Roll Call
0 members (), 7 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread XLIX - We're Getting Old
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 05:03 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 03/27/24 04:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by idle - 03/27/24 10:23 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:17 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:15 AM
Share more completely random things!
by thoth lad - 03/27/24 10:15 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 03/27/24 07:41 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Legion Creator Tenure
#365555 07/24/08 11:09 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Sadly, that Website no longer exists, but some of my biographies are available on Jefferson Airplane's official site. Here's one example.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#365556 07/25/08 06:55 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Thanks for the link. Nice site. Great band. Great job on the bio's.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#365557 07/25/08 07:13 PM
Thanks. It was a blast being able to research and write about them.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#365558 07/25/08 08:08 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
What does everyone else think? Should L.E.G.I.O.N. be added to the list? I've got two yes votes, so far.

Frankly, I forgot about Valor. Two Legionnaires, plus to Legion ancestors, plus a whole lot of Legion pre-history (although more and more of it retconned all the time) would argue for the series inclusion. I think I'm leaning that way, myself.

Thoughts?
You definitely can't include solo series...if you do this becomes a totally different list with guys like Jerry Siegel, Jim Mooney, Curt Swan and Cary Bates smashing everyone else and not entirely due to the number of Legion stories they have produced.

And I can see point behind that against argument with the Wanderers as well, since they didn't really have many ties to the Legion other than a shared Universe/Timeframe.

L.E.G.I.O.N. on the other hand did feature multiple true Legionaires and their ancestors, and it was almost exlusively created, written and drawn by renown Legion creators like Mark Waid, Barry Kitson and Keith Giffen who all had multiple and lengthy turns on the actual Legion book. I always thought of it as a Legion book...sure not all the characters were recognizable...but you could say that about several versions of the actual Legion since then as well.

#365559 07/25/08 10:03 PM
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
Yeah, I'm leaning toward including L.E.G.I.O.N.

We may be on different pages regarding solo series, though. I include things like Karate Kid, Cosmic Boy, Timber Wolf and Inferno. I don't include Superboy and Supergirl stories unless there is a significant Legion connection.

#365560 07/26/08 03:29 PM
T
Active
Active
T
I agree with Portfolio Boy. Superboy and Supergirl were created for non-Legion stories and I don't think of them as Legionnaires first.

Tom Strong, on nostalgia: "I suppose it's a ready substitute for genuine feeling."
- Tom Strong #6, Alan Moore
#365561 07/26/08 07:38 PM
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
Originally posted by andrewnolan2001:

I do recall promising to send you a paper copy of your original list. If you still have a need to reference your old list, just send me a message and I will be sure to make this a priority.

No need to go to the touble. However, please advise if you spot any errors on the list. A great many people helped with the original version and I have no doubt that I allowed errors and typos to creep in when rebuilding the list.

#365562 07/27/08 09:13 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I think it's just amazing that there are so many whose contribution to Legion lore is so out of proportion to their actual number of complete issues (Cockrum, Grell) versus those who wrote or drew so many issues that don't seem to have had any long lasting effect on what we consider "important" stories; this list seems to show that there's an awful lot of those reboot stories that don't seem to have made a whole lot of difference to a lot of us.

The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!
#365563 08/04/08 06:06 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Creators tend to last much less than the labourers, and that's all to common in franchise comics. That is all. The creators which rose the Legion to new heights, for all I know, is Siegel/Swan (converted the Legion into an actual team, not a one-shot), Shooter (for introducing half of the Legion's universal concepts), and Cockrum/Levitz (rest is history).

Who brought them to new lows? John Byrne, for you-know-what. Giffen, for a big you-know-what, though he deserves a high for unknowingly converting the Legion into a more fanfare-centered franchise... and Waid, Waid, and Waid. The Legion of Three Waids consist of throwing away a 35-year old cornerstone of DC and eliminating its potential for mass (by that I mean 'general population' mass) popularity), THEN revamping a relatively young revamp to attempt getting kids to read it (well, at least he convinced at least one wink ), and when that wasn't successful... bringing in a Super to 'aid' the Legion, which is always effective. Not!

"For some reason I can't explain or understand, and probably never will... EVERYTHING comes from SUPERMAN." - Alexander Luthor, Jr.

Unfortunately, the Legion is no exception.
#365564 08/04/08 07:18 PM
Active
Active
Sorry, but to ignore Levitz/Giffen or Levitz/Lightle is simply unforgivable. And I'd say Keith solo was the ultimate high, for proving the Legion could be way more than funny costumes and fist-fights.

#365565 08/05/08 03:22 PM
Active
Active
PenaltyKillah, though I am thinking totally different about Giffen, I love your comment about Waid... he really is kind of a tragic figure, being such a big fan but failing so miserably in all his attempts to "right" the book...

#365566 08/05/08 04:20 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Chemical King:
PenaltyKillah, though I am thinking totally different about Giffen, I love your comment about Waid... he really is kind of a tragic figure, being such a big fan but failing so miserably in all his attempts to "right" the book...
To Waid's defense, his early issues on Legionnaires were very good, much better than what was going on on the "adult" (dumber) title. And I think the reboot itself was wrong, so I wouldn't blame Waid for trying something else because this is what DC had asked him. And you can't fix what was good in the first place (as time has proved).

#365567 08/06/08 04:14 AM
Active
Active
That's right, but wasn't Waid some kind of an editor back then when Zero Hour destroyed my faith in the comic book industry? I don't know for sure but as far as I remember, he very gladly jumped on the "let's erase all Legion Lore" bandwagon...

But while Waids fault concerning Zero Hour might be discussed, I still am totally aghast how a splendid writer like him could come up with such a callow concept for the Legion Threeboot...

#365568 08/06/08 04:24 AM
Active
Active
That's right, but wasn't Waid some kind of an editor back then when Zero Hour destroyed my faith in the comic book industry? I don't know for sure but as far as I remember, he very gladly jumped on the "let's erase all Legion Lore" bandwagon...

But while Waids fault concerning Zero Hour might be discussed, I still am totally aghast how a splendid writer like him could come up with such a callow concept for the Legion Threeboot...
The only time Waid was an Editor for DC, he was also the Editor for the first 5 issues of the 5YG. He didn't do editing long...about a year or so. He got out of editing when he quit the 5YG....was still in the 80's I think.

#365569 08/06/08 04:34 AM
Active
Active
Waid never got to write the Legion he wanted to write...5YG wasn't the Legion to him, it wasn't the Legion to a lot of us. And this is not a bash...it's just a statement that it wasn't the Legion that made a lot of Legion fans, Legion fans.

To me the 5YG is no different than the end of the Levitz run, the Reboot, the Threeboot...none of them were the book I really wanted to read. So I don't think Waid commited some horrible crime by rebooting the title..IMO it had already been rebooted and the original Legion was already gone. And I think that's the way Waid felt too..and the reason he rebooted the 5YG was so the continuity would make sense. But anyway, they were all reboots to me. The Legion was no longer special to me when Waid rebooted it...either time.

And none of them are really any better or any worse...I think Shooter has done the best Legion since the Crisis...but it's not that great.
It's still not the Legion to me. It's just basically a team book. I will give Shooter this...the book doesn't feel like as much of a retread to me for some reason with him writing it...and the characters seem more alive(even with the bad dialogue).

But now...I am pretty damn tired of rebooting. I don't really care anymore, I just want them to stop rebooting the title. Just find one that works and stop rebooting it. But they aren't going to stop doing that until it sells better.

I am sick of sitting through the reintroductions/intepretations lol. That is old...

Because every time they just have to throw some tweaks in there...and they don't really do anything new. They don't really introduce anyone new...the last memorable villains created for this book, were created by Jim Shooter back in the Silver Age. That is lame...

#365570 08/06/08 07:03 AM
Active
Active
We had this discussion, and talked about the reasons why to me, the Legion that grew up with me (though with major continuity challenges) felt very real and the Kiddie book that followed did not.

But that is the past, and you're right: it is not funny to get a new legion version every five years or so. thus, they never will be able to build up some decent "Legion Lore" to thrive from. The series was robbed its history, its tradition - you say it was in 1985, I'm saying it was in 1994, still since then, hardly any "new history" was established. The Reboot had its (few) moments, but mostly they tackled problems like Tangleweb - the really "history making" events like White Triangle were too few, they thought it would be better to send half of the team to the 20th century for a year to do some crossover galore...

And the Threeboot continuity feels incredibly bland, not a hinch of "history feeling" there til Shooter took over.

Another reboot is just another attempt to bring back old glory. But even if "Legion Lore" in its classic version is reintroduced - thus providing the book tons of loose end stories to thrive on - there probably won't be a large enough crowd to sustain it. We saw what the nitpickers did to Lightning Saga and Action Legion - they just did not want to accept it.

But what is the solution? Continuing the current Threeboot will never succeed, not with the shipwreck that Mark Waid delivered as a basis. Of course, with all its blandness there is a lot that any writer can add without contradicting anything that came before...

But I'll take the Classic attempt. I liked Lightning Saga for its feeling, Action Legion for its story, both for the characters featured: Classic Legionnaires who might just be the original ones.

And maybe, they could finally add some new villains too...

#365571 08/06/08 10:19 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Well, I meant Giffen's 'new low' as in his choice to defect the Legion from Levitz's run, to 'pay respect' or whatsoever. Or he couldn't think of a storyline to continue from the Magic Wars. What he should deserve, though, is giving the Legion a new high in storytelling quality, especially in character depth and stuff. I did not ignore the major players in the Legion's tenure, just those who initiated its descent into new heights (that's why there's Cockrum but not Grell - though copying Cockrum's designs off his sketchbook has certainly helped) or the lows (so I wouldn't blame McCraw, Peyer, or Stern, who pulled off an impressive half-decade of Archie Legion issues - they did the best under what the editorial imposed upon.)

"For some reason I can't explain or understand, and probably never will... EVERYTHING comes from SUPERMAN." - Alexander Luthor, Jr.

#365572 08/06/08 10:38 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by PenaltyKillah:
Well, I meant Giffen's 'new low' as in his choice to defect the Legion from Levitz's run, to 'pay respect' or whatsoever. Or he couldn't think of a storyline to continue from the Magic Wars. What he should deserve, though, is giving the Legion a new high in storytelling quality, especially in character depth and stuff. I did not ignore the major players in the Legion's tenure, just those who initiated its descent into new heights (that's why there's Cockrum but not Grell - though copying Cockrum's designs off his sketchbook has certainly helped) or the lows (so I wouldn't blame McCraw, Peyer, or Stern, who pulled off an impressive half-decade of Archie Legion issues - they did the best under what the editorial imposed upon.)
Giffen did an homage to Levitz by starting a-fresh, but not ignoring the past. Keith had such a great respect for the original run he did something that not even DC board dared to: re-think the LSH but recognizing what came before. Fine thread to run, in fact. So fine nobody was able to do so after him.
At that time, there was no Sandman or Starman, which became sole properties of Gaiman and Robinson. Giffen thought that chapter of Legion had to be finished at that point. Which makes Keith's choice even more impressive, because it would be much simpler to keep going from The Magic Wars, for obvious reasons.
And I was not impressed by Archie Legion. I am impressive how long it lasted considering nobody dares to place it into one the best runs of the book. For much less, Keith, Tom & Mary were "left in the dark" and "shot" by TPTB.
I am still waiting for a real reappreciation of TMK's run by DC. A HC should be just the beginning of it... smile

#365573 08/06/08 10:44 PM
Substitute
Substitute
But that is the past, and you're right: it is not funny to get a new legion version every five years or so. thus, they never will be able to build up some decent "Legion Lore" to thrive from. The series was robbed its history, its tradition - you say it was in 1985, I'm saying it was in 1994, still since then, hardly any "new history" was established. The Reboot had its (few) moments, but mostly they tackled problems like Tangleweb - the really "history making" events like White Triangle were too few, they thought it would be better to send half of the team to the 20th century for a year to do some crossover galore...
I concur. The editorial at DC, Byrne, Giffen's creative decisions... you gotta admit, it hurt the Legion's potential of keeping up with the Titans and possibly the X-Men. If something (in this case, any Legion incarnation after CoIE) doesn't have sufficient time to build up and generate the hype and lore needed to create some buzz, it would be even more difficult to instantly start all over, especially when the backstory isn't there, references and relevances to the past are insufficient or just superficial, etc. One more note about Keith... while I mentioned before that his decision to deviate from the previous run, he did bring in a whole new fanbase with plots that, compared with comics published that time and even now, managed to humanize the characters that we all love. And especially for a futuristic book leaning on the sci-fi genre! For that, I tip my hat to Keith, as well as Tom & Mary.

#365574 08/06/08 11:06 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Ricardo:
Originally posted by PenaltyKillah:
[b] Well, I meant Giffen's 'new low' as in his choice to defect the Legion from Levitz's run, to 'pay respect' or whatsoever. Or he couldn't think of a storyline to continue from the Magic Wars. What he should deserve, though, is giving the Legion a new high in storytelling quality, especially in character depth and stuff. I did not ignore the major players in the Legion's tenure, just those who initiated its descent into new heights (that's why there's Cockrum but not Grell - though copying Cockrum's designs off his sketchbook has certainly helped) or the lows (so I wouldn't blame McCraw, Peyer, or Stern, who pulled off an impressive half-decade of Archie Legion issues - they did the best under what the editorial imposed upon.)
Giffen did an homage to Levitz by starting a-fresh, but not ignoring the past. Keith had such a great respect for the original run he did something that not even DC board dared to: re-think the LSH but recognizing what came before. Fine thread to run, in fact. So fine nobody was able to do so after him.
At that time, there was no Sandman or Starman, which became sole properties of Gaiman and Robinson. Giffen thought that chapter of Legion had to be finished at that point. Which makes Keith's choice even more impressive, because it would be much simpler to keep going from The Magic Wars, for obvious reasons.
And I was not impressed by Archie Legion. I am impressive how long it lasted considering nobody dares to place it into one the best runs of the book. For much less, Keith, Tom & Mary were "left in the dark" and "shot" by TPTB.
I am still waiting for a real reappreciation of TMK's run by DC. A HC should be just the beginning of it... smile [/b]
Holy wow... not one for TMK? Very uncalled-for... and the Archie Legion's run was 'impressive' for staying that long without any intervention from above. If DC thought that Reboot was delighting the bulk of the Legion's fanbase, especially the ones enchanted by TMK, by keeping Waid's non-editorial decision... and more significantly, letting sales plummet during that decade... they were very wrong indeed. I mean, the
'90s was, all in all, the Great Depression for the comic medium. Creator-owned comics was on the rise, Giffen did something like it with his deviation of the Legion, but the point is that those great comic franchises were able to survive with all the licensing deals for those Saturday morning cartoons. It was the time when alternatives had to be explored for those companies to survive, and bringing back the Legion's old times (especially a retelling of the Swan and Shooter years) didn't cut the cake.

#365575 08/06/08 11:32 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy
BTW, DeCarlo is on the list at #8 (41 books worked on). I have Laroque bit further down the list:

15. GREG LaROCQUE: 33
(LSH3 17-48p — LSH3A 3p)
I'm amazed he was only on for 33 issues. I hated his art some much that I actually stopped reading the Legion for a couple of months before starting again like a crazed junkie.

Originally posted by Superboy
It could just be that it seemed to last an enternity because I literally hated what DeCarlo's inks did to poor Greg Laroque's pencils. I always figured Larocque had to be somewhat of a true gentleman because DeCarlo ruined his stuff month after month. To the degree that I'd say the pairing was a career setback for LaRoque. His other work he's shown to defeinitely have a fantasy-esque flair to his work that always kind of reminded me of a sci-fi version of Esteban Maroto...but the result of the pairing with DeCarlo was just ugly art.
But now, based on Superboy's comment, I guess I have to track down some example of Laroque's work in other books. I've hated his stuff for so long, it's probably time that I give him a second look.

Originally posted by PenaltyKillah
... and Waid, Waid, and Waid. The Legion of Three Waids consist of throwing away a 35-year old cornerstone of DC and eliminating its potential for mass (by that I mean 'general population' mass) popularity), THEN revamping a relatively young revamp to attempt getting kids to read it (well, at least he convinced at least one [Wink] ), and when that wasn't successful... bringing in a Super to 'aid' the Legion, which is always effective. Not!
(Dons fireproof suit) I actually really enjoyed Waid's recent work on the book. I was just fine with a new reboot considering that the Legion that got "booted" this time wasn't "mine." I'd really disliked the DnA run on the book and wanted to see the team get back to more of a club atmosphere. To me, WaK's Legion felt more like "my" Legion than the Reboot Legion ever did. One of the highlights of Comic-Con for me was catching Waid at the end of a Boom! Comics panel (it was right before the Keith Giffen spotlight in the same room) and telling him how much I'd enjoyed it.

#365576 08/06/08 11:45 PM
Substitute
Substitute
As much as I enjoyed Threeboot, I imagined it as a better fit if it was an Image Comics series or something... that's how far it was from the original look and feel of the Legion, the one that was progressively building to be one of DC's cornerstones... yet it kept getting shifted around, not allowing the sands of time to build around it. All in all, Mark Waid's a genius where it counts. But directing the Legion back to the right track? Not so much.

#365577 08/07/08 01:06 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Director Lad:
Originally posted by Superboy
It could just be that it seemed to last an enternity because I literally hated what DeCarlo's inks did to poor Greg Laroque's pencils. I always figured Larocque had to be somewhat of a true gentleman because DeCarlo ruined his stuff month after month. To the degree that I'd say the pairing was a career setback for LaRoque. His other work he's shown to defeinitely have a fantasy-esque flair to his work that always kind of reminded me of a sci-fi version of Esteban Maroto...but the result of the pairing with DeCarlo was just ugly art.
But now, based on Superboy's comment, I guess I have to track down some example of Laroque's work in other books. I've hated his stuff for so long, it's probably time that I give him a second look.
Try his Flash run with Mark Waid and José Marzán Jr. He is one of my favorite Flash artists. And Mike DeCarlo is a great cartoonist (most of his work is with Captain Carrot and Archie, for instance), but definitely not good with superhero fare.

(Dons fireproof suit) I actually really enjoyed Waid's recent work on the book. I was just fine with a new reboot considering that the Legion that got "booted" this time wasn't "mine." I'd really disliked the DnA run on the book and wanted to see the team get back to more of a club atmosphere. To me, WaK's Legion felt more like "my" Legion than the Reboot Legion ever did. One of the highlights of Comic-Con for me was catching Waid at the end of a Boom! Comics panel (it was right before the Keith Giffen spotlight in the same room) and telling him how much I'd enjoyed it. [/qb]
I gotta agree with you that Threeboot is way better than the Reboot ever was, but in spite of some highlights, most of his run was undermined by irregular pencilling, a very weak board concept (youth against adults cannot endure too long) and some lack of characterization.

#365578 08/07/08 01:54 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Ricardo:
And Mike DeCarlo is a great cartoonist (most of his work is with Captain Carrot and Archie, for instance), but definitely not good with superhero fare.
I can't think of Mike DeCarlo ever doing any pencilling...although I am sure he did.

I think you got him confused on the Archie stuff though, with Dan DeCarlo...the guy that was the Archie artist decades, and he was a great cartoonist, especially outside of his Arhcie stuff. But even that Archie look was copied by DC and Marvel(or hell maybe it was Dan DeCarlo himself doing it).

#365579 08/07/08 01:56 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Director Lad:
He's much better without Mike DeCarlo overpowering his pencils with all those heavy inks.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,012
Posts1,044,269
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Joe Kalicki
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
String
String
The Bright, Sunny South
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star