Roll Call
2 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Lard Lad, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 11 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/23/24 12:37 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/23/24 12:37 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/23/24 12:36 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/23/24 12:34 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/22/24 02:40 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 16 April 24
by razsolo - 04/21/24 04:25 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Legion #1 from a retailer's perspective
#86161 10/15/04 04:57 PM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
The following is by Brian Hibbs of Comix Experience in San Francisco, as originally seen at http://www.newsarama.com/pages/Tilting/Tilting10.htm

"Legion of Super-Heroes #1 is also a real tricky order. There’s an awful lot of people who like the Legion, but there’s not that many people who buy it, y’know? Waid and Kitson have what sounds like an interesting take, but it also sounds so far afield from what people (think they) want from a Legion comic too. My biggest problem is that I think the Legion might be like Star Trek right now. I think they probably should have given it a year or two “off the market” to build up a little demand, to get people to be genuinely happy to see it again. To me it’s “Oh, a Legion #1 again? Have we passed the dozen mark yet?” So I scratch my head and stare out the window and write down “40” as if I know what I’m doing. If subs are higher than 16 I’ll bump that further, but I’m largely the cynic on this one. And I like the Legion!"

I agree with him when he says, "it also sounds so far afield from what people (think they) want from a Legion comic." Not to rag on the current reboot, but it seems to me that mainstream readers (not to be confused with Legion diehards) have a mental image of what they think the Legion is, and DC hasn't published anything resembling that since... well, since Levitz left the title, which is why the Legion has been a poor seller ever since then.

(40 copies ordered for the first issue) x (however many retailers also overorder number one) = (disappointed Legion fans when those numbers come back to earth a few months later). I'd be surprised if Mr. Hibbs orders 25 copies a month when number three is available. I only bring all of this up to remind people that retailers see things much differently than we do, and they've got access to harder data (number of copies actually sold) than we do.

My powers are Legion!
Re: The Legion #1 from a retailer's perspective
#86162 10/16/04 02:51 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Another curious comment by Hibbs is that they should have given Legion a year or two off the market to build up demand.

Certainly as a fan, I shudder at this - but I'm also thinking of the number of other books (and competing media instruments) out there - I'd be inclined to think that a 1-2 year hiatus could kill the thing. The only people to return to the book might be the truest fanatics.

I've heard baseball never recovered from their strike of a few years ago, and they're talking about the current NHL lock-out as being the death of hockey. I just wonder if you can take an entertainment product out of the market for an extended period of time today, then recapture your customers.

One might cite "Adam Strange" as a book that's returned with what appears to be success, but I don't believe that there was any demand out there for Adam Strange yearning to be satisfied. They just revived an old property and managed to hit the right chord with comic fans - just as Doom Patrol has been revived to (what seems to be) more negative response. Win some, lose some.

It would be interesting to hear what other retailers are saying.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Re: The Legion #1 from a retailer's perspective
#86163 10/16/04 07:28 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
They think they know, but they have no idea.

(Yeah, I know, it's a dumb joke, but it's also fairly close to the truth. With a few exceptions, order numbers are total guesswork.)

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,900
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
avengers, wonderpoop
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Ger
Ger
Dallas, TX
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star