Roll Call
1 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 33 Murran Spies, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:07 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:06 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:05 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:05 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:04 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/29/24 03:38 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:24 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: S/LSH 16 Preview...Spoilers
#58083 02/28/06 01:15 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Matthew E:
Am I the only one who thinks of the swinging sixties with the young vs old theme?
No.
Matthew, that's an amazing and well thought out column (and a great website!). Very interesting and very impressive.

#58084 02/28/06 01:54 PM
S
Active
Active
S
This is too obvious to be worth pointing out, but I will anyway. Eando Towers is named after Eando Binder, a pseudonym used by Otto Binder and his brother Earl (E and O).

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#58085 02/28/06 01:55 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Well, it may be obvious, but I didn't catch it. Thanks!

#58086 02/28/06 01:57 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Matthew, that's an amazing and well thought out column (and a great website!). Very interesting and very impressive. [/QB]
Thanks very much.

#58087 02/28/06 02:58 PM
Substitute
Substitute
God I was hoping that with the OYL move this facet of the book would be toned way down. It seems just the oppisite. I am pretty sure issue 16 will be my last. I just can't get into a book where I hate most of the main characters, and the way better than half are being written now I really don't like them. Most are either cocky beyond repair or assholes. I always thought the point of the Legion was to try to be better than stuff like that and not just sterotypes of modern kids.

#58088 02/28/06 03:20 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Can't really argue with that. The sad fact is, I was rooting for Klar there. The Legionnaires in that scene are jerks.

I'm a parent, not a teenager. Well, maybe that's just fate's way of telling me to lay off the funnybooks. I skipped the last couple issues, and it will take something more promising than that to get me to go to the shop.

#58089 02/28/06 03:34 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I hope they were acting like little snots in order to motivate the "older people" to interact with each other in person, instead of through video screens.
Problem is, I'm not much liking these kids.
This book really needs to find a direction soon. We need some shorter, faster stories to let us know who these guys are and why they're doing what they're doing.
Lose the damn "trade" pacing and liven things up.
Issue 15 was a bit of a dissapointment. It was well written, but I'm tired of the constant character teasing.
So many great characters in Legion history, there must be some way to utilize them in the current book.
I won't be dropping the book, but so far, it's not feeling like The Legion of Super-Heroes yet.

#58090 02/28/06 04:30 PM
A
Active
Active
A
Originally posted by Harbinger:
Originally posted by Awkward Pause Boy:
[b] Ah the adults v. kids trauma.

I'm pleased to say that, IMHO, this preview is actually doing it right. Yes, it feels like we're beat over the head with it when the legionnaires simply keep repeating the refrain. But when the story actually shows that it isn't just adults the Legion is after but an uncolorful, impersonable status quo, then I'm all for it.
and seconded! What a great way to see it APB [/b]
Thanks, Harbinger. Hope everyone else doesn't find the mental block immovable.

#58091 02/28/06 04:42 PM
Deputy
Deputy
It's the hellraisers of the world that often make the biggest difference, and the Legionnaires may have turned Klar's life around by infuriating him out of his lethargy and isolation. I've grown to like these kids BECAUSE they're snotty, irreverent and confrontational, and because they have something else that's extremely rare in the DCU these days -- a genuine joie de vivre. I was pleasantly surprised to see that their deal with the U.P. didn't curb their style.

Having said that, the scene in question scene would have played much differently if the group had consisted of three founders and Projectra, for instance. Some of these kids are thoughtful and relatively mature, so let's not paint them all with the same brush.

#58092 02/28/06 04:59 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Interestingly, one of the things that's always bugged me about the 70s "disco era" team is that every member seems to be written with the same juvenile hothead personality. It seems to me we're getting a lot more interesting variety in this incarnation.

That said, I'm a lot more interested in what this team and this society look like ten years down the road than seeing them at this point in their careers.

#58093 02/28/06 05:52 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I think that is what bugs me most about the preview. Those pages look like they could have been happening a day or so after the events of issue 14. Not a whole year latter. You would think that after a year the Legion and their status would be widely know. Like I said I was hoping that alot of this older/younger stuff would be downplayed with year going by their time.

#58094 02/28/06 06:18 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'd really like to see this Legion 5YL - or better yet, 10YL. Maybe they'd be like our sixties people, who became stock brokers and stuff. laugh

Anyways, they're an interesting bunch, but just for fun, I think I'll start cheering for the adults.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#58095 02/28/06 06:29 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Zeroman:
I think that is what bugs me most about the preview. Those pages look like they could have been happening a day or so after the events of issue 14. Not a whole year latter.
It is my understanding that the Legion will not jump a year despite what the solicitions might suggest. The new HQ is still under construction in issue #16 (Garth said they could rebuild "overnight" with the endowment) and Brainy is still missing with Lemnos and the body of Dream Girl as of issue #18.

#58096 02/28/06 06:33 PM
Active
Active
well, the preview has me eagerly awaiting the next issue. I suppose, part of my enjoyment is that I am not comparing it to previous incarnations. on the othe hand, compared to books I am currently reading or have stopped reading LSH is one of better ones.

still, given the nature of comics, I am sure in about 10 years time, I will be berating the fact that "my" Legion has been changed. smile history doesn't repeat, but it does rhyme from time to time.

#58097 02/28/06 06:44 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
The Legion's OYL will be semantic only, the first page of issue 14 gave the date as New Year's Eve.

So they can say 1001 years later, be technically correct and still have only days pass in the lives of the legionnaires.

#58098 02/28/06 09:16 PM
C
Active
Active
C
Geez,

Are Legion fans actually supporters of a repressive and banal dictatorship? A police state?

Seriously, would you really not support the Legion here in a world like this?

Author of "Machine Goddess" and "The Undying Machine"
Machine Goddess: http://tinyurl.com/gkp5z
Undying Machine: http://tinyurl.com/jvw9p
#58099 02/28/06 10:07 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Hey- maybe they *are* the 'mean' Legion from that old Superboy/Adventure story...

Seriously, I wish they'd relocate to another planet, because the Earth they're on now is so boooorrrrinnggg.

I don't really buy the whole isolation thing, either... there'd have to be good *reasons* behind such a radical shift in human behavior. We haven't seen them.

The strength of this series is in the character-work, some of the ideas for those characters and the art.

The setting doesn't capture my interest, as yet.

This preview displays the things about this title I like the least-- but who knows what happens on the page after? That's what keeps us coming back, I guess.

For some reason, I can't get the second page of the preview to load clearly- maybe there's something more fun there than seeing Shadow Lass steal from 'geriatrics' (Sometimes I think DC wants to get rid of all the readers over a ... certain age).

I certainly hope there's more to this issue than scenes in this vein.

#58100 03/01/06 09:25 AM
Deputy
Deputy
It's all a matter of taste, but I found the incident in the preview delightful, with the possible exception of Shadie taking Klar's goggles. That's corrupt cop shakedown behavior, if you ask me. Altogether, this preview scene pleasingly reminded me of early Spider-Man tales. The hero helps someone out and learn that no good deed goes unpunished.

What's interesting about the conflict in Legion is that it is not REALLY about old vs. young. It's about inhibition vs. liberation. It MANIFESTS as old vs. young because it's basically only kids (and Sun Boys 'rents) behaving liberated. Of course, "Eat it, Grandpa" reinforces this dynamic.

It seems to me that the Legionnaires are fine with adults (Sun Boy's 'rents, Delegate Ardeen) who aren't condescending, patronizing and dismissive towards them. Only when provoked by the likes of Klar do they assume the mantel of petulant adolescent.

I see the Legionnaires as basically the early Beatles. On the one hand, they ARE a shock to the system, something totally new for their society. On the other hand, they aren't trying to destroy everything. They are trying to live THEIR lives uninhibited by unnecessary convention and inspire others to do the same. This bumps up against the inflexibility of VERY rigid and repressed mainstream society, and the resulting friction looks like old vs. young. In the end, though, the Legionnaires want evolution, not revolution.

So, the LSH's natural enemies are 1) zealots in defense of the current society, and 2) others (like Lemnos) who want a more violent revolution in the current society. It seems like Waid and Kitson are missing a great opportunity by not introducting a Legion of Super-Anarchists as a long-term counterpoint to our heroes. Imagine Lightning Lord, Saturn Queen, Nemesis Kid, et. al. as sort of the "Weather Underground" of the 31st century. Come on, Mark and Barry. This would be a great way for the Legion and conventional 31st century society to become more clear on what the Legion does and does NOT stand for.

As for the reactionary zealots, imagine, oh, say, Universo (or someone completely new) as a charismatic leader of a fundamentalist movement trying to impose even harser mind control on under-agers?

The dynamics you end up with are not dissimilar to the whole Professor X/Magneto/Stryker conflicts in X-Men. However, the conflict can be much more grounded and realistic, since these are basically the SAME conflicts we deal with today in our society. Should kids have access to contraception? Does sex ed encourage or prevent unsafe sex in adolescents? Should gays be allowed to marry? When, if ever, is abortion legal and/or ethical? Do kids have 1st amendment protection for school newspapers or 4th amendment protection from locker searches? Should kids be fingerprinted/retinal scanned/microchipped? How late should kids be allowed to stay out on a weekend?

I agree with other posters, however, that this could be done better if it does done in a less heavy-handed way. I do look forward to what Mark and Barry have in store, though.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#58101 03/01/06 11:23 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Oh dear I didn't like it at all! Speaking as someone who hates huge packs of teenagers hanging around (because it is damn scary and the teenagers where I live are generally unpleasant and thuggish.) my sympathies are most definitely with Klar.

And Shadow Lass stealing his glasses? Not cool. I'm far from a total silver age purist, but a Legionnaire *stealing* from a citizen? Tasmia would have found herself expelled from the Legion for such behaviour in any previous incarnation and quite right too.

These Legionnaires are rude disrepectful assholes. (I will say the American asshole rather than the English 'arsehole' because arsehole just doesn't have the lovely dismissive venom that 'asshole' has! smile )

I'm seriously debating continuing with this book. And when hardcore Legion fans like me are considering dropping the book you know they are in trouble.

I would say we are well on course for reboot number 4. Someone should start a betting pool on when. Honestly when fans as diehard as me are turned off it's pretty much inevitable.

Mark Waid really should realise that most Legion fans are the big bad grownups. Petulant brats don't play well with us.

*pfffff*

Fire in the disco! Fire in the Taco Bell! Fire in the disco! Fire in the gates of hell!!
#58102 03/01/06 11:40 AM
Active
Active
Did anyone notice Chameleon at the top of the 2nd page? Wonder who/what he was scanning.

#58103 03/01/06 01:55 PM
Active
Active
I'm pleased to say that, IMHO, this preview is actually doing it right. Yes, it feels like we're beat over the head with it when the legionnaires simply keep repeating the refrain. But when the story actually shows that it isn't just adults the Legion is after but an uncolorful, impersonable status quo, then I'm all for it.
Agreed. I actually really liked that. Legionnaires set themselves up to be infuriating on purpose--and by successfully standing up to them, the normals become them. Klar does win, and he wins thanks to the Legion. Very clever.

Mind you, I wouldn't want that to be official procedure, and I'm hoping they'll get at least mildly chewed out for it. And yeah, the glasses-grabbing was a step too far. But c'mon, that was Shady and Ultra Boy...they're supposed to misbehave! I'd much rather the bad boy/girl Legionnaires act out for a reason, than just throw the usual soap-operatic supertantrums. ("You tried to hit on my girlfriend! Let's fight with energy blasts in the middle of a crowded street!")

#58104 03/01/06 02:46 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Personally I'd like to think that Shady gave the goggles back when the 'angry mob' came out. She was giving Klar an object lesson in the power of organizing to fight for one's rights. Utilizing that patronizing teaching technique some adults do with kids.

#58105 03/01/06 03:10 PM
Deputy
Deputy
For anyone who missed them, there are 3 additional uncolored, unlettered pages from the same issue here .

Seeing that the bad guy is disguised as an SP, I have a feeling this is all leading up to the "Legionnaire as SP mole" plotline. It's one of these four, I think.

#58106 03/03/06 07:28 AM
Active
Active
So is #16 set one year after #15? If so, I'm surprised that there are still some who don't realize the Legion is a part of Earthgov by now.

Not to sound overly negative or anything, but it seems like so many writers at DC are handling the reasoning of this OYL thing very sloppily. Its not a bad idea, but I'm going to get quite annoyed if there keep on being so many obvious lapses of logic like this.

Also, does issue 16 come out on the 8th or the 22nd? DC's website still says the 8th...

"are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over- an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist."

-Tobias Funke
#58107 03/03/06 08:04 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by KidChaos:
Also, does issue 16 come out on the 8th or the 22nd? DC's website still says the 8th...
Hmm. The original solicitations listed the 22nd and as of the day that Tamper started this thread (2/27) DC's site had that same date. I know because I verified it to make an update at the Clubhouse. Diamond doesn't have it on next week's list but that can change Monday. Maybe it was ready early?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,308
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
KidMarvel (Bunny)
KidMarvel (Bunny)
Newcastle Australia
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star