Roll Call
1 members (thoth lad, thoth lad, thoth lad, thoth lad, thoth lad, thoth lad), 12 Murran Spies, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 04/19/24 10:51 AM
Kill This Thread L - Half a Century
by Ann Hebistand - 04/19/24 10:20 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Reboot - 04/19/24 04:18 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/19/24 01:49 AM
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/18/24 02:08 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/17/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 36 of 58 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 57 58
Re: The Moaning, Groaning, I just want to Vent thread
Quislet, Esq #925760 04/13/17 03:54 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Moving is stressful
I try to do a little bit everyday
Today I dropped off a huge bag of clothes to the local charity

Quislet, Esq #927497 05/05/17 09:30 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I was supposed to bring boxes to the post office but it's raining and I don't want to be drenched while walking the 5 blocks

Quislet, Esq #927608 05/05/17 03:05 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Rubbish week at work.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Quislet, Esq #927663 05/05/17 06:59 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
There is a ZERO percent chance of me going out tonight ... No matter how much this man asks me

Last edited by Myg - Andy S; 05/05/17 07:00 PM.
Quislet, Esq #927951 05/08/17 07:14 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
First world problems, but:

My LCS is getting out of the comic business. They've always been a used bookstore first, and then had comic subscriptions business that ebbed and flowed, but now the US exchange rate has finally forced them to drop comics altogether. I've been shopping there for over 20 years, so it's a bit sad. They also had the advantage of being a few blocks from my house, and opened at 8:00 am, so I could pick up Wednesday's comics on my way to work and read them at lunch.

The only other game in town is inconveniently located downtown, doesn't open until 10:00 most days, and has exorbitant mark-ups on their books (guess in the long run it was a smart move for them, but stinks for me).

Quislet, Esq #927953 05/08/17 08:08 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I'm sorry to hear that, Dave. I know how an LCS can be much more than just a place to buy comics.

Quislet, Esq #927966 05/08/17 09:34 AM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
DX

Only one thing to do, Dave: you've gotta' start your own comics shop.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
cleome57 #927978 05/08/17 11:04 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by cleome50
DX

Only one thing to do, Dave: you've gotta' start your own comics shop.

Ha! The very first thing my wife said to me when I told her it was closing:

"You are NOT opening your own comic shop!"

Quislet, Esq #927984 05/08/17 12:17 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
She knows you so well tongue

Quislet, Esq #927987 05/08/17 12:21 PM
Mrs. Dave doesn't have to contribute a (Canadian) penny to this venture. That's what GoFundMe and Kickstarter are for!

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Quislet, Esq #928033 05/08/17 08:49 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
That's hysterical

Yeah, the brick and mortar stores do seem to be in a bit of trouble. Sigh.

Dave Hackett #928950 05/17/17 08:16 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
First world problems, but:

My LCS is getting out of the comic business. They've always been a used bookstore first, and then had comic subscriptions business that ebbed and flowed, but now the US exchange rate has finally forced them to drop comics altogether. I've been shopping there for over 20 years, so it's a bit sad. They also had the advantage of being a few blocks from my house, and opened at 8:00 am, so I could pick up Wednesday's comics on my way to work and read them at lunch.

The only other game in town is inconveniently located downtown, doesn't open until 10:00 most days, and has exorbitant mark-ups on their books (guess in the long run it was a smart move for them, but stinks for me).

To add to my previous rant. We were given a letter on the 1st explaining the situation and what the transition would look like and were assured that our pull lists would be filled until the end of the month.

Well, I arrived today to find no new books and a notice that due to people not clearing out their files, they've decided to stop receiving shipments immediately. So no new comics with no advanced notice at all. My subcription starts at the other place at the first of June, but now I have to find the missing stuff from this week and next in the interim. I recognize they are in dire straights, but feels like a kick in the teeth to a long-time loyal customer.

Quislet, Esq #928952 05/17/17 08:26 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Wow ... I know things are hard, but that's a terrible way to exit

Quislet, Esq #929551 05/24/17 11:27 AM
Ugh.

Related: our favorite Friday Night Nachos joint has undergone managerial overhaul. Price hikes, portion shrinks, and in a hilariously petty turn, they've decided not to give out free chips when you come in. You've gotta' pay for them.

They literally printed on their new (less diverse) menu that they'll be adding a mandatory charge to all bills this summer because the state has hiked Minimum Wages.

Y'know... all I can say as an ex-server is, quit whining, Management Clowns. Raise prices outright, like everyone does, and deal. Stop pinning your woes on people who are trying to make a living in one of America's most expensive cities.

I could go on for 20 paragraphs, but you get the picture.

mr_cleome and I sat there on our (likely last-ever) visit, glumly picking at our tiny, now-crappy portions of food and noticing that we didn't even recognize any of the servers anymore. They probably all quit in disgust or got sacked.

Quislet, Esq #929562 05/24/17 12:58 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Sigh, it's sad when favorite places experience such a big negative change.

Especially when businesses think cost-cutting is the only way to go. Not everyone has to compete on low prices.

My own little vent - I'm involved in organizing a fairly big event, and am in charge of publicity and communications. I'm good at writing messages but hamstrung by lack of creative talent. The target audience apparently hates the organizing institution, and our team lead seems to think that everything can be solved by spamming people with emails thrice a week - but I've said again and again since the start, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT ME TO COMMUNICATE WHEN THERE ARE NO DETAILS TO COMMUNICATE??? We even got feedback directly that people were offended that we communicated the event price without including a detailed agenda for the day or the dinner venue...

... and he still says, "don't bother with the details, just send an email again. Anyway, every time we send an email some new people register."

:bangs head on wall:

Quislet, Esq #929569 05/24/17 01:07 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Engage with your target audience and, in the absence of being able to provide any information, get your audience to let you know what *they'd* like from such an event. Be sure to put your leads e-mail addy for all that great feedback! smile

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Quislet, Esq #929572 05/24/17 01:10 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I thought of that (great minds think so much alike wink ) problem is, he is even more up-to-date on his emails than I am... and will just forward everything to me! mad

Quislet, Esq #929595 05/24/17 04:42 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
That's when you setting up your autoforward rule to return them straight back comes in handy.

Quislet, Esq #929602 05/24/17 05:38 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
And plaster his name everywhere so everyone goes to him. I like how you think!

Invisible Brainiac #929749 05/26/17 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Sigh, it's sad when favorite places experience such a big negative change.

Especially when businesses think cost-cutting is the only way to go. Not everyone has to compete on low prices.

Yep, and this place was never going for dive bar clientele anyway. Dive bars can be fun, of course. But this has always been a spacious, well-lit room with stuff for families on one end: even a little playroom for kids. On weekends, they even turn part of the space into a mini-dance studio. Maybe keeping those extras will keep bringing customers in. shrug I just won't be among them.

Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
My own little vent - I'm involved in organizing a fairly big event, and am in charge of publicity and communications. I'm good at writing messages but hamstrung by lack of creative talent. The target audience apparently hates the organizing institution, and our team lead seems to think that everything can be solved by spamming people with emails thrice a week - but I've said again and again since the start, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT ME TO COMMUNICATE WHEN THERE ARE NO DETAILS TO COMMUNICATE??? We even got feedback directly that people were offended that we communicated the event price without including a detailed agenda for the day or the dinner venue...

... and he still says, "don't bother with the details, just send an email again. Anyway, every time we send an email some new people register."

:bangs head on wall:

I wonder how many new people register each time versus how many want to kill someone. shake

Quislet, Esq #929792 05/26/17 05:02 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
In my last few months in the Philippines, I also came to develop some favorite hang out spots... The ambience counted for as much as the food and drinks. I'm sorry this place has changed so much, cleome.

This event I am helping organize will be done in a month, and all I want is for it to be over tongue

Quislet, Esq #929803 05/26/17 11:27 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Summer tourist traffic. Today I had a "sudden decel event being recorded". Why? because at mile 92 on I20 I topped a rise at 68 mph in a 70 mph zone and traffic on the other side of the hill was at a dead stop. Why? Because some dumbasses FIVE EFFIN MILES UP THE ROAD had been pulled for drunk driving and open containers. When I finally got there the traffic was opening up and their forties and empty bombay sapphire gin bottles were on top of the car. There was no wreck. Cops weren't diverting traffic. Just fuckin' lookyloo's slowing everything to a damn standstill so they could gawk at the people on the side of the road.

At least I was smart enough to go through Chattanooga and Knoxville and not Atlanta. Had another sudden decel event there YESTERDAY not because I was doing anything wrong, but because some pissy little wannabee fast and furlorn decided to cut me off and fill the space between me and the car in front of me. Buffer zones are there for YOUR PROTECTION, dumbass. Not mine.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Quislet, Esq #937850 09/23/17 02:29 AM
I'm not sure how it happened, probably sunspots or something. BUT my multi-year art block suddenly ended a few weeks ago. I pulled a bunch of small, never-completed roughs out of mothballs, and got them assembled, corrected, sealed... the whole thing. I borrowed $60 on credit and updated my art account (same one in my sig line) so it'll show all the stuff I've uploaded.

Also, I raced around like a Filing Demon for almost two weeks in my little corner "studio" space: Organized, cleaned, improved... the space is looking better than it has in a long time.

So... the venting part: last month I'd tested out our old scanner to make sure it would work. I was all psyched Friday morning to finally upload my newly completed stuff. BUT... all of a sudden the scanner and my Mac aren't on speaking terms anymore. scream Tech support couldn't help... the manual couldn't help... and the Mac store never returned my message.

sigh

Quislet, Esq #941059 11/24/17 03:29 PM
strange but not a stranger
OP Offline
strange but not a stranger
So, for the day after Thanksgiving, my organization has a skeleton crew. If you have off, you get paid. If you work, you get a day off at another time of your choosing (within 60 days) So, in one of the departments on my floor, this new woman started. She was the only one in her department. She said how she was told that she could also have taken the day off if she wanted to. At about 10 (we start at 9) she says to me and another person working "You won't tell anyone if I leave right?" I thought she was joking, but later when I brought the mail over to her, she was gone. So in effect she is getting 2 paid days off.

I'm thinking that she might not last too long.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
Quislet, Esq #941068 11/24/17 08:57 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
I would hope so. Someone that dishonest is not good team/organizational material.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Page 36 of 58 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 57 58

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,018
Posts1,044,849
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
thinbalion
thinbalion
Arlington, VA
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star