Roll Call
0 members (), 11 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/24/24 05:07 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:53 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:50 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:49 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by stile86 - 04/22/24 08:12 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: New Teen Titans: Games
Fanfic Lady #919666 12/31/16 01:17 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
OP Offline
Sarky, I agree with some but not all your review, but I certainly do appreciate you giving the Titans forum a shot in the arm.

In a nutshell:

Raven = I agree with Sarky.

Cyborg = I disagree with Sarky.

Games = To be blunt, I could care less by this point, because it's done, dusted, and pretty much become a footnote as far as my perceptions of Titans fandom consensus go.

HOWEVER...Sarky's post has inspired me to strongly consider the possibility of a Wolfman/Perez-era Titans roundtable discussion thread. I've got too much on the stove right now, but there's a whole year ahead of us ATM, so we shall see.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Fanfic Lady #919668 12/31/16 01:24 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well I liked Cyborg in Games because that was the kind of Cyborg I'd prefer to read, the one who who worked with disabled kids and was very protective of his friends and loved ones to the point his anger could be dangerous if they were hurt. Not the Cyborg from Geoff Johns' Teen Titans who was contemptuous of Kid Devil and Ravager, or in Rise of Arsenal where he made that horrible prosthetic arm for Cyborg and joked about it, or went up to Booster Gold and acted snide as he talked about what screw ups the JLI were to the point Booster gave him a verbal beatdown.

Fanfic Lady #919686 12/31/16 02:41 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OK, I've ordered it.

This better be better than Space-Circus.

Fanfic Lady #919688 12/31/16 02:47 PM
OP Offline
I do believe Teeds has just given us a brand-new entry for the Quotes thread!! Thank you, angel. smile

Fanfic Lady #919692 12/31/16 02:55 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Sarky, did you like "Games" overall? Your comments seem very peripheral.

Anyone else ever read it? I recall being very tempted to buy it when it first came out, but it seems like reviews were very lukewarm.

I'm on and enjoying the fourth NTT TPB and am again intrigued by the prospect of having this bonus Wolfman/Perez Titans collaboration to eventually cap it off.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Fanfic Lady #919693 12/31/16 03:00 PM
OP Offline
Oh, Lardy, just wait 'til you get to the recent released FIFTH volume of NTT. You are in for *such* a *treat*!!

(I'd post a link to my NTT 28-31 thread in this forum, but that would spoil key moments, so do please avoid that thread until after you get to NTT volume 5.)

AND, as it happens, said NTT trade is winging has been its way towards my local library. It may arrive as early as Monday.

Fanfic Lady #919694 12/31/16 03:03 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I just ordered NTT Vol. 5 a coupla days ago as part of my Christmas In-Stock Trades order! grin

Lard Lad #919695 12/31/16 03:06 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Paladin
I just ordered NTT Vol. 5 a coupla days ago as part of my Christmas In-Stock Trades order! grin

YAY

And vols. 6 & 7 should see the saga through to the end of the Judas Contract, if my calculations are correct. I'm already anticipating discussion of whether or not the Terra/Brotherhood/Raven arc in vol. 5 is even better than TJC, or vice-versa.

Fanfic Lady #919696 12/31/16 03:08 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Oh yeah, I did like Games. I'm sorry if I sounded too contradictory.

Sarcasm Kid #919698 12/31/16 03:22 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
Originally Posted by Paladin

YAY

And vols. 6 & 7 should see the saga through to the end of the Judas Contract, if my calculations are correct. I'm already anticipating discussion of whether or not the Terra/Brotherhood/Raven arc in vol. 5 is even better than TJC, or vice-versa.

I've read Judas Contract, thanks to an old TPB I've had. It's interesting to see that Terra had a fairly long association with the team before that story. I'm interested to see it play out.

Originally Posted by Sarcasm Kid
Oh yeah, I did like Games. I'm sorry if I sounded too contradictory.

It's okay--it's kinda your thing! wink

Fanfic Lady #919736 12/31/16 10:50 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I read it. It was decent, not Wolfman's or Perez's best work IMO. The story is decently engaging and has some nice twists. Each of the Titans gets their solo battles.

There was a part with Jericho I didn't like,
implying that he had several simultaneous girlfriends. I get them trying to buck stereotypes and make the sensitive artist guy a ladies' man too, but they went too far. At one point the Titans go around warning and collecting those most dear to them to keep them safe. Jericho has Nightwing leave messages for not one, not two, but at least SEVEN girls. And at the beginning of the story a girl he was with seems to refer to Jericho as a boyfriend. So that's not just him being charming, which is fine. He seems to be actively leading these girls on and it's not clear if they know of each others' existence.

There was also a
death of a fairly good supporting character, she went out a hero so it was a "good" death. And it's clearly non-canon so that takes out the sting a bit.

Fanfic Lady #919746 01/01/17 01:31 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I got it a little while after it came out. I've only read it the once, I think. but that was more to do with time issues, and then I tripped across a site that had something to do with a Legion group...

I'll dig it out for a reread, but from my memory cell...

I thought that the story was a little bit of a throw back, to the worlds of gimmicky, one shot, villains. I think I'd read a number of better one shot gimmicky villains too.

With it's never ending schedule, you can see that it had an impact on the regular title, in that a character vanished from that book.

Had it been released at the time, then both plot and characterisation would have been a fairly seamless fit. It was about standard writing quality from the Titans after those first great years.

Before Armageddon 2001, this would have been another shot at Wolfman trying to make Danny Chase come out looking a bit better.

I don't remember too many character moments. If memory serves, this would have set been before Titans hunt. So Cyborg would still have been the original version. Raven would have gone into her White costume, on her way to becoming a lot less interesting.

On Ibby's Jericho spoilered text, I thought I'd seen hints of that (in terms of numbers) in the regular book. But perhaps I'm just thinking of Games all along.

On the art, it wasn't Perez at his absolute best for all sorts of issues. But having said that, there's lots of craft in there, that a younger Perez wouldn't have had. It's still more than worth it, just for that.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Caliente, Fanfic Lady 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,918
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
wndola1
wndola1
New England
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star