Roll Call
0 members (), 14 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:23 AM
Share more completely random things!
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:23 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:22 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
Legionnaire Mastermind
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 03/28/24 06:21 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 28 MARCH*
by razsolo - 03/28/24 06:18 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: What is Your Legion World Story?
#337978 11/18/11 11:13 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
One of the first things I did when I got a computer with an internet connection was sign up on the DC Message Boards. As a lifelong comic book geek and Legion fan it seemed like the natural thing to do. I was more of a lurker - and occasional poster. I commented on current issues and memories of growing up with the Legion. I was aware that things were getting silly on the Legionnaires board. It was amusing but not really my thing, so I avoided it and stuck mainly to the main board.

I wasn't really aware of the whole migration to Rob's boards and home hopping. At some point, shortly after Legion World was established, somebody must have sent me a link or announced the establishment of this place on the DC message boards. My profile shows that I signed up in October 2003, so I made my way over early.

Again, it was more about keeping up with the Legion comics and participating mainly in conversations about memories of Legion books than actively participating in the growing community. I was never a prolific poster, but was pretty consistently present. As time moved on, I guess you guys got under my skin. I gradually participated more and more.

My partner was diagnosed with cancer about three years ago. He had been pretty sick for almost a year before the official diagnosis. So, a once active social life evolved into quiet nights at home. No more going to the bars, concerts, theatre or fabulous dinners. His energy level has declined. Quiet nights at home evolved into me tucking him into bed shortly after dinner and facing some long and lonely nights. I started spending more and more time on line in the evenings, and now come to Legion World almost every night. The sense of community that is present here has become an important part of my life. It helps provide some balance and levity in some pretty crazy times. Legion World has become a safe harbor in an enduring storm. In short, you guys and gals rock and I am grateful for the time I get to spend with you.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#337979 11/18/11 11:21 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I Just read Cobie's entry, and had to comment before I return to read the rest of the thread--

As I have never had any significant absence from the LMB that I can recall, I can state confidently that Cobie's absences were awful periods of time that only Absinthe could help me get through.

Cobie, I know I can say in a non-embarassing way that I love you, and the LMB would not be the tiniest fraction of what it is without you, son!!

And now I wish I had said that in a non-embarassingly way, but, y'know, that's the LMB for you!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#337980 11/18/11 11:27 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Great, I guess the old blowhard (me) is now gonna comment on EVERONE'S entry... forgive me, y'all...

Dev-- I *totes* remember you being the 25th person to post for membership on the original LMB thread (which I think I have on a disc somehere...)!

And I totes remember seeing pictures of your baby girl... possibly on the old LMBP Yahoo group??? Is that even still there?? And it is SO COOL to see the little lady she has grown into, as well as seeing your son (via Facebook, these days)!!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#337981 11/18/11 11:29 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by rickshaw1:
Vell, it vass shpringtime undt ze cannibus vuss in bluum...zen, i met zomvon called mmmmmlashz undt vee rest vuss historee!
I can't understand a WORD you are posting!!!! *glares at Rick, then laughs hysterically*

#337982 11/18/11 11:36 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Future King... 2007? That was, like, 4 years ago!! Is it crazy that I still think of you as a newbie we all should be hazing??? wink

Sharklad... All I needed to see was "Lash Lad" in your post... everyone may now bestow love upon me for ensuring that you rejoined our ranks! (Seriously though... your absence too was felt hard by me, and I was elated when you returned!!)

#337983 11/18/11 11:40 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by LASHbrain:
I Just read Cobie's entry, and had to comment before I return to read the rest of the thread--

As I have never had any significant absence from the LMB that I can recall, I can state confidently that Cobie's absences were awful periods of time that only Absinthe could help me get through.

Cobie, I know I can say in a non-embarassing way that I love you, and the LMB would not be the tiniest fraction of what it is without you, son!!

And now I wish I had said that in a non-embarassingly way, but, y'know, that's the LMB for you!
Love you too older brother! smile

All these years together on the boards...sometimes I remember conversations from like 10 years ago that make me laugh. I can't imagine *not* talking to you everyday about some cool topic (especially if one our names are in the thread title! laugh )

#337984 11/18/11 11:47 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Great, I guess the old blowhard (me) is now gonna comment on EVERONE'S entry... forgive me, y'all...

Dev-- I *totes* remember you being the 25th person to post for membership on the original LMB thread (which I think I have on a disc somehere...)!

And I totes remember seeing pictures of your baby girl... possibly on the old LMBP Yahoo group??? Is that even still there?? And it is SO COOL to see the little lady she has grown into, as well as seeing your son (via Facebook, these days)!!
Thing is, my daughter cannot wait until I eventually let her join. She once said to me, that she hopes that this place is still here when she is older.

btw, just checked and the Yahoo group os still there...no activity for about a year or so though...Allen was the last to post.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#337985 11/18/11 11:49 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Jerry, having you make the leap to prominent poster in a wider variety of the forums has been great! You always have great comments on an array of topics--and for me particularly, I really pay attention to your comic reviews, as I think we often have similar tastes.

Now we need to give you an LMB superpower and codename. laugh

#337986 11/19/11 12:02 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Des, anyone---where IS "Who Are You?" these days? I assumed it was on Losers LMB Archives, but it's not--I checked. Pretty sure it's saved somewhere....

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#337987 11/19/11 12:05 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
[b]Great, I guess the old blowhard (me) is now gonna comment on EVERONE'S entry... forgive me, y'all...

Thing is, my daughter cannot wait until I eventually let her join. She once said to me, that she hopes that this place is still here when she is older.

btw, just checked and the Yahoo group os still there...no activity for about a year or so though...Allen was the last to post.[/b]
THAT IS SOOOO COOL that she wants to join!!! We promise to be on our BESTEST BEHAVIOR when she does!!!!-- just warn her about any thread I post in.... especially if it involves discussion of China Cat...

#337988 11/19/11 12:10 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Des, anyone---where IS "Who Are You?" these days? I assumed it was on Losers LMB Archives, but it's not--I checked. Pretty sure it's saved somewhere....
I thought it was...major bummer.

#337989 11/19/11 12:11 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
[b]
[b]Great, I guess the old blowhard (me) is now gonna comment on EVERONE'S entry... forgive me, y'all...

btw, just checked and the Yahoo group os still there...no activity for about a year or so though...Allen was the last to post.[/b]
THAT IS SOOOO COOL that she wants to join!!! We promise to be on our BESTEST BEHAVIOR when she does!!!!-- just warn her about any thread I post in.... especially if it involves discussion of China Cat...[/b]
It'll be a few more years...got other things to prepare her for first...other 'talks' to have. smile

#337990 11/19/11 12:13 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Jerry, having you make the leap to prominent poster in a wider variety of the forums has been great! You always have great comments on an array of topics--and for me particularly, I really pay attention to your comic reviews, as I think we often have similar tastes.

Now we need to give you an LMB superpower and codename. laugh
I especially love Jerry for TWO very important reasons (to me):

1. Lucinda Williams. SAY NO MORE. I love you, you are my friend, and I understand everything you feel and everything you ever HAVE felt.

2. TMK version of LSH. I *love* the five years later LSH, but somewhere on this message board (I am FAR too drunk to look for it) is the absolute most passionate endorsement of this era (made by Jerry) that I have EVER SEEN... SO passionate, in fact, it made me feel like I didn't appreciate the era ENOUGH-- which I now know I totes DO-- but still, his words were THAT POWERFUL.

Anyhoo, it was then that I knew Jerry was a kindred LSH spirit to me, and anything else was just icing on the Legionnaire cake.

#337991 11/19/11 07:51 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Lardy & Dev, the 'Who Are You?' thread is saved on the LMB Yahoo Group. I don't like to it in the history because you have to log-in to see it.

I reread it about 5 years ago and it's mind-blowing awesome. I'm overdue or a reread.

#337992 11/19/11 08:15 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Future King... 2007? That was, like, 4 years ago!! Is it crazy that I still think of you as a newbie we all should be hazing??? wink

I know eh? (the "eh" is purely for my friend Dev's enjoyment)

It's actually been almost 5 years now! Can you believe that??
I too still feel like a newbie so, uh...errr....ummm, haze away! laugh

#337993 11/19/11 09:54 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
"Springtime for Rickshaw?"
Springtime for... Rickshaw? I can kind of see that happening.

#337994 11/19/11 10:02 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Originally posted by Ghost Girl:
[b]
I do miss the rest of you, and will be on at least once more in mid-December, if only to keep up with tradition.
You are greatly missed (as I hope you saw me intentionally reference in a thread earlier tonight)! But I look forward to your annual toast, Ghost![/b]
I echo Lardy - I'll be looking out for it too. And, see you on the Legion World page on Facebook laugh

#337995 11/19/11 10:09 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
[b]

[/b]
I'm pretty sure it still will be laugh Whoa, get ready for the next generation, Legion World!
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Lardy & Dev, the 'Who Are You?' thread is saved on the LMB Yahoo Group. I don't like to it in the history because you have to log-in to see it.

I reread it about 5 years ago and it's mind-blowing awesome. I'm overdue or a reread.
I signed up for the YG a while ago but never got around to reading it. I think I should - it'll be like going back in time and watching how the Beatles formed. Mind-blowingly AWESOME!

#337996 11/19/11 04:04 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
My Legion World story is quite boring. I was on the DC boards. Can't remember how I got on them. When they closed down for the make-over. I tried Rob Whatshisname's board. Didn't end up going there much. But I think it was there where I saw people talking about Legion World. So, I came to Legion World. And 34k+ posts later, you guys haven't kicked me out yet. I mean how can I brag about getting kicked off message boards when you don't kick me out?

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#337997 11/19/11 04:10 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Sharklad... All I needed to see was "Lash Lad" in your post... everyone may now bestow love upon me for ensuring that you rejoined our ranks! (Seriously though... your absence too was felt hard by me, and I was elated when you returned!!)
hug Lash hug

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...
#337998 11/19/11 06:25 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

#337999 11/19/11 06:33 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by future king:
I know eh? (the "eh" is purely for my friend Dev's enjoyment)

Thanks you ever so much...

#338000 11/19/11 07:31 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
My ten-year anniversary is in two weeks. Expect French.

I started reading the DCMBs in 2001. Late one night, after reading through the boards of the books I followed, I wasn't ready to sign off and went looking for other forums. LSH...I read dozens of LSH issues when I was a kid, so why not?

I stopped in because I wasn't ready to call it a night, and I stayed because the Legion board was having fun, more fun than any forum I'd seen. After a week or two, I registered and posted. I understand there was immediate speculation elsewhere that I was an altID (oh, whatever) and male (oh, really now).

Legion fan? No, I identified myself as a part-time slip-shod half-assed Legion reader --- in a thread thus titled, as is the Teeds way. (It tickled me to be name-checked a couple of times as "really knowledgeable" about LSH stuff. I was winging it!) Ever in search of pun material, I tracked down most of the back story. Adventure Era and 5YL in particular were worth the trouble.

After the DC board implosion, I followed the group and registered here at LW on the first day it was open.

Dream Girl is still my favorite Legionnaire.
I'm still totally going to marry Lester Spiffany.
And I'm still here for the fun!

#338001 11/19/11 08:05 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Happy anniversary, Teeds!

My own tenth anniversary was last January. I had been to a rec.arts Legion forum for about six months in 2000, but there wasn't much activity on it. Somehow, I found my way to the DC boards and registered on January 7, 2001.

I didn't quite get the LMBP at first. I wanted to talk about the Legion, and I had no time for the silliness, the role playing, and the collective story telling (which flourished in spite of DC's edict that original stories were prohibited). I remember getting into debates with certain posters and enjoying the exercise in critical thinking.

But, gradually, the silliness and community aspect won me over. I remember posting a filk of The Hollies' "Carrie Ann" about Invisible Kid coming out. I emailed three openly gay posters first (LASH was one of them) to see if they found it offensive; LASH and Ger responded that they not only found it unoffensive but funny (the third didn't respond) -- I guess that was the first time I felt there was more to this community than just names on a computer screen.

I was saddened to see DC cancel the original board, but I remember the fun we had posting freely on what was to be the final day, in May 2003. However, I followed the community to its ill-fated sojourn on Rob's board. Somehow, I missed the Ships and Giggles board that briefly followed.

Scott (Lightning Lad) then invited me to this board, and I registered on July 6, 2003, two days after its launch. I've been around ever since, except for a six-month period in 2004-05, when I thought the time I spent on the Internet was contributing to certain upheavals in my life.

I've come to realize that Legion World is a rare blessing: a place to not only hang out and have fun, but a gathering of like-minded yet diverse individuals who share ideas and their lives openly and with concern for each other. Coming to LW always feels like a celebration, not only of the Legion but of life in general.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#338002 11/19/11 08:15 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Question, was Art a member before our stint on Superhero Chat? Or did he join us there?

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,277
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Joe Kalicki
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star