Roll Call
1 members (idle, idle, idle, idle), 21 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/25/24 05:38 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:32 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:30 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/24/24 09:11 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:49 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: San Diego Comic-Con LSH panel
#628001 07/29/08 10:25 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
By the way, you can access the podlink of the panel through Pete Ross's link at the bottom of Page 2 of this thread.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#628002 07/29/08 11:20 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Glen Cadigan:
I like that Tom and Mary showed up as fans (they even had to wait in line to get in), but were then invited up on stage to participate. Whether you liked what they did on the Legion or not, they are former Legion pros, and it would have been disrespectful to leave them in the audience.
Yeah they deserved to be up there...they were creators.

And their version of Matter Eater Lad is all time great Legion stuff.

It's funny because it seems like TMK feel like the backlash against their run is aimed directly at them...but really what made everyone mad was the retcons, and they just happen to be the face of the retcons, and I don't think they realize it.

I also like that Mike Grell doesn't try to disassociate himself from the Legion. Let's face it: he's a big star, but when he's asked to do a Legion panel, he shows up. When he's asked to do a Legion cover, he does it. He doesn't diss Legion fans; in fact, he does just the opposite. Mike's a class act! [/QB]
Didn't Grell actually say in your book that if asked to do the Legion again he'd consider it, and if the circumstances were right he'd actually do it?

It's funny listening to Grell talk about the Legion, you can tell he hated the workload, and doesn't really understand why that era of his work is considered by so many people to be his best. I don't know what to tell him either...he drew the iconic version of the Legion to me. It's intended as a compliment.

I wonder if he looked up at Alex Ross' Legion drawing that was all over the con and realized...you know, that's my version of the Legion he's immortalized there.

I wonder if he knows that's one of the works for which Ross has kept the original for himself.

Grell's Legion is indelibly and for all time burned into my mind as the iconic Legion, and it was even before Ross did his litho. It was his Legion that was on the cover of all those tabloids when I became a Legion fan. It is awesome to see him sitting on a Legion panel...even if he doesn't really understand that his version of the Legion is to many Legion fans the definitive version.

#628003 07/30/08 10:09 AM
Ricardo Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
Did anyone scan this Alex Ross cover? I haven't seen it.

#628004 07/30/08 11:23 AM
Active
Active
Here's what I was talking about:

[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1200/958180659_e286cf5507.jpg?v=0[/img]

The actual Litho:

[Linked Image]

What indentifies that Legion as Grell's and not say...oh that of Dave Cockrum, are Cosmic Boy and Tryroc's costumes...actually that Tyroc is even in it.

#628005 07/30/08 02:15 PM
Ricardo Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
Very cool indeed. Hopefully, they will release a clean digital version of it somewhere.

#628006 07/30/08 02:21 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Glen Cadigan:
I like that Tom and Mary showed up as fans (they even had to wait in line to get in), but were then invited up on stage to participate. Whether you liked what they did on the Legion or not, they are former Legion pros, and it would have been disrespectful to leave them in the audience.

I also like that Mike Grell doesn't try to disassociate himself from the Legion. Let's face it: he's a big star, but when he's asked to do a Legion panel, he shows up. When he's asked to do a Legion cover, he does it. He doesn't diss Legion fans; in fact, he does just the opposite. Mike's a class act!
I fully agree to all points, Glen.

I was among those who began the appluase when they were added, and I'm pleases so many joined in.

And Grell has always been a class act. Say what you will about his ability to meet deadlines, but in terms of both ability and human character he is in a category with Eisner.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#628007 07/30/08 02:39 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Also, regarding the Alex Ross poster, the presence of Dawnstar, Night Girl's minimax outfit, and Karate Kid's Bruce Lee outfit (first appearance S/LSH 209?). Also perhaps Wildfire's "framed", not bubble-chinned, face plate (talk about AR!). It's very much Grell's Legion. While I prefer Cockrum's art, and his costume designs, Grell took the Legion to an even greater level of distinctiveness and sensuality. Grell was one of the highlights for the podcast for me, so gracious to Dave in particular. I wish he could have talked a bit more about the look he gave the Legion, and why.

FYI, the Alex Ross book "Mythology" at least has a nice high-quality print of the Legion poster in it. I bought an extra copy of the book and disassembled it for some artwork in my son's room.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#628008 07/30/08 03:44 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Actually Karate Kid's Bruce Lee outfit first appeared in Superboy 193, it was one of Cockrum's first designs for the Legion characters to make it in the book, he later changed his mind and put Val back in his old costume, luckily Grell brought it back in S/LSH 209.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.
#628009 07/30/08 08:14 PM
G
Substitute
Substitute
G
You know what I think every time I see that panel of Matter-Eater Lad colored red? Dark Matter-Eater Lad!

Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/GlenCadigan

or check out my website at http://www.glencadigan.com
#628010 07/30/08 08:43 PM
K
Substitute
Substitute
K
D'oh! I forgot to check the rest of the forums for commentary. Here\'s my wrap-up of Legion-related panels (where I saw many LegionWorlders). I wish the panel had been longer, of course, and I was a little surprised that Mark Waid wasn't there.

#628011 07/31/08 08:22 PM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
I was surprised to learn that the symbol on Shrinking Violet's green uniform is supposed to be an "S" and a "V"... I thought it was just an abstract shape not unlike the symbol adopted by the Artist Formerly Known as the Artist Formerly Known as Prince.

#628012 08/01/08 02:17 AM
Active
Active
and I was a little surprised that Mark Waid wasn't there.
Discretion is the better part of valor!

or should that be discretion is the better part of M'Onel?

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#628013 08/01/08 03:04 PM
Originally posted by STU:
I was surprised to learn that the symbol on Shrinking Violet's green uniform is supposed to be an "S" and a "V"... I thought it was just an abstract shape not unlike the symbol adopted by the Artist Formerly Known as the Artist Formerly Known as Prince.
I love learning new things about old stories such as this!

Another Grell revelation: Science Police Officer Dvron ("The Rookie Who Betrayed the Legion") was supposed to be black. Editor Murray Boltinoff told Grell, "You can't do that"--because he was concerned about a negative portrayal of a person of color! (Dvron does betray the Legion, though with good reason, and he turns out a hero in the end.)

For that matter, the discussion about why there were no black Legionnaires until Tyroc was illuminating. It wasn't, Levitz (?) said, that DC didn't want to do black characters; it was that they were afraid of doing it wrong and receiving nasty letters.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#628014 08/02/08 12:16 PM
Active
Active
They were also afraid of losing distribution in the South.

Jim Shooter said that's why Mort told him he couldn't make Ferro Lad black...

#628015 08/03/08 12:26 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I liked the fans' "about me" bits. Adds to the sense of community in Legion fandom. I don't think that the "why did the Threeboot happen?" question was out of line. It's a very legitamate one. Why indeed?

I think criticism of creative decisions and decisions is not unreasonable. It's when it becomes criticism of the actual people who make them that it becomes inappropriate. I don't think any of the questioners at this panel crossed this line, personally.

Fire in the disco! Fire in the Taco Bell! Fire in the disco! Fire in the gates of hell!!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,928
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden