Roll Call
0 members (), 19 Murran Spies, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Gaseous Lad - 04/25/24 01:27 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 04/25/24 01:26 PM
DC/Marvel Crossovers to be collected in 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 08:21 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/25/24 05:38 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:49 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
LEGION LOST Is History With Issue #16!
#615491 10/15/12 02:11 PM
Korbal Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album_view.php?gid=4584&page=5
Since no deaths are being definitively stated, perhaps everyone will come back home?

"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63
Re: LEGION LOST Is History With Issue #16!
#615492 10/15/12 02:48 PM
Active
Active
So is this kind of "breaking news"? All I can say is... good riddance. Legion in the 20th (or 21st) century NEVER really worked for longer than a few issues. Ill-advised idea from the beginning, no direction, clumsy storyline and muddled crossovers with C-class characters fighting D-class villains...

Can't say that I'm feeling any pity about this decision. Hope the characters return where they belong to...

#615493 10/15/12 03:26 PM
And then there was steak!
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYY!! This book sucked!

[Linked Image]

#615494 10/15/12 03:34 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Didn't we have a death pool somehwere...?

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#615495 10/15/12 04:10 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Although it was nice seeing some focus on these 7 Legionnaires for a bit (especially the underused Gates and Yera)... YAHOO! THEY'RE GOING HOME! At least, I hope so...

#615496 10/15/12 04:12 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Hmm... they could all blow up, final issue of original Doom Patrol style!

#615497 10/15/12 04:40 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
Although it was nice seeing some focus on these 7 Legionnaires for a bit (especially the underused Gates and Yera)... YAHOO! THEY'RE GOING HOME! At least, I hope so...
Gates isn't... shake

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#615498 10/15/12 08:12 PM
J
Substitute
Substitute
J
It had it's flaws, but there was stuff about it that I legitimately enjoyed, so I just hope that Levitz(/Giffen) put these guys back to good use if/when they get back to the 31st Century.

#615499 10/15/12 08:28 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
That's my big worry-- these are guys Mr. Levitz was apparently cool with losing to LEGION LOST... he might not WANT them back.

It seems like he is wanting to keep the team at 15 members or something. frown

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#615500 10/15/12 09:00 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by lowercase mllash:
It seems like he is wanting to keep the team at 15 members or something. frown
I think he wants his new Academy kids to be the center, with the "real" Legionnaires forming a setting around them. It's time to take those younguns back to another Academy book (the previous book was much better than Legion Lost has been) and let us have the real Legion of Super-Heroes back.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
#615501 10/15/12 11:29 PM
S
Active
Active
S
Good riddance to this pointless waste of good characters.

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#615502 10/15/12 11:33 PM
J
Substitute
Substitute
J
Originally posted by Legion Tracker:
[b]It seems like he is wanting to keep the team at 15 members or something. frown
I think he wants his new Academy kids to be the center, with the "real" Legionnaires forming a setting around them. It's time to take those younguns back to another Academy book (the previous book was much better than Legion Lost has been) and let us have the real Legion of Super-Heroes back.[/b]
I wouldn't want to say the "real" Legion of Super-Heroes, since I'm sure there were people who were saying the same thing when, say, Ferro Lad, Karate Kid and Princess Projectra came on, and then again with Wildfire and Dawnstar.

I think that's one of the neater things about the Legion--there isn't some set corporate standard that these characters can be, they can die, or retire, and either new characters can fill in the roles, or new characters can steal the spotlight.

#615503 10/16/12 12:46 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I hate you all! mad why? I am sick of Brainiac 5, Saturn Girl, Ultra boy being panel- hogging! Dawnstar, Wildfire, Tyroc, Tellus, Gates, Chameleon Girl, and Timber Wolf - ah....who have not seen them for a while since the Zero Hour put them "out of existence" and were brought back by Geoff Johns to bring Superboy and Kid Flash back alive? sigh.

more Chameleon Girl!! more Tyroc!! they really shone through the LL book. sigh.

I hate you all!

:sad: really hope to see them all alive back in Legion...*finger crossing*

PS no I am not really mad at you all. hug

#615504 10/16/12 01:36 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Legion Tracker: It's time to take those younguns back to another Academy book (the previous book was much better than Legion Lost has been) and let us have the real Legion of Super-Heroes back.
My thought as well. The Adventure run with the Academy recruits was better than Legion Lost has been, IMO. I really like Yera, Timber Wolf, Tellus and the new improved Tyroc, and would rather see them with the Legion in the 31st century than farting around in the 21st century, on a mission (to stop Alastor from releasing the Hypertaxis plaque) that failed *before they even arrived.*

Bringing Glorith, Chemical Kid, Comet Queen and Dragonwing onto the core team as 'replacements' so quickly was a mistake, since, 'death pool' or not, I don't think *anybody* expected the Legion Lost crew to remain 'lost' forever.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#615505 10/16/12 01:40 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The sad thing about Legion Lost's (apparent) terribleness is that it really was a great group of characters. Some really interesting stories could have been told with that bunch IMO.

So great then that even in their last issue, some crappy, random Teen Titans villain gets the focus instead. :rolleyes:

#615506 10/16/12 01:50 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Blacula:
The sad thing about Legion Lost's (apparent) terribleness is that it really was a great group of characters. Some really interesting stories could have been told with that bunch IMO.

So great then that even in their last issue, some crappy, random Teen Titans villain gets the focus instead. :rolleyes:
So true. We could have had some great stories dealing with the 21st century state of Marzal (focus on Tyroc) or Starhaven (focus on Dawny) or the Durlan technology that's been floating around the earth since the old Invasion series (and been used much more recently as backstory for other characters, allowing a secondary mission for Yera, to collect misappropriated Durlan tech, some of which might actually be made from living Durlans!).

Would political animal Gates get the wild notion to teleport to the coordinates where Vyrga should be in this time period, in the hopes of giving his species a head start (or just some governmental advice!), after having discovered that the Vyrga of this 'classic' universe no longer existed in the 31st century? (Being willing to change history to save this universes version of his homeworld!)

Does Iris Jacobs / Diamondeth still exist, and would the Legion Lost be called upon to connect with one of the few 21st century humans to know of their existence?

Would they hook up with Superman, a past ally? Or Booster Gold, who may or may not have time travel experiences with them as well?

So many Legion / DCU-related plots, pretty much never touched upon, with the 'Legion' focus being mostly about government teams, retconned conspiracies, or that Harvest / Culling garbage, any of which could have been done with any seven random characters DC wanted to throw at the wall, instead of Legionnaires.

For a book with 'Legion' in the title, other than having seven Legionnaires in it, it wasn't very 'Legion-y' at all. (And the longer it went on, the more out of character the characters became, with the secrets and conspiracies, and the hints of Dawny dumping Drake for Brin.)

At the end of the day, I think to myself, 'Was this worth breaking up the Gim / Yera marriage off-panel? (The same way Mon & Shady were broken up, come to think of it...) I think not.'

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#615507 10/16/12 04:16 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I think it's a testament to how awesome these 7 Legionnaires are, in concept, that I found the character interactions between them the highlight of the book. If it had been a different bunch of Legionnaires I may not have remained a reader as long as I did...

Originally posted by Reboot:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
[b]Although it was nice seeing some focus on these 7 Legionnaires for a bit (especially the underused Gates and Yera)... YAHOO! THEY'RE GOING HOME! At least, I hope so...
Gates isn't... shake [/b]
Makes me frown beyond compare.

Originally posted by superboymddjr:
I am sick of Brainiac 5, Saturn Girl, Ultra boy being panel- hogging!
IMO those three seem to be consistent panel hogs in every 'Boot tongue

#615508 10/16/12 06:43 AM
Active
Active
I also think issue #10 was a lost opportunity to re-write the series when the lost Legionnaires found themselves lost in a changed future. It could have been a great storyline had they been lost in time and space searching for the rest of the Legion and what had happened to earth, rather than returning to the failed 21st century backdrop.

Plus Pete Woods could have been allowed to showcase his amazing sci-fi art talents. He really needs a chance to draw for a good sci-fi book. His aliens are fantastic.

#615509 10/16/12 12:32 PM
S
Active
Active
S
I cannot say I am going to miss the book as the few issues I did read were not very good and it features some of my least favourite Legionnaires.

The bit I still cannot really understand though is how they ever thought this book would be able to attract enough interest to be viable beyond a maxi-series.

So I suppose in that sense it should be applauded for lasting as long as it did.

#615510 10/16/12 01:50 PM
I am sick of Brainiac 5, Saturn Girl, Ultra boy being panel- hogging!
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac: IMO those three seem to be consistent panel hogs in every 'Boot tongue
*BLUSH* I would read a series devoted to Brainiac 5. Seriously. I've had a crush on almost every incarnation of him i've ever seen. I even *sort* of liked the Threeboot version, despite only seeing 9 issues of it.

I'll be over here being ashamed of my fangirlism.

#615511 10/16/12 06:43 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer

I think that's one of the neater things about the Legion--there isn't some set corporate standard that these characters can be, they can die, or retire, and either new characters can fill in the roles, or new characters can steal the spotlight.[/QB]
And then they can be rebooted to mostly the Adventure Era cast plus more completely new people! wink

#615512 10/16/12 11:03 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Jay Kay:
Originally posted by Legion Tracker:
[b]
[b]It seems like he is wanting to keep the team at 15 members or something. frown
I think he wants his new Academy kids to be the center, with the "real" Legionnaires forming a setting around them. It's time to take those younguns back to another Academy book (the previous book was much better than Legion Lost has been) and let us have the real Legion of Super-Heroes back.[/b]
I wouldn't want to say the "real" Legion of Super-Heroes, since I'm sure there were people who were saying the same thing when, say, Ferro Lad, Karate Kid and Princess Projectra came on, and then again with Wildfire and Dawnstar.

I think that's one of the neater things about the Legion--there isn't some set corporate standard that these characters can be, they can die, or retire, and either new characters can fill in the roles, or new characters can steal the spotlight.[/b]
Calling them the "real" Legion was just snarkiness on my part. I discovered the Legion right after Ferro Lad died, some 40+ years ago, and since then I've bought and read every Legion book as it came out. I've seen all those new members join over the years and I've liked most of them. I've seen all the deaths and transformations and reboots. You're right, Jay Kay, about how the creators' freedom to play with these characters is a neat thing.

I'm not the same reader I was back when I started reading Legion, of course, so I don't know what my 14-year-old self would think of the current books. But the "now" me thinks the current "Legion of Super-Heroes" book is an inferior doppelganger of anything it used to be. We can't figure out if these are really the characters we used to know from any 'boot, although they're strangely close enough. Past stories we've read are referenced but the impact of them on these characters' lives is not explored in any depth. And instead of giving us that fullness of character and story exploration, the writer gives us several new kids who, in my opinion, aren't bringing the essence of Legion-ness that's made me a fan all these years. The kids were much better in that regard, and I enjoyed reading about them, in the Academy stories in the Adventure book. But when they have such prominence as part of the Legion they're a distraction from what I really want to see. But then, I'm sure I'm not the target audience for this book.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
#615513 10/16/12 11:29 PM
J
Substitute
Substitute
J
Oh, I hear you, man--any blahness with the book doesn't have to do with bad characters, but from not really utilizing them well.

As for the history, like with a lot of the New 52, I'm kind-of presuming that at the very least something very similar happened until proven otherwise. I honestly don't understand how Flashpoint could have even affected the timeline in the 31st Century.

If anything, I would think doing that would open up some more fresh, interesting ideas for the book, especially since you basically have stuff from two whole universes to play with.

What if a Daemonite joined the Legion?

What happened the the Parliament of Trees and the Red? Is it possible that other planets in the UP have their equivalents as well? What if they united?

Considering how the young, t-shirt Superman's been characterized in Action Comics, was his tenure as Superboy in the Legion different? I would imagine he would probably be more bombastic, and would actually require the flight ring.

We know what happened to the Green Lanterns--but what about the rest of the Emotional Spectrum?

And so on and so forth. There's a LOT of interesting potential they could play with here, but instead we get the Legion fighting bland Daxamites and Dominators for a year.

#615514 10/17/12 01:56 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally posted by Conjure Lass:
[b] I am sick of Brainiac 5, Saturn Girl, Ultra boy being panel- hogging!
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac: IMO those three seem to be consistent panel hogs in every 'Boot tongue
*BLUSH* I would read a series devoted to Brainiac 5. Seriously. I've had a crush on almost every incarnation of him i've ever seen. I even *sort* of liked the Threeboot version, despite only seeing 9 issues of it.

I'll be over here being ashamed of my fangirlism.[/b]
I have no issues with Brainy being a "panel hog" since he is also one of my all-time faves. I think any "panel hog" complaints for any character come when the writers ignore some tongue Like in the DNA era, Gates and XS and Violet were noticeably dumped in the background while Brainy, Imra, Ultra Boy and Kid Q II kept getting spotlighted. In the current series... well, Invisible Jacques is living up to his name, for one. And where the heck is Quislet?

As for the New Kids, they definitely have potential - but now we have Chemical Kid being an arrogant lost new kid, Glorith not doing anything, and Harmonia still being as annoyingly mysterious as ever. Urgh.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,938
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires