Legion World
Posted By: Brain-Fall-Out Boy So, what are you LEARNING? - 10/28/17 05:40 AM
I figured I may as well make it match. smile

I'm tired of filling my time with hobbies that do nothing but make time disappear, so I and a friend of mine are going to teach ourselves Latin. I had a couple of years in college, but I was a slacker and wasn't ever good with it. Plus it's been 15 years, so I'm basically starting from scratch. We're using Wheelock's Latin, the standard text, and YouTube videos for pronunciation.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: So, what are you LEARNING? - 11/12/17 04:14 PM
Yesterday and today I learned what the odyssey was all about.

I replaced the radiator in my wife's car. Never done that before. That wasn't bad. What WAS bad was the endless run around from the parts stores that would order a part "It's coming in from Columbia, SC. Be here tomorrow at 9am!" Can you hear my derisive laughter from here? "I need the little plastic clips that undo quick couplings on the transmission lines that run into and out of the radiator. " Oh, we have those." Get there. "Oops, sorry... " says the ninteen year old young lady behind the counter..."I thought you meant the clips that hold them on. "Hey, have you got a bottom hose for the radiator of a "x".?" Nope have it here in three days, or you can drive twenty five miles to florence to get one!"

Seriously? I mean, it was three different parts companies, and they all crapped out on me.

So, I learned how to replace a radiator, and how to keep my cool and not burn down a town.

Does that count?
Posted By: Brain-Fall-Out Boy Re: So, what are you LEARNING? - 11/13/17 01:45 AM
I would definitely say that counts!
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: So, what are you LEARNING? - 01/20/18 03:09 PM
Okay, several years ago I bought an electric guitar. Inexpensive, just something to learn on. I am determined to learn. But, years ago when I went through voc rehab they gave me tests to determine what they would help pay for. One was dexterity. The ruled out surgeon or guitar player.

needless to say, it ain't going well. Hell, I can't even figure out how to tune the damn thing correctly, with an electronic tuner.

But, I'm trying to set aside an hour a day. Not easy, but I'm trying.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: So, what are you LEARNING? - 02/27/22 05:28 PM
Lately, a bit of solar system info. Lots of nasa stuff, lots of videos on specific celestial bodies... just having fun now. To old to do anything with it, just enjoying the knowledge.
Posted By: Invisible Brainiac Re: So, what are you LEARNING? - 02/27/22 06:26 PM
keep on learning , gang!

have just been working on my Dutch language... also improving my cooking.
Posted By: He Who Wanders Re: So, what are you LEARNING? - 02/27/22 06:28 PM
How did the guitar learning go, Rick?

As for me, I'm pursuing a doctorate in education.
Posted By: Ann Hebistand Re: So, what are you LEARNING? - 02/27/22 08:38 PM
Lot of stuff about nutrition, because I'm working at a vitamin store.

So far, I'm enjoying it. I almost posted about it in the "Crow" thread, but I want to give it at least until the end of next month. I have an unfortunate history of leaving jobs soon after starting them.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: So, what are you LEARNING? - 02/28/22 12:40 AM
He who, I can proudly say that now I can identify three different strings, and move from one fret to the other with one finger. There are three year olds better than me, but I keep on trying.
Posted By: rickshaw1 Re: So, what are you LEARNING? - 02/28/22 12:41 AM
awesome, Ann. I need to get better at it for my diabetes, but honestly, I watched family members deal with it til it became an obsession and that made them miserable. I don't wanna be miserable for my wife and son so I just do my best.
© Legion World