Roll Call
0 members (), 11 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/18/24 05:00 PM
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Ann Hebistand - 04/18/24 02:50 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/18/24 02:18 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:17 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Re: "Omnia mutantur nos et mutamur in illis" - 52 days after INVASION
#109228 10/31/06 12:58 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Everywhere Across the Universe

Horror.

Pure, utter, unadulterated horror.

From the Colonial Sectors of peace and vacationing right to the very borders of the United Planets and the Dark Oval, every telepath and empath felt the sheer pain, fear and despair of six hundred billion sentients being completely obliterated.

Weber’s World

Saturn Girl screamed suddenly, as Kid Prime rushed to her side without hesitation. Using all of her discipline, she fought back the urge to buckle and fall to the florr.

Three rooms down, Spellbinder felt the same surge, immediately bringing her hands to her head to try and calm the influx of emotions being shot into her mind. The recent feelings that her power was increasing were proved correct, as the horrifying results flooded her thoughts without mercy.

And three levels away, Actor Lad and Abin Quank were present with the Weber’s World ambassadors when word of what had happened began to trickle in…

-------Transmission----------

Breaking news!!! Genocide in the Dark Oval!

Story still developing—appears the Black Sun cartel, one-fifth of the ruling forces of the Dark Oval, has been completely obliterated by the Dominion and the Hrykosian Clan! Reactions from across the UP to follow as leaders and citizens alike react to the horrendous butchery!

---------------End Transmission-------------

The Barbarian Hordes, the Khanate of Carthac

Silence. Prayer.

Millions of citizens in the Khanate of Carthac. Billions of citizens throughout the Barbarian Hordes. All silent now, gathering in prayer to remember the capital planet of the Black Sun. The home planet—the Holy Land. Destroyed. Murdered.

Caracalla’s sermons began quickly after news reached the Barbarian Hordes. Beloved members of the clergy that he had worked with for years, some even having power within the Black Sun close to his, all wiped out.

Now the Barbarian Hordes, common every day soldiers and citizens, who believed deeply in the religion of the Black Sun, came out to pray and show their horror and sorrow. They prayed to Sol Invictus to deliver his divine protection to them, who the Dark Oval also hated. And to deliver his divine wrath to the Dark Oval.

The Long 24 Hours, historians called it years later, as the Barbarian Hordes reacted to the news that the Dark Oval had destroyed the Holy Land of the Hordes’ greatest religion. It had to be divine intervention that somehow allowed Caracalla to be there in the Hordes with them, and not on the home planet itself when the genocide began. Certainly, it was divine intervention—Caracalla, after all, was divine himself.

And so, the unity of the Barbarian Hordes that was forged in fear and anger had now been tempered in sadness and remorse. The Holy Land was gone, but it lived on in their hearts forever. It had given them Martyrs.

-------Transmission----------

Breaking news!!! Caracalla to speak directly to the Barbarian Hordes this evening!

Broadcast will be available for residents of the United Planets and the Dark Oval!

---------------End Transmission-------------

Legion World

“Good Lord,” said Nightcrawler shaking his head, “what an era we live in where an entire planet can be laid to waste…”

The rest of the small gathering of LMBers said little. The LMB was currently dispersed throughout the universe, and what was left on Legion World was dispersed throughout the planet. But here, a small gathering of whoever was around had begun, for people to weigh in with their emotions and thoughts. After all, the LMB had always been about friendship first.

“I pity you the most Numf,” said Kent Shakespeare to the Ghost of Numf-El, who was right beside him. The Ghost of Numf-El, usually flagrant, humorous and loud, was now quiet and saddened. Kent was equally somber, and finished, “you won’t be able to have a drink tonight in their honor. I’m sorry for that…” he finished, pouring a glass for Numf, so that the Ghost could do with it what he wished, knowing it would mean a great deal to him.

Weber’s World

“What simple creatures we all are…” said Fat Cramer, watching on somberly as various politicians reacted.

“Princess,” said Abin, “I haven’t been able to get ahold of Cobalt in the last few hours. He did make it out of there right? He said he did during our call recently?”

“He did,” said Crujectra, remembering her ‘chat’ with him not more than ten minutes earlier via their telepathic connection. She was thankful for that, and she knew he was alright via their soul-link. But she wished he was there with her now.

“I didn’t realize until right now,” said Yellow Kid, “just what the Dark Oval was capable of.”

“On a planet without a Spectre, or Reboot, or LMB in general,” added Outdoor Miner, “I’m sure that same reaction must be one hundred fold…”

Weber’s World, Dominus’ Holding Cell

“We’re going to have to alert him,” said Actor Lad to the guards, “but we need to do it easily. There’s no way to judge how this will affect him, since we don’t know for sure how religious he is. But his people are at war with the Dark Oval, and it’ll be important to gage his reaction so we have an idea of what the Hordes will do. Alert me when he wakes up.”

In the cell, Dominus slept peacefully, blissfully unaware for a moment, that he had failed and was a UP prisoner. Soon though he would awaken, and then would pray.

#109229 10/31/06 01:17 PM
M
Applicant
Applicant
M
Maxx the Sorcerer’s Workroom, Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza

[Bob the Cat]: As you know, magic users are able to manipulate mystic energy in order to achieve various effects. Most mages are only able to tap into ambient mystic energy, and channel that through the use of spells and incantations. A far fewer number of them are able to tap into leylines, which are a sort of other-dimensional rivers of power. Leylines are a much purer form of energy, and so can be used for far greater acts.

< Bob moved slowly along one wall of the workroom, pacing back and forth like a lecturer. Maxx almost felt as though he were back in school. Although this was the first teacher he had ever had that had to stand on his hind legs to reach his knees. >

[Bob the Cat]: When a mage bonds with a familiar, he is able to process the magical energy more quickly and in far greater amounts. We also can increase a leyline wizard’s range, allowing him to tap into leylines that are quite far away.

[Maxx the Sorcerer]: So, basically, you want me to try to pull my rabbit out of your butt.

< Although he wasn’t sure if it was possible, Maxx could almost swear that the cat scowled at him. >

[Bob the Cat]: I’d check your shoes before getting dressed tomorrow, mageling.

#109230 10/31/06 01:52 PM
Active
Active
Winath.

"Lardy, hon, it's okay..." Dru says, hands on her fiance's shoulders, "...it's not in any way your fault."

"Isn't it?" he answers, his hands to his face, his elbows propped up on a table, his head and shoulders slumped over. "Can you say without any doubt that my actions in the Dark Oval didn't lead to this--this genocide?"

"Honey, if it was in the equation at all, it was only an excuse for them to do something they probably would've done anyway."

"Maybe," he says, now sitting up straight, "if I weren't taking this extended retreat, I could've--"

"Done what?! Saved them?" she says, looking him in the eyes with fiery intensity. "You're still not up to full power, yet. Even if you were, could you have destroyed two dozen negation bombs? Are you precognitive? How would you have known to be there to protect them? Honey, this was a senseless, horrifying act of butchery--it is the gods-damned fault of those sprocking evil Hrykosians and Dominators, not yours!!"

She pauses for a moment as her fiance takes in what she's said and then her voice softens as she caresses his face softly with her hand. "Honey, please don't toss aside the peace we've found these past few weeks. We're in a different place now."

Caressing her hand with his own, he responds, "you're right, baby. I'm not going to throw that away. But we've got to get back to Legion World--now. I-I can't hide any longer."

"Yes, we need to do that, my love, with no further delay." She kisses him gently on the forehead, then prepares the incantation. He uses that moment to wipe his eyes. The next moment, the couple disappears in a puff of smoke.

#109231 11/02/06 11:44 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
The Barbarian Hordes

Caracalla sipped his ice water and soaked in the pleasure of its coldness on his cracked lips. He’d been giving sermons all day and he was growing tired. But things were moving swiftly now. And years and years of planning was reaching its crescendo.

Throughout all of the Barbarian Hordes, and far beyond those borders into the United Planets and Dark Oval, citizens prayed to Sol Invictus for the martyred Holy Land. And each prayer was funneled through him, giving him a charge that was beyond description. Now he only needed one more to do so.

Weber’s World

Dominus began to stir, finally waking up for the first time since the LMB had brought him in hours earlier. Suddenly, the memories of the battle began to come back to him and he lashed out in rage, hoping someone was close to him—but no one was. He’d been tricked and beaten by a handful of Legionnaires. A handful! When his army had been so victorious before. He should never have taken so small a contingent. That was a prideful mistake, and it cost him dearly. He knew better than that though. How could he have made that mistake? It almost felt like he’d been duped into that in the first place. Like he had lost control of his will.

Outside he could hear commotion and he knew the guards were aware he was awake and alerting their superiors. Fine. He’d have fun with them too.

He kneeled now, and began his morning prayer. Sol Invictus would get him out of this. Somehow he’d be free.

The Barbarian Hordes

Yes, thought Caracalla. He has come to me once more. And once more, the mighty Dominus, feared and reviled in countless galaxies, will be dominated by Caracalla’s will!

Caracalla focused his mind and allowed the far away sentients prayers to reach him. By offering up his utter devotion Dominus was giving access carte blanch to the High Priest. And so Caracalla reached in once more, as he had so many times, and the will of Caracalla forced Dominus’ hand.

Weber’s World

“He must be quiet,” said Actor Lad, rushing over to the cell, “I don’t hear a scream or yell or anything. I had him pegged as the type that likes to get loud when he’s confused or afraid.”

Actor Lad rushed over with the Weber’s World guards only to be halted by Outdoor Miner’s words, who had teleported in front of them instead of walking. “Quiet…” said Outdoor Miner softly. “…or dead. He’s stabbed himself in the chest with the metal box-spring of his bed.”

“What?” said Actor Lad rushing over. “Suicide? Without even a word to his captors?”

“Apparently the mighty Dominus has called it quits…” said one of the guards.

#109232 11/02/06 12:01 PM
M
Applicant
Applicant
M
Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza

< Maxx the Sorcerer moved quietly out of the bedroom, sealing the portal behind him. He walked solemnly out into the lounge. Bob the Cat sat quietly on a table near the windows, his head bowed slightly and his eyes closed. >

[Bob the Cat]: How is the princeling?

[Maxx the Sorcerer]: He's resting. The psychic deaths of the Black Sun Cartel hit him hard.

< Bob opened his eyes, turning to look at the mage. >

[Bob the Cat]: Genocide is a terrible thing, regardless of the provocation or the target. Slaughter on such a grand scale does something to the cosmos. The Universe cries out against such wanton destruction.

You know what you should do now?

[Maxx the Sorcerer]: Feed the cat?

< Bob chuckled a moment, then his expression became serious again. >

[Bob the Cat]: You're learning, mageling. However, what I was going to say is that we should take a break today. Go and be with your husband. Death is difficult for a telepath, and this most likely hit him harder than he is letting on. We can always resume our lessons tomorrow, when we're all in better shape.

< The cat turned back toward the window, and bowed his head once again. As Maxx walked back toward the bedroom, he stopped a moment to regard the cat. Perhaps there was more to this creature than met the eye. Maybe they could work together after all. >

#109233 11/03/06 11:24 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
LMB Headquarters

The Rockhoppers and the Super-Pets had arrived back just in time to hear the news about the Black Sun.

Upon hearing the news, Rockhopper Lass began weeping, her head in her hands.

Time Teller Lad looked at them puzzled. "I didn't know Pyngwyns were telepathic."

"We're not," Rockhopper Lad said, trying to comfort his "sister". "Adelie, I know this is horrific news. What can I do to help you?"

"Eudyptes. I'm not sure, but I think this has something to do with the time I was away."

Between the Worlds
Blaine Fey and the Evil Emperor Penguin looked on at what was transpiring.

"Those fools!" Eudyptes XXIX roared. "Don't they see what a gross display of force is going to do?"

"Still, my love," Blaine cooed, "All will be well for us. We will still be triumphant."

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#109234 11/06/06 01:37 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Kitson Park, Legionnopolis

< Maxx the Sorcerer and the Crusader walked along hand-in-hand, enjoying a break away from LMBP Plaza and the training sessions they’ve been enduring. Today they were just another young couple in love, walking along the pond that was situated in the center of the park. Children were playing nearby, and there were even some families enjoying a picnic on this warm autumn afternoon. >

< That, of course, was when the other shoes decided to drop. >

< Warned by a precognitive flash, the Crusader looked up at the sky. A transport shuttle was passing overhead, carrying its passengers across the city. Suddenly, there was an explosion, as one of the impulse nacelles burst apart, showering down debris as the shuttle lurched to one side, quickly losing altitude. >

< The young Legionnaires rocketed upward, formulating a plan through their telepathic rapport. It was risky, but in theory it should be attainable. >

< Maxx soared up beside the shuttle, his hands weaving in an intricate pattern as his voice rang out with an incantation. Sorcerous energy weaved out from his hands, snaking up to the broken nacelle bracing, which was leaking radioactive energy. As Maxx’s spell began to take effect, the radioactive fallout began to curb, trapped behind the spell. Confident that his containment field would hold, Maxx dropped back as the Crusader flew under the shuttle. Without stopping to question his ability, the young prince wrapped the falling shuttle in a huge telekinetic field, simultaneously bracing himself with a second field. With a surge of power, he began to slow the ship’s descent, straining to keep the dead weight from dropping down on the people in the park below. >

< Even as the crowd below began to heave a sigh of relief, they screamed once again as the other nacelle exploded, and wreckage again began dropping down. With the Crusader’s attention focused on the shuttle, Maxx moved to intercept the shrapnel. He figured his best option would be a transfiguration spell, but to affect all of the bits of shrapnel would be difficult. His spell burst forth, and suddenly the bits of twisted metal and wiring began to change, instantly becoming balloons and feathers. >

< One lone piece of metal got through, however, and as luck would have it the shard was falling straight toward the playground. Seconds before impact, however, a small black and white cat leaped out of the sandbox. He hissed at the piece of shrapnel, and suddenly the shard was deflected away as though bouncing off an invisible barrier. >

[Bob the Cat (to the children nearby)]: I wasn’t here, and you never saw me. (moving toward a nearby bush) Oh, and I would stay away from this end of that litter… I mean… sandbox. I’m just saying…

< The Crusader gently lowered the shuttle to the ground, panting from the effort. It wasn’t that long ago that he might not have been able to pull this off. He swayed a little when he landed, but Maxx was right there to support him. >

[Maxx the Sorcerer]: That was great, Mykel! You did great!

[The Crusader]: You too, Maxx. I kinda saw your transfiguration spell. Very spiffy.

[Maxx the Sorcerer]: Well, I have to admit that I did miss one piece, but luckily we had some unexpected backup. (The Crusader raised an eyebrow) It would seem that we had a fuzzy little stalker. Bob was following us, and seemed to have set up some kind of shield to deflect the piece that I missed.

[The Crusader]: I thought he could just channel energy?

[Maxx the Sorcerer]: I’m beginning to suspect that there’s more to Bob the Cat than meets the eye.

< Further discussion was put aside as the area was suddenly filled with Science Police and grateful bystanders. >

#109235 11/06/06 01:55 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
The Barbarian Hordes

“I speak to you now as a High Priest of the Black Sun. But I also speak to you as a human man, as a normal, living, breathing sentient. Equally and utterly appalled by the actions of the Dark Oval and the United Planets.” Caracalla paused briefly, allowing his audience to get comfortable so he could truly begin.

“My home. My friends, my brethren. Destroyed. All that is left is you, my children. All that is left for all of us is each other—and our beliefs. We must have faith in Sol Invictus, and we must have faith in each other. No longer can we be disunited and disjointed. No longer can we easily turn on each other! We are all the children of Sol Invictus! And we have real enemies. Let those non-believers, those that would easily murder and kill us, be the ones we turn a sharp sword to. We must no longer allow one of our brethren to harm another! That is not the way of the Black Sun. That is not what those six hundred billion holy citizens died for!

They have persecuted us! They are vile and villainous, and we must now make our stand against them. The Dark Oval had declared an act of religious war upon the believers of the Black Sun, and has murdered a number too large to comprehend. And the United Planets, who talk of peace and diplomacy, react by murdering the leader of the largest Black Sun-believing population in the universe! Murderers! Everywhere, they surround us.

All of us, each brother and sister among you, now share the same goals. You have common beliefs and a common faith in Sol Invictus. And you have common enemies—those that would destroy us all. They named and still name you as the ‘Barbarian Hordes!’. I say that is a false moniker and we will not accept it any longer! I would like to be a citizen of this great sector of space, with noble believers of the divine faith, but I will not allow you to be dehumanized as Barbarians any longer.

The ‘Barbarian Hordes’ are dead! In its place, now lives ‘The Khanate of Sol Invictus!’ A holy monarchy that will be a beacon of light in this dark universe! A home to our shared beliefs and a sanctuary to escape our enemies!”

All across the Barbarian Hordes now, the people cheered. The love they felt for this man was emotionally transcending. At last, they had something and someone to believe in.

“The process will not be easy. We are a confederation of states and we are on the cusp of war even now. But you must trust me my children and I will always be with you. And by my side will be the divine son of Sol Invictus. The holy war-bringer that was sent here to protect us with his immense might. In his dying words, Dominus named him as the heir to his throne, and I say he make for us a great fighting Khan! Elagabolus will stand with you as I do! And he will smite down any non-believer that ever threatens us again.”

And once more they cheered, their love for Elagabolus pouring out in waves.

It was at that moment that the process truly began. The Barbarian Hordes were truly no more. Out of their ashes, and the ashes of Helios Nocturnos and Dominus himself, rose a new world power the likes of which had never been seen. The Khanate of Sol Invictus. Whose belief in their faith was only outmatched in the faith in their right to wage brutal holy war.

#109236 11/07/06 01:51 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
The Morgue Room. Offices of The Legion World Herald.

Ace reporter Clark Marlowe personally examines the digital video he obtained during the Bat-Fem encounter with the vid-analyzing computer they keep in the morgue. He's still dressed in the tatters of his vagrant costume because he rushed here directly after the encounter. It's so late that even the cleaning droids have finished their shifts.

"Sprock! It's taking forever to clean up this frame where she's lost her mask! I only looked at her at that moment, so the lens-camera only caught her for less than a second...it's so blurry."

In frustration Marlowe rubs his eyes for a moment as if struggling with something.

"Alright--alright, Chloe'd probably do the same for a scoop in my situation, so..." From a jacket pocket Marlowe pulls a microdisc and examines it. "Chloe Lane's prized image-cleaning program...her own invention, the best such program I've ever seen. I sneaked a copy of it tonight. Sprock, if I use it and she finds out, I'll never have a chance with her...."

Dreams of them getting together, marrying, having kids, all that stuff, go through his mind. He's been secretly in love with her from the moment he first saw her--the way she attacks a story, those dark, lovely eyes and hair, that razor-sharp wit, the shape of those glasses--almost noone wears glasses anymore, especially not the ones that have those thingies on the sides that stay on by resting on your ears!

Gods, he loves her, but the Galactic Pulitzer? The ultimate achievement a reporter can have? He wonders what Chloe must have sacrificed to get hers....

At once, he inserts the disc into the vid-analyzer. He hopes his and Chloe's would-be children will forgive him if this nullifies their existence. The program works wonders and delivers a perfectly cleaned-up image of the still frame within a minute.

[Elsewhere, simeultaneously, Harold Wyandotte sees the image via his surveillance and immediately gasps. "[i]Her? How is this possible? I've got to take care of this at once!" He turns off his screen, dons his cloak and immediately heads out of his secret HQ.[/i]]

Marlowe studies the image of the raven-haired, dark-eyed woman. "My! She certainly is beautiful! But she doesn't match any of my suspects, dammit...hmmm...could still be Jada Konti or one of the other two with a portable holo-imager...but if so, why the mask? I wonder if publishing the picture will be enough to get me my Pul--"

Suddenly, something about her image strikes him.

"Y'know...she looks familiar somehow. Where have I seen that fa--?" Then his eyes widen. "No! No way! It can't be..."

Fighting the thought that has struck him in his mind, Marlowe nonetheless pulls up an image familiar to him. "If I remove Bat-Fem's flowing hair and replace it with this..."

Bat-Fem's hair is replaced with the second photo reference's dark hair worn up in a bun.

"...and put these on Bat-Fem..."

Marlowe cuts a pair of glasses off the second image and drags them over to Bat-Fem's face. Marlowe looks at the result and the complete original image, and his jaw drops. Involuntarily, he places his right hand over the agape mouth.

"Sprocking HELL! Bat-Fem is...Chloe Lane?"

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#109237 11/12/06 02:58 AM
Active
Active
Lard Lad's Penthouse Apartment. Legionnopolis.

Lard Lad and his fiancee Dru the Sorceress materialize in a puff of smoke, moments after they had left Winath.

"Well," Lardy says, looking around, "here we are...home, sweet home?"

"Of course we are, honey," replies Dru. "I feel like a shower--care to join me?"

"Of course, babe...go ahead and start it up, and I'll join you in a couple minutes. I want to browse the Security updates for a moment first, okay?"

"At it, already?" she says rolling her eyes. "Better hurry!" And she undresses quickly and strolls by him to make sure he knows what he would be missing.

He grins and watches her until she disappears from sight. Then he reaches out with his senses, searching for any signs of a familiar presence in the penthouse. "Hmmm...not here, right now. Probably for the best, given what Dru's got in mind!" Then he shifts his attention again and moves into his study. "Omnicom. Access most recent general Security files. Access code: Lard Lad-Delta-zero-nine-omega-twelve."

working. access granted.

His eyes skim the Security Office entries until they stop dead on one particular file. Lardy's jaw drops.

"NO!" he yells. And in the next instant he teleports himself away.

A moment later, Dru enters the study area, draped in a towel.

"Honey? Anthony? I thought I heard--?" She goes silent as she sees the omnicom. "Oh, no! Hugh has been murdered? Oh, my poor Lardy! I've got to--"

She goes silent again as she sees another item on the Omnicom. "Oh, Hells! Caracalla?" And she sits there for a long while reading everything she can on Caracalla and his activities with Black Sun.

Legion World Office of Security. Matlock's Office.

Lil'Matlock is stunned to see Lard Lad suddenly appear in his office. He's not so surprised, however, that he would forget to press a silent alarm on his desk near his knees.

"Matlock!" Lardy yells. "Is it true? Hugh's been murdered? And by Pru, of all people?"

"Yes," Lil' Matlock says calmly, "but it appears she was manipulated by someone..."

And at that cue, a dozen Security Officers enter Matlock's office, lead by Frio and Caliente.

"...someone who looks a lot like you, Lardy."

"What?" Lardy says with hurt and indignance in his voice. "What in the Hells is this about?"

"I told you, Lardy," Matlock replies. "Everything points to you being behind this, so we have to rule that possibility out. I don't personally believe you did it, but I have to make sure...both that you didn't and that you're you in the first place. If you're Lard Lad, then you will cooperate with the investigation as all Security Officers are required to do. Well?"

For a moment something within Lardy begs to be set free and to lash out at these idiots for this obscenity. But only for a moment. He's come a long way these past few weeks, after all.

"Okay, I submit to arrest," he says and holds his arms outward and together, "you may put dampening shackles on me if you wish."

"That won't be necessary, I think," replies Lil' Matlock. "Ladies, escort the Officer to Interrogation Room 3, please."

Silently, the guard detail heads out.

When they're all out of the room, Lil' Matlock activates his communicater. "Shady, it's Matty. Please meet me at IR3. Lardy is here!"

#109238 11/13/06 01:08 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
The Morgue Room. Offices of The Legion World Herald.

Clark Marlowe has sat in his chair staring at his discovery in stunned silence for what seems like an eternity. Finally, he puts words to some of the thoughts swimming through his brain. "Sprock! How can Chloe be Bat-Fem? Can I somehow be mistaken? Should I put this in the Herald? Gods...maybe I should confront her wi--!"

"Ahem."

Clark is so stunned by this intrusion that he falls out of his chair. Looking up, he sees: "Chloe?"

"Yeah, Kansas...it's me." (Chloe often addresses Clark as 'Kansas', mocking his small-town upbringing on Earth's only-remaining farm district.) "Nice picture there," she says, gesturing toward the holo-image Marlowe'd been studying. "Guess my IC program came in handy, huh?" Her dark eyes twinkle as she offers a sly grin.

Marlowe blushes for a moment, then takes the offensive, "you're her, aren't you, Chloe?"

"Yes, Kansas, I am."

"Well....why?"

"Why? Because Old Town needs someone to look out for them. The LMB is spread too thin lately. Old Town has become crime-ridden,and I knew I could make a difference, Kansas."

"But, Chloe, you're a reporter. How did you learn to fight like that?"

"I wasn't always a reporter, Kansas. In fact I wasn't always 'Chloe Lane'."

"What? You're not--?"

"Well, I am, but not before I created the identity for myself a couple of years ago."

"Then...who are you?"

She contemplates her answer for a moment, then says, "I think it's better that you don't know right now, Kansas. I've done nothing wrong, but if people on Legion World knew about me, they would definitely draw the wrong conclusion."

"People like...the LMB?" Marlowe presses.

"Quite possibly. Look, Kansas...Clark...please keep this out of the Herald, and don't publish this picture. It would mean big trouble for me--big trouble."

"What would you do in my situation, Chloe?"

She looks at him affectionately, smiles and says, "honestly, I'd probably hang you out to dry--but I'd feel really, REALLY bad about it! Seriously, Clark...I won't stand in your way if you publish this, but I hope you won't."

Marlowe turns to the holo, looks at it for a long, long moment---and deletes it.

Then he looks at the woman he's adored so much and takes her hand. He says to her, "Chloe, I'd do anything for you."

She looks at him with deep understanding and replies, "I know, Clark. I care about you, too." Then she releases her hand from his. "But I was married to someone I loved deeply. And recently, I discovered that I'm not a widow, as I'd thought for so long. So, basically, I'm still married."

"You're...married?"

"Yes, Clark," she says and looks him right in the eyes, "I am. So if you're burying the story to win me over, you know that's not going to happen. Do you want to change your mind?"

Without hesitation Marlowe replies, "no. The story stays here." And he points to his head. "You saved my life...and Old Town needs you. Even a world like this one can't have too many heroes, Chloe."

Despite herself, she tears up a little and kisses Marlowe on the cheek. "Thank you, Kansas."

Then she takes off her glasses, lets her jet- black hair down and pulls her blouse apart to reveal a large bat emblem.

"I've got to go find my husband."

Within moments Bat-fem is gliding out the window, her clothing tucked inside a pouch in her cape.

Marlowe stares out the window and waves. He feels that he is more in love with 'Chloe Lane' than ever.

#109239 11/13/06 04:15 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
The Khanate of Sol Invictus

Cobalt Kid and Jailbait Lass sat quietly on an asteroid, over-looking the vastness of space. Planets, stars, meteors and other assorted things were in their view.

“I still can’t believe it,” said Jailbait Lass. Cobalt said nothing, nor did his hip-hop robot sidekick S.H.A.G. “I mean, it doesn’t look any different now.”

“Oh, it is Lolita. Believe me, it is. I always feared this would happen, but never in the way it has. This is going to be a long, long saga and it will not be a good one. But at least right now, you can say you’re leaving the newly christened Khanate of Sol Invictus. You’re its first emigrant.”

“Wait a minute—just me? What about you? What are you talking about?”

“I’m staying,” he added, turning to her. “I have to. We can’t let a new enemy, no matter how many old ones it used to be, suddenly burst onto the scene. I need to learn more, come up with counter-plans. Besides,” he added with a smile, “you’ve already done for me what you came to do.” She looked at his face and she could see that she was right. He was completely healed. His healing power slowly but gradually been kicking in since the meeting back in the Dark Oval. He had finally allowed his guilt to go away and was no longer torn. He healed himself and now only one scar, shaped like an ‘x’, remained on his forehead.

“I’m glad you’re better,” she said. “You scared me. You scared all of us.”

“I know. Thank you. For everything. But I have to finish up here. It might be time for me to do some…’state-building’ of my own,” he smiled. She looked at him quizzically. “Never mind,” he added. “But I need to see Crujeckie. And Vee. And Matlock. And Lardy, definitely, to find out what that’s all about. So I won’t be long. I’m sure I’ll pop back up before your little story is over.”

“My little story?”

“Yes! What you came to see me about. World War VII and all that. You must realize this wasn’t it? It’ll take years now for a World War VII to happen. In a way, it’s almost been averted for a brief period of time. The Dark Oval and the Khanate of Sol Invictus will be at war, but it won’t be an all-out battle. Both will have to judge how strong the other is, while the UP is on the sidelines. Believe me, this will not be World War VII. Too many mega-political moves have been made and now there will be a period of consolidation. You’ll see.”

“But…but then what will?”

“That’s for you to figure out Jailbait Lass,” he said with a smile and accent of faux-authority. “But its safe to say that while the Dark Oval and Khanate of Sol Invictus will assuredly be a part of it, they will most likely be on the periphery. You can almost say you’ve weeded them out because now all their cards on the table. It’ll be up to me now to figure a plan on how to deal with them. A new threat has emerged for us to deal with, but unfortunately, I know now that it’ll be one that will be here for the long haul no matter what their immediate plans may be. Caracalla told us he’d make no more moves against the UP, and strange enough, I believe him right now, though I know one day that will change. You need to find out what else exactly you need to do now, if anything else needs to be done.”

“Where should I go then? Legion World? I figured we’d return.”

“I’ve gotten you a ride. And I see him approaching right now…”

They watched as a cruiser got closer. Upon closer look, it was actually red and had a convertible glass ceiling on it. Jailbait Lass smiled widely—she knew who this was. “OhmyGAWD Cobie,” said the voice, “could you *be* any farther away?” Lash Lad stepped out of the cruiser.

He and Cobalt greeted each other with a hug and pat on the back. They were two of the oldest friends in the LMB and close confidants of each other. For the next two or three hours they caught each other up on stuff and talked about a variety of things, most of which were not politics, war, LMB missions or other things. Finally, Lash Lad told Jailbait Lass to hop in. She turned to give him his trench-coat back, but he waved her off telling her to hold onto it. She smiled at his generosity.

“Willikers girl, you have *GOT* to fix yourself up in the back,” said Lash. “No offense, but you look awful! And that white streaky thing in your hair would be all sexy and stuff if you did your hair right.”

She smiled and went into the back, as the cruiser drove off. She could see Cobalt waving and turning and she mouthed ‘bye’ to him. It was probably the most personal few weeks she’d ever spent with him. Little did she realize that because of her, intergalactic war had been averted. She meant to move the jacket off when it suddenly hit her! She reached in, and searched the pockets, and quickly found it. The prophecy, written on the paper that Cobalt had hid in the canister! How could she have forgotten? She smiled. Of course, she forgot the other thing she’d been carrying. The mushroom! Dr. Mayavale had given it to her weeks ago, and she completely forgot about it until now. She even had Dedman’s mushroom too that he unfortunately couldn’t keep once he was killed by Madrox. Her mystery wasn’t over yet after all. She opened up the prophecy and saw a note on it:

J – Let the intergalactic politics exit stage left, while your mystery goes forward. Remember that sometimes where you start is where you finish. Oh, and have a good ‘trip’. – Cobie

Smiling, she folded the prophecy back up. “Have a good trip?” she said, wondering what that meant. She went to put away the mushroom, when it suddenly dawned on her…

#109240 11/14/06 01:48 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Sub-basement of Swan Hall, LMBP Plaza

< Bob the Cat moved quietly along, not so much stealthily as just basically cat-like. Few people even knew this sub-basement existed, let along how to bypass the intricate security arrays that guarded it. Oddly enough, though, Bob moved through the security checkpoints as though he didn’t exist. When he approached, cameras suddenly pointed away. Laser grids flickered off just long enough for him to pass through them undetected. >

< Was it magic? Maybe. Most likely it had to do with his being a cat. Laws that applied to other sentients didn’t seem to apply to cats. >

< He stopped before a large metal door. It appeared that to open it, one must place their hand upon a palm plate located about five feet off the floor, just to the right of the door. Sitting down before the door, Bob slowly looked down at his palm, and then up at the palm plate. >

[Bob the Cat]: Yeah, right.

< Bob placed his paw against the door, and suddenly the door swung inward. Bob then moved casually through the entryway and into what appeared to be a small garage. The room was empty except for one thing: a sleek personal cruiser, cobalt blue in color, with lightning bolts painted along the sides. Tilting his head in interest, Bob moved across the room to stop before the small ship. >

[Fred, the Cobalt Cruiser]: Warning! This is a restricted area. Unauthorized personnel are not allowed.

[Bob the Cat]: Yeah, yeah, don’t get your pistons in a bunch. I’m just looking.

[Fred, the Cobalt Cruiser]: But… you aren’t supposed to be here.

[Bob the Cat]: Don’t sweat it, Herbie. I’m a cat. We kinda make our own rules.

[Fred, the Cobalt Cruiser]: Oh… I wasn’t aware of that. Ummm… how can I help you?

[Bob the Cat]: Well, you could start by opening up. My paws are killing me, and I’m betting you have nice upholstery.

[Fred, the Cobalt Cruiser]: I really don’t know… I don’t believe that I’m supposed to do that…

[Bob the Cat]: It’ll be fine, bub. You can trust me. I’m a cat.

[Fred, the Cobalt Cruiser]: So you said…

< Silently, the cockpit canopy slid back, and with a graceful leap Bob jumped in behind the wheel. His eyes moved slowly across the control panels. He began to purr softly. Suddenly, the stereo system came to life, filling the garage with music. >

[Bob the Cat]: Sweet.

[Fred, the Cobalt Cruiser]: You really shouldn’t be playing with that. Mister Cobalt hates when people play with his presets…

[Bob the Cat]: Herbie, you worry way too much.

< Suddenly, Bob’s paws beat across the control panels. The canopy slid shut over the cockpit and the twin engines roared to life. Fred the Cobalt Cruiser lurched forward, rocketing down the access tunnel leading to the outside. A loud “meow” echoed in the tube as the cruiser shot out of sight… >

#109241 11/15/06 01:15 AM
Active
Active
Lard Lad's Penthouse Apartment. Legionnopolis.

Dru sits in front of her Omnicom and contemplates whether she should actually send the message she's prepared.

"It's a bold move," she says, "and I might fall flat on my face. But...knowing Caracalla the way I do, the LMB are really going to need me in the inevitable conflicts that lie ahead. If nothing else, win, lose or disqualified, maybe they will acknowledge me and be more willing to listen to me if I demonstrate my sincere interest in their politics and best interests."

She hesitates for a moment, then a look of determination steels her Omnicom-lit gaze.

"Omnicom. Send message to addressee 'Election Tyrant'."

acknowledged. sent.

"Well, for better or worse, I've opened Pandora's box! Now, I've got to find my fiance!"

And Dru disappears in a puff of smoke.

The message she sent still shows on her Omnicom screen:

Citizens of Legion World, I have decided to run for LMB Leader, even though I'm currently neither a citizen of this world, nor an actual LMBer. I don't know if that automatically disqualifies me, but I sincerely want to demonstrate my commitment to be there for this great civilization I've made my new home.

I was once a scourge to the LMB, but I have truly changed my ways. I hope you will all allow me to demonstrate this to you.

#109242 11/17/06 09:31 PM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
BISMOLL

Antacid lass stood before the Mater-eater Lad Tribute Statue in Pepto Square. She stared up at it with tears in her eyes. She had missed her chance to meet with her heros, the LMB. She really thought she had a chance to join thier ranks this time. And she no longer had enough money to pay for passage to Legionworld. Suddenly there was a tap on her shoulder.

"Hi there Antacid Lass!!"
"Do I know you?" Standing behind her were three stangely clad people. The first was a young lady of about 18 dresses in red and black leather with *#$@!^%!! emblazioned across her chest. The second was an older girl of about her own age in a irredesant green costume with a cloud on the front. The third was a somewhat overweight man, dressed in a flesh coloured bodysuit with a mustache on the front.
"No, but we know you....you tried to join the LMB and didn't make it, you want to try again. Well we want to go to"
"who are you guys?"
"Well I'm 'Geez Louise'....My superpower is that noone can swear in my presence" said the woman in red and black.
The lady in green said "and I'm Gas Lass. I'm from here on Bismoll. Everything I eat is converted into poisionious gas."
"any relation to polar boy boy? smirked Antacid Lass
"Ha Ha, very funny"
The man in the body suit spoke up. "And I'm 'Ron Jeremy's Mustache'. Its best I don't reveal my power right now as it is a superduper secret weapon"
"thats all well and good" said Antacid Lass "but I have no way of getting to Legionworld"
"Don't worry about that. We'll provide the way there, you just introduce us to the right people. Are you in?"
"Well......OK you can count on me"

With that the four set of to the Spaceport.

#109243 11/20/06 01:30 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Rockhopper's Rookery

Exhausted from a grueling day, the Rockhoppers and the Super-Pets took the shuttle back to the Rookery. Unlike the previous night, Rockhopper Lass had no trouble getting to sleep.

The Pyngwyn Princess soon began to dream. In her dream, she saw Eudyptes, only it wasn't the Eudyptes who had taken so much time and energy in trying to help her regain her memory. This was a different Eudyptes. One she knew. This was her brother.

He was with a human male and they were looking at something, but she couldn't make it out.

Down the hall, Rockhopper Lad was reading all he could about amnesia in Pyngwyns. Hyvvie the Wonder Beagle was nearby, so he came up to his master and turned his tummy up for him to rub.

"Not now, Hyvvie," Rockhopper Lad said, giving his faithful dog a pat. "I think I may have found something. Whatever caused Adelie's amnesia, it was supernatural. There is no recorded case of a Pyngwyn having amnesia this complete.

Between the Worlds
Blaine Fey regarded Evil Emperor Penguin. They may have been from different universes, but they complemented each other so well. His own reality-warping abilities and the arcane magic that his Pyngwyn partner had mastered combined into a potent combination. They had taken the memories of Rockhopper Lass and they had convinced others that they were in partnership with them.

The Emperor's magical abilities weren't common to his race. He had learned them, building on his inborn ice powers--something his doppelganger Rockhopper Lad had not done.

The Emperor smiled at Blaine. "My double. He thinks he can save Adelie. He is so weak. He will not be a threat."

Blaine looked past the Emperor and said, "As you say, my dear."

The Rookery
Rockhopper Lass awoke screaming. This time, her "brother" was awake himself and came running. "Adelie, what's wrong?"

"They're watching us!"

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#109244 11/20/06 01:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza

< Princess Crujectra walked wearily down the main corridor in the penthouse level of the dormitory. She had just arrived home after her deep space diplomatic mission, and the only thing she wanted now was a bath and sleep. However, she knew that both would have to wait, for she could sense thoughts in her suite. She raised a hand to place against the palm plate scanner next to the door, but suddenly the door slid open and she was quickly embraced. >

[The Crusader]: Welcome home, sis!

[Spellbinder]: Gently, brother dear. I’m feeling a little fragile at the moment, and I don’t really feel like falling over.

< Maxx moved out into the corridor to retrieve the Princess’ bags. >

[Maxx the Sorcerer]: Sorry, Crujeckie. We’ve just missed you.

< The trio moved into the apartment. They entered the lounge, and there, seated in the middle of Crujectra’s favorite chair, was Bob. He looked, if possible, rather annoyed.

[Bob the Cat]: Well, well, well… Look who decided to make an appearance. Finally.

[Maxx the Sorcerer]: Errr… Crujectra, you haven’t officially met my new familiar, Bob the Cat. Bob, this is Her Royal Highness, Princess Crujectra.

[Spellbinder]: <one eyebrow raised> Well, you’re certainly not what I expected. From the stories I’ve been getting from the boys, I expected you to be ten feet tall.

[Bob the Cat]: From the dents I found in your mattress, I expected you…

[The Crusader]: <shocked> Bob!

[Bob the Cat]: Spoilsport. In any case, I was expecting you to return to Legion World much sooner than this. Perhaps you were underestimating the importance of the message I sent you regarding your powers?

[Spellbinder]: Not at all. I simply had more pressing matters to attend to.

[Bob the Cat]: I think you need to learn that when I say something, I expect you to listen.

[Spellbinder]: I think you need to get over yourself, hairball. I’m a busy woman, and I make my own priorities.

[Bob the Cat]: <eyes narrowing> Believe me, there is nothing going on at the moment that is more important than what I have to teach you.

[Spellbinder]: I have every intention of paying close attention to what you have to teach. However, I am not your “beck and call” girl, so you’re going to have to wait your turn.

< Bob the Cat remained quiet while he regarded the young princess before him. She was definitely going to prove challenging, but he enjoyed a good challenge. He quite deliberately focused his eyes on her ample cleavage. >

[Bob the Cat]: While I’m waiting my turn, perhaps someone could feed the cat?

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#109245 11/20/06 09:17 PM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
Legionworld, Spaceport

A signal light started to flash on the control panel...."This is Legionworld spaceport control, please Identify yourselves"

Antacid Lass - This is Antacid Lass from Bismoll, being accompanied by Gas Lass, Geez Loiuse and Ron Jeremy's Moustache.

Spaceport Control - Antacid Lass!!! Welcome back to Legionworld.

Antacid Lass - You Remember me?

Spaceport Control - Its our business to remember everyone.....please prceed to Spacedock 420.

In the rear of the cruiser, Antacid Lass' three companions were huddled togther.

Ron Jeremy's Moustache (whispering) - See I told you she could get us on world.

Geez Louise (whispering) - You were right, now to see if we can carry out the rest of our plan!!!

#109246 11/27/06 08:35 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Greg Evignan Island

"I can't believe we've been waiting all this time? When are we going to attack?"

"Oh sorry, I've been distracted"

"By what?"

"Too complicated to get into here ... alright, gather round my siblings! When I give the signal, storm the walls. Kill everyone you find, but save SharkLad for me!"

"That's it?!? We waited weeks and weeks for that?"

"Give me a break, alright ... so now, ATTACK!"

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...
#109247 11/28/06 03:08 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Old Town. Wyandotte's Secret HQ.

The enigmatic man known as Harold Ryan Wyandotte returns after having taken a long walk. The walk helped him clear his head greatly after his initial shock at learning Bat-Fem's true identity.

"Hmmm..." he thinks aloud as he removes his cloak, "...I almost acted rashly after learning what I did. I must remember that every move I make must be thought out fully, lest I compromise my whole plan! But cooler heads prevail, and I know now what I must do..."

He pulls up the image of Bat-Fem unmasked and then casually hacks into a particular database.

"Hmmm...that seems a rather boring headline for the Inquisitor--all that election hogwash! What if they, instead, feature the scoop of the year?"

Methodically, he moves the image of Bat-Fem to replace the montage of leadership candidates. He pauses a moment, thinking of the perfect headline.

"Oh, let's not spell it out for them...the ones who need to know will get it!"

The new headline reads: "Bat-Fem Unmasked! Who is she?"

"Yes, yes...that should suffice! This will take care of two problems I have with one blow. Bat-Fem will face the wrath of the LMB, thereby eliminating her threat to me...and, at the same time, it will draw out my scarred, unstable ally! The time is nigh to rid myself of that self-proclaimed 'Lard Lord'---he's definitely outlived his usefulness!"

"It's always particularly gratifying to manipulate the LMB into doing my work for me! HA-HA-HAAAA!"

He completes the article and sends it into the Inquisitor's database. But the unnerving, maniacal laughter continues for quite some time.....

#109248 11/29/06 03:11 AM
Active
Active
Legion World's Office of Security

Dru the Sorceress appears in a puff of smoke in the Office Building's lobby area.

"Where is he? Someone take me to my fiance, now!!"

Lil' Matlock responds as he enters the area carried by PolarBoy. "Easy, Dru...Shady's talking to him in another part of the building."

"Talking?" she says with sarcasm. "Don't you mean interrogating him? I won't stand for that! Anthony was with me the whole time--there's no way he could have killed Hugh! And he loved him like a brother! I--"

"Dru," Lil' Matlock interrupts speaking reasonably, "we don't think Lardy killed him, but whoever coerced Hummer Lass to do it, looks just like him! We're absolutely obligated to rule him out as a suspect...we're just following procedure. And maybe he can help us figure out who's impersonating him. We're on his side, and if you know anything about Shady, then you can count on her to do right by Lardy!"

"Okay, Matlock," Dru replies calmly, "we'll play it your way, if only to clear my fiance's name. But I want to see him within the hour."

"Done!"

Interrogation Room Three

Their eyes closed, Lard Lad and Shadowplay exchange their thoughts, as they have been doing for nearly three hours. Lard Lad normally guards his thoughts fiercely, but he's known this woman a long time and trusts her completely. At Shady's insistence, this session is completely private and will only be shared with the senior officers through her firsthand account.

Through Candace's thoughts, Lard Lad learns all about the investigation into Hugh's death, and, most painfully, relives Hugh's final days through the memories passed from Hugh to Dedman to Candace.

Exploring Lard Lad's thoughts, Candace gets more than she bargained for. Beyond confirming his innocence in Hugh's murder, she unwittingly unleashes a floodgate within him of anger and pain. In the process she discovers recent darkness he went through, mostly centering around a woman she is very familiar with: Mordra the Harlot. When Candace reaches the memory he guarded most fiercely in his mind, she is taken aback so much that she has to break the mindlink.

"Ohhhhhh," she manages and faints as the link is severed. Lard Lad braces her before she can hit the floor.

"Gods!" he says. "Shady, are you alright?"

"Y-yes, sweetie," she says, regaining her wits. "What I saw in your mind...overwhelmed me."

"I'm...I'm okay, Shady. I'm past all of that."

"How...how can you say that, Anthony? All you went through...and what you did?"

"I've got Dru, Shady. She and I are working through our issues...together."

"But, Anthony...I couldn't have accessed all of those memories if you hadn't let me." Sweetie...it's a cry for help!"

His jaw quivering, Lard Lad says, "I guess I wanted someone to know. I mean, Dru and Des know pretty much everything, but-but it's not the same as this. It's kinda like, I dunno..."

"...giving your confession to a priest?" she offers.

"Yeah, kinda like that. I've had to lie a lot lately, and it makes me feel like shit, y'know?"

"You, realize, sweetie, that I can't absolve you of your sins, right?"

"Yeah, Shady, I know. But...are you going to tell them about all of this and about what I did to end the Invasion?"

"No, sweetie, it's irrelevant to the case. While I can't offer absolution, I will keep your confidence. I only hope you'll seek therapy for your troubled mind. While you've made some progress with Dru, you are also dependent on her to some degree. True mental wellness should be built from within, not without."

"I will get more help, Shady. I promise!"

The two share a tight embrace until Lard Lad's eyes suddenly widen, and he breaks it.

"Shady!" he exclaims. "Those men from Hugh's memories--I know who both of them are!"

#109249 11/30/06 12:43 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
United Planets Space, en route to Legion World

“GAWD—this flight is taking forever!” said Lash Lad, throwing aside his calendar of hot comic book creators from the 21st Century.

Jailbait Lass said nothing and looked out across the stars. She was a little unsure of what to do these last few days and what to do once she got to Legion World.

“Oh come on,” said Lash Lad. “Unsure of what to do? You know what you’re supposed to do so just do it already.”

Jailbait Lass looked at him quizzically. It was like he could hear her thoughts or something.

“I can’t hear your thoughts if that’s what your wondering. Cobie told me all about what needs to be done,” he smiled, seeing her surprise. “Weeeell, I have known him longer than most. And besides, you know his fears of hallucinogenic after that incident with Dr. Hoffman, and you also know my love, er, scientific study, of them.” She smiled a little. “Come on now Jailbait Lass,” he continued, “he trusts you implicitly on this mission. So the question is: are you going to remain this shy, introverted behind the scenes LMB ally, or are you going to step up and get involved?”

She wiped the curly hair in front of her face back behind her ears, a smile coming out. “I guess when you put it like that…,” she said, pulling out both the prophecy and Dr. Mayavale’s two mushrooms. “Mushroom?” she asked Lash, handing it to him.

He giggled. “This is like doing drugs when I was a wee-teen!”

She hesitated. “You know,” she said, “I’m not sure what will happen here. Are you supposed to see things? What if I see things I don’t want to?”

“You have no control over that no matter what high you’re on,” said Lash. “But hopefully this will let your mind expand a little and understand those words with fresh eyes. And maybe you’ll see something you don’t want to and understand what it truly is for once.”

She held the mushroom in front of her. “Fine,” she said at last, “let’s do this.” She put the mushroom in her mouth, (which incidentally tasted horrific) and began to chew.

“Bottoms up!” said Lash Lad, throwing back the hallucinogenic substance. Finally the two stopped chewing. “Heh,” said Lash, “…crazy Dr. Mayavale. I’ll be with you now Jailbait Lass, at least til I start zoning out and going on my own path. After all, I’ll probably end up existing outside of continuity or something…”

Jailbait Lass had no idea what Lash meant, but was a little annoyed at effects of the mushroom. There were no immediate ones. She began to look at the prophecy, the 52 steps that would lead to World War VII, which would cause horrific genocide, war, famine and the eventual subjugation of most of the universe. They were all out of order, and most were just odd references to things that were too abstract to make any sense. Some she understood now: “Rise of the Khanate of Sol Invictus.” Yes, that had happened. “Legion World at war with Dark Oval,” yes, that also had happened during the Invasion. “Reality broken, Hypertime chugging fix-up, restoration of enemies and friends”…that she wasn’t so sure of, but it seemed awfully similar to the Infinite Crisis two year earlier. The restoration of enemies and friends she wasn’t too sure about. “Reboot in the Anomaly”…no clue. “Conspirators among conspirators.” “The watch isn’t fixed yet.” “The Tailors are of a Higher People.” “The fiery promises of Elagabolus.” “Legion World is missing?” “Death of our leader.” “Tears fill our rivers.” “The music of Kent Shakespaere.”

It was all too much…she was having trouble taking it in. The words seemed to be leaping out at her. She wanted to turn away and throw up, but could not stop looking at the prophecy. The words now began to slide off the page, in a slow trickle, like water sliding down a leaf. The black ink had a glow about it, and inside it, she swore she could see a divine presence.

No. That was the mushroom. Or was it? She turned to Lash Lad finally, knowing he too was in the full throws of his hallucination. But all she saw was light coming out at her, in a beautiful rainbow. At last she could make out the shape of his hands and face, and he was smiling widely and she thought for a second his fingers and hands were a keyboard. “What we create, can be changed and altered,” he said with a smile, “but not un-created. We can explore endlessly the continuities and retcon out retcons with new retcons. I can eat it all. Hah! Retcon-Eater Lad!”

She turned away, now very sweaty all of a sudden. She felt embarrassed…suddenly she felt very horny, something that was a little unusual for her when in front of others. She was too shy for that sort of behavior, no matter how much Cobalt Kid tried to bring it out of her. She felt hot and wanted to lie down, but the ink from the prophecy had now latched on to her and she felt as if she was a living Rorschach. She was part of the story after all, and now she could change it. Stop, she thought, and was angry that the ink did not form quotation marks around her thoughts. “Stop”, she said out loud now, and it did.

“Some of these things have happened and some are very far into the future,” she said aloud to herself. “But some are happening now, and can be stopped. The future can be altered of course,” she said, her analytical mind thinking again, “which is why Time Boy cannot go so far ahead at times…most likely because it is in the process of being altered by someone or something. Probably the LMB itself, constantly changing the time-stream or continuity stream, or whatever Lash Lad is having for dessert.”

“Something else else is happening on Legion World…” she said aloud, seeing ‘conspirators among conspirators’. “Caracalla did not know about Black Sun activity when we have a report that there is Black Sun activity on Legion World. Ergo, the Black Sun activity on Legion World is being directed by other malcontents with other malcontentions.” In the throws of her trip, she suddenly felt fiery pride at the making of her new word, another emotion she preferred not to be so obvious in public. “Something else else that ties the Crisis to the Invasion…some sort of rip in the universal frabric…” The prophecy sat beside her now, an inky form of Everyday Girl. It spoke:

“Ohmygod! ‘Lita, you have to get past the obvious! See?” and Everyday Girl’s inky torso formed the words ‘the watch isn’t fixed yet’.

“The universe isn’t fixed yet?” said Lolita. “Something else else is off…enemies and friend restored, so perhaps one enemy has been restored that should not? But…it can’t be the Anti-Moderator…”

“Oh please,” said Lash Lad, “not that tired old plot. Its been done to death,” he said with a sigh, “the LMB needs to get over the reboots and crisis and all that stuff and find a new allegory to fight it. I mean jeez, some goofy moderator as the linchpin for all the bad things DC did over the years?”

Lolita turned away, as to look at Lash now was to look at a beautiful but horrifying sight, a many headed hydra of keyboard keys, comic books, life experiences with a torso of complete humor and understanding.

“Then who?!” she shouted at the ink, who suddenly turned into Space Ranger. (The Real One) she thought to her self.

“Stop shouting,” said Space Ink-Ranger, adding in a grumble, “its someone in that power range obviously, sentient. Ekron and the Time Mouse Trapper, while viable candidates because of their connection to the overall themes here, just don’t fit. So that leaves one option, which only someone completely involved in the data of the LMB could ever guess…”

“You’re right!” she said.

“Of course! Truth and Justice Prevail!” Space Ranger now melted down and began crawling back to the paper. The words began to form again.

Jailbait Lass suddenly throw Cobalt Kid’s trench coat on her, as she became very cold. “So conspirators on Legion World covering a variety of bases, an enemy attempting to punch its way back into the universe. How though?” The ink suddenly formed “52”. “Yes, of course! 52 points of the universe that when punched will allow the universe to collapse. The watched isn’t fixed yet. Hm…there are no coincidences. 52 conspirators on Legion World, I’d wager…” She smiled now, her pretty hazel eyes turning away from the prophecy, and looking out into space. “The mushroom must be wearing off. I’ve pieced together some of this prophecy, but I realize now that its not worth doing the rest. Why bother figuring out years and years of potential steps to destruction, if it’ll just end up being a hindrance to the ever-expanding creativity of the LMB? To move forward would be to destroy Lash Lad and others, and he would no longer be the light that I see him has. A horrible price to pay for Time Boy to be able to appear in our future, cementing it down as cannon. No…I will do this one act and then destroy the prophecy, and random acts of violent creativity will be rampant once more.” She breathed deep. “I’m ready for this trip to end now.”

“I’m sorry then, Lolita,” said a very seductive and very wry voice. “But you’ve forgotten your own story,” he continued and at once Lolita could fear the tear-ducts in her eyes begin to well up. “Please turn around and look at me. You know you’ve missed me.” She began to tremble and began trying to call out for Lash to help her. But it was to no avail, as her mouth became dry and she could no longer form words. She turned at last and saw him, and he was grinning, as he always did. “Come now Lolita, choose. Choose life, or choose death,” he said with a grin, and at once Jailbait Lass came face to face once more with the Red Bee.

#109250 11/30/06 01:04 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
“What’s a matter little one?” smiled the Red Bee, “cat got your tongue?” At once she saw him and she felt the burning hatred in her once more that made her sadder than anything else in the world. And she felt the fear. Pure, utter, unending fear. She trembled, unable to speak, unable to breath, and unable to look away. He grinned, and she saw that he was still very handsome, still very heroic looking, and thus still very exotic. She hated him.

He stepped forward as tears rolled down her cheeks, and he wiped them away. “Please, you missed me. Don’t deny it…” he said, putting his hands on her face. They were soft and comforting. But she knew what they could do—and of course, they burnt her badly, flaying the skin to a boil, and she knew in her heart she deserved the pain for being such a coward and not fighting back.

“Do you hate me, Lolita?” he asked.

“Yes,” she finally spoke.

“Liar,” he said. And she remembered. It was called ‘The Good, the Dark and the Dead’ and was a tragic LMB Saga that brought great pain. One important aspect of it was this: The Red Bee finally revealed himself to be the LMB traitor, having been among them for ten months. He shot Eryk Davis Ester and Cobalt Kid in the back, and kidnapped her. She thought she knew fear then. She was wrong. Slowly and cruelly, he buried her alive, deep beneath the Earth in a coffin. As she was suffocating she prayed for death and cried at her own cowardice.

And she remembered more. It was called ‘LMB: Infinite Crisis’. The Red Bee had broken out, and to prove that Legion World wasn’t safe while the LMB battled cosmic, reality-altering villains, he locked her in a refrigerator. Finally, Space Ranger freed her and saved her—only to be murdered before her eyes by the Red Bee and the Riddler. She felt the shame once more. How she hated this man. How hated him!!!.

He looked at her with his evil grin and smiled again. “Are you afraid?” he said.

She said nothing.

“ARE YOU AFRAID!!!” he yelled, slapping her across the face.

“Y-Yes!!” she said back with a scream. “I hate you!” she screamed.

“No,” he added, “you must learn to love me. If you are going to do this, if you are going to save Legion World, you must learn to love me.”

“Never!” she screamed, attacking him with her fists, pounding at his chest. “Never! I hate you! You bastard! You could you?! How could you do it?!” she said, as tears poured out of her cheeks and she swung away, trying to kill him with her hands. Never had she been so hysterical in her life, never had she felt so much shame. Never had she thought so clearly! And it was then, that in thinking of the very thought that she was thinking very clearly, did she think it would be now that an epiphany should occur. And it did: “Aren’t I hallucinating after all?” she said to the Red Bee.

“You are.”

“And then you are…?”

“You know already,” said the Red Bee. “And you need to love me if you’re going to save the LMB.”

She began to cry harder. “No…no, I can’t. I can’t…I’m so sorry…I failed…”

“You must,” said the Red Bee, putting his arm on her shoulder. “You must.”

“Alright,” she said at once. Looking into his eyes, she leaned forward and understood, and she kissed him for a long time. And she knew she was loving herself. The Red Bee became Invisible Brainiac. Then Cobalt Kid. Then finally, she was kissing herself and hugging herself.

All of the shame, all of the embarrassment for fearing such fear, for being a coward, for inadvenertantly causing Space Ranger’s death…she hated herself so much…she hugged herself and the world grew misty, her hot tears fogging up the cold air of the cruiser, and she began to cry softly now. Not the tears of anger or hate, or fear or sadness, but the tears of finality, or completion. Of progress.

“Omnia mutantur nos et mutamur in illis,” she said at last to herself, “yes, I know. People must grow and must adapt and I’m ready now.” Reality began to fade back, and she saw the outline of Lash once more. She turned and began to see the inside of the cruiser again, and she looked around. At last she caught her reflection in a window, a sweaty, tired mess in Cobalt’s trench coat, her hair matted with sweat. But she smiled, and she wiped away the last remants of tears. Looking at herself she breathed deeply. “I forgive you,” she said. “And I love you.”

She slept in Lash Lad’s arms that night as he piloted toward Legion World and he smiled, the whole way. She had not slept that well since she was a little girl. Now she could get the rest she needed at last to help save Legion World and the LMB.

#109251 11/30/06 03:28 PM
Active
Active
Legion World's Office of Security. Lobby area outside interogation rooms.

Lil' Matlock, Dedman, Abin Quank and Polar Boy are huddled together looking at something. Dru stares anxiously, her gaze alternating between the hallway leading toward the interrogation rooms and the clock. The hour that Matlock promised her when she will be able to see her fiance is almost up.

"You think the picture is real?" PolarBoy says.

"I dunno," Dedman replies, "I mean, it is Legion World's very own gossip rag...it's probably a fake, though."

Abin adds, "she sure looks familiar, though. Where've I seen that face before?"

Suddenly, Shady and Lard Lad rush in from the hallway. In their surprise the Security Officers drop their copy of the Inquirer, and the old-fashioned, faux-paper tabloid falls to the floor face up.

"Oh, baby, are you alright?" Dru cries with relief and throws herself into her fiance's arms.

"I'm okay, Dru. Candace has cleared me."

"She has?" Lil' Matlock says, his eyes on Shady.

"Yes," Shady answers, "and Lardy says he knows who those two men are! He insisted on coming out and telling us all together!"

"Well," Abin prompts Lard Lad impatiently. Abin has had little patience for him since that whole Invasion mess started.

Lard Lad explains, "It took me awhile to process the images Shady showed me from Hugh's memories, but---" He stops as his eyes notice the tabloid on the ground.

Silently, he walks over and snatches it up. Shady feels a strong psychic backlash as his eyes glaze over with a fierce anger that takes everyone in the room aback. Then wordlessly, he disappears with a pop of Lardforce. The copy of the Inquisitor floats silently back to the floor in his wake.

"What the hell?" PolarBoy says. "He was supposed to tell us who the bad guys are!"

"Let me see that tabloid!" Dru demands, beside herself with worry and confusion.

But before anyone can oblige her, she casts a simple spell that makes it fly to her hands. She takes one look at it and drops it.

"Great Mordru!" she screams. "My sister Mordra...she's alive! How?!? I'll make sure she stays dead this time!"

Then Dru disappears in a fiery red puff of smoke.

Abin looks picks up the tabloid and examines it again. "Yep!" he says grinning. "Thought she looked familiar!"

#109252 11/30/06 08:59 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Old Town. A rooftop.

Bat-Fem's Mission Log: I'm currently staking out this old, supposedly-abandoned building. My sources and my own investigations finger this place as the possible HQ for the mysterious crimelord known as Harold Ryan Wyandotte. I've been dogging his operations for months, learning bits and pieces along the way. I hope this isn't another dead end. Moreso, I hope it takes my mind off my husband...

Crouching and looking through her visi-hancers, Bat-Fem is startled by a faint pop coming from behind her. Batarang in hand, she spins around and is startled to see...

"Anthony?"

"How dare you call me that, you bitch!" Lard Lad yells. "I don't know how you're alive and what you feel you can gain posing as some vigilante, but I'm not giving you a chanced to hurt my friends and loved ones again, Mordra!"

Sprock! she thinks. It's Lard Lad! But how does he---?

As if he's reading her mind Lard Lad says, "I never would have suspected, but when I saw the picture of you unmasked in the Inquisitor..."

Sprock! her mind races. Did Marlowe--?

"...it was easy enough to detect your aura, especially when I knew to start looking in Old Town! You must've gone through some effort to mask it from me, but your aura's still recognizable! But enough talk..."

And purple energy crackles out of his hands as he fires a salvo of deadly Lardforce energy at her. But Bat-Fem jumps off the ledge and fires her grappling cable to latch onto the adjacent building, even as the force of the blast pulverizes theledge behind her. Her momentum carries her though a window in that building. (Luckily her boots are sonically-enhanced to break through them because 31st century windows are very strong!)

Before she can even get her bearings, Lard Lad 'ports in front of her.

"Nice one, Mordra," he taunts, "you've developed skills beyond seduction and manipulation since we last met! It won't save you, though!" And his fists begin to crackle with the purple energy.

"Wait, Lard Lad! I don't want to hurt you!" she cries.

"As if you could anymore!" he sneers as another deadly blast fires at her.

She barely avoids the blast with a rolling flip to her right.

"Please listen, Lard Lad! I'm not the woman who brought all that horror into your life! I'm not from--!"

"Lies!" he interrupts. "You're trying to manipulate me as you do all the men you come into contact with! I sometimes felt regret about killing you,but now, all I want to do is kill you again!"

As he fires up the Lardforce for another blast, Bat-Fem hurls a Batarang at him. It emits a loud hypersonic scream that causes him to grasp at his ears in pain. Pressing her advantage, she throws another one that releases a cloud of knockout gas that surrounds him.

I've got to get the sprock out of here, she thinkss to herself and fires another grappling cable to a nearby building.

But before she can swing from the line, she collapses. Suddenly she feels as if she's starving, and she can't move. Weakly she looks back toward Lard Lad and sees him approaching slowly, a purple energy bubble surrounding him.

"Nice trick, whore, but it only worked for a second," he mocks. "Soon as I put up this Lardforce shield, those boomerang-things were useless. No need for it now, though, eh?" And he drops the bubble.

"Do me a favor, and stay dead this time!" He raises his right hand, and the purple energy starts to build again. "Back to hell with you!"

Bat-Fem lies helpless and silently prays to whatever deities she believes in. Then, the death blow comes...

...but it's blocked! She's surprised to see a purple energy shield surround her and deflect the deadly blast. Almost simeultaneously, she suddenly feels healthy and not starving as she had been.

Before Lard Lad can fully comprehend that this was another Lardforce shield deflecting his blast, a voice blasts from behind him.

"YOU WILL NOT HARM MY WIFE!" screams the voice, which Bat-Fem and Lard Lad see belongs to the hideously scarred man known as...Lard Lord.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,842
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Valor the M'Onell
Valor the M'Onell
Australia
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star