Roll Call
1 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 14 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 01:49 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/18/24 05:00 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/18/24 02:18 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:17 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Going Forward: Best Love Interest for Timberwolf
#86632 11/05/09 12:27 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Thus far it appears that Ayla & Brin are still together in this current ambiguous continuity that Johns is currently using and Levitz will take over. With Levitz coming on, I suspect at least the Ayla/Vi friendship at the close of his run will be kept intact, but who knows beyond that, since they never really had a relationship until TMK.

Anyway, I for one don't particularly have any great love for an Ayla & Brin pairing. I'd love for Ayla to be with Vi, so that frees up Brin. Brin has also dated Marella Tao in the preboot; then had a "something" with Tinya in the reboot; then a "something more" with Jeckie in the threeboot. There was also rambant speculation on this message board in the old days of a possible Brin / Dawny romance one day. So if Brin isn't with Ayla, then who should be with going forward?

Oh, and "be with" = romantic love interest, not necessarily girlfriend since all subplots in this era will require angst.

I, for one, really liked the Marella Tao pairing. I like the idea of non-Legionnaires acting as love interests because so many team members are already hooking up with one another. It also had a bit of "Clark/Lois" homage to it that fit within Legion lore. Plus, I generally liked Marella and hated when she was absent-mindedly killed off in TMK like so many others.

I definitely dislike any pairing with Tinya, Dawny or Jeckie.

I'm not opposed to seeing Brin with another Legionnaire though. In my 250+ issue outline of what I'd do with the reboot Legion should it have continued under my great writing skills (which will never see the light of day), I had Brin with Mysa, which I think could work great.

Re: Going Forward: Best Love Interest for Timberwolf
#86633 11/05/09 12:30 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
(snip)

Cobalt Kid:
I, for one, really liked the Marella Tao pairing. I like the idea of non-Legionnaires acting as love interests because so many team members are already hooking up with one another. It also had a bit of "Clark/Lois" homage to it that fit within Legion lore. Plus, I generally liked Marella and hated when she was absent-mindedly killed off in TMK like so many others.
In general, yes, less inbreeding is always good.

I don't mind homages, but if it turns out that Tao is Lois' distant ancestor, I'm going over there with a baseball bat. (See my complaints about the overemphasis on legacy heroes in various comic-'verses.)

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#86634 11/05/09 12:31 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Yeah, if Marella turned out to be a descendent of Lois that would kill her character. Totally agree about all that nonsense.

#86635 11/05/09 01:14 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Tinya wont work. She has that whole "high school romance" style thing with UB. Goody goody with the high school bad boy that run off together and are married for fifty years. (It does happen, my folks are at 44 years and counting.)

The reporter gal...ehh.

Dawny? No. Thats the whole tragic love story thing there.

Mysa? that would break rocky's heart and I don't think Brin is that callous a guy as to go after his best friends gal.

Jeckie...yes. This could work. With KK dead, I can see them finding solace together.

I never bought the Ayla/Vi thing. Vi suddenly changes sides because some people, including a female, capture her? Ayla, after a long term committed relationship decides one day that she plays for the other team? Never really held up for me.

I say do something different. Have the sweet, caring, loving Vi that we originally had fall for Brin. Beauty and the Beast.

If not, then yeah, the Jeckie option is great.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#86636 11/05/09 02:11 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Count me as a huge fan of the Brin/Mysa pairing from LOTR era!

#86637 11/05/09 02:12 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
I think it would be fun for Brin to go out on a number of dates with different Legionnaires and other characters before settling on an individual as a steady. Something else elses interesting and unexpected could surface.

PS - One of my favorite Legion stories was when Chuck and Violet went on a date together.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#86638 11/05/09 02:14 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Count me as a huge fan of the Brin/Mysa pairing from LOTR era!
Er... though if Levitz writes a story in which their child is kidnapped, transported back through time, and transformed into the Witch-Wolf, I might not think this is such a good idea!

#86639 11/05/09 03:24 PM
(snip)

Originally posted by rickshaw1:

I never bought the Ayla/Vi thing. Vi suddenly changes sides because some people, including a female, capture her? Ayla, after a long term committed relationship decides one day that she plays for the other team? Never really held up for me.
Happens all the time IRL. Granted, such transformations aren't always that abrupt, but this is pop entertainment we're talking about here. Everything's accelerated: court cases, trips to the doctor... everything. If it unfolded in real-time, nobody would stick around for the resolution.

I could live without beauty-and-the-beast, because in a sense, it's what already happened when Brin was with Ayla in the first place.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#86640 11/05/09 03:52 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
No idea about Marella Tao, but count me as another vote for a non-Legionnaire love interest.

Maybe he can hang out with Tiger Girl, from the tryouts in 38 that led to Polar Boy, Sensor Girl, Tellus, Quislet and Magnetic Kid joining? A non-Legionnaire with some super-powers could be a fun date. But it turns out to be a red herring, as they are just friends and sparring buddies!

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#86641 11/05/09 06:22 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Most of the Lesbians I've known were all over the place, relationship wise.
(Not the ones who thought they were guys, usually, but all of the others ~ Ellen, Ann and Portia come to mind.)

I could see Vi and Ayla breaking up and one of them going back to a male centered relationship and the other moving on to another woman.

As for Brin, I think that people often feel most comfortable staying within their peer group.

I like the Tiger Girl idea, even though cats and dogs don't usually work things out that way.

If Rokk and Lydda have broken up, I'd vote for two creatures of the night working together, finding they ignite something in each other and staying together.
Especially if Levitz goes with the stronger wolf based powers and personality for Brin.

Lydda might find that she likes someone less duty bound, more playful and 'physical', than the rather cool tempered Rokk.

And what might she become like with that influence?

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#86642 11/05/09 06:26 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I actually don't think dating outside the team makes much sense for TW, given the developments in his personality during the Levitz era. Part of the whole point of the breakup with Ayla was to emphasize the fact that the "Lone Wolf" had become really become an integral part of the pack, of the Legion family (while, by contrast, girl-next-door with literal family connections to the team was striking out on her own). It would seem to make more sense for Brin to stay within the Legion for romance.

#86643 11/05/09 06:56 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Isn't this Legion World? wink

How about Brin and Rokk? Brin's physicality and Rokk's coolness would be an interesting contrast.

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#86644 11/05/09 07:23 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Yes, but, I've been told here, that men are 'less fluid' in their sexuality than women and that gayness is genetic.?

In continuity, do ya'll think that gays would still hide who they are in the year 3009 and then, change those choices in their middle 20's?

I hope it isn't that way.

Jan was always presented, I think, as not very fixed in his orientation.
And we didn't know Condo or Invisible Kid well enough to, well, know.
Those characters make good choices for a gay relationship.
They 'fit'.

But, Brin and Rokk have been pretty staunchly straight for well, 50 years.

Am I not understanding?

The question was about the 'real' Legion rather than a fan fiction?

Yes? No?
(Just want to 'get it', I guess, rather then anything else.

Let the games thrive, friend and foe alike.

But, . . . the time is shorter than we think.
#86645 11/05/09 08:33 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
I think Brin & Dawny would be FABOO!!
She's cool & aloof & stuck in a non-physical relationship for years.
He's feral,impulsive,hairy & sweaty.
Just imagine the fireworks!!!

#86646 11/05/09 09:15 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Originally posted by Mysa Nal 3:

The question was about the 'real' Legion rather than a fan fiction?

Yes? No?
(Just want to 'get it', I guess, rather then anything else.
Nothing that concrete. More just what I'd like to see happen, not that it ever will.

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#86647 11/05/09 10:02 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Candle:
I like the Tiger Girl idea, even though cats and dogs don't usually work things out that way.
While the speculation was that 'Tiger Girl' would have feline like powers, very much like Timber Wolf (strength, agility, animalistic senses), I would go sideways and make her have powers that have nothing to do with the tiger-stripe motif. Maybe she has the power to put people to sleep, and torment them with waking nightmares, and her name is Satori or something...

Then again, I was just thinking that it would be cool if Brin had a female *friend* that he could hang out with and spar with, and let people assume that they were dating, when actually their only 'private time' would be in the gym, and they would have completely other romantic interests. Mostly I just amused myself with the idea of the red-skinned girl being a red herring. smile

If Rokk and Lydda have broken up, I'd vote for two creatures of the night working together, finding they ignite something in each other and staying together.
Ooh, I like that, because it would help to bring Night Girl a little more 'out of the shadows' (which her constant teaming up with Shadow Lass, IMO, is only reinforcing).

Then again, I'm often just as critical of female characters only getting developed by being made into someone's girlfriend...

Maybe Lydda should be a little more solidly characterized before being paired off again and possibly being relegated to some dude's +1.

#86648 11/05/09 10:12 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
Nothing that concrete. More just what I'd like to see happen, not that it ever will.
Although, there's a certain symmetry to Brin and Ayla breaking up and both going to play for the other team for a bit.

"Yeah, after you, I gave up on men!"

"Good! More for me! And right back at ya babe!"

But, even with the assumption that the 30th century would be more sexually fluid than the 20th (which is already getting pretty flexible!), I'm not sure I'd find Brin convincing in that scenario. Dirk? Yeah, I think he'd nail anything with a pulse and not look back. He's been portrayed as the biggest 'player' of the Legion, although not quite to 'James Kirk' status. (Threeboot was a different matter, and Jo seems the most likely to cross the streams in that version.)

#86649 11/06/09 01:15 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
Ahhh.
Thanks.

Let the games thrive, friend and foe alike.

But, . . . the time is shorter than we think.
#86650 11/06/09 01:46 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Set:
But, even with the assumption that the 30th century would be more sexually fluid than the 20th (which is already getting pretty flexible!), I'm not sure I'd find Brin convincing in that scenario.
I know that some fans don't see Brin as feral except in name, but that was really only in the Silver Age, I think.
By Cockrum and Grell he was much more 'wolfish' and that was carried out later with TMK and his further morphing.

Wolves choose a mate for life, so I can't see Brin, once he's actually chosen, doing anything else.

I'd love to see him actually gather his 'pack' and maybe find his mate a little later on.
So I still see Lydda as a possibility and the Tiger, as well, as friends, anyway.
Rokk wouldn't fit, not only because he'd be Lydda's X but because he's too much of an alpha.

I'd love for Brainy to change enough to want companions and to recognize that there are many attributes besides intelligence that are important and desirable.
(And I like the Calvin and Hobbes idea, still.)

Perhaps, Cham as well.

3boot's Jeckie/Brin pairing left a bad taste in my mouth, I'm afraid, so no, I don't want them together.

Perhaps a 'bad girl' could be brought around or someone we just haven't seen yet.

A Gazelle for the retroboot, only with powers a little less restricted or maybe, Nightwind.

Yes, I like Nightwind TimberWolf1 ~ she'd be beautiful for him, very different, but still a creature of the night.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#86651 11/06/09 08:54 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Candle:
Nightwind TimberWolf1 ~ she'd be beautiful for him, very different, but still a creature of the night.
Ooh, good one. Very outside of the box.

I'd take just about any excuse to see Nightwind, Lamprey, Laurel Kent and / or Crystal Kid hanging around. (I wasn't quite as impressed with Jed Rikane/Power Boy, although he seemed like a nice enough guy, or Comet Queen...)

#86652 11/06/09 09:39 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I like the Nightwind suggestion... can't you imagine a double date with White, make that Black, Witch and Blok and Brin and NW?

Less of a who than a what, I'd like to see Brin encounter and be attracted to a bonafide android. That's an aspect to his past I'd like to see explored for a bit. Though not enough to take over his 'story' completely.

#86653 11/06/09 10:11 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
I also really like the Nightwind suggestion. I think thats the best one so far.

Some other random thoughts
(1) I never really considered Blok and Mysa to be all that romantic. If you reread those issues, it feels more like a close friendship than romance.

(2) We've spoken about this at length a few years ago, but I don't think it was all that out of the blue for Ayla or Vi. Particularly Ayla, who I see as definitively bisexual, which mirrors the free-spirit / Winathian aspect of her that became more prominent in the late Levtiz era and TMK. I don't think she said "I'm through with guys!". I think she was just with Brin for a long time because she loved him and when she was single she found another soul to fall for--there was no concious decision 'to go gay'. She very likely was bisexual all along; she'd been dating Brin for like her entire teens and early 20's! Hopefully by the 31st Century there is no 'coming out'; she just choose someone else who happened to be a girl. As for Vi, she could be more complicated given her recent history.

(3) I don't like the 'wolfish-ness' aspect played up for Brin--I think how he was in the 70's under Cockrum/Grell is just about right. I much prefer the "Lone Wolf" aspect as more of a metaphor for his personality that comes from other issues, such as his origin and past addiction, not because he's part wolf or something.

#86654 11/06/09 10:16 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Agreed about Blok and Mysa. Even Levitz said that he didn't see them as a romantic couple.

#86655 11/06/09 10:20 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Ipso facto, Blok would be delighted to see his two greatest friends find love and happiness with each other so they could possibly even find the peace both so desperately want above all else.

It could be a great Legion romance! And Blok could continue his transition to the role of Mr. Eko / Shaman type that Eryk and I created for him years ago!

#86656 11/06/09 10:21 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I agree with points 1 & 2, Cobie and parts of 3.

I liked Brin best in the reboot when he was with Tinya so that's the model I'd like to see.
I doubt that the retroboot Brin would consciously gather a 'pack'.
I DO think it could happen naturally now that Ayla is with Vi, or is she?
confused

I don't think that we'll see him with actual 'wolf' DNA but something like it might have been part of his treatment which has caused some of his problems, physically as well as the benefits.

Subtle concepts and uses.
Comics are usually not known for that, I know.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,844
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
M'onel
M'onel
Alberta, Canada
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star