Roll Call
0 members (), 20 Murran Spies, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/19/24 11:59 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 11:13 AM
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 11:13 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 01:49 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Straya's Art Spam Thread (Updated 3/19)
#128954 12/01/06 09:15 AM
Straya Offline OP
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
EDIT: Going to take Sketch Lad's advice and turn this thread into an overall "spam" thread for posting my art so I don't clutter up this end of the forum with multiple, separate posts.

(Animated LoSH) Timberwolf bugged me at 5:30am to draw him. ...so I cracked open Painter Classic, picked up my WACOM tablet and granted the request.

[Linked Image]

Not the true animated style... I decided I'd rather draw the character MY way based on the animated style this time. And the lighting's not perfect...but you can't win 'em all this early in the morning. LOL.

"Not imbalanced, just creatively calibrated!"

Talks about Transformers too much. Likes robots with plenty of bling, er big guns!
Re: Straya's Art Spam Thread (Updated 3/19)
#128955 12/01/06 02:41 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Oooh, I love seeing interpretations of characters. (I mean, if everyone tried to copy the original style exactly, it'd all look pretty boring, wouldnit?) The muted, brown tones work really well here, and you've done a great job shading.

Whoa, and now I just noticed little details, like the metallic shine on his belt and omg white tuffs at the end of his ears. (ADORABLE!) Oh, and the wrinkles in the fabric - nice touch.

Really liked your Brainy picture too - are you going to do a portrait of everyone in the animated cast? Awesome that would be. Eagerly awaiting more!

#128956 12/01/06 04:07 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Really cool! I hope there'll be plenty of fan art coming!!

#128957 12/01/06 04:09 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Straya, I might recommend creating something like the "Straya Art" thread or something, and update it as you go along. People will come to look for it...

That's not a hard rule or anything, just a suggestion.

Looking forward to more, more, more!

#128958 12/01/06 06:27 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Very nice. He looks quite wild. That colouring is very powerful.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#128959 12/01/06 10:35 PM
O
Substitute
Substitute
O
O_o

So pretty! Though he reminds me of how, during critiquing shot assignments for school, a girl looked like she was trying who to blame for a murder...That look is generally creepy.

I faved the copy on DeviantArt.

Places to contact me-
DeviantArt: Elementalist-1
HEATBLAST.NET: LexiT
Yahoo: meranova
#128960 12/01/06 10:46 PM
P
Reservist
Reservist
P
Pretty nice. I especially like how you did the folds of his uniform.

#128961 12/01/06 10:56 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Brin! laugh

Fantastic work, Straya. smile You did that all with a tablet? And with Painter Classic? I've got it, but I haven't played with it very much.

I haven't been in this forum in ages. I just saw the thread title and couldn't resist popping in.

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#128962 12/02/06 12:33 AM
Substitute
Substitute
*claps* freakin sweet! Although the peice of hair that usually sticks out is missing, this is very good!

"Do, or do not. There is no try." -Yoda
#128963 12/02/06 04:37 AM
Straya Offline OP
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Thanks for the feedback, all!

Originally posted by Lurker Lass:
Really liked your Brainy picture too - are you going to do a portrait of everyone in the animated cast? Awesome that would be. Eagerly awaiting more!
The way things are going, I just might. I still want to do Brainiac 5's "battle bot mode", tricked out Transformers comic style. Lightning Lad is definitely on my list to draw, as well. And I could probably do some pretty neat things with Phantom Girl in Photoshop...hn.

Originally posted by Sketch Lad:
Straya, I might recommend creating something like the "Straya Art" thread or something, and update it as you go along. People will come to look for it...

That's not a hard rule or anything, just a suggestion.
I think I'll go ahead and edit this post for that purpose... I guess it would be better than spamming up the forums every time the art bug bites me? LOL. That's not REAL often, anymore, but it happens... Ah, to be a teenager again and churning out ten sketches a day (even if they weren't very good ones). x_x

Originally posted by Arachne:
You did that all with a tablet? And with Painter Classic? I've got it, but I haven't played with it very much.
Yeah, it's a 4x6 WACOM Graphire, pressure sensitive. I've had it for years and it still works pretty well. *knock on wood* Painter Classic doesn't have as much to it as the full version and like the older versions of Painter, there's no layers option. But it's a lot of fun to play with. I did TW as a sketch in light gray, then went over him again with dark grey to harden and darken the line work. Then I used a lightnng effect to throw the gradient over top and most of the rendering was using the dodge and burn tools on that gradiant. There's some watercolor in there as well because the burn wasn't good enough on its own, but that method lets me turn out stuff with some decent amount of speed.

Talks about Transformers too much. Likes robots with plenty of bling, er big guns!
#128964 12/02/06 06:29 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Well done Straya
I REALLY like this. Like others have pointed out The little detail work is really eyecathing.
Where did you post the pic of Brainy that you mentioned, I'd like to see that.

Be lucky
#128965 12/02/06 07:23 AM
Straya Offline OP
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Originally posted by walkwithcrowds:
Where did you post the pic of Brainy that you mentioned, I'd like to see that.
The topic's a short ways down the list in this forum, but I'll go ahead and repost the image to this thread so everything will stay collected and in the same spot from now on.

[Linked Image]

Drawn in non-photo blue at an ungodly hour of the morning, then inked at work with a rollerball pen.

And Lightning Lad is indeed next up... I just finished sketching him out in Painter. Just need to darken up the linework. Not sure if I'll give him the gradiant/dodge/burn treatment, but using his "fists o' lightning" to set off the light source might be too much to resist. Also saving this one in steps because...I don't know why. But it kinda shows some sort of process.

#128966 12/02/06 12:02 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Great picture of Brin. I agree with everyone else that it's the little things which are so eyecatching. Love the fangs and the ear tips.

Off to your DeviantArt page I go. smile

#128967 12/02/06 12:09 PM
Straya Offline OP
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Something else else is about to eat high voltage... Insert your own alien/supervillain/monsterous threat!

[Linked Image]

Still have just the original sketch if anyone wanted to see it. Otherwise...there he is. Wheee...

Jeebus, I need sleep like burning. BUT NOT UNTIL I'VE WATCHED TODAY'S EPISODE OF THE BATMAN. *dies*

#128968 12/02/06 12:34 PM
Reservist
Reservist
wow! I love it! very nice! although a redish tint to his hair would have been cool. now seeing these pics makes me NEED to see one of Brainy. that would be too cool! can't wait to see more of your artwork anyway.

"He's doomed. We all are. Oh, wanna hear a joke?"

"I'm always thinking about you. Because according to the restraining order, that's all I'm allowed to do."
#128969 12/02/06 12:34 PM
Active
Active
VERY nice. I love the chromatic {mono-chromatic?} style you have. It gives the image a subtle pop that a larger color pallet would hide.

Keep them coming.

I take pride in my mental instability.
Go! Figure
#128970 12/02/06 11:40 PM
Straya Offline OP
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Sketch process on Lightning Lad for the heck of it.

[Linked Image]

Between the first two, I decided the further leg didn't look right and that the torso was too long. Used copy/paste to edit the torso length (actually removed the lower half from below the belt down and reattached it slightly higher up) and redrew the leg.

Going to work up my own version of Brainiac 5, next, and not follow the 'toon so heavily, I think.

Also, I've had too much candy and soda. Erm...gonna be one of those nights.

#128971 12/03/06 12:38 AM
Reservist
Reservist
*laughs* you're like Issac from Heros. (awsome show) draw the most awsome stuff only while you're high...suger high that is. unfortunately, I went swimming just a few hours ago and it's 40 degrees outside, I'm sitting in a 50 degree room with thin pajamas and still wet hair, so I think I better curl up in my nice warm bed before I catch a cold. but I will be WAY looking forward to some new artwork in the morning. don't let me down.

"I'm always thinking about you. Because according to the restraining order, that's all I'm allowed to do."
#128972 12/03/06 01:56 AM
Substitute
Substitute
LIGHTNING LAD

Solid work on the shading there. Any chance of you showing the process you did? (You mentioned that you saved the steps, yeah?)
EDIT: Okay, I'm a dumbtard and didn't notice the second page. Yaaarr!

Small nitpick: His head seems joined to the neck oddly from the angle the collar of the tights is drawn (I hate drawing heads from worm's eye view), and the feet look rather stiff. Other than that, I love it! Especially the way the muscles are implied, and his adorable, adorable face.

Oh, and I didn't comment so on your other thread, but that Brainy picture is total rawk.

#128973 12/03/06 02:56 AM
Straya Offline OP
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Originally posted by Lurker Lass:
Small nitpick: His head seems joined to the neck oddly from the angle the collar of the tights is drawn (I hate drawing heads from worm's eye view), and the feet look rather stiff.
I'm still trying to get the hang of the worm's eye view thing, so yeah... I see what you mean. I played with it a little while working on it, but couldn't seem to get it to look just right at the time and ended up leaving it. Kinda lazy of me, but...eh. x_x Nothing for it but more practice, right? I'll keep at it. smile And thanks for the concrit!

Busted out a lot of Rockman and Rockman X music for the next one...

[Linked Image]

...knew I was going to drag in some Mega Man X and Transformers influence without hesitation. (And, in a way, his face kind of reminds me of Red Alert's from Mega Man X7.) Decided not to do the gradiant render thing on this one, though. If I do color it, I think I'd rather go the whole way, since his costume has a lot more color contrast to it against his green skin as opposed to the color shift variations in someone like Timberwolf.

#128974 12/03/06 09:57 AM
Reservist
Reservist
frown you have made my cute adorable geek into some rock robot...yet I can't hate it! it's an awsome drawing with a greek quote to the side, and the details are extensive and exact. although I didn't particularly like the changes to the face, I still loved the drawing and would so like to see it colored.

#128975 12/03/06 10:11 AM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I think that Brainy looks terrific! Nice work Straya. smile

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#128976 12/03/06 10:19 AM
O
Substitute
Substitute
O
I've always loved how you put in little wrinkles around the knees. Nobody can say anything horribly mean unless whoever says it is heartless. ^_^

Places to contact me-
DeviantArt: Elementalist-1
HEATBLAST.NET: LexiT
Yahoo: meranova
#128977 12/03/06 10:36 AM
Substitute
Substitute
I only have two words for your drawings: FREAKIN AWESOME!!!

"Do, or do not. There is no try." -Yoda
#128978 12/03/06 10:58 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I like it, a more classic look for Brainy. Looks like he's ready for a long day of work in the lab and the mechanical shop.

Of course, this may not be a positive thing considering he spent his first 30+ years in very fashion-challenged purple mechanic's coveralls.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,854
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
future king
future king
ontario
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star