Legion World
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 05/11/17 02:51 PM
I am shocked that this thread does not yet exist! I cannot be the only one looking forward to this?

I realize BvS was not everyone's up of tea, and while I personally enjoyed it, I would be surprised if anyone found serious fault with Gal Gadot carrying her part. And she looks even more awesome in the trailers!

The trailers look great. Every portrayal they show of all the characters looks fantastic (even Chris Pine is carrying his share of the load for once)
Posted By: Cobalt Kid Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 05/11/17 03:47 PM
This looks really fantastic. Loved the trailer and I love the WWI setting. More excited for this than anything DC has done film wise since the first Bale Batman movie!
Posted By: Myg - Andy S Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 05/11/17 09:14 PM
B vs S was terrible (IMO) but the WW scenes are so good!

I'm so looking forward to this movie.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 05/12/17 03:15 PM
I am slightly concerned that the most recent trailer seems to confirm a lot of what is speculated/rumored, and that we are now on the verge to too much of the story being given away. If one watched all of the trailers one can basically guess the outline of (possibly) the entire movie; I hope that they are holding some secrets in reserve.
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 05/17/17 08:58 PM
I am beyond stoked for this movie... thinking of calling in sick... but my BH would be pissed (we have to save our sick days in case the baby is ill)... will probably go Sunday morning... it looks amazing!
Posted By: Myg - Andy S Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 05/29/17 08:23 PM
This is the week! I'll see what the tickets are like Saturday or Sunday morning!
Posted By: Pov Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 05/29/17 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by Kent Shakespeare
I am slightly concerned that the most recent trailer seems to confirm a lot of what is speculated/rumored, and that we are now on the verge to too much of the story being given away. If one watched all of the trailers one can basically guess the outline of (possibly) the entire movie; I hope that they are holding some secrets in reserve.

THE reason I've avoided watching all of them. The reveal with Diana and her bracelets in one of the early commercials was AWESOME, though... never seen her do THAT before! I can't wait to take my niece Mackenzie... smile
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 05/31/17 02:27 AM
so most of the reviews thus far seem pretty stellar! 96% on rotten Tomatoes.

Only The Guardian seems to hate it so far.
Posted By: Pov Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 06/03/17 05:50 AM
It was SO GOOD, guys!!! My mom and niece enjoyed it! Bring on the sequels!!
Blaze and I are planning to watch soon!
Posted By: Exnihil Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 06/03/17 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by SharkLad
my BH would be pissed

Hmmm... "beloved husband"? "beau hunk"? "bounty hunter"? Ooooh... please say "bounty hunter"!
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 06/03/17 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by Exnihil
my BH would be pissed

Hmmm... "beloved husband"? "beau hunk"? "bounty hunter"? Ooooh... please say "bounty hunter"!

Better Half, I am guessing
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 06/03/17 06:44 PM
I liked the movie. I liked the amount of Lasso use. Much more than I expected. Etta was a gem, but not used enough.
Posted By: Kent Shakespeare Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 06/03/17 07:29 PM
Hoping to see it tomorrow. One jerk on Facebook dropped a major spoiler. I was not pleased.

(and no, although I joked about it on FB, it was not Quis' comment similar to the one above)
Blaze shared a major spoiler with me as well. Ah well. I'm used to watching movies where I know the plot, so it doesn't bother me too much. I still plan to watch soon
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 06/03/17 10:51 PM
Really liked it, but my daughter who's right int he target demographic, LOVED it. And she had very high expectations
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 06/04/17 12:03 PM
I liked it a lot as well. It wasn't perfect: the plot was very predictable even without spoilers, the villains were pretty cliched, and the major plot twist kind of negated the early death. But... it was very well done overall. Gadot was fantastic, though the girl who played "Wonder Tot" almost stole the movie early on!
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 06/04/17 06:38 PM
Thinking about the movie a bit. I would have preferred if they used the Holliday girls rather that Steve's Howling Commandos
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 06/04/17 08:27 PM
^^Were those characters I should have recognized? Because I didn't.

I remember a rumor about them using the Blackhawks at one point.
Posted By: Pov Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 06/04/17 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
...though the girl who played "Wonder Tot" almost stole the movie early on!

Little Diana was a fiesty pip!!! My niece loved her!! ^_^
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 06/05/17 10:26 PM
I just saw it! Man, it was awesome!!!!
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 06/06/17 12:39 PM

I think the World War I settings hampered the use of other DC characters like the Blackhawks. Really all DC has for WWI are Enemy Ace and Balloon Buster, neither of which would have fit the narrative here. I didn't mind the World Building aspect of it.
Posted By: Quislet, Esq Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 06/06/17 12:45 PM

I call them that because they seem to be a copy of the Howling Commandos that were in the Captain America movie.
Posted By: Eryk Davis Ester Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 06/06/17 11:28 PM
Yeah, I thought they might have been existing Wonder Woman supporting characters, though.

I actually thought they could've used fit the Losers in to that role pretty easily.
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 06/07/17 01:07 AM
After I got home from the movie, I started wondering if "Chief" might have been a re-imagined Apache Chief. I don't think that would ever have occurred to me if he was called anything else.
Posted By: Myg - Andy S Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 06/11/17 11:30 PM
This movie was pretty simple and straightforward, and I appreciated that about it. There didn't seem to be any missing moments. Yes, this made it predictable but I preferred that to the clusterf*** that most superhero films have been recently (IMO).

The messages were simple and clear. It made the movie a bit earnest but that's ok on this character
Posted By: Set Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 06/12/17 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by Paladin
After I got home from the movie, I started wondering if "Chief" might have been a re-imagined Apache Chief. I don't think that would ever have occurred to me if he was called anything else.

I read somewhere online (and have no idea if it's true!) that Chief's words in his native language to Diana were in, IIRC, Blackfoot;

he introduced himself as Napi, the Blackfoot demi-god who is known as a trickster and a storyteller
Posted By: Dave Hackett Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 06/12/17 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Set
Originally Posted by Paladin

I read somewhere online (and have no idea if it's true!) that Chief's words in his native language to Diana were in, IIRC, Blackfoot;

he introduced himself as Napi, the Blackfoot demi-god who is known as a trickster and a storyteller

http://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/wonder-woman-eugene-brave-rock-1.4148722
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 06/12/17 05:13 PM
I understood that he wasn't an Apache. That's why I said "re-imagined". His nickname was the only thing that made me think of the other character at all.
Posted By: Set Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 06/12/17 05:21 PM
Oh yeah, I didn't think anything of the Apache thing, because it's not like 'Apache Chief' was all that culturally accurate anyway. smile

I just thought it was neat that a random guy Diana bumps into on the front might also be a god. smile
Posted By: Lard Lad Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 06/12/17 05:26 PM
Maybe he'll be in the sequel? nod
Posted By: SharkLad Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 07/07/17 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Exnihil
my BH would be pissed

Bounty hunter, fo sho...

It was AMAZING btw... not just a great "super-hero movie," but an incredible film... couple of friends of mine who are ridonkulous WW fans came up with like a gazillion things they didn't like, and, while I agreed with a few, I still want to go to Venice a la an old jewelry commercial and scream... "I LOVE THIS WOMAN!"
Posted By: Klar Ken T5477 Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 11/16/17 04:22 AM
Did Wonder Woman ruin the Justice League movie by setting expectations too high?

http://www.wral.com/review-not-even-wonder-woman-can-save-justice-league-/17115303/
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 11/18/17 03:06 AM
Not for me. I just expect a fun movie. The whole fanboy hating on DC movies is over and done for me.
Posted By: DrakeB3004 Re: Wonder Woman: the movie thread! - 11/21/17 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by Myg - Andy S
This movie was pretty simple and straightforward, and I appreciated that about it. There didn't seem to be any missing moments....

Personally, I was missing an explanation for how she was the "Godslayer" and what the hell her bracelets are, what they actually do, how she got them, and why she wore them all the time even though she seemed to not know what they can do. That was kindof a big hole for me...
© Legion World