Roll Call
0 members (), 7 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 05:03 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 03/27/24 04:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/27/24 10:23 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:17 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:15 AM
Share more completely random things!
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:15 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 03/27/24 07:41 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: What is Your Legion World Story?
#338028 11/22/11 07:15 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
TornadoTwins

#338029 11/22/11 04:29 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
In 1999, I found the rec.arts Legion board & the DC Legion board & started posting on both.
The other posters at rec.arts were mean, bitter, humorless & argumentative, so I stopped going there. The posters at the DC boards were less so(except for that evil sk8maven), so I stayed.
12 years later & a different board(our own board)-I'm still here!!

#338030 11/23/11 04:33 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
And the posters here are nice, sweet, funny and still argumentative, but polite at least? laugh

Sometimes it's hard to imagine how time could pass so quickly!

#338031 11/26/11 10:13 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Moi? Argumentative?

poke

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#338032 11/27/11 04:39 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Only if you WANT to be argumentative laugh

#338033 11/29/11 08:20 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I should tell some religion forum stories soon. Now those are some exciting stories! I've had many really good, really bad, and really sad experiences with those sites. I almost became Moderator of one, but rejected it because I was already Moderating a comic book site.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
#338034 12/12/11 12:09 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Would love to hear some of your stories, Emily!

And the stories of everyone else!! Post, people, post!

#338035 12/22/11 02:28 AM
Active
Active
*hic*

#338036 12/22/11 03:57 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Anita Cocktail:
*hic*
This story parallels much of early LMB history!

#338037 02/14/12 06:51 PM
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
I know that this is a very belated post, but I've gotten out of the habit of looking at the Mission Monitor Board for some reason. God knows why, since the people who post here are generally intelligent, warm, and very, very humourous.

Anyway, I came here after having one-too-many flames wars with a couple of people on the old DC board. I'd come to to realize that comics aren't worth getting hot and bothered about--they're supposed to be fun. So I made a public apology to those I'd been warring with (Sk8tmaven in particular), and foreswore returning online hostility with pointless counter-hostility ever again.

I then began lurking more and more at Legion World because a few posters had mentioned it on the DC board, and referred to the fact that LW encourages polite and respectful discourse. What made me finally become a member rather than a lurker was an e-mail or message from EDE (I can't remember on which board) that commiserated with me about the increasingly hostile dialoging on the DC board at the time, and urged me to give LW a try.

So I did and I've never looked back since. I may not post as often as I should or come to the Mission Monitor Board very much, but I do check Legion World almost every day (hah, maybe I'm still sort of a lurker after all in some ways!). And I really do value the kindness, humour, and strong sense of community that's displayed here. So thanks very much, everyone. smile

By the way, I just noticed that I became a LW member way back in 2005. Now, I know that I'm not a prolific poster, but when will I finally become a full-fledged legionairre? Sheesh--it looks like I'm gonna be old and grey before that happens at this rate. Ha ha! lol

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#338038 02/14/12 07:33 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
Mediocre Boy,

Once a lurker, always a lurker. wink

To get the Legionnaire status you need 2958 posts. You do have a ways to go as you only have 477. Although if you go to your profile and click update, you will not have "Honorary" as a user title, but "Active". You can find the user titles and the number of posts to get in the faq under "What are user titles?"

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#338039 02/15/12 06:26 PM
Thanks, Quislet, Esq. smile

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#338040 02/18/12 04:46 AM
B
Deputy
Deputy
B
I came to know the wonderful world of LW through Invisible Brainiac. He told of good stories about this site (he's a persuasive speaker which makes me wonder why he's not in Sales or Marketing) and I was totally convinced to sign up. Special thanks to Nightcrawler for helping me create my account.

Neither a fan of Legion nor comics in general, I was intimidated to post on my first day and found the discussions too much to digest in 1 sitting. Heck, I didn't even know what Legion was until IB told me about it. He was kind enough to walk me through the boards and recommended the Legion Outpost for starters.

I immediately felt at home here and started posting on my second day. I found the posts witty, funny, and lively. Members respected each other's view and gave equal value to all posts, regardless of membership status.

I hope to make friends here too, as I know that this is a community brimming with humorous, intelligent, warm, and young (and young at heart) people with interesting personalities.

Soon, I hope to start reading the Legion so I can relate and contribute to the topics here.

I wouldn't be here if not for Invisible Brainiac, of course. So thanks baby!

#338041 02/20/12 08:54 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Originally posted by Mediocre Boy:
I know that this is a very belated post, but I've gotten out of the habit of looking at the Mission Monitor Board for some reason. God knows why, since the people who post here are generally intelligent, warm, and very, very humourous.

Glad you decided to jump in (and not just cause it's a thread I started tongue )! Keep it up Medicore Boy wink

Originally posted by Blaze:
He told of good stories about this site (he's a persuasive speaker which makes me wonder why he's not in Sales or Marketing) and I was totally convinced to sign up. Special thanks to Nightcrawler for helping me create my account.

I wouldn't be here if not for Invisible Brainiac, of course. So thanks baby!
You're welcome baby!

PS, you're such a flatterer tongue

Originally posted by Blaze:

I immediately felt at home here and started posting on my second day. I found the posts witty, funny, and lively. Members respected each other's view and gave equal value to all posts, regardless of membership status.

I hope to make friends here too, as I know that this is a community brimming with humorous, intelligent, warm, and young (and young at heart) people with interesting personalities.

I didn't tell Blaze to say that. Honest laugh

#338042 04/02/12 08:51 PM
Active
Active
It's funny to see some of my earliest days with the LMBP recounted through other people's eyes.

The beginning of my story is pretty typical. In the spring of 2001, I was lurking on the DC message boards when I saw that some posters were doing more than just talking about the Legion -- they were creating their own online personas and having fun with them. I signed up, and one of the people I got to know soonest was bellbookcandle/Seahorse -- whom I also had the opporunity to meet later that year. Unfortunately, he never made the move over to LW, but I'm glad we still manage to keep in touch through the magic of modern-day social media.

It's really the continuation of my "story" over the last 11 years that's been more amazing. Like Cobie said, there are times when I think of things that someone posted 9 or 10 years ago, and laugh out loud -- and marvel that the memory is still so vivid.

Some of my favorite recollections include:

- My first trip in 2001, when I met Seahorse, Terence, and Looks That Kill Lad (Paul). Memorable for so many reasons, both happy and sad.

- The utterly insane escapades that took place on the DCMBs forum for The Remarkable Worlds of Phineas B. Fuddle. Seriously, it was crazy. Part of the fun was seeing how much we could push Rob Kamphausen before he actually dropped the ban hammer. Side note: Boaz Yakin, the esteemed creator of Phineas B. Fuddle, also birthed such cinema classics as Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights.

- The almost-as-crazy posting period on the intermediate MB that immediately followed the DCMBs. I forget the name of it, but it was almost completely freeform because you didn't have to create a fixed screen name and commit to posting under it -- you could just make a new post under whatever name you wanted at the time. Needless to say, there were a lot of alts...

- Rob Kamphausen's boards, for a brief period. Most of his hangers-on there epitomized the definition of "troll."

- The Dallas meet-up (that steakhouse with all the cut up neckties!); the Boston meet-up; and, of course, San Diego 2008. (I have a funny feeling I walked by Ex at some point during the con, and just never knew it...) The rooftop at San Diego, then ice cream at Ghirardelli's, and the dueling pianos place... double-fisting drinks...

- Riding back to Pov's with Cobie after the Boston con. That was most definitely a CRAZY couple of hours I'll never forget -- nor ever speak of again!

- Plus all the mini meet-ups across the country and in England over the years -- beer, pizza, BBQ, margaritas, and haggis! (Not all at the same time...) Riding a log flume with OMEGA Matt... testing the limits of Abin's agoraphobia on the Stratosphere tower!

I look forward to seeing what the next decade will bring.

♦ Translated from 31st century Texan to 21st century English ♦
#338043 04/04/12 09:10 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Raging Bull:
I signed up, and one of the people I got to know soonest was bellbookcandle/Seahorse -- whom I also had the opporunity to meet later that year. Unfortunately, he never made the move over to LW, but I'm glad we still manage to keep in touch through the magic of modern-day social media.
You're still in touch with Seahorse?!?! I wasn't aware that anyone still was! How's he doing, and what's he been up to?

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#338044 06/16/12 07:44 PM
Active
Active
I just joined Legion World only a couple of days ago, but I've been checking in on these posts for a number of years.

I first got acquainted with the Legion by reading old issues that my older brother had collected during the 1960's and 70's. I fell in love with the comic at that point. Timber Wolf, Ultra Boy, Lightning Lad and Cosmic Boy were my favorite characters.

I started my own collection with issue #303 (Sept. 1983) and faithfully collected all the Legion titles until #38 Baxter series (1987) when I quit my senior year of high school to save up money for college. I wanted to collect the Legion again after college but discovered that the Legion had been rebooted and lost interest, though my collection traveled with me over the years. When I discovered the Legion cartoon series I became like a kid again. My wife just rolled her eyes and joined me in making the Legion must-see TV.

I stopped by Legion World and other Legion sites many times over the years to see what was going on but never bought any comics since my "Legion" was long gone. Then last year, after I bought my iPhone and off-the-cuff decided to download the DC Comics app and discovered Legion Lost #1 with Timber Wolf, Dawnstar, Tellus and Wildfire on the cover, I was hooked because I knew the old Legion was back! Needless to say I've spent the last 10 months collecting all of the past issues of the retro-boot Legion to get back up to speed. Fortunately I don't have to collect all of the past 20 years since all of the re-boots don't fit into current continuity. (Though I do feel bad with you guys who lost "your" versions of the Legion when it got re-booted over and over throughout the years.

By the way, my favorite Legionnaires are still Timber Wolf, Ultra Boy, Lightning Lad and Cosmic Boy. To that list I now add Dawnstar, Dream Girl, the revised Tyroc, Tellus and Invisible Kid II.

The Legion has been the only comic I've ever collected (except for the short-lived Atari Force). I prefer my comics set in the future so that there might be a possibility that those events could happen some day.

Thanks for letting me be a part of Legion World!

#338045 06/16/12 07:57 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Originally posted by Raging Bull:
[b] I signed up, and one of the people I got to know soonest was bellbookcandle/Seahorse -- whom I also had the opporunity to meet later that year. Unfortunately, he never made the move over to LW, but I'm glad we still manage to keep in touch through the magic of modern-day social media.
You're still in touch with Seahorse?!?! I wasn't aware that anyone still was! How's he doing, and what's he been up to?[/b]
Is he on FB?!?!?!

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#338046 06/16/12 07:58 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Welcome to the party Leather Wolf. Glad you decided to stop lurking and take the plunge.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#338047 06/16/12 08:11 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Welcome Leather Wolf! Jump right in ! laugh

#338048 06/17/12 11:02 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Welcome, Leather Wolf! You should try to collect the rest of the Baxter series after 38 and then sample Vol. 4. thru around issue 60 (the first top-to-bottom reboot happened after that). It was a controversial run, but it continues the Levitz run after an in-story 5-year gap in which the Legion breaks up. Some here hated it, some loved it. (Count me among the ones who loved most of it.) In any case you gotta read it to believe it! nod

Hell, even the reboot that happened after Zero Hour is worth checking out! It's mostly very good, imo, with only one really forgettable period.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#338049 06/17/12 02:37 PM
Active
Active
Thanks for the recommendation Lard Lad! I have already started working on collecting the rest of the Baxter series. It's a good read. I'll have to sample the 5 year gap, but my next goal is to start filling in the gaps prior to my 1983 collection.

#338050 06/17/12 03:36 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Welcome to the party, Leather Wolf! laugh

Originally posted by Leather Wolf:

(Though I do feel bad with you guys who lost "your" versions of the Legion when it got re-booted over and over throughout the years.

Thanks for letting me be a part of Legion World!
Thanks for the sympathy. There are quite a few of us Postboot Legion fans here, though I'm happy to say that the majority of posters appreciate elements of all Legion "boots".

It's our pleasure to have you on board!

And I agree with Lard Lad's recommendation - Ultra Boy and Cosmic Boy were among the most prominent Legionnaires in the vol. 4 run, and Tyroc and Invisible Kid II also had very good development during that run. And let's just say you'll see a very different side of Dream Girl in those issues!

Good luck with your collection - I believe a lot of us had to scour the back issue bins of many comic book shops to complete ours, so maybe some of the great people here can suggest some places for you to continue your search.

#338051 06/18/12 11:39 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Leather Wolf:
Thanks for the recommendation Lard Lad! I have already started working on collecting the rest of the Baxter series. It's a good read. I'll have to sample the 5 year gap, but my next goal is to start filling in the gaps prior to my 1983 collection.
I highly recommend the Legion Archives as a nice way of collecting early Legion stories. The recently published Volume 13 contains Levitz's earliest Legion tales.

Invisible Brainiac #784948 08/26/13 09:56 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
All you newer posters out there, come on in and share your stories with us!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,269
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Joe Kalicki
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
String
String
The Bright, Sunny South
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star