Roll Call
1 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 33 Murran Spies, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:07 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:06 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:05 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:05 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/29/24 04:04 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/29/24 03:38 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Ann Hebistand - 03/28/24 05:24 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added ALEK ARCANE 4 February*
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 11:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The Judas Contract ----- the covers
#138734 05/12/12 01:40 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:
I can only speak for myself, but I read the "everyone has their own criteria" post as different strokes* for different folks/it's all good.
Maybe so, but I'm not sure why it was felt that I needed reminding of that fact.

In my experience the only times a person is told that "everyone has their own opinions" is when either -

A) they are a child and are unsure of how human interactions work; or
B) they are an adult on a message board who's just written something another person has taken offence to, so that person reminds them of A).

Anyway, I'm over it. Moving on...

Your level of analysis of these covers is amazing, TD.

I never noticed before that Part 2 is a twisted inversion of the 'Day in the Life' cover.

I love colourful old comics so all the different hues and tones on display here don't bother me. I wonder if Part 2's cover wouldn't have benefitted from a softer palette though - maybe just a light blue and red? The harsh and violent clash of colours does a good job of suggesting the shocking betrayal/violence that the book contains though.

I also agree that the Titans don't look concerned enough on the Part 4 cover. In fact, other than Gar, they don't look 'anything' enough. However, showing anger or whatever on the rest of the team's faces may have distracted from the fact that this was a Gar/Tara moment, and his betrayal was the worst.

Will you be examining any other old Perez Titans covers TD? There are so many good ones to choose from?

#138735 05/12/12 04:06 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Blacula:
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
[b] Everyone has their own criteria for what makes a cover 'good,' or even 'great.'
Gee, thanks for the condescending post.

I didn't realise these (still great) covers were off limits from mild criticism.[/b]
Blacula, you totally misread that. Not everyone likes the same stuff, and that's one of the things that makes life interesting and fun. It would be boring if everyone liked the exact same thing.

I wasn't trying to be condescending, but was trying to actually support your opinion of that cover. You have every right to like it or not, just like any of us.

Sorry if it came off the wrong way.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#138736 05/12/12 04:17 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
[b] I can only speak for myself, but I read the "everyone has their own criteria" post as different strokes* for different folks/it's all good.
Maybe so, but I'm not sure why it was felt that I needed reminding of that fact.

In my experience the only times a person is told that "everyone has their own opinions" is when either -

B) they are an adult on a message board who's just written something another person has taken offence to, so that person reminds them of A).

[/b]
Saw this after I made the above post. Thanks...

You forgot another possibility. Maybe the person had just found out that the bones in their foot are collapsing in on itself the day before, and had been sent home from their job that day...possibly for the duration of the healing process. Maybe I was just trying to distract myself by coming on here and made a few random posts to get my mind off of things. Like the fact that if the treatment that they are doing on my foot does not work, I am looking at loosing it within a few years,

So sorry if it somehow offended you. This will be the last time I comment on it. It will also be the last time I say anything about one of your posts for a while.

What I wrote did not personally insult you. You crossed that line. So I will keep my childish responses and leave you the hell alone.

#138737 05/12/12 04:21 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I apologize to everyone for the way this turned. Was not my intent at all.

-Dave

#138738 05/12/12 04:44 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
click to enlarge

BAH!! Part 3 is ALL about the new and intricate costumes!!

Although I think GP missed the mark on Jericho's boots ... and Slades for that matter ... I'm not sure if I was a ninja assassin if I'd wear floppy boots that could catch on everything.

Look how cute Deathstroke looks ... showing off his gun and staff .... "Im a badass ... now I'm gonna go kill some kids!"

GP can draw some thighs!

#138739 05/12/12 04:51 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I also love it in Part 4 when the Titans start kicking HIVE ass!

#138740 05/12/12 05:11 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I actually managed to get two of these issues in a row of the Trigon story the first time around ... my access to comics as a kid seems inconsistent in retrospect.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Some of, if not, THE best art ever is on the front and insides of these issues ... I probably copied the scenes from these 1000 times, if not more, and still ... not as good as GP.

#138741 05/12/12 05:15 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper

[b]BOOK 4

• I mentioned at the top of the thread that the blue "background" was very memorable for me, and I didn't remember it was Raven's cloak.

• I think the yellow of the logo works nicely with the blue, but again...I wish the secondary logo color wasn't red!

• Tara's head turning around was also memorable to me.

• The Titans do not look concerned enough here!

[/b]
I always thought that cloak thing was weird ... it looks cool but ... since GP always draws so real ... hyperreal ... the cloak just flattening out into the top of the cover just ... is strange to me ... my eyes do not compute from the hyper real to the abstract ...

#138742 05/12/12 07:33 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
[b]
[b] I can only speak for myself, but I read the "everyone has their own criteria" post as different strokes* for different folks/it's all good.

[/b]
Saw this after I made the above post. Thanks...

You forgot another possibility. Maybe the person had just found out that the bones in their foot are collapsing in on itself the day before, and had been sent home from their job that day...possibly for the duration of the healing process. Maybe I was just trying to distract myself by coming on here and made a few random posts to get my mind off of things. Like the fact that if the treatment that they are doing on my foot does not work, I am looking at loosing it within a few years,

So sorry if it somehow offended you. This will be the last time I comment on it. It will also be the last time I say anything about one of your posts for a while.

What I wrote did not personally insult you. You crossed that line. So I will keep my childish responses and leave you the hell alone. [/b]
Dev - Em -

I'm sorry if I reacted too harshly to your post. And I'm sorry about your foot.

It seems like there is some misinterpretation all round here - you don't see how I can have taken offence to your post; and I don't see how you can have been personally insulted by what I wrote to TD, or what line it was that I crossed.

I definitely do apologise for not giving you the benefit of the doubt though.

I hope your foot gets better.

#138743 05/12/12 08:29 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
click to enlarge

I didn't comment on the image of Tara on Book 1, which sounds about right for me. If you has asked me (before I purposely started staring at the covers for this thread) I could have described it fairly accurately: the six b/w grainy "monitor screens", the blue box at top, "The Eyes of Tara Markov!". I'd remember, but probably mention last, the partial, sketchy reflection of Tara -- not unlike how I am faintly reflected in my computer screen right now. It's a representation of her true motives -- definitely present, but not easily seen.

I like that Slade is one of the 6 images. He should be, as he is a major player here. Also: in the most literal sense Tara sees him, of course (the scene of the "image grab" is inside), but is she also watching him? We find out at the end of the issue that she wouldn't be the only one.

#138744 05/12/12 10:44 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I respond most to the Part 1 cover. The view-screens are very SLIVER and the title: "THE EYES OF TARA MARKOV!" is suitably creepy.

Tara violated the Titans in many awful ways.

This was really an historic storyarc. I hate that it is hard for me to get over Wolfman's missteps (Terry Long, Azrael, hating Duela Dent, a little thing called 'Crisis on Infinite Earths', etc) and allow myself to enjoy his TITANS run but there's no doubt Perez was at the top of his game in these days.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#138745 05/12/12 10:59 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
THE EYES OF THRIFTSHOP DEBUTANTE

Of course, I am viewing the covers through my own lens (heh): as someone who had been reading for awhile so knew the story and players when buying the issues off the stands. (I arrived at the party around the same time as Terra, BTW. Hmmm.....) Also, I've known these covers since 1984. This doesn't change the covers at all but might have an impact on how I perceive them.

My vote for the cover most likely to attract someone who was/is unfamiliar with the Titans: Book 1. There are questions to be answered! These people (and, uh, a bird...?) are being watched, but why? Oh, wait, there's a reflection -- who is that??

And that turquoise really does pop next to the black.

#138746 05/12/12 12:52 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
This is one of this rare stories that changes everything about a series. Nothing is ever truly the same--the characters, and even more, the tone of the series. The covers suitably have a grandiose feel of importance. Something else else major is going down.

Thriftshop Debutante #778882 07/07/13 10:35 AM
in season
in season
click to enlarge click to enlarge

Thriftshop Debutante #778883 07/07/13 10:35 AM
in season
in season

Thriftshop Debutante #778884 07/07/13 10:37 AM
in season
in season
click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Thriftshop Debutante #778885 07/07/13 10:38 AM
in season
in season
click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Thriftshop Debutante #779170 07/09/13 06:25 PM
in season
in season
click to enlarge

Leap Year Lord #779171 07/09/13 06:26 PM
in season
in season
TPB = UGH

Thriftshop Debutante #779172 07/09/13 06:27 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Better in concept than execution.

Thriftshop Debutante #779173 07/09/13 06:30 PM
in season
in season

Thriftshop Debutante #798031 01/02/14 09:31 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Another Book 3 cover added above.

Thriftshop Debutante #798077 01/03/14 02:08 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
One of the covers in this thread will betray the others. But which one?

I have very fond memories of this arc and the Wolfman/Perez run generally.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Thriftshop Debutante #926851 04/22/17 10:29 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

Leap Year Lord #942422 01/01/18 05:20 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

A few more Book 3 versions added.

To me, this shows how important the "smaller" details are in creating the whole package.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Caliente, Fanfic Lady 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,308
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
KidMarvel (Bunny)
KidMarvel (Bunny)
Newcastle Australia
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star