Roll Call
1 members (Lard Lad), 17 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/25/24 05:38 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:32 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:30 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/24/24 09:11 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:49 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
The New Teen Titans 1980-1984: cover commentary
#137668 06/09/12 08:06 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
Covers are the new China Cat of the Titans Forum!

Let's inspect the covers of the hugely popular early-to-mid-80s Wolfram/Perez The New Teen Titans (volume 1). There are 40 monthly issues and 2 annuals .

The minor twist? There will be two random covers up at a time -- I've generated a number list to determine order of appearance.

Feel free to discuss the story inside, judge covers solely by their merit as standalone images (or not), recount personal stories concerning the covers/issues, remark upon the similarities or differences between the 2 covers or the entire group, or do the ever-popular WHICH ONE IS BETTER?

Re: The New Teen Titans 1980-1984: cover commentary
#137669 06/09/12 08:09 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
Click to enlarge!

click to enlarge click to enlarge

#137670 06/09/12 08:27 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Omega Men! Woo. I always loved the Vega system, and it's complex internal cosmology/mythology!

Interesting that the puff of smoke surrounding the teleporting Raven is red, and not her usual black.

And that's just so typical of a Teen Titan cover. Everyone is running forward, and Kid Flash, is, inexplicably, not running any faster than Robin. What good is super-speed if he can never get to the action before Robin?

(I know, I know, cover composition requires it, but still, it bugs me.)

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#137671 06/09/12 09:06 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
As was touched on a bit in the Judas Contract cover thread, Perez's Titans covers tended to be realistic, single-scene action shots. But make no mistake, there were stylized/abstract covers (or elements) too, and both of these qualify. 17 has no background, and 24 is a kind-of standard pinup "motion" shot with stylized, dramatic bookends.

Ten or twelve years ago, I snagged an extra copy of 17 from a bargain box. I may or may not have re-read the story, but there was something about the cover that had me keeping it on top of the pile until I later filed the lot away. I think it might have been the colors. The white background not only helps to highlight Frances but to set off the colors. Also, there's a reason that shirt (and the title) is pink and not red (Robin, WG), blue (Raven), or orange/purple (Starfire).

Several---but, again, not all---of the covers in the first few years had dialogue. Not here...wouldn't suit these two.

The 'bookends' of 24 are very striking, as is the white borders vs. black starfield-middle contrast. The motion shot, as I call it, is handsome but not very interesting to me. It's a promo shot with some Omega Men thrown in. Rehash of #1.

#137672 06/11/12 11:51 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Perez's art can be funny sometimes. When Raven went evil, her hairline receded and her eyebrows went all 'Spock,' and it's the same between Koriand'r and Komand'r. The 'good' one has a shorter nose and 'normal' eyebrows and a normal hairline, but Komand'r is eeeviiil, so she has to have the receding hairline and the eyebrows that go all the way up.

Phobia, of the Masters of Evil, had the same 'evil' face.

I suspect at least part of the shock of Terra's betrayal was that Perez didn't draw her with a his typical angular 'evil woman' face.

#137673 06/12/12 01:49 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^ I seem to remember an article where Perez said that Terra was specifically designed to appear cute and unthreatening so as to increase the shock of her later betrayal. Hence, the button-nose, buck-teeth, freckles, short stature, short blonde hair - everything about her was meant to invoke girl-next-door innocence.

---

Of these two covers, I prefer the Frances one. I love the pink concentric lines forcing you to focus on her at the centre of the cover, despite all the clutter and distraction surrounding her. The only thing I would change would be to move Startire a little bit higher since she's kinda crowding Frances' personal space where she is.

The Omega Men cover is nice too of course. Perez is probably the only artist I can think of who has never drawn something I haven't liked - especially during this period.

I wasn't a big fan of this Omega Men story though, from memory (it has been FOREVER since I read the Wolfman/Perez run so I have forgotten lots about it). But I remember that the Titans killed sentient aliens in this story (the Gordanians I think) and that never sat right with me.

It seems quaint to think of a time when heroes didn't kill but this was during it and I didn't like the rationale that 'it was war so they did what they had to do'. Super-heroes are meant to be better than that IMO. (That was another reason I wasn't a big fan of the Flash/Blackhawks issue of JMS' otherwise superlative Brave and Bold run.)

I get what Set is saying about Perez' 'evil female' facial features but looking at those profiles of Starfire and Blackfire and thinking back to Terra mentioned above just reminds me of how good Perez was at varying the facial features of his characters. Talents like that are what set him far above an artist like Barry Kitson for example who, though a nice artist, had one male face and one female face and about two different hairstyles to put on top of them.

#137674 06/12/12 01:56 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Set:

And that's just so typical of a Teen Titan cover. Everyone is running forward, and Kid Flash, is, inexplicably, not running any faster than Robin. What good is super-speed if he can never get to the action before Robin?

(I know, I know, cover composition requires it, but still, it bugs me.)
Just because a character can get to the action quicker than their teammates doesn't mean it's always wise to do so.

I've played Dungeons and Dragons long enough to know that those characters who run off and leave the safety of the group do so at their extreme peril.

#137675 06/12/12 02:00 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season

#137676 06/12/12 02:10 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Blacula:
Just because a character can get to the action quicker than their teammates doesn't mean it's always wise to do so.

I've played Dungeons and Dragons long enough to know that those characters who run off and leave the safety of the group do so at their extreme peril.
Oh, I totally agree, I just think it's funky how cover composition always requires Kid Flash (or the Flash) to be running at super-speed to catch up to where Robin or Cyborg (or Batman or Aquaman) already got to without super-speed.

Same with Raven, who always seems to be teleporting to just behind everyone else, as if it takes her longer to teleport somewhere than it takes everyone else to walk there. smile

I hear ya on the D&D though. In a game where the encounters are balanced to be a challenge for your entire group, running off alone is asking to be killed! (One reason why I've never been a fan of game mechanics that end up separating the group, like a flier or amphibious character in a party that doesn't all have that capability, or astral projectors, or cyber-deckers, or stealth-based characters, whatever.)

As for the cover above, I like the cover with Mento better. It's got some action and drama going on. The four faces of the new Masters of Evil doesn't really offer me anything.

#137677 06/12/12 02:46 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
I can't help but compare 14 to the Judas Contract annual (which is Tales, not NTT, and has already been covered)

The "silent" annual cover is more compelling to me. I realize you can't really convey the DAD part in gestures, but there you go.

#137678 06/12/12 02:58 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
That crazy Mento ... It's like having Dr. Light as your father.

#137679 06/12/12 03:04 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Leap Year Lord:
[b]Click to enlarge!
click to enlarge [/b]
This cover kicks nass!!!!

#137680 06/12/12 03:08 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
Originally posted by Power Boy:
That crazy Mento ... It's like having Dr. Light as your father.
I was thinking of how Tiny Titans Raven is always mortified by her upbeat, Ned Flanders-esque (except that one thing) dad.

#137681 06/14/12 10:14 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
29: this is the only cover to have a green DC Bullet -- three are black, and the rest are either red or blue. The green here can't be a coincidence, given the central character's costume. Did the colorist always pick the bullet color --- anyone know?

I had forgotten that Plasmus was on this cover. You'd think that looking like dude-shaped 200-pound lump of strawberry Tangy Taffy that had been left out in the sun would make one memorable, but not always.

The figurative "villains looming large" cover is common enough.

#137682 06/14/12 10:25 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season

#137683 06/14/12 10:30 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
It's interesting how little the new Masters of Evil really 'stuck,' compared to, say, the Fearsome Five (Shimmer and Mammoth, or, at least, interpretations of them, as well as Psimon, can be seen in the new Young Justice cartoon, and Gizmo and a version of Jinx in the Teen Titans cartoon).

Plasmus showed up in the Teen Titans cartoon, but as more of a Clayface IV type character.

Phobia, Houngan and Warp just never seemed to gain any traction.

#137684 06/14/12 10:31 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Perez's art can be funny sometimes. When Raven went evil, her hairline receded and her eyebrows went all 'Spock,' and it's the same between Koriand'r and Komand'r. The 'good' one has a shorter nose and 'normal' eyebrows and a normal hairline, but Komand'r is eeeviiil, so she has to have the receding hairline and the eyebrows that go all the way up.

Phobia, of the Masters of Evil, had the same 'evil' face.

I suspect at least part of the shock of Terra's betrayal was that Perez didn't draw her with a his typical angular 'evil woman' face.
And Teh Evol is also indicated by Komand'r's lack of a cute little WASPy uptilted nose. (Man, did that used to bug me back in the day!)

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#137685 06/14/12 10:39 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
It's interesting how little the new Masters of Evil really 'stuck,' compared to, say, the Fearsome Five...
Yeah, especially their name. They were the Brotherhood of Evil. (Masters = Marvel)

OK, I now know that the BOE name comes from the Silver Age and heaven knows I love me some SA, but COME ON. Who would call themselves the Brotherhood (or Masters) of Evil? Fearsome Five...maybe, okay.

#137686 06/14/12 10:40 PM
[snip]

Originally posted by Blacula:

...It seems quaint to think of a time when heroes didn't kill but this was during it and I didn't like the rationale that 'it was war so they did what they had to do'. Super-heroes are meant to be better than that IMO. (That was another reason I wasn't a big fan of the Flash/Blackhawks issue of JMS' otherwise superlative Brave and Bold run.)
OM itself had a great deal of gratuitous violence right from the start. Giffen said in some interview that he was trying to avoid the "ballet... beautiful" violence associated with Frank Miller's Daredevil. But his approach wasn't any more appealing to me than Miller's. It seemed more hokey than realistic.

One critic also complained of how Giffen and Slifer excessively ridiculed Broot's people for their pacifism, hammering the ridicule way beyond the pale in a scene where Broot's infant baby literally had his head blasted off. (DC has always loved the little children, hasn't it?) I agree that it was pretty obnoxious. There was a lot of self-congratulatory "edgy" junk like that, which made me drop the book about three issues in.

...how good Perez was at varying the facial features of his characters. Talents like that are what set him far above an artist like Barry Kitson for example who, though a nice artist, had one male face and one female face and about two different hairstyles to put on top of them.
Well, he was better than most. Still, it's kind of irksome that because of the ugly woman = evil woman trope, he had to vary the faces of two characters who by rights could have plausibly looked much more similar than they did.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#137687 06/14/12 10:51 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by cleome45:
And Teh Evol is also indicated by Komand'r's lack of a cute little WASPy uptilted nose. (Man, did that used to bug me back in the day!)
Ooh, yes! Perez loved his short upturned noses!

I, on the other hand, loves me some proboscis.

#137688 06/14/12 10:54 PM
<span style="font-size: 15px;">[gasp!]</span>

#137689 06/15/12 02:31 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Getting back to the previous round -

I love, love, love the Speedy cover. Roy Harper was my favorite character back then so to see him come back and handle himself against this really scary team was a real thrill for me.

I love the composition of the cover too. The villains looming large over the heroes may be a trope but I can't think of any off the top of my head so it seems original to me. I love the use of the heavy shadows too - it really makes the other colors pop.

Speaking of colors - I really like the choice on the Mento cover to color everyone but him and Changeling in light blue. It's an interesting choice and probably what makes that cover pop too.

As for this round -

Oooohhh tough to decide. Probably two of the best overs in the run. I think I like the Robotman cover better because of the awesome sense of atmosphere it creates - the jungle at night setting, the decrepit temple or whatever that is, the torchlight falling on a disturbing scene - all give a sense that our three Titans are in a strange and scary situation. Plus the level of detail Perez puts into that jungle foliage is incredible.

The Deathstroke cover is great too. Who doesn't love a nice happy scene being wrecked by the psycho villain?

#137690 06/15/12 02:41 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by cleome45:
...how good Perez was at varying the facial features of his characters. Talents like that are what set him far above an artist like Barry Kitson for example who, though a nice artist, had one male face and one female face and about two different hairstyles to put on top of them.
Well, he was better than most. Still, it's kind of irksome that because of the ugly woman = evil woman trope, he had to vary the faces of two characters who by rights could have plausibly looked much more similar than they did. [/QB]
I definitely concede this point - for sisters, they really do look nothing alike. I wonder how differently Blackfire would have been received/portrayed if she had been Starfire's twin, and therefore didn't have Perez's "evil" features to inform much of her character?

#137691 06/15/12 02:49 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
It's interesting how little the new Masters of Evil really 'stuck,' compared to, say, the Fearsome Five (Shimmer and Mammoth, or, at least, interpretations of them, as well as Psimon, can be seen in the new Young Justice cartoon, and Gizmo and a version of Jinx in the Teen Titans cartoon).

Plasmus showed up in the Teen Titans cartoon, but as more of a Clayface IV type character.

Phobia, Houngan and Warp just never seemed to gain any traction.
To me, the BoE always seemed like they'd stepped straight out of a horror comic into the Titans pages. Something else else about this team (as much as I love them - and I think their designs are some of the best Perez ever did) really disturbed me.

I wonder if that's why other writers have trouble finding a place for them? They seem a little cruel and ruthless for the more or less straight-forward super-hero world of the 80s.

#137692 06/15/12 05:46 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season

Another lady looming large while wearing green (with gold at the throat). I haven't read the issue, and the GCBD doesn't explain who the Flash cover gal is. The fist is probably "Bah! Curses!" but could be "Go Flash, get 'em!" The eyebrows however...yeah, those look like evil eyebrows.

I don't think there are any eyebrows as crazy-evil as Phobia, though.

#137693 06/15/12 05:59 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Maybe the Flash cover gal is angry because she bet on the opposing team.

PovertyLad

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#137694 06/24/12 09:32 AM
in season
OP Offline
in season

34: Slade blows apart the 'happy family' Titans picture although they don't know it but now we do

13: I also like the darkness although it doesn't quite match up. Beyond the thicket it looks like daylight, and even if the canopy of trees is very dense, would it be that dark? Also, for all the details of the foliage, the Titans' faces are somewhat nondescript, with Robin coming out cartoony.

I knew almost nothing about the Doom Patrol, so there was no emotional or nostalgic impact on that score.

#137695 06/24/12 09:41 AM
in season
OP Offline
in season

#137696 06/24/12 10:46 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I love the yellow and orange on the Dr Light cover. That must have really stood out on the newsstand.

The Trigon one is a bit busy for me. It's hard to know where to direct the eye. I like the way Wally seems to be protecting Raven though. I always forget that those two had sort of a thing going at one time. That relationship was like a shooting star - bright and intense for a brief moment and then hard to remember once it was over.

#137697 06/26/12 08:42 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
3: Blac, I agree that the yellow/orange really makes the cover stand out. It's not a common cover color combo, and not one that is necessarily a favorite of mine, but it is striking. This is the only black logo, and even though orange/black tends to go Halloweeny, it looks good. The line drawings are subtle but add a lot --- imagine the cover without them and it becomes too plain, I think.

6: Another interesting color thing, although I'm not sure if interesting = good or bad. When I pulled the image I thought it was a scan of a shopworn cover, showing wear in the way that dark covers do. Then I got out my hard copy and realized no, that's the gray cloudiness or energy or whatever.

#137698 06/30/12 07:31 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
Regarding #3's color choices: see the original and a reprint with some changes to the art

#137699 06/30/12 07:39 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
Here's the same for #6. Great Hera! It looks like space is choked with moss.

#137700 06/30/12 08:26 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Wow! I had no idea they changed the colours in foreign editions of comics. I wonder what... Romeo Tanghal (was that the NTT colorist?) thought of that.

As for these versions - the new Spanish version of #3 is UG.LY! Hate it.

I sort of don't mind the orange/brown background on #6 but Trigon really should have stayed his own red color since he's meant to be the main focus and shouldn't be melting into the background.

#137701 07/01/12 12:37 PM
Blacula, the NTT colorist was usually Adrienne Roy. Romeo Tanghal was George Perez's NTT inker.

#137702 07/01/12 05:28 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
That's right! Thanks FL. I had all those names floating around in my head but couldn't remember who did what.

#137703 07/01/12 05:45 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
click to enlarge
I LOVE this cover ... as a kid it blew my mind ... that the cover was ripping off. Made it feel so much more real.

And ... the action INSIDE was also mind blowing, the fight scenes were so clever.

#137704 08/04/12 10:18 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

#137705 08/30/12 10:01 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season

#137706 08/30/12 11:14 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hmmm. Both great covers but they don't stand out to me the way others by Perez do.

I think I'd have to say I prefer the Hyperion one because I'm a sucker for floating heads (though the fact that Wally's is slightly off-line bugs).

#137707 08/31/12 02:21 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Definitely the first one. It's got Paradise Island as a backdrop, and Kory and Donna fighting to 'save the ones they love' (which, presumably, are the boys watching from off-panel, making the boys the 'damsels in distress,' which is always fun!).

The second one does benefit from having the entire team present, even if, typically for a cover, the speedster, the fastest flier and the teleporter are, as usual, in the back, not having caught up with the lumbering cyborg or the teen acrobat...

What good is being able to run at a significant fraction of the speed of light if the kid who swings on a rope always gets there first? smile

#137708 08/31/12 03:59 AM
in season
OP Offline
in season
I don't have any criticisms of these two, but I don't LOVE either one, either. I prefer the more detailed background of #5 ----somewhat like #13, which is also semi-"dark). I don't care that much for floating heads.

Did Hyperion and Trigon go to the same Villain Posing College?

#137709 08/31/12 04:43 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Leap Year Lord: Did Hyperion and Trigon go to the same Villain Posing College?
Same outfit, more or less, too. Strappy thing across chest, mostly to hold the cape on. Some flowy cloth over the junk. Sandals.

You'd think being a god would come with a wardrobe allowance.

I wonder if Trigon the Terrible is related to Hagar the Horrible? Or possibly Iago the Inadmissible?

#137710 08/31/12 07:46 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Villains hate wearing underpants! why? Because they're EVIL! They probably like to start sentences with because as well!!! (and use excessive !!!!!!!!!! )

#137711 08/31/12 10:04 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
I took another look at #5. I like the way the curved decorative beams give shape to the cover and frame the logo. I'm liking this one more.

#137712 08/31/12 10:11 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
These have already been up, of course...just wanted to see the detailed, 'semi-dark' ones side by side.

#137713 08/31/12 10:25 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season

Great Hera! I haven't cared for the previous examples of changes in other editions, but I figured it was a matter of personal taste in color. But this is a JUST A MESS. Hyperion looks like a gold statue and why the HELL is the sky green??

#137714 08/31/12 10:29 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season

#137715 09/01/12 02:39 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Ooh, Nuevos Garfield can turn into orange cats, and not just green cats! Cool!

Foreshadowing of the NuDCU version of Beast Boy, who is reddish-orange? Or plaigerism! Dun, dun, dun-dun!

What the heck is Cyborg shooting out of his hand? He doesn't have energy blasters, just that sonic hand attachment thing... Huh.

Dark-haired Starfire is neat. I think I like the dark contrail better!

As for the previous cover, yellow Hyperion's lavender lightning is..., well, it just is. Yanno?

#137716 09/01/12 02:41 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Double post. Ignore the little man behind the curtain.

#137717 09/01/12 06:29 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Cyborg used to have a finger laser ... not sure if all of his fingers can fire blasts. maybe.

click to enlarge

Great Hera! I haven't cared for the previous examples of changes in other editions, but I figured it was a matter of personal taste in color. But this is a JUST A MESS. Hyperion looks like a gold statue and why the HELL is the sky green??[/QB]
The sky is only green for the top 90% of the page ... which is even more bizarre ... also I think Paradise Island needs to deal with their pollution problem as they have turned the ocean BROWN!?!

#137718 09/01/12 10:51 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
All that, but they always seem to get Kid Flash's color scheme right.
Sign of a "classic" costume?

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#137719 09/02/12 05:33 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Ooh, Nuevos Garfield can turn into orange cats, and not just green cats! Cool!

Foreshadowing of the NuDCU version of Beast Boy, who is reddish-orange? Or plaigerism! Dun, dun, dun-dun!

Dark-haired Starfire is neat. I think I like the dark contrail better!

scroll back a little more and you will see the NTT #6 - they showed Changeling's red too...hmmm I dont know about the spanish covers...but I wonder if it is how he is being colored as red throughout the spanish books??

#137720 09/06/12 06:31 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season

#137721 09/07/12 02:26 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
The box with the 'More New Pages from the new DC!' blurb on the #8 cover isn't quite big enough to block the view of He Who Shall Not Be Named, and therefore I hate it.

Hmm, Kory's hair was darker than I remember on that 1st issue. Must be that darn Nuevos Titans time-travel retcon thing again!

#137722 10/06/12 06:45 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
As I've mentioned before, when I run across the house ads that feature the cover of #1 (against a black background, I think?) I stop and stare at it.

While looking at #8 to compose my comments, I realize that I can't remember what happens in the issue. This is one of the issues that I picked up long after I started reading Titans.

#137723 10/06/12 07:17 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
#8 what I remember from the issue (with the cover jogging my memory) Terry Long is introduced with Donna introducing him to Starfire. Starfire does save the kid from being run over by a Central Park cab. Cyborg gets dumped by his pre-accident girlfriend and ends up meeting the kids with prosthetics & Sarah Sims. Changeling after talking with Cyborg chases away some punks trying to strip his expensive car. Raven uses her soul self to check out a local university, discovers terrorists planting bombs around campus, gathers them up, and races back to have her soul selfjoin with her body in the minute limit. She doesn't make it, but manages to avoid the dire results that she was told would happen. Wally has dinner with his parents (pre-Manhunter dad & alcholic mom) and his dad has him carve the roast seeing as he is now a man.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#137724 10/06/12 08:00 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Sigh. I feel sorry for everyone who missed buying issue #1 fresh off the stands on the day it was released. One of the high points in the life of a comic reader. Seriously.

#137725 10/06/12 08:21 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
I can still buy #1 for the first time, anyway; I still don't own a copy. I *read* it fairly early on in a mass market paperback book that reprinted 1-3 (chopped up page-wise, black and white).

click to enlarge

The back cover features the Titans' heads against stars, like #8.

#137726 10/07/12 05:32 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season

#137727 10/07/12 06:24 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Thank goodness Terra lost that head gear!

#137728 10/07/12 08:34 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I can still buy #1 for the first time, anyway; I still don't own a copy. I *read* it fairly early on in a mass market paperback book that reprinted 1-3 (chopped up page-wise, black and white).

click to enlarge

The back cover features the Titans' heads against stars, like #8.
That book was my very first exposure to the Titans! Gosh - I had completely forgotten about it. I wonder where it is now?

My first exposure to pretty much the entire DCU was in black and white like that book actually, because that's how Australia reprinted DC comics. They did it totally randomly too so you might buy a comic that had the Titans on the cover and then you'd get an Omega Men or Atari Force or something as a back-up? Or you'd buy a JLA issue and there would be a Flash or Wonder Woman back-up. Murray Comics (as they were known here) were over-sized.

What's ironic is that I read and enjoyed so much of the DCU in black and white back then but now colour is so important to me - I would never buy one of those Showcase Essentials for example. Funny how things change.

#137729 10/08/12 11:56 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
Gotta back up a little bit...

Well, OK. The French version is virtually identical. Nuevos' gray background isn't bad, but the buildings should not be the same color.

No, no, Nuevos!!

#137730 10/12/12 10:26 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season

16: So DC siphoned 15-20% off the cover of their HOTTEST property to promote Captain Carrot. At least it wasn't MASK.

Shoved over + the "you'll have to go through us" = one of the least notable covers for me.

28. Yep, that first Terra costume had to go. I thought the ponytail thing was interesting...not the look, but the misdirection.

Another nice-looking cover, but not a particular favorite.

Lash, did ya see the Hero In Hand?

#137731 10/13/12 03:38 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season

#137732 10/13/12 03:40 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season

#137733 10/13/12 03:46 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Wait...what? Robins Blond elsewhere? Interesting.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#137734 11/04/12 04:16 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
BeastBoyII

#137735 12/03/12 03:03 AM
in season
OP Offline
in season

#137736 12/19/12 02:10 AM
in season
OP Offline
in season
Oh no! The LW upgrade ate all the posts!

Hey, wait a minute....

Leap Year Lord #778590 07/05/13 03:07 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season

Leap Year Lord #857186 06/28/15 06:11 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

21. This is rather striking, with the fancified Big Dot behind BB. I'd like to see what could've been without that advertising.

18. Someone sure likes drawing arches.

Leap Year Lord #858557 07/07/15 03:06 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
21. I definitely agree that the ad along the side really screws up the aesthetic of this cover. There is also something missing a little down in the front though...perhaps with the colors? Composition-wise, the cover is fantastic, but there should be more colors besides reds, yellows and orange shadows.

18. Great depiction of Red Star. I also always like when the characters in the back are running out towards the front of the cover, as if they are almost running at you. The blue sky with a 'v' shape anchors it all.

Leap Year Lord #858575 07/07/15 05:48 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
21. Re: the ad; I blame Marv Wolfman.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
Leap Year Lord #859448 07/12/15 07:35 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Why the lack of opinions? We got communists and cult weirdos.

Leap Year Lord #859461 07/12/15 08:08 AM
18. To hell with Leonid's politics, he's HOT. love

Leap Year Lord #859475 07/12/15 10:03 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Leap Year Lord

Hmm. Those bullets are missing Tara completely! Slade is giving away the big reveal!

Leap Year Lord #860212 07/17/15 01:33 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Leap Year Lord #860429 07/18/15 10:03 AM
31. THE classic of classics among NTT covers. Nice use of a minimalist color palette. Atmospheric and genuinely unnerving. "And you call yourselves the Brotherhood of Evil? I will show you evil!"

Leap Year Lord #860437 07/18/15 10:21 AM
The Present is Past
The Present is Past
Wow! I haven't seen that NTT #31 cover before. That's gorgeous and the limited colors make it more effective!

Leap Year Lord #860503 07/18/15 03:01 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
31. I think that this would be even better if the logo and DC Bullet had gone black/gray/white/blue. Same with Baxter #2.

7. For the longest time, I did not realize that someone was sitting in that chair.

Thriftshop Debutante #860515 07/18/15 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Thriftshop Debutante
31. I think that this would be even better if the logo and DC Bullet had gone black/gray/white/blue. Same with Baxter #2.

Good point, Teeds.

Leap Year Lord #860549 07/18/15 09:00 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
31 above-- I normally do not like when colorists go monochromatic in crowd scenes but yes it really works on both covers here and yes Teeds the logos should have done that too, at this point NTT was such a success they didn't need the bright logo to sell.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
Fanfic Lady #860550 07/18/15 09:02 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady

LOL, gotta agree. I will drink his beets vodka!

MLLASH #860561 07/18/15 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by MLLASH
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady

LOL, gotta agree. I will drink his beets vodka!

Tee hee

Me, too. nod

Gravitas and good diction are definitely turn-ons in my mind. love

Leap Year Lord #861633 07/24/15 08:41 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
I demand more commentary! Get on it, sentients and chatbots!

Thriftshop Debutante #861642 07/24/15 08:53 PM
click to enlarge

This cover makes me think of that 60s song that goes, "Everyone knows it's Windy."

Leap Year Lord #866135 08/22/15 04:40 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Leap Year Lord #866149 08/22/15 07:40 PM
I much prefer 38 ("Who Is Donna Troy?") because it's more imaginative, has better composition and more pictorial variety. Also, the muted colors work a lot better, with the adult Donna pinup really standing out.

Leap Year Lord #866251 08/23/15 08:29 AM
The Present is Past
The Present is Past
Fanfie is right. #38 is artistically captivating and executed well. Some of the proportions on the captive on #31 and those Perez busy backgrounds don't come together as well for me.

#31's cover idea would make me want to actually flip through the issue over #38 though.

Leap Year Lord #868389 09/06/15 10:29 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
35: This issue (cover, story) just doesn't do much for me. Don't love it, don't hate it. A silent, still moment after what must have been loud action (smashing through window).

38. Ah, one of the big issues.

The 3D trail on the logo is gone -- good.

Noir. It *is* a detective story.

Here's a kind of "stylization" I don't believe we've seen in other covers: there are posters on the side of the building's remaining walls, but of course they aren't pictures of Donna.

Leap Year Lord #869155 09/13/15 02:27 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Leap Year Lord #869156 09/13/15 02:32 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Leap Year Lord #869157 09/13/15 02:32 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Thriftshop Debutante #869163 09/13/15 03:29 PM

Annual 1, easily.

The colors are more vivid, the layout and choreography more exciting.

The other one looks stiff and overly "posed" to me.

Leap Year Lord #869386 09/15/15 02:21 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
^ I agree with Fanfie. The colors really pop nicely, and the snowy background (both the wind and the rocks) is an excellent backdrop.

Kori, Dick and Blackfire out in front is more dynamic than the generic two sides running at one another layout.

Leap Year Lord #869809 09/19/15 03:38 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
12: the basic idea has been done umpteen times. This one, though! It's the colors. And how Donna and Kory center the piece.

Annual 1: Intellectually, I like this. The driving snowstorm fades/blurs the scene. That gives it a colored pencil effect that doesn't quite appeal to me.

Leap Year Lord #872115 10/10/15 06:41 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

2014 TPB:
click to enlarge

2010 Spanish TPB
click to enlarge

Leap Year Lord #872117 10/10/15 06:49 PM
I like the one in French best. The lettering is seems edgier, more urgent to me. The one in Spanish is striking in its lack of frills, but the dull gray background spoils the effect.

Leap Year Lord #885317 01/15/16 01:33 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
[Terry Thomas voice] Well hello there, you cheeky little thread[/Terry Thomas voice]

Another cover thread? By LLL?

I say!

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Leap Year Lord #896298 05/07/16 03:43 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
click to enlarge

2010 Spanish TPB
click to enlarge

2014 TPB
click to enlarge

Leap Year Lord #896299 05/07/16 03:48 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
click to enlarge

2014 TPB:
click to enlarge

TPB recolor DREADFUL.

Leap Year Lord #896480 05/10/16 11:26 AM
I prefer the Nuevos Titanes cover, because I like garish colors.

Leap Year Lord #896481 05/10/16 11:27 AM
What do you think is so dreadful about the 2014 recolor of the Frances Kane cover, Teeds?

Leap Year Lord #904156 07/29/16 09:30 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
That would be the garish colors. Not only do I not like them in and of themselves, but they mess with the original's palette balance.

Leap Year Lord #904166 07/29/16 09:44 AM
Ah, okay. Thanks for clarifying, Teeds. I respect your opinion, even though I disagree. As one of the old standards goes, "You say po-tay-toe, I say po-tah-toe, po-tay-toe, po-tah-toe, let's let the whole thing go." smile

Leap Year Lord #904212 07/29/16 04:36 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Is that a recoloring remake of Let's Call the Whole Thing Off?

OK, this has gone on for FOUR YEARS and we're only halfway done! Time to get cranking, sentients!

Leap Year Lord #904213 07/29/16 04:40 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Leap Year Lord #904216 07/29/16 04:58 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
One of the left looks to me like they hadn't finished drawing it. I prefer the one on the right.

Leap Year Lord #904584 08/02/16 08:49 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
And here I thought recent Hawkman depictions exaggerated the size of the mace. Sheesh.

Leap Year Lord #908348 09/10/16 10:01 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
I can't find anything wrong with either cover. They're both obviously well done. But neither one blows my wee fan mind, you know?

#4 gives us a little difference in the "teams face off" cover by arranging the groups horizontally rather than vertically.

This also puts the JLA in the center. There's some kind of dialogue (see Robin's pointing) but in this moment, the JLA is acting and the Titans are reacting. Pretty good cape action. Zat & Diana could probably make a good synchronized swim duo.

#25. Nice green tones.

Pov comes from the X'Hal school re: pants.

Dave Hackett #908356 09/10/16 12:44 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
And here I thought recent Hawkman depictions exaggerated the size of the mace. Sheesh.

Well you know what they say about a guy with a big mace...

RUN

Leap Year Lord #911308 09/29/16 11:31 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Leap Year Lord
Click to enlarge!

On 17
The concentric circles leading to both the focus of the cover and the story. The "She's Possessed" bit is unobtrusive, but the cover and interest would stand just as much without it. Perez has no background to better promote those circles, but has plenty of detailed debris in the foreground to further emphasis the threat.

That'll be Frances Kane in the middle. I was never that taken with her or her story. She just didn't come across as a string concept. If anything, she undermined Wally's story a bit. He's torn between the life of a superhero and having a normal life in Blue Valley. He's undecided. But Blue Valley isn't exactly normal if you have "possessed" super people about. And where there's one... I wasn't that convinced by her, when she showed up much later as Magenta either. It seemed at odds with what we had seen before.

Having said that, seeing a lot more of her private life would have really helped. We got hints, I think, but living more with her family and community would have really brought out how troubled, lonely and victimised she really was.

On 25
It's a lovely Triptych. Others have already mentioned the difference in facial features of the two sisters. One evil and triumphant and the other softer and weepy ('cause Marv likes weepies) As golden skinned as they are, Perez uses the shadows in their cheekbones to begin the bleed into the outer space backdrop where the story would be set. It's a great transition.

Robin leads a charge of the Titans into battle, which reminds me a bit of the cover to #1 and other, later reprises. It's no doubt deliberate that the cover similarities are due to the continuation here of the story set up in #1; Kory's battle with the Citadel.

I remember the annual a lot more than the issues leading up to it. There was a definite feeling that the team would be beaten, if not die. Things do go grimly for quite a time.

The Perez rendition of the Omega Men made them a bit too science fantasy for me, I think. I didn't read any of them until a lot later, and I think they hold up better there than in NTT. The latest 2015/16 run parallels a lot of the blood shed and conflicts of the original, showing how well it has stood the test of time.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Leap Year Lord #919729 12/31/16 06:53 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Thriftshop Debutante #940402 11/11/17 01:36 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

2014 TPB, 2017 Omnibus

2010 Spanish TPB
click to enlarge

Thriftshop Debutante #946529 03/29/18 03:18 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
click to enlarge

2010 Spanish TPB
click to enlarge

2014 TPB
click to enlarge

2017 Omnibus
click to enlarge

Thriftshop Debutante #955974 08/15/18 12:51 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Thriftshop Debutante #965179 01/01/19 06:03 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Originally Posted by Thriftshop Debutante on 12/31/16

No comments?

Leap Year Lord #965213 01/02/19 04:19 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Mine got taken over by Trigon and will be posted as soon they decide of what extra pair of sunglasses they like best.

Leap Year Lord #965347 01/04/19 09:12 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
In the Tamaran space-opera cover, it looks like Kommand'r is rationing grape juice to her sister through a test tube.

The cover with Wally's letter home is pleasant enough to look at, but I find it a bit dull.

If I had to pick one, it'd be Wally's letter.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Leap Year Lord #965393 01/05/19 02:51 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
23: I appreciate the layout and the starfield, but I'm just not that into it.

Not really into the letter one either.

Leap Year Lord #965526 01/09/19 02:41 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Leap Year Lord #965528 01/09/19 05:34 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Um...

Not crazy about either of them, TBH.

The pieta group gathering cover on the right is decent enough, but those Escher-esque maze kind of things surrounding the Titans are distracting.

The Brother Blood cover is uninspired. Total cliché, in my eyes at least.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Caliente, Fanfic Lady 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,928
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
walkwithcrowds
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
MYG
MYG
Sayreville, NJ
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star