Roll Call
0 members (), 11 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/18/24 05:00 PM
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Ann Hebistand - 04/18/24 02:50 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/18/24 02:18 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:17 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Newsarama: Bob Haney has died
#362002 12/06/04 05:49 PM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Newsarama is reporting that Bob Haney has died:

It has been learned that comics legend Bob Haney died on Thanksgiving Day, November 25th. He was 78 years old.

Haney died at a nursing/hospice facility in El Cajon, CA where he was hospitalized following a stroke that had robbed him of his ability to speak or recognize people. Complications from the stroke were the cause of his death.

Haney was one of the great Silver Age comics writers, landing at DC in the mid-50s, where he soon came to write virtually every comic DC published at one time or another. Haney was the co-creator of the original Teen Titans, Metamorpho, Eclipso, Doom Patrol, and an array of other characters, including Sgt. Rock. Together with other writers of the era, Haney tried unsuccessfully to unionize talent at DC in the late '60s.

www.newsarama.com

I started collecting during the early 1980s, long after Bob left his mark on comics.

But I enjoy many of the characters he created. Without him and Nick Cardy to bring Robin, Kid Flash and Aqualad together in the first place, there might not have been a Wolfman-Perez Titans.

And funny, I read that original Titans story a few days ago. It's in my Greatest Team-Up Stories Ever Told hardcover.

To echo comments on the Newsarama boards: I hope DC publishes that Titans Elseworlds story.

You're missed, Bob.

- Mike

Re: Newsarama: Bob Haney has died
#362003 12/06/04 07:24 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
*sigh* frown

I didn't realize he'd suffered a stroke recently. I guess his passing was a blessing with the condition he was in. Very sad news.

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#362004 12/14/04 01:46 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
It's sad that another great comic book creator has passed away. RIP, Bob smile

Take a look at some of his co-creation:s Eclipso, Metamorpho, the Doom Patrol...talk about one hell of an imagination! Definately a uniquely creative portion of DC history!

#362005 12/19/04 08:25 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Not to take away from any of Bob's accomplishments, but it always kind of bothers me that he gets credit as a co-creator of the Doom Patrol when the only member that he co-created was Negative Man, and that was basically him kibitzing with his good friend Arnold Drake when the latter decided to bounce some ideas off of him.

Haney will always be the grooviest Titans writer to me!

My powers are Legion!
#362006 12/20/04 09:21 PM
Leader
Leader
I'd already posted this on another thread, but in case anyone missed it, here we go again. (I knew none of this until Arnold told me.)

"Dreadful news. Bob was a very talented and decent man. We were extremely close for several years. Spent the summer of '65 (I think it was) working on a thriller-satire called "THE ASSASSINATOR". (The word didn't really exist. But we were turned on by its freshness.)

In the Spring of '62, I think it was, Murray Boltinoff asked me to come up with a new superhero to try and save My Greatest Adventure. Overnight I had most of The Doom Patrol
shaped up: a scientific genius in a wheelchair leads a pair of superheroes who don't like being 'freaks'. He cajoles/ taunts them into shaking off their self-pity and using their fantastic qualities to build a better world. When I brought the concept to Murray, Elastigirl and Robotman were well developed. Murray flipped over it and said, "Write it!". But I was convinced I needed one more character. And I had only a weekend in which to find the character and write a 16 page origin story.

Coming out of Murray's office I met Bob in the hall and told him a bit about the DP. He also loved the concept. He had no weekend assignment so he asked if he could help find the third superhero. He was always a pleasure to work with and time was breathing down my neck. I said, "Okay!"

So we sat down and began the search that eventually produced Negative Man. He was, I think, the most unique of the trio. And when I later developed that ghastly glowing figure under the banadages, he really became something else. But Bob was there when we midwifed Neg Man into being,

We wrote a storyline, "tore" it in half and went to our respective homes to write the script. I did the first half and he the second. Back in the city (he lived in Woodstock) we performed minor suregery to make the pieces fit neatly together. I wrote every story on my own after that. But Bob was there on day one and I've spoken of that countless times.

He is a great loss. There was no one I was closer to in the field. Though we saw each other only once ( '99 San Diego ComCon) after he moved to Mexico, I am going to miss him.

This has been a bitch of a year for me. And it doesn't help much to say, "It comes with the territory!"

To repeat, Haney was a dear friend for a lot of years and I'll miss him... May you pass the story on? Certainly. I've told it many times, so I feel as if every comics fan knows it well. But Mark Evanier once advised me. "Keep on telling those stories. There are always people who never heard them. And even those who have appreciate hearing it again from someone who was part of the scene.!"

Called Infantino to give him the bad news and then he gave me another bit: Irwin Donenfeld died about two weeks ago. He'd been very sick for many years. Had his colon removed about 20 years ago. Currently he was under dialysis. So his quality of life was miserable-- despite all his money. Some will say the guy was better off dead. I would say, "That's up to the guy to decide, not us".

Love&knishes"

#362007 12/22/04 02:20 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Wow, I didn't know that Haney co-wrote the first Doom Patrol story. I did know that he and Arnold Drake were tight, though, so it's good to hear Arnold's response to the news.

The fanboy in me can't help but wonder if his comment, "This has been a bitch of a year for me," has anything at all to do with the Doom Patrol reboot this year, on top of all of the other bad news.

My powers are Legion!
#362008 12/31/04 08:27 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Legion Lad:
Not to take away from any of Bob's accomplishments, but it always kind of bothers me that he gets credit as a co-creator of the Doom Patrol when the only member that he co-created was Negative Man, and that was basically him kibitzing with his good friend Arnold Drake when the latter decided to bounce some ideas off of him.
Well, a songwiter friend on mine once said, "If I write 90 percent of a song, but it doesn't work, I'm more than happy to give full co-credit to the guy who gives me the 10 percent that makes to work."

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,842
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Valor the M'Onell
Valor the M'Onell
Australia
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star