Legion World
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 09/21/14 12:33 AM
Sounds promising.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 09/21/14 12:38 AM
That does sound promising. And since Peter David wrote a few episodes of the Young Justice cartoon, maybe he'll get to write an episode of Supergirl.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 09/21/14 01:10 AM
The "NCIS Krypton" comment had me both laughing and intrigued.
Posted By: WangLung Supergirl TV show - 09/22/14 02:25 PM
Sorry if wrong place to post but I didn't see anything just for Supergirl.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/33973/cbs-commits-to-a-supergirl-series

Potential for a Legion showing here! It would be interesting if it's like a what if only Supergirl came to Earth.
Posted By: Klar Ken T5477 Re: Supergirl TV show - 09/22/14 02:31 PM
http://www.eonline.com/news/580888/supergirl-tv-series-flying-to-cbs-from-greg-berlanti

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2014/0...upergirl-will-soon-be-flying-high-on-CBS

The Legion showed up in Smallville, how much more appropriate in a Supergirl show? (She really was out of place everywhere by the 30th century)

Blue Lantern Hope springs eternal.
Posted By: WangLung Re: Supergirl TV show - 09/22/14 03:50 PM
Here’s to hope!

I’m just glad stuff like this is being done at all. Arrow is pretty good, Flash looks to be great. The only thing bad I’m seeing right now is that because of it being on CBS there’s little hope of any kind of cross over with the Flash or Arrow. But there’s plenty they can still do.
Posted By: Caliente Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 09/24/14 11:54 PM
Hmm. Well, I did enjoy The New Normal but that's a long way away from a hour-long drama, so. I reserve judgment at this time.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 09/25/14 12:41 AM
The new normal?
Posted By: WangLung Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 10/29/14 03:38 PM
Anything that has the potential for the Legion to show up in I'm all for.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 10/29/14 04:27 PM
Speaking of which, there's also rumors of a David Goyer-developed Krypton series. That doesn't sound too promising to me, but...

Possible Mon-El appearance?
Posted By: WangLung Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/06/14 03:27 PM
Okay this is dead to me now. This just sounds awful.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/34521/more-supergirl-series-details-revealed
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 12/04/14 12:54 AM
I'm worried SUPERGIRL and CBS won't be a good fit. CBS won't hesitate to axe the series if it shows the slightest ratings weakness. I wish the CW would just air all DC shows.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 05/07/15 12:10 AM
It's official.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 05/07/15 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by MLLASH
I'm worried SUPERGIRL and CBS won't be a good fit. CBS won't hesitate to axe the series if it shows the slightest ratings weakness. I wish the CW would just air all DC shows.

Hmm... I wonder if it does falter, if it could simply shift to the CW as a backup plan?
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 05/13/15 11:56 PM
The first look at the series is out:

I'm not sure how I feel about this more alpha-male version of Jimmy Olsen. I've always preferred Jimmy to be more of an in over his head dork.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 05/14/15 03:58 AM
I'm liking it overall!
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 05/14/15 07:45 AM
Looks like more of the "three words and a heavy breath" attempt at dramatic acting, ala Arrow. Agree with the Jimmy Olsen comments. If they felt the need to create a love interest they couldn't just let the guy be a new character or a guy playing the real Jimmy?

Hopefully when Flash reboots history, they'll go back and get this one right.
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 05/15/15 12:26 AM
The standard modules of a 2015 DC super-hero show are all in place.

(1) Each episode will open with “My name is Kara Zor-El…”
Just like
“My name is Oliver Queen…”
“My name is Barry Allen…”
“My name is Olivia Moore…”
Check.

(2) Kara has her own super-hero ‘support group’: in this case, Tobey, Alex, and James; virtually everybody around knows her ‘secret’ identity.
Check.

(3) Zor-El, Alura, and pre-teen Kara will be regulars, featured in the many flashbacks that will dot the episodes.
Check.

(4) Re-imagined established characters: Jimmy Olsen, Calista Grant, and Hank Henshaw. A couple of new characters: Tobey What’s-his-name, Alexandria Danvers, Supergirl’s sister.
Check

(5) Stunt casting, with Dean Cain and Helen Slater as Fred and Sylvia Danvers, with any luck, respectively.
Check.

(6) Some nasty-looking recurring villains: Toyman, probably a pedophile like in the comics, and Vartox, played by oddly named Sean-Connery-look-alike Owain Yeoman, probably a super-alien MRA/PUA misogynist.
Check.

The formula is working for Arrow, working for Flash. Seems to be working for iZombie. Dunno about Gotham or Constantine.

More, more, much more at Supergirl.tv
Looks like most of it was released by CBS, which may, in fact control the website. I dunno.

Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 05/15/15 12:26 AM
And drama. So much drama.
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 05/17/15 05:34 PM
(1) I told my mother that CBS was going to be premiering a Supergirl series in November. Her answer? "What? Another one?"

(2) I do not usually like to project my expectations on a series, but Calista Grant gives Kara a lecture about how not calling her SuperWOMAN is perfectly OK. So I was thinking, it would please me if the Superwoman from Forever Evil to show up sometime as one of the villains on the show.

(3) Also: mirror sequence with new costume in the trailer. Is this a foreshadowing of Bizarro Supergirl?
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 05/22/15 09:22 PM
This is where DC will, as always, fail. Not getting everything together in one shared universe as it should be. Why did CBS get this? Although, having seen the full pilot, I do say I enjoyed it and will watch but only by other means than from CBS.

What are the chances that Disney can buy Warner Bros. as well and do it right like Star Wars and Marvel?
Posted By: kenaustin Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 05/23/15 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by Lightning Lad
....Not getting everything together in one shared universe as it should be. Why did CBS get this?

I had the same question. Then I found out CBS owns 50% of the CW Network, with Time Warner owning the other 50%. So it is possible for there to be crossovers.
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 05/25/15 02:40 PM
I don't know if a shared universe works in this case, though. Superman obviously exists in Supergirl's show, but really can't in the Flash/Arrow verse or we would have heard about it by now, especially Flash where they are treating metahumans as something brand new.

EDIT: I think this is part of why Wells/Thawne moved Barry's timeline up by so much, making him first to avoid entanglements with other Leaguers and have Barry all to himself.
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 05/25/15 03:10 PM
Logic & continuity doesn't matter. Berlanti Adler specifically created Supergirl to exist in the Arrow / Flash universe. Sooner or later, a inter-network crossover will happen.

SuperMAN, however, will never be seen, ever, beyond the cutesy glimpses we saw in the trailer.

Reference from Supergirl.tv:

"In the Arrow Season 2.5 comics, executive producer Marc Guggenheim did mention an inside joke that Superman exists in the Arrow universe and Oliver knows of him. It was a simple panel and presented as a joke but none-the-less, it was a reference to the big blue boyscout."
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 05/25/15 03:21 PM
And here they are, together again for the first time!

http://geektyrant.com/news/the-flash-meets-supergirl-on-the-cover-of-variety-but-will-they-crossover

Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 05/25/15 03:23 PM
That is so photoshopped.
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 05/29/15 03:27 PM
There is a problem with the timeline Kara lays out in the Supergirl trailer.

She says that twenty-four years ago, Krypton was “in peril”, and Kal-El was sent to Earth.

But by the time Kara gets to Earth at about age 11, after a “long sleep”, Kal is a fully grown man, already dressed in the blue-and-red, which means he is maybe fifteen-to-twenty years older than Kara, so Krypton has been gone thirty-five to forty years or more.

This is, by the way, clearly not the Superman of the Smallville TV show.

Anyway, I was thinking, what if Superman ACTUALLY showed up in Supergirl?

(Which, I want to be clear, I am pretty sure is NOT going to happen.)

Who might play him?

Remember Arrow / Flash / Legends of Tomorrow / Supergirl likes stunt casting.

(Example: Dean Cain and Helen Slater as Mr. & Mrs. Danvers)

So, my picks for Superman in Supergirl:

Tom Welling (now 38 years old)

Brandon Routh (now 36 years old) which would be cool, because he is also playing The Atom in Arrow / Flash / Legends of Tomorrow.

Or, going another way, Jason Sudeikis (now 40 years old) because he came into my place every Friday night with Saturday Night Live.

Or, my absolute favorite notion, David Boreanaz (now age 46) because he was my first screen-crush as Angel on Buffy. Even when he was evil.

I'm going to shut up now.
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 06/07/15 04:27 AM
Hello, its me again.

So Geoff Johns says Warner has complete faith in the Supergirl TV show, and although some people have been criticizing the pilot, well, some people were wrong about the Flash, too, and this Supergirl TV show is going to be great stuff.

Except.

Supergirl no longer has her own magazine.

The most recent Supergirl ended with #40 in March, and she isn't back after Convergence.

Which is too bad, because the 21st-century Crucible Academy is about the closest thing DC/Warner has to the Legion these days, except for cameo appearances.

Or maybe the Crucible Academy was more like the Legion of Super-Pets. There's Captain COMET and a CAT-faced character and a MONKEY-like character. And Teen Maxima.

I liked it.

Anyway, if DC / Warner is 100% behind the Supergirl show, WHY NO SUPERGIRL?
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 07/15/15 01:55 PM
Me again.

Melissa Benoist-Jenner killed at SDCC 2015, mostly for her openness and infectious enthusiasm. Spent a lot of time circulating with Grant Gustin.

MT Mehcad Brooks had the best sound bite: “I’m looking forward to my makeout scenes with Superman.”

Maxwell Lord. Reactron. LiveWire. All announced as villains this year.

Not Garth. The one from the Superman Animated Series.

I am also enthusiastic.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 07/15/15 01:58 PM
I'm kind of bummed that Maxwell Lord is showing up as a villain here. frown
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 07/15/15 02:55 PM
When was he ever not a villain?

In his first JLA appearance, he created (and killed) the terrorist at the U.N. who led to the re-uniting of the Justice League.

Sometimes he was more amoral than truly evil, but always a Lex Luthor wannabe.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 07/15/15 02:58 PM
I've always viewed him as a more of a sleazy businessman than a straight up bad guy. He was good person at the end of the day even if he didn't always do things the right way.
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 07/15/15 03:22 PM
Wow. Agree to disagree, but pretty low standards!
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 07/15/15 03:30 PM
You have to admit that JLI wouldn't have been the awesome series that it was without him there smile
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 07/15/15 07:55 PM
Even Lord's origin flashback had him plan to kill his boss, only for an accident to happen anyway (at least that's how he tells it) wink
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 07/15/15 07:57 PM
That's still a far cry from his behavior in the lead up to Infinite Crisis. shake
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 07/15/15 08:16 PM
Hey a murder is a murder, unless it's a moider in which case you're in a gritty 1930s pulp or a murrrrdurrr in which case you're in a Scottish cop show. smile

Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 07/15/15 10:04 PM
Has it been good? The previews didn't encourage me to watch so I'm left to recommendations.
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 07/16/15 01:34 PM
BB: It hasn't aired yet (though supposedly the first episode is easy to find online).

Max Lord is kind of an odd duck. He was definitely a villain at first, then around the Construct storyline, he gets injured and has a change of heart. J'onn brain scans him, and determines he's a good man (though that sequence was very unconvincing). After that, they kind of swept stuff under the rug and he gradually became the benevolent, if Means-to-an-end, benefactor of the League. Certainly though, there was nothing that led one to believe he was the secret evil mastermind who took over Checkmate and was always anglign to get a bead on all the heroes.
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 07/18/15 09:26 PM
Supergirl premieres October 26th at 8pm, with Big Bang Theory as the lead-in, so CBS at least is giving it every chance.

One of two things is going to happen. Either it will be a huge hit, and a "surprise" show of the year, like Arrow and Flash before, or it will appeal to a very small but rabid fan base, who will weep fiery hot tears when it is cancelled mid-season.

I don't think there is going to be any middle ground.

Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 07/25/15 07:54 PM
(My friend learns that Melissa Benoit's name is pronounced Ben-Wah)

"So Supergirl is French? I thought she was Jewish."

"You can be Jewish and French."
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 07/25/15 08:23 PM
BBT Lead-In history tells us ANYTHING given a BBT lead-in is going to be a colossal SMASH (THE MILLERS, TV'S # 1 NEW COMEDY its debut season, the season it ran behind BBT).

THE MILLERS was swiftly cancelled in season 2 after leaving its BBT lead-in (and ratings).

CW ratings on CBS ain't a-gonna cut it, so I'm hoping for great big super-smash in spite of BBT lead-in (*IF* the show is actually good).

Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 08/03/15 01:58 PM
If you live in the LA area, CBS is looking for extras to work on the Supergirl TV series, including (possibly?) a stand-in for Melissa Benoist.

http://supergirl.tv/cbs-supergirl-hiring-stand-ins
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 08/04/15 02:13 PM
WAIT! WHAT?

http://en.mediamass.net/people/melissa-benoist/highest-paid.html

PROJECTED TO EARN $75 MILLION IN 2015 DUE TO "SMART INVESTMENTS"
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 09/02/15 03:40 PM
Iddo Goldberg has been double-cast, portraying both new Supergirl nemesis T.O.Morrow AND Red Tornado.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 09/02/15 10:10 PM
Now that you mention it, that makes perfect sense, and it makes me more optimistic than ever about this show.
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 09/09/15 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by Sue Pergirl
(My friend learns that Melissa Benoit's name is pronounced Ben-Wah)

...Balls! (shameless "Archer" reference ;))
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 09/26/15 04:05 AM
http://entertainthis.usatoday.com/2...-looks-eerily-like-paul-bettanys-vision/

USAToday is complaining that Supergirl's Red Tornado looks like The Avenger's Vision.

Maybe they should have used the Ma Hunkle costume.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/...s/ArgCast%20143/tornados_zpsfa6cce74.jpg

Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 10/01/15 01:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gLwnJ-RZXU

So it's actually pronounced BEN-O-IST.

Not French at all.

wobble-wobble.
Posted By: ActorLad Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 10/06/15 06:33 AM
CBS recently released this music video for Supergirl, I think the song's a great fit for Kara!

http://www.cbs.com/shows/supergirl/...xaz9nOtR/new-supergirl-fight-song-video/
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 10/21/15 02:31 PM
When Marty McFly travelled into the future to October 21st, 2015, did he know that the Supergirl premiere was STILL five days away?
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 10/26/15 11:07 PM
Tonight on CBS at 8:30...tick tock, tick tock...losing patience...oh, the anticipation...
Posted By: ActorLad Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 10/27/15 01:07 AM
I'm so excited, I just can't hide it!
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 10/27/15 01:42 AM
I've already watched the leaked pilot but I'm curious to see what you all think.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 10/27/15 02:48 AM
I really wanted to like it, but I just was not that impressed. I'm pleased with most of the casting, especially Melissa Benoit -- only Calista Flockhart as Cat Grant rang false to me. But the whole DEO/Phantom Zone Criminals thing felt very forced and by-the-numbers, the latter term also describing a lot of the key scenes, like the heart-to-heart between Kara and Alex.

I like Supergirl a lot more than I like Barry Allen, so I will give her show a few episodes to change my mind.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 10/27/15 02:51 AM
I felt the same way for the most part, Fanfie. The plotting felt fairly boilerplate, even for a pilot that's supposed to setup most of the characters for the series. It felt like they were doing too much, too fast and in the end it felt very forced at times.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 10/27/15 02:55 AM
Well said, Stalgie. I think that if it had been an hour-and-a-half or two hours, it would have been better, but I probably still would've found a lot of the same faults.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 10/27/15 02:59 AM
At least we can take solace in the fact that it has one of the best comic to screen costume translations ever? shrug
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 10/27/15 03:01 AM
Good point. nod
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 10/27/15 03:03 AM
It definitely felt like it was trying to tell a story that really should've used a two-hour episode.

It's got a lot of same problems that Flash/Arrow have, but Melissa Benoist was so great that I'm willing to forgive a lot of the forced bits of it. I really empathized with the joy of watching Kara use her powers for the first time.

I'm not too big on the whole DEO setup, and the Fort Raz bit is obviously just an excuse to provide her with a random super-powered foe of the week. *yawn*

Anyway, it's definitely nice to see Kara on tv, thirty years after TPTB at DC not only killed her off but wiped her from existence. So, yeah, there's that.

Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 10/27/15 03:07 AM
Glad you mentioned how what DC did 30 years ago ended up not sticking, EDE.

And, yes, Melissa Benoist really is great. nod
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 10/27/15 04:44 AM
I actually liked it.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 10/27/15 09:33 AM
Their rationalization of Super"girl" seemed a stretch that's getting a free pass. Why the show isn't about a Super GIRL or called Superwoman seems odd on the first count and cowardly on the second. I suppose they could have avoided the problem by going the "Smallville" route?
Posted By: Myg - Andy S Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 10/27/15 03:48 PM
I enjoyed the show premiere for a few reason:
#1) The lead is solid in the role. Most of the major superpowered characters are hard to pull off well, and I thought the lead actor was able to do a whole I'm-strong-enough-to-survive-this-I-think thing in her interactions with everyone.

#2) Mehcad Brooks as Jimmy Olsen is delightful (and Mr. Brooks is always stunning on screen).

#3) I really liked her hair and costume. The hair moved in crazy ways while she was flying and the costume was SO much better than it's been in the comics.

What fell flat:
#1) Lack of development. The sister rivalry thing between her and the Danvers woman, as well as between Kara's mom and aunt, really could have been better fleshed out. I hate when they tell you what they felt as a kid rather than show us (it IS tv).

#2) Fort Raz (or however you spell it) - Yawn. The idea of following a Buffy model shows a stunning lack of originality

#3) Calista Flockhart as Cat Grant was BAD

I'm hoping some of these issues are solved in the first season, and the crazy prison storyline is resolved completely so that they can do something different for Season 2

Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 10/28/15 12:54 PM
Naturally, I have already seen the pilot, and I was thinking of waiting until episode 2 before making any comments.

Because while I adore the show, I hope that episode 1 is the worst they ever make.

Still, watching it again, I do want to say a couple of things.

Many online reviews extol Calista Flockhart as the best thing on the show. To me, she is just annoying. Cat Grant seems underdeveloped, and Ms. Flockhart seems to be uninvested in the character, merely going through the motions of a performance. IMHO.

Also, I notice that Melissa has a beautiful but distinctive chicken pox scar just above her left eyebrow. This makes her immediately and definitely recognizable to anyone who sees her face-to-face. But we imagine that her mostly secret identity still remains mostly secret.

I mention this because I, myself, have a very similar scar in nearly the exact location.

Finally, the original Supergirl was, of course, a teen-aged girl. This Kara begins her career ten years older, so, yeah, why not Superwoman? Name recognition, branding, and intellectual property considerations, I suppose.
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 10/28/15 01:07 PM
I thought it was decent, but mostly by the numbers. My kids, however, LOVED it (despite some continuity nitpicks). So I'm pretty pleased.
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 10/28/15 02:22 PM
Dave, I know what you mean about continuity. The writhers keep saying twenty-four. I do not think it means what they think it means.

This is the continuity-chronology I assume:
1979: Baby Kal-El arrives on Earth
2003: 12-year-old Kara arrives on Earth; Kal-El is twenty-four years old, and has been Superman for several years now.
2015: Kara, now twenty-four herself, begins her career as Supergirl.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 10/28/15 03:04 PM
Ummmm.

Okay, I guess i'll follow a tried and true.

The Good:

Pretty people.
Nice special effects.
Pretty set design.
Nice outdoor shots.

The Bad:

Simplistic acting and dialog. NO WOMAN talks the way the two sisters did, I am assured of this by my wife who listened and was less than impressed.

The dialog was not only written down, but a bit condescending towards the audience. Yes, it's Supergirl, but if you are going for a tweenie audience, it's still stilted and unnatural. Much the same problem I had with Flash. Yes, I know the first few eps are exposition heavy and set up. But, television is many many many decades old now. Do better.

That cheesy fucking music. "Okay, now, lets tell the audience that action is about to happen. I know, grab some fifty year old shit off the shelf, slap it in there and it'll evoke memories of Chris Reeve as Superman. That'll grab'em." Hey crew that maketh supergirl, that shit was old then, Indiana Jones should be looking for the lost tapes now.

Tooooooooo many kryptonians. Allready reminding me of Smallville.

Relatively few upskirt shots, but still a few to many.

Supercheesy villian dialog and acting. The aunt is already over the top villian-ey and she had less than three mins screen time.

Like I said, lots of pretty, not much depth. Need more fast.
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 10/28/15 03:35 PM
Well my daughter's a purist, and on top of that a Silver-age purist, so she has no time for a Danvers surname or an adopted sister, but she couldn't hide her excitement at a lot of the scenes, so I think all is forgiven.

She hasn't caught on yet that "Winn" is short for Winslow. She'll flip out over that one.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 10/28/15 10:35 PM
Sue, I agree about Calista Flockhart. I've never been a fan of hers, but on this show she's just...grotesque.
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 10/29/15 03:28 AM
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
Well my daughter's a purist, and on top of that a Silver-age purist, so she has no time for a Danvers surname or an adopted sister, but she couldn't hide her excitement at a lot of the scenes, so I think all is forgiven.

She hasn't caught on yet that "Winn" is short for Winslow. She'll flip out ove

i freaking love reading she's a silver age purist! AWESOME, however I'm glad she enjoyed!!!!!!!!
Posted By: MLLASH Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 10/29/15 03:35 AM
that crisis hppened aT all was dc having lack of faith in their fans and in their creator's abilities to sell comicbooks. the deaths of characters and worlds in that event was DC having lack of faith in their own history.

so anytime something hAppens that tells that notion to fuck off even indirectly, I CHEER.

GO SUPERGIRL GO!!!!!
Posted By: ActorLad Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 10/29/15 04:51 AM
I generally enjoyed it despite some minor quibbles.

I agree it could of used another hour for better pacing.

I didn't care for Calista as Cat but that's unsurprising as I've never been a fan of hers.

Basically Melissa Benoist's portrayal of Kara sold me on the series.
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 10/29/15 12:29 PM
I had the very lowest expectations (considering its a network, and CBS at that) but was pleasantly surprised. There are a lot of things to iron out, but Benoist as Supergirl was a pleasure to watch. The show felt fun and full of energy. I'm pleased.

Any fears I had about Jimmy are gone. His scenes were terrific.

Ps - I agree that Flockhart was the worst actor on the show. It almost felt like a parody of the "confident, beautiful woman in a position of power".
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/03/15 02:31 PM
This is from NPR / Fresh Air’s review:

“Long before she starred in Berlanti's Brothers and Sisters, Flockhart was the controversial face of new feminism on David E. Kelley's Fox comedy series Ally McBeal. And in Supergirl, essentially playing the Meryl Streep part from The Devil Wears Prada, Flockhart injects the show with some very welcome energy and fun.”

“It's OK for supervillains to be more interesting than the comic book heroes — that's been true, especially in DC Comics, ever since the first appearances of The Joker and Catwoman. But Supergirl shouldn't be less interesting than her boss at work. It's like watching Perry White steal every scene from Clark Kent.”

I feel like we were watching two different shows.
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/03/15 03:19 PM
Mainstream media loves Flockhart, especially those that grew up on Ally McBeal. There's a funny Futurama episode about how pervasive that show was, where aliens came to Earth ready to destroy it because the show was cancelled.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/03/15 04:17 PM
I didn't actually didn't think Flockhart was bad or anything, but anyone who thought she stole the show from Benoist is crazy.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/03/15 11:34 PM
I hated Ally McBeal. Whining lollipop-headed twit.

Oh, and, on topic, I missed last night's episode.
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/04/15 03:01 PM
Episode 2 continues with the steady drip-drip-drip of unsubtle Girl Power affirmations... although with what my nieces go through in Middle School subtlety is not necessarily a virtue in this cause.

What do you call the opposite of "catcalling"?
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/05/15 03:28 PM
I am liking the show despite. The second episode picked things up, now that the origin story is out of the way.

Kara is given a reason to be hesitant about using her powers, and everybody knows who Hank Henshaw is supposed to be, right? Well, he are given a couple of clues that he already is.

Still having problems with the Cat Grant character, though.

Laura Benanti is triple-cast as Lara Zor-El, her evil twin sister, Astra In-Zee, and Kara’s new holographic artificial intelligence toy. I was surprised at how wooden her acting is. She makes a pretty good computer, but as Lara and Astra she sounds like she is reading her lines for the first time.

Kara really could use that learning crystal we saw she had on Krypton, though.

I understand that Episode 10 is already in the can; I don’t know if the writers are going to explore this in a lot of detail, but the prisoners in Fort Rozz seem to be political dissidents or even terrorists from many worlds. Was Krypton the Galactic Gaoler? Was the Phantom Zone the Guantanamo Bay of Space?

We also learn the motto of the House of El: “El mayarah”, stronger together. Which in Latin would be “plus validus simul”, which is kind of disturbing.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/06/15 07:05 AM
The idea of Krypton having contact with a bunch of alien worlds and apparently convicting and sentencing criminals from those worlds seems like it could get problematic really quickly.

I mean, it sort of implies that space travel is a regular thing for the Kryptonians, which leads to the question of why a whole bunch more of them didn't survive the planet's destruction.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/07/15 03:11 PM
Logical missteps aren't that hard to find. Talking freely in the office space, giving up the one secret weapon you have against Kyptonians.... I think you're the one that said about Flash (?) the more you think about it.... Probably a bit of that here too.

Supergirl first episode is Way, WAY ahead of the general offerings of the other superhero series IMO with the exception of IZombie (and maybe Daredevil) if that's to be included. With two exceptions (Jimmy and Mom/Aunt/General/Jarvis) the actors seem to have some chemistry and acting ability though there is some of that 3 words and a breath emoting and we are reading words not talking feel to the interactions. The latter usually fixes as the first season wears on.

Dialogue also WAY ahead of the others, DC or Marvel again with exception of IZombie and probably Daredevil. The serious parts need some work but it does subtle humor particularly well I thought.

Storyline:
yeah I hear those concerns about the fast pace, but it's worked for me. Though there are aspects of the storyline that don't appeal to me, I like the pieces in place quickly. Things that might annoy me in one scene were generally quickly and reasonably explained or handled in a way I thought consistent with a character.

Characters:

Super"girl": Benoit, I think the raves on this board were justified. She can handle serious reasonably well (though that will take chemistry to build with other actors), subtle humor really well and is athletic enough to pull off scenes much better than the other superheroe actors were able to, day one. In fact I prefer her to what seemed to me a very clumsy stunt double. Is it my imagination or is she "taller" than Kara?

Kara: Her personality is a bit over the map. Started with a school girl crush, office bumbler ala Clark Kent but then "corrected" with a "I can take care of my own problems." This one on the writers, don't seem to know what they want of this character, a Clark or a Lois knock-off. I'd suggest letting the actor decide where to take Kara.

Jimmy, yeah, that ain't working. Actor is stiff in body and delivery and he's not even assigned to play Jimmy. Jimmy is not the mature reasonable one. Yet, they decided they still needed Jimmy so they made him Winn. I think Kara's sister was all the mentor she needed and they could have done without the Superman connection, though it's not a completely bad idea. If so, then it should have been someone playing the REAL Jimmy. The actor has a lot of experience so it surprises me he can't play this role. Like Kara, I think they felt they needed the character but don't really know what they want it to be. They could have done without this character, it adds nothing but since it is here, again like Kara, probably best if they let the actor find it, but it's not going to be Jimmy.

Scooby Gang/Winn/Robot Mom: completely unnessesary other than Winn should have been Jimmy. Robot Mom is just creepy and in general I found all four roles by that actor to be stiffly delivered as if reading off the teleprompter. General was best so there's that.

Henshaw I find to be the best of the bunch, acting wise.

Cat Grant/ Lockhart. I'm missing on the complaints here. Yes this is Prada (though Cat came first, right?). Lockhart is doing great balancing the over-the-top with the "Stupid-couldn't create a company like this" as far as I can tell and at least she can deliver an entire line without a pause and has body skills.
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/07/15 08:57 PM
Following in the successful footsteps of Flash and Arrow, Supergirl works with a “team” on all her assignments—two teams, in fact: Winn and James, and Alex and Hank.

But, as on Flash and Arrow, not everyone is as they first appear. Winn is not who he seems to be. Hank is hiding a secret, already hinted at. And Alex does have “Lex” in her name.

This James Olson is not the comic-relief Jimmy. Superman has been around for at least fifteen years, and so James must be at least pushing thirty. He, too, may be hiding a secret. Perhaps he is, in fact, not James Olson at all, but some sort of alien, shape-shifting Elastic Lad!

I hope he does outgrow his role as the show’s official mansplainer.

Lots of people like Cat Flockhart. To me, her go-to haughty face does not say “wealthy superiority complex”, but “why did my agent sign me up for this show?” Calista Flockhart does not seem to like Cat Grant. She reminds me of Bill Murray, who is always wink-winking at the camera from behind the mask.

The character itself does not make a lot of sense. How can Cat and CWM be both rich, phenomenally successful, and also broke? As demonstrated by Trump, bankruptcy is merely a strategy in big business.

And why did we not see this bit of dialog?

Cat: “Get your pal Superman to line me up an interview with Supergirl, or you’re fired.”

James: “Well, golly Ms. Grant, I guess this position is just now working out for the two of us. I guess I will just have to take my Pulitzer and decade of experience as a famous and respected photojournalist, and see if I can find work somewhere else.”
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/07/15 09:10 PM
The problem I have with Jimmy is that he's obviously there to provide the connection to Superman, but it makes it even more ridiculous that Superman himself doesn't show up.

Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/07/15 11:18 AM
Just wait a couple of days.

Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/07/15 04:15 PM
I think he's there to be man-candy, a business decision not a story decision. That aside, he's an experienced actor told to play an ICONIC character differently than that character was built. It's unfair to the character, the story and the actor.

I can easily buy into patience as Sue Pergirl indicates because several times already I was disappointed by a characterization just to have it "made sense of" within the story soon after. Winn not what he seems? That one catches me by surprise.

Some cool moments:

Fluffy
Henshaw Eyes
Jimmy's very last bit of dialogue in ep one, the only time I found him credible.
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/07/15 05:47 PM
MT Fluffy is the best girl-power segment in the show so far.
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/09/15 04:43 PM
The good news is, Season One has finished filming. Thirteen episodes for sure!

The other good news is that DC is fast-tracking a new Supergirl comic to replace the one they just cancelled six months ago.

The bad news is demographics: Supergirl fans are OLD! Half the viewership is over sixty years old! I guess there are a lot more Jeb Bushes in the world than comic-book-interested Girl Scouts.

frown
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/09/15 04:43 PM
Wow. I made an emoji. I didn't know I could do that here.
Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/09/15 04:48 PM
We've got a ton of them, all beautifully done:

Supergirl
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/09/15 10:27 PM
So wanted to scream "Heat vision can't melt lead!" at the tv tonight! wink
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/10/15 05:33 PM
Heat vision can't melt lead? Why not?

Lead can't stop a nuclear explosion, that's what I wanted to yell.

Enjoyed the episode. Sometimes conversations with Grant, which seem to be there to "define" Supergirl, fall flat but the one's with Sis seem to go great, that's my take. Scooby gang, still not buying.

Benoist making a great Supergirl and Kara.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/10/15 05:45 PM
Originally, heat vision was an application of x-ray vision, so it wouldn't work on lead because his x-ray vision wouldn't work on lead. Yeah, I know it doesn't make much sense, but it's a Silver Age thing. smile
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/10/15 11:02 PM
This show is getting more like Flash each week. I enjoy it... but I have to turn off my brain.

Everybody needs to learn what the "secret" in secret identity means. Blurting out identities in the office? On social media? Why not just publish it in Catco magazine?

And why can't Superman beat Reactron? Green Arrow could beat Reactron.

Humming... humming... humming...
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/11/15 08:37 PM
Wasn't the Golden Age Superman able to melt lead with his X-ray vision?

The Byrne Superman didn't have heat vision at all, but had some kind of psychic control over heat. His eyes glowed red when he did it, though. I don't think he had the lead weakness either.

But obviously, look at the thing Kara melted. It was obviously lead plated with copper. Look at the color! So her heat vision melted the copper, and the copper melted the lead.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/12/15 10:35 PM
I'm looking forward to the cross-over when Cat Grant meets Felicity's Mom.
Posted By: ActorLad Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/15/15 07:19 PM
Not sure if y'all heard yet but the episode that was originally going to air tomorrow got switched with a later one in light of the Paris attacks.
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/17/15 08:57 AM
Well Livewire sure had a lot of plot. Everybody's secrets are beginning to come out.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/17/15 05:50 PM
Some well delivered snappy dialogue, easily my favorite of the Superman line of tv. Good villain. Still don't get complaints about Cat/Flockhart except that maybe she's showing her human side a bit too quickly. I think Flockhart is nailing it. In general Supergirl has avoided the hire a model and give them a couple years to learn to act problem plaguing the other super shows. Everyone here and the actors of the week can act.

Seeing potential in the Supergirl as a girl flashbacks.

Some things I'm over though

- save this city.
- every guy in an alley is a rapist.
- school girl crush on the guy that talks to her like he's her father, while other guy mopes from afar trope.
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/18/15 09:23 PM
Yeah, I am not liking the James Olsen as super-mansplainer on this show.
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/18/15 10:15 PM
None of my kids are interested in "James" getting with Kara. They think he should just be there to help. On the other hand, now that they know "Winn" is the Toyman in the comics, they don't trust him at all.

Posted By: Fanfic Lady Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/18/15 10:19 PM
Sounds like a Winn-Winn situation.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. blush

TBH, I've all but given up on this show. None of the DC superhero TV shows have been my cup of tea.
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/18/15 10:36 PM
None of my kids are interested in "James" getting with Kara. They think he should just be there to help. On the other hand, now that they know "Winn" is the Toyman in the comics, they don't trust him at all.

I don't think so.

In Monday's episode, Winn said he had nowhere to go for Thankgiving, because his father was in jail. Kara commiserated, and Winn said, No, its alright, he's a very bad man.

I think Winston Schott Senior is the Toyman, and a very bad version of the Toyman at that. Like maybe the murdering pedophile version.

Plus, the more I think about it, the more I want to see Clark show up just once-- not Superman, but Clark. Played by Brandon Routh. Maybe in a Supergirl-Legends of Tomorrow crossover with Brandon Routh as the Atom.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/19/15 10:09 PM
Clark, great idea. Not so needy to see Supes but Clark could be fun.
Posted By: ActorLad Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/25/15 04:41 PM
While the character of Cat is being written slightly better than the earlier episodes I'm still not a fan of Calista's portrayal.
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/26/15 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by ActorLad
While the character of Cat is being written slightly better than the earlier episodes I'm still not a fan of Calista's portrayal.

That last episode really didn't resolve well. How on Earth was Kara NOT fired? There wasn't anything that informed the scene where Cat decides to keep her around, other than to maintain status quo.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/26/15 12:52 PM
Supergirl sponsored by Smirnof (what were they thinking)

Because Cat is the nice person putting on the walls and barriers persona. Been sort of obvious a bit too early in the series, I thought they'd play her the bad guy for a bit longer. I think Flockart is nailing it, particularly the switch between hard-azz and mentor mid-dialogue. She really does root for her employees. Her "underlings" respect her. They are not shown sitting around bad mouthing her, they are in awe of her. She's a strong, positive character. I don't think this is the Cat from the comics anymore than it is the Jimmy Olsen.

Like the Jimmy character, Cat probably would have played better under most any other name.

I think my favorite character is shaping up to be Alex. I like the DEO in general.

Disappointed to see such low fan ratings though. Of the network superhero shows, I feel this is the only one that even remotely gives me reason to use my brain. Has the best acting IMO. Suffers some of the same credibility issues on super-bad-guy plot contrivances and probably the worse set of super-foes but the other character dynamics and hints at motivation are much better.

Posted By: Elvar Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/26/15 06:21 PM
Looks like Flash and crew may be coming to Supergirl for a visit http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11...sually-have-about-22-episodes-per-seaso/ Some Constantine news as well http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11...17-as-they-switch-cast-with-each-season/
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 11/26/15 09:49 PM
I see the latest ad for the Flash-Arrow cross-over mimics that race but Supergirl-Flash is the obvious place for it. They're going to way over-do the iconic imitations if they don't get theirselves coordinated.
Posted By: ActorLad Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 12/01/15 02:20 AM
That rumor has already been debunked:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/flash-supergirl-ep-dismisses-crossover-rumors
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 12/02/15 09:13 AM
I have to agree with those on the internet who say that Supergirl's villains of the week are pretty lame, both in appearance and abilities.

Supergirl is more about the soap opera. But her ongoing villains, Maxwell Lord, Auntie Astra, Toyman, and Hank Henshaw, are much more interesting.

Does Kara have enough mentors? Henshaw, Olsen, Grant, Schott, and Alex are all giving her advice, every episode. Sometimes conflicting advice.

I am beginning to suspect that Henshaw will turn out not to be Cyborg Superman, but J'onn J'onzz. Solely based on the glowy red eyes.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 12/05/15 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by ActorLad

I don't know of any rumors, I think the reporter was just asking if it was in the cards? The part of the response I liked best was that it wasn't ruled out as a possibility because I think it would be the best of them.

Enjoyed this week's Supergirl and IMO, the acting just keeps getting stronger and the actors are given opportunities to stretch and some of the visuals are stunning. None of the other shows have to show mid-air fighting and it's quite smoothly done here.

I compare Benoit's ability to do the physical stuff to the new Hawkgirl (who I also like) and she's way ahead on that game, male or female and she doesn't have to roid and have stereotyped kung-fu skills to do it.

Can't see many of the other shows pulling off what they do here in the way of personal and interpersonal conflicts but agree with Sue Pergirl that the villains are a bit weak, same thing I mentioned also a few eps ago. But then, same goes in the books from my observation.

I really hope this grabs an audience.
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 12/08/15 09:45 PM
HA!
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 12/08/15 11:08 PM
Yeah, got a fan-boy woody.

"The save" was corny and manufactured but totally a Jimmy Olsen save so it was good.

Posted By: Myg - Andy S Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 12/13/15 09:09 AM
Just playing catch-up on the show...

I find Cat Grant growing from my initial impression

Her sidekick with unrequited love is annoying. I get that every show has to have some kind of hacker savant but it's a reach -- and he seems to be more hacker-y as the series progresses.

Hank Henshaw came out of nowhere (to me anyway). I'm completely caught on the reveal and can't wait to see what happens.

I do agree that she has a lot of people telling her what to do. And that they could spend more time on her social dynamics than the monster-of-the-week.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 12/13/15 05:40 PM
A guy with those skills at a side desk of a publishing house doesn't wash. They did kind of force him in there. They forced themselves into this with the whole "James Olsen" misstep.

I choke saying it, but Arrow is doing this trope much better, tech guy/really super being. Curtis, the new tech guy is witty, believable, shares space well with Felicity and most importantly, not over the top. Of all the Scooby tech guys (Agents, Flash, Supergirl), he's by far the best. Be interesting to see how they all do portraying their eventual alter egos but I can't see the others keeping up.
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 12/19/15 12:57 PM
I kind of hesitate to post anything here, because I’m not sure what is spoilerish or not. A lot of people seem to be waiting to see these episodes.

But with Supergirl on hiatus, I just wanted to recap the villains-of-the-week so far:

Episode 1: Vartox, who actually looks more like The Persuader. He even has a literal atomic axe. Deceased.

Episode 2: Hellgrammite. Not Roderick Rose, but an alien from the planet of the Hellgrammites. Deceased. Special guest villain: Aunt Astra.

Episode 3: Reactron. Deceased.

Episode 4: Livewire, actually MT the best villain so far, excluding the “big two”.

Episode 5: Ethan Knox, the mad bomber. Deceased. Special guest villain: Maxwell Lord.

Episode 6: Red Tornado (melted / disintegrated) and Dr. Thomas Morrow (deceased). Special guest villain: General Sam Lane.

Episode 7: Kara is de-powered, and distracted by an earthquake. So it’s Jemm vs. Martian Manhunter.

Episode 8: Aunt Astra and Uncle Non, and the Legion of Phantom Zone Criminals, including what looks like one from Carggg.

Plus, waiting in the wings, Winn refers to his father-in-prison, "a very bad man", in the Thanksgiving episode. Toyman!

See you in 2016! Super New Year!
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 12/19/15 07:52 PM
Re Villains: none have really had opportunity to get their legs. Flash did more with the 5 seconds of King Shark than Supergirl has managed with most of the villains. The most glaring, IMO

Red Tornado. Though I'm sure they will bring him back, they should have gave people reason to want him to come back. There was empathy to be had, left on the table.

Silver Banshee has been in the solicits. Excited? I don't know the character.
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 12/19/15 10:17 PM
MT the only real effort that's being put into developing villains is with Aunt Astra and Maxwell Lord, who Kara should really just lobotomize with her heat vision and get it over with, but won't. Everyone else is one-shot cannon fodder.

No Supergirl-equivalents of Flash's Captain Cold, Heat Wave, or Trickster.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 12/20/15 01:35 PM
It's the old, too powerful conundrum. Her best villains are going to be those she can't punch out for whatever reason. The scheming, long haul kind of villain is about all that can work other than for the occasional comfort food of a punch-out.

I don't know much about Lord in the comic books other than he had something to do with that pre-52 stuff didn't he?

The actor playing Lord has a good personality IMO. He plays him self-centered enough to not be concerned what a Supergirl could do to him but charming enough to come off as "for the people."
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 12/22/15 09:59 AM
More than you want to know about Max is all on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell_Lord

He began as a vile villain, then progressed to completely over-the-top evil. DC's answer to the Jessica Jones's Purple Man.
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 01/22/16 10:26 PM
http://io9.gizmodo.com/legends-of-tomorrow-is-the-most-comic-book-tv-show-ive-1754514019

I found Episode One of Legends of Tomorrow pretty slow for my taste.

"the most comic book tv show"?

Supergirl fought Toyman this week! Also flight lessons with Martian Manhunter. Also he's calling himself Martian Manhunter now. Also Lucy Lane. Also evil General Sam Lane. Also Blake Jenner as Adam Grant! Also they are teasing Bizarro Girl. And white Martians coming soon! How much more comic book does a tv show have to get?

Not spoilers. Previews.
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 02/04/16 09:13 AM
For those (like me) who still care:

http://news.yahoo.com/breaking-news-cws-the-flash-to-crossover-with-200452586.html

Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 02/04/16 09:55 AM
The super-cool theory I read is that it will be revealed that the shows don't actually take place within the same universe, but instead within the same multiverse!
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 02/04/16 10:03 AM
Yeah, it's not a stretch since Barry will supposedly already be jumping to Earth-2 (if he hasn't, I'm behind). A jump to Earth-CBS could totally be in the cards.
Posted By: Elvar Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 02/04/16 03:31 PM
In a cut scene from the Flash pilot http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/watch-deleted-the-flash-scene-hints-at-superman-aquaman both Superman and Aquaman are referenced but it makes it seem like Superman is just starting out. Legends of Tomorrow pilot also has Vandal Savage referencing Batman (Dark Knight) and Superman (Man of Steel). The explosion at STAR Labs happened 2 years ago making it possible that Superman has been active 2 years in the Arrowverse and it's known Superman is an alien not a meta keeping him off Barry's radar so its possible they all exist in the same universe.
Posted By: Elvar Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 02/09/16 09:49 PM
Spoilers from the latest Flash
Images of the Multiverse are seen as Flash travels to Earth 2 which consist of a future Arrow possibly Connor, 1990s Flash, current Supergirl, Jonah Hex, Gorilla Grodd? and the Legion of Super-Heroes
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 02/22/16 10:31 PM
So, according to the latest "Supergirl," Starhaven has been established! (and it smells like cinnamon) It's a huge swing and a miss that the guy from Starhaven didn't have wings and wasn't even of Amerind descent. frown

But still...
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 03/15/16 01:27 PM
And now we have a Khund! (pronounced ka-hund - interesting) He had an eye-piece thing like Firefist...
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 03/15/16 01:31 PM
Man, I need to get caught up on this show!
Posted By: kenaustin Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 03/16/16 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by DrakeB3004
And now we have a Khund! (pronounced ka-hund - interesting)...

I figured they pronounced it that way because on TV it would sound too much like C**t. The Million Moms group is already on them about Lucifer...no need to add more fuel.
smile
Posted By: rokk steady Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 03/22/16 05:15 PM
Supergirl just keeps getting better and better. The episode from a couple of weeks ago where Supergirl suffers from exposure to red kryptonite shook up a lot of the status quo on the series, and I'm liking what I'm watching.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 03/22/16 05:26 PM
Caught up on the last three episodes last night, and, yeah, it's definitely getting more interesting now that it's willing to shake up some of the status quo it has set up. Particularly interested in where they are going with the whole Project Cadmus/On the Run stuff.

Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 03/22/16 05:43 PM
I think it's getting stronger and stronger, overall. My only caveats with last night's episode involved the Dean Cain/Jeremiah Danvers flashbacks. They just seemed a bit too black and white and the real Henshaw a total douche. Plus, rescued from a snake? Really?

I'm excited as hell for next week's Flash crossover! nod
Posted By: rokk steady Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 03/24/16 06:54 PM
Me too!!! Flash and Supergirl, yeah!!!

I am also eager to see where they take Hank/J'onn and Alex after this week's episode and the Cadmus reveal.

But Lucy Lane, director of the DEO? Wasn't she CatCo's general counsel last week? Hahahaha. I'm a little underwhelmed by Jenna Dewan Tatum in general, but I guess she could provide some love triangle friction with Kara and Jimmy. And at least she appeared cooperative at the end of the ep, rather than antagonistic to Kara.

Haven't seen Non in awhile.
Posted By: Klar Ken T5477 Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 03/26/16 09:04 AM
When Supergirl turns evil, she doesn't really turn very evil.

Red Kryptonite gives her only a slightly better fashion sense, makes her a tiny bit more assertive, dampens down the martyr complex, makes her somewhat more truthful, and causes her to want a little more "me time", and some support and recognition from her friends and co-workers, who usually just dump their * on her...

Oh, for the good old days, when Red K only aged Supergirl twenty years, or gave her two heads...
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 03/28/16 09:17 PM
Wow! That Supergirl/Flash crossover was awesome!

Posted By: rokk steady Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 03/29/16 12:36 PM
Yay! I didn't see it last night, will view tonight.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 03/29/16 12:53 PM
I wonder if they intentionally planned for it as kind of counter-programming for Batman v Superman, because it seems like almost the spiritual opposite of it (based on what I gather from reviews of the movie)?

Posted By: rokk steady Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 03/29/16 01:55 PM
Well, now I'm looking forward to tonight's viewing even more. smile
Posted By: rokk steady Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 03/30/16 12:35 PM
EDE, I think it MUST have been the counter-programming you refer to above, because that was a lot of fun! I like that they didn't have to fight first, haha. Supergirl and Flash are super-heroes!, not super-conflicted-gritty-angstoids.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 03/30/16 07:46 PM
I loved it, with the caveat that I wish Flash/Barry got more screen time. I get that this is Kara's series, and the story should center around her. But it still feels he got short shrift somewhat which is underlined by his being pretty much knocked out of both big fights.

But every second of Kara and Barry that we DID get was absolute GOLD! nod
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 03/30/16 07:52 PM
Yeah, the major complaint that I had was that it really should've been a two-parter!

Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 03/31/16 07:01 AM
It was fun, but there were a few flaws:

- Barry's a smart guy (Team Science), but he's never been shown as the tech genius, so how did he whip up the Pied Piper/Silver Banshee resistant earplugs?

- I get for story purposes why the fight ended the way it did (Restoring the public's faith, etc.), but it was kind of odd that not only was Flash a little useless to the resolution, they also didn't really use any teamwork between the two heroes at all.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 03/31/16 09:07 AM

- Barry's a smart guy (Team Science), but he's never been shown as the tech genius, so how did he whip up the Pied Piper/Silver Banshee resistant earplugs?

I thought he was just building them based on Cisco's design?

Anyway, I actually thought it was cool to get see Barry be all science-y since that always seems to minimized on his own show, since he's got the whole S.T.A.R. Labs crew to do that for him.

Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 03/31/16 11:19 AM
I loved it. A ton of fun and I was smiling most of the time. The scene with Kara and Barry were pure gold as Lardy says.

I'm not following Supergirl really, but this definitely made rethink that.
Posted By: Myg - Andy S Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 04/03/16 11:48 AM
Barry was SO good in this crossover. He actually shines bright in the crossovers (with Arrow and now S-Girl) brighter for me than he does in his own series. Maybe it's the difference between him and the other heroes?

I thought that Live Wire got short shrift too. Soooooo maybe cut down on one villain and provide more space for Barry?

Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 04/03/16 01:01 PM
Yeah, I think Barry tends to come off angstier in his own series than in crossovers.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 04/03/16 01:35 PM
I think he just really contrasts with Oliver. Also, his show HAS had some pretty heavy season arcs! But it was cute to have him with another bubbly hero like Kara. I almost wish they would date!
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 04/12/16 11:44 AM
I agree that this was a super-FUN crossover! A serious counterpoint to "BvS." I mean, look at that hug between Kara and Barry at the end! I like that they didn't just team up, they became super-friends! They were as excited about the teamup as the audience! wink

Seeing them together though just made me think that these were the two most prominent heroes to die in the original "Crisis." (which has already been established in "The Flash" so... future crossover!?! Seems only fair for Supergirl to pop over to the CW... (oh, and Cat's joke about the CW was the best laugh of the ep!))
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 04/12/16 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by DrakeB3004

Seeing them together though just made me think that these were the two most prominent heroes to die in the original "Crisis." (which has already been established in "The Flash" so... future crossover!?! )

Wow! I hadn't thought of that! ElasticLad
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 04/18/16 07:51 PM
Loved the show at the beginning and the cross-over but if it can survive these last two or three, it's pretty much bullet proof.

Even the ending: scenes communicating with Superman went so fast, couldn't even read them and NO ONE gets promoted from an office with windows to one without. Just saying.

Oops and right after I write that....
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 04/20/16 09:02 AM
Ha ha! The Parliament of Supergirls!

Melissa Benoist, Helen Slater, and Laura Vandervoort all together in the same episode!

And who is in the pod? Since Warner is allowing Supergirl to use the B-List discarded characters who will not be in the Justice League movies, I am betting on Krypto.

Meanwhile the show continues to get better looking every episode, and the ratings share continues to decline.

The finale scored less than half the viewers of the premiere, and there was only the tiniest bump for "World's Finest".
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 04/20/16 10:29 AM
I'm hoping it's a show that does well on second run & video so it picks up ratings for the 2nd season. My kids really dig it.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 04/20/16 11:44 AM
It really should be on the CW, where the rating would be much safer.

Krypto would be awesome, but probably difficult to do.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 04/20/16 03:47 PM
Supergirl's best bad guys are human yet they seem to want to shove this Kryptonian stuff down the throats. I don't recall that working in the books?

Non, Aunt, Mom, I've pretty much wanted all of them to go away, that attempt at drama just failed. DEO, Cadmus, Lane, there are plenty of long term possiblities with maybe a building otherworldly threat that has nothing to do with Krypton. Could even be one of the classics like Mongul.

The Rocket Ship: articles reading Kypro, but then her reaction would come off fake IMO. Whose face wouldn't brighten up at a puppy? I wouldn't mind Kyrpto, could be fun but I think unpopuler with the comibook crowd?

I was thinking it might be a Supergirl from a different 52, maybe even the Crisis Supergirl.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 04/25/16 09:02 PM
Yeah, so I'm thinking the ship contains a Chris Kent-type character, probably the child of Astra and Non.

It would kind of allow Kara to fulfill her original purpose in coming to Earth (protecting her young male cousin), but in an unexpected way.
Posted By: Myg - Andy S Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 04/25/16 09:23 PM
Wow - surprising to hear about the lack of ratings. I assumed the show was doing well with the PR machine behind its launch.

I think it's Matrix in the ship
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 04/25/16 11:30 PM
Other guesses for what's in the pod I've seen around the internet:

Streaky.
Baby Clark #2.
Alura Zor-El.
Power Girl, or some other Supergirl from some other continuity.
Zod.
Kandor.
Brainiac 5.
Mon-el.
Doomsday
It's Alex, and she's dead, and the happy family celebration at the end of the episode was all a dream.

My theory is the writers don't know yet. They're just going to read the internet comments and pick the best idea.
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 05/05/16 08:44 AM
This is why you can't have nice things:

(Supergirl renewal hinges on lower budget to be more in line with ratings...)

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/supergirl-renewal-hinged-budget-talks-move-cw-possible
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 05/05/16 09:19 AM
I have no problem with people voting with their feet.

I think a low-budget, low-special-effects Supergirl would kill the show; it might run out a second season.

I enjoyed the show for the year it was on; it lasted longer than I expected. Ideally, a TV show will increase in ratings as the episodes progress... completely the opposite with Supergirl.

Even the cross-company appearance by The Flash didn't really help.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 05/05/16 09:08 PM
They took what worked badly in the comics and put it on the tube, no surprises here. A shame because the lead really sells both personalities of the character, IMO. Cat Grant is a winner as is the EARTH family but the villains and the scoobies were both poorly conceived and poorly acted, again,IMO.

A first season with a sense of wonder, of letting the characters actually enjoy themselves, story arcs around all of the major players with maybe hints of a bigger menace would have made this a whole lot more enjoyable first season for me. Saving the snake, that was the show direction they needed. Develope the backstoriesof the supporting cast. Budding relationships with friends and maybe a nice fireman love interest would have been nice, not a love triangle (quadrangle) with iconic characters known as friends.

Lower budget might be just the thing to get the writers to focus on the characters but I'm afraid what they'll provide instead is more bad acting in halloween costumes.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 05/07/16 07:37 AM
I just saw an article saying the show is in negotiations to move to CW cause it isn't cutting the mustard on CBS.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 05/12/16 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
It really should be on the CW, where the rating would be much safer.

Krypto would be awesome, but probably difficult to do.
Originally Posted by rickshaw1
I just saw an article saying the show is in negotiations to move to CW cause it isn't cutting the mustard on CBS.

It's a done deal as of today's announcement. Kara will be with all the other CW DC heroes starting in season two.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 05/12/16 07:27 PM
Here's a story the story in Variety.
Posted By: Reboot Re: Supergirl coming to CW! - 05/12/16 08:02 PM
It's a done deal as of today's announcement. Kara will be with all the other CW DC heroes starting in season two.

Wonder if they're regretting having established it as an alternate universe now...
Posted By: Sue Pergirl Re: Supergirl coming to CW! - 05/12/16 09:28 PM
CW Flash changes universes like Barry changes his socks, so I don't think it's a big deal. "Oh, look, here's the Supergirl from Earth-1, just like the Supergirl I met on Earth-CBS."

Remember that technically, Animal Girl Vixen also exists in the CW Superhero Universe.

And now we need to see a Green Arrow vs. Martian Manhunter that recapitulates Batman vs. Superman. Didn't they used to have a comic book together, kind of a minor-league World's Finest?
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: Supergirl coming to CW! - 05/14/16 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by Sue Pergirl
CW Flash changes universes like Barry changes his socks, so I don't think it's a big deal. "Oh, look, here's the Supergirl from Earth-1, just like the Supergirl I met on Earth-CBS."

Remember that technically, Animal Girl Vixen also exists in the CW Superhero Universe.

And now we need to see a Green Arrow vs. Martian Manhunter that recapitulates Batman vs. Superman. Didn't they used to have a comic book together, kind of a minor-league World's Finest?

I don't see CW's Ollie and this J'onn as having the same dynamic - this J'onn's way too pragmatic. Ollie/Kara seems to me to provide more of that contrast.

Although, we can now have Vibe, Vixen and J'onn together! That's half of JLDetroit!!
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl coming to CW! - 05/15/16 07:48 PM
I do hope they work out the kinks, find an appealing story, some interesting bad-guys and an audience. For the most part, I like the character and the actor playing Supergirl. I think they've got the makings of the right setting, particularly with the DEA (DEO?). They can ditch the "save my city" theme for all I care. Can't stand that.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Supergirl coming to CW! - 05/15/16 07:54 PM
Melissa Benoist is probably the best casting in any of these shows.

My guess is they'll do a 12-13 episode season rather than a full 20 episodes. Probably it in the fall and LoT in the spring, or vice-versa.
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Supergirl coming to CW! - 05/16/16 08:57 AM
With the move comes the obvious question about budget. It's almost definitely slashed, and that most assuredly means a move to Vancouver. I suspect Flockhart will bow out both due to salary and a location switch.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Supergirl coming to CW! - 05/16/16 06:16 PM
I suspect Flockhart will bow out both due to salary and a location switch.

That would be a shame. her portrayal of Cat Grant really grew on me.

Originally Posted by Reboot

Wonder if they're regretting having established it as an alternate universe now...

Well, they could always use that rocket cliffhanger to somehow show it contained a wormhole to the Flash/Arrow-verse that magically merges the two realities! grin
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl coming to CW! - 05/16/16 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Paladin
I suspect Flockhart will bow out both due to salary and a location switch.

That would be a shame. her portrayal of Cat Grant really grew on me.

The name dropping has been a fun bit. I like to at least imagine that it has a fourth wall aspect. It's reasonable that Flockhart might actually hang out with some of those people Cat Grant names/disparages/slanders.

Merging of the universes: I guess I don't like their track record with anything difficult. I would hope they don't try this. Would it be a stretch to say she's in Jay Garett's Universe?
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Supergirl coming to CW! - 05/16/16 08:32 PM
Yeah, I think merging the universes would be a mess, and totally unnecessary.

Didn't she name drop Harrison Ford one time? I remember being amusing, but I can't remember the details.
Posted By: Reboot Re: Supergirl coming to CW! - 05/16/16 10:39 PM
My guess is they'll do a 12-13 episode season rather than a full 20 episodes. Probably it in the fall and LoT in the spring, or vice-versa.

http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/05/12/supergirl-season-2-gets-22-episodes-relocates-to-vancouver/
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl coming to CW! - 05/18/16 06:50 PM
Yeah, I think merging the universes would be a mess, and totally unnecessary.

Didn't she name drop Harrison Ford one time? I remember being amusing, but I can't remember the details.

In the "I can't be the only one" category of curiosity, I google "cat grant name dropping."

Yep,

Call him, tell him "I'm flattered but once and for all, I don't date older men." laugh
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Supergirl coming to CW! - 05/18/16 06:51 PM
I knew I got a chuckle out of it!
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl coming to CW! - 05/18/16 06:56 PM
The move to CW might won't hurt Supergirl so badly. The cgi superhero action on The Flash has been the best of the speedsters, be they Marvel or DC, tv or movie. In my opinion of course. They're real "comic-booky" and use all the space instead of just running on ground. Looks cool!

Maybe they can keep a Cat Grant spin-off on CBS and .... no, impractical. Would be a nice "Marvel's" touch, a Cat Grant spin-off, living with superheroes but never actually seeing superheroes, just their affects and after affects.

Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: Supergirl coming to CW! - 05/22/16 11:29 PM
As long as the characters and the tone remain consistent, I don't think the move to the CW will harm the show too much. There might be a few more battles during the night or inside abandoned factories, but I can accept that.
Posted By: Lightning Lad Re: Supergirl coming to CBS! - 05/23/16 12:53 AM
Since Flockhart lives in LA they think Cat may have a reduced role or be written out since production will move to Vancouver.

http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/05/19/supergirls-calista-flockhart-may-not-return-as-series-regular/
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl coming to CW! - 05/24/16 05:30 PM
There's one thing they HAVE to make happen for me. Cat Grant meets Felicity's Mom.
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: Supergirl coming to CW! - 06/08/16 02:40 PM
Casting notice for Supergirl s2:
".... the comics-inspired Maggie, an out and proud detective for the newly formed Science Police, which deals specifically with metahuman and alien threats."
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl coming to CW! - 06/08/16 03:35 PM
They're having a bit of difficulty juggling the components they have to be adding a "Science Police." Would be great as a means to introduce them and spin it off but I wouldn't want too much emphasis, they already have the DEA and the Scoobies. Sci-Police has much more potential than that traveling time show IMO but not in Supergirl.
Posted By: Georgehaze Mon-El on Supergirl? - 07/26/16 07:57 AM
Syfy's "Blastr" is floating the following rumor...l. or is it?

http://www.blastr.com/2016-7-25/mystery-character-who-crash-landed-end-supergirl-season-1
Posted By: Reboot Re: Mon-El on Supergirl? - 07/26/16 11:44 AM
If you actually click through to the Bleeding Cool link they use as the basis, it's pure speculation. Plausible enough, to be fair, but speculation nonetheless.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Mon-El on Supergirl? - 07/26/16 12:18 PM
How many love interests is she going to have?
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Mon-El on Supergirl? - 07/26/16 03:02 PM
She still needs a merboy, and alien from the future, and a guy who is secretly also her horse!
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Mon-El on Supergirl? - 07/26/16 06:16 PM
She still needs a merboy, and alien from the future, and a guy who is secretly also her horse!

...and let's not forget her super-cousin himself! lol
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Mon-El on Supergirl? - 07/27/16 08:22 PM
Really? Ewww.
Posted By: Director Lad Re: Mon-El on Supergirl? - 07/30/16 03:08 PM
Based on the description of the crash, it could just as easily be Dev-em.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Mon-El on Supergirl? - 07/30/16 03:33 PM
True, though Dev-Em may be unlikely due to his inclusion in the Krypton pilot.
Posted By: Reboot Re: Mon-El on Supergirl? - 07/30/16 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Blockade Boy
Really? Ewww.

Yeah, well we all know it's only the customs of a dead world that are stopping him...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Mon-El on Supergirl? - 07/30/16 06:20 PM
He hit it.
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 08/11/16 02:41 PM
SPOILERS FOR WHO EMERGES FROM THE POD:

xxxxx on "Supergirl"
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 08/11/16 03:22 PM
So Supergirl wins the drama of putting him in the phantom zone: bet.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 08/11/16 03:23 PM
Ooh Ooh, how will they

pronounce his name?
Posted By: Reboot Re: Mon-El on Supergirl - 08/11/16 05:03 PM
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/08...l-to-join-forces-in-a-musical-crossover/

Returning to Supergirl, Christopher Wood will join the show as Mon-El, the Daxamite traveler with a habit of locking himself in pods and getting trapped in Phantom Zones.
Posted By: Power Boy Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 08/19/16 05:58 PM
So ... Linda Carter still looks great. Wonder Woman poses with Supergirl, Carter to be President on Season 2
Posted By: Reboot Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 08/19/16 10:45 PM
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/08...e-in-flashpoint-and-other-dc-tv-rumours/
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 10/18/16 01:20 AM
So, as anticipated since the show was announced to switch filming to Canada, Cat Grant exited the show with Monday's episode. There's room for her to return, but any such reappearances would likely be few and far between.

It's a shame. Though many found Calista Flockhart's performance to be cliched or overly cold when the show started, I certainly feel that her presence became one of the highlights over time. But I must admit that the way it was executed was very well done. And a larger story purpose to her departure in regards to Kara's character development is apparent and feels natural. Kara loses a teacher who pushed her to be the best she could be professionally and must now stand on her own two feet.

Judging by these first two episodes of the new season, any fears I may have had about the show moving to the CW have been allayed. Adding the delightful addition and portrayal of Kara's Super-cousin to the mix, Supergirl looks to be the best and brightest of the four CW "Arrowverse" series at this point.
Yeah, Supergirl is definitely the strongest Arrowverse series so far this season.

Mon-El introduced himself as "Mon-El" last episode, and it appears that he left Daxam after the destruction of Krypton, so it's unclear how they are going to explain the name.
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 11/13/16 11:46 AM
I've been having a tough time with this season... I really enjoyed the first season, but, with Cat's departure and the rapid-fire introduction of new characters, Supergirl is getting little more to do than react... While I'm glad Kara is feeling more confident, there's way too many sequences of her being knocked on her ass after rushing into a situation without thinking... the alien population in National City has also exploded to a distracting degree -- similar to the number of metahumans on Flash and vigilantes on Arrow... the fanboy in me loves seeing all of the live-action versions of some beloved characters, like Mon-El, but a little restraint couldn't hurt...
So... we're certainly getting a very non-traditional take on Mon-El, but I'm kind of enjoying it. They seem to have borrowed from Halk Kar as well, with Daxam being in the same system as Krypton and Daxamites being less powerful.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 12/06/16 11:31 PM
He does have a lead "allergy."

He's had some hurmous scenes, I like the actor but I can't in anyway say the tv version's backstory is even remotely interesting. I imagine they're to build up the love interest so as to make us all cry when they banish him into the zone. I think their mandated to go the trope route.

Not their best cross-over IMO. There were good bits but some really bad bits too. Still enjoyed it though.
I’m way behind in all the DC shows but how could I not get excited about this synopsis:

SUPERGIRL
“Legion of Superheroes” — (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, V) (HDTV)

MEET THE LEGION – Struggling to heal from her injuries inflicted by Reign (Odette Annable), Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) remains in a dreamlike state, unable to be reached. Mon-El (Chris Wood) recruits one of the Legion members, Brainiac-5 (guest star Jesse Rath), to try to bring her back. Meanwhile, Reign continues her rampage on the city so the DEO teams up with the Legion of Superheroes to try to stop her. Jesse Warn directed the episode written by Derek Simon & Eric Carrasco (#310). Original airdate 1/15/18.

When asked about the timing of the Legion’s arrival, former executive producer Andrew Kreisberg said, “Supergirl is about to face her greatest nemesis in the three years that we’ve been doing the show — we feel that Reign is the best villain we’ve ever had — so it’s going to take all the allies that she can muster to take Reign down. The Legion will be playing a big part in that.”
Posting here (added it to the New Year’s thread). This image flashed for a fraction of a second in the teaser trailer for the episode. One of these has to be Brainiac 5. Guesses on the other two?

Attached picture ED5F1E52-EEBD-43B6-B65B-2AD5193A0172.jpeg
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 01/02/18 07:29 AM
Karate Kid (dies in story)
I thought at first the one on the right would be Timber Wolf, in a horrible attempt at copying Wolverine's claws
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 01/04/18 10:37 PM
I thought it was the strap for a forearm protector, which would be handy for Karate Kid. He still dies saving the others from the Giffenator though.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 01/04/18 11:58 PM
Is the lighting weird or is the hand on the left a strange grey/pink colour?

I feel like the hand on the right belongs to a female so I will guess that this trio is the (rather boring IMO) trio of Brainiac 5 (going by LL's comment I assume that he's been introduced to the show so I'm guessing this is him; why he's this colour instead of green I don't know), Cosmic Boy and Saturn Girl.
Originally Posted by Blacula
Is the lighting weird or is the hand on the left a strange grey/pink colour?

I feel like the hand on the right belongs to a female so I will guess that this trio is the (rather boring IMO) trio of Brainiac 5 (going by LL's comment I assume that he's been introduced to the show so I'm guessing this is him; why he's this colour instead of green I don't know), Cosmic Boy and Saturn Girl.

I wondered about that as well; bad makeup or bad lighting. But I was thinking that was probably Brainy on the left with a girl, most likely Saturn Girl, on the right. I think the middle may be Mon-El, if they’re already bringing him back in.
Posted By: Blacula Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 01/05/18 06:38 AM
Thinking about it a little more, the grey/pink hand on the left can only belong to... Power Boy! Which means the other two are Crystal Kid and Laurel Kent!

You heard it here first!
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 01/06/18 01:11 AM
Fashion Femme informs me that, if this is true, all men will be dressing like Power Boy in 2018! With such open chests, it's only a matter of time before medallions come back too - except this year they will be Legion medallions! The funkier way to fly!
Posted By: Blacula Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 01/06/18 05:44 AM
Brainiac 5, Mon-el and Saturn Girl confirmed:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/01/05/supergirl-season-3-first-look-brainiac-5/

And wow does Brainiac 5 look awful!
Awful doesn’t even begin to describe it! I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt but...ugh.
I'm pretty sure they're trying to make his look more consistent with Brainiac 8/Indigo, who appeared in the first season, but, yes, it's pretty bad.

Then again, I kind of grew to love AniBrainiac despite hating the concept at first, so maybe this will work out as well.

Plus, I kind enjoyed the show's take on Mon-El last season as well, despite it having almost nothing to do with Mon-El from the comics.

So, yeah, benefit of doubt...
Incidentally, here's a link to the thread in the main forum discussing this.
no one has mentioned the Streaky appearance!

sans powers (just as well, IMHO), but Kara's first pet on Earth.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 01/17/18 09:19 PM
I was pleased there was a Streaky appearance!!! (Kinda wished they'd used an orange cat, though. Did anyone else get the feeling this cat may have actually been Melissa Benoist's own cat the way she genuinely glowed holding it?)
Bah! This so-called Streaky didn't even have a streak! All true Legion fans must write angry letters to the producers demanding this travesty be rectified! wink
Posted By: thoth lad Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 01/18/18 05:09 PM
Did anyone else get the feeling this cat may have actually been Melissa Benoist's own cat the way she genuinely glowed holding it?)

I just assumed the glowing was Streaky using his heat vision because a kryptonian was all in his personal cat space. smile

Bah! This so-called Streaky didn't even have a streak! All true Legion fans must write angry letters to the producers demanding this travesty be rectified! wink

I would. But I want a Whizzy appearance and that won't happen if the writers think he has to have one. smile
Actually liked this version of the Legion. I mean, for a TV show. Brainiac 5 grows on me. Like all TV geniuses, he's not as smart as we think. Saturn Girl was kind of useless.

I like when the audience knows something the characters don't: namely, Reign's weakness. (She's not herself.)

Streaky is not even a ginger. Humph.

Melissa Benoist appears to be a dog person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDjS-FeY6wc
Posted By: Set Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 01/28/18 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by Blacula
Thinking about it a little more, the grey/pink hand on the left can only belong to... Power Boy! Which means the other two are Crystal Kid and Laurel Kent!

You heard it here first!

Man, I liked your theory better than what we got...
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 02/11/18 01:19 PM
What are Mon-El's powers on this show? There doesn't seem to be consistency... His mom last season seemed much more powerful... can he even fly without the ring?
He generally seems Golden Age Superman level, but, yeah, his mom seemed equal to Supergirl, so it doesn't seem very consistent.
Posted By: Set Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 03/19/18 06:26 AM
Originally Posted by SharkLad
What are Mon-El's powers on this show? There doesn't seem to be consistency... His mom last season seemed much more powerful... can he even fly without the ring?

In the season he was introduced, he had strength that was clearly less than Kara's, and no hints of flight, invulnerability or heat vision.

But his mother seemed to have all the powers of Supergirl, at her levels, so who knows.

Maybe it skips a generation and his kids will have Supergirl-class powers? smile
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 04/10/18 04:31 AM
Link to article with pictures of Mon-El in new, more comics-accurate costume.

click to enlarge
Posted By: Catonyx Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 04/11/18 04:13 PM
Great, they got the costume somewhat correct. Now if only they could find a way to undo the damage the show did to the whole Legion mythos.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 05/06/18 08:03 PM
Wow...the same episode that debuted Mon's costume also featured J'onn's dad's illness going out of control. J'onn having to confront him about it really hit me in the feels. There was a similar dynamic between Kara and Mon and Lena and Reign that mirrored this really well, but Carl Lumbly and David Harewood just knocked it out of the park. I didn't get out of the episode with dry eyes.
Attn: Jancel fans! Prepare to be outraged by the latest episode! wink
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 05/06/18 11:43 PM

I was thrown there for a minute--this sounded like some kind of shipping combo, and I couldn't figure out who they were! lol
rotflmao
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 05/06/18 11:55 PM
Thanks the Google gods because I'm not as Legion-encyclopedic as some of us! grin
I actually had to check her name, because it had been so long since I'd thought about her!

I mean, it's not like she's an important character like Myron Marks or Iresa!
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 05/07/18 12:12 AM
I know, right?!?! wink

I was thrown there for a minute--this sounded like some kind of shipping combo, and I couldn't figure out who they were! lol

You clearly mixed her up with Janzel, the super-popular Element Lad/Matter-Eater Lad ship.

ETA: OK, I wrote that as a joke, but then I imagined the super serious element lad and ultra wacky matter eater Lad of the Giffbaum era, and that could actually work.
Wow...the same episode that debuted Mon's costume also featured J'onn's dad's illness going out of control. J'onn having to confront him about it really hit me in the feels... Carl Lumbly and David Harewood just knocked it out of the park. I didn't get out of the episode with dry eyes.

I identified with M'Yrnn J'Onzz so much...
So we still wonder who else traveled with Brainiac5,Irma and Mon-El. Speaking of whom...nice costume...lose the beard. And why did no one explain the house of El monicker given his origin here? Seems to me it should have been questioned. If season four is going to feature the Legion would we not have some hints along those lines? I feel we’re seeing the last of them.
Posted By: Catonyx Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 05/09/18 03:20 PM
This show is bad. I resent all the badly written "Legion" characterization and history, etc. I've stopped watching, and I bet so have a lot of Legion fans. What a shame .... they had the power and resources to really do it right and make it great, but unfortunately they instead just decided to do their own thing. Well, their own thing is terrible IMHO. *sigh*

On a positive note I am really enjoying the new Krypton series (on the Space channel here in Canada). Check it out if you haven't done so already.
And so the CW’s flirtation with a version of the LSH ends. I must concur with those who found their use unsatisfactory but there were moments I found enjoyable and I tip my writing pen to the person responsible for this Brainiac5 quote: “Ah. Facetiousness. One of my greatest weaknessses.”
Posted By: Elvar Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 05/17/18 09:21 PM
The next Arrow/Flash/Supergirl/Legends crossover announced https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/batwoman-make-arrow-verse-debut-next-crossover-1112799
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 12/27/18 11:16 PM
So in addition to Brainy being a "regular" this season, there's Nia Nal, perhaps an ancestor of Dream Girl's...
Originally Posted by Elvar

I see everyone working so carefully on their Fanfics in the BITS thread here, and then we get this "Elseworlds" three-part crossover that looks like it was plotted out on the back of a napkin...
Posted By: Pov Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 12/29/18 10:24 PM
Ruby Rose made a memorable debut as Kate/Batwoman, though... Can't wait to see what they do with her...
Originally Posted by Pov
Ruby Rose made a memorable debut as Kate/Batwoman, though... Can't wait to see what they do with her...

You only say that because they haven't actually had her do anything yet...
Brandon Routh will be tapped to play an alternate-universe Superman on this year's Green Arrow / Flash / Supergirl / Batwoman crossover. He also plays The Atom on Legends of Tomorrow.

All I'm saying is, "What took you guys so long?"

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...rman-again-arrow-verse-crossover-1225633
Seriously, it's been really hard not to see him as Clark Kent all this time.
And Burt Ward!
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 09/16/19 01:38 AM
Last week, I watched the second half of last season. (I'd fallen behind on all my shows after getting a promotion at work in February and have slowly finished off all the Arrowverse CW shows over the summer.) Overall, I think Supergirl had the strongest arc this season. Its meta theme to counter the Trump-era intolerance of immigrants was well-taken by me as was the multi-pronged threats. Lex Luthor and Manchester Black were pretty memorable, and that season finale was absolutely loaded. I wasn't crazy about Alex having to give up her memories of Kara being Supergirl and was glad to see that discarded in the end. Some Brainy moments didn't work for me, but his overall arc ended well. As disappointed as I was by Flash's season, I was pleasantly surprised by Supergirl's and looking forward to her next chapter.
I had a lot of mixed feelings about the season but Jon Cryer as Lex Luthor was just about the greatest thing in the entire Arrowverse.
Posted By: Set Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 09/16/19 03:11 AM
Random thoughts on this season;

It was cool to see Sam Witwer in a recurring role again. I liked him back on the American version of Being Human.

Manchester Black was many times cooler on the show than in his comic book interpretation, so that was cool!

Meh with the Brainy / Dreamer subplots. I don't mind them. I don't particularly love them. It took me until my roommate started watching Defiance again that I realized that I'd seen Brainy before, in completely different alien makeup! He's gonna have such terrible skin, having to wear all this gunk constantly...

I did not love the whole Alex forgetting plot. I wish they'd implanted some sort of telepathic manchurian candidate thingie where she selectively remembered Kara = Supergirl when her friends and family were around, but conveniently forgot them whenever she was being interrogated or the general or whomever were present (which could have been funny to see her talking with her sister all familiar-like only to have the general walk in and it sort of blank out of her mind, and her step back and act a bit more standoffish, as she's just 'forgottten' that Supergirl was her sister for the moment).

I super did not love the idea of Lena being all shocked by Lex's final dig. I've been fooling myself into thinking that this *very smart person* had been kind of rolling her eyes and going along with the pretense all this time, and totally knew the score (and maybe even had covered for her once or twice, unbeknownst to her). It makes her look pretty foolish to be shocked by this revelation, and, maybe it's just me, but I'd love the 'take that' of Lex dropping this last grenade on the way out the door and Lena saying, 'Yeah, knew that already. You've done the same thing you've done your entire life, and underestimated me once again, big brother.'

I don't remember seeing much of James this season, so that's good. Sounds like darn close to exactly the right amount of that character. smile

Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 09/20/19 07:14 PM
I had a lot of mixed feelings about the season but Jon Cryer as Lex Luthor was just about the greatest thing in the entire Arrowverse.

He was really good! I can almost forgive him for how annoying he was on Two and a Half Men! grin
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 09/20/19 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Set
Random thoughts on this season;

It was cool to see Sam Witwer in a recurring role again. I liked him back on the American version of Being Human.

Me, too! He was also on Smallville as their version of Doomsday. Plus a memorable role on the 2000's Battlestar Galactica.

Originally Posted by Set
Manchester Black was many times cooler on the show than in his comic book interpretation, so that was cool!

He was! Too bad that they made him more one-dimensional as the season went on before apparently killing him off. I think they left room for his return, though.

Originally Posted by Set
Meh with the Brainy / Dreamer subplots. I don't mind them. I don't particularly love them. It took me until my roommate started watching Defiance again that I realized that I'd seen Brainy before, in completely different alien makeup! He's gonna have such terrible skin, having to wear all this gunk constantly.

He actually rarely wore the make-up this season in favor of a hologram that 'coincidentally' saved the actor from constantly wearing the make-up. I liked when the hologram was dropped occasionally, though.

I appreciate the take on Dreamer and what it does for having a trans character as a superhero. Her new powers confuse me though. How does her power allow for those blasts?

Originally Posted by Set
I did not love the whole Alex forgetting plot. I wish they'd implanted some sort of telepathic manchurian candidate thingie where she selectively remembered Kara = Supergirl when her friends and family were around, but conveniently forgot them whenever she was being interrogated or the general or whomever were present (which could have been funny to see her talking with her sister all familiar-like only to have the general walk in and it sort of blank out of her mind, and her step back and act a bit more standoffish, as she's just 'forgottten' that Supergirl was her sister for the moment).

I know what they were trying to do there by finding a way to remover Kara's number one supporter from her life and add some extra drama. But it was very tiresome, very quickly. I'm glad they didn't extend it into next season. (I'm also glad that Alex's boss turned out not to be such a tool after all. I wouldn't mind seeing more of her.

Originally Posted by Set
I super did not love the idea of Lena being all shocked by Lex's final dig. I've been fooling myself into thinking that this *very smart person* had been kind of rolling her eyes and going along with the pretense all this time, and totally knew the score (and maybe even had covered for her once or twice, unbeknownst to her). It makes her look pretty foolish to be shocked by this revelation, and, maybe it's just me, but I'd love the 'take that' of Lex dropping this last grenade on the way out the door and Lena saying, 'Yeah, knew that already. You've done the same thing you've done your entire life, and underestimated me once again, big brother.'

The biggest suspension of disbelief problem I have with this show is trying to accept how anyone who knows Kara and interacts with Supergirl couldn't see they were the same. I know it's a tradition that started with Clark, but unlike Clark/Supes by such actors as Christopher Reeve, there's just zero plausibility with Melissa Benoist and her portrayals of her two sides. They're just too much the same. It's an insult to lena, a character I enjoy, that she couldn't see it. It makes what appears to be an upcoming turn in her character all the more ludicrous.

Originally Posted by Set
I don't remember seeing much of James this season, so that's good. Sounds like darn close to exactly the right amount of that character. smile

Well, you'll be happy to know he's departing in the upcoming season! I have mixed feelings because I like him as Jimmy overall but haven't enjoyed his ventures into being a hero and getting powers.

His sister, though? Love her as Alex's new love interest and saw it coming pretty early!
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 01/20/20 06:08 PM
Suddenly, a new comics-accurate look for Brainy--well underneath the hologram at least--with an in-story explanation. Also, an alternate reality female Brainy doppleganger, played by the Brainy actor's sister! (Fans may recognize her as the ghost roomie from the American version of Being Human.)
Overall, one of the best eps of Supergirl ever coming out of the Crisis!

The whole bottle-Earth concept was kind of brilliant!
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 02/01/20 10:18 PM
So, Winn Schott comes back from the future for a visit, and we learn that he....

...is married and has a child with someone named with a name that sounds like "Eye-la" and has a child with her. Considering we've heard Ayla Ranzz's first name pronounced that way before (was it in this show?), I think it's likely that she is the blushing bride. We see a holo of her and the baby, and she's black, like the current version of Garth is. More disappointing is that this means she isn't with Salu in the Arrowverse. On the plus-side, Nura is mentioned and sounds really awesome!
Posted By: Nightcrawler Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 07/29/20 08:44 PM
Supergirl panel at Wizard World Virtual Experiences - Jesse Rath explains that there will be a storyline with the "essence of the Legion" in the upcoming season.
Supergirl to end with Sixth Season.
Wow. Not sure what it says that the show had another entire last season, and the last post I can find is From Sept 2020 (unless there is a topic in the main Legion thread)?

But Anyway: I almost couldn't stand the last couple of seasons, nor even the first half of the last season. It all reminded me of when I was 8-10 or so and my friends and I would play super-heroes just running around the backyard, making up a story as we went along. In fact, I think we did a better job! lol The introduction of Lex sort of rescued it, but only sort of. The show literally felt like it was written by 10-12 year-olds.

HOWEVER, the last few episodes were ALMOST good, and at least for the last ep they\went back to the one thing that made the show originally good,
Kat Grant, and even tied up an obvious dangling plot thread there.

OF course, it was hard to ignore the contrived drama that Brainy had to go to the future to save his planet Colu, then suddenly didn't becuase he wanted to stay in the 20th C because he was in love- all the while frustratingly ignoring that it was TIME TRAVEL, so why not do both?

Still, they ALMOST made it through without any overtly embarrassing science gaffes, but then - tragically, in the LAST EPISODE, comes no less than Lena Luthor stating "that kind of drain on the sun's energy might even *knock the sun out of it's orbit*"
Yeah. the sun's orbit around... augh. just augh.

So, I would call it a merciful end. I am glad it featured lots of Legion references, but I genuinely think someone pulled a fast one and had their 10 year old write at least some of the scripts the last couple of seasons. I will miss seeing Melissa Benoist as Supergirl, but that's about it.

It will be interesting to see if "Superman and Lois", the spinoff show clearly aiming for MUCH higher quality, even acknowledge Kara's existence. Not to mention -
doesn't Kara revealing herself in the last ep. compromise Clark's identity? Or was his Clark identify never involved with Kara's

ANYWAY. I am not sure whey they (CW) at some point decided to completely dumb down Supergirl. I mean compare it to "Superman and Lois", it's not even close. The same thing is happening with the Flash. DC Legends, by comparison, has the right tongue-and-cheek tone and manages to therefore seem less stupid.
Posted By: Gaseous Lad Re: Supergirl TV show (was CBS, now CW) - 11/29/21 02:47 AM
I've been so disappointed in the last couple seasons of this, I basically bagged this season and just looked at synopses to see what the Legion ties were and if they had any overt back door pilot opportunities here with Brainy.

And agree - I'll miss Melissa as Supergirl, but looking forward to Sasha Calle in the Flash movie next year.
© Legion World