesn't show Artemis or give info about her, but she is still seen in the trailer and in the promo shots of the group.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 01/29/11 05:58 AM
I was kinda annoyed by the constant frontal attacks on Mr. Twister... HELLO KIDS, it has been shown 12 times already that this doesn't work!

Megan's sneak attack was well-handled (if overdue).

[conservative hat] Not sure how comfortable I am with Superboy and Miss Martian living in the HQ together considering this is angled at young'uns. [/conservative hat]
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 01/29/11 06:00 AM
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq:
Well on the Cartoon Network site, they list the Feb 4th episode as "Schooled" and the Feb 11th episode is titled "Infiltrator".

Also the site doesn't show Artemis or give info about her, but she is still seen in the trailer and in the promo shots of the group.
Artemis is also on the cover of the comic, which I saw today on Facebook.
She hasn't made it yet, according to last nights show. The show is pretty good. I know it was annoying with the full frontal attacks on Twister and he ones from last night... but remember, they're still just kids. Maturity comes with age and experience. Thats part of the journey of the show.
Watched Young Justice Episode 3 on Cartoon Network today.

Kind of a Marvel-y feel. Everybody's personal problems kind of getting in the way of the team.

Miss Martian is clearly the most powerful member of the team, even though they have tried to dial her powers back some.

Superboy bears a remarkable resemblance to the Hulk, at least powers/personality-wise.

Actually liked it OK. My son is visiting with his 10-year-old daughter, he liked it pretty well, too. She stayed upstairs with her Nintendo DSi playing Monster Rancher.

Saturday Morning Cartoons for Old Men.
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 01/30/11 02:56 PM
I liked the fourth episode... Wally is still really one-note ("Dude!"), but it was good to see some growth with Robin and Aqualad... I'm hoping Superboy starts to develop a personality...
Posted By: Set Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 01/30/11 03:09 PM
I've been catching it on youtube, since it's a pain to find it on other sites. Pretty cool so far.

The graphics (and the personalities) are taking less to get used to than the Teen Titans cartoon, although I'm still a bit put off by Robin's habit of laughing as he runs around in the shadows.

I found it interesting that Wally could readily identify the molecular structure of Venom and the Blockbuster formula, while Robin was still going 'what's this?' I remember Barry being a chemist / scientist sort, back in the day, but Wally never struck me as being into that. If so, that would be an interesting character development.

Miss Martians "Hello Megan!" exclamation really, really gets on my nerves.

Everyone was much nicer to her this ep, compared to ep 3, which is good. They were a bit over the top in the Twister ep, IMO.

And Superboy is indeed coming across as a bit of a chode. I get that they don't want to mix things up and this isn't the comic book Conner, but him already being the big bulky dude, and skipping right past skinny Cadmus-era Conner is a bit jarring to me. Still, I got used to goth Raven channeling darkforce, and even came to prefer her to the comic-book raven with her quiffily-defined 'empathy / teleportion / occasionally can fly and create illusions and mind control people / soul self that does random magical things / can heal, but only wounds that weren't important to the plot anyway' powers.

I'll probably get used to 'Conner Smash!' as well.
Miss Martians "Hello Megan!" exclamation really, really gets on my nerves.
Hey, that is one of her major super-abilities: Super-Epiphany! Almost as good as super-intelligence.
This thing seems like an epic fail to me, from what I've seen of it. Robin sounds like a giggly girl. Which would be FINE, by the way, if he were a girl. Kid Flash is a zero. All the characters are zeroes, really. There's no whimsy or fun, no sardonic, ironic or gallows humor. I think the Avengers cartoon has the same problems, but still manages to be more true to itself and its source material. My son watched the first 5 minutes of Friday night's episode, then decided to watch a Dr. Who rerun.
Posted By: ActorLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 02/05/11 03:47 AM
My brief thoughts on tonight's new ep:

Yay Black Canary!

Keen motorcycles & gear, I want!

Amazo and robot monkeys, alright!
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 02/05/11 04:12 AM
Just watched the 2 newest episodes.

Bratty, giggly Robin is NOT working for me.

Tight-assed, angry Superboy is NOT working for me.

I'm mega awesome and do nothing wrong Aqualad is NOT working for me, mainly because-- well, who TF are you anyway? Where's Garth?!?! Once I get over his not being the "real" Aqualad, I'm sure I will warm to him.

Miss Martian fawning over Superboy right to his face like Desperation Damsel is NOT working for me, but otherwise she's fine.

Horny, immature Kid Flash is working for me, I think it suits the character and his age.

Black Canary was magnificent!! Also enjoyed Amazo and liked how Superboy figured out how to beat him. I like that Superman has issues with Superboy.

So I'm not jumping for joy but I'm not taking it off my DVR list either.
I can't think of anything that's really jumping out about this series as awesome, and there's a quite of few kind of annoying things, but nothing devastatingly bad. More than anything, it's just kind of "meh".
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 02/05/11 12:19 PM
The Amazo episode has been my favorite episode so far... loved Black Canary... giggling Robin is still annoying but only one "Dude!" from Wally... thought the scene between Superman and Superboy was great, especially Superboy asking for help... actually found it quite touching... loved the "Kryptonians have hard heads" line... and a mysterious arrow...
You know the arrow is from artemis. As to the things that others are finding annoying, a little for me, but, I remember that they are supposed to be kids and kids act like that quite a bit. hotheaded, loveheaded, goofy, and lets face it, the "giggling" robin would really piss off me if I was doing dark deeds in dead of night and some twerp was laughing while taking out my henchmen with ease. I think it works well.
I actually liked this week's episode a little bit better... except for the horrible implausibility of the basic plot. Why exactly were the kids assigned to guard the scientist who holds the key to preventing the theft of massive tons of computer data? And why exactly didn't they just take her somewhere really secure, like wherever the Justice League is headquartered in this version?

I like Artemis quite a bit, however.
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 02/13/11 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
[QBWhy exactly were the kids assigned to guard the scientist who holds the key to preventing the theft of massive tons of computer data?[/QB]
I thought similarly about the last couple of episodes... the JLA must be stretched pretty thin to turn some of these missions over to "kids"...

The series is definitely improving with each episode... Artemis seems like a good addition... I hope Speedy/Red Arrow sticks around too...
Posted By: ActorLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 02/14/11 05:35 AM
Artemis didn't exactly wow me. I'd prefer Cassie, Donna, Greta, or Empress.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention the other goofy plot point, namely the telepathic link, which seemed to serve no purpose other than to create comedic tension. The flimsy excuse of "they might detect our comlinks" might have made sense, if it weren't for the fact that most of the telepathic exchanges depicted were between people standing right next to each other!
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 02/14/11 11:14 AM
Speedy got kinda badass overnight, didn't he? All mature and brooding and stuff. I like it but he now seems too old for his pals.

Lovely, Artemis used to be in cahoots with Cheshire and is hiding it. *yawn*

I still prefer Teen Titans and the LSH 'toon to Young Justice at this point.
So, I thought this week's episode was easily the best yet. Not because of Young Justice themselves, but because of Dr. Fate, who pretty much rocked.

I'm not sure I get the wisdom of removing the helmet of Nabu from the impenetrable tower and storing it in the Young Justice trophy room, however. I wonder if they're setting things up for an eventual "Kid Fate" to be added to the cast?
Posted By: ActorLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 02/19/11 07:17 AM
I agree this was the best ep so far. The one thing that bugged me was Klarion seemed too bratty even for a Witch-Boy.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 02/25/11 01:35 PM
I'll third it... this was the first episode I have thoroughly enjoyed, and like EDE it was because Dr. Fate kicked ass! LOVED him.

It does look like a 'Teen Fate' could be coming... now to figure out who a good candidate for that would be.

Was glad to NOT see gigglepuss Robin at all this episode, nice to see also that Aqualad is NOT perfect after all (Superboy took him out in practice drill).

Lastly, nice to see a somewhat mellower Superboy that has learned from Black Canary.

I almost let Miss Martian and Artemis' boy-talk get on my nerves but decided to give it a pass.

So 2 thumbs up for the Fate ep!
Well, Sam and I are enjoying watching it. Sam's five and he's having a blast. When I say it's time, that little bundle of energy carooms around the house til it starts. And anything that gets him to settle down for thirty minutes... aces in my book.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 02/26/11 07:45 AM
I love hearing that, Rick! No matter what any of us adults bitch and moan about, what really matters is that this 'toon strikes a chord with the younger folk, who will keep these characters alive after we have gone.

I smile thinking about the kids who learned about Bouncing Boy, Matter-Eater Lad and Infectious Lass (not to mention the whole LSH gang) while the LSH 'toon was on. Some of those folks will go on to be young adults who love those off the wall characters as much as I do!

I will watch this week's YJ soon, assuming it DVRed.
Hey, I just got Sam to watch the legion cartoons on youtube. I spent two days answering questions about the cartoon legion, and I've watched as much as he has. He's having a blast with it.

Haven't seen this weeks yet. We weren't home and I can't find it on youtube yet. I'll get him as soon as its there.
This week's episode had a couple of cool bits (frozen Starro being the main one), but overall it was kind of back to blah.

A whole bunch of Atlantis subplots were set up, though, so I expect to see more of it.
The episode had a few fan moments for me. I like Gar, I care less for Tula, though. Not a big Mera fan, but she was pretty cool. What was more cool was when she opened her mouth and Kath Soucie voice came out. I was in Heaven and rewound it so I could hear lines again!
yeah and I cannot help it...at the end...where Black Manta stood up in front of those in white out identities...I cannot help feeling that it is the HIVE behind all those scenarios. Still think it s HIVE?
awww, we missed it. I'll get it on youtube for me and Sam later.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 03/07/11 04:26 PM
I was apprehensive that they were going to take away Garth's girl as well as his rightful place as Aqualad!!!

It was cute when Reddy came intot he room (with Megan and Superboy) and turned around and left without saying a word.

Aside from the look at the Flash family, and Garth/Tula/Mera and Aquaman, it just wasn't all that.

I should be enjoying the STARS of the show, not the rest of the people around them.

But as I previously said, it's more important that this clicks with the young'uns than with me!
I honestly don't get the dislike for the show by the adults. It isn't earth 1, so why not just enjoy the ride? Its connecting with the kids, while having enough plots woven in to attract the adults. I'm liking it just fine, much better than Teen Titans for sure. And much much better than the second season of Legion, which just completely lost its way.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 03/07/11 08:35 PM
And see, I preferred Teen Titans and LSH.

The YJ kids will get there for me, I'm sure. 'Til then I can enjoy awesome cameos by other heroes. smile
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 03/07/11 11:00 PM
I loved this last episode... Even though Aqualad was the star, the best moment was between Dick and Bruce on the basketball court... I absolutely loved the depiction of Mera's powers, especially the octopus effect... Kid Flash is still largely annoying, as is Superboy's attitude... but I love the "mythology" this series is creating...
You know, I just realized. Despite the fact that I haven't been this show's biggest fan, it has started to provide something very vital. More Roy Harper fans. And you know what that means.
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 03/07/11 11:06 PM
More illegitimate kids?
I loved the scene between Superboy, Miss Martian and Red Tornado.. awesome.

It was great to say Jay and Barry too. Cool stuff.
Posted By: Set Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 03/08/11 05:45 AM
Loved this Atlantis ep. Lots of cool visuals.
Posted By: matlock Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 03/10/11 01:08 PM
My son has gone super-hero crazy so we are both watching this show. It's good to have an "excuse" for watching it. It's fun to tell him who all the characters are. It's too bad the toy line won't launch before his birthday next month.
Originally posted by Tom Tanner:
Actually liked it OK. My son is visiting with his 10-year-old daughter, he liked it pretty well, too. She stayed upstairs with her Nintendo DSi playing Monster Rancher.
I think someday TV is going to die out. But wow, Monster Ranchers brings back really old memories. That show lasted, maybe four episodes? But it was really cool and the bad guy was the heroine's father, creating alot of juicy tension.

I think the personalities they give the characters, while annoying to adults, probably accurately fit the way kids see themselves and others. When I watched Digimon or X-Men Evolution you could relate to the kids because they fit a role you saw in real life- jock, prep, nerd, class clown, etc.
I am, sadly, more lame with DC knowledge so these shows tend to be shiny and new to me...so I love them. And seeing as I am obsessed with animation, I love the production value they are putting into this show.

As for Monster Rancher, I watched that, it was originally 73 episodes, some got cut, but it all ran in syndication for the most part.
Never heard of monster rancher before. Got any links to the shows online?
Posted By: ActorLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 03/12/11 01:10 AM
The little getting to know the team vignettes were my favorite of "Downtime" especially Megan & Kon's baking fiasco and Bruce & Dick playing basketball.

Remember a new episode is tonight!

Also I heard through the grapevine that the McD toy promo has started. Annoyingly the nearest one to me went out of business at the end of last year so I don't know if I'll be able to complete a set. I really want that Kon. The Clark and Wally look especially nice too.
Spoiler...

main villain was one that should have been much larger in the DCU... Psimon, ole' glassdome himself.

Good story. Bats ain't sendin' them on baby missions, thats for sure.
Posted By: ActorLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 03/12/11 05:26 AM
It was one of the best episodes so far but the timeline issue bugged me. Even if the team was on "radio silence" due to Batman's orders I find it odd that he and/or rest of the Justice League didn't look for them especially when he sent them to Supervillain Central.

Psimon was used well although the whole "Psimon Says" thing seriously made me roll my eyes.

As usual Megan's still my favorite character and I was happy she got to be so useful.
Well, the best villains always have a bit of swagger about them.
loved it....and I noticed that they are using Titans villains (except Black Manta) and characters (Garth, Aquagirl) a lot so it still made me feel like that it is the HIVE who s behind all the scenes. hmmm I hope I am wrong...maybe it s 1000 council?

something new about Artemis...is she an assassin? hmmm.
Posted By: matlock Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 03/13/11 01:47 AM
matlock lad and I both enjoyed this one. I'm enjoying the way they're teasing out Artemis' background, and her and Kid Flash's chemistry. I believe my boy enjoyed Superboy's Hulk Smash! routine most so they covered all the bases. Even my wife was watching it closely enough to be a little creeped out by Psimon.
I was thinking that the "Light" is possibly the Secret Society.

Artemis is cool. I'm really starting to warm up to her character.

Wally's still a bit annoying, but he's supposed to be that way, so I'm good with it.

Superboy and Miss Martian.. I really hope their relationship goes nowhere.. I want Cassie to show up on the show.
Wonder if Artemis will be the Tara character, only she will reform.
I was thinking that the "Light" is possibly the Secret Society.

I've been getting a "Legion of Doom" vibe from them from the beginning.

I thought this episode was okay, but not anything special. The whole "psychic battle" thing kind of annoyed me. The idea that the relatively inexperienced Miss Martian could defeat the presumably much more experienced guy who specializes in mental stuff just because she's got Superboy to hold her hand seemed pretty goofy to me.
Posted By: Set Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 03/13/11 06:09 PM
There's a guessing game going on as to whom these 'Light' characters are. One of the speakers seems pretty clearly to be Luthor (smooth headed), while another has a head that goes up into three points (speculated to be Ocean Master). The female speaker from this episode could be Queen Bee, since she was name-dropped during the episode.
Secret Society of Super Villains would be cool. I liked that 70's book, even though I could only find a few issues back then.
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 03/14/11 01:38 AM
We finally caught an episode of this, the Psimon one. Pretty good...I think Megan has become my daughters favorite instantly.
Posted By: ActorLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 03/14/11 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
[b]I was thinking that the "Light" is possibly the Secret Society.

I've been getting a "Legion of Doom" vibe from them from the beginning.

I thought this episode was okay, but not anything special. The whole "psychic battle" thing kind of annoyed me. The idea that the relatively inexperienced Miss Martian could defeat the presumably much more experienced guy who specializes in mental stuff just because she's got Superboy to hold her hand seemed pretty goofy to me. [/b]
Good point except that I don't think Psimon is that much more experienced with his powers. If his back-story is comparable to the comics he gained his powers as an adult while Megan was born with them. Yes Megan is a 16 in Martian years it's been said in she's like 40 in Earth years. I'm guessing Psimon is about in his 30s. I think his main advantage was that he was more willing to play dirty with them.
Posted By: matlock Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 03/16/11 02:22 AM
Originally posted by ActorLad:
Good point except that I don't think Psimon is that much more experienced with his powers. If his back-story is comparable to the comics he gained his powers as an adult while Megan was born with them. Yes Megan is a 16 in Martian years it's been said in she's like 40 in Earth years. I'm guessing Psimon is about in his 30s. I think his main advantage was that he was more willing to play dirty with them.
That's how I saw it too. Since Psimon isn't in the "inner circle" of the Light I doubt he's an especially big-time villain. My guess is he's more of a mercenary who may never have gone up against much of an opponent before.

One nice thing about the Light though, they're pretty easy going on their hirelings. Every week they fail, confess to the room of tv's and get a pat on the back and a cup of hot cocoa. Instead of being dropped in a tank of sharks or whatever.
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 03/17/11 01:29 AM
Hannah is totally into this show now. She;s only seen two episodes, but absolutely loves it. Wants all the McD's toys and eventual action figures.
Cool. Get that gal to a book store.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 03/18/11 11:03 PM
Just watched the Psimon ep. I despise Psimon, so seeing him get his ass whipped was nice, no matter how lamely it came about... which was kinda lame, as EDE says. smile

Counted !!FOUR!! "Hello, Megan"s. IMO, four too many. 3 too many at the very very least. But I can see the kiddies liking her catchphrase.

Nicholas Corrin on FB has very astutley figured out the secret of Artemis' parentage.

Dad and Mom are no less than <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Sportsmaster and the original Huntress!</span></span>
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 03/19/11 02:20 AM
Picked up the first issue of the comic for her today. She has read it several times.
Missed last nights. Gonna have to youtube it.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 03/22/11 05:53 AM
This past Friday must have been a re-run, Rick, my DVR skipped recording it.
Yeah it was, mine recorded it but I deleted it, not that I can remember what it was...

thinking...

Oh yeah, it was the first episode, Independence Day.
Cool. I stopped by maccydo's today and bought him a superboy toy. I was getting breakfast so it wasn't a happy meal, but you can buy the little toys seperately.

Add to that I have several toys from the old Justice League series that I have been saving and I hope to give him a nice little surprise.
Posted By: Set Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 03/22/11 10:01 PM
From someone named 'muthasucka' on the DC messageboards, speculation as to the identities of the Light, based on their voice-actors;

I did some research on the voice acting and came up with this (posted previously in the Movies Forum):

L-1: (Miguel Ferrer) Summary at end of "Independence Day", debriefed Sportsmaster (I'm guessing this is Lex or Deathstroke - silhouette could be bald head or full mask).

L-2: (Oded Fehr) debriefed Sensei (I'm guessing this is Ra's).

L-3: (Mark Rolston) Summary at end of "Independence Day" with L-1. Silhouette not shown - could be Lex or Deathstroke, too.

L-4: (Marina Sirtis) Queen Bee, debriefed Psimon.

L-5: (Roger Craig Smith) Oceanmaster, debriefed Black Manta.

L-6: (Nolan North) debriefed Sportsmaster, French accent, domed head, must be Brain.

Oded Fehr is a fine actor, having been in the Mummy movies and Deuce Bigelow as well as the Resident Evil roles. I'm surprised to not see him in a lot more stuff.

But he's done a LOT of voice acting. He has a very distinctive voice.
Posted By: RED-001 Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 03/23/11 02:44 PM
Should these DC heroes appear on Young Justice?

Legion of Super Heroes
Captain Marvel

Who???

Could imagine Robin meeting his future self Nightwing?
I'd like to see a "serious" treatment of some of the more obscure characters, like Batman BATB did in a comical vein.

DC could do a great show with a couple of good themes, like the BATB or the old Showcase Presents. Build up some notoriety for those characters. There are only so many a-list characters and villains.
Posted By: matlock Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 03/23/11 11:44 PM
I hear you Rick. If only they had some kind of connection to a network that shows cartoons! Surely they would not let that connection go to waste... Seriously, why CN isn't about 40% DC material I'll never know.
smile

Hopefully, now that they have realigned it wont just be for show and they will start to tap the depth of field that they have. they better. DisMar (Disney/Marvel) is, and they aren't gonna stop anytime soon.
If TimWaDC wants to compete, they better step it up or they will become the also rans, not just in comics.
If you guys are interested, we are doing a few podcasts over at www.completelycomics.com specifically on the Young Justice cartoon.

If you have time, please listen and let me know what you think. Feedback is encouraged.

http://completelycomics.wordpress.com/2011/04/19/completely-young-justice/
Friday, June 3rd, 2011 at 7:00pm (ET) - Episode 10: "Targets" -- New!
Red Arrow’s battle to prevent the League of Shadows from inciting a war, pits him against the world’s most dangerous assassins – and allies him with someone more dangerous still. Too bad Aqualad couldn’t convince him to ask the team for help…
On a related note, Lash, Troy and I have started a Facebook page for Young Justice, called Young Justice Headquarters. Come check it out if you'd like.

You can also find a link there for our interview with Peter David himself!
Anyone have opinions on the new season?

-- I think their choice for the new Dr Fate is interesting although the person that it almost was is just as interesting.
-- Who is that girl who was seen helping the schoolbus in the first ep? She's in the promos as being part of the team (or at least standing with them as though she is)
Posted By: matlock Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 03/12/12 03:20 PM
The person saving the bus is Rocket, one of the Milestone characters. YJ has followed the current DC comics by having the Milestone properties rolled into the main continuity. I think one or two of the grown-up Milestone characters have also made brief, non-speaking appearances.

I was glad to see the helmet of Nabu taken off the table for a while. It was to potent to leave on Kid Flash's trophy shelf even with it's inherent drawbacks. I don't know if I needed another Kid Flash spotlight this week since he had one already. As far as I remember we still haven't had one for Robin which seems like an oversight.

Incidentally, this is actually still the first season, technically speaking. They've just stretched it out for over a year. The 2nd season will be called "Young Justice: Invasion" or something like that.
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 03/13/12 10:54 PM
I have come to love this series despite many of my misgivings in the past... the last two episodes were really good... I didn't even find Wally that annoying... liked how they incorporated an old Flash (second series #1) story into the show... I'd like to see more stories from the comics brought to life like that...
I'm having to catch them as catch can on youtube, unfortunately. I seem to have missed a couple. and I haven't seen the new GL cartoon, though I gotta say I hate the computer animation. No soul to it. Way to clean. Needs a little grit.
Posted By: Set Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 03/14/12 03:18 AM
I watch it on youtube as well.

I'm loving it. Zatanna is a great addition.

(I care nothing for Artemis and her dark secret. Yawn.)

Marvel may be kicking DC's ass in the movie venue, but DC's consistently had better animated stuff, IMO.
Posted By: matlock Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 03/14/12 05:30 PM
This show is the first time I've liked Zatanna really. Maybe it's the interaction with Zatara that that was missing before. I was sure Robin was going to her about losing parents but maybe that's a little too dark even for this show.

I'll be glad when they get Artemis' and Miss Martian's secrets out in the open. They've played them out long enough.
I wish I had Cartoon Network.
Posted By: Set Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 03/25/12 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Anita Cocktail:
I wish I had Cartoon Network.
I'm not sure if YouTube has yanked them down yet, but I've seen all of them so far on YouTube (usually split into two half-episodes). The quality has been good, although, occasionally, the picture is backwards (all the writing goes right to left and is hard to read, but the action looks fine!).

Looks like quite a few are still up, perhaps even most of them. Here's part 1 of episode 1 (it was a double length episode, and so is in four parts).

Ep 1, part 1
I didn't know they were showing new episodes! Now I have to track them down.
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 04/12/12 02:09 PM
The most recent episode with Haly's Circus was fun... I like this version of Robin quite a bit... except for the giggling which has seemed to have toned down...

I'm getting a little tired of the whole "there's a mole on the team" scenario... I hope they resolve that asap...
Posted By: Set Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 04/12/12 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Spellbinder:
I didn't know they were showing new episodes! Now I have to track them down.
In addition to YouTube, which can be a minor hassle to sort through (lots of people post links to other sites, instead of posting the actual episode, and the posted episodes are often divided into anywhere from two to five sections, for quality), there are a few non-pay-sites you can find, like this one.
Posted By: matlock Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 04/14/12 03:11 PM
Originally posted by SharkLad:
The most recent episode with Haly's Circus was fun... I like this version of Robin quite a bit... except for the giggling which has seemed to have toned down...

I'm getting a little tired of the whole "there's a mole on the team" scenario... I hope they resolve that asap...
I think you'll like this weeks ep if you haven't seen it... wow! A lot of good stuff packed into one episode.
Posted By: Set Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 04/14/12 05:15 PM
Ooh, that was a good one!

Secrets are spilling out all over the place!

And there are still five episodes left this season!
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 04/22/12 07:05 PM
This week's episode kicked major arse! Loved Robin vs. Batman and Superboy vs. Superman... great ending to the season...
Posted By: KidChaos Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 04/23/12 05:19 PM
Just started watching reruns on 'On Demand'. I think this is the best superhero cartoon to come out in a while!

I am, however, devastated to learn I've been pronouncing "Bialya" wrong all these years.
Posted By: matlock Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 05/05/12 04:51 AM
Is anybody out there keeping up with this show? Because -

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Aaaugh, 5 Year Gap!!! Do not want! My daughter is not pleased either - she really likes Artemis.</span></span>

Also, Interlac got a mention last week - I like when it pops up in random places.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 05/05/12 04:23 PM
So I just read on another board that Mal Duncan not only appeared in this show during its first season but is now becoming a MAIN CHARACTER in the second...

HOW HAD I NOT HEARD ABOUT THIS BEFORE?!?

This show has not been on my radar at all until now - and now I've gotta catch up!

I hope it's gonna be worth it.
Posted By: matlock Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 05/06/12 12:16 AM
Mal Duncan did indeed appear in a couple episodes along with Karen Beecher. Not major appearances but definitely seeding their increased roles in season 2. There were quite a lot of fun non-heroic cameos like that in the first season: Barbara Gordon and Garfield Logan also appeared.

At any rate I recommend this show completely. It's basically my weekly superhero fix since I can't even contemplate buying anything on the stands any more. It doesn't hurt my 10 year old daughter wants to watch it with me. I'll take my father-daughter time whenever I can!
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 05/09/12 11:27 PM
While not thrilled with all of the second season changes, Young Justice is still really good... I like the inclusion of Beast Boy and am glad that Superboy and Miss Martian are still front and center... hoping we'll see more of the original team soon...
Posted By: matlock Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 05/09/12 11:48 PM
I don't really get the need for the big changes either. There were a lot of stories to tell with the set-up they already had.

It was pretty cool that for a 2nd episode in a row there was a Legion-related reference. They used Rimbor for the name of an alien world.
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 05/19/12 10:15 PM
Today's episode was pretty bad ass... nice reprieve from the alien invasion stuff... good to see what some of the missing teammates have been up too... plus the debut of a character that should make one of our sarcastic colleagues very happy...
YOU'RE FLORGING RIGHT IT DID!

Now we just need her back in the comics and Dan Didio chained to a radiator somewhere.
Posted By: Set Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 05/19/12 10:49 PM
I am loving that the jump forward has changed some character interactions for the better. Conner's new relationship with Superman is cool to see.
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 05/20/12 04:45 AM
yeah, I liked the "Little brother" comment last week...
Wally West and Artemis finally appeared!

Roy Harper a clone? alongside Jim Harper too! hmmm interesting.

best of them all --- LIAN HARPER made an appearance!!! CUTE!!!! yeahhhh!! but they better not kill her off!
Posted By: matlock Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 05/23/12 03:49 AM
Lian is better off on Earth-16 (where the show is set.) It's still a nicer place than the actual comics these days.

Wally quitting in favor of college and Dick becoming Nightwing is kind of a cool callback to the New Teen Titans story that started Dick's transition away from being Robin. I have to say Marv Wolfman's version of Wally was a lot less fun than YJ's.
loved Bumblebee and Wonder Girl in action alongside Batgirl and Miss Martian...Bumblebee a member of JL indeed!

and Apache Chief or Manitou Raven in the making? way too cool if it s true.
Posted By: Set Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 05/27/12 06:37 PM
The all girls Alpha team was cool, along with the justification for it (and Batgirl calling Nightwing on why there even needed to be a justification for an all girls mission!).

"There's just no right answer, is there? Nightwing out."

Miss Martian is hardcore. She was a heavy hitter in the comics, too, but her light-hearted personality made it easy to overlook. This more serious (and ruthless) version is badass, even it's being foreshadowed to be a setup for trouble.
I am surprized no one has mentioned the Legion tie-in. The missing 16 hours had the six members in Rimbor.
Posted By: Set Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 05/27/12 11:26 PM
In the episode with Lobo, he's referred to as speaking Interlac, as well. (Although it's incomprehensible alien gibberish to the audience.)

I'm not a huge fan of Legion references showing up in shows set in the 20th/21st century, as it messes with my assumption that Rimbor (Winath, Cargg, Braal, etc.) was a world settled by humans over the last 1000 years or that Interlac may have been a more 'recent' invention.

Everything in the 31st century having been around 1000 years ago begs the question of what the hell people actually accomplished over the last 1000 years...
Miss Martian is hardcore. She was a heavy hitter in the comics, too, but her light-hearted personality made it easy to overlook. This more serious (and ruthless) version is badass, even it's being foreshadowed to be a setup for trouble.
Haven't read the comics, does she do "Hello Megan!" there too?
I'm not a huge fan of Legion references showing up in shows set in the 20th/21st century, as it messes with my assumption that Rimbor (Winath, Cargg, Braal, etc.) was a world settled by humans over the last 1000 years or that Interlac may have been a more 'recent' invention.

Everything in the 31st century having been around 1000 years ago begs the question of what the hell people actually accomplished over the last 1000 years...
Agree totally, don't get me started on THAT again!

I wouldn't mind references if they would take that into account.
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 05/28/12 03:12 PM
Good episode this week, but I find myself missing the original line-up... also, I don't really care for Batgirl being on the team, especially with Batman off-planet... she should be in Gotham not Bialya... Wonder Girl, on the other hand, is a nice addition...
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 05/28/12 03:15 PM

I agree... I used to like references to the LSH in more mainstream books/shows, but it kinda makes the 31st century seem less unique...
I never get to see it anymore, and can't find the eps on cartoon network. Any ideas where I can catch up?
Posted By: Set Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 05/30/12 12:30 AM
I never get to see it anymore, and can't find the eps on cartoon network. Any ideas where I can catch up?
Wading through the ten billion fakes on Youtube (links to paysites disguised as the ep online) can be a bit annoying, but animeflavor usually works for me.
Posted By: matlock Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 05/30/12 02:39 AM
"Beneath" wasn't a particular favorite of mine. The Blue Beetle plot was kind of interesting since it's the least action oriented thing we've seen outside of the short "downtime" bits we've seen here and there. Seeing him battling the Scarab's "kill 'em all" vibe was pretty fun.

The Bialya section was good for getting some insight into the newer female members and for bumping the plot along a bit more. Apparently there's been a pretty big breakout at Belle Reve during the gap. Icicle Jr. is always good for some laughs; he doesn't seem to have smartened up any in five years.

Interesting tidbit - Bumblebee's costume has glowing lines on it when she shrinks, just like YJ's version of the Atom does. She's his protege after all so the visual tie-in's kind of cool.
I didn't know Bumblebee was Atom's protege. This makes it obvious that she's inspired by (to put it nicely) Marvel's Wasp.
Posted By: matlock Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 05/31/12 03:38 AM
I should be a little clearer - Bumblebee's his protege on the show but not the traditional comic character. In her first appearence in costume on the show she mentions a lesson with Dr. Palmer or something like that.
Posted By: Set Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 05/31/12 03:58 AM
Ha, Ray's rarely referred to as 'Dr. Palmer' and it almost does sound like a deliberate attempt to draw a parallel between him and 'Dr. Pym.'

The Young Justice writers may also have made a nod to Marvel a bit when they portrayed the Black Spider recently as being suspiciously Spider-Man-like, in his movements and tactics.
Okay, well still an homage, but less of an intentional parallel from the start. smile

It was quite a while before I made the connection between Mockingbird and Black Canary, and then I realized she was involved with Marvel's Green Arrow parallel and wondered why they do things like that?
Posted By: Set Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 05/31/12 04:10 AM
I think, just for the fun of it.

With so many of their creative sorts moving back and forth between the big two, it's only natural that they are going to riff off of each other (with Marvel doing so shamelessly, at times, with the Imperial Guard or the Squadron Supreme).

And then there'r characters like Apollo and Midnighter, a third company's 'homages' to Superman and Batman, who have been bought by DC and folded into the same universe / continuity as the real Superman and Batman! I imagine that if DC ever bought Marvel, Bumblebee might become the protoge of the actual Dr. Pym!

Anywho, I'm loving this show. Of the various super-hero cartoons out there, this is the best.

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is also pretty great, too, and Green Lantern is watchable.
I don't mind the Imperial Guard and especially not the Squadron Supreme AT ALL. They're supposed to be homages of whole groups. And the Squadron is most often used as a What-If version of JLA.

While it makes perfect sense that two companies would happen to have archer characters, and plausible that both companies would have pugilistic ladies with bird themes (super-females do tend to go for bird themes but do you have to go so far as to have your version of the woman ALSO be blonde and wear a black costume?) I nevertheless find it slightly irksome for these respective pairs to be on-again/off-again couples in both places.

Only slightly. What's more important is that the stories are good, unless the stories are also similar, in which case they're really going too far.
Once again starting a new page. This really must be my superpower.
Posted By: Set Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 06/02/12 04:33 PM
I tracked down the name of the poster on YouTube who puts up the actual episodes (broken down into four or five parts, usually, and it's easiest to click the link in his/her first response to their own thread, to get to the next part of the episode, than to attempt to wade through all of the spam).

Up to last weeks eps are here. The...an currently only see Season 2 eps here.
Thanks Set, that worked fine (for now...)

Must have been some crackdown stopping people from posting whole episodes as had been happening just last year. I'd be happy to watch their commercials and catch up on the ones I miss on the Cartoon Network website but that's so hit or miss I don't even bother checking it anymore.
Impulse!!! LOL!!

no new episode next week? frown

but no new episode for Green Lantern today?!? did I miss it? the DVR did not record it...only they record new episodes, not rerun.
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 06/03/12 01:51 PM
Fun episode, really fun... except for the post-apocalyptic future, of course... great to see Wally back in uniform...

I thought they did say "new Young Justice" for next week during the credits, even though the scenes they showed looked like they were from previous episodes...
Posted By: Dartalon Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 06/03/12 03:05 PM
Green Lantern: The Animated series wasn't new it is in reruns now. Young Justice is new next week with the episode Depths then it goes into reruns for the rest of June.
I find Cartoon Network's business model incomprehensible. In order to watch videos on their site, you don't just need to subscribe to Cartoon Network, you need to subscribe to an approved cable or satellite service.

Then you only get to see the last couple of episodes. This is a perfect invitation to "piracy".

You would think more companies would get on-board with the Hulu model.

Advantages of the Internet: You can accurately measure not only the number of people who watch your shows, but the number of people who watch your ads.

Disadvantages: Only a vanishingly small number of people actually watch TV on the internet. Yes, believe it or not. Therefore, per-ad revenue is vanishingly small.

There have been a whole host of articles recently- Forbes, Money, Wall Street Journal - even Slate - about how and why TV- and movies- delivered over the internet just doesn't matter.

I think this is a failure of imagination.
Yeah. Put a commercial or banner ad on it if you must, but put your stuff online, so that people looking for it can find it at YOUR place.

Though I wouldn't call not doing so an invitation to piracy, but yeah, many others are doing way better at removing the temptation.

And I believe Cartoon Network had been much better at it once upon a time, but I guess personnel changed.
Posted By: Set Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 06/03/12 04:57 PM
I suspect that the individual posting the videos I linked to is somehow affiliated with Cartoon Networks, or with the show itself, as their videos are always of sparkling quality, and always presented backwards (which makes reading the caption text annoying, for scenes that are in subtitles...). The fact that they take them down in order, and don't have them taken down en masse by YouTube, makes it seem like a nod-and-a-wink sort of situation, where the source is legit.

It's entirely possible that either CN or the show's creators are hamstrung by agreements that assure potential advertisers that the show they are paying their moneys to appear on won't be available in other, advertising-free, formats. IMO, it's probably something as silly as that (a line written into the ad constracts that came from a legal advisor in the marketing department), and not anything more sinister.

As a Comcast customer, I can also view them on Xfinity, completely guilt-free, but they are only posted up there a few weeks later, and only for an arbitrary time period, which is pretty darn sloppy.
I thought the backward part was to keep Warner Bros' web-spiders from finding it, but that makes sense too.

I can see them free on Time Warner On Demand, but it's not always dependable. Though occasionally that works in our favor too and next week's episode is put online early. :-)
Posted By: matlock Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 06/07/12 03:30 AM
Last week's episode was pretty good. I'm not much of an Impulse fan but seeing Jay Garrick in uniform was really great. The focus on the Flash family was overdue really, we'd seen a lot of the other mentor characters in the first season. I do hope we're not in for an overdose of the "classic" YJ comic lineup. I guess the addition of Batgirl, Beast Boy and Bumblebee (plus Mal) will help balance things out.
Posted By: Set Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 06/09/12 07:07 PM
G. Gorden Godfrey's voice makes me want to punch him, so perfect casting, I suppose! I just looked it up, because I thought it sounded like Tim Curry, and, sure nuff, it was.

Another fun episode. I'm impressed with how grown up the plots are, compared to the old Teen Titans show. We've got action, but also very real romantic / life-issue stuff going on between Megan & Conner and Wally & Artemis.
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 06/10/12 04:50 AM
This week's episode was crazy good... awesome plot twist at the end... guess YJ is going on hiatus for a while which is a major bummer...
There's a certain kind of writing that only works for the audience, or at least works best, once they've gotten to know the characters. I'm glad this show is at that point and is taking advantage of it.
Posted By: Set Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 06/11/12 06:47 AM
Even as a Tempest/Garth fan, I find myself liking Kaldur, so it's nice to see him still 'in the game' for good or for bad.

Black Manta is turning out to be all sorts of fascinating as a bad guy, here, which is also very cool, since he's not nearly as strongly used in the comics.

With Miss Martian being easily the toughest (and most versatile) member of the team, I love the dynamic, as well.

Her telekinesis has become freaky strong, with her stunt at the end of this last episode with the missile, and her telepathy remains indispensible.
Gah. I still miss it for various reasons, and can't find the new eps on the web.
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 10/03/12 10:00 PM
I just caught 2 episodes on demand. The intro of Impulse and another one were a rocket bound for Mars gets taken out by Black Manta.

I have not been catching this series for a variety of reasons...but I need to start watching this on a regular basis. Totally impressed by what I waw today.
Posted By: Set Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 10/03/12 10:30 PM
It's an awesome show (miles and away the best thing DC is putting out, these days). You can generally see the new eps on Youtube, if you don't have Xfinity or whatever.

A poster on YouTube named DC Nation Videos tends to post them up in five post bits, with the only funky bit being that they are reverse imaged, so that the writing on stuff in the background or whatever is all backwards.

At the moment, all of the season 2 videos are still up at the link I posted. There were 26 season 1 episodes, I think, and they are a bit harder to locate.

I've had some luck watching the first season eps at Animeflavor, but that might not work for everyone.
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 10/04/12 12:08 AM
I was really impressed with the level of thought that is going into the writing. It seems very mature for a super-hero cartoon.

With the plot of the last episode I saw, with someones return and Black Manta attacking...it was really intense.

There are deep themes between Kon and Megan. A lot of stuff that would go over most kids heads.

I am going to try to track these down...on DVD hopefully.
Yeah, I've got to say that I didn't care much for the first few episodes, but the occasional more recent episode I've seen has looked pretty good. I'll have to track it down as well eventually.
The only three reasons I watch Young Justice are because Rocket's my favorite Milestone character and I'm overjoyed to see her in a cartoon, and that someone actually decided to use Lian, but I mostly watch it because I worry over what they do with Roy's character.

I can't say I'm fond of some of the romance in this show because it feels more melodramatic then it should and I considered that to be trite and boring. I really have no interest in what's going on with Kon and Megan.

I do admit that I actually like the versions of Beast Boy and Cass Sandsmark in this show much better than their comic versions.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 10/04/12 12:47 AM
I demand my very own Roy Harper clone!
Posted By: matlock Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 10/04/12 01:50 AM
The first season is available on DVD in two volumes. This show is essentially my regular superhero fix. My kids enjoy watching it with me so I'd love it for that if nothing else. Even my wife tries valiantly to keep up with who's who when they're out of uniform. "I thought the Flash was the blonde one?" "Yes, but not with a goatee."

When this show fires on all cylinders no other superhero cartoon or movie can touch it, for my money. I enjoy it more than I did the DCAU Justice League show, and it was really good.
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 10/06/12 04:29 PM
Another great episode this morning... Young Justice is definitely not your typical superhero cartoon... conversation between Nightwing and Kid Flash had me wondering whether Wally could actually be right about Aqualad... wouldn't surprise me at all...
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 10/07/12 02:30 AM
Just saw the Speedy episode. This is not your average kids cartoon...and that's a very good thing.
Posted By: matlock Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 10/10/12 02:13 AM
Last week's episode was pretty surprising, with a lot of twists and turns, but I'm glad they still have time for the small character bits. Poor Mal! His day went from bad to worse.

And I always enjoy it whenever Icicle, Jr. makes the scene. He's just so bad at his profession without even realizing it.

Cartoon Network should be paying these people a boatload of money to create a few more Earth-16 shows.
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 10/14/12 01:25 AM
Went to watch today's episode on the DVR only to find some show about dragons... from what I could find out, looks like Cartoon Network won't be airing new episodes again until January '13...

Lame...
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 10/14/12 01:42 AM
Figures...right when I start wanting to watch it...
But what about the new episodes of YJ and Green Lantern that were scheduled for this weekend? They're still on my digital guide for today's rebroadcast at 10am.
Posted By: Set Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 10/14/12 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Shining Son:
But what about the new episodes of YJ and Green Lantern that were scheduled for this weekend? They're still on my digital guide for today's rebroadcast at 10am.
Cartoon Network apparently decided 12 hours before broadcast to put it back on haitus until next year, and they don't seem to have bothered updating the schedules.

The Green Lantern show is not terrible, but not really anything I'm gonna miss, either. But Young Justice (and the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon) are the best things DC and Marvel are putting out these days (apart from the occasional movie).

Here\'s the twitter announcement. I love the first response it got (crude as it is).
I'm SO glad I asked here, that twitter feed was golden. Thanks Set!
Posted By: matlock Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 10/14/12 11:53 AM
That was not cool CN, at all. I don't understand the thinkg there.
Nobody does.
Posted By: Set Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 10/15/12 07:42 AM
Wild internet rumor (which could be completely pulled from someone's butt) suggests that DC may have lost / be losing rights to the Milestone characters, and that the upcoming episode(s) may have included scenes by Icon, Static and / or Rocket that needed to be purged, in the event that happens.

If that has a germ of truth to it, they might have chosen to put off the entire DC Nation block, even if the Green Lantern show wouldn't have been otherwise affected by the Milestone thing.
Posted By: matlock Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 10/15/12 11:31 PM
I just can't put much stock in that idea though. It stands to reason that if you had the rights to use a character at the time you produced a show you'd retain the rights to broadcast that material. They might not be able to create new episodes but the ones that were completed would be usable. I haven't seen an production update lately but if I remember right the last episodes of the season are already in the pipeline. At the least if some other party were getting the rights to the Milestone line it would be pretty dumb to cause it to get less exposure, rather than more.

Personally, I just think CN doesn't know what to do with anything that's action oriented outside of Ben 10 (which they seem weirdly commited to.) They rebooted Masters of the Universe and dropped it, dropped Secret Saturdays, let their Thundercats reboot slide off the air, and so on. DisneyXD seems to keep plenty of Marvel stuff on air and in the pipeline and still runs the 90's Marvel cartoons late at night.

More personally, CN is wasting the chance to get my kids interested in the DC characters. I wouldn't dream of letting them read the actual comics these days (except for the YJ tie-in maybe.) So dumb.
But it is a cool rumor though! Where do you read such things?
Posted By: Set Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 10/16/12 11:35 PM
Young Justice ep that wasn\'t aired can be seen here.

(Along with all the other episodes.)
Posted By: matlock Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 10/16/12 11:49 PM
Tempt me not, Set! My daughter wrote up a formal document spelling out that none of us are to watch a new YJ in advance of the rest of us (my wife not included.) It is known as the Fancy Law.

By the by, I think there were quite a few episodes in the first season that aired outside the U.S. well before they aired here. I had to avoid the spoilers.
List of current theories on why DC Nation was pulled at the last minute
Posted By: matlock Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 10/19/12 01:51 AM
The last one's the only one I really buy. DC/CN/Time Warner are seemingly unable to act in accord about a single thing.
Posted By: Dev-Em Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 10/19/12 03:10 AM
I'm going to say it was Joey Q. making a prank call as Dan Didio telling CN to hold off with new episodes till January because Young Justice is the best cartoon on television (that isn't Phineas and Ferb) and he wanted his shows to have a chance.
Posted By: matlock Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 11/03/12 12:53 AM
Well, just to cap how stupid this hiatus is:

Happy Meal Young Justice toys are starting up again (those little finger skateboard things.) Build that momentum guys!
Posted By: Future Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!! - 11/03/12 02:08 PM
This show is so nifty! I found that, much like the Legion cartoon, I enjoyed it so much more in the second season once there was a bit more of a mythos and world built up around the title characters.

Even the first season, in retrospect, was great and for a moment I couldn't remember how I fell off the wagon so early. Then they pulled the "latest" episode last minute and I recalled all the random months long hiatuses. Oh, right! That's how they lost me... Still, I intend to return with the show in January. It's charming!
Don't forget you can see the YJ and the GL eps that were yanked at the link Set posted above Seeing them during the hiatus should help break it up.
Thanks for the link, Set. That was a pretty good episode. It's a pity they can't get their acts together. It's like they're taking a page from Syfy's playbook. "Let's screw the viewers with a long hiatus just when they're getting really interested in the show."
© Legion World