Roll Call
0 members (), 9 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Alexander - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Ann Hebistand - 04/17/24 02:16 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/17/24 08:45 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:42 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/16/24 11:16 PM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 16 April 24
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/16/24 01:19 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Season Two excitement! *Spoiler Warning*
#617952 09/23/07 01:50 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It's still a thrill for me to be watching a Legion cartoon! I loved the way they got right into action, getting this new season underway.

I have NO problem with the clone Superman from the future.

I just don't see Brainy's idolization of Superman as a gay thing, but I don't want to take that away from anyone who is enjoying it as such. I do think it's funny that Timber Wolf made a "out to a movie" crack about it.

I have a feeling that wasn't the last we'll hear about White Trip's death. We'll see.

I'm patient with the "core" cast.

I'm just looking forward to MORE ... of everything.

#617953 09/23/07 02:01 AM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:

I have a feeling that wasn't the last we'll hear about White Trip's death.
I agree.

#617954 09/23/07 02:39 AM
Substitute
Substitute
I don't see how she was unconcerned with it. Her other 2 duplicates were on their knees crying about to die if it wasn't for Cham and another team mate saving them/her. Also I don't see how Sup X wasn't showing any concern for his parents dying. The man was trying to hold back tears.

I also agree with Sketch Lad about the whole Brainy Sups thing. Sups is just his hero, THATS IT. Does anyone call Jimmy Olsen gay? He idolizes Superman to.

Jin Rai!!!
#617955 09/23/07 04:04 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I've got it!

They needed to get rid of White Trip so she wouldn't be confused with Dream Girl, who will be moving into the forefront this season!

#617956 09/23/07 10:34 AM
Substitute
Substitute
And so season two gets off to a fast start with overt nods to the comics (death of Trips; time travel from the future; lots of smashing) which this old-timer appreciates. I hope the intro of Superman-X doesn't mean less screen time for the Legionnaires because there are a lot of cast members that have yet to be given major roles in the series. Season three anyone?

#617957 09/23/07 12:12 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I want back my white Trips. frown
White lipstick kisses are the best!

Jin Rai!!!
#617958 09/23/07 01:21 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Can't believe I missed it!

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#617959 09/23/07 06:14 PM
L
lm8 Offline
Substitute
Substitute
L
Was sorry to see them eliminate one part of Triplicate Girl. Also, wasn't thrilled when they got rid of Ferro Lad last season. Guess they want to follow the comic books. It is a kid's show though, so killing people off is not exactly the best subject for kids to be watching. Personally, I prefer not seeing the good guys get killed off or eliminated. It's one of the reasons I've found myself watching more kids shows lately (along with wanting to see more good storyline and characterization and less bad language, gratuitous sex and violence), but I guess they're trying to emulate material for older audiences (which I don't particularly like).

As to Brainiac 5 at the beginning of the show, my impression was that he came across as a major fan. Am sure you can find lots of Mary Sue stories on the Internet and lots of stories with hurt/comfort or character deaths and some are probably worse than what Brainiac 5 came up with. Just surprised a 12 level intellect would indulge himself in the equivalent of writing what in our century would be considered a Mary Sue story about Superman and himself. However, at least he gets to use a holodeck style simulator to do it and fans in this century have to settle for just using words or drawings. Brainiac 5 may be older than last season, but he's coming across so far this season pretty much as a kid on an emotional level. He was also extremely easily manipulated by Superman X, just like a kid. He wasn't going to go through the time doorway which would have been the smart, adult thing to do. All Superman X had to do was make a crack about 'Brainiac' and Brainy was not thinking it through any more, just reacting and not being careful about what he was doing. I can see where they needed the intro holodeck part so the ending could come full circle. Just wish they'd found another way to do it, without another death scene which came across as rather poor fan fiction. (Can't we expect better writing from a 12th level intellect?) Superman X practically used Brainiac 5's own words, so Brainiac 5 realized Superman X wasn't as bad as he first thought. However, it's interesting to note that the dialogue that Brainy said was almost Superman-like was his dialogue in the holo video, not Superman's. He really seems to want to see himself following in Superman's footsteps. The really sad part about it was that despite the best of intentions and having the right friends around to influence him and keep him out of trouble, Brainiac 5 still ends up being blamed for doing bad things in the future by the inhabitants of the 41st century. It makes a very interesting dynamic between Brainiac 5 and Superman X and is very good for characterization, but it's rather a depressing thought to base their interaction on the fact that Brainiac 5's wanting to do good just wasn't enough in this particular case. I did like that Brainiac 5's friends stood by him the whole time and didn't pay much attention to Superman X's accusations. We don't know how much they know about his background, but they seem to trust that he's one of them and didn't treat him any differently because of what anyone else might say.

Someone else mentioned in the thread that the Legion now had to fight to save the 31st century and restore the future. However, it could be just as likely that with the interference of Imperiux and the Legion members coming back from the future, they might end up creating a new future that's different from the previous version and from Imperiux's new version. That would give Brainiac 5 one more chance to learn from his mistakes, assuming he can learn from Superman X how to prevent them, either by prior knowledge or by learning something from Superman X that the Legion and Superman obviously couldn't teach him. That would also leave Superman X without a timeline, a bit of time anomaly, but since he wasn't automatically destroyed when his universe was, obviously it works within their rules of physics there. Found myself comparing this to Stargate SG1's rules where time travel just creates a new reality and doesn't destroy the old one. Usually don't like the way Stargate handles time travel, but this is one case where I would have preferred their methods.

I liked the character interaction and hope we'll see more of it. It's nice seeing lots of different members of the Legion during battles and seeing them work together on plans as in last season. However, when they're going into characterization, it's nicer to see them work with a smaller group of characters as they've been doing. Rotating the characters they emphasize would be fine too, if they write good character interaction that viewers can relate to. Would be nice to see more of what the Legion members do when they're not fighting bad guys and when they're just being themselves. Doesn't sound like we'll see much of that this season though.

Am hoping for less character deaths here on out, less two-parters and more background information on the Legion and its members. At least hope this season will be as good as the last one (especially since they've made so many changes that will take time to get used to) and I'll be happy if we get that.

#617960 09/23/07 07:16 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
The second season has hit the ground running at super-speed. What impressed me the most was how much the premier accomplished in only half an hour.

*We learn that the Legionnaires are older.
*Superman hasn't been around in awhile.
*Chameleon Boy has joined.
*Triplicate Girl becomes Duo Damsel.

All of the above is just expository or extra information that doesn't have much to do with the main plot of Superman X and Imperiex. Yet these details were woven into the story seamlessly without being jarring or confusing (though I, too, missed it if Cham's name was ever mentioned).

Though nonstop action, the story hit all the right emotional buttons, as well. I was moved to learn that K3NT was inspired by the Legion to create Superman X, just as the Legion was inspired by the original Superman. What comes around goes around, even in cycles of a thousand years, it seems.

Brainiac 5's disappointment that Superman X is nothing like the Superman he remembers was easy to identify with. Brainy wants Superman's approval, and this desire obviously carries over to this version of Superman, even though Brainy outwardly rejects Superman X as being the real thing. We're also left with a tantalizing mystery of why a Brainiac is remembered in the 41st century as deceitful.

I wasn't expecting Lu's third self to die in the premiere, but her death was handled extremely well. It echoed her demise in Adventure Comics # 341, insofar as she was grabbed by a robot tentacle. There obviously wasn't much time for the remaining duo to mourn, but what we did see was touching. Overcome by grief, they collapsed in front of the antimatter blobs and would have died if not for their quick-acting teammates.

The crimson antimatter blobs made me think of nothing so much as the crimson skies in Crisis on Infinite Earths. But I can live with the "homages" to past stories because it worked so well in this context. The premiere accomplished what it was supposed to: Introduce this new version of Superman and give the Legion a bada$$ villain to challenge them. I'm looking forward to seeing how this story line is resolved, whether it takes one more episode or the entire season.

This story has a classic Legion feel to it, but doesn't reek of nostalgia. In other words, the animated series has done a bang-up job of updating and reinterpreting the Legion mythos in a way that easily trumps the comic book reboots.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#617961 09/23/07 07:48 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Dairaioh:
I don't see how she was unconcerned with it. Her other 2 duplicates were on their knees crying about to die if it wasn't for Cham and another team mate saving them/her. Also I don't see how Sup X wasn't showing any concern for his parents dying. The man was trying to hold back tears.

I also agree with Sketch Lad about the whole Brainy Sups thing. Sups is just his hero, THATS IT. Does anyone call Jimmy Olsen gay? He idolizes Superman to.
Jimmy Olsen? doesn't he dress in drag from time to time? wink

as for Brainy, I know it's just supposed to be hero worship. but that halo scene was rather over the top. granted it was no Mr. Burns swooping naked through Smither's window, but really...

#617962 09/23/07 07:56 PM
Substitute
Substitute
That was fun, right from the prickling holo-romance over the pumped-up credits to the smashy fight action.

Where I went in expecting to hate the main robot demolisher, Superman X doesn't actually strike me as all that bad. Yes, he's as humourless and aggressive as I've feared, but it helps a lot that he isn't selfishly motivated in his actions. In any media, when there's someone who has to be taught how to be a team player, I usually expect them to have personality flaws such as a thirst for glory which hamper their ability to play well with others. Superman X (Jeez, is that a dumb name or what? Makes you cringe when you have to type it), on the other hand, either doesn't seem to have an elevated opinion of himself or derive any joy from being so "super". It's as he says; doesn't matter whether he's a coward or a hero as long as he gets the job done.

Poor cloned weapon-boy, after the Legion is through with humanising you, you'll probably have grown on me.

I hope that Brainy, on the other hand, doesn't change his amusingly disturbing ways. Doesn't matter if you interpret his Supes-infatuation as platonic or not. It manages to come across as very, very wrong in both cases; what with Brainy seeming to have some kind of masochistic death-wish in the service of atoning for his ancestor's sins. And his smirk after the simulation! I just... what were they thinking? lol

All in all, there was a lot of cool new stuff going on, with Cham and his appreciation for the beauty of the universe's end and the offbeat K3NT and so on, so I'm not gonna niggle extendedly about everything concerning emotions - such as the reactions to the deaths or Brainy's 180° concerning his opinion on Superman X - going by way too fast.

Looking forward to the rest of the season.

#617963 09/24/07 01:27 AM
Substitute
Substitute
You know something I don't wamu2 ?

Jin Rai!!!
#617964 09/24/07 02:00 AM
Candidate
Candidate
Originally posted by Tromium:
I don't want read too much into it, but he seemed positively ecstatic "dying" in holo-Superman's arms.
I got a good laugh off of that one, Tromium! Then I started thinking more about it. Let me just get this out of the way first. Yes, I thought that Brainy’s “death” scene was over the top. The more I watched this scene the less it seemed like mere hero worship. The grandiosity of the scene is an echo of Brainy’s desire to redeem the name “Brainiac.”

The opening sequence is a culmination of everything Brainy desires: recognition of his humanity (as close as he can get to being human, anyway) and absolution of the evil associated with the name “Brainiac.”

“You may not be human, but you have the biggest heart I’ve ever seen. You’re a true hero.” Holo-Superman

The fact that he programs “Superman” to deliver those lines provides Brainy with a sense of closure and subsequent satisfaction. Unfortunately, it’s a temporary fix since Brainy has apparently played out these types of scenes over and over again. The poor boy is torturing himself. It’s little wonder that Brainiac 5 is taken aback by Superman X’s cryptic references to Brainy’s future. I won’t elaborate because Im8 has summed it up well.

Originally posted by Im8:
The really sad part about it was that despite the best of intentions and having the right friends around to influence him and keep him out of trouble, Brainiac 5 still ends up being blamed for doing bad things in the future by the inhabitants of the 41st century. It makes a very interesting dynamic between Brainiac 5 and Superman X and is very good for characterization, but it's rather a depressing thought to base their interaction on the fact that Brainiac 5's wanting to do good just wasn't enough in this particular case.

#617965 09/24/07 12:09 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Dairaioh:
You know something I don't wamu2 ?
in All Star Superman Jimmy was in drag for a story he was writing. and that scene was a call back to a silver age,I think, story featuring Jimmy in drag while researching a story.

#617966 09/24/07 12:31 PM
strange but not a stranger
Originally posted by Malvolio:
I enjoyed the episode. I was a little disappointed that my favorite, Cham, didn't get more of a spotlight, but if he's a regular this season, then it should happen soon enough.

As for Brainy's "man-crush" on Supes, I guess it's just a variation on his old continuity relationship with Supergirl. Since they weren't allowed to use Kara as originally planned (see the Legion episode of JLU), I guess this is their consolation prize for Brainy.
I never thought of Superman (or Superboy) as being a consolation prize.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#617967 09/24/07 12:36 PM
Originally posted by wamu2:
okay. good, I thought maybe I was just reading too much into it. just hope that guy that hates the teletubies doesn't tune in. he will really go on a crusade.
Jerry Falwell passed away. This might have killed him if he had lived to see it.

#617968 09/24/07 12:52 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I think there was something in the Bible about "Robots shall not lie with Kryptonian men, for that is a sin."

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#617969 09/24/07 12:57 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I really enjoyed it. A bit dark but I like the change in tone. More my style...aww where was Bouncin Boy??? wink

#617970 09/24/07 01:04 PM
Devil's Advocate
Devil's Advocate
Originally posted by Spellbinder:
I think there was something in the Bible about "Robots shall not lie with Kryptonian men, for that is a sin."
LOL! That's the best answer to Brainy's man-crush on Superman that I've seen yet.

Watching television is not an activity.
#617971 09/24/07 01:26 PM
Wanderer
Online Confused
Wanderer
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
More my style...aww where was Bouncin Boy??? wink
He was there. He bounced by in the first scene .

#617972 09/24/07 01:39 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Haha, Brainy is just trying to produce the Oscar winning Holo-simulation of 3007. His "Brainback Mountain" is a story of heroes and love in uncertain times.

#617973 09/24/07 01:40 PM
At least it wasn't "I Now Pronounce You Querl and Clark"

#617974 09/24/07 03:25 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Hoes before Broes Clark. Remeber that!

Jin Rai!!!
#617975 09/25/07 04:49 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Most of my reactions have been covered, particularly the whole 'Brainy h/c fic' holodeck scene which was indeed over the top, but also funny (for all his intellect, Brainy's got abso-freaking-lutely *no* role model for emotional maturation, since his 'people,' don't do the whole emotion thing). Also interesting that the rest of the team knows all about his little holo-romance adventures and considers the whole thing amusing.

My point of contention would be with the presentation of Chameleon Boy. Very 'Beast Boy,' with the smart-alec (and anachronistically slang-laden) remarks. Of all the re-characterizations, Cham's bugs me most.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#617976 09/26/07 03:34 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I didn't particularly care for the episode, aside from the opening scene. Overall it just felt really generic and kind of boring. With all the great Legion villains out there, I'm not sure why they had to bring in someone like Imperiax, and then not even bother to try to make him anything more interesting than a generic invader of Earth with a robot army. And I despised the turning Cham into Beast Boy. And, of all the possible time travel plots they could use, there's none that irritates me more than the "going back in time to prevent Villain X from chaning history" plot. I didn't particularly care for the Trip/DD thing, either, which should've been a bigger deal than it was made out to be.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,017
Posts1,044,832
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden