Roll Call
0 members (), 11 Murran Spies, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/19/24 06:19 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Reboot - 04/19/24 04:18 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 01:49 AM
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 01:49 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Re: "Omnia mutantur nos et mutamur in illis" - 52 days after INVASION
#109178 10/09/06 09:29 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
The Dark Oval, Helios Nocturnos

During the daytime hours, the sun beat down furiously, hot upon the heads of the public. So much so, that they were forced to hide from the sun. In the nighttime, it was cool and breezy, a wonder to behold. During the daytime, the Black Sun spent the entire 12 hours in prayer. They had to, as it was divine doctrine to do so. During the night, they carried on with their lives and it was then that things moved as they normally did. They were refreshed in the night, having been so connected to their deity, Sol Invictus, during the day. Every person on Helios Nocturnos was a member of the Black Sun. It was the capital planet of the religion, and where it had begun to spread. Since then, it was an active religion throughout the Dark Oval, and many Hrykosians and other vassal-states were devout followers. But the Black Sun itself had its clerical arm, which was its most important administrative and governing force, and here was where it stayed. At the top the top was the High Priest, Caracalla. Despite his age he looked youthful, although covered completely in black, and his face often hidden. The high-ranking clerics were after him in the pecking order, and below them were the priests in general. To live on Helios Nocturnos, you must be a priest—common believers in the faith that were not clerics lived elsewhere. The city itself was a wonder to behold, but it was often dusty and in somewhat disarray. The clerical buildings, particularly the most religious, however, were exquisite.

On Helios Nocturnos, you’re identity did not matter. You were a devout follower of the Black Sun and you believed in Sol Invictus, and gladly awaited his return to this world, so he would destroy all the suns and all the non-believers, and relight the skies, bringing peace and comfort. You practiced rituals to show your obedience and love, including the spilling of your own blood, to bring the fiery pain that emphasized the divinity of that sensation.

The emergence of Caracalla was undocumented and thus had the feel of a mystery. But it was well known that the Black Sun religion had been in existence for a brief time, following the devotion to Sol Invictus, when one of the clerical oligarchs, Caracalla, emerged as the High Priest and true, singular power-controlling presence among the Black Sun clerics. From there, his power in the order grew exponentially and he eventually became a religious icon himself, though he was smart enough to always underplay this and reinforce his role was out of duty, something he did not because of desire, but because he was compelled. He, alone, was at the top of the pyramid that reached up into the heavens, and he alone heard the voice of Sol Invictus the loudest.

“They’re all praying…” whispered Jailbait Lass to Cobalt Kid, both now heavily cloaked, as to hide their features.

“I know. That seems to be all they’re doing. I wonder if that’s just today, or everyday?” replied Cobalt.

Caracalla and the other high-ranking priests were protected by the Black Sun Honor Guard, a militant order of armed clerics that were stoutly devoted to Sol Invictus and the religion of the Black Sun. They were faithful to Caracalla and took great monastic virtues. They were so extreme that their vows of chastity, poverty and obedience were highlighted by the self-inflicted lives: they were all willing eunuchs, all had no possessions and lived in the villa of Caracalla, and all followed the every whim of the high-ranking clerics.

“Anything S.H.A.G.?” said Cobalt to his hip-hop robot sidekick, who was floating around his head. They now stood on a rooftop, attempting to discern if anything out of the ordinary was occurring here—which was impossible, since they’d never been there before. But all they saw was the entire capital city kneeling in prayer, praying all day for 12 hours until the sun went down, where they would then go to work and *then* act out their normal lives. But as long as the sun was up, they would be in prayer. The buildings were simply, if a bit in decay, although the clerical buildings, churches and monasteries were on the opulent side.

“Na, G, no luck,” said S.H.A.G. in reply. “All seems to be routine. Except the big poppa ain’t around dis week.”

“Caracalla? That is odd. Where is he?” S.H.A.G. did not know the answer.

Three years ago, Caracalla carried out a subversive attack into United Planets space, using Black Sun religious extremists to distract the UP, so he could accomplish a smaller goal. While the UP, and by proxy, the LMB, had their attention elsewhere, Caracalla’s spies were able to find and ensnare the young boy Elagabolus, and bring him to the Black Sun. Although this revealed to the LMB the existence of the Black Sun, of which they had only ever heard rumors, it was far worth it. For Caracalla was aware of Elagabolus and the true nature of the boy, though no one knew how. And he knew what the boy could mean. And so he brought the boy to Helios Nocturnos and indoctrinated him into the order of Sol Invictus. As years past, the boy’s role grew in importance, as he became the apprentice of Caracalla. The boy was a young Priest who was in touch with the divinity of Sol Invictus in a way no other was—how else could one explain his immense power? So as the years past, rumors circulated that he was a young deity reborn, and that Caracalla would one day reveal him to all publicly. The devotion to the boy, though unspoken, grew among the religion.

“At last,” said Cobalt. “Caracalla’s villa.”

“And nothing,” said Jailbait Lass. They had been through it a few times, doing their best not to be seen. It wasn’t hard—there was no one there. “They’re gone Cobie. The High Priest. The Honor Guard. The boy.”

“Elag…” Cobie couldn’t help but whisper.

“They gone playa,” said S.H.A.G. “I don’t detect none of them. Wherever they be, it ain’t here…”

“Where then, Cobie?” said Jailbait Lass, but the answer already formed in her mind.

“The Barbarian Hordes,” he replied, knowing now they were too late.

#109179 10/09/06 09:50 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Cafe Cramer

Caliente and Nova Girl waited at the bar waiting for the green tea sitting in the proty shaped teapot to steep for the proper amount of time. Behind the bar Sarah the barista steamed milk and mixed in a shot of vanilla syrup.

"So he just up and left you running the Club?"

"No idea where he is and when he'll come back."

"He's done this before. He could be gone a while."

"I think the Winema innuendos drove him up the wall."

Caliente looked exasperated from two days of running the Evil Genius Club without support. Though the computer system helped the system could not handle the customer aspect of the business.

Behind the bar an egg timer announced that the tea had steeped. Sara leapt accross her workspace gliding gracefully picking up the teapot and pouring the green liquid into two travel cups smartly stenciled with the Cafe Cramer logo.

With a thump the door to the cafe opened and Everyday Girl stepped hurredly to the bar. Sara quickly poured the hot vanilla steamed milk into Everyday Girl's travel mug.

"Ohmygod, no time to talk Sarah. There's like an emergency. Something else else just made the Legion World Fashion district disappear and reappear floating over the Comic factory. Then it got smashed."

Nova Girl and Caliente stared at each other outraged at the implications. The loss of the LW fashion district meant something too horrible to contemplate. It meant that there would be no place to go shopping.

COBALT ROW

Frio climbed over a pile of ruined shoes as the Invisible Brainiacs secured a crime scene perimeter around the site for the second time in just the past few days. Fortunately all the store employees were unhurt though stunned to see their businesses disappear around them.

Frio grimaced as she turned over a particularly sexy pair of boots crushed and ruined by the debris. Now she knew how Everyday Girl had felt when the comic factory was destroyed. Without the fashion district where would Frio pick up the sexy gear that she'd use to snare a man for the weekend.

On the perimeter the Invisible Brainiacs finished putting up the cordon and proceeded to go into a scanning pattern. Abin Quank inspected the mobile command center set up to control the scene.

He was confronted by a distraught Harbinger who tossed a horribly scuffed patent leather pump into his chest.

"Abin this is an attack on our very way of life."

"Calm down Harbi, we'll get to the bottom of this."

Abin was concerned about the pattern of attacks on LW businesses. However he did not believe the situation as serious the nearly hysterical Harbinger was taking it.

Suddenly every keg and cask of beer and whisky on Legion World appeared over the crime scene and began raining down on the Security Officers. Frio and Invisible Brainiace protected who they could with their powers as kegs smashed open on impact flooding the area with booze.

Abin looked at the devastation and suddenly found himself agreeing with Harbinger. An attack on their way of life indeed.

#109180 10/09/06 08:36 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Old Town. Hummer Lass's Apartment.

Hummer Lass lies on her bed, sobbing and applying a cold compress to her badly bruised and swollen face.

"why.." she moans. "Why would my love do this to me. I've-I've got to do better in the future...make sure I do what I'm supposed to. I killed that horrible imposter! I hope my love will come back and hold me..."

Then she's shocked by a loud thump against her door.

"My love--?" she whispers in a voice simeultaneously exultant and fearful.

But the door is smashed open and several armed men come in.

"Prudence Goodwyfe...Hummer Lass?" one of them shouts. "You are under arrest by authority of the Legion World Security Office!"

Her eyes dart around for her sais and she leaps out of her bed. But she is felled by a stun blast from one of the officers who'd had his gun trained on her.

Lil' Matlock is strapped to the speaking officer's back. "Put her in the transport, boys, and take her to a holding cell at the Security Office," Matty orders.

His eyes take in the scene. "Confiscate the clothes in that wastebasket...and those knives. I think you'll find they are called sais. Go over every inch of this place, and bring your findings to me! I'm leaving immediately to question the prisoner. Ralph?"

And the officer Lil' Matlock is piggybacking dutifully heads toward his boss's cruiser.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#109181 10/09/06 11:02 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Quislet's Table

After spending several hours going through the LMB's records and files trying to find something that would jog Rockhopper Lass's memory, she and Rockhopper Lad decide they need a break. With Hyvvie the Wonder Beagle and Old Dutch the Super Cow, they go to Quislet's table for a late lunch.

Sitting down to two sushi boxes, steak tartare and a bushel of grass, the four silently pondered what to do next.

"Eudyptes," Rockhopper Lass sighed after many minutes, "I'm sorry to be so much bother."

"Adelie, don't worry about it for a second."

"I just wish..." Perhaps it was the wasabi, perhaps it just came to her, but Rockhopper Lass's jaw dropped and she held her head.

"Adelie, what's wrong?"

"I--I remember something."

"How wonderful!" Rockhopper Lad smiled.

"What do you remember?" asked Hyvvie, his tail wagging.

"I remember something that happened while I was away. Or rather someone. I think it's a name. Eudyptes, do you know anyone called Blaine Fey?"

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#109182 10/10/06 08:52 AM
Leader
Leader
INTERLUDE : EARTH

Joeboy ran through the streets of Old Newcastle, Newspaper over his head to shield him from the torrents of rain that were falling. The Rain turned to hail and He ducked underneath an awning, cursing to himself as he checked his watch.

"Sprock it! if Im late again Ill never hear the end of it."
The hailstorm died down and he ventured back into the street. within a few minutes he came upon a cafe, the Sundollar. Throwing the wet and fastly deteriorating newspaper into the nearest bin he entered Sundollar and was greeted by an irate looking young man, Nathan.
"You're late" Said Nathan "Again" Getting up from his seat.
"I know I know...I got caught up in that hailstorm."
Joeboy smiled, pulling a konobar out of the small bag that he was carrying.
"But I brought you candy!"
Nathan chuckled and the two embraced before sitting down in the booth that Nathan had been waiting in. The booth had a window on one side, facing the street. breathing on the window Nathan traced a little heart in the condensation
"Bloody Hell its coming down out there."
"Tell me about it. Climate Control's been stuck on Tsunamie since Ooograh the slightly frightening tried to take over the world again last month."
"F***ker"
"Heh. Yeah...Giant Monsters are Gay"
"Hate Crime!"
Outside, Lightning struck and the storm increased in intensity.
"So what do you think?" Said Joeboy "Its been so long since you had the night off...I want to do something special."
"Meh...I dont know..Im not to fussed. Maybe Gaybar (tm)? I totally feel like spilling drinks on Drag Queens"
"Ooh thats SUCH a good Idea. We havent done that in so long."
"Yeah...Im thinking Ouzo with Coke. That sh*t never comes out. they'll be stinking of licorice for days."
Outside Lightning struck.
Nathan continued talking but Joeboy wasnt really paying attention, lost like always in Nathans beauty. He was still getting used to the idea of being in love. of the way his heart jumped at the mention of Nathans name. Of every kiss being just like the first. Joeboy was usually a loner when it came to matters of the heart but Nathan had changed all that. The past year had been the happiest he'd ever had.
"And so I said Bantha? I hardly even knew her!"
Joe chuckled, snapping into reality.
Outside Lightning struck again. Nathan continued the conversation in that special way of his that doesnt really need a second person. Joeboy was distracted, looking out the window at the storm outside. Lightning struck, this time right outside the window, leaving a small ring of fire on the tarred road.
Nathan jumped.
"Bloody Hell that Lightings getting close!"
"Bloody Hell you say Bloody a lot"
"Bloody Oath"
Lighting struck.
Joeboy began to stand "You know I dont think thats lightning"
"What do you mean it's not lightning?"
"Trust me...I know a bit about Lightning"
With that Lightning struck again and the Ground began to rumble beneath their feet. Outside the people on the streets were being forced to move back as the ground began to splinter and crack,
"Sprock it!"
The ground heaved. People were scattered everywhere, Cars crashing into each other as buildings and trees began to be torn apart. Then, almost as abruptly as it had started, the commontion ceased and the rain stopped. People slowly got up, inspecting the damage
Suddenly, the street outside Sundollar heaved and sunk, leaving a huge pit.
"No...No no no no no" Yelled Joeboy "Im on a Date here Dammit"
Nathan looked at Joeboy, bewildered
"Whats going on? Was that an Earthquake? We havent had one of them since 2097"
"No...No it wasnt" Joeboy sighed.
Something else else huge was a emerging from the pit, A large Tripod like machine. For a minute it just stood there, the people around it bemused. Then letting off a hideous, Alien scream it began to fire...Blasts of energy that turned whatever they hit into dust...cars, people, buildings.
"Holy Hell!" Nathan gasped, moving towards the door to get a closer look
"No! just stay back. this is going to get ugly"
"Ugly like yo' Momma"
Joeboy grinned. "Same as always. Even in the face of certain death you've gotta crack a yo' Momma joke. Anyway..." He sighed, holdong Nathan by the shoulders "I wanted to wait for the right time to tell you this but it looks like Im not going to have a choice."
"Tell Me what?"
"Just...just stand back"
Joeboy stepped outside, eyes on the Tripod.
"CAPTAIN MARVEL!"
This time the Lightning struck him and Joeboy was gone. in his place, smoke coming off of his Bright Red and Yellow costume, Stood Kid Marvel.
Nathan stepped towards him, plaing a hand on his chest and tracing the shape of the yellow thunderbolt with his finger. He looked up into Kid Marvel's eyes.
"You...You're a...Superhero?"
"Ummm..Yeah. You could say that."
"Thats so..." Nathan grinned "Hot."
"Really? you arent weirded out or...wait a minute...getting off topic...Tripod...outside."
Looking back at Nathan "Ive gotta go"
"Go get em' Tiger. But next time we do it you're wearing the Costume."
"Deal"

Remember : It's not technically a suckerpunch if you yell ''DEFEND YOURSELF SPROCKER!'' two seconds before you let him have it.
#109183 10/10/06 10:06 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
The Barbarian Hordes, the Khanate of Carthac

They cheered loudly, overcome with emotion and faith. And soaking up that emotion, he walked through the streets and greeted them all, being not a hero, but a beacon of hope and unity. And so Caracalla entered the Khanate of Carthac for the first time. The “Barbarians”, a people who had known little besides war and their lusty lifestyle, had become immersed in the religion of the Black Sun over the last few years. They had begun to believe in something different and the impact of this belief had greatly effected their way of life. But now, with Caracalla among them for the first time, the true impact of the Black Sun could be felt by each and everyone of them.

Caracalla smiled at them and waved, moving ever closer to the capital, to conduct the business he had come there for. By his side was his apprentice, the young fourteen old Elagabolus, by now a very tall and thin young man. Elagabolus was bald, and covered with tattoos, and had an odd, exotic look about him that intrigued each and every citizen that gazed in his direction. But the true sight for them to behold was the High Priest Caracalla, who had received such an outpouring of love and affection from the populace, that one might think he was the new head of state.

The Barbarian Hordesthe border between the United Planets and the Barbarian Hordes

“So someone has snuck into the Barbarian Hordes,” said Scipio Taltarus, “and we better learn what—and fast.” The pilots edged ever closer to the borders between the United Planets and the Barbarian Hordes, with the rest of the fleet following close behind them. “We probably should not enter the Hordes,” he added, “but what other options are there. It’s a lot to consider…” he said quietly, evidently talking to himself.

By his side, his lover, Danger Damsel shared his trepidation on what to do next. “Somewhere beyond this meteor shower is Dominus,” she said, “so no matter whose in there, we can’t lose sight of that.”

Scipio nodded at her, and she put her hand on his forearm, showing him a soft sign of tenderness, subtle enough to Scipio’s men, who revered him as being void of any emotions other than a warrior’s wrath, could not see.

“Sir, you better come look at this,” said a pilot, prompting Scipio to walk over. “I think we’ve found our rogue fleet. Look at the immense size of it! That has to be Dominus…” Scipio viewed it now with him, and took it all in. It was a massive array of cruisers and dreadnaughts, far more firepower than the UP had believed any single army in the Barbarian Horde to have.

“Great Rao…” said Scipio, “they heading this way…their beyond the borders and they’re about to attack us!” He quickly tensed up, sensing the looming battle. “Quickly men, everyone to their stations. Alert the other ships. I want evasive action taken, and the cruisers to get into formation. We’re ten seconds away from a massive battle, and no one in the United Planets ever believed this would truly happen again!” The entire ship, and indeed the entire fleet, went into a frenzy. This small portion of the Triumvirate army of Cobalt Kid prepared to defend this small pass between the United Planets and the Barbarian Hordes, suddenly aware of the very real danger they were in. Images of battles past suddenly went through Scipio’s mind, and he recalled all of them: Taltar, the Stu-Bot war at Legion World, The Dark Oval, Ggrrgg, and even the days before, when he was a younger man, before his family was butchered.

Before anyone had truly processed what was happening, the battle was underway. Dominus entered the UP again and began his assault, leaving no quarter. Danger Damsel ran next Scipio, pulling out her sword and realizing she could be of little help. Although she was beyond reproach when it came to hand to hand combat, this was dog-fight in space, and battle on a much larger scale than one where her or Scipio could make a singular difference.

It continued on now, minutes passing by, growing longer and longer. No one said nothing other than orders being given, diagnostic checks being made and deities being cursed. Before she realized what was happening, she noticed that he was holding her hand. He was calm, but not cold.

Dominus’ forces moved farther in, showing the full force of their might. They began to encircle the small fleet, and overtake both flanks. The Barbarian forces were simply too large.

Scipio picked up his omni-com. “Soldiers! They outnumber us ten to one! They plan to overtake us and frighten us into defeat! I say, no thank you! We are soldiers of the Legion World Triumvirate, and we fear nothing! Be brave now my friends, and show them who they are fighting! I’m proud of all of you! And I will always be with you! Lets give them one last reminder of whats in store for them if they continue this folly!” It had all happened so quick, that Danger Damsel stood in shock at that small speech, seeing Scipio now squinting his eyes out the viewing screen, and taking it all in once more. He turned to her, and a smile went across his face. “Its over, Anne,” he said calmly, “I’m sorry that you’re here for this. I truly am.”

She knew it. But she suddenly was calm too. Hers was not an easy life, and it had never gotten easier. All that had ever made her truly happy was this gruff older man that she loved more than any other. So here, in the end, she’d prefer to be with him in his final moments. She grabbed him in a fury, both arms around his neck, and pulled him in furiously, for one final, passionate kiss. He returned in kind, with a fire that he had once thought he’d lost many years ago. As they pulled apart, and the cruisers in the sky above them continued to explode, he held her hand tightly and looked up into the sky. She held it and rested her body against his arm.

Scipio Taltarus. Once a simple hard-working family man, driven by the pain of seeing his family butchered into becoming one of the most revered warriors in all the galaxy. He didn’t fight for truth and justice; he simply fought for Legion World and his fellow soldiers. He was the most decorated soldier ever among the Legion World armies. He would receive one last Medal of Honor for this battle, albeit posthumously.

Danger Damsel. Driven by a fear over events that she could not control, and then later by the realization that only she could prevent herself from being the victim, she grew into a great fighter, a great friend, a woman of passion and most of all, a woman of action. She too, fought for the LMB, and did so because she trusted that when it came down to it, they would make great wrongs right. She experienced fear and hate, anger and sadness, and finally, at the end, she had experienced love.

And now, holding each other’s hands, the two took comfort in each other, which gave the other soldiers comfort. And finally, the killing blows began, and Scipio and Danger Damsel held onto each other, as they finally passed on to another lifetime.

click to enlarge
RIP

#109184 10/10/06 11:25 AM
Leader
Leader
Hovering inches above the ground Kid Marvel kissed Nathan and looked into his eyes.
"Just remember...whatever happens stay down."
"Will do babe" Nathan adjusted the collar on his Red Shirt and Kid Marvel drifted into the street outside. Picking up a Car he hurled it at the tripod, hoping to draw its attention away from the crowd.
The tripod fired a blast at Kid Marvel and he was thrown back, smashing through the window of the Sundollar.
"Owww...ow ow ow." To noone in particular "That really really hurt."
Picking himself up and brushing the broken glass from his uniform Kid Marvel flew back into the street.
"Looks like Ill have to take the more direct aproach."
He flew at the tripod and tore at one of its legs, ripping it from its metal socket. The tripod toppled over, unable to balance on just two legs. It let off another scream and fired at Kid Marvel, though this time it missed, the energy blast shooting off harmlessly into the atmosphere.
Kid Marvel landed ontop of the fallen tripod and punched through its shell, reaching deep inside its metallic depths until he was rewarded with an admittedly very satisfying squelch. Ripping the inards out of the machine Kid Marvel looked into the eyes of the Aliens true form.
"Not on my planet." he shrugged and threw the Alien, launching it into space.
He flew back to the partially destroyed Sundollar to where Nathan was waiting.
"That was so butch! Ive gotta say Im loving this side of you."
"Gimme some sugar baby."
The two began to kiss passionately and the ground heaved again. Lightning started to come down every where, striking again and again with a determined ferocity. Tripods were emerging from craters that had formed wherever Kid Marvel looked.
"Bloody Hell. We're going to need a bigger boat."
"You know you're not funny right?" Said Nathan, and he ducked behind an overturned car.

Kid Marvel held his right hand out in front of him, pressing a small button hidden on a ring on his index finger.
"Online"
A series of holographic screens appeared over his right hand and wrist. He selected the largest screen.
the screens dissapeared and were replaced with a three dimensional representation of a young girl in a purple costume.
"Mission Monitor Lass...whats the trouble?"
"Monny..Its Joe"
"Hello gorgeous! havent heard from you in awhile. How's Tricks in the Sticks?"
"Not good...Ive got Tripods."
"What? thats not possible...The Tri-Martians have been extinct for years"
"do they look extinct to you?" Kid Marvel held his arm up for Mission Monitor Lass to see. "like I said. tripods. and theyve been here awhile from the looks of it. Im going to need anyone you can spare for this one."
"No love Joey. Im the only one here. everyone's off on some mission or another. After all that mess with the Invasion and the Dark Oval nigh on the entirety of the LMBP are helping mop up the mess."
"God Dammit."
"Oh Wait...Lester's hanging around somewhere."
"Lester? Lester who?"
"Spiffany."
"LESTER SPIFFANY? who in gods name gave him a flight ring?"
"Tamper."
"Oh. Right then."
"Should I send him in? Ill try hailing who I can but I dont like your chances."
"Fine. Good. Send Him. maybe he can throw enough money at them to topple a few"
"Hailing him now"

A threshold opened and Lester Spiffany stepped out onto the street. Kid Marvel looked at him, extending his hand in greeting.
"Hey Lester. Long Time."
The Tripods all turned to look at Lester.
"So...here's where you really earn that flightring."
the Tripods resumed their firing, destroying everything within sight.
Lester looked on in Horror.
"Eep."
the threshold still open, Lester turned on his heals and ran back through it. As it closed behind him Kid Marvel could hear a distinct cry of "Stupid! all of you Stupid!"

It took him the better part of an hour, but Kid Marvel managed to gain the attention of the Tripods allowing the terrified people of Old Newcastle to escape. Nathan though, unbeknownst to Kid Marvel, had stayed behind, taking cover behind and overturned bus. Kid Marvel had managed to take 3 of the Tripods down but 15 still remained. His Ring beeped.
"Online"
"Joey...Its Monny. Good news...Im sending in a few of the Cadets."
"Praise be! I need all the help I can get."
"Thresholding now"

High above the Street a threshold opened and three figures emerged, A Purple Haired woman and two men.
They landed near Kid Marvel.
"Hi" Said the first of the two men. "Heard you could use a hand. Im Hardshell the Turtle Boy."
"Mess" said the second, covered in Dust.
"Virus" Said the Purple haired woman.
"And what can you do?"
click to enlarge
"I can make things go really really slow."
"Riiiiight."
click to enlarge
"I can control Viruses, Sicknesses. That sort of thing."
Something else else was at the back of Kid Marvels mind though he couldnt for the life of him remember what.
"How about you?" he said, Gesturing to the Man covered in Dust.
click to enlarge
"I can control dirt."
"Right. Usefull"
"Actually it is pretty useful." Mess clenched his hand, making a fist. The dirt around him started to Swirl. He thrust the fist forward, pointing upwards to one of the tripods. A Wave of Dirt particles flew at the Tripod, percing its shell and sending it falling to the ground.
"Nifty. 1 down. 15 to go. "
Nathan had been listening from the Sidelines. shaking his head he emereged from behind his hiding place and approached the quartet.
"God...you know they did publish books before the year 3000. War of the Worlds? You've never read it?"
"Nope"
"No"
"Nah"
"I saw the Holovid."
Nathan sighed "And what happened in the end of the Holovid?"
"Oh it was pretty Lame. Tom Cruise didnt die and then they just up and ended the movie and they were all 'and this is how the Aliens died.'"
"And how did the Aliens Die?"
"I dont know...some Earth Virus wiped them out apparently." I took a moment but Nathan swore he see the instant that Kid Marvel clicked to the point. "Oh Yeaaah. Virus."
He looked at the purple haired Girl. "do you think you could do something"
"I can give it a try. activate you're trainsuits."
"Whats a transuit and where can I get one?" asked Nathan
"Damn." said Virus "I cant risk infecting him..whoever he is...with whatever I throw at them."
"Dont worry" Said Kid Marvel " In this form Im pretty much invulnerable. he can wear mine."
"Here" he said, handing over the thin see through material.

Virus held her hand to her mouth, as if to blow a kiss. She coughed. immediately the Tripods began falling to the ground.

"Lame." Said Kid Marvel. "You coughed on them and they Died."
"Anyway. We won. Yay."
Hardshell began to scream.
"Gawd. Dont get to excited. do you want a Xanax or something" Nathan began shiffling around in his bag.
"52!" cried Hardshell "52 FiftytwoFIFTYTWO! they're coming!"
"Who's coming?" said Mess
"The Fifdeeee Toooooooo"

Remember : It's not technically a suckerpunch if you yell ''DEFEND YOURSELF SPROCKER!'' two seconds before you let him have it.
#109185 10/10/06 05:40 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Old Town. Wyandotte's Secret HQ.

Viewing his huge vid-display board, Harold R. Wyandotte is unsurprised when his associate Ord suddenly appears in the room behind him.

"You summoned me, Wyandotte?" Ord says, a hint of annoyance in his voice. "I am pretty busy, you know!"

"Yes. Quite," Wyandotte answers in an offhand manner, his eyes never leaving his precious display. "I have news."

"Well?"

"Hummer Lass has been captured."

"What?!?!" Ord cries in frustration. "She'll lead them to us!!"

"Oh, don't be daft, Ord," scoffs Wyandotte as he swivels his chair to face Ord. "What can she possibly tell them? If anything, it'll just confuse them. Her understanding of what's happening here is, shall we say, very limited."

"She knows we plan to kill Lard Lad and Whordru at their wedding!"

"When they hear her version, Ord, she's going to sound like a raving lunatic! What will she have to offer them in the way of concrete information? She doesn't know how to find us! And what kind of description can she provide? A hideously scarred man? And me? How much sense will her description of me make to them? It'll either lead them after the wrong person or confirm that she's lost her mind! I made sure that her mind is not firing on all cylinders when I began manipulating her. We're safe."

"Okay," Ord says calmly, "but what of our plans for her and the wedding?"

"We'll alter them somewhat. The most important thing at the moment is that Lard Lad's still alive...for now...until our plan is set into motion."

"Yes, I suppose that's fixable enough."

"Indeed," Wyandotte says smiling. It is definitely an entirely unpleasant smile.

#109186 10/12/06 03:54 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally posted by Bevis:
[b]Meanwhile, elsewhere...
"You're sure?" Lucien Lad asked.

"Very sure," said the other LMBPer, "I asked you to not get involved in the Invasion for a reason. I was needed myself but it wasn't the time for you. That's coming, and soon. Legion World had to live without you for 52 days for a reason. Believe me, what I've told you will come about soon enough."

Lucien Lad frowned, then stopped quickly in case he caused any needless wrinkles, and turned back to the screens. So far everything he'd been told had been true and if he couldn't trust his friend then who could he trust? It didn't mean he had to like it though...[/b]
Originally posted by Liberty Monkey:
“Excuse, Mr., er…” stumbled Kid Gender Stereotype Reversal II. She smiled. “I’m not sure what to call you.”

“Greetings Kid Gender Reversal Stereotype II! You may call me Liberty Monkey, though I have taken the full name Cicero Chomsky Ester!”

“Well Liberty Monkey, I have a mystery that involves a good friend and I can’t seem to find anyone else at the moment. Tell me, what do you know about ‘52’, other than today marks the 52nd day after the Invasion? Because I have this friend, Dormant Damsel, and…” as she told him, he curiously listened, and both were unaware of someone listening.

“Interesting,” thought the Space Ranger of the Dark Oval…
“Greetings Kent Shakespeare!” said Liberty Monkey, as he entered the room. “Allow me to introduce Kid Gender Stereotype Reversal II, if you have not met her already.” The sporty young lady nodded at him and Kent smiled back with a nod.

“What can I do for you Liberty Monkey? I’m not sure if you know this, but I’ve got a ton of things going on…” he added, hoping Liberty Monkey would get the drift as to how busy he was. Currently, he was the ranking member of the LMBP on Legion World just days before his term as Deputy Leader was set to expire. To make these final days more enjoyable, he mused, time/space appeared to fluctuating, there were various disturbances in the streets (tanks?), the clean-up of Legion World continued with its massive bureaucratic undertaking as well, and now there was an apparent murder that the security office was investigating. Yes, he had his plate pretty well full. “…but I’ve always got time for you,” he added with a smile.

“Thank you,” said the Calamity Monkey. “Perhaps KGSR II would like to continue?” he said, leaving them both stunned that he was said ‘KGSR II’.

“It involved the ‘52’, whatever that is…” she began, and continued on.

Twenty minutes later, the two left Kent’s office disappointed. Disappointed that despite wishing he could help, Kent could obviously not set aside any time for this mystery, and disappointed that he had no additional information. Kent did have high connections though (albeit secret ones) and promised to follow-up. “Back to square one,” said KGSR II, a little let-down. “Maybe my power might come in handy on Tamper Lad…”

“A welcome thought,” said Liberty Monkey, “and I will accompany you!”

As they walked on, one more the Lonestar Ranger of the Dark Oval followed on curiously.

Unknown to him however, he too was being watched. Lucien Lad looked at his friend, catching a look from afar of what was happening on Legion World. “And so it truly begins?” said Lucien Lad, watching Liberty Monkey and Kid Gender Stereotype Reversal II walk off.

“And so it begins…” said his friend…

#109187 10/12/06 03:56 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Legion World Office of Security. Interrogation Room.

Seated in a booster chair, Lil’ Matlock narrows his eyes and faces Hummer Lass who is seated opposite him on a narrow wooden table. Above them in the dark room shines a single light source burning hotly and tilted toward the subject of the interrogation. Behind Lil’ Matlock and at the door stand two uniformed guards holding shock sticks. Observing from another room via a vid-monitor is Candace Ames a.k.a. Shady.

“Ms. Goodwyfe,” Matty begins, “you’ve been read your rights, and you’ve declined an attorney’s service at this time. Do you understand that anything you say here can be held against you?”

“Yes.”

“I’ll ask you one more time, Ms. Goodwyfe: Do you wish to proceed without an attorney?”

“I have done nothing wrong, sir,” she says calmly. “I have nothing to hide.”

“Okay, then,” he continues and holds up a holo-card, “are you responsible for this act?” The card displays a still of the crime scene and HUGEMANBREAST’s lifeless body.

“Yes, I killed that imposter,” she states, showing a look of satisfaction.

“Imposter?” Matty says with a hint of shock. “Then…you knew the victim was not who he appeared to be?”

“Yes, that’s why I killed him. I knew he wasn’t my Lardy, but a heartless conniver attempting to usurp his identity.”

“You think the victim was attempting to take Lard Lad’s place?”

“Oh, yes!” she exclaimed. “He’s been masquerading as Lardy for months!”

“Months?”

“Oh, isn’t it obvious? It was that horrible deceiver who committed murder in the Dark Oval! It was him who sowed the seeds of war between them and Legion World and created all this unease here. And it was him who…rejected me… when I reached out to him …professed my love for him. He was a horrible bastard manipulator who’s played everyone on Legion World and beyond for fools! I am so proud to have ended his reign of terror! I can’t believe you’re thinking of pressing charges against me, since you obviously know he was an imposter!”

“Are you seriously saying HUGEMANBREASTS could’ve done all the things you’ve described, Ms. Goodwyfe?”

“Hugh?” Hummer Lass says confused. “Of course not! That’s ridiculous! Why in the world would you bring Hugh’s name into this? What does he have to do with anything?”

“Ms. Goodwyfe,” Lil’ Matlock says, “don’t you realize that the imposter you killed was Hugh?”

Her mouth agape, Hummer Lass stands up, shouts and slams her fist on the table. “Ridiculous! That wasn’t Hugh! It was a shape shifter, a Durlan or something, not Hugh!”

Seeing her getting more aggressive, the guards hold up their shock sticks poised to activate them.

“Easy, boys,” Lil’ Matlock says waving them off. “Ms. Goodwyfe…Pru…please sit back down. I don’t want them to use the shock sticks, and neither do you, okay?”

Silently, she sits back down, showing signs of tearing up. “I would never hurt Hugh.”

In response Lil’ Matlock withdraws another holo-card and shows it to her.

“See this?” he prompts. “This is a vid of the autopsy on the man you killed. See these scars on his pectoral area? This is where the victim had breast reduction surgery. See the navel area? The victim had navel construction surgery. A clone has no navel, you see. After we did an intense study of the victim’s DNA, we were able to identify the cloned alleles and the adjustments that were made to give him the large breasts. We were also able to determine his relative age as less than ten years since he was cloned, and his brain had defects that account for his mentally slow nature. All of that and the fact that Dedman was able to contact his spirit in the afterlife lead to the unmistakable conclusion that the victim you killed was, most definitely, HUGEMANBREASTS, not a shape-shifter or some other hypothetical clone.”

In tears now, Hummer Lass cries, “no, NO! This is some kind of sick trick!”

The door opens, and Shady enters. Despite the tacit warning of the guards, she goes right to Hummer Lass and takes her into her arms. “It’s true, Pru…it’s true.”

Seeing Shady and feeling her embrace, Hummer Lass breaks down as she accepts the truth. “…no…you have to believe me…I never meant to hurt poor Hugh…you’ve gotta…” And words fail her as the tears flow freely and fiercely. Her cries are deafening.

“I believe you, sweetie,” Shady says soothingly and tries to calm her with her powers.

After the tears slow down a little, Lil’ Matlock decides to press her more, “Pru…why were you so convinced that someone’s been impersonating Lardy all this time?”

Catching her breath a little, Pru whispers, “b-because the real Lardy escaped from where he was imprisoned. H-he came to me and t-told me all about it.”

Matty and Shady gave each other a surprised look that tacitly said, “huh?”

#109188 10/12/06 04:18 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Weber’s WorldCapital Planet of the United Planets

Outdoor Miner teleported in to Weber’s World with great proficiency, so that the landing was soft and smooth. With him was Spellbinder, Princess Crujectra of Psyonia, who was glad to be done with the journey through space from the Contested Territories to Weber’s World. He had picked her up from Abin a few days ago not far from here, as he himself had been at Weber’s World with the small away team sent there, and this would allow Abin to get back to Legion World. Spellbinder already missed Cobalt Kid, and she missed Legion World even more. This was important though, even if it was largely ceremonial. Every year, the LMB renewed their alliance with the United Planets, a ceremony more out of protocol, but also an opportunity for both sides of the equation to show the tremendous amount of mutual respect they had for one another. This year, the small contingent on Weber’s World represented the LMB well: Actor Lad, the outgoing LMB Leader, who was wrapping up the end of his term*, Legion World Founders Kid Prime and Saturn Girl, who represented Legion World itself, and Spellbinder herself, who although a Legion World Founder as well, represented the LMB Founders. Also in attendance were the LMBers Poverty Lad, Yellow Kid and Fat Cramer.

“Thank you Miner,” said Crujectra, “that’ll make things easier if I get here on a timely fashion. You might as well join the rest of us for the festivities—its generally a lot of food, socializing, drinking and dancing that go on every year. Of course, in the old days it used to be Lash, Cobie, Lucien, Lardy, Far, Lou and the rest that represented us, so you can say its calmed down slightly,” she grinned. “Maybe your legendary drinking will get it back to that…”

“A relatively peaceful LMB event?” said Miner, “I’ll believe it when I see it…”

Weber’s World, Actor Lad’s Quarters

“Looks like things won’t be so peaceful after all,” said Actor, turning to Fat Cramer and Kid Prime. “The Barbarian Hordes have apparently just decimated a small contingent of Cobalt’s army within UP territory. Its all everyone is hearing about, and you can bet the ambassadors on this planet will want to discuss.”

“It looks like the very end of your term is as interesting as the rest of it,” replied Fat Cramer with a sigh, noting that Actor Lad had one of the roughest terms in LMB history, with a series of events, wars and other things that could have been disastrous. He had led the LMB quite well and avoided them all.

“The more things change…” said Kid Prime with a half-grin that most experienced LMBers wore more often than not.

The Dark Oval

“Say goodbye Lolita,” said Cobalt as he flew at top-speed, Jailbait Lass in his arms, “I can’t say this parting is a sad one.”

Jailbait Lass looked once more upon the Dark Oval, before crossing back through the borders in the United Planets. “Me either.”

“I’m sure we’ll see the Dark Oval again,” he continued, “but I hope it won’t be for awhile. Exit the Dark Oval to stage left, and lets move on to the next act…in the Barbarian Hordes…”

“Its about time too!” said S.H.A.G., hovering above Cobalt’s head.

*<span style="font-size: 10px;">This tag thread takes place shortly after the election of the new LMB leader and marks the very end of Actor Lad’s term</span>

#109189 10/13/06 09:49 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The Planet Google

Two men in millitary uniforms sat at a meeting table in a meeting room in Database City on the planet Google.

"Legion World remains a threat to us. Their love of characters too obscure for us to index remains unchanged."

"You have failed Captain Metadata. Do you realize what this means. It costs us billions to index and maintain indices on the likes Meglaro and LesterSpiffany ."

"I will prepare the contigency."

"Yes the Barbarian Horde may give us our opportunity"

Nova Girl's Apartment

Nova Girl's apartment was a modest space in a quarter of Legion World popular with professional types who fancied themselves artistic and Bohemian but were every bit as pretentious as the young professionals who dined nightly at the Evil Genius Club.

She had furnished the space with antique reminders of her varied roots. On the mantle was a collection of ancient Taltarian man-taming gear including several whips and spurred riding boots. The furniture was eclectic, collected from the many worlds she had visited. Her latest pieces were classic chrome plated pieces from Earth's space age.

Nova Girl herself was lounging in the main room attempting to catch up on the overwhelming number of briefings papers she had ordered on corruption on Legion World. She had just settled on a hefty one concerning Khund infiltration in the janitorial supply market when the door rang.

"Hmmm Maybe it's Thora." thought Nova Girl as she remembered the Taltarian Ambassador's earlier promise to bring antiques that she might be interested in for her collection.

Opening the door...

"VERONICA, my you look thin dear. Have you been eating right? And put on some clothes you know those skimpy outfits attract nothing but the wrong type of man."

"MOTHER! How nice to see you. What brings you to Legion World?" she said fake smile etched firmly onto her face, as she thought of the many ways she would hurt Tamper Lad.

#109190 10/13/06 11:09 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Legion World Office of Security. Interrogation Room.

Later...

Hummer Lass, head bowed, is being lead out as Lil' Matlock and Shady look on.

"So," Lil' Matlock says as the trio disappear from view, "what do you think?"

"I just don't know, sweetie," Shady answers with a thoughtful look in her eyes, "it can go two ways. She's either the victim of an elaborate conspiracy..." She pauses, thinks and says, "...or she's totally psychotic and has lost her hold on reality!"

"With your abilities, can't you tell which is the case?"

"No, not without giving her intense therapy. I've decided to stay on awhile to do just that. I've always been concerned about the poor girl. I think she's had some major trauma in her past to make her have her particular...proclivities. And now this!"

"Sounds like you're leaning toward the 'psychotic' theory."

"No, Matty, I'm not. But either way, she needs my help."

"That was all some really 'out-there' stuff, though," he says. "Lardy comes back from being imprisoned somewhere, minus most of his power, and convinces Pru that Whordru and a fake Lardy (who are both responsible for his imprisonment) need to die at their wedding, so he can take back his rightful place?"

"Yes," she acknowledges, "it's very elaborate. If she's not psychotic, the story's either somehow true with Lardy having been impersonated all this time. Or this 'Wyandotte' she speaks of is using Lardy's appearance and this story to manipulate her for his own ends."

"Just to be safe," Matty says, "I'm gonna try to track down Lardy and Dru. If that version is true...well that's just scary!"

"Yes, it is," Shady says, "and it would explain some things. But I don't think the real Lardy would ever do anything to hurt Pru--or drive her to murder anyone."

"But just in case--?"

With a serious look on her face, she answers, "find him, sweetie."

#109191 10/13/06 11:17 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
“Alright everyone, lets get started. We need to move fast and this call was the quickest way to get things in order.” Actor Lad’s voice was strong and direct, and came through quite clearly on the omni-coms. It would after all, given his powers of super-acting.

“Our very own LMB Conference Call,” said Abin Quank, and that he was grinning came through quite clearly.

“Yes, you could say that,” replied Actor, “everyone sound off so we know who’s online.

Weber’s World

“Spellbinder, LMB Founder and Legion World Founder, here with Actor Lad on Weber’s World.”

“Kid Prime, Legion World Founder, same.”

“Saturn Girl, Legion World Founder, same. With us also but not on the call is Poverty Lad, Outdoor Miner and Yellow Kid.”

“Abin Quank, Chief of Security, same, though I’m not a part of this mission.”

Unknown??

“Lightning Lad, Legion World Founder. I’d rather not say where.”

The Barbarian Hordes

“Cobalt Kid, LMB Founder. Somewhere causing an international incident.” Cobalt was also grinning. Jailbait Lass stood next to him, on another asteroid, and held his omni-com, patching him in through the call.

“Okay, good. I was going to call in Legion World too, but there’s no need right now. I’ll log an official leader’s report following the call. But for the moment, as we’re all out here in this part of the UP, or close enough, it should just be us. Between Kent Shakespeare back home, as well as Nightcrawler, Matlock, and a whole host of other LMBers, Legion World will be in good hands,” Actor Lad finished.

“Agreed,” said Lightning Lad. “What’s the situation Actor?”

“We’ve got a problem,” replied the LMB Leader, “the Barbarian Hordes have begun an assault on the UP border force along the western border contingent, in what looks to be an aggressive attack by the army on its way to the Dark Oval. It appears to be unprovoked, and an attempt by its leader, Dominus, to show that they are not to be trifled with.”

“Well…” said Kid Prime, “…now that was dumb.”

“Cobalt, your army sustained heavy losses. We have found no survivors at this time,” finished Actor Lad. “I’ve asked UP military forces to continue to scout for survivors.”

Cobalt remained silent on the other line. “Thank you”, he finally said.

“Apparently, the D.O./Barbarian Horde is underway,” said Spellbinder now, “and if any UP planets or forces are caught in the middle, neither side cares much about it. Unless Dominus had a more sinister plan for entering UP space?” she added.

Cobalt knew she was talking to him. “It’s possible. I’m currently investigating something that I think is somewhat related, concerning the Black Sun. I think there may be a connection between them and the Barbarian Hordes, and this may be a smoke-screen. But given that lives were lost and the army is proceeding violently without a care towards the UP citizenry, the problem stands no matter what the motivation…” Cobalt continued, his words drifting off as he was considering what was happening.

“How do you plan to proceed, Actor?” asked Scott. Whatever Lightning Lad was doing, there was a sense that he didn’t have much time to spare.

“I’m considering the options. We can let the UP military handle this with LMB back-up or make this an LMB priority matter ourselves. Although this has international politics written all over it, we can’t risk more lives being lost.”

“I agree with Actor,” said Saturn Girl. “We have a good contingent of LMBers close by.”

“And I can lend some added firepower,” said Abin, knowing full well the power his ring would lend to tipping the scales.

“I agree with Actor also,” said Cobalt. “I’m sending on what I know about Dominus. While clearly his main objective is the Dark Oval, he’s doing this as a show of force to the UP, which he one day plans on invading. It would be prudent to nip that in the bud now.”

“While we’re waiting for Jailbait Lass to send your files Cobie, what can you tell us out-right?” said Kid Prime

“That he’s the worst of the Barbarian Hordes, Ggrrgg and Khundia combined. If he could, he’d subjugate us all, the UP and Dark Oval included. There’s more motivations going on here than just that, but that’s the initial threat.”

“Actor?” said Kid Prime

“We’ll cut him off. The seven of us will go in and push him back into the Barbarian Hordes. So long as they are in the UP, they can’t contest our right to do so. Cobie, Scooter, can you join us?”

“Unfortunately no,” said Lightning Lad, “I’m farther away than you think.”

“Neither can I,” said Cobalt. “In fact, I’m going to get to the root of the problem. I’m currently in the Barbarian Hordes and I’m going to the head planet of the Khanate of Carthac, where Dominus lives. I’ll learn what I can there and make a full report.”

“Bloody Liberty, Cobie,” said Abin, “and someone once told me I don’t respect international borders.”

“I said I’d be more honest about this stuff,” replied Cobalt. “Security Chief, Triumvir, etc., none of those titles matter. This is very much an LMB matter and it’ll help us understand this threat. Besides, Jailbait Lass is here and she’ll keep me honest,” he laughed.

“Do what you need to do,” said Actor Lad with an air of annoyance, “you will anyway. But intergalactic war better not arise out of this. We heard the Dark Oval/UP war is finally over now, lets not get involved in another. Maybe after this you’ll stay away from hostile territories for awhile, or at least be another leader’s problem…” he finished. “But enough. We have a job to do. We’ll cut off Dominus.”

“Good luck, Actor,” said Cobalt, “and for what it’s worth, it’s the right decision. No more military battles. The LMB can handle this one.”

“Shall we say it?” said Kid Prime after a second, before the call ended. “I mean, there are a bunch of us on the phone.”

“You bet,” replied Lightning Lad. “Go get ‘em LMB—Sweet Ass Sweet!!!”

#109192 10/13/06 12:28 PM
M
Applicant
Applicant
M
Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza

< It had only seemed like minutes since Maxx the Sorcerer had wearily crawled into bed next to his husband. The unpacking was finally finished, and the couple were settled into their new home. The unpacking wasn't so bad, but Maxx had also spent the majority of the afternoon casting shields over his new Workroom, the place where he could cast his spells in relative safety. It wouldn't impress the neighbors to have their suites damaged from mystical spillover. >

[Maxx the Sorcerer]: Hmmmmm? Didju say smthing, Mykel?

< Maxx pried open one eye wearily, then both eyes opened wide in surprise. >

[Maxx the Sorcerer]: What in the...?

< Maxx was floating in midair, several feet above the bed. He looked around the room, and every single thing in the room, from the bed itself to the smallest comb, was also floating in the air. With one exception. >

[Maxx the Sorcerer]: Honey? Are you awake, or possessed or anything?

< Sleeping soundly in the bed below him, Prince Mykel of Psyonia didn't stir. Frowning in concern, Maxx gently reached out through the soul-link that he shared with his husband. >

[Maxx the Sorcerer (telepathically through soul-link)]: Mykel, sweetie, is there any particular reason that you're levitating the bedroom?

< Instantly awake, Mykel sat bolt upright in bed. Unfortunately, his conscious didn't seem to take it's cue from his subconscious, and everything that was floating in the room... stopped. Maxx let out a manly scream as he suddenly fell to the bed. >

[The Crusader]: Honey, are you all right?

[Maxx the Sorcerer]: Peachy, dear. The question is are YOU all right?

[The Crusader]: What happened?

[Maxx the Sorcerer]: I'll take that as a "I don't remember sleep-levitating the whole room."

< Mykel put one hand to his head, struggling to remember. >

[The Crusader]: That's so weird. I haven't unconsciously used my powers since I was a kid and just learning to control them.

< Maxx looked at his mate with his MageSight. Typically, Crusader's power signature was visible to his MageSight as a light blue aura glowly around him. Now, however, it was a deeper blue, and was pulsing. >

[Maxx the Sorcerer]: Pretty. I could be mistaken, but it looks like your powers are spiking. Is it possible that they are getting stronger?

[The Crusader]: Well, it's not unheard of for an adult Psyonian to gain a new power, or even have his power levels increase spontaneously, but it's rare. We typically fully come into our powers by the time we reach 16 or 17 years of age.

[Maxx the Sorcerer]: I think we should drop by the Medical Center in the morning. Maybe Doctor One should run a few tests. Just to be sure. In the meantime...

< Maxx raised his hands above his head, and softly said a short incantation. The air about the bed began to shimmer, and then thickened slightly, just enough to remain visible. >

[Maxx the Sorcerer]: This cocoon should keep you contained in case your subconscious gets restless again.

[The Crusader]: Hmmmm... I wonder if this is happening to Crujectra as well?

#109193 10/14/06 09:44 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Offices of The Legion World Herald. Legionnopolis.

In the office of editor Jonah White sits ace reporter Clark Marlowe waiting patiently for his tardy boss to arrive for the scheduled meeting. Clark passes the time rereading Jonah's editorial on the mysterious new Old Town heroine Bat-Fem. Jonah alluded to this meeting somehow being about her, so Clark sits admiring the old man's skill at prose. Clark is a little envious of the old man's unparalled gift.

But his reverie is rudely interrupted as Jonah suddenly bursts in. "Marlowe! Glad to see you made it--thought you'd never get here!"

Clark pushes back the urge to roll his eyes and says, "so where's the fire, Chief?"

"It ain't about where it is, Marlowe, it's about where it needs to be--up your butt! And don't call me Chief!"

"Alright, Ch--Mr. White. Why do I need a fire lit up my butt this time?"

"It's this Bat-Fem, Marlowe! She's the hottest news on our artificial planet, and we don't know squat about her!"

"Beg pardon, Chief, but aren't the Barbarian threat, the HUGEMANBREASTS murder and that weirdness at the comic factory much bigger news?"

"I said, don't call me--oh, nevermind. Listen Marlowe...this Bat-Fem is busting up crime all over Old Town like no one else has been able to since the Invasion, and no one knows who she is! Further, she's a masked vigilante who is totally unaffiliated and independent of the most powerful peacekeeping force in the galaxy, which also happens to be based on this world. And she's doing her thing right under their noses and doing it better! Now, that's a sexy sprockin' story!"

"But--"

"No 'buts' about it--it's the sexy stories that sell news-holos here, not necessarily the most important ones! You're my best reporter here, Marlowe, and this is the story I want you on! Find out who she is and what she's all about--and I want it yesterday! Any questions, Marlowe?"

"No, sir," he says, knowing it's useless to argue with the old man. "I'm on it!"

#109194 10/14/06 01:34 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Earth, Offices of the Dynamic Corporate Management Board

"Sir, we have received reports that our corporate partners on Google may have plans to acquire Legion World."

"Impossible! They wouldn't dare without consulting the other members of The Web... Or would they? Keep me abreast of this situation. And schedule a conference call with the Amazon Dot-Command."

#109195 10/15/06 09:27 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Greg Evignan Island

Two figures skulk outside the walls of Eryk Davis Ester's sanctum.

"So, where is he?" asks a small cloaked figure, "We've traveled all this way! I need to finish this!"

"Easy, my sister" answers a larger fur-covered creature, "You need to control yourself. If you act too rashly, you'll ... ARRGH!"

"Quiet, Woodchuck! I'm running the show! Now, go get the others!"

"Now?"

"Yes, now! We'll storm the walls! Our brother dies tonight!"

The sound of laughter fills the night.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...
#109196 10/15/06 10:48 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Levitz Plaza

The finance market opened to yet another invasion force arriving on Legion World. This one was different in that it looked decidedly nerdy. Disembarking was the newly arrived representatives of the planet Google.

"I am Captain Metadata and I have come on behalf of the DataLord of Planet Google to save Legion World from the Barbarian Horde. My assistants B-tree and BlackBerry the Binary Wonders will provide details via push e-mail."

Message from the Googlian DataLords ... Google Offers 180 Trillion to rebuild Legion World. Additionally we will eliminate the barbarian menace. In exchange all references to obscure characters will be replaced by pointless debates about Wolverine and Batman.

#109197 10/16/06 09:14 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
The Barbarian Hordes

Cobalt Kid flew through space in silence, Jailbait Lass in his arms and S.H.A.G. following closely. Little had been said since the call, and the full impact of all that happened weighed down on them. “Scipio…Anne…” Cobalt has whispered after the call and Jailbait Lass knew he was thinking of his dead friends. More dead friends. But that was all the emotion he showed and he continued on more determined than ever. That wasn’t good—she knew that. After all the trouble they just had in the Dark Oval and his relentless military pursuit of them. How would he react this time to the Barbarian Hordes? She knew some plan was forming in his head that would be payback tempered by enough progress to incite little speculation towards his intentions.

“Cobie, take a look at this,” said Jailbait Lass, as she read her omni-com. He flew on through space, smiling at her in his arms. These last few days had been especially harsh, and she showed no signs of fatigue, though he knew she must be exhausted. Even with her hair messily in her face she still looked beautiful. It had always amused him to see her ‘all business’ attitude upon such a petite little figure. “It’s a message from Dr. Mayavale.”

“Oh?” he said intrigued. “What’s the good Doctor have to say?” replied Cobalt, as he shifted his trench-coat over them some more. The trench-coat Cobalt wore was designed by Mystery Lad himself, one of Cobalt Kid’s oldest friends, and was one of his most effective espionage weapons. It cloaked him from all technology.

“Let’s see…” she said, pausing to reread it all, “…something about Eleanor Roosevelt, a powerful being that was once a great evil in past lives but a force for good now…(man, this guy is weird sometimes)…”

“What did I tell you, Lolita? The LMB would do well to listen more to Dr. Mayavle.”

“Here, we go,” she said, ignoring him, “something about the Black Sun on Legion World. That can’t be good, especially with all you’ve told me.”

“No…it can’t,” he replied, then getting quiet for awhile. Finally he spoke back up. “There’s little we can do about it. Whoever is investigating them on LW is on their own. Let’s hope he or she is up to the task…” he trailed off. Jailbait Lass looked up at him now, and noticed Cobalt’s features. They were still scarred, and she still had to force herself to look at them, but upon closer inspection, she realized they appeared to be getting better. Yes, she thought, they definitely were—the burn marks had all but faded, and the damage to his eye sockets appeared to be repairing. That huge scar across his forehead appeared to not be budging however. But she was glad—he was healing himself. That spoke volumes about his state of mind. “What else, Lolita?” he asked.

“You’ve got tons to catch up on, Cobie. I better read it all to you while we’re traveling. Matlock has various reports on small items that Abin or Crujectra wouldn’t have mentioned. You’re not going to believe whose getting married…”

#109198 10/16/06 09:43 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Levitz Plaza - Google Hospitality Tent

Captain Metadata stood in a media scrum challenging the Legion World leadership to put Google's all-cash offer to a referendum.

Beleaguered citizens of Legion World waited in line waiting to use the wonderous Google search technology that allowed whatever the user searched for to appear before them.

Though B-tree and Blackberry were restricting the use of the Search Engine to practical necessities of life, they demonstrated the truly amazing capabilities by allowing Daily World reporter Ken Clarkson to enter 'date with Tinya Wazzo' into the engine. Clarkson and his date made a quick exit after promising a feature to on the date in the Sunday Edition of the World.

The assembled crowd including Winema was dazzled and amazed. High above the Plaza in the Psyonian Embassy the Legion World Leadership looked on worried.

#109199 10/16/06 09:55 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
The Border of the United Planets and the Barbarian Hordes

“There,” said Dominus, calm in his self-confidence. “That planet there. One last attack before we move into Dark Oval territory, to remind the United Planets that we aren’t held so easily in check by our borders. We’ll take a small contingent there while the army moves to the Dark Oval borders. Kill any soldiers or resistance and enslave the rest. We’ll need servants to do our daily work during this coming Dark Oval campaign.”

“Yes my Khan, we head for Bismol” said the warrior to his side, a large female Barbarian with a double-horned helmet on her head. “Victory is close.”

“Yes,” he replied, “I can taste the metallic nectar of spilled blood.”

The Border of the United Planets and the Dark Oval

“We make our stand at Bismol,” said Saturn Girl. Holding Spellbinder’s hand, the two LMBers combined their telepathic might to reach out across space and hone in on the Barbarian army walking dangerously close to UP territory. The power of the two strong females was underestimated by even themselves, and they had no problem learning the direction of the army.

“Bismol it is then,” said Actor Lad to the rest of the LMB, upon hearing the confirmation. “I’ve got an idea on how to proceed. I’d prefer no loss of life at all, but Bismol is our main priority. Our heavy hitters, Abin and Pov, will move in on their own to flank, while the rest of us follow my lead.”

Interlude: The Dark Oval

Though recent join partners in the war on Legion World and the United Planets, it was very rare for the Dominion and the Hrykosian Clan to have their highest ranking political heads meet face to face. Despite being a united front, the Dark Oval cartels were allowed to act on their own or in joint ventures without the other members, so long as those plans did not hinder the rest of the Dark Oval. Only on less than a half-dozen times had all five members of the Dark Oval have their heads of state meet in one place.

Thus, it was unusually rare that the Lord Hrykos and the Dominion Patriarch would meet, and do so in secret, without making an ordeal out of it. There was plenty of reason: the oncoming war with the Barbarian Hordes, the failed invasion of the United Planets and Legion World, and the perceived loss to the United Planets military and the forces of Cobalt Kid. These were all reasons to lobby to bring the entirety of the Dark Oval down upon all of the universe, no matter what the consequences. But this was something else entirely.

“I find your news most displeasing and most distressing,” said the Dominion Patriarch. “It appears your recent house-cleaning in search of traitors has incorporated the entire Dark Oval.”

“Yes,” said Lord Hrykos, “and with the results I never expected. Traitors in our organization are unprecedented! We take pride in our own willingly dying for us before they’d turn. But this— THIS ! This is unacceptable, and must be dealt with accordingly.”

“Agreed. We have been your ally throughout, and we continue to be so, as it suits our needs as well. We cannot tolerate betrayal in the Dark Oval, no matter how high is ranks. The entire Black Sun has betrayed us.”

“Yes. They worked against us even during our invasion and war. They sent subversive elements to Legion World to hinder our abilities. We must seek retribution. We must punish them.”

Both now, turned to a larger view screen. Only the two of them were in this most secret of places, in this room. A voice spoke, and the power of it echoed loudly, even through the monitor. “The other two-fifths will agree, as do I. Seek out your retribution. The Dark Oval prevails.”

“The Dark Oval prevails!” they replied. The Dominator Patriarch simply nodded and moved on, its analytical mind now calculating the multitude of ways this could be used to their advantage. Lord Hrykos allowed a blood-thirsty grin to glide over his face for a brief second, and then he prepared to get his revenge.

#109200 10/16/06 03:59 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Medical Center, LMBP Plaza

< The Crusader had lost track of how long he had been strapped into the scanning device, using his telekinetic powers against the weight press above him. Doctor One was seated nearby, going over the data coming in. And although he couldn't see him, he was picking up Maxx's thoughts from the waiting room down the hall, and his worry was broadcasting loud and clear through the soul-link. >

[Doctor One]: Okay, Crusader, I want you to give me one last push, with everything you've got.

< Turning his head upward, the Crusader gathered his will and then pushed. Suddenly, the weight press buckled and twisted, and then flew upward through the ceiling. The the ceiling above that. And the one above that. They could just make out the crash as the mangled machinery landed in the trees that encircled the Medical Center. >

[The Crusader]: Errrr... oops.

< Doctor One looked up from his clipboard. >

[Doctor One]: Oops, indeed, Your Highness. I guess I should have been expecting that.

< As the straps unbuckled themselves, the Crusader stepped down from the scanner and put his shirt back on. >

[The Crusader]: So, what's the verdict, Doctor?

[Doctor One]: Well, I have compared the data from your last check up with the data I gathered today, and as near as I can tell, your power levels are showing a 50% increase. And I'm not even certain if they are done rising.

[The Crusader]: I'm not going to go all evil and attack Legion World am I?

[Doctor One]: Are you feeling evil?

[The Crusader]: Well, I've got the munchies, but that's from fasting before this appointment.

[Doctor One]: Well, unless you decide to mutilate something for breakfast, I wouldn't worry too much about it. < He crossed the room to stand next to the prince. > To be honest, Psyonian physiology is not one of my stronger areas. This could be completely normal, or could be a symptom of some other problem. My best advice to you would be to talk to a physician back home.

< The Crusader shook his head to clear it. >

[The Crusader]: Well, I think I'll do that sooner, rather than later. I can work around moving the furniture when I'm not paying attention, but I'm having trouble blocking out other people's thoughts, and there are some minds I would just as soon stay out off, you know what I mean?

< Doctor One frowned, and wondered if the Crusader meant him. >

[The Crusader, sighing]: No, I didn't.

#109201 10/17/06 11:38 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Amazon dot Command

A large planet full of millitant Amazon women who just happened to be experts in information technology.

"Sisters! The Googlian Patriarchy has betrayed us. They intend to take Legion World for themselves."

#109202 10/17/06 12:58 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza

< The Crusader sat in his living room, staring incredulously at the hologram before him. Maxx the Sorcerer, seated next to him, whistled softly as he sank back into the cushions. >

[The Crusader]: You want to run that one by me again, Dad?

[King Hrold (sheepishly)]: We thought it was for your own good, son. Every 6 generations or so, a Psyonian is born with mutated genetic potential. Their gifts are manifested at power levels far exceeding their ability to control them. More often than not, the result is madness, or even death.

When your mother and I learned that you and Crujectra were born with mutated potential, we took steps to… control that.

[The Crusader]: What exactly does that mean, father?

[King Hrold]: Your mother and I, along with a few trusted advisors, constructed psionic barriers in your minds to limit the amount of psionic power you could access. We had planned to gradually remove these barriers as you got older, and allow you to gain control over them slowly.

But then you two ran off to join the LMBP, and the barriers seemed to be holding, so we decided to leave things as they were.

[The Crusader (sarcastically)]: Good plan, dad. It was much better to just wait to tell me until after I tossed my husband around the bedroom as I slept.

< As furnishings around the room began to vibrate, Maxx leaned forward and placed a hand on his husband’s arm. >

[Maxx the Sorcerer]: Easy, honey. Keep yourself calm… it will make it easier to stay in control.

< The Crusader closed his eyes and counted to ten. The furnishings ceased their trembling. He slowly opened his eyes again. >

[The Crusader]: So, exactly how powerful are we?

[King Hrold]: Honestly? I don’t know. Your power levels were off the scale when we first discovered your talent. The best guess our doctors had was that you and Crujectra were the strongest psionics to be recorded in nearly 400 years.

[The Crusader]: Swell.

[King Hrold]: What can I do to help you, my son?

[The Crusader]: Father, at the moment, I think you’ve helped enough. From here on out, I’ll trust my LMBP family to see me through this.

[King Hrold]: Son, please… this was done for your own good…

[The Crusader]: Good bye, Your Majesty.

< The Crusader deactivated the holo-communicator and sank back into the couch. Maxx leaned close, putting his arms around his husband. >

[Maxx the Sorcerer]: We’ll get through this, Mykel.

< The Crusader sighed and closed his eyes. >

[The Crusader]: I hope Crujectra is all right. I won’t be able to contact her until she returns from her mission. I just hope she can stay in control long enough for us to deal with this.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,848
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Star Boy
Star Boy
Melbourne, Australia
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star