Roll Call
0 members (), 35 Murran Spies, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Gaseous Lad - 04/25/24 01:27 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 04/25/24 01:26 PM
DC/Marvel Crossovers to be collected in 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 08:21 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/25/24 05:38 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:49 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Thoughts on Legion in the 31st # 12?
#607787 03/13/08 08:13 AM
M
Candidate
OP Offline
Candidate
M
Hello everyone,

If anyone has had a chance to read through Legion of Super-Heroes in the 31st Century # 12, I'd love to hear what you think. This was my second script for this title, and any and all feedback is welcome.

I'll start the ball rolling by commenting on the Legion Abstract review here: Legion Abstract

First off, I'm glad you liked the shape transitions from scene to scene. That was actually an idea I came up with a while ago, and was waiting for the right story to use it on. Look for a couple other interesting storytelling techniques in future issues.

Second, just because Earth's government is united, doesn't mean it's not a nation. It's just a much larger nation now.

The cowboy Scavenger thing was probably a result of lack of communication. With a book like this with a rotating cast of artists, oftentimes the writer and penciller don't get a chance to talk to each other directly. As of this writing, I still haven't spoken or emailed Mr. Beavers unfortunately. Although I always prefer when I get the opportunity to speak with the artist before the comic begins production, for one reason or another, sometimes that simply just doesn't happen, and mistakes like this can slip through the cracks.

And lastly, I'm glad the Interlac made its way into this issue. Look to see more of that in the future. As a kid, those hidden Interlac phrases were half the fun of reading Legion comics for me.

Okay, so enough from me. Any other thoughts on the issue?

Thanks guys,

Matthew K. Manning

Re: Thoughts on Legion in the 31st # 12?
#607788 03/13/08 09:21 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Thanks for the link; I'm actually kind of stoked that you read the review.

I wonder if Ethen Beavers didn't get the idea for the Scavengers' cowboy look from the recent episode with Terra-Man's gang.

Shame this comic didn't come out a month ago; I totally would have included President Wazzo's speech in that 50th-anniversary panel montage I put together.

I'm looking forward to your next issue of this title; my opinion is growing that the ones written by you have a better-than-usual chance of being above average.

#607789 03/14/08 07:23 AM
M
Candidate
OP Offline
Candidate
M
My next issue won't be until # 16, but it'll be worth the wait, I promise. It's my favorite Legion script to date, and stars a very unexpected special guest...

#607790 03/14/08 08:03 AM
Active
Active
I haven't had a chance to go to the LCS yet (Saturday is my new comic day because of work, and it makes me sad) but I've been waiting for this issue for a couple of weeks now. I really enjoyed your last issue so I have high expectations for this one. But when I do get my grubby little hands on it (hopefully I'll be able to snag a copy) I'll let you know what I think!

Long Live the Legion!
#607791 03/18/08 01:44 PM
Active
Active
Got a chance to read it and I really enjoyed it. Those transitions were your idea? That is really cool as I felt they added a lot to the pacing and tension in the story. It felt like a nice detective/crime story without relying on the hackneyed first person narrative to give it atmosphere.

I laughed out loud upon finding out that Brainy shocked the president, great stuff there, the entire conversation between him and Bouncing Boy was pure gold. I also like how Tinya is taking on a real mature role in the Legion.

Very good issue, another enjoyable read that really feels like reading classic Legion.

Long Live the Legion!
#607792 03/19/08 08:44 PM
Candidate
Candidate
I know that this is Timber Wolf’s spotlight, but I really enjoyed the minor characters. That little exchange between Bouncing Boy and Brainiac 5 really stole the show for me!

Bouncing Boy: Man I wish I had a vid file of the look on your face. Oh wait, I do. It was only broadcasted on every major news station in the galaxy.

Phantom Girl’s just standing there taking it all in stride. She is by far one of the most insightful characters. She knows what’s bothering someone and gives them space to work it out. She does that to Brainy waaaay back in issue #4. I’m glad to see the consistency in her character.

Phantom Girl says “Hakuna Matata.” I didn’t know that Lion King pop culture survived the Great Crisis.

#607793 03/21/08 07:32 AM
M
Candidate
OP Offline
Candidate
M
Thanks for the kind words, Steph and Lass. I'm glad you both enjoyed the little scene at the end. I always like writing little back and forth dialog bits like that. I think it's safe to say you'll enjoy my next issue, as it relies quite heavily on humor.

Steph: Yes the transitions were my idea. I'm always trying to switch up my storytelling any way I can, trying to give the reader something they don't see in every other superhero book out there.

Lass: Glad you like how Tinya is being handled in our title. But don't kid yourself, even the Great Disaster couldn't kill the Disney juggernaut.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,938
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires