Roll Call
0 members (), 7 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 05:03 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 03/27/24 04:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/27/24 10:23 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:17 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:15 AM
Share more completely random things!
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:15 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 03/27/24 07:41 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Preview for LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #10
#614984 06/18/12 08:42 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Follow the link, unless you don't want to be spoiled...

at crave online

Re: Preview for LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #10
#614985 06/18/12 02:15 PM
Active
Active
Interesting preview. Glad Ultra Boy always seems to be on hand to save the day. He's really been Levitz's go to guy lately. Wish this preview had focused on Star Boy though. Nonetheless, it does prove that Cosmic Boy has the guts to go it alone if he deems necessary.

#614986 06/18/12 03:20 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Online Content
Legionnaire!
R
Cos! DOING something!!

I know people think there's too much focus on the founders, but I'm just stoked to see him in action rather than sitting around headquarters wringing his hands over the state of the team... smile

#614987 06/18/12 06:48 PM
Leader
Leader
Levitz really loves his Cosmic Boy doesn't he? Would've liked to see Star Boy's ragged team of rescuers instead though.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#614988 06/20/12 12:39 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Another pretty solid issue!

I'm not sure why Cos didn't wear a mask while doing his breaking and entering though.

Interested in the new kids. Will Mwindaji's tracking ability earn him a place in the Legion? And I'm not really sure what Otaki's abilities are, but it's kind of cool to have a telepath born somewhere other than Titan.

And Comet Queen best be saving the day.

#614989 06/20/12 03:04 PM
Active
Active
I hope Levitz isn't planning on replacing Dawnstar and Tellus with these new recruits so soon...

So I take it Comet Queen has resigned too. That was a short tenure.

This issue provided us with a lot of set up for next issue. Hope Levitz don't let us down.

#614990 06/20/12 03:24 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Lots of good things in this issue. I loved Cos's look and solo mission and his rescue by Ultra Boy. I loved the interaction and skill shown by Dream Girl and Brainy. I really LOVED Duo Damsel on an actual mission. I really despise the character of Comet Queen and nothing about her annoying, immature behavior here changed my opinion. The two new recruits are way beyond lame. Super tracking ability is way too convenient for this story and is a one note power. And another mind reader?? Bring back Saturn Girl!

#614991 06/20/12 06:22 PM
Leader
Leader
Agreed on all points. Brody.

#614992 06/20/12 07:41 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Very solid issue. I liked the way the tension is building and the stakes are very high. It's more than the lives of Brainy and Dream Girl...war is coming. Loved the way Nura was portrayed. And I love ominous dreams from Nura. It's a Legion tradition.

Yeah, the two new recruits seemed very lame, which seems to indicate death and/or betrayal at their hands. Or is Comet Queen going to betray them? Did Saturn Queen mess with her far beyond what anyone thought?

#614993 06/20/12 07:45 PM
Active
Active
My one true complaint is that the cover art was a bit misleading as none of Star Boy's team was captured or even encountered the Dominion in this issue. Cool cover though.

#614994 06/20/12 08:10 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Yeah, although the scene on the cover hasn't happened (yet), I liked it. The best thing about it is it's the most Legionnaires we've seen on a cover so far this series - five. I'm ready for a big group shot.

#614995 06/20/12 10:13 PM
S
Set Online Content
Long live the Legion!
Online Content
Long live the Legion!
S
The inclusion of cadets with a tracking power and telepathy might suggest that Paul was maybe planning on having Dawnstar and Tellus back, at some point, but has now resigned himself to their being gone a bit more long term.

A telepath is almost de rigeur at this point, but I'm not a fan of tracking powers. Either the tracker can find whatever the mystery item / person / place du jour is, and the mystery is blown to hell, or the tracker *can't* find this thing for a specific plot-defined reason, in which case, why the hell even have a tracker?

Dawnstar gets by on a cool visual, and some other useful powers (spaceworthy flight at lightspeed, for instance). I'm not sure Mwinadji (I just made up some random letters, no idea if it's spelled right...) is gonna match that.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#614996 06/20/12 11:06 PM
Leader
Leader
Plus, his name is unpronounceable. We already have Mxyzptlk for that.

#614997 06/20/12 11:54 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I get my issue on Thursday, but the previews are nice.
I just don't know why Cos couldn't have flown out on his own.
He has a flight ring, right?
shrug

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#614998 06/21/12 03:28 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Online Content
Legionnaire!
R
I read this today, wooh! smile

...and quite liked it! I know that the 'ragtag rescue team' aren't going to save the day on their own and will end up needing the rest of the Legion to get them out of this, but seeing how well Brainy and Dreamy have been treated so far I have a feeling that Chuck, Lu et al are gonna get a much more respectful showing against the Dominators than they did against Cosmic King (even if they do lose).

Admittedly, I'm disappointed in the newbies' powers. Even if they are just thinly veiled plot replacements for Dawnstar and Tellus, there are a million other ways you could accomplish the same feats with a different power. A planetary-scale Jack Hawksmoor could accomplish the same thing as a planetary-scale tracker, and do other cool things besides. Someone with specifically postcognition-related psionic abilities might make an interesting opposite number to Dream Girl while still being able to mimic certain aspects of telepathy. And my other issue with the new recruits is that their abilities seem so passive! Admittedly, we haven't seen what Otaki can actually do yet, but I hope she's not another in a long list of Legion women with purely subtle abilities...

Those little qualms aside, I really liked this issue and am looking forward to seeing where this storyline goes! smile

#614999 06/21/12 02:24 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
my main beef is: why two new characters? why not Mandalla? why not Monica Sade or Veilmist or Westerner or even Catspaw?

sigh...although the story is good. just wish I would love to see Mandalla in action.

#615000 06/21/12 03:54 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
They seem like red shirts from Star Trek T.O.S.

*adios* ...

#615001 06/22/12 03:14 AM
Active
Active
And why Lydda in not in these rescue team?
I hope The dominators kill Comet Queen and the newbies.
I´m very bored ....about the new recruits...
All the fans are be waiting for the real legionnaires.... Saturn Girl, Sensor Girl, Lightning Lad, Blok, Black Witch, Matter Eater Lad, Quislet...
And forgotten ones.....Kono, Veilmist, Andromeda, Kinetix, XS, Gear, Wave, Impulse....

From UK with glamour.
#615002 06/22/12 03:21 AM
S
Set Online Content
Long live the Legion!
Online Content
Long live the Legion!
S
So, random observations time;

I like seeing Cosmic Boy out of the chair and *doing stuff.* So, so, so done with seeing him sitting in front of a bunch of viewscreens whining about whatever.

Ah, Ultra Boy, with your ultra-speed. Not the intuitive choice for a tactical evac team, and that's cool.

Brainy confirms again that Dreamy is one of the smartest Legionnaires, which is nice, although I liked it better in the Universo Project.

The pages of Mon-El and the UP delegation were, IMO, wasted in a 20 page comic. Nine pages in, almost halfway through the book, and we're still on stuff that could have been explained in a couple of word-balloons on page 1;

Top panel, Cos, Jo and Lar standing;
Cosmic Boy, "I tried to sneak into the Dominator embassy, but I couldn't find any useful intel before Ultra Boy had to pull me out."

Ultra Boy, "Yo, I'm totally in this scene because my hair-care product placement contract obligates me to be here, looking fabulous." [flips hair dramatically]

Mon-El, "The UP is no help, they've forbidden us to do *anything* that will threaten the fragile peace with the Dominators..."

Bottom panel, Thom and the others show up;
Star Boy, "You chuckleheads argue politics, I quit and I'm going to get my Dreamy!"

Lu, Chuck and the kids, "We are the chorus, and we agree!"

And now we're ready for page 2!
Anywho, odd art on page 10. Cos looks like he's got a black eye and Mon-El is either whistling dixie or, uh, something else...

But Lu merging looks badass.

These little Dominator minion guys jumping at Brainy and Dreamy are totally cute. I think they'd make great plush toys.

And... ten more pages of talky talk. Yawn.

I'm not sure if the scene with Bouncing Boy saying 'get out of my mind' a couple times is setting him up to be the unintentional traitor (someone is mind-jobbing him? perhaps even Otaki?), or just a fuzzy panel.

#615003 06/22/12 05:20 AM
Leader
Leader
LOL on Ultra Boy! Totally agree about the decompressed storytelling. We get all this glacially slow buildup and then the climax will probably be over in a bang and a whimper.

#615004 06/22/12 01:40 PM
Leader
Leader
Technically, Ultra Boy's power set includes flight OR super-speed. I would further submit that if it's the ring that's doing the flying, Jo should not be able to make it go super-fast.

#615005 06/22/12 03:56 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Set:

Ultra Boy, "Yo, I'm totally in this scene because my hair-care product placement contract obligates me to be here, looking fabulous." [flips hair dramatically]
So true, so true! With Ultra Boy it's been all about the hair lately!! The various artists have done amazing things with that hair. It just shimmers! It's a creative feature that helps Ultra Boy stand out among the rest of the Legion. I think it's perfect for his personality and something for us to make fun of as well!

#615006 06/22/12 10:18 PM
S
Set Online Content
Long live the Legion!
Online Content
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
Technically, Ultra Boy's power set includes flight OR super-speed. I would further submit that if it's the ring that's doing the flying, Jo should not be able to make it go super-fast.
I thought that myself, but then realized that 'super-speed' has to come with some sort of acceleration / propulsive force built in, and if he's flying when it kicks in, it should make him fly faster (and, if he's swimming, it should make him swim faster, too, although I'm not sure we've ever seen him operate underwater, which is kinda odd for a guy based off of the character Jonah...).

He's been shown using super-speed while flying for ages, so it seems that he can do both (the time he flew beside Lazon and punched him in the face, comes to mind).

Jo's power is kind of an exercise in waving your hands furiously in protest anyway. If he used super-speed without either invulnerability or some sort of speed-force ability to ignore friction, he'd flatten like a pancake and burst into flames. If he used super-strength without invulnerability, he'd smash every bone in his body the first time he super-punched something. And his 'penetra-vision' appears to be both X-Ray vision *and* telescopic vision, at the same time.

Heck, the power write-ups for him don't even mention any longer that he can channel ultra-energy for flight, without a Flight Ring, since it never really comes up...

Still, he's my favorite of the Krypto-class dudes, since he's got to work that much harder to hang at their weight class, due to his limitations, and yet, he's also got no red sun weakness, no inconsistent magic weakness and no kryptonite / lead weakness, which can sometimes prove handy.

#615007 06/22/12 10:22 PM
S
Set Online Content
Long live the Legion!
Online Content
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Leather Wolf:
So true, so true! With Ultra Boy it's been all about the hair lately!! The various artists have done amazing things with that hair.
I'd been thinking that it was just a lush mane of hair, but there have been a lot of close ups of it lately (in this very issue, in fact) that depict it as more of braids or locks. That's kind of cool to see.

The Legion has always been a standout in having so many brunettes. Comic folk are so often blondes, redheads or have black hair, that plain old brown hair ends up looking kind of exotic, by comparison!

#615008 06/23/12 07:21 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Set:
(and, if he's swimming, it should make him swim faster, too, although I'm not sure we've ever seen him operate underwater, which is kinda odd for a guy based off of the character Jonah...).
He led an underwater mission in Adv. 371. That's the only one I can think of right now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,269
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024