Legion World
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester RIP Carrie Fisher. - 12/27/16 01:19 PM
Devastating.

Goodbye, Princess.

Carrie Fisher Dies at 60.

Posted By: Kappa Kid RIP Carrie Fisher - 12/27/16 01:19 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/carrie-fisher-princess-leia-in-star-wars-dead-at-60-w457713

C'mon 2016...
Posted By: thoth lad Re: RIP Carrie Fisher - 12/27/16 04:34 PM
Sympathies for her family and friends.

Like loads of people, I grew up with her as Princess Leia. But it was her life outside of that which showed me that the actors and actresses had as many challenges to overcome as their characters.

As I grew older, it was Carrie Fisher's sense of humour and personality I liked far more than any of the roles she played.
Posted By: Emily Sivana Re: RIP Carrie Fisher - 12/27/16 06:59 PM
This is so bizarre to me. Her family said she was in stable condition yesterday...I hope everyone finds peace.

I actually attended a convention she was at earlier this year. She even was in a panel where you paid for a ticket to have breakfast with her (I kind of regret not attending now). I wish I could say I saw her, but the line for autographs was too massive.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: RIP Carrie Fisher - 12/27/16 10:27 PM
I just wrote the following on Facebook:

Along with Yvonne Craig's Batgirl and Julie Newmar's Catwoman, Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia was one of my first crushes. I loved her so much that I asked for and received the Princess Leia doll for Christmas when Kenner produced their Barbie-sized 12-inch figure line. This was the one and only time I'd ever asked for anything resembling a Barbie doll. I was simply enamored with the character and her inner and outer beauty.

As a kid (and to some degree as an adult), people knew me as someone who was absolutely obsessed with Star Wars. In fact, my dad would introduce me as such when I met friends and family, much to my embarrassment. But to my recollection, neither dad nor anyone else voiced any concern or derision that I had such a "girly" toy in my possession. Perhaps, they knew as well that she was too cool to be held to those outmoded and ignorant standards of what was a "boy" or "girl" toy. Even now, female action figures tend to be short-packed or even not made at all, but I always had to have the latest Leia figure.

It seems beyond belief that Carrie has passed away today. It almost seems like a part of my childhood has passed with her. But she leaves such a tremendous legacy and inspiration that she is truly immortal in a way that few ever will be.
She will be with us. Always. Rest in peace.
Posted By: thoth lad Re: RIP Carrie Fisher - 12/28/16 06:21 AM
Leia and R2D2 were my first two Star Wars dollies. And it was only those two for long enough that I remember the gap.

Could it have been that a Luke or a Han wasn't in the shop? Could it be that the relative buying it, gave me only seconds to pick one?

I was certainly happy enough with Leia. So, I like to think that Li'l thoth focused in on the two strongest characters. And a big reason Leia came across so well, was Carrie Fisher.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: RIP Carrie Fisher - 12/28/16 08:25 AM
Some of her American Institute speeches honoring Star Wars legacies are pretty humorous and interesting, particularly in light of her recent revelations of the affair with Ford. That lends a whole new level of tension to her speech when he was being honored.

I was impressed with how fluidly she spoke some complicated lines in those speeches.

As far as the character of "Leia," she really didn't register much with me but I suppose that's a good thing. I was older than others here, so "crush" never really came into it. Back then, if a strong female character "registers," it generally registered as sex, love or if meant to be strong, it came off forced for a cause. She did the part well, fit into as a strong character naturally as opposed to coming off as "overachieving" because she was a woman, as would stereotypically be stated at that time. That was an accomplishment.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: RIP Carrie Fisher. - 12/28/16 07:15 PM
Oh geez.

Now reports are that her mother, Debbie Reynolds, has been rushed to the hospital for a possible stroke.

Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: RIP Carrie Fisher. - 12/28/16 07:44 PM
Jeez... frown
Posted By: thoth lad Re: RIP Carrie Fisher. - 12/28/16 07:54 PM
I can only hope that this works out better than so many other stories this year. Sending positive thoughts...
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: RIP Carrie Fisher. - 12/28/16 08:13 PM
Okay, even though I'm not a Star Wars fan (I don't hate the franchise, I've just never been that interested in it), her death is still messed up.

2016 ends in three days can it STOP finding ways to ruin everyone's day.
Posted By: Kappa Kid Re: RIP Carrie Fisher. - 12/28/16 08:49 PM
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/debbie-reynolds-dead-dies-carrie-fisher-mother-1201949432/

Now Debbie has passed away too....
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: RIP Carrie Fisher. - 12/28/16 08:55 PM
Jesus H Christ I called this.

I reblogged a post on tumblr that featured every celebrity who died this year the other day, and I added how I felt before the year was over this post was most likely going to be incomplete.

And I was right.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: RIP Carrie Fisher. - 12/28/16 09:01 PM
I can't imagine how much pain Billie Lourd and the rest of the family must be in right now.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: RIP Carrie Fisher. - 12/28/16 09:57 PM
Nobody leaves the house for three days, pinky swear!
Posted By: Wildwolfkid Re: RIP Carrie Fisher. - 12/28/16 10:17 PM
Seems like every day this year someone famous has passed.
Posted By: Sarcasm Kid Re: RIP Carrie Fisher. - 12/28/16 10:32 PM
I'm past the point where I can feel sad about stuff like this anymore. Now I'm just angry.
Posted By: Blockade Boy Re: RIP Carrie Fisher. - 12/28/16 10:43 PM
If all the people that wrote obits, died, would people then stop dying? I think so.
© Legion World