Roll Call
0 members (), 333 Murran Spies, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 12:20 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/28/24 11:47 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:44 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 28 MARCH*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
Share more completely random things!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:23 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:22 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Francis Manapul Interview: The Start of Something Big!
#362200 09/01/07 01:42 PM
R
Substitute
Substitute
R
I still don't like all that padding on Colossal Boy, but I really like that commission.

-- Still here to help.
#362201 09/03/07 01:16 AM
Substitute
Substitute
I'm torn about the commission. I don't like the padding on Colossal Boy either, but I do like the new Timber Wolf look.

My biggest problem from the commission is that I'm expecting T-Wolf to go: "Hey, bub, let's do the fastball special." The way T-Wolf is climbing into Colossal Boy's hand looks a lot like Colossus preparing to throw Wolverine. I can accept the Legion looking more like an X-team in Francis' art, but I really hope TPTB are careful to avoid making T-Wolf seem too much like a Wolverine-clone.

#362202 09/03/07 01:00 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by reckless:

I can accept the Legion looking more like an X-team in Francis' art, but I really hope TPTB are careful to avoid making T-Wolf seem too much like a Wolverine-clone.
for starters T-Wolf would have to appear in about a half-dozen team books, as well as a solo book. as well as a continuing line of mini-series detailing his 'true' origin. that's probably not going to happen any time soon.

#362203 09/03/07 06:20 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The T-Wolf/Colossal Boy commission looks great! I don't have a problem with the padding itslef, just the way it continues up the back of his head. It makes it look like he has no neck. Still, nitpicking aside, I'm looking forward to the creative jumpstart this title needs.

#362204 09/04/07 01:22 PM
F
fjm Offline
Substitute
Substitute
F
hey thanks for the feedback guys! also don't worry about TW being too much like wolverine, the person who requested the commission asked that they be in a "fast ball special" type of pose.

#362205 09/06/07 01:52 PM
Active
Active
Some I like; Invisible Kid (why did it take so long to outfit the kid?), Shady, Brainy (don't like the yellow boots but aside from that it's okay). Some not so much: Saturn Girl, Phantom Girl, Chameleon and Light Lass. I like their current costumes quite a bit in fact, they may be my all-time favorites for those characters. Really should have changed the Triplicate Girl costume though, it has got to be one of the worst costumes of all time.

I don't understand Micro Lad's costume, it looks he's surrounded by a halo of Fig Newtons. I know it's supposed to be padding or something. It just doesn't work visually. It looks like it was added as an afterthought, because his proportions look pretty normal if you ignore it.

Can't wait to see what the new creative team does with the book though.

Is that a moon?
#362206 09/07/07 12:09 PM
Applicant
Applicant
I know there's a topic for Shooter's new position on the book, but there's some new sketches by Francis included in the Newsarama interview with Shooter. The sketches look good!

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=128352

#362207 09/07/07 04:33 PM
Active
Active
Yeah, those sketches do look pretty good. I like the bare midriff SG costume a lot better than the bikini over wet suit look and the Sun Boy costume is a major improvement over that skin tight atrocity he's been sporting recently.

Is that a moon?
#362208 09/07/07 10:20 PM
Active
Active
Man...Imra hasn't looked that good in years. Well to be fair...I did like what Kitson did with her as well...it was an improvement. But nothing tops the Pink Bikini costume and any and all derivatives of it...nice job Francis. I never liked the retro costume and hair Levitz and Giffen gave her. It fit with her older character at that time...but she was never as pretty.

#362209 09/08/07 09:03 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Shady's brown cape is starting to grow on me.

Tinya however looks more and more like a generic tv actress than Tinya... as do come to think of it, all the females. They tend to look very similar in the face. Probably because he's new to the team.

#362210 09/11/07 02:10 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Superboy:
Man...Imra hasn't looked that good in years. Well to be fair...I did like what Kitson did with her as well...it was an improvement. But nothing tops the Pink Bikini costume and any and all derivatives of it...nice job Francis. I never liked the retro costume and hair Levitz and Giffen gave her. It fit with her older character at that time...but she was never as pretty.
To me, Imra was never one of the girls - she rather was the Lady, kind of like Invisible Woman used to be in Fantastic Four. Marrying and getting children certainly added to this perception.

While to me, Jeckie, Ayla or Nura (and NIGHT GIRL! I love her since she lost her stupid tower haircut!) were always "hot" (and certainly younger), I never digged Imra as a girl.

The fact that her action figure looks like a 30-something maths teacher might be another important fact :-)

#362211 09/11/07 04:26 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Chemical King:
To me, Imra was never one of the girls - she rather was the Lady, kind of like Invisible Woman used to be in Fantastic Four. Marrying and getting children certainly added to this perception.

While to me, Jeckie, Ayla or Nura (and NIGHT GIRL! I love her since she lost her stupid tower haircut!) were always "hot" (and certainly younger), I never digged Imra as a girl.
Same here. As a pre-teen, I got a definite 'mom' vibe from Imra, even well before her marriage to Garth. (Although the pink bikini and Farrah hair certainly made that impression milfier).

Nura was all Marilyn glamor, Jeckie was a more subdued 'Norma Jean' sort of look and Ayla was the spunky one. But I think Tinya and Tasmia were the prettiest, especially when Tinya was (occasionally) portrayed with long straight black hair and either lighter or darker skin (White or brown? Good. Orange? BAD!).

As for Night Girl, I liked the tower hair! Then again, my favorite Legion-adjacent-Lass would have to be page-boy coiffed Laurel Kent in her big red S-poncho, so my taste is all in my mouth. smile

I kind of like how Kitson portrayed Imra as somewhat unkempt, hair carelessly pinned out of the way, and no sign of makeup. It stands to reason that a culture of mind-readers would place exactly *zero* importance on physical appearance or other 'surface trivialities' and judge people more on stuff that can't be seen in a mirror.

Kitson's Violet seems to hold the idea of 'prettying herself up' in similar disdain, but for completely different reasons, I'd wager. It's refreshing to see super-heroines who don't look like they are posing for Maxim (like, unfortunately, Wonder Woman inevitably does).

That said, I'm also a total hypocrite. I sure didn't collect the first few years of Witchblade or Fathom for the masterful plotting! I just like that for every Nura Nal, who spends time primping, there's a Salu Digby who pins her hair back and comes rushing in guns blazing. smile

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#362212 09/14/07 02:56 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
[Linked Image]

laugh

Everybody loves the pink bikini!

#362213 09/15/07 04:55 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
Shady's brown cape is starting to grow on me.

Tinya however looks more and more like a generic tv actress than Tinya... as do come to think of it, all the females. They tend to look very similar in the face. Probably because he's new to the team.
The thing is, there are very few distinctive qualities to the Legion girls' faces. They're all pretty much generic pretty. It's their hair and costumes that distinguish one from another.
I mean, can you describe for me, the difference between Saturn Girl's face and Phantom Girl's? If they were both wearing a skull cap and the same colors, how'd we know who's who? Now think of each of the girls' faces. Not a lot has been done to make them look unique.

It's the hair and costumes that differentiate them.

#362214 09/17/07 05:37 AM
Substitute
Substitute
I've seen the final version of the Manapul Legion picture at Newsarama (I think it was)and I'm disappointed to see that they have succumbed to the Saturn Girl Must Wear Pink disease. Nooooooooooooo! I thought the new design looked great in red and white! It really sang!

In pink and white-it merely looks okay. But it's flat. For some reason the pink/white combination just doesn't pop the way the red/white one does. Darnit. I wish every new (or new/old?) generation of Legion creators wouldn't keep putting Imra back in pink. It doesn't fit her personality and it just doesn't look as good.

Now Element Lad, he should be back in pink! It looked good on him. Who cares if it's supposedly not a manly colour? I like it on him.

Not crazy to see the return of the dreaded L belts so soon after we were finally liberated from them. Sigh. And I say this as someone who really loved the Sprouse designs when they first came out lo, those many years ago.

But the L belts are in the past. Time to leave them behind and do something new. (new/old?) Going back to them yet again seems like such a backwards step.

Oh and I much prefer the Kitson design for Phantom Girl. It's a shame to lose that one so soon. (I wasn't sure about it at first, but it grew on me.)

Fire in the disco! Fire in the Taco Bell! Fire in the disco! Fire in the gates of hell!!
#362215 09/20/07 10:12 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Here's a question... are you guys going to use Dream Boy at all? He's been around the title for over a year now but has never really been treated like a full-fledged Legionnaire and he doesn't appear in that cover.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,288
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Joe Kalicki
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Ricardo
Ricardo
Brasil
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star