Roll Call
0 members (), 19 Murran Spies, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by idle - 03/28/24 09:35 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/28/24 08:46 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:59 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 03/28/24 07:56 PM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:28 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:24 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Re: Thor, the God of Thunder
#480158 09/30/11 04:07 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #628

I can't get past the art. Whilce Portacio fills in. and I think he's usually 'ok' but this is ..... really not to my liking to put it lightly.

It's a bummer because the story seems quite good. Especially the Disir quips. I also like how Loki has totally commandeered the Destroyer and that has been completely understated. This issue is definitely a middle issue ... and less fun than a beginning or end of a story.

#480159 10/28/11 03:37 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #630: A great issue wherein Volstagg the Voluminous spends a 'quiet' evening at home with his family after the events of FEAR ITSELF.

If you've got any affection for ol' Volstagg, check it out. Don't let the FEAR ITSELF tie-in status keep you away, as this could really be about any story the main character just experienced. In fact, you can now imagine that if V the V was there, afterward events just like those profiled here will be occurring.

FEAR ITSELF, while maybe not the greatest of 'events', definitely spawned some nice 'tie-ins' between this, NEW MUTANTS and THUNDERBOLTS.

#480160 11/13/11 10:20 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Nobody else liked #630? Surprising...

#631's already out... with a change in administration for Asgard. A few other things return to their more accustomed norm...

Loki's bid to remain on the side of light gets a test with a somewhat surprising direction from the new administration I mentioned before. I wasn't sure till now that the godling meant what he said about his future. Now I think that he does, but wonder how long it'll survive against the weight of Marvel's history.

#480161 11/23/11 03:41 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Asgardia's All-Mother... what do y'all think? I'm liking it (though it seems to me there ought to be a more cronish representative, too...)

The new Thunderer-- hah!

Folk from all the nine realms living in one city that now, apparently, doesn't even float above Broxton? Come on-- my pretty strong suspension of disbelief system can't handle that one!

The sooner Asgard or Asgardia is back in 'Asgard-space' the better.

That said, I'm quite intrigued by the All-Mother's proposed republic government to replace Odin's monarchy (don't really think 'patriarchal' and 'matriarchal' would mean much to gods).

A certain sometime ally, sometime opponent is revealed... making me think the return of more than one Asgardian god might be in the offing.

#480162 12/14/11 04:37 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #632: The string of fun issues continues as Loki is bequeathed the gift of a litter of hel-wolves, and is charged by the All-Mother to find homes for them. He does, visiting various Asgard-related characters, as well as Mephisto, and Dani Moonstar. The six pups he distributes are more or less 'normal' seeming, while the seventh talks... about murder, death, blood and flesh-rending. So, of course, Loki adopts him- feeling the pull of one outcast for another.

Volstagg gets to try on a new costume, as well. Remember what month it is.

This is one of, if not the best books on the stand and I'm shocked and a little saddened that no one else comments on it.

#480163 02/02/12 01:01 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
^ I agree that Journey into Mystery is one of the best comic books on the market. Hands-down head and shoulders above 99% of the rest of the market. Each issue maintains that quality as well, and continues to impress. Not only a contender for Marvel's best series, but best series in comics.

Meanwhile, the main Mighty Thor series is a little more hit and miss, even though the currnet story is quite a HIT in my opinion. Though the premise seems 'same old', the delivery proves that is not the case at all! It's a pretty complex plot involving Karnilla, Ulik, the Trolls, the Silver Surfer and a whole plethora of things that I'm enjoying quite a bit. The Olivetti artwork just takes it all to a new level in the majestic way Thor should be done.

Plus, I'm also really liking this new "Republic of Asgardia" status quo they are trying to establish. For the first time perhaps ever, where Odin is gone, they are doing something totally different than just another King. I wouldn't mind watching this develop for a period of time.

All in all, still a great time to be a Thor fan in comics!

#480164 02/19/12 12:15 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #634... in which it becomes apparent that the Son of Satan and Loki is a totally natural, even inevitable pairing that could become a long-running team (though I think that not so likely to happen).

Best moment- Loki's quickly maturing hel-wolf pup casts adoring eyes at Damon Hellstrom and says (this hel-wolf can speak) "Will you be my master?"

Worth the 3 or 4 dollars to me.

I'm still trying to figure Leah out. I like her and the way she puts Loki in his place-- but I keep stumbling around her name. A Hebrew name for an Asgardian? A shuffling of her mistress's (Hela) name? Similar to Loki's crow... What does *that* mean?

I like how there's undercurrents and mystery and history we don't yet know...

I only hope it can continue for years...

#480165 04/11/12 09:04 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So I think the latest Thor story arc (#6-12) is the best Matt Fraction story I've ever read. Combined with the explosive art by Ariel Olliveti, it made for a potent Thor story-arc.

What I really like is the combination of new ideas & modern sensibilities with a focus on some elements that are found in all the classic Thor stories: focus on Asgard; grandiose ideas & enemies; a few specific non-human Thor antagonists with very human downfalls. We had Thor off with other Gods battling the Devourer of Gods, the Silver Surfer & Kid Loki, Heimdall stepping up, the All-Mother & the "new Asgardia", the Warriors Three, the Lady Sif, Tanarius (and that story going somewhere unexpected and welcome), the Trolls, Karnilla, Kelda, and of course, the revelation of who Tanarius was.

My only issue is I wish Karnilla could have referenced the recent death of Balder, her true love, which actually gives her the motivation to do what she did in this story. But I guess writers can't take into account every reference that longtime fans would like to see.

All in all, it was a pretty fantastic story.

#480166 06/11/12 07:33 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So I'm continuing to enjoy both Asgardian series quite a bit! Fraction's Thor is definitely glued to the 6-part story structure but so long as they continue to be good I dont mind. This *is* good and Fraction's most original effort yet. Artist Pepe Larraz is really doing a fantastic, grandiose job. And Amora is in it, kicking ass!

Meanwhile, Journey into Mystery continues to be a high point in comics these days. The writing is just too notch with great plots, a unique tone and fantastic characters. It's difficult to find ways to continue to praise it. I think comparisons to Sandman are pretty apt.

All in all, a pretty great time for Thor fans.

#480167 07/22/12 06:04 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Journey Into Mystery #641.

I'd fallen behind on this title since the end of Exiled, but I got spoiled on the bare fact of the ending of this issue on Bleeding Cool, so I immediately read the arc (#639-641) to catch up.

And... damn.

I have a scale when it comes to these things. Now, this ISN'T at the top of that list (which is "Say I Deserve This", from Empowered Vol. 5 - that can STILL make me tear up after reading it at least ten times), since it didn't make me cry. But I've still been walking around in a saddened sort of daze for the past hour-and-a-half. Real gut punch there, Mr. Gillen.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#480168 07/23/12 05:10 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
^ I agree that Journey into Mystery is one of the best comic books on the market. Hands-down head and shoulders above 99% of the rest of the market. Each issue maintains that quality as well, and continues to impress. Not only a contender for Marvel's best series, but best series in comics.

Meanwhile, the main Mighty Thor series is a little more hit and miss, even though the currnet story is quite a HIT in my opinion. Though the premise seems 'same old', the delivery proves that is not the case at all! It's a pretty complex plot involving Karnilla, Ulik, the Trolls, the Silver Surfer and a whole plethora of things that I'm enjoying quite a bit. The Olivetti artwork just takes it all to a new level in the majestic way Thor should be done.

Plus, I'm also really liking this new "Republic of Asgardia" status quo they are trying to establish. For the first time perhaps ever, where Odin is gone, they are doing something totally different than just another King. I wouldn't mind watching this develop for a period of time.

All in all, still a great time to be a Thor fan in comics!
Cobalt Kid, I usually agree with you but not here. Haven't been digging the Mighty Thor at all. Fraction is a bit all over the place with it. I like Asgardia, I like the triple goddess rule, I like the shared realm of gods, elves, goblins, trolls, etc. But can't get into this series. I think it needs to be a bit more focused.

JIM on the other hand I love. I want Kid Loki around forever. If they want to bring Loki back as a true villain have an Ikol and a Loki. Kid Loki is just too cool to get rid of.

#480169 08/22/12 07:11 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Reboot:
Journey Into Mystery #641.

I'd fallen behind on this title since the end of Exiled, but I got spoiled on the bare fact of the ending of this issue on Bleeding Cool, so I immediately read the arc (#639-641) to catch up.

And... damn.

I have a scale when it comes to these things. Now, this ISN'T at the top of that list (which is "Say I Deserve This", from Empowered Vol. 5 - that can STILL make me tear up after reading it at least ten times), since it didn't make me cry. But I've still been walking around in a saddened sort of daze for the past hour-and-a-half. Real gut punch there, Mr. Gillen.
That was a tough one. Damn, good, effective writing. It hurt.

#480170 09/08/12 12:42 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
And it gets trumped the next month. The teams on THOR and JIM are going out in style, I'd say.

I found the Manchester Gods pretty fascinating. Though it's too bad only one really got a personality/ID. By authorial intent, I wonder? A commentary on technology's isolating tendencies? Surely they could come up with a better name for the Manchester gods' spokesman/Odin-Zeus analog(?)--- Mister Wilson. Really? Even though it does have more behind it than it seems, that's probably the most boring 'god' name ever.

#480171 09/27/12 10:03 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Wow, the turns this tale's taking... Further status changes for one of Loki's favorite people... and the betrayer gets Betrayed. Big time and heartbreakingly. For me, even more than the previous one.

Though Loki managed to more or less reverse that, will he be able to again?

Volstagg as king of Asgardia is surprisingly believable.

#480172 10/25/12 07:38 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So I'm a little behind but from what I've seen so far, "Everything Burns" has been AWESOME so far! The twists, the turns, the throwbacks to earlier in Gillen's run...it's just so damn well written! (And drawn too--both series).

The usage of a vast cast should be required reading for future writers of either series.

Man, I'm going to really miss Gillen writing the adventures of the Asgardians. He didn't get nearly enough press for his Thor run or his JiM run yet talented writing has put him front and center as the best Thor-family writer of the last 10 years.

#480173 11/01/12 06:56 PM
And then there was steak!
I think i'm an issue behind, but I've enjoyed every last bit of "Everything Burns". <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">The last I'd seen, Thor had just come back with his "army that won't burn" courtesy of Loki's twisty betrayal/helping. </span></span> I knew it was going to be twisty and turny, but the twists and turns have been OUTSTANDING.

I can say with some certainty that when I read Thor in the 90's it was fun but not nearly this level of storytelling. It genuinely seems fresh, and that's really something considering the source material.

#480174 11/02/12 04:05 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Originally posted by Conjure Lass:
I think i'm an issue behind, but I've enjoyed every last bit of "Everything Burns". <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">The last I'd seen, Thor had just come back with his "army that won't burn" courtesy of Loki's twisty betrayal/helping. </span></span> I knew it was going to be twisty and turny, but the twists and turns have been OUTSTANDING.

I can say with some certainty that when I read Thor in the 90's it was fun but not nearly this level of storytelling. It genuinely seems fresh, and that's really something considering the source material.
Conjure Lass, have you ever read Walt Simonson's 1983-87 run on Thor? If you haven't, it's really good, and it's been reprinted in a variety of formats.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#480175 11/02/12 04:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestion! I was pretty small in the 80s, so I wouldn't have been able to read comics in those days! I'll go out and try to find the TPB of it!

#480176 12/13/12 12:16 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
As I gear up for Jason Aaron's run on Thor, and Sif taking over JiM, I wanted to make sure I didn't lose focus on the incredible, seminal run that is wrapping up now: mainly, Keiron Gillen's run on JiM (which was a continuation on his prior Thor material). I finally caught up on "Everything Burns", reading the final part and the epilogue, which closes out Loki as the main character in JiM.

And though I've said it many times: wow. Just wow. What a fantastic run he's had, with an excellent finish! Gillen's voice is just so fresh and creative, and the levels of complexities to his plot / schemes and more importantly, to the character interactions, has been phenomenal.

My personal favorite part of this whole run, moreso than even Loki / Leah, has been Loki's numerous plots and tricks. Gillen pulled off so many, that for every one you could kind of see coming, there were two that totally caught you by surprise. And in the final issue, with Ikol at last being revealed, the whole thing came into true focus. Not that Ikol himself was much of a revelation, but rather, how the theme of the entire series (re: changing oneself) came into play.

Of course, the Leah / Loki relationship is #2. I'm not quite sure when it happened, but I became super-invested in seeing these two together. That's just good writing. The twist of Leah's future fate did not go unnoticer either.

One other item worth mentioning: the whole "young Loki", beloved kid brother of Thor bit at first seemed like it would never work for me. But the reason it did work was Kieron Gillen. He really sold the idea of an older brother / younger brother who believed in one another in a way that many lesser writers could not do.

I'm going to miss all of the supporting cast in a big way. The Disir perhaps the most.

What a terrific run. Hereafter, anything with "Kieron Gillen" on the cover will be sampled by me no matter what. I'm certainly interested in what Aaron has in mind, and I like Sif enough to continue JiM. But for now, I'm just enjoying the moment of completing one of the best runs in recent comic book memory.

#480177 12/14/12 12:07 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Does "future" really apply to Leah? tongue [I really want to see a Gillen miniseries showing the transition]

As for EB... was it just me or was the Vanir plot pretty much dropped halfway through? It was an excuse for some cannon fodder on the one hand, and to get the "All-Mother" out the way/put Volstagg on the throne on the other, but was never, ever developed in its own right.

But, yeah, Kid Loki worked in a way that he frankly shouldn't have. Bravo Mr Gillen, bravo.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

#480178 12/14/12 12:22 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Yeah, the Vanir plot seemed to not really matter in the bigger picture. It felt like something Fraction wanted to do and then pulled back on when it was clear Gillen's masterful larger plot didn't really call for it anymore.

#480179 12/14/12 12:47 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Quite possibly. I seem to recall that Fraction's run on Thor-proper (as opposed to Ages of Thunder/Reign of Blood/Man of War) was NOT well-received at large, and incoherency would have something to do with that. I never read it, myself.

PS: Check your PMs before the board shuts smile

Lightning Lad #771228 05/17/13 08:24 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I've got to say, I think the Aaron / Ribic run on Thor so far is nothing short of brilliant. It's epic in scope and masterfully done with each issue increasing the drama and tension.

This large opening arc focuses squarely on Thor and Gor, but Aaron is able to somehow turn that into immense characterization by showing Thor in three different stages of his life: the late 800's, today and the far future. It works extremely well.

Ribic's artwork is a bit of a revelation. I've known of him for years and never cared for it, but here it just works incredibly well. You can almost hear Wagner's operas playing in the background to underscore the grandiose nature of it all.

Lightning Lad #880948 12/11/15 04:59 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Earlier this week, I read a hardcover collection of Jason Aaron's first (male) Thor launch. It collected issues 1-11 of that series and encompassed the entire storyline involving the threat of Gorr the god butcher.

I thought the first four issues opening the story were a bit of a slog. there was some mystery as to the nature of the bad guy, and the majority of the scenes centered around a younger version of Thor (who is pretty much an ass) and how he first encountered the threat at that age. Interspersed are scenes with the modern Thor, who is slowly realizing that the guy he faced over a millennium before has returned, and with the far-future old man Thor, whose realm has been laid waste by the very same enemy.

Basically, there's a lot of decompression here, which is unsurprising with modern Marvel and its tendency to stretch out stories that would have taken half or less issues to tell in the past. By comparison, Walt Simonson told his epic Surtur saga in only 4 issues (though the subplot was there at the outset of his run).

Once we get issue 5 and some background on Gorr, the story picks up and marches thru to the end with some great moments and heavy action. Though it still feels drawn out, the issues are nonetheless exciting and dramatic. There are some nice moments of humor to break the tension at just the right time.

And I think old man Thor almost single-handedly saves the whole thing by being so much more interesting and acerbic than anyone else in the book. His granddaughters have some potential, though.

The art by Esad Ribic is epic and very well suited to the story that Aaron is telling. The painterly colors enhance this effect very well. But occasionally there is some clarity sacrificed in the storytelling. Nothing too severe, but noticeable at points. I would say that Ribic excels at the big moments but is less adept at the smaller moments. Fortunately, for him and us, it's far from a quiet story. I think he'd be less suited for a more character-centered piece like Saga that just happens to have its share of big moments.

So a good experience and a nice chance to reacquaint myself with a character and mythology that I really love. But I feel really confident in saying that it still doesn't hold a candle to what Simonson did with the character and his universe. I might check out Vol. 2 at some point, though, to give Aaron and friends another chance to impress since there were some good things done here. Plus, Aaron is one of the most gifted writers currently in comics, so I feel he'll probably get better as he goes.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lightning Lad #881130 12/12/15 08:27 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
First issue of Thor (the Jane Foster version) is out, and it was kind of surprisingly good for me. I did not expect to like it, and mostly bought it out of love for the gatefold cover with all the classic Thor characters (Beta Ray Bill, Enchantress, etc.).

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,306
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
KidMarvel (Bunny)
KidMarvel (Bunny)
Newcastle Australia
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star