Roll Call
1 members (Lard Lad, Lard Lad), 9 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/22/24 10:42 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 04/22/24 10:39 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:11 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/22/24 03:27 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/22/24 02:40 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 16 April 24
by razsolo - 04/21/24 04:25 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Justice League 3000....
Eryk Davis Ester #776279 06/19/13 10:17 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I like it. In a ideal world I wouldn't but the Legion book is struggling and I don't mind a shake up.

I also always wanted to see a few JL legacies in the Legion. A futuristic JL in the Legion setting? I am open to it.

I would've have rather had a Hawkgirl vs. Wonder Woman...but maybe she's a new god?

Eryk Davis Ester #776280 06/19/13 10:22 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Remember how excited Giffen was a few months back in his interviews about coming back to the Legion and the "reboot on the run"...long term plans ... and then "poof" he was gone after one issue...

And how many other DC NU52 series have started out with an all star creative team only to crash and burn after 1-2 issues or no issues completed at all because editorial kept changing agreed upon plots and stories?

Yeeeeeaaahhh....

And kudos to Nightcrawler..he nailed it with his comment. Don't use the Legion characters because you want something new so instead use the standard JLA line-up.....

BLECH!

Eryk Davis Ester #776284 06/19/13 12:23 PM
Deputy
Deputy
So, when are we all starting a "bring back the Legion" campaign?

Ze Frainch Legion fan
Eryk Davis Ester #776288 06/19/13 01:09 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
How about a "get the Legion away from DC Comics" campaign?

Yes, Nightcrawler made an excellent point. He should have been the one asking the questions for that interview.

I can't help but think that Giffen loves the Legion like the Joker loves Batman; keeps getting drawn back to it, but look at the results. That's a bit extreme, he has shaken things up and written interesting stories, but he's sort of dangerous if you're a Legion character.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Eryk Davis Ester #776292 06/19/13 02:14 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
Giffen interview about Justice League 3000 at Comic Book Resources.

Last edited by Chaim Mattis Keller; 06/19/13 02:15 PM.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
Eryk Davis Ester #776298 06/19/13 04:02 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
At least now I know where the first year of "Justice League 3000" is going, and it's going to pay off in a lot of different ways where people will cut us a break and stop screaming about, "They're canceling the Legion for this?!" No. They cancelled the Legion because it wasn't selling. Now we're doing this book. I'm sure, somewhere down the line, the Legion will come back. Relax. Maybe more people should have bought the book. How about that? I know it's a radical idea, but it's something you might want to consider.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Legion! The Legion is like a siren singing to me all the time. I keep returning to that book over and over again like a mental patient. But I'll tell you one thing -- the book wasn't selling enough to continue. The end.

Blaming the fans cause the creators can't create a good, readable series doesn't fill me with confidence about his wanting to tell good stories as he mentions later in the interview. Seriously, this is such blatant political BS about an obvious money-grab by a company that has creators with bankrupted creativity. He can spin this crap all he wants, I won't be blinded by the hype and hope Justice League 3000 tanks badly.

Maybe massacring a bunch of Legionnaires wasn't resonating with the fan base and that's why the book got cancelled? Nope. Let's blame the fans. Classy!

Last edited by Nightcrawler; 06/19/13 04:03 PM.
Nightcrawler #776299 06/19/13 04:41 PM
And then there was steak!
No. They cancelled the Legion because it wasn't selling. Now we're doing this book. Maybe more people should have bought the book. How about that? I know it's a radical idea, but it's something you might want to consider.

Oh, that really makes me want to go out and get LJ3K. As if I didn't hate the concept already, this cinches it for me.

The book wasn't selling enough because it was being written shoddily, had no solid art direction after Portela departed, and was simply a BAD BOOK.

Write us a good LOSH book and we'll buy it! How about that? I know it's a radical idea, but it's something you might want to consider.

Eryk Davis Ester #776300 06/19/13 04:42 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Ah yes, blame the fans. Always a good sign.

I'm just a passenger on this Legion of Super-Heroes flight. I paid my money and plunked my ass down in my seat. I never got up. I never jumped ship. I stayed through thick and thin.

And somehow it's *my* fault that the pilot flew us into the ground.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Eryk Davis Ester #776301 06/19/13 04:46 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Nightcrawler, you're shooting the messenger. The writing was on the wall sales-wise a LONG time before Giffen came near LSH v7, which was the lowest-selling DCU Legion title EVER (I suspect Blacula might have been right in the sales thread, and Giffen quit because he found out the book was gone in August anyway). DC cut JLI with #12, and it outsold Legion by 10k. The REPRINT of JLA #1 outsold LSH. After the last purge, LSH was the sixth lowest-selling "New 52" title. Said purge killed eight titles.

DC's big mistake was letting Levitz do the "New 52" relaunch of the book and continue virtually unchanged, given that v6 already sold pretty poorly (it was outsold by Batgirl, a title whose lead character was written out of continuity in the reboot...) and it needed the fillip of new blood. Now, when the book was deep underwater (Marvel would have cut it around the year mark with those numbers) was too late.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Set #776302 06/19/13 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Set

I'm just a passenger on this Legion of Super-Heroes flight. I paid my money and plunked my ass down in my seat. I never got up. I never jumped ship. I stayed through thick and thin.

And somehow it's *my* fault that the pilot flew us into the ground.

That's a really good metaphor. Very apt.

Eryk Davis Ester #776325 06/19/13 09:55 PM
S
Active
Active
S
I have spent probably thousands of dollars on DC products, I've given them free publicity by discussing their comics online, and I've been a loyal fan of theirs for twenty years. I care much more about the Legion than DC's executives do. I deserve better than this callous, insensitive treatment.

I wish that there was some way we actually *could* liberate the Legion from DC's control, like Fat Cramer suggests.

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
Eryk Davis Ester #776357 06/20/13 06:00 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
I read the interview again. Although I agree with him that the Legion was cancelled because of low sales, and not just because they wanted to launch Justice League 3000... the way he said it doesn't make me want to listen to what he has to say.

Eryk Davis Ester #776358 06/20/13 06:02 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
"Maybe the fans should have bought the book" is a terrible statement. However he meant it, it's disrespectful, whiny and unnecessarily sarcastic.

You don't have to have read "Legion of Super Heroes." You don't have to be familiar with the 31st Century. You don't have to read "Justice League" or any other books. We're putting it down here as if it's -- it is a new boo

So much for all the silver linings we've been hoping for. This really sounds like no Legionnaires will be returning at all!

I read the interview again. Although I agree with him that the Legion was cancelled because of low sales, and not just because they wanted to launch Justice League 3000... the way he said it doesn't make me want to listen to what he has to say.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 06/21/13 09:04 PM. Reason: added some text
Invisible Brainiac #776359 06/20/13 06:09 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac (13 minutes 55 seconds ago)

Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac (7 minutes 19 seconds ago)

Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac (5 minutes 25 seconds ago)

And we wonder why you have so many posts each month. tongue [There weren't even any posts between these!]

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Invisible Brainiac #776379 06/20/13 10:48 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
You don't have to have read "Legion of Super Heroes." You don't have to be familiar with the 31st Century. You don't have to read "Justice League" or any other books. We're putting it down here as if it's -- it is a new boo

So much for all the silver linings we've been hoping for. This really sounds like no Legionnaires will be returning at all!

Yeah, but again, I'd rather they not mess with the Legion, so that someone who can write it well doesn't have yet more baggage to deal with should he or she get the chance.

Not that it wouldn't be a reboot I suppose. But still, better to leave then out than screw them up.

Eryk Davis Ester #776387 06/20/13 12:12 PM
G
Substitute
Substitute
G
I agree with the thoughts expressed above.

Publishing a poorly written book with terrible art and then blaming the fans because they weren't buying enough copies is as tacky a statement as I've heard in quite some time.

What an A-hole!

And, as for DC placing JL3000 oh-so-coincidentally during the same time period as the Legion? Come on, DC. This is a slap in the face of the Legion fans and everyone knows it.

Eryk Davis Ester #776439 06/21/13 03:49 AM
Deputy
Deputy
There's a chance they may bring back the "alternate future timelines" concept.

Reboot #776464 06/21/13 10:25 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Reboot
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac (13 minutes 55 seconds ago)

Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac (7 minutes 19 seconds ago)

Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac (5 minutes 25 seconds ago)

And we wonder why you have so many posts each month. tongue [There weren't even any posts between these!]

I was overcome by emotion tongue But I've gone back and consolidated those posts - you're right, that's what the edit buttons are for smile

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 06/21/13 09:03 PM. Reason: added some text
Eryk Davis Ester #776703 06/23/13 11:06 AM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
Many of us, particularly long time readers, I think were raised on comics with a particular attention to continuity within a comic story, title, and between many titles. The idea of continuity has since gone out the window in DC comics, so the thought that a Justice League existing in the same century of our beloved Legion with all the contradictions that would create should not be a big concern (although I admit it totally irks me). We just witnessed the Fatal Five (or Four), the most reoccurring foe the Legion has faced, be retconned into forming for the first time for no apparent good reason and continuity thrown to the winds. If JL3000 is a hit, it will own DC's 31st century, and maybe we Legion fans will be thrown a bone with a one panel flyover shot of all the Legionnaires so the character trademarks will be sustained for another year. If JL3000 doesn't take off, it will be just another 31st century discontinuity blip that will disappear off the memory radar soon enough.

Last edited by Kid Quislet; 06/23/13 11:07 AM.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
Eryk Davis Ester #776721 06/23/13 01:00 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Like many Hawkmen.

Many many Hawkmen.

Eryk Davis Ester #776739 06/23/13 01:27 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Crisis on Infinite Hawkmen!

Starring The Legion of Substitute Hawkmen, the Teen Hawks and the Justice League of Thanagar!

Seriously, tho', what does pique my curiosity about this Justice League 3000 notion is how the Young Avengers, over at That Other Company (TM) managed to create a team of legacy Avengers that were kind of deliberate red herrings.

The Iron Man legacy? Kang the Conqueror. The Thor legacy? Not an Asgardian, not related to Thor, even tangentially, instead the son of the Scarlet Witch. The Hulk legacy? No gamma here, just the son of Captain Mar-Vell and a Skrull. The Patriot? Kinda sorta related to *a* Captain America, but not the one that was an Avenger, and not, initially, powered via a super-soldier formula.

I'd find it very interesting if DC had the creative gumption to also throw us a curve, and have the Batman legacy not be related to the Wayne family, but perhaps be connected to Man-Bat, or be a vampire or something, and the Superman legacy not be a Kryptonian or even super-powered, and instead be a descendent of John Henry Irons / Steel, and a rich dude with a 30th century upgrade of his famous ancestors armor, and that's only the mildest sort of curve, having the 'legacies' still be legacies of supporting characters or others in the primary characters own orbit (instead of going as far as Young Avengers did and having the Iron Man, Hulk and Thor 'legacies' be tied to completely different Avengers, or even, in Iron Lad's case, an Avengers *villain!*).

For example, a 30th century 'Flash legacy' that is actually descended from Doctor Light (Kimiyo, not Arthur, although Arthur might be even *more* intriguing...), and has the power to transform into light or generate blinding flashes of light, could be a radical and welcome departure from just another red-suited Speed Force dude.

A funky sort of 'reverse legacy' could be the Greek goddess of archery, Artemis, having been inspired by the Amazon champion who shared her Roman name of Diana, coming to earth to serve as a hero. That would be one hell of a legacy, for Wonder Woman to *inspire the goddess she was named after* to come and take up her mission in 'man's world' centuries later...

Marvel has already done some pretty awesome stuff with a legacy team, in the aforementioned Young Avengers, so I'm interested in seeing if DC has something clever in the tank as well.

If it's all just some lame uncreative 'Kryptonian-powered Superman legacy' and 'rich dude with gadgets Batman legacy,' then yeah, I'm not going to even bother reading issue 2 on the shelves, let alone shell out four bucks for it.

Set #776757 06/23/13 04:53 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally Posted by Set

Starring The Legion of Substitute Hawkmen, the Teen Hawks and the Justice League of Thanagar!

You may have been joking but at some point they really should make hay out of the continuity disaster of the Hawks.

Shining Son #776783 06/23/13 07:37 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Shining Son
Originally Posted by Set

You may have been joking but at some point they really should make hay out of the continuity disaster of the Hawks.

Hawk-peeps get no love. Tru fax.

A hawk-person on the League probably needs something else to keep up than 'flier with a mace.' Perhaps a hawk-archer, using nth metal arrows and a 'gravity bow' that breaks down into two curved nth metal blades for close combat? Something else else to add some zing.

Eryk Davis Ester #776845 06/24/13 12:04 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
I think a Hawk-person would have to explore the other applications of nth metal to truly keep up with the League. Batman is already the default "gadget" person. I'm reminded of the JL Animated Hawkgirl, who had trouble being taken seriously by most of my peers at first until she began blowing up really big stuff with her mace.

Shining Son #776852 06/24/13 12:40 AM
in hiding
in hiding
Originally Posted by Shining Son
Originally Posted by Set

I thought they had done a decent job of straightening it out in the Justice Society book, but of course, being DC, they had to go and mess it up all over again with the new 52 version.

First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. The rest is history.
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,900
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden