Roll Call
0 members (), 7 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 05:03 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 03/27/24 04:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/27/24 10:23 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:17 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:15 AM
Share more completely random things!
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:15 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 03/27/24 07:41 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Sell me on the Disco Era Teen Titans
Fanfic Lady #920970 01/22/17 06:26 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Did someone say "Orrery"?!

I'm so there.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thoth lad #920972 01/22/17 07:52 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
OP Offline
Originally Posted by thoth lad
Did someone say "Orrery"?!

I'm so there.

Awwww...thanks. smile

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Fanfic Lady #921145 01/26/17 03:14 AM
Active
Active
I was never a huge fan of the SA Titans, but once I discovered this run as an adult, I loved it to bits. I was mainlining 70s JSA and Superman Family, and this felt like a lot of the same energy. Since I wasn't a huge fan of the first run, this is "my" Mal Duncan, as strange, erratic and psychedelic as it was. And the Titans East story let me get to know some of the characters I missed from the first run (although the Baxter era was my real first introduction to Lilith.)

Harlequin was my real fav, which drove me down a Batman Family rabbithole. I've always been a little sad that the character has never really found her feet again after this run.

Listening to the Teen Titans Wasteland coverage of these issues has made me simultaneously a little eager and a little afraid to revisit this run.

Fanfic Lady #921146 01/26/17 03:20 AM
OP Offline
Thank you for chiming in, Dave.

There are going to be a LOT of Batman Family connections in my fanfic project (placeholder title: "THOSE 70S TITANS"), and I'm particularly looking forward to writing this one...Bat-Girl (BETTE) versus Batgirl (BARBARA) catfight batfight!

I'm also planning a scene where Mal good-naturedly informs his high school teacher, one Jefferson Pierce (hint, hint), that he sounds ridiculous using 60s slang in the 70s.

Fanfic Lady #921150 01/26/17 03:35 AM
Active
Active
Oh, the slang! I'm definitely looking forward to that.

Fanfic Lady #921173 01/26/17 12:38 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Dave.

And wait 'til you see Roy & Ollie getting into a generational argument about what constitutes "funky music." grin

Fanfic Lady #921254 01/28/17 07:24 AM
OP Offline
Guess what I found at the comic shop today, for only four dollars?

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net...52.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080730044927

I'll have read it and reviewed it before the end of this weekend.

Fanfic Lady #921265 01/28/17 12:55 PM
OP Offline
Oh, yeah, that review. Um...

Well, I finally fulfilled my curiosity.

Everything else I want to post is purely subjective.

(Except for the glaring coloring errors. And who was DC's art director at that time? Why, it was Vinnie Colletta! Yet again disproving the very notion of coincidence.)

Fanfic Lady #921267 01/28/17 02:48 PM
Active
Active
My feelings about that story were that the villains were very subpar for such a huge event, but it was still nice to see pretty much everyone who had ever been of any importance to the Titans (except for Mr. Jupiter) reunite for one last adventure. Plus a couple of new ones, although Golden Eagle never amounted to much in Titans lore, and Bette Kane (Bat-Girl) is only ever trotted out when they try to revive the Titans West concept. I seem to recall her palling around with Gar Logan around the time he reverted to Beast Boy.

Fanfic Lady #921271 01/28/17 03:50 PM
OP Offline
I haven't read any of Bette's appearances other than her guest-star bits in Barbara R-K & Karl K's wonderful "Hawk & Dove" series from back in the day, but I really like her, she's kinda like Marilyn Monroe's screen-persona in spandex, playing the dumb blonde because she thinks it'll help make her aspirations a reality.

As for Golden Eagle, he rivalled P. Craig Russell's sexiest 70s drawings of Killraven for sheer semi-clad male hotness. (I like long hair on men. A lot.) love

Fanfic Lady #921275 01/28/17 04:12 PM
Active
Active
I also wonder if that story was responsible for Beast Boy/Changeling's inclusion in the New Teen Titans. Yes, he made one other appearance in the Titans in the silver age, but I'm not sure if he would have even been in Marv Wolfman's mind in 1980 if he hadn't made a Titans-related appearance just a couple of years before.

Fanfic Lady #921277 01/28/17 04:15 PM
OP Offline
Good point. Young "Salad-Head" would probably have ended up being killed off in Crisis or something if not for this appearance.

FTR, Gar was my least favorite of the male members of the original NTT roster, and I could only tolerate him when he was bantering with Victor.

Fanfic Lady #921279 01/28/17 04:25 PM
Active
Active
I loved Changeling when I was a 9-year-old boy, but his chauvanism (no, let's call it what it is, his sexual harassment) ages HORRIBLY. The only thing worse than his comments are the embarrassment of having once thought it was funny.

Fanfic Lady #921283 01/28/17 07:05 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I have mixed feelings about that story so would not be surprised if you didn't like it FL. Especially as it's part 3 of 3 as I recall, so probably wouldn't make much sense if you haven't read parts 1 or 2.

On the one hand, I loved the Titans West concept that was first introduced in that story (and the first time such a concept had been used in all of comics, or so I've read).

And I love, love, love the 15 characters that made up the Titans in that issue (add Aquagirl and you've got my favourite group of Titans of all time; one of life's great tragedies is that we only ever got to see them together in two stories - this one and a flashback story during the mid-Baxter period - and neither were very good).

I loved the 'Titans Together' team photograph that appeared at the end of this issue too. I wish we'd seen call-backs to it in later comics over the years.

But as far as I recall, everything else about this story sucked. The villain/s were completely forgettable. The art was terribly lackluster. The attempt to recreate the famous JLofA style of splitting the team into smaller groups to go off and fight different menaces fell completely flat when we didn't even see what half the groups did (if I'm remembering that right?). The characterisation was pretty flat. All in all, it just didn't feel like much effort was put into it beyond the interesting idea for the sister-team on the West Coast. It's no surprise to me that this title was cancelled literally one issue later.

I'm not quite sure if this counts as the "Disco Era Teen Titans" since it was before the introduction of Joker's Daughter and Bumblebee and those more 70s concepts (but well after the introduction of the team's disco clubhouse so I would assume it does) but my favourite period from the pre-Wolfman/Perez era was when the team went on Scooby-Doo-style mystery-solving adventures circa Teen Titans #s 32-43. The moody and expressive art from the always amazing Nick Cardy was perfect, and the stories, with their focus on ghosts and witches and demons and spirits, were such an entertaining departure from literally every other Titans stories I've read.

Fanfic Lady #921292 01/29/17 12:25 AM
OP Offline
BFOB*, thank you for saying what needed to be said about Gar.

Blacula, funny you should mention the Scooby-Titans Era, as I happen to have a soft spot for it, for the same reasons you listed. If it had had enough of a sales turnaround for the TT comic and it had continued indefinitely in that vein, who knows what we might have seen. Perhaps Gnaark mutated into a talking dog with a perpetual case of the munchies? No points for guessing who'd fill the Shaggy role to Gnaark's Scoob (*cough* Roy *cough*)

RE: TT issue 52, I agree that it was not a good jumping-on point (though I'd ascribe the blame less to writer Bob Rozakis than to editor JC Harris, who'd just had the title dropped into his lap after Julius Schwartz had left.) There were other problems I noticed, two of the most frustrating having to do with the ongoing Marvel-ization of the DCU at that time. The Titans seem to spend an inordinate amount of pages not only fighting and insulting each other, but doing so without any wit or flair; then there's the Don Heck art -- Heck had been a mainstay at Marvel, so it was only natural that he would have brought the Marvel house style along with him, but it was no reason to phone it in -- and it's also indistinguishable from some of George Tuska's sloppiest, most ham-fisted DC art on Legion and other DC features, as Tuska had been cranking out a lot more pages for Marvel than for DC during the past several years. But here's the irony -- the book that finalized the Marvel-ization would be none other than New Teen Titans, with George Perez still in the process of evolving from an above-average practitioner of the Marvel house style, and the editor/writer team of Len Wein & Marv Wolfman also having spent the past several years at the Marvelous Competition and absorbing the better points of the writing innovations from Claremont, Engelhart, Starlin, Moench, McGregor et al.

*I think we really need to find a nickname for you; I'd suggest Brainy, but that'd depend on your opinion of Querl Dox.

Fanfic Lady #921305 01/29/17 07:46 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady

*I think we really need to find a nickname for you; I'd suggest Brainy, but that'd depend on your opinion of Querl Dox.

We could refer to him as our BF... lol

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #921308 01/29/17 08:27 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Paladin

We could refer to him as our BF... lol

I like it! nod

Thanks, Lardy.

What say you, Mr. Doty?

Fanfic Lady #921315 01/29/17 12:37 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Blacula, funny you should mention the Scooby-Titans Era, as I happen to have a soft spot for it, for the same reasons you listed. If it had had enough of a sales turnaround for the TT comic and it had continued indefinitely in that vein, who knows what we might have seen. Perhaps Gnaark mutated into a talking dog with a perpetual case of the munchies? No points for guessing who'd fill the Shaggy role to Gnaark's Scoob (*cough* Roy *cough*)

RE: TT issue 52, I agree that it was not a good jumping-on point (though I'd ascribe the blame less to writer Bob Rozakis than to editor JC Harris, who'd just had the title dropped into his lap after Julius Schwartz had left.) There were other problems I noticed, two of the most frustrating having to do with the ongoing Marvel-ization of the DCU at that time. The Titans seem to spend an inordinate amount of pages not only fighting and insulting each other, but doing so without any wit or flair; then there's the Don Heck art -- Heck had been a mainstay at Marvel, so it was only natural that he would have brought the Marvel house style along with him, but it was no reason to phone it in -- and it's also indistinguishable from some of George Tuska's sloppiest, most ham-fisted DC art on Legion and other DC features, as Tuska had been cranking out a lot more pages for Marvel than for DC during the past several years. But here's the irony -- the book that finalized the Marvel-ization would be none other than New Teen Titans, with George Perez still in the process of evolving from an above-average practitioner of the Marvel house style, and the editor/writer team of Len Wein & Marv Wolfman also having spent the past several years at the Marvelous Competition and absorbing the better points of the writing innovations from Claremont, Engelhart, Starlin, Moench, McGregor et al.

Oh was it Don Heck? That's awkward - I know a lot of people don't like him but his artwork on JLofA was some of the earliest American comics art I ever saw so I've always had a soft spot for him. I do agree that when he was bad he was really bad though, as he must have been in this storyline.

I totally forgot about the endless annoying bickering too. I wasn't and am still not familiar with the Marvel style of characterisation so I remember that seeming extremely unnatural and unnecessary to me.

Fanfic Lady #921316 01/29/17 01:49 PM
Active
Active
Either of those work by me. I'm a believer in the "you don't get to pick your own nickname" school. smile

Not really a huge fan of Don Heck's work, but it's such a part of my childhood that I get a certain nostalgic feeling anyway. It' s very odd.

Fanfic Lady #921320 01/29/17 02:39 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I've mentioned this around here before but I asked George Perez at a convention once who one of his greatest artistic inspirations was and he answered Don Heck of all people!?!

I would never have thought there were any similarities between their styles (especially since I always associate Perez with his highly detailed backgrounds while I'm not sure Heck even included backgrounds half the time haha) but Perez particularly praised Heck's panel layouts and clear storytelling ability, an art he said many modern splashy 'pin-up' style artists had not mastered. (I immediately thought of David Finch whom I consider one of the worst draftsmen in comics today.) I'm going to pay closer attention to that aspect of Heck's work next time I do a re-read.

Fanfic Lady #921322 01/29/17 02:55 PM
Active
Active
I have no visual artistic skills at all, so I probably miss all kinds of subtle things artists pick up from one another. I also would not have seen Heck as a Perez influence. That said, I'm not sure which GA or SA artists I would expect to be an influence on him.

Fanfic Lady #921334 01/29/17 05:42 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I'm not familiar with Heck's Teen Titans work but had been underwhelmed by a variety of fill-in work he did on various Marvel titles in the '70s. However, I recently discovered his run as regular artist on the Avengers between Kirby and John Buscema and really loved his work on those stories and characters. I was really surprised. If Perez was influenced by that work, I can't fault him.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Fanfic Lady #921403 01/31/17 12:49 AM
OP Offline
The thing about Heck's Silver Age Avengers run is that he was blessed with good inkers for a considerable portion of it:

- Dick Ayers, I feel, was merely functional, but acceptable.

- Wally Wood's style, OTOH, fit Heck's pencils like a hand in glove.

- John Romita Sr made Heck look more like Romita than Heck, but I love Romita's style, so I see it as a win-win.

- Frank Giacoia was probably the perfect middle ground for Heck, between his inks being unobtrusive and his making Heck's lines cleaner, smoother, and curvier.

- I didn't like the way Heck looked with him doing his own inks.

And I don't remember most of the inkers he had at DC, except for Brett Breeding, one of the most underappreciated inkers of the 80s and 90s, who inked one, maybe two, of Heck's JLA issues.

Fanfic Lady #921656 02/05/17 01:47 PM
OP Offline
Due to an unfortunate set of circumstances, "Those 70s Titans" has been delayed until at least the beginning of Spring 2017. Sorry.

Fanfic Lady #921801 02/08/17 05:02 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Don Heck was one of those artists who really needed the right inker for his art to shine. I remember him taking over Flash in the late 70's. I don't remember the inker, but at the time I hated the art.

But Don Heck did a nice run on Wonder Woman to close out the original title circa CoIE, and I was really impressed with his work. I wish I could remember who the inker was. I'm not sure but he might have inked himself in some issues.

Back to Titans - DC is releasing a Bronze Age Teen Titans omnibus this summer that will include all of the 70's revival issues along with some of the crossover issues from Batman Family that featured Robin, Bat-Girl, and Joker's Daughter/Harlequin.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Caliente, Fanfic Lady 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,269
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Joe Kalicki
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
String
String
The Bright, Sunny South
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star