Roll Call
0 members (), 13 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/23/24 08:21 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/23/24 06:45 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 04/23/24 05:45 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 04/23/24 05:43 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by rickshaw1 - 04/23/24 04:12 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/23/24 03:50 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: LSH #40 ... SPOILERS!
#37321 03/27/08 08:47 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I'm pretty sure Garth ordered the decaf for Brainy because B5 was the only blonde yelling in his ear when it was time for everyone to "chill" for a moment.

About Trip and Jan -- now I'm really getting scared about the forthcoming wedding. Does anyone really like them as a romantic couple? Not me.

#37322 03/27/08 09:01 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm guessing the wedding is Wolf/Princess.

#37323 03/27/08 09:42 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The Legion is bringing sexy back.

Sorry had to do it, but this issue is fierce.

LL's bedroom, KK coming in like a stud.

Great read in my opinion.

#37324 03/27/08 09:47 AM
Active
Active
There's a wedding?

I really enjoyed this issue, with LL showing that he is a strong leader (yay resolution) with IK using detective skills and being sneaky (and Brainy being sneaky as well sending a team out without LL knowing) the character interaction (esp Ultra Boy pulling Cham's antena).

I really liked the scene where everyone was discussing Imra's actions, to me that is how you show inter-team conflict, not just by having someone insult Ultra Boy. I really liked how they took sides and had a debate (kinda), it shows they aren't all mindless and each has their own viewpoint. Nice.

My only complaint is that I don't see Timber Wolf, I see Wolverine, he is a bit too feral and violent for my taste. Waid's characterization was never quite as crazy violent and it just bugs me that that is what we are seeing so much of. I really don't want to read about Wolverine in ANY comic, much less a DC one!

However, I was really surprised at how Brin greeted Projectra by kissing her hand, very gentalmanly but five seconds prior he was talking about ripping people throats out. I hope to see more about the influence she has on him. (which judging by the ending we will see).

Really liked Ayla in this, especially the moments between her and Garth, nice sibling touch (which always seemed to be lacking in other incarnations). I also think Ayla would make a strong leader, she certainly comes across as very strong and about the Legion in this version.

Good stuff.

Long Live the Legion!
#37325 03/27/08 11:10 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
This was a fun read, I was on the verge of taking another Legion hiatus (the last one was 15 years long.)

I'm a huge Kitson fan; and according to Dennis Calero, I make up about 20% of his fan base, but I'm on board with Francis now -- really, naked Garth in bed was not the turning point, really.

The lack of slang was refreshing. Shooter's style is very narrative/dialog intensive. The slang is distracting.

Coffee line: I interpreted the decaf to be for Dream Girl -- sort of an in-joke between Brainy and his cerebral playmate.

With the exception of Timberwolf and Projectra, I like Shooter's evolutionary growth of the characters Waid was establishing. And I can accept the undesirable transformations of those two characters given the storylines -- Projectra becomes antisocial after having her entire world destroyed -- I hope she killed a Terra Forma member. Timberwolf loses control as his ferocious feral aspect assumes more prominence. Sad, in both cases, but reasonable.

looking forward to 41 and beyond.

#37326 03/27/08 11:47 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Lad Boy:
-- really, naked Garth in bed was not the turning point, really.
You should say it WAS the reason so we see MORE of naked Garth smile More naked Garth !

Naked Timber might be nice too!

#37327 03/27/08 03:25 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Lad Boy:

Coffee line: I interpreted the decaf to be for Dream Girl -- sort of an in-joke between Brainy and his cerebral playmate.
isn't the list of people who know about that small? as far we know dream boy, phantom girl, and imra know? (I'm not counting cosmic boy because he cant tell any one) Atom girl doesn't even know

i think that was meant for like a take a chill pill
Originally posted by Tromium:
I'm pretty sure Garth ordered the decaf for Brainy because B5 was the only blonde yelling in his ear when it was time for everyone to "chill" for a moment.

About Trip and Jan -- now I'm really getting scared about the forthcoming wedding. Does anyone really like them as a romantic couple? Not me.
i dont like them as a couple, but then again we haven't really seen that much of there personalty
in this legion yet jan hasn't really done anything of any type of value yet

but i am routing for a break up now that science police officer Shvaugh is coming to the picture (i thought they were a good couple, they had real problems with him constantly having to leave for legion duty's.)

side note:

any one else getting really sick of the UP all up in the legion business? i wish that would stop sometime soon, cant then send in someone smart(it doesn't have to be brainy it can be IK or one of the other smart people on the team they have a few) that could work together to get different contract made up? hell they could get matter eater lad to write one up, if any thing the legion is like a SP force but with super powers, and you dont see any of the crap the legion is going threw on that on the Sp end

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#37328 03/27/08 05:20 PM
Active
Active
at some point I am sure the legion will find a loophole in the contract, or they will do something so politically upsetting that the UP will ask them to resign in order to save face.

#37329 03/27/08 06:30 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
I thought it was an OK issue. The interpersonal stuff was good - especially Garth's leadership development. I had a good read until about 2/3 of the way in (I think about the point when the story started forking off with the Projectra stuff) and then I started to get a bit bored.

I think the problem there for me is that the Projectra character isn't really doing anything for me (and never really has). I also find that I am STILL warming up to most of these characters.

I think Shooter is doing an excellent job in keeping the characters in sync with what has come before in this version, but developing them further - which is why ultimately I think this is a good read.

Interested in the Post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion? Check out:

The Reboot Legion Timeline

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

#37330 03/27/08 06:47 PM
Candidate
Candidate
This issue has officially restored my faith in this comic!

There are a lot of lines that I enjoyed but my favorite exchange is:

KK: Brainiac 5 wouldn’t send us here without authorization, would he?
Trip: That’s a joke, right?

I especially liked the panel where Brainy has his hand is over his face when the decontamination crew comes in and the panel below that one where Brainy’s hands are on his head.

Poor Brainy keeps getting blown off. I’ve seen that happen in the other Legion comics and in the animated series. That joke never gets old!
hmmm

#37331 03/27/08 10:51 PM
Candidate
Candidate
So Garth is weak and ineffective as a leader... until Imra returns.

Hmmm...

Really, really, glad Shooter is dropping the depiction of Brainy as a major pain the butt. And B-5's new teleportation system can't be traced, in case Shooter returns to the "Legion on the run" story line from the past...

#37332 03/28/08 06:56 AM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
I thought it was another great issue. We get to see a large number of Legionnaires, and not just standing around the clubhouse. We get the background on why Saturn Girl will not tamper (anymore) with the minds of fellow Legionnaires, unless in an emergency. This was often spoken about in past versions, but never really illustrated before. The different arguments for/against makes for dynamic interaction between team members without a physical slugfest.

I find it interesting that T-Wolf and Phantom Girl seem at odds with each other in this version, in contrast to the "Cub" storyline in the previous version.

While I'm not panicking yet, Light Lass seems to be Lightning Lad's sister rather than her own person (IMO) in the past four issues. It was good to see her on the cover, but she needs a good, solid mission sometime soon.

I also agree with the post that mentions Brainy being Brainy 5 again rather than Vril Dox. Mr. Shooter is doing a great job!

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#37333 03/28/08 07:38 AM
Leader
Leader
I thought Saturn Girl went awfully quickly from self-righteous mind controller to contrite apologizer. Stand up for what you believe, Imra! And why would T Wolf call her for help of all the Legionnaires he could've called, mere hours after he was supposedly trying to kill her? And since when does Timber Wolverine say please? This seems like pretty extreme flip flopping on the characterization of these 2 iconic personalities to me.

Overall, it was a good read though. I enjoyed seeing 17 whopping Legionnaires appear in one issue for a change, instead of just a handful. And the interaction was handled pretty well. Which begs the question: When are we going to see the missing members again? Sun Boy and Dream Boy were missing from the action. But more importantly, when do we get to see Dream Girl and Mon-El again? and Tenzil! Cosmic Boy was so overused by Waid, that his leave of absence can be extended for a while before I start missing him.

The cover seemed overly dramatic considering it was only portraying a practice drill. Seems like Wolf going for Imra's throat or Shady duking it out with the alien thingy or Projectra committing murder would've been better cover choices.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#37334 03/28/08 09:00 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Size Lad:
So Garth is weak and ineffective as a leader... until Imra returns.

Hmmm...

interesting point. perhaps Imra has been subtly highlighting Garth's leadership qualities. or perhaps it just that he had a good nights sleep and didn't try to respond to every single phone call. time will tell.

#37335 03/28/08 09:55 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
The art was very spotty on this one, and I fear that Francis may have benefitted a lot from the longer lead-time of those first few issues, and that this might be what he looks like on a monthly schedule. That would make me sad, 'cause I *loved* his art in the first issues. It was very noticeable in the various characters faces, and Giselle's parents looked radically different than Giselle and the others Tritonians in earlier issues.

Star Boy was floating the whole time. I thought that was an interesting touch, the others walking in and Star Boy floating in, and remaining floating even while chatting with Colossal Boy. Just one of those strange little details that leapt out at me.

The argument was also neat.

Star Boy (who was there), Phantom Girl, Brainy and Trip on Saturn Girl's side.

Shadow Lass, Violet and Element Lad strongly against (although Element Lad's argument made him seem again the philsopher type who is reciting stuff he read, rather than having firm convictions of his own, of the 'anti' side, I must identified with Violet).

Invisible Kid kinda sorta against with the whole 'technically a felony' line. Ultra Boy not picking sides, but ready to stand between Phantom Girl and Timber Wolf (aw).

Colossal Boy just standing in the middle, not picking any side. Cham, KK and Ayla also kept their yaps shut, so it's hard to say what 'side' they would be on, if any.

Wouldn't be an irony of epic proportions if Projectra over-reacted and Brin asked Imra to use her powers to 'cover it up?' Situational ethics indeed!

I would have preferred to see a little more Iron Butt in that confrontation as well. Telepathy is her power. If Timber Wolf attacks her, she's well in her rights to fry his brain. 'Cause that's what she does. Nobody is telling Garth that he's not allowed to use *his* powers if someone attacks him!

Then again, the way Garth was looking at Imra in that scene, I wonder if there was some sub-conversation going on telepathically. Something else else like, "Babe, you have to be smarter about this. Remember the 11th Commandment; 'Don't get caught!'"

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#37336 03/28/08 10:46 AM
Active
Active
does any one else think it would have been funnier if Brainy offered everyone food be for he sent them off

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#37337 03/28/08 12:21 PM
Active
Active
I think Imra's aplogy/promise to never do it again was a bit hollow, as in she realized a) it was better to keep the peace than divide the Legion and b) next time she won't let anyone know she's doing it

I don't think this is the end of mind manipulating Imra, I think something major is going to have to happen for her to realize it isn't right to control people like she did/does

Long Live the Legion!
#37338 03/28/08 05:46 PM
R
Applicant
Applicant
R
Originally posted by kidflash2fan:
does any one else think it would have been funnier if Brainy offered everyone food be for he sent them off
Oh man, that would have been cool!

#37339 03/28/08 10:40 PM
K
Active
Active
K
An okay issue -- better than #39, but not as strong as 37 and 38.

Really, this title reads like a collection of vignettes. Yeah, some of these are interesting, but where's the story? And the ending seemed abrupt.

Most of the characters seem as harsh and shallow as the Waid legion. Don't know how much more of this I can put up with.

I noticed that I liked T. Wolf's costume much better without the stupid trenchcoat. Just wish it was orange with the middle vertical strip being dark.

#37340 03/28/08 10:45 PM
K
Active
Active
K
Originally posted by wamu2:
anyone care to guess what Giselle is up to?
The better question might be, :does anyone care about Giselle (period)?

I know I don't. The Legion has enough smart asses already. And her powers weren't very impressive. Besides having an alien physiology, I don't see where she would add anything to the Legion.

#37341 03/28/08 10:50 PM
S
Active
Active
S
I care about Giselle!

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#37342 03/28/08 11:12 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
lol

Well there! That's at least 3 of us. tongue

#37343 03/29/08 07:31 AM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally posted by wamu2:
Originally posted by Size Lad:
[b]So Garth is weak and ineffective as a leader... until Imra returns.

Hmmm...

interesting point. perhaps Imra has been subtly highlighting Garth's leadership qualities. or perhaps it just that he had a good nights sleep and didn't try to respond to every single phone call. time will tell. [/b]
If Garth had the sense that the all-mighty gave him he would have to be questioning whether Imra has been "subtly" influencing him all along. he seems like just that kind of girl to me.

So what.
#37344 03/29/08 09:43 AM
Substitute
Substitute
I liked this issue, it was fun, and there ws some action in there, but it also seemed to be a bit of a filler episode - something is building up here, adn I doubt that it will end happily...

Isn't anyone else's Spidey Sense kicking in over Garth? He's gone from bumbling Leader-Idiot to In Control Guy in the space of an issue. I bet the kid int eh chair has something to do with it and he's being influenced somehow.

Negatives: Imra controlling someone with her powers and then getting in trouble for it - ooh, such an original storyline.
Wait a second, no it's not, we've seen it ALL before in Legion Lost when there were greater consequences from it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm quite liking the new turn the book is taking, but it seems to me it's just being turned into the OLD Legion - Brainy is still super-smart, but has a totally different personality from one about 5 issues ago and is turning into the Pre-Threeboot Brainy. Certainly not a bad thing, but it's all been done before, and the tension between him and Rokk certainly was interesting - where's all that gone? (Why haven't they just have Brainy read the bloody UP contract and find a way out of it?)
Seems like they're trying to re-establish the OLD personalities more than build on what Waid established...

#37345 03/29/08 11:00 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by insanelad:
Negatives: Imra controlling someone with her powers and then getting in trouble for it - ooh, such an original storyline.
Wait a second, no it's not, we've seen it ALL before in Legion Lost when there were greater consequences from it.
What consequences did reboot Imra suffer from the terrible abuse of her powers in Legion Lost except a slap on the hand? She should've been court martialed but the whole thing was swept under the rug and forgotten once the survivors got home. Ditto her manipulating Cosmic Boy's unconscious body like a puppet. Zero consequences for her.

Imra's account is way, way past due -- since Adventure #304 and the medallion fiasco. Make her pay up, Mr. Shooter. Not the Jean Grey treatment, but ... something.

(Sorry to rant -- Imra makes me so dang mad sometimes.)

I'm not reading anything into LL's turnaround except a good night's sleep and a chance to de-stress his body and mind, and restore some of his self-confidence. I think the main point of his personal arc over the last 4 issues was to show he's no Einstein and he can be emotionally wonky and wangsty sometimes, but once he gets a grip on himself he may be better leader material than people who are smarter but less ethical (like Imra & Brainy, whose joint mantra has been "the end justifies the means").

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,912
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Super Lad Kid
Super Lad Kid
Michigan
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star