Roll Call
1 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 14 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 01:49 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/18/24 05:00 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/18/24 02:18 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:17 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Bleedingcool Rumors: Giffen, Lightle
#609093 04/22/12 11:18 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Sounds to me like it's a reference to a specific fan question about the possibility of him writing the Legion.
That could very well be the case. It still makes me wonder if something specific set him off and if something Legion-related might have been the spark.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#609094 04/22/12 07:44 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
[b]Sounds to me like it's a reference to a specific fan question about the possibility of him writing the Legion.
That could very well be the case. It still makes me wonder if something specific set him off and if something Legion-related might have been the spark. [/b]
I could be wrong but I think what set him off was the whole "Before Watchmen" thing.

#609095 04/22/12 08:25 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
Originally posted by Reboot:
[b]
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
[b]I wouldn't mind them getting a shot at the regular version of the Legion. They seem to have hit a good vibe with space drama...from what I hear with what they did at Marvel.
*resists urge to slam your use of 'regular'*
[/b]
I actually struggled with what term to use. I didn't want to use 'original,' since this is not the original version in my mind, but the closest we're going to get...and I know we could debate that for hours, and probably a few full threads without reaching a consensus on it.[/b]
How 'bout "current"?

Sounds to me like it's a reference to a specific fan question about the possibility of him writing the Legion.
Yup. We're not talking private e-mails here, people!
Scott Throndson ‏ @SThrondson: https://twitter.com/#!/SThrondson/status/192719435826597888
@chris_roberson selfishly that makes me sad because not only are we losing iZombie, I'll never get the LSH title I've been hoping you'd get
Chris Roberson ‏ @chris_roberson: https://twitter.com/#!/chris_roberson/status/192719816715546624
@SThrondson Sorry. In a better world, characters like the Legion would be owned by a more ethical company, but sadly not in this one.
Also:
Cory Jameson ‏ @ComputerSci5
@chris_roberson What happened? How bad was DC in their treatment of you? I've heard things...

Chris Roberson ‏ @chris_roberson
@ComputerSci5 Less in their treatment of me than in their treatment of others and how they conduct their business in general.
and

Having an afternoon cocktail to celebrate the end of my time at DC.... iZombie will be the last time I'll ever write for DC.

Kurt Busiek ‏ @KurtBusiek
@chris_roberson "Ever" is a long time. And remember — I do a book for DC because they bought the company I was published by. Alan Moore too!

@KurtBusiek "Ever" here taken to mean "so long as it is essentially the same company it is today."
Not everything is about the Legion...

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#609096 04/22/12 08:56 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
That's cool. I'm not a, er, Twitter-er, so I can see now that the quote was out of context. To be fair, the article could have been edited a little better (probably without the Legion reference) to prevent speculation like I made. Honestly, taken out of context, I think it was fair on my part.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#609097 05/01/12 02:16 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I find ironic that nowadays, unless a book is written by Geoff Johns or Grant Morrison, or isn't Batman, it doesn't sell that great.

So I doubt that having someone like Giffen or Lightle coming on board would make the book sell that much more. we can hope though.

And I certainly hope that when Legion Lost is cancelled (let's face it, it's only a question of time), the characters will be folded back into LSH.

Ze Frainch Legion fan
#609098 07/05/12 02:57 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
It\'s Official. Giffen and Levitz six issue arc starting with #13.

The new arc features the new DCU version of the Fatal Five:

We've been starting to build this whole set of threads around the idea that the Fatal Five is being reformed. In the New DC logic, the Legion hasn't met the Fatal Five -- there apparently was one in the cosmos, and it's coming back together or it's in danger of coming back together. There's links to that, and in that fashion, it becomes an important bridge to what is going on over the next year as we do a major arc about the new Fatal Five. I'm going to have the great fun of working with Keith [Giffen] on that -- he'll be stepping back in to do a six-issue run to tell that story.

#609099 07/05/12 05:39 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Yay for Giff.

But the main thing I get from the article is the Legion has never met the Fatal Five here and that is annoying beyond words if I understand that correctly.

#609100 07/05/12 06:09 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Well, it smooths out the why Validus and Tharok are back questions nicely.

If Sarya's death hadn't been referenced in the Annual, I'd suggest maybe she hasn't been Empress yet. But maybe they'll fudge over that anyway.

With no Fatal Five, the deaths of at least Ferro Lad and possibly Invisible Kid couldn't have happened the way they did preboot. Plus Shadow Lass's joining must have happened differently.

#609101 07/05/12 06:45 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Didn't the Fatal Five appear in Legion of 3 Worlds? Or was that now just a little wrinkle in time that has been smoothed over?

#609102 07/05/12 06:48 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
It matters as much as New Krypton and that Supergirl Annual. Deleted.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#609103 07/05/12 07:00 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
I bet all those Legionnaires who went back to New Krypton were really just vacationing all this time.

You know, like Bouncing Boy and Duo Damsel were on their second honeymoon, which is why the rest of the Legion couldn't find them. What?

#609104 07/05/12 07:02 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Considering like half of L03W was about bringing back Superboy and Impulse, both of whom have since been rebooted, I definitely wouldn't count on that as reliable at all for continuity.

#609105 07/05/12 07:17 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Just 6 issues? Hope they sell well so he will be asked back. Levitz NEEDS Giffen, I think.

As for the possible retconning out of Fatal 5 continuity, yes that is pretty annoying.

I've just had to face the facts-- history at DC (and the Legion's fistory) are nonexistent. Every Crisis deletes what came before it. The DCnU's time is numbered too.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#609106 07/05/12 09:35 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I'm actually not really bothered by this at all, but I've been pretty much over the pretense of trying to hammer in the round peg of preboot Legion continuity into the square hole of the rest of the DC Universe since the retroboot began.

#609107 07/06/12 04:28 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Agreed; it's best to just enjoy what you're reading now without trying to make yourself crazy fitting it into a no-longer existent continuity. And don't believe what DC tells us is and isn't in continuity because they can obviously change that at their mad whim. smile

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#609108 07/06/12 04:57 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
You know, I know that, and have made peace with it in other places like Superman and Teen Titans, but for whatever reason it's bothering me. I guess I really am starting to hate the DCnU and the only way I can get over that is if the story is so good, my prior connection with the franchise doesn't matter.

So, no pressure. It has to be the best story in years or I'll hate it. laugh

#609109 07/06/12 05:32 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
^Same. I can always pretend, "Hey, it's an Elseworlds"... Continuity ain't all that important, and the old stories still happened somehow, somewhere.

#609110 07/06/12 06:10 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Ohhh man...this is maybe the first continuity bollocking in the Legionverse that I really have a problem with.. :\

I agree with the comments that it's best to just concentrate on the stories now and not try to fit everything together in a complex puzzle when it clearly just doesn't fit, but...

It's the scale of it. The Fatal Five are such a huge part of Legion lore. Ferro Lad's death is one of the most classic superhero stories period, and it just feels like sacrilege messing with that kind of stuff for no particular reason.

Things like Shady and Mon-El never having been married...sure, it bugs me, but at the end of the day I can get over it. Such a massive part of Legion history having never existed when there's no reason for them not to have though...I dunno, it rubs me the wrong way. You don't have to be a slave to continuity, but I think you need to respect the cornerstones that a universe is built on, and the Fatal Five is definitely one of the cornerstones of the Legion's particular history.

#609111 07/06/12 06:22 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I lived through the Threeboot and the Reboot, and even found stuff to love in them.

I never really believed that this was the 'classic' team, thanks to the weird discontinuity in Action and Lo3W and the first year of Levitz's return, and some of the strange characterization hiccups, so I'm not hugely shocked that Paul has given up and just said it's all new again.

Whatever. I'm sure I'll find stuff to like in the future Legion(s), whether or not they have any bearing on the past Legion(s).

Hopefully Paul doesn't feel the need to retell the Universo story again, or bring back Darkseid for another run. Been there, done that, multiple times, and I don't think he's ever gonna top the Universo Project or the Great Darkness Saga.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#609112 07/06/12 09:16 AM
Substitute
Substitute
The whole Fatal Five deletion just opens up waaay more problems then it solves.

Stupid Fracking DCNU...grumble grumble bitch moan...

#609113 07/07/12 02:25 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well, it smooths out the why Validus and Tharok are back questions nicely.

If Sarya's death hadn't been referenced in the Annual, I'd suggest maybe she hasn't been Empress yet. But maybe they'll fudge over that anyway.

With no Fatal Five, the deaths of at least Ferro Lad and possibly Invisible Kid couldn't have happened the way they did preboot. Plus Shadow Lass's joining must have happened differently.
oh my exactly my thought!

someone needs to ask that question to Paul at SDCC and have him explain how and why, etc.

anyone volunteer? I am unable to go to the SDCC because I will be in Lake Tahoe celebrating the organization s 30th anniversary party. sigh.

#609114 07/09/12 10:36 AM
Substitute
Substitute
The Fatal Five are a HUGE part of Legion lore and removing them from continuity is like removing the Joker from Batman or Lex Luthor from Superman histories.

#609115 07/21/12 05:39 PM
Active
Active
No Fatal Five? Is this another move dictated to Levitz by TPTB or did he really come up with this himself? Totally unneccessary move in my eyes, but like so many people here I have stopped bothering. I got some enjoyment out of the last few Legion issues so that's a good sign, always loved Levitz / Giffen as a team, so I'll certainly stay on board but I doubt that any new reader will be lured to the book by some cool new Fatal Five thingie when he just has to google that those Fatal Five aren't so new at all... I guess this is just another of those AINT THAT OH SO COOL moves that sacrifices the remnants of meaning and continuity to a quick special effect (anybody remember Morrison giving us the un-eaten Miracle Machine during Final Crisis???)... or Karate Kid during Countdown...

By the way: Has it ever been explained how Karate Kid came back from the dead before Lightning Saga??? I have read so much garbage during the last four years I really cannot remember... frown

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,844
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
M'onel
M'onel
Alberta, Canada